PDA

View Full Version : Bhaakon's Second Jade Regent IC

Bhaakon
2012-07-29, 11:49 PM
It's a poorly kept secret that the Rusty Dragon serves the finest breakfast in Sandpoint. It's true that Ameiko's establishment is best known as the raucous fest hall for local braggarts and ever-untrustworthy roving "adventurers," but the proprietor's collection of exciting stories and deft hand at he samisen are only eclipsed by her collection of exotic spices and deft hand at pastry. That, and the triple shot of brandy she managed to get into each serving of her special blintzes, a legendary hangover cure among locals.

You aren't there for the food, though. Well, not just the food.

"Are you going to order some more coffee, or just sit there reading it?" Huffs Ameiko in mock anger, "you know I'm not going to kick you out like that bent-copper busker, but I could use the table. You're almost as bad as Shalelu." She nods towards the elf, who takes up an entire table with her mug of tea and apricot tart (which you well you know Ameiko wouldn't let her pay for).

"It" is a copy of the woodcut print you founded nailed to every posting board in town when you got up this morning:

Let it be known that the honorable Sheriff Belor Hemlock, in response to the recent use of incendiary and explosive fireworks by the Licktoad goblins of Brinestump Marsh to waylay travelers, has re-instituted the heretofore suspended bounty of 10 gold pieces on fresh goblin ears.

A further bounty of 300 gold pieces has been placed on the head of the goblin known as "Gutwad," leader of the Licktoad tribe.

Additional rewards may be forthcoming for those who find and eliminate the source of the goblin's fireworks.

The paper includes a crude drawing of "Gutwad," notable for hist's scarred right eye, comically bulbous belly, and garish spiked headdress.

a_humble_lich
2012-07-30, 06:36 AM
"No more coffee but I could use some beer deary."
Blachfoot never did understand why humans drink so much coffee in the morning when there was still plenty of beer. Reading the poster had gotten him thinking, My finances have been kinda low recently and there is worse work than chasing after goblins.

slugboy_73
2012-07-30, 07:05 AM
At the mention of Shalelu's name, Ian shakes his head with a start! He was so caught up with the wooden plaque in his hand he did not even notice that the elf was here. As he headed over to her he noticed a bird-man looking a similar plaque of his own. He bid Shalelu a cheerful good morning then headed over to the bird-man.

Good morning to you, do you mind if I join you? My name is Ian, and I noticed that you were looking at one of the goblin hunting plaques. I am going to be headed out myself and wondered if you wanted to join up. After a goblin raid killed my mom and little sister I will agree with anything that involves wiping the little buggers out. The man is dressed in outdoorsy attire and carries a large axe with him.

Stormwind
2012-07-30, 10:12 AM
A woman sits quietly at one of the tables, a few crumbs being all that remains of an apricot tart on the plate before her. She sips on a cup of hot kahve as she listens to the ebb and flow of conversation in the inn.
She is rather plain and nondescript and only the crimson-red silk headscarf that adorns her brow and holds back her long black hair, gives contrast to the otherwise plain colors that she wears.

She glances again at the print on the table before her offering a bounty on goblin ears and she thinks to herself, mmmmm ... a little money would be good, and if anyone who ends up going is like that lad there ... they'll surely need patching up.

Once again she looks over to the 'Bird'. She has had an eye on it for some time for although she has encountered some Tengu's on her travels, she is far from familiar with the strange avians.

Sitting back and sipping her kahve, she discretely watches to see how the 'Bird' responds to the young lad.

Bhaakon
2012-07-30, 03:19 PM
"You sure you have the coin for it, Blackfoot? Awfully tough to go bounty hunting with your sword in hock. Again." Ameiko chides as she signals for one of the barmaids to bring over a pitcher. Hair of the dog was a popular breakfast at the Rusty Dragon.

a_humble_lich
2012-07-30, 09:13 PM
"Oh I'm good for it, I should be getting paid tomorrow," Blackfoot lied, knowig he wasn;t going to see any more gold until he got another job on a caravan. Blackfoot contemplated the poster again.

His thoughts were interrupted by a young man with an axe. The man babbled something about goblins and his family, but he did have a big axe and it seemed he was interested in going after the little vermin too. Annoying pests that they are, goblins can be dangerous in numbers. And he did have a big axe.

"So you're thinking about the goblin bounty too? It is good to have someone watch your back when around those vermin. My name's Blackfoot. I've been a guard for Sandru's caravan, but I seem to be lacking funds now. It would be good to round up a couple more people for a hunting party, you know anyone else interested?"

Mari01
2012-07-30, 11:22 PM
A goblin king? Interesting.... How do those things even GET kings? I thought they couldn't read? Agatha turns to address the bird-man's offer. If it's goblin's you're after, I'm certain I can be of service. I can even do some emergency healing, but it's a bit.... lets say unorthodox.

Stormwind
2012-07-31, 01:03 AM
The nondescript woman wearing the crimson-red silk headscarf finishes her kahve and rises from her chair. Walking over to the table where several patrons are discussing the 'goblin bounty', including the 'Bird' and the young lad, she quietly clears her throat and speaks, "I couldn't help but overhear that you are considering hunting goblins in the swamp. I should like to accompany you and can offer my services as a healer."

She looks around the group before continuing, "My name is Lena .." and then she pauses expectantly, waiting for the others to introduce themselves.

Mari01
2012-07-31, 01:34 AM
Agatha. Charmed. More people are always welcome. Agatha nods, addressing the newly introduced Lena.

slugboy_73
2012-07-31, 08:37 AM
"Nice to meet you Blackfoot," says Ian. You can almost see the hesitation as his eye's as he quickly glances down at the Kenku's feet to see if they are in fact black. Ian does not want insult his potential companion.

Upon hearing new voices speak up Ian turns to face the new speakers, "If I had known it was this easy to find other goblin haters I would have put up a notice a long time ago! Greetings ladies, in case you did not hear, I am Ian, a woodsman and fellow goblin hater.

Stormwind
2012-07-31, 11:02 AM
Upon hearing new voices speak up Ian turns to face the new speakers, "If I had known it was this easy to find other goblin haters I would have put up a notice a long time ago! Greetings ladies, in case you did not hear, I am Ian, a woodsman and fellow goblin hater. "Nice to meet you Agatha, .. Ian" says Lena, then she pauses slightly, looking directly at Ian, "I'm afraid that you're laboring under a misapprehension Ian, although I most assuredly do not like them, I do not hate goblins."

Mari01
2012-07-31, 01:52 PM
Couldn't really say that I hate them. More so a nuisance.

slugboy_73
2012-07-31, 02:47 PM
Ian bows, I do apologize ladies, I did not mean to be brash. As long as you have no problems with my axe going through them, we will get along fine."

a_humble_lich
2012-07-31, 02:51 PM
"So we are agreed? Shall we head over to the Brinestump Marsh or do any of you need to get anything before we go?

Where is the brinestone marsh? How far away are we talking?

Bhaakon
2012-07-31, 03:04 PM
Brinestump Marsh is an hour's walk out of town, more or less

Mari01
2012-07-31, 06:43 PM
Agatha walks to retrieve her scythe from the corner. All set.

Stormwind
2012-08-01, 04:23 AM
Lena nods once in response to Ian's comment before she replies to Blackfoot, "I too am all set"

As they gather just outside of the Rusty Dragon, Lena asks "Should we inform the sheriff of our intent before we head out?"

a_humble_lich
2012-08-01, 05:24 AM
"We'll be back soon, it would be better to see the sheriff bearing a string of goblin ears."

