PDA

View Full Version : Waveblade/armblade help-may have already been covered...

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-29, 09:58 PM
So in one of the Soul Caliber games, you could make your own character and what weapon the character used was based on his "job". The only jobs I remember were thief and bard, because those were the only ones we used. Anyway, the thief started with the ability to use a single dagger in fights, but later on, you could equip him with "wave blades", which were blades that ran back along the forearm and you kind of spun and stuff to attack with them.

I was just wondering if anyone had done a homebrew of such a thing. I was thinking I might try to make some if no one else had.

Also, given the nature of them, I was thinking somehow they might give you some AC benefit or something? What do you guys think?

bobthe6th
2012-07-29, 10:00 PM
could use the hidden weapons from CS... thats all I can think of.

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-29, 10:20 PM
I'll have to look into it when I find my copy. But I'm looking for more an exotic, somewhat defensive weapon than a concealed weapon.

bobthe6th
2012-07-29, 10:31 PM
could just increase a punch dagger to martial with some added things... or shift it to exotic. like make it 1d6 x3 +2 shield ac? dunno on balance there...

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-29, 10:36 PM
That's something I've been thinking about more and more lately. Like I learned 4E because it's the only thing I can find a group for and in it, punching daggers do d6 damage, which to me, makes sense, as all the replica katars I've seen are friggin' huge.

But I digress. Balance is the main issue there. I would probably make it exotic just because for something like that, it's a little out there and taking a feat to use it would make up for some of the balancing issues. I'm thinking maybe make it so that the AC bonus only works if you dual wield them or something. I dunno yet.

vasharanpaladin
2012-07-30, 12:34 AM
I've played the game in question. They're basically scimitars, no need to reinvent the wheel.

If you're insistent on it, tho, start with the scimitar and make it a light blade with the defensive property, but bump it up to a superior weapon. Either way, it's going to cost a feat to get it.

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-30, 12:49 AM
I've played the game in question. They're basically scimitars, no need to reinvent the wheel.

If you're insistent on it, tho, start with the scimitar and make it a light blade with the defensive property, but bump it up to a superior weapon. Either way, it's going to cost a feat to get it.

Well, I specifically liked the flavor. I get your point about not re-inventing the wheel, but I specifically wanted something that's feasible without taking the dervish PrC or taking oversized two-weapon fighting.

Also, I'm wanting this for 3.5, not 4E, so defensive is out. Sorry for not saying so sooner.

PaintByBlood
2012-07-30, 04:35 AM
Sounds a little bit like getting two daggers, and taking Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Weapon Defense.
If it's exotic (probably ought to be), and using both together gives you +1 shield AC, then you're mechanically identical to having to take those two feats, so probably no problem in it. (And Two-Weapon Defense is only a problem if you'd want them to be able to stack some extra AC, because normally shield AC doesn't stack.)
If you want them both to give +1 AC, probably not a huge deal, as it still wouldn't stack with a typical shield, and exotic means more costly to start with, and more difficult to get ahold of (with a DM who cares at least).

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-30, 05:14 AM
Sounds a little bit like getting two daggers, and taking Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Weapon Defense.
If it's exotic (probably ought to be), and using both together gives you +1 shield AC, then you're mechanically identical to having to take those two feats, so probably no problem in it. (And Two-Weapon Defense is only a problem if you'd want them to be able to stack some extra AC, because normally shield AC doesn't stack.)
If you want them both to give +1 AC, probably not a huge deal, as it still wouldn't stack with a typical shield, and exotic means more costly to start with, and more difficult to get ahold of (with a DM who cares at least).

So are you suggesting an additional +1 shield AC on top of TW Defense? And given the size of the blades, I would say more than 1d4 damage would make sense.

PaintByBlood
2012-07-30, 05:43 AM
So are you suggesting an additional +1 shield AC on top of TW Defense? And given the size of the blades, I would say more than 1d4 damage would make sense.

No, I'm mostly saying that if you want it you'll need to specify it as, normally, shield AC bonuses don't stack with eachother. More specifically, I'm saying that you wouldn't have to worry about potential imbalance there, because unless you said so a player wouldn't be able to take Two-Weapon Defense and get that second bonus ontop of having the bonus from the weapon itself.
But if you want to have an overall +2 shield bonus, or allow that extra feat to get them to +2, I don't think it would be terribly unbalanced, especially due to the difficulty getting more of that exotic weapon would typical pose - I don't imagine players would find many laying around in most dungeons.

As far as damage goes, I'll point that size doesn't matter, to a point at least. I've not seen the specific weapon mentioned in the OP, but I imagine it is, like was mentioned, much like a scimitar in use. I'd also think that the motions involved would reduce the force output behind each attack - lacking some of the torque you gain with a sword-swing - so the principle action would be the slashing as opposed to cutting.
If I were to make this weapon, I'd probably make it a 1d4 slashing, 19-20/x2 crit chance, with a +1 bonus from each sword that stacks with other instances of that exact bonus, but not all bonuses.
Which is just my suggestion, of course. It's your brew.

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-30, 05:49 AM
Oh, I see. Gotcha. That makes sense, I suppose.