PDA

View Full Version : Would this be broken?

Razanir
2012-07-30, 02:08 PM
I've never liked the monk and paladin ban on multi-classing

Like a member of any other class, a paladin may be a multiclass character, but multiclass paladins face a special restriction. A paladin who gains a level in any class other than paladin may never again raise her paladin level, though she retains all her paladin abilities.

Like a member of any other class, a monk may be a multiclass character, but multiclass monks face a special restriction. A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.

None of my players are paladins, although one is a monk. Also, the BBEG's mooks are monks. Would it be broken to remove the ban for my campaign? It would let the PC multiclass and let me make more interesting NPCs

Gorfnod
2012-07-30, 02:11 PM
The ban on multiclassing is completely fluff-based and it wouldn't change anything balance-wise to allow them to multiclass freely.

Invader
2012-07-30, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't think it's broken at all. I always thought that rule was more for fluff than crunch anyways.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-30, 02:12 PM
No, it wouldn't be broken at all. Some settings already have rules that change that one. FR has several orders of monks or paladins that can multiclass freely with listed classes, while OA lets monks multiclass freely period.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-30, 02:29 PM

None of my players are paladins, although one is a monk. Also, the BBEG's mooks are monks. Would it be broken to remove the ban for my campaign? It would let the PC multiclass and let me make more interesting NPCs

Not a problem in the slightest. Neither monk nor paladin are particularly overpowered, so removing this restriction mostly just saves effort and makes more combos available, without players worrying "what if I want to go back into x".

Rubik
2012-07-30, 02:34 PM
At most it saves part of a feat, since as it stands now you have to take a sub-par feat to go back to a sub-par class. However, it still doesn't allow the classes to stack, so you'll still want a feat to do so. (See: Tashalatora)

kitcik
2012-07-30, 03:44 PM

If you allow a meh class to freely multiclass with a crappy classy... well, let's just say not even the fighter's guild has worries about monkadins.