Stormwind
2012-08-01, 05:49 AM
Lena winces slightly at the image of a string of bloody, dripping goblin ears, as she replies "Fair enough. I won't argue with that."

Bhaakon
2012-08-01, 06:29 AM
unless you've got some other pressing business, lets get this show on the road

The march through town is quick and dusty, the late-summer heat and a steady off-shore breeze turning the bone-dry dirt streets into a breeding ground for dust devils. Mercifully, the wind slackens off as you cross the bridge at the edge of town and head south.

The road is empty, as goblin attacks have caused wise travelers and local fisherman alike to avoid the area, and you make good time. In less than an hour you reach the high moors at the northern edge of Brinestump swamp, giving you a good view across the marsh to the steep bluff at its southern boundary, but the high cypress, willows, and oaks growing in the delta below effectively hide anything in the Brinestump itself.

Up ahead, a weathered wooden post with a crudely carved fish marks the head of a well-used path that dives straight into the wall of vegetation which marks the Brinestump's boundary.

slugboy_73
2012-08-01, 06:45 AM
"Now the fun begins," says Ian with a smile on his face. He readies his axe and takes point for the group as they head into the swamp.

Do you want to make any perception rolls for us? Either way is fine. My perception is +5 in case you need it.

HP:13/13 AC:17 FF:15 Touch:12
Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +3

Stormwind
2012-08-01, 01:08 PM
As they cross over the bridge over the Turandarok river and head down Lost coast road towards Brinestump swamp, Lena looks over at the woman with the scythe walking alongside. Something about her name was familiar, it rang a bell, but for some reason she just couldn't remember where she had heard it before ... and then it clicked.

Turning to look at Agatha as they walked, Lena asks "Agatha, pardon me for asking, but would you possibly be the same Agatha that Koya has spoken of from time to time?"

As the intrepid group comes up to the path that leads into the Brinestump swamp, Lena happily lets Ian take point. She herself takes a position near the rear of the party.

Looking back the way they came Lena seems to concentrate and a few moments later a snowy white owl flies down and lands on Lena's outstretched arm. Turning to the others she introduces the owl "This is Snow, she's been with me for a long time now"
Lena seems to communicate with the bird and it flies into the nearby foliage and disappears.Lena asks the owl(Snow) to stay close, remain hidden, and keep a sharp eye out for trouble and goblins.
Snow's Perception: [roll0]
Snow's Stealth: [roll1]

Lena also keeps a sharp eye out for trouble or goblins herself
Perception: [roll2] (+3 if the light within the swamp's canopy counts as dim)

Mari01
2012-08-01, 02:44 PM
A wry smile creeps across Agatha's face. Why, yes. I wasn't aware that she'd been talking about me. Although I do seem to stand out in most places I go. She nods her head towards the scythe and the symbols adorning it. I've heard of you as well. Two sides of the same coin it seems.

Stormwind
2012-08-01, 03:36 PM
Lena smiles, "We were discussing different styles and methods of healing, and your name came up. It's a pleasure to finally met you."

Bhaakon
2012-08-01, 04:37 PM
Silent as a ghost, Snow alights from Lena's arm and vanishes into the treetops.

The breeze dies away completely as you head into the dense vegetation, leaving the lank, steamy air of the swamp to wring the sweat from every pour, a smell as good as a dinner bell for the multitudes of buzzing insects looking to sop up the salty runoff or tap a vein for a blood meal.

Fifteen minutes of trudging along the narrow trail finds you standing before a rather suspect-looking bridge. Its uneven deck of moss-covered planks spans a stagnant waterway, its only support a pair of slim logs that sag nearly to the water's surface.

@Lena, Blackfoot
A familiar hoot draws your attention to the far bank, a few yards left of the rickety bridge. You turn in time to see the underbrush rustle as something at least as large as a man beats a hasty retreat into the sawgrass.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-01, 06:53 PM
As Snow flies off, Blackfoot looks at her and and thinks how glad he is that he doesn't have to try to keep white feathers clean. Especially in this swamp. Luckily, the insects do make a tasty snack.

As the bridge comes into sight, Blackfoot is considering whether the bridge will supoort his weight when he sees something, "What was that?" he asks the others.

How far across is this waterway? Could I try to jump across?

Bhaakon
2012-08-01, 07:17 PM
It's 15 feet across, a DC 15 acrobatics check to jump.

Stormwind
2012-08-02, 01:29 AM
Lena seems somewhat startled as she replies to Blackfoot, "I saw something moving ... there", and she indicates something moving in the sawgrass on the other side of the river.If it is possible to identify the creature from her brief glimpse of it, then:

Knowledge(arcana, nature, or planes): [roll0]
Knowledge(dungeoneering, local, or religion): [roll1] (untrained)

Bhaakon
2012-08-02, 02:34 AM
@Lena
You didn't get a good look at it, just a vaguely humanoid blur as it disappeared into the tall grass. You're pretty sure that it was bigger than a goblin.

Stormwind
2012-08-02, 02:44 AM
Lena continues to watch the area on the other side of the river as she murmurs, partly to herself, and partly to the others, "Vaguely humanoid ... too big to be a goblin ..."I presume it's gone already ... or can Lena still see traces of its presence(grass moving etc)?

Bhaakon
2012-08-02, 04:08 AM
Whatever it was is gone

a_humble_lich
2012-08-02, 04:33 AM
Blackfoot will cautiously cross the bridge and see if he can find any tracks left behind by the creature.

Perception: [roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-08-02, 05:06 AM
The rotten old logs supporting the bridge bend down to kiss the water under his weight, but Blackfoot crosses successfully. Once on the opposite bank, he pushes his way through the thick, sharp blades of saw grass to reach the spot where he spotted the figure.

He finds a three-toed footprint in the mud, slowly filling with water. The barest shadow of a game trail cuts through the grass near the strange track, leading away from both the water and the main path.

You'll need a survival check if you want to follow the trail into the bush.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-02, 05:21 AM
I can roll Survival, but it is untrained, so I don't know how good I can do

Survival: [roll0]

Stormwind
2012-08-02, 05:34 AM
Once Blackfoot makes it successfully across the uneven, rotting bridge, Lena glances around and then cautiously crosses the bridge herself.

Assuming she makes it across ...
On the other side, Lena waits for the others to cross also, continuously keeping an eye out for trouble.Lena keeps a sharp eye out:
Perception: [roll0] (+3 if dim light under the swampy canopy)

As does her owl(Snow), whilst remaining hidden in the canopy:
Perception: [roll1]
Stealth: [roll2]

Bhaakon
2012-08-02, 06:08 AM
The creaking timbers loudly threaten to drop Lena into the murky water, but their protests come to naught as the woman finds her footing on the opposite bank. She scans the undergrowth as best she can, but neither Lena nor her familiar see anything unusual.

Off the path, deep in the eye-high grass, Blackfoot feels confident that he can follow the faint game trail through the swamp.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-02, 06:22 AM
"Hey guys, look at these tracks. Whatever it was it looks like it went this way.

And if any of you guys actually have any skill in tracking that would be helpful.

slugboy_73
2012-08-02, 06:43 AM
Ian gingerly crosses the bridge and attempts to inspect the tracks.

