PDA

View Full Version : Hat of disguise. how long does it work?

shaga
2012-07-30, 10:10 AM
Ok so a had of disguise works like the disguise self spell... but how long does it work for? So far I assumed it was a continuous effect but an evil player noticed that it costs 1800gp, which is the price for a command word item, not a use activated or continuous item...

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-30, 10:25 AM
Indefinitely, some items are just screaming deals. See: Belt of Wonder, Most of Bunko's Bargain Bin.

Hunter Noventa
2012-07-30, 10:26 AM
Ok so a had of disguise works like the disguise self spell... but how long does it work for? So far I assumed it was a continuous effect but an evil player noticed that it costs 1800gp, which is the price for a command word item, not a use activated or continuous item...

For one, the custom magic item rules do not always add up when looking at Official items, simply because so many items use a spell in it's creation, yet function in ways not like the spell itself.

Generally, unless listed otherwise, I think most Wondrous items are continuous/at-will.

Telonius
2012-07-30, 10:28 AM
Disguise Self is a level 1 spell. Since magic items cast the spell at the lowest level possible (unless otherwise noted), it's casting as though it's from a Wizard1. Duration of the spell is 10 minutes/level, so the illusion lasts for 10 minutes.

You can activate it again when it wears off (or whenever you want to, really) just by speaking the Command Word as a Standard Action. Usually the assumption is that sometime within the ten minutes, a character speaks the command word unobtrusively, thus continuing the illusion. If you really wanted to make a continuous version of it, it would cost 3,000gp.

EDIT: Command Word (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#commandWord) is usually the assumed method of activation:

If no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

I can definitely see "Nature of the Item" being ruled as "put on the hat and it works," but the price does suggest otherwise.

shaga
2012-07-30, 10:40 AM
D
You can activate it again when it wears off (or whenever you want to, really) just by speaking the Command Word as a Standard Action. Usually the assumption is that sometime within the ten minutes, a character speaks the command word unobtrusively, thus continuing the illusion. If you really wanted to make a continuous version of it, it would cost 3,000gp.

If you need to re activate the item every 10 (or less) minutes, doesn't that, effects your disguise check?

Madcrafter
2012-07-30, 12:52 PM
I'm sure one can find a time to whisper a command word quietly every 10 minutes without interfering with the disguise. Or just cough it out.

But it is an absolutely wonderful deal. An item I get on every character if I can, unless it really doesn't fit their personality.

ericgrau
2012-07-30, 01:07 PM
If you need to re activate the item every 10 (or less) minutes, doesn't that, effects your disguise check?
Since the DM rolls a secret disguise check only when you're observed, it shouldn't make much difference; still 1 roll. I suppose if you're observed twice on a long day he'd roll twice then, but otherwise 10 minutes outlasts most encounters and many adventuring days.

The default is command word activation, and yeah an 1,800 gp price tag rather than 2,000 gp suggests that too. The item also says "as a disguise self spell" which at caster level 1 means 10 minutes.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-30, 01:45 PM
I agree with the above arguments for the RAW of the matter, but I'd certainly be willing to allow a player to get a command-thought activated hat of disguise, or pay the difference to get it as a use activated device.