PDA

View Full Version : Add divine(cleric) spells to Spellbook

Ssin
2012-07-30, 06:01 AM
Hello playground giants :)

In a campaign I am currently playing a rogue 5/ fighter 6/ wizard 5.
Now since the wolrd has changed by some cataclysm there are a lot of undead up and about and in order to enhance my fighting capabilities against these undead (and my fighting abilities in general) I would like to be able to cast the following divine spells.

Gravestrike
Divine Favor
Divine Power
Magic Vestment
Righteous Might
Thundering weapon

I already have wands for gravestrike and divine power, however I would like to have these spells added to my spellbook instead of relying on items which I'll have to recharge (aka re-buy)

I have taken a look at the arcane disciple feat however no domain offers all the spells I want (barring the fact that those who come close are not correspondent with my deity)

any thoughts / ideas / suggestions?

Vashta
2012-07-30, 06:12 AM
Competition domain is a good option.

It won't get them all though.

Extra spell could work but it is expensive.

Otherwise buy items that cast them daily.

Ssin
2012-07-30, 06:18 AM
I had seen the competition domain, altho it is nice and gives the spells I really want (righteous might beats enlarge person on so many levels) the downside is that I am not a Kord worshipper but a Correlon elf (which no doubt will be pointed out to the DM by a fellow gamer who happens to be a Kord worshipping cleric with the competition domain ;-) )

Duke of URL
2012-07-30, 07:07 AM
You could always attempt to research arcane versions of those spells. That would require the DM to agree, of course, and it costs time and money.

Ssin
2012-07-30, 07:37 AM
any rules on that or is that just per DM fiat?

would that mean I can add the spells as same lvl (1 for gravestrike 5 for righteous might) to my spellbook or would their be a lvl increase or anything?

Duke of URL
2012-07-30, 07:44 AM
Rules for spell research are in the DMG, page 198. I cannot find them n the SRD, other than statements that independent research is possible.

Ssin
2012-07-30, 08:23 AM
OK put that question out to my DM, in the mean time, any other suggestions or ideas?

Corlindale
2012-07-30, 08:30 AM
There is a prestige class in one of the dragon-themed books called Wyrm Wizard, which lets you add a few spells from any list to your wizard spells. Not sure if its worth it, I haven't got the book with me now and I don't remember the specifics.

Ssin
2012-07-30, 10:41 AM
Wyrm Wizard looks nice, altho I'd hate to losse spellcasting progression (I have so little already) I lso found Rainbow servant, which would grant me access to all Cleric spells at lvl 10, but by then I would have reach ECL 26 already and I don't think the campaign will go on that long

Sgt. Cookie
2012-07-30, 11:02 AM
There's always going Archivist (Heroes of horror). It's basically just a Divine wizard (Complete with Int dependence), with the added bonus of using Druid, as well as Cleric spells. It might not be what you are after, but it can work.

Downysole
2012-07-30, 11:02 AM
You would have to be a mid-level cleric to cast some of those spells, so you're not going to be able to just add them to your low-level wizard list.

I agree that per-day items that can cast the effects would be a good idea. Don't forget that you can specialize these items to reduce their costs. For example, a lawful good cleric may use this item, but others may not, drop 30% off the price.

Vashta
2012-07-30, 03:21 PM
If you go the item route try to make sure the items are command word activated to save on actions.

Ssin
2012-07-31, 02:28 AM
It might indeed be wise to go for the items route as well (although grave strike is really something that should be in my spellbook :p) but divine favor and magic vestement are far more usefull when cast with a caster lvl of 18 - 20

Where can I find the rules about item specialization and the drop off in price?

killianh
2012-07-31, 05:05 AM
If you had more levels to play around with I would suggest Urpriest or similar fast progression PrC, but the item route is probably best for you

Downysole
2012-07-31, 07:44 AM
It might indeed be wise to go for the items route as well (although grave strike is really something that should be in my spellbook :p) but divine favor and magic vestement are far more usefull when cast with a caster lvl of 18 - 20

Where can I find the rules about item specialization and the drop off in price?

If you have those other classes in there (rogue and fighter), you're never going to get to 18-20 caster level unless you're epic, and you really don't need to be worrying about spells like Magic Vestment at that point because you'll have Greater Magic Vestment, Barkskin, Shield of Faith, etc. and you can stack miss chances as well.

Magic Item Compendium helps out with pricing guidelines, and the same information can be found in the back of the DMG, but without all the tweaks.

Ssin
2012-07-31, 09:29 AM
sorry, I ment greater magic vestement naturally :)

I understand I'm not going to reach caster lvl 18-20 any time soon, although for divine power / righteous might that's no so interesting, the other spells though... I'll take a look at the magic item compendium for creating, pricing etc.

thanks everybody :)

Flickerdart
2012-07-31, 09:44 AM
Consider that many creatures (especially good-aligned Outsiders and Magical Beasts) have built-in Cleric casting, and with various Charms and Planar Bindings (or plain ol' Diplomacy) it shouldn't be that difficult to convince or compel one of them to come along for a bit and help you out with their spellcasting, especially if you're furthering the cause of Good.