Tracking [roll0] (+2 if it's a goblinoid)

Not sure if there are any modifiers for terrain and whatnot but I really doubt that succeeds :smallredface:

Ummm, you seem to have already gotten the trail Blackfoot. Maybe you can show us the way. I can't make heads or tails of this one.

Mari01
2012-08-02, 11:54 AM
With everyone else already across, Agatha decides to take her chance of the rickety bridge. I'm no good at following tracks. Lead the way.

Bhaakon
2012-08-02, 04:42 PM
The bridge seems capable of holding you as long as you cross one at a time, though only barely, and you gather to follow Blackfoot.

If the main trail was a bit overgrown, the game trail is down right claustrophobic. Swords are put to use chopping back the elephant grass, thorny brambles, and low-hanging branches that constantly grab at clothing, scratch flesh, and jab between armor plates.

After ten miserable minutes of fighting your way forward, the wisp of a game trial snakes up to higher ground, where the vegetation thins to reveal a monstrous den. A ten-foot-high mound of branches, logs, and reeds lies amid the trees here, nestled in a narrow, muddy clearing. Flies buzz and swarm around the foul-smelling mound of rotting vegetation, occasionally flitting through the narrow entrance to disappear into the shadows within.

Stormwind
2012-08-02, 05:05 PM
Lena eyes the leafy mound with some amount of trepidation and she readies herself and waits for one of the more combat orientated members of their little party to take a look inside.Ready action to cast Daze if something even vaguely humanoid emerges from the mound.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-02, 05:18 PM
Seeing Lena's trepidation, Blackfoot figures, Well, I guess this is my job, that's why I'm getting paid the big gold. Of course, I'm not getting paid, but she does seem nice. After taking a swig from whatever is in his jug at his belt, he tentatively goes into the hole, sword in hand.

Bhaakon
2012-08-02, 05:24 PM
Taking a swig for courage, Blackfoot stoops down to squeeze through the low entrance. The palpable stench of rotting meat and vegetation assaults the Tengu as he stands inside, but the only things in the den are a pile of bloody, shredded clothing formed into a nest, and nearly a dozen mud spheres arranged in a pyramid.

slugboy_73
2012-08-02, 07:10 PM
Ian takes a look around to see if anything looks familiar

Knowledge: Nature [roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-08-02, 08:52 PM
Nothing about the disgusting hovel strikes Ian as natural. Something bigger and smarter than a normal animal built it, yet the living conditions within are sub-human.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-03, 04:44 AM
Blackfoot examines the nest with his sword. Primarily looking for anything shiny. "What do you think these mud balls are?"

Stormwind
2012-08-03, 05:32 AM
Moving a little closer to the mound, Lena smells the stench that emits from within and simply decides to remain outside.
Responding to Blackfoot from outside, "I shudder to think, although they surely can't be worse than that smell. How you can stand to be in there I just can't imagine."

Bhaakon
2012-08-03, 06:06 AM
Blackfoot's stout blade has trouble prizing apart the nest, the various bits of cloth having been cemented together with mud, blood, and other excretions best not thought of. After a few moments, he's sure that nothing of value lies within.

slugboy_73
2012-08-03, 06:35 AM
Ian searches around to see if there are any recent tracks or activity that we have not already seen.

Survival/Tracking [roll0]

Stormwind
2012-08-03, 06:55 AM
As she watches the young lad and the 'Bird' industriously searching, Lena makes a couple of arcane gestures and looks around.
Cast Detect magic
Look over the mound and whatever she can see within (without entering it) using detect magic. If she spots any magical aura's, then she will, of course, study them.

Then look around the underbrush still using the Detect magic ... just in case.
Perception: [roll0] (+3 for dim light) ... if needed :smallconfused:

Bhaakon
2012-08-03, 05:42 PM
Lena's search comes up empty, the mound and its surroundings are devoid of magical auras.

Ian is more fortunate. He spots many of the three-toed tracks around the hovel, but one trail in particular, heading back towards the main path, seems very fresh.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-04, 06:37 AM
Seeing that there is nothing of interest in the nest, Blackfoot moves over to look at the mud balls. He carefully removes the top one and examines it on the outside. Then (assuming it just looks like a ball of mud), he will carefully cut it open to see what is inside.

Stormwind
2012-08-04, 11:22 AM
Lena continues to keep watch whilst the 'boys' explore.

slugboy_73
2012-08-04, 12:06 PM
Ian joins back up with the group, "It looks like it may have doubled-back on us and gone back towards the river. These tracks are very fresh. Did you all see anything else interesting?"

Bhaakon
2012-08-04, 05:04 PM
The brittle outer layer of mud flakes off as Blackfoot picks up the sphere, revealing a pearlescent glint from within. The Bird wastes no time in scraping away at the ball, trying to find out just what lies within. Large chunks of dirt fall away, revealing the rictus grin of a skull, rotting flesh and patches of hair still clinging to bone.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-04, 09:07 PM
With a startled cry, Blackfoot drops the skull and leaps out of the lair. Wiping his hands on his shirt he tells the others, "OK, we should go now. See if we can hunt this beast down."

Mari01
2012-08-04, 10:12 PM
Based on what you're covered in I doubt it, but did you find anything in there?

a_humble_lich
2012-08-05, 04:25 PM
Sheepishly, as if he really doesn't want to talk about it, Blackfoot responds, "The balls of mud were actually human heads."

Mari01
2012-08-06, 12:38 AM
Human heads you say? Hm. That must've been an awfully dreadful way to die. Do you mind if I take them off your hands? They might be worth studying.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-06, 01:47 AM
"I left all that back in the cave. If you want to deal with it be my guest; I'd rather not have any more to do with it. But Ian, you found more tracks? Shall we follow them?"

Stormwind
2012-08-06, 02:54 AM
Ian joins back up with the group, "It looks like it may have doubled-back on us and gone back towards the river. These tracks are very fresh. Did you all see anything else interesting?"
After a few moments, Lena replies, "Nothing. All I can say, with a fair amount of certainty, that there is nothing magical in there .." and she indicates the mound with a tilt of her head, ".. or anywhere close here for that matter"

slugboy_73
2012-08-06, 06:51 AM
Ian gets a disgusted look on his face, "This thing collects skulls? I don't even do that to goblins! Whatever this thing is we definitely need to put it down. Let's see if we can follow those tracks."

With that Ian move back towards the newest set of tracks he found and attempts to follow them.

Bhaakon
2012-08-06, 05:29 PM
The tracks cut across the swamp, taking a more direct path to the main path than the trail you'd followed earlier. Once you're clear of the dense brush of the bush, the it's easy to see that the tracks lead right back to the flimsy bridge you crossed earlier.

Stormwind
2012-08-07, 04:18 AM
As they arrive back at the dilapidated bridge, Lena's eyes narrow and she looks around cautiously. Then she calls her owl back to her outstretched arm and once again concentrates as if speaking to the bird. The white owl takes flight again, this time circling the area before disappearing into the foliage.Lena looks around:

Perception: [roll0] (+3 if dim light)

Snow circles above, trying to spot any moving creature of about the right size, and then disappears into the foliage.
Owl's Perception: [roll1]
Owl's Stealth: [roll2]

Bhaakon
2012-08-07, 04:51 AM
Everyone roll perception.

slugboy_73
2012-08-07, 06:43 AM
That was next on the list :smallsmile:

Perception [roll0]

a_humble_lich
2012-08-07, 06:54 AM
Go go super bird eyes!

