PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Rules Question: Shield Bashing

jaybird
2012-07-29, 10:55 PM
Is it possible for a Medium creature to wield a Large Heavy Shield, and so treat it as a two-handed weapon?

Keneth
2012-07-30, 12:51 AM
I don't think it's possible to change a shield's handedness. Even if it were, what would be the benefit of using a large shield? You get a -2 penalty to attack in exchange for +1 to damage. You'd be better off two-handing a normal heavy shield. :smallconfused:

Volos
2012-07-30, 10:19 AM
A Large Heavy Shield would be a one handed weapon for a Large creature. A medium creature could wield it as a two handed weapon abeit with the normal penalities for wielding a Large weapon. If you are looking to two-hand a shield, just two-hand a spiked shield of bashing. It would effectively be three size categories larger in terms of dice rolled during the damage step. I say 'effectively' because while it is still a medium sized shield/weapon, it would have the dice damage as if it were three size categories larger. One up for being a Spiked Heavy Shield, and two for being a Bashing Shield.

jaybird
2012-07-30, 06:06 PM
Sweet, thanks for the responses guys. I'm mainly looking for extra returns on Power Attack, as I'm trying to build a Captain America style character who attacks with his shield and uses Cornugon Smash and Antagonize in combat to draw enemies to attack him.

A Large Spiked Heavy Shield of Bashing, by my calculations, would have a base damage of 3d6 and add 150% Str bonus on an attack when Power Attacking, right?

erikun
2012-07-30, 06:11 PM
Did Pathfinder do this differently? :smallconfused: Because in D&D3.5, a heavy shield is a one-handed weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponDescriptions), and you can wield one-handed weapons in two hands for 1.5x Strength modifier damage.

And yes, by D&D standards at least, an oversized Bashing Spiked Heavy Shield does 3d6 base damage, and can be wielded in two hands.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-30, 06:12 PM
Sweet, thanks for the responses guys. I'm mainly looking for extra returns on Power Attack, as I'm trying to build a Captain America style character who attacks with his shield and uses Cornugon Smash and Antagonize in combat to draw enemies to attack him.

A Large Spiked Heavy Shield of Bashing, by my calculations, would have a base damage of 3d6 and add 150% Str bonus on an attack when Power Attacking, right?

...You could just use a regular shield two-handed. Although I think that the damage increase on a large bashing shield is +5 over a medium bashing shield. Not sure if that's worth +2 attack, though.

Also, you get 200% returns. PF Power Attack is different.

Cieyrin
2012-07-30, 06:36 PM
Also, you get 200% returns. PF Power Attack is different.

Don't know what you're reading, it's normally 150% for THFing. You can get to 200% with Two-Handed Fighter.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-30, 07:11 PM
Don't know what you're reading, it's normally 150% for THFing. You can get to 200% with Two-Handed Fighter.

Okay, all our math is messed up.

PF Power Attack: Light weapons 100% returns (1:1), one-handed weapons 200% (2:1), two-handed 300% (3:1). Unless I'm misremembering or it was eratta'd.

Cieyrin
2012-07-30, 08:32 PM

Okay, all our math is messed up.

PF Power Attack: Light weapons 100% returns (1:1), one-handed weapons 200% (2:1), two-handed 300% (3:1). Unless I'm misremembering or it was eratta'd.

I'm not doing any math, I'm stating what it is. If you want to go by what the penalty to bonus conversion is, then yes, you are correct. Add upon that Two Handed Fighter's Greater Power Attack, that'd be 400% (4:1).