[roll0]

Mari01
2012-08-07, 01:00 PM
Hoping for a good number! [roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-08-07, 04:00 PM
Despite the think brush and dim light, Lena and Blackfoot are able to pick out the creature's hiding place as it waits to ambush the last of you to cross the bridge. The thing's grotesque maw splits wide open from jaw to gullet as it shrieks out a warbling cry and leaps from its hiding spot on backwards-bent knees.

The creature is on Blackfoot before he can move, it's needle-like teeth digging into flesh as the Bird reels in pain and something more sinister.

@Blackfoot
3 damage. DC 12 Will save or sickened for [roll0] minutes

DC 12 Dungeoneering

This is a sinspawn, a being created by binding an impure soul with even fouler magics. This particular variety is a wrathspawn, and can overwhelm those it bites with wrathful urges.

Map, etc.
The initiative roll is in the OOC thread. Don't worry about posting in order, just keep track of whether you're before or after the opponent.

Due up: Lena and Blackfoot surprise round action (move or standard action, not both) and Ian's 1st full round action. Agatha has to wait until after the creature's next turn.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Flimsybridge1.jpg

Stormwind
2012-08-07, 04:18 PM
As the creature leaps out from hiding, Lena takes a step back and she gestures as her lips open in a soundless scream.The step back is just fluff :smallbiggrin:

Cast Ear piercing scream (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/ear-piercing-scream) (Fortitude vs DC16 or dazed (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Dazed) and [roll0] sonic damage)

a_humble_lich
2012-08-07, 04:31 PM
"Aaack! What is that thing" yells Blackfoot as he jumps back and draws his sword.

I knew I should have gotten quickdraw. :smallbiggrin: And similarly, the "jumps back" is just fluff.

Will Save: [roll0]

Edit: So is that good enough to make the save? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

slugboy_73
2012-08-07, 08:55 PM
Ian will move to D10 then C9 then swings at the creature. The surprise appearance of the creature unnerved him though and his swing goes wide.

To hit [roll0]
DMG [roll1][

Really doubt a 10 hits :smalltongue:

Bhaakon
2012-08-07, 09:39 PM
The shock of the bizzare opponents sudden appearance wears off, and the battle settles into a back and forth of filthy talons, jabbing blades, painful shrieking and the slavering jaws.

The beast shakes off Lena's spell, mostly, and manages to land a claw swipe on Ian as the ranger overextends himself.

@Ian
2 damage

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/flimsybridge2.jpg

Everyone is up, full round

a_humble_lich
2012-08-07, 10:00 PM
Not wanting to get hit by the thing a second time, Blackfoot grabs his sword with both hands, takes a defensive stance, and attempts to separate its head from its neck.

Swift Action: Begin Crane Style

Defensive Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Beak Attack: [roll2]
Beak Damage: [roll3]

AC is now 20.

Slugboy, was that a mistake or do you really do 1d20+9 damage?

slugboy_73
2012-08-08, 06:38 AM
Ian will attempt to make a 5-foot move into B8 to get flank with Blackfoot. Either way he will swing again at the creature.

Not sure if that spot has difficult terrain or not. If it does then I can't do the 5-foot move. Either way here is the swing.

Forgot to say it last time but I am power attacking
To hit: [roll0] (subtract 2 if no flank)
To confirm if threat: [roll1] (subtract 2 if no flank)

Damage: [roll2]
Extra dmg if crit: [roll3]

Yes, with power attack I am +9 on dmg

HP - 11/13 AC 17, Touch 12, FF 15
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3

Stormwind
2012-08-09, 12:29 AM
Stepping around, Lena places a hand on Blackfoot and healing energies well up within the Tengu.Round 1

5ft step to (E7)
Use Healing hex on Blackfoot ([roll0] hp healed)

Bhaakon
2012-08-10, 02:16 AM
Agatha remains frozen in surprise (or is it some sort of bizarre fascination with such an unusual creature?) as the fight continues.

Blackfoot swings ineffectually from his guarded stance, while Lena steps behind the Bird to protect herself while healing his wound.

Ian move to surround the thing, exploiting the temporary advantage to drive his sword into a spindle, backward-bending leg. Though dragging a grievously injured limb, it manages to escape the flank with a savage flurry of of attacks, and bites a chunk from Ian's arm in the bargain.

@Ian
5 damage. DC 12 Will save or sickened for [roll0] rounds

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Flimsybridge3.jpg

Everyone is up

Stormwind
2012-08-10, 02:59 AM
Moving around Blackfoot, Lena places a hand on Ian and healing energies well up within the young lad.Round 2

Move to (C,9) (staying out of the creatures threat range of course)
Use Healing hex on Ian ([roll0] hp healed)

a_humble_lich
2012-08-10, 05:59 AM
Not wanting this thing to get away from him, Blackfoot steps up to C7 and swings again.

Let's see if the dice will be more kind this time.

Defensive Attack: [roll0]
Beak Attack: [roll2]
Beak Damage: [roll3]

AC is now 20.

slugboy_73
2012-08-10, 06:36 AM
Will Save

[roll0]

slugboy_73
2012-08-10, 06:41 AM
Ian grimaces from the damage caused by the monster, but is able to resist the effects of it's bite. Seeing Blackfoot move to one side of the creature Ian will again attempt to move to it's flank. He grits his teeth and makes another powerful swing at it. "Die Hellspawn!!"
His swing goes wide though and misses the monster by good margin. Caught up in the fight he does not see the Lena moving up behind him. The healing touch give him renewed strength and resolve to take this thing down!

5' step into A7 if possible. If not he will stay in B8.

Power attack on the monster
To hit: [roll0] (-2 if no flank)
To confirm if threat: [roll1] (-2 if no flank)

Extra damage if crit: [roll3]

Whoops! Wrong dmg die roll...not matter though when you roll a 3 to hit! :smallyuk:

HP - 9/13 AC 17, Touch 12, FF 15
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3

Bhaakon
2012-08-10, 07:03 AM
Ian might not have hit, but the flank means that Blackfoot did.

Revitalized by Lena's magic, Ian swings around to block the creature from escaping into the undergrowth. He draw his axe back for a powerful overhead chop, but a low-hanging branch snags its just below the head and tears it from his hand. The thing turns to take advantage of the weaponless ranger, leaving itself open to Blackfoot's razor-sharp katana.

The twisted humanoid collapses on suddenly nerveless legs, gasping its final breaths as the Bird jerks blade free from between the thing's vertebra.

XP
150 XP each, no loot

Stormwind
2012-08-10, 08:31 AM
Lena steps up to Ian and again lays a hand on him and heals.
Cast Cure light wounds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/cure-light-wounds): [roll0]

Status

Healing Hex: used on Ian, Blackfoot

slugboy_73
2012-08-10, 09:26 AM
Ian nods his head in thanks to Lena. Thank you maam."

He then retrieves his axe, "Is everyone else okay? What was that thing?

a_humble_lich
2012-08-10, 07:50 PM
"I'm alright, how about yourself? It looks like you took the brunt of the things attack. I've never seen anything like it. Do you think it was a friend of the goblins? Bad new is I don't think there is a bounty for horrible creature that tries to bit my face."

Mari01
2012-08-10, 08:09 PM
It's ugly and attacked us. Whatever it was, this thing clearly had a death wish.

Stormwind
2012-08-11, 05:32 AM
Lena replies to the query with a thoughtful expression, "I'm not sure what that creature was, except that it's not humanoid, even if it vaguely resembles one. I suspect that it was planning to ambush us" and she nods towards the rickety bridge, "Perhaps it might have waited until only one of us remained on this side ... had we not spotted it."

"I doubt that it was 'in league' with the goblins or any such thing, yet I cannot help but feel that by ridding the world of this creature, we have made these swamps at least a little safer."

slugboy_73
2012-08-11, 08:44 AM
"You are right about that Lena," says Ian looking down at the corpse of the creature. He then hefts his axe and looks at the rest of the party with a smile, "Shall we continue after those goblins then?"

Bhaakon
2012-08-11, 05:08 PM
Following Ian's suggestion, you follow the trail deeper.

You cross a second bridge, much sturdier than the first, and then then come to a third that even shows signs of recent repair. After a few more minutes of walking, the vegetation thins and the muddy trail leads up to a swampy lagoon. The open ocean is visible just beyond these shallow waters, while an old two-story building, its walls soggy with moss and its roof sagging with age, sits on the lagoon’s eastern shore.

Stormwind
2012-08-12, 02:19 AM
Lena glances around, with an appreciative eye for the view. "I wouldn't choose to live in a swamp myself, but I must admit that someone has chosen a rather nice picturesque location for themselves here."

She pauses a moment and then continues, "Somehow I doubt that there be goblins here ... I wouldn't credit the creatures with either the craftsmanship, nor the appreciation for this sort of abode."

"That said, I wonder whether the current inhabitant of this abode might be able to give us directions to wherever the goblins are located in this swamp?"

a_humble_lich
2012-08-12, 06:29 AM
"I don't know, I think if I were a goblin, a abandoned house like this would be exactly the kind of place I would stay in. In any case, we should see who the current inhabitants are."

Stormwind
2012-08-12, 06:53 AM
"Hmmm, I admit the house is a little dilapidated and run down, but the signs of repair on the last bridge that we passed over lead me to believe that this place isn't abandoned", Lena responds

slugboy_73
2012-08-12, 06:53 AM
"Sounds good, let's head over and see who is home. I can go knock. Black, you want to come up with me and ladies stay back a bit in case things go bad?" Ian's face blushes a bit. He quickly turns to the ladies, "Not saying you all can't handle yourselves!! Just that you seem to be more stay in the back and do things than us "in your face" guys".

Mari01
2012-08-12, 11:24 AM
As of now, I'm more likely to kill at least one of us with everyone around me. Agatha stops to think. Would anyone mind if I took the lead right now? If things get sour, I think I'll be fine. Is that alright? Just do me one favor. Stay out of the mist.

Stormwind
2012-08-12, 01:03 PM
Lena smiles at Ian, but it's hard to tell exactly what's going on in her head. She then nods and gestures for Agatha to take the lead, "Why not, indeed"

Mari01
2012-08-12, 03:17 PM
Agatha strides forward cautiously. Hello!?, she yells while moving forward. Bounding up the stairs with scythe and holy symbol in hand, she knocks on the door with the religious item.Is anyone home?

Bhaakon
2012-08-12, 07:01 PM
The door opens a crack, revealing nothing of the dark interior, and a small head peaks out to appraise Agatha and the group. "Er, he-hello. What, um, brings you out here? You don't look like, uh, fishermen."

a_humble_lich
2012-08-13, 06:36 AM
Blackfoot whispers to Lena, "That doesn't look like a goblin. I guess you are right."

Stormwind
2012-08-13, 08:36 AM
Lena simply stays back. She nods slowly at Blackfoot's comment, but refrains from reply at this stage, keeping her attention on the small figure at the door.
Perception (to check what the small form is: Gnome/Halfling/Goblin/other?): [roll0] (+3 if dimly lit)
Sense motive (to assess the small figure - after all what sort of person chooses to live in a swamp): [roll1]

Mari01
2012-08-13, 11:01 AM
My friends and I were hoping you could help us. Is that acceptable?

Bhaakon
2012-08-13, 06:29 PM
Just realized that I didn't say it was a halfling. I wasn't trying to be tricky or anything.

The halfling opens the door wide enough to squeeze out and joins you outside. From what little you see of the interior, the place is a mess, with tools, netting, and various containers stacked randomly about on the furniture and floor. The halfling himself is a bit grubby and unkempt, put rather pale beneath the dirt. He extends an arm against the wall to balance himself, revealing a pair of puncture wounds near his wrist.

"Help? Unless you someone to fit through a small space or, um, a bit of flotsam, I, er, don't see what you would need from a recluse like myself."

@Lena
Something is clearly off with the halfling. You're not really sure what, but he's definitely hiding something.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-14, 05:36 AM
"Well, we are here looking for a group of goblins that have been molesting travelers. I must admit surprise to see you out here by yourself. Do you not have problems with the goblins?"

Bhaakon
2012-08-14, 07:09 AM
"Oh, no. They leave me alone. Maybe they just don't like humans? They're always raiding caravans and whatnot. They're not hard to find. There's another trail into the swamp which lead right to their village. Hard to miss."

Mari01
2012-08-14, 09:30 AM
Wait.....why? Agatha has a very puzzled look on her face. They're goblins. They don't just leave people alone.

Bhaakon
2012-08-14, 09:48 AM
The halfling shrugs. "I guess I don't have anything they'd want. Now, if there's nothing else, I'm quite tired..."

Stormwind
2012-08-14, 09:49 AM
Lena studies the halfling carefully as he emerges and speaks, she seems rather thoughtful. A few moments later she asks the halfling, "I'm Lena, ... might I inquire as to your name?"
Perception(to try as ascertain what exactly is 'off' with this halfling): (1d20+8)[18] (take 10)

Bhaakon
2012-08-14, 06:53 PM
"Yes. Perfectly, um, reasonable. Walthus is my name."

@Lena
Aside from being injured and extremely anxious, you feel certain that the halfling has lied about his name.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-15, 05:11 AM
Noticing his wrist, Blackfoot asks, "It looks like you hurt your wrist there. Are you alright? You should be careful in an environment like this that it doesn't get infected. Some of my companions here know some healing magics. I don't know much about such things but perhaps to be safe."

Bhaakon
2012-08-15, 06:19 AM
"R-really?" The halfling lights up with a broad grin. "A viper bit me while I was gathering wood, and I've been feeling a bit faint. Dangerous, filthy things, snakes. "

Stormwind
2012-08-15, 08:27 AM
Lena looks at the halfling, but remains where she is, "I would be happy to tend to your wounds, ... but perhaps you would be so polite as to give us your real name" with a stern glance at 'Walthus'.

slugboy_73
2012-08-16, 08:50 AM
Ian tries to remain non-chalant, about this, but he can see that the situation has gotten a little more tense. He does not brandish his axe, but he does prepare himself mentally in case things go south.

Bhaakon
2012-08-16, 08:06 PM
"Heh, well now, you're the first to see through that. It's true that my name isn't Walthus, but Volorog..."

As the 'halfing' pronounces his real name his features sink into his head, until his face is nothing but a flat lump of flesh. Limbs lengthen and wicked claws burst from fingers even as it whips an arm at Agatha. The priestess stumbles back reflexively, narrowly avoiding the blow.

Map, etc.
I believe the plan was for Agatha to approach the house, and for everyone else to keep out of channel energy range.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/volorog1.jpg

Agatha and Blackfoot are up, full round actions

Mari01
2012-08-16, 09:40 PM
You miserable little....and to think I was going to let them help you. Well, far be it from me to keep you from the Boneyard Gates!

5 foot step to I4 so as not to provoke.
Standard: Cast Cause Fear - Frightened for [roll0] rounds (Will Save 15 shaken for 1)

a_humble_lich
2012-08-17, 12:50 AM
Ack! Not a halfling, not a halfling!"" Black foot screams as he runs towards the house, drawing his sword.

I thought you were going to channel?

I shall move up to K6 it and draw my sword.

Mari01
2012-08-17, 01:01 AM
Ack! Not a halfling, not a halfling!"" Black foot screams as he runs towards the house, drawing his sword.

I thought you were going to channel?

I shall move up to K6 it and draw my sword.

I thought about it. But if this spell works I wont need to. If he's frightened, there's only one good way to run: Right towards you guys.

Bhaakon
2012-08-17, 01:29 AM
The faceless humanoid seems to stagger as Agatha completes her spell, and it balks at facing the priestess, instead springing at the approaching Black foot and smashing the Bird's beak with a straight-armed slam.

@black foot
5 damage

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Volorog2.jpg

everyone is up

a_humble_lich
2012-08-17, 05:53 AM
Beak still spinging from the whallop, Blackfoot steps to the side and attempts to remove the thing's head form its body.

Step down to K7

Swift Action: Start Crane Style
Standard Action: Attack defensively: [roll]1d20[\roll]
Damage: [roll]1d8+3[\roll]
Beak: [roll]1d20-5[\roll]
Damage: [roll]1d3+1[\roll]

Move Action: Twiddle thumbs

a_humble_lich
2012-08-17, 05:55 AM
Let's see if I can roll again with the slashes going in the right direction!

Attack defensively: [roll0]
Beak: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

a_humble_lich
2012-08-17, 05:56 AM
Hey that is a natural 20 with my beak, let's confirm.

Beak: [roll]1d20-5[\roll]
Damage: [roll]1d3+1[\roll]

a_humble_lich
2012-08-17, 05:57 AM
:smallredface::smallredface::smallredface::smallre dface::smallredface::smallredface:
Grrrrrr. Is quad posting really that bad, or am I just an idiot.

Beak: [roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-08-17, 06:47 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151
must type 10 characters

slugboy_73
2012-08-17, 07:03 AM
Seeing the "halfing" morph into some kind of creature and then attack Blackfoot, Ian moves around to one side of the creature, bringing his axe to bear as he moves.

Double more to J7

Path is O7(5), N8(15), M8(20), L8(25), K8(30), J7(35).

HP - 12/13 AC 17, Touch 12, FF 15
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3

Stormwind
2012-08-17, 10:15 AM
Lena walks quietly up behind Blackfoot, continuing to speak mildly, even as she places a hand on her companion's shoulder, "That was a little uncalled for wasn't it now? So did you kill the real 'Walthus' or is he simply a persona you us against unsuspecting travelers?"
Sense motive(if the creature replies): [roll0]
(move action) Move to (L,6)
(Standard action) Cast cure light wounds on Blackfoot ([roll1] hit points healed)

Bhaakon
2012-08-21, 12:51 AM
Agatha takes a moment to recover, wasting he opportunity to attack before belatedly stepping behind the creature to help surround it.

Fortunately her presence draws the thing's attention just long enough for Blackfoot to land both a powerful sword slash and a follow-up jab from his bloodied beak. The faceless humanoid reels at the blows, a pained shriek its only answer to Lena's question.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Volorog3.jpg

a_humble_lich
2012-08-21, 05:25 AM
"Ptthph, you taste horrible." spits Blackfoot as he tries to dodge the horrible not-halfling.

Lets see if I can get the die roller right this time. (I assume it is out turn now.)
Attack defensively: [roll0]
Beak: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Again AC is 20 now. Also I added the +2 for flanking.

slugboy_73
2012-08-21, 06:53 AM
Ian gives a mighty swing at the creature but his swing goes wide and does not connect.

Power attack
To Hit [roll0]
To confirm if threat [roll1]

Extra Dmg if Crit: [roll3]

Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3

edit - Sorry, am I out of turn? I saw Bhaakon's post and thought the monster had acted. If it was not my turn I apologize and this will be my next action. Please don't give me the facepalm!!! :smalleek:

Bhaakon
2012-08-22, 01:02 AM
If I post a map, it acted. It's the PCs' turn now.

Mari01
2012-08-22, 11:26 AM
Move action: Draw Scythe
Standard Action [roll0]

Stormwind
2012-08-22, 02:05 PM
Lena moves carefully behind Ian and Blackfoot and considers the creature. Finally she comes to a decision and casts a cantrip.
(move action) Move to (K,8)
(standard action) Cast Daze (Will vs DC15 or dazed - if humanoid)

Bhaakon
2012-08-23, 12:12 AM
@Lena
It's an aberration, unfortunately. Didn't matter, since it made the save anyway (I felt bad for describing it as a humanoid earlier).

Lena attempts to restrict the thing's movements with a spell, but it just shakes it off. The creature dodges, dips, dives ducks, and dodges between axe, scythe, and katana, easily avoiding all the swings before delivering a bone-crunching hay-maker to Blackfoot's temple that drops the bird to the muddy earth.

@Blackfoot
4 damage. That should put you at -1, so starting making stabilization checks (The DC is 11, base 10 + the number of negative hit points).

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Volorog4.jpg

everyone is up

Stormwind
2012-08-23, 06:43 AM
I think Blackfoot should still be up - I posted earlier in the OOC that you hadn't included his healing from Lena last round ... unless he took more than 7 points of damage just now?

Summary
Counting from post #112 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13740299&postcount=112) (when Volorog revealed himself)
Post #116 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13741899&postcount=116): Blackfoot takes damage
Post #123 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13743224&postcount=123): Lena heals Blackfoot for 4 points of damage
Post #130 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13773992&postcount=130): Blackfoot takes more damage

So ..is this correct, or have I missed something here?

a_humble_lich
2012-08-23, 06:47 AM
Bleed....

Ouch!!! Will I die? Let's see.

Stabilization: DC 10 [roll0] (Don't suck...)

Why does the dice roller hate me so!

slugboy_73
2012-08-23, 07:46 AM
Seeing his friend grievously wounded, Ian set's his feet and gives another swing at the creature.

Normal attack on the creature
To hit: [roll0]
To confirm if threat: [roll1]

Extra Damage if Crit: [roll3]

Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3

Bhaakon
2012-08-24, 06:02 AM
@Lena, Blackfoot
No, you're right. D'oh. Fortunately, Ian just dropped the creature, so it's easy to correct. Just set Blackfoot's HP back to 3

Ian swings his heavy axe with deceptive ease, driving the sharpened hunk of steel at its business end through the strange creature's rib cage with a series of satisfying snaps. It falls immediately, its own deadweight wrenching the body free of the Ranger's weapon.

XP
No loot for this one either. Just 150 XP each

a_humble_lich
2012-08-24, 06:32 AM
Hey I didn't even notice that my bleed post was ninja'd by someone arguing for my life. I figured I just made a mistake and forgot to mark down some damage. Yippee, I'm alive again!

slugboy_73
2012-08-24, 09:56 AM
Ian wipes his axe bald clean.

"For a goblin hunt we sure haven't seen any yet," he says with a smirk, then his humor quickly disappears. "Wonder if there are anymore of those creatures inside.?"

He takes up a position guarding the door in case anything else attempts to come out.

Stormwind
2012-08-25, 02:26 AM
As the creature falls to the blade of Ian's axe, Lena sighs and replies to Ian's comment, "I know not if there be more of these creatures around, but I expect that all we will find inside is the corpse of a halfling called Walthus. We should check at least."

a_humble_lich
2012-08-25, 05:39 AM
I agree, and if we do find the halfling, we should at least attempt to give him a proper burial.

Bhaakon
2012-08-26, 10:22 PM
You enter the house warily, fully expecting to find a dead halfling on the floor, instead you find a terrible mess. The creature, whatever it was, had set about searching the place thoroughly. Cabinets, chests, and barrels are open and emptied, their contents litter the furniture and floor. The small pantry off the kitchen is a surprisingly though, though; Walthus's imposter wasn't after food (not pickled vegetables and salted meats, anyway).

The upstairs is blanketed in feathers, formerly the stuffing of a halfling-sized mattress. There's no sign of the home's rightful owner in the mess, and you're about to call off the search when Blackfoot notices an smudged streak of blood that ends abruptly at the wall. Once alerted to its presence, the hidden door isn't all that hard to spot, but the means to open it remain elusive.

You can roll to disable device, or find another way to open it up if you can.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-27, 05:27 AM
"Hey, look at this. Anybody have any ideas how to open this thing?"

slugboy_73
2012-08-27, 01:47 PM
Ian hefts his axe. If we can't find anything there's always this.

Mari01
2012-08-27, 02:19 PM
Just break it. Whoever lived here is clearly dead. And if it belongs to that thing outside, I don't want it to have nice things anyway.

Bhaakon
2012-08-27, 08:46 PM
The thin veneer proves no match for Ian's axe, and a couple swings open a hole big enough for the ranger to peer through.

http://www.captainsblog.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/jack20heres_johnny.jpg

Inside huddles a halfling, identical to the one Volorog posed as before your fight. The poor man is covered in wounds, and his hand, shaky with blood loss, levels a small crossbow at Ian's face. "Who... who are you? Another fake come to trick me?

Mari01
2012-08-27, 09:14 PM
Seems you're still clinging to your mortal coil. We're here to help you.

slugboy_73
2012-08-27, 09:28 PM
I was thinking that same thing!!:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Bhaakon
2012-08-27, 10:57 PM
"Two-two of you. That's not right, there was only one of those things. Did you kill it? Show me, please, I must see its body." He struggles to his feet and takes a step forward, but swoons as he unlocks the hidden door and collapses at your feet. "Maybe a little nap first," he mumbles in his semi-consciousness.

Mari01
2012-08-27, 11:38 PM
Perhaps here would be a good place to rest. If that thing was truly keeping the goblins away, if we hide it's body, we might be able to buy some free time for this one's wounds to heal.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-28, 04:32 AM
"I agree. Even if we haven't had a rough day ourselves, I don't think it would be a good idea to leave him hear alone. And maybe he can tell us where to find the goblins."

slugboy_73
2012-08-28, 06:59 AM
Sounds good, says Ian. With that he attempts to help pick the place up and clean as best he can.

Bhaakon
2012-08-29, 04:44 AM
You help the halfling into what remains of his bed, and Lena's healing hex greatly improves his pallor and closes his more serious wounds. He's still tired and weak, but no longer faint.

"I'd be much obliged if you stay here for a time, while I recover my strength. Consider my home and my stores as your own. Just be careful not to go out the back door." He chuckles, "that creature made that mistake, and I was able to hide myself while he fought off my slithery pets."

XP
150 each for rescuing Walthus

a_humble_lich
2012-08-30, 06:27 AM
Suddenly the curiosity of what lies behind the door forbidden overcomes Blackfoot. He looks around for any windows that might overlook the back door.

"So if I might ask, what brings you to stay out here all by yourself? Isn't this place supposed to be full of goblins?"

slugboy_73
2012-08-30, 12:32 PM
Once the place is picked up Ian takes up a post towards the front of the house where he can keep an eye out the front in case anything else comes to explore the house. He does keep an ear our for any interesting snippets of conversation.

Bhaakon
2012-09-04, 10:58 PM
Blackfoot wanders over to the nearest window and peers out the back. There's a walled-off nearly as large as the house, holding an area of relatively dry ground and bushes. It looks empty from above.

"I'm out here because my pets like the swamps, and the townsfolk didn't much care for me keeping my vipers in town," sighs the affable halfling. "The goblins don't much care for them either, so they haven't bothered me in years."

a_humble_lich
2012-09-05, 06:05 AM
"Too bad whatever that thing was wasn't afraid of the vipers." Blackfoot says as he peers down looking for the snakes. "And thank you for the hospitality. Not what were expecting out here."

Stormwind
2012-09-05, 06:30 AM
Lena tends to everyone's wounds and helps with the cleanup. As they rest she pays careful attention to the halfling as she tries to ascertain what sort of a person he is and whether is might be trustworthy as he seems.
Sense motive: [roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-09-06, 05:30 AM
"It's the least I could do, to sit here in bed and chat." Replies the halfling, "I'm feeling quite recovered now, though, and I believe I'm up to preparing a mid-day meal, if you'll join me."

@Lena
He seems genuine and trustworthy enough, but a bit anxious. He's working hard not to offend you by letting on how much dealing with other people discomforts him. You suspect that his snakes aren't the only reason he's adopted the life of a hermit.

@all
so are you going to rest here? It's still early in the day, even if you've burned through a lot of spells, HP, and powers.

Bhaakon
2012-09-10, 05:03 AM
The halfing's luncheon stretches on into afternoon tea, supper, and dessert as the half-starved Walthus makes up for the day and a half he spent trapped in his bolt hole. When it's all over, you have to help your stuffed host up the stairs an into his room to sleep off the meal (and the accompanying beverages).

With dark overtaking the swamp, you settle in to Walthus's guest room for the night and sleep in turns. The watch is a wise idea, but nothing more than the occasionally mosquito threatens during the sweltering night.

The heat breaks shortly before dawn, and the sun rises behind the veil of a thick, cool mist. "Don't worry," says the now-cheery Walthus as he shovels out leftover ham and fried potatoes, "the chill will lift in a few hours. Can't say the same for the damp, I'm afraid."

a_humble_lich
2012-09-10, 05:17 AM
While he had interacted with Halflings before on his travels, Blackfoot had never had the opportunity to spend much time with them. Now having shared a meal (and drink!) with one he has decided he really like them. Why can't more people be like that?

But the hated morning comes too soon. Why does it have to be so bright? Oh well, I guess goblins don't hunt themselves. Blackfoot considers asking Lena if she knows any magic good for curing hangovers, but noticing her disapproving gaze he checks himself.

"Well, I guess we will mind the damp air less after we start trudging through the marsh. Are you ready to go?"

slugboy_73
2012-09-10, 09:25 AM
Ian double checks his pack and makes sure he is ready to go for the morning. He asks the halfing, "Are the goblins nearby, or are there other residents like your tormentor and that other thing we fought, that we will have to take care of first?"

Mari01
2012-09-11, 01:17 AM
That thing mentioned that the goblins don't come near here. Is that true? And if I may ask, why?

Bhaakon
2012-09-12, 10:53 PM
"There are strange things in the swamp, to be sure. Especially deep in. Bugs as big your head, and spiders big enough to eat them, but I've never seen of anything like the beast that attacked me. The fishermen are always talking about some dog-legged monster that stalks the trails at night, but I've never seen it myself." Walthus rambles on for a few moments about the more mundane flora and fauna of the swamp; obviously a favorite topic of his, but not very interesting.

"There's also the old witch Megus. I walked up to her hut once, to be neighborly, but the crone and her talking rat-thing chased me off. As for the goblins, I ran them off with a few of my vipers back when I first moved in, and they haven't been back since. Can't say if they're afraid of snakes, or just want easier prey.

a_humble_lich
2012-09-13, 06:19 AM
"You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find goblins. It seems when you don't want to find them they are all over the place. Well, thank you for your hospitality, perhaps on our way back will stop by to see how you are doing."

Bhaakon
2012-09-14, 05:32 AM
"Well, if you want to find them, their village is easy enough to reach." Says Walthus, "they built it right across the old fishing trail. Just go back out to the main road and keep heading West until you hit the next trail-head."

slugboy_73
2012-09-14, 06:46 AM
Ian

The town of Sandpoint has put a bounty goblin ears due to their incessant raids. We are going out to do our part of putting an end to their menace.

a_humble_lich
2012-09-16, 06:03 AM
Sorry, somehow I totally missed Bhaakon's last post. Let's get going to the village!

"Well, thanks for you help, your food, and directions. You guys ready." Blackfoot says as he heads to the door.

slugboy_73
2012-09-17, 06:46 AM
"Ready to go," says Ian, heading for the door behind Blackfoot.

Bhaakon
2012-09-19, 02:13 AM
"One last thing," adds Walthus reluctantly. He stairs at his coat rack indecisively for a split second, but ultimately nods to himself and yanks down an emerald cloak. "Here, take this. It's not much payment for a life saved, but it's all I have. I know it doesn't look like much, but it's been magicked to help the wearer out of a scrape. Wish I'd been wearing it when that beasty broke in."

It's a cloak of resistance +1. He know what it is, and he's telling you so that don't have to ID it. I just don't want NPCs actually saying metagamey stuff like, "here, have a plus five sword of plot advancement."

The trail back to the road is as foggy and oppressive as you remember, but somehow less threatening. Maybe you're used to the swamp, or maybe you're just more confident after taking on some of its inhabitants. Either way, your trip back to the main path is uneventful.

Walthus is right, it's not hard to find the old fishing trail, a well-trod path flanked here and there by patches of burnt ground.

The bridges on the old trail are cruder but sturdier than on the new trail, and the ground is well-packed by the repeated passage of small, unshod feet. All eyes are peeled for an ambush that never comes, a decided lack of activity that's almost disconcerting as the goblin compound comes into view.

A filthy village-fort surrounded by a crude wooden palisade sits atop a low hummock of solid ground here. A wooden gate in the north wall of the palisade lies in shambles on the ground. Nearby, a large, algae-filled pool on the northeastern side breaks the palisade and allows a clearer view into the village’s interior, which consists of a collection of ramshackle huts connected by wooden walkways, all built on thick wooden stilts. A circular pit just inside the gate glows with the dying embers of a large bonfire.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/licktoadclean_zps4e2f6965.jpg

Use this to plan your approach to the village. The gate is the break in the wall at I2.

Mari01
2012-09-19, 10:32 AM
Alright goblin hunter. Seems like it's your time to shine. What's the plan?

a_humble_lich
2012-09-20, 06:18 AM
Blackfoot looks around to see who he is talking to. After he realizes everybody is looking at him, he steps back and says, "Wait, Wait, Wait. Why am I suddenly the goblin expert. I thought we were all goblin hunters.

That village looks pretty fortified. Do you think we could lure some of the goblins outside?"

Stormwind
2012-09-21, 11:58 AM
Once again prepared, Lena is notably more relaxed with her choice of companions this morning.

As the palisade of the goblin village comes into view, Lena pauses to cast a defensive magic.
Cast Mage armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mage-armor) (+4AC; 1 hr)

slugboy_73
2012-09-21, 01:53 PM
"I think she was talking to me Blackfoot," says Ian with a grin. As for a plan, I dunno, I am open to suggestions. None of us are that heavily armored, maybe sneak in and get a quick strike on some before the rest come out? Maybe set fire to a hut or two? Things seem pretty quiet for right now, I am leaning towards a stealthy approach to get a few first rather than stir them all up with the fire. What do you all think?

Sorry for the delay, work suddenly decided to get busy!

Stormwind
2012-09-22, 05:32 AM
Lena contemplates the palisade and the huts within and is quiet for a few moments before she responds to Ian's comment, "I think we should simply walk up to the broken gate, announce our presence and give them a chance to surrender the fireworks ... not that I expect that to work, but it would be good to give them a chance. Furthermore from the broken gate we would have a position from which we can act if it proves necessary."

a_humble_lich
2012-09-23, 06:52 AM
Given that he is covered in black feathers, you never would have imagined a crow could blush. I like the sneaky idea. One thing we need to be careful of is that goblins are pretty good with the sneaking themselves. We don't want to suddenly become the ambushed.

Bhaakon
2012-09-26, 04:24 AM
Despite your extended strategy discussion, the village remains quiet. There's no sign of motion beyond the thin stream of smoke wafting up from the coals in the fire pit.

slugboy_73
2012-09-26, 08:37 AM
"It looks like the village is asleep", says Ian. The main reward is on the head of the lead goblin of this village and the ears of goblins. The fireworks appear to be secondary. Let's see if we can go in there and start taking some out before the whole tribe is awakened."

a_humble_lich
2012-09-28, 07:26 AM
"Now that sounds like the kind of plan I approve of: the frontal assault. We go in a quiet-like get as many of the buggers as we can, and leave as quietly. What could go wrong?"

slugboy_73
2012-09-28, 09:34 AM
"Aside from them all waking up and us getting swarmed by swarming goblins, not to much," says Ian with a slight grin.

Bhaakon
2012-10-01, 10:52 PM
Frontal assault it is, then

There's no alarm raised as you walk up to the goblin village, nor resistance as you push through the broken gate. A haze of sickly-sweet smoke fills the walled compound, and a loud crack immediately draws your attention to the fire pit at your feet. A score or more of scorched skulls stare up from the coals. Most bear the unmistakably bulbous form and sharp-toothed grin of goblinkin, but you can pick out one or two human-like skulls as well.

The fire wasn't nearly large enough to consume the bodies completely, and small flurries of sparks occasionally burst up as the bones continue to crackle and pop in the heat.

Stormwind
2012-10-02, 06:19 AM
As she sees the burnt remains in the fire pit, Lena goes slightly pale and stifles an indrawn breath.

Moments later she focuses her attention elsewhere ... anywhere else in fact ... as she looks around the village.

Perception (to notice anything else in the village): [roll0]

slugboy_73
2012-10-02, 08:20 AM
Ian, with his axe ready, heads over to the first building and attempts to open the door (F3).

a_humble_lich
2012-10-07, 01:58 PM
"Dear god what happened here?" Blackfoot says as he looks at the fire pit. Blackfoot moves some of the ashes around with his sword, but when he sees the Ian move to open the door, Black foot hurries up behind him.