PDA

View Full Version : Most awesome Dracolich build.

ShadowFireLance
2012-07-30, 03:42 PM
As the title says, What are some of the best caster Dracolich?
Level 26, 3.x No dragon/Dungeon, High turn/command resistance.
No infinte loopz

A_S
2012-07-30, 03:50 PM
Does the level 26 include LA (i.e., do you want an ECL 26 dracolich, or a dracolich with 26 hit dice)?

*edit* I guess at that level everything is gonna have LA: - anyway, huh?

A_S
2012-07-30, 04:39 PM
Okay, so looking through all the Dragon entries I can find, it looks like they pretty much suck at spellcasting. If you really want to make a spellcaster dragon, your best bet is probably advancement by class levels (preferably fast-progression classes like Ur-Priest or Sublime Chord). You can use your initial Dragon hit dice to qualify for these pretty easily, and then either advance them to level 10, or take prestige classes that advance them (a draconic Ur-Priest would do pretty well transitioning into one of the divine caster PrC's in Draconomicon, for instance, that turn your Sorc spellcasting into extra levels of a divine casting class of your choice, in this case Ur-Priest).

One potential problem with this approach is that, RAW, advancement by character class doesn't increase size categories for Dragons (they have to age into those), so you're likely to end up with some tiny little wimpy looking creature which, although it casts decently well, really isn't any better off than a PC caster of that same level (since young dragons tend to have pretty crappy stats).

An alternative approach I'd suggest is going for more racial HD, then splashing class levels that give you cool abilities, without worrying too much about whether you're technically building a "caster." One idea that might occurred to me looking through the various dragon types:

-----

Adult (19 RHD) Shadow Dragon Swordsage 2 / Telflammar Shadowlord 5

Pick up all the Shadow Hand [teleportation] maneuvers (and Assassin's Stance to qualify for TSL), spend your 5th level Sorc casting on more teleporting (Dimension Hop) and gish spells (Wraithstrike). You end up with an undead Shadow dragon with total concealment, constantly teleporting around the battlefield dishing out full attacks that trigger high-DC paralysis (thanks to the Dracolich template). When it gets killed, it can make a Reflex save to disappear in a puff of smoke instead of dying (before it even gets to the phylactery stage). Not technically a caster (well, some spellcasting, but not much), but all that teleporting and stuff ought to make it seem like a magic-focused fight, and it's a lot more thematic than just taking a Wyrmling dragon and giving it some caster levels.

Igneel
2012-07-30, 05:48 PM
1) Dragonwrought + Kobold = HD/LA 0 Dragon
2) Advance to Great Wyrm age for bonus mental stat points.
3) Devote the majority if not all of one side as Sorcerer/PrC's that advance Sorcerer spellcasting.
4) Take the rituals to gain virtual Sorcerer levels.
5) Take the "Dragons of Eberron" book's variant dragons that gain spellcasting/maneuvers from other classes pending on Sorcerer level, choosing from whichever one you want. Doing so you pseudo-gain a third side.
6*) Have your other side of gestalt either compliment your sorcerer levels, with more melee-themed Cha classes, or templates. An idea is to use the build that's been floating around the forums that involves the Undersong spell, Perform (Weapon Drill), and Warblade/class grants Mettle levels to Perform through saves.
7) Gain Dracolich template while gaining class levels.
8) Start stockpiling reptilian/draconic bodies for when/if you get destroyed to come back in, as Dracolich uses 2e Lich regeneration rules.

*Alternate step:
Pun-pun-lite
U Mad bro? :smalltongue: :smallwink:

A_S
2012-07-30, 06:23 PM
Hm, I guess that response begs a question I should have asked: Are you the DM, or a player? If the latter, are the restrictions listed in the OP the only ones you've been given? And if so, can you clarify what exactly is meant by "level 26" (since most level 26 dragons aren't really meant to be played by players, exceptions like the kobold cheese listed above aside)?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-30, 07:06 PM
Hm, I guess that response begs a question I should have asked: Are you the DM, or a player? If the latter, are the restrictions listed in the OP the only ones you've been given? And if so, can you clarify what exactly is meant by "level 26" (since most level 26 dragons aren't really meant to be played by players, exceptions like the kobold cheese listed above aside)?

If the OP is the DM, maybe he's talking CR26?

That I could easily see. Maybe some something like... Loredrake (DoE) Great Wyrm Steel Dragon Dracolich (CR21, casts spell as a 23rd level sorceror (who choses spells off of the cleric and wiz/sorc, theoretically). Actually, toss on 5 levels of sorceror to make it CR26 (sorceror's an associated class, right?) for a decent physical threat that casts as a 28th level sorceror.

Urpriest
2012-07-30, 07:30 PM
snip

Did the OP say gestalt?

Assuming CR 26, I agree with the suggestion of something Steel Dragon based. Shadow Dragon is also attractive: weaker casting (though you'll still have 9ths), and some nice defensive abilities.

Igneel
2012-07-30, 07:45 PM
Did the OP say gestalt?

Assuming CR 26, I agree with the suggestion of something Steel Dragon based. Shadow Dragon is also attractive: weaker casting (though you'll still have 9ths), and some nice defensive abilities.

The OP is a player in a game that I'm in, and has posted several 'Dragon-themed' threads for the past couple of weeks asking for builds, races, etc.

Of course, for all I know he's applied for another game and I just shot myself in the foot. =P

ShadowFireLance
2012-07-30, 08:21 PM
Nope mister Igneel, Brother Horseman...(Yup)

OK.

Getsalt, ECL=RHD.
And as a player race.
No CR

Igneel
2012-07-30, 08:28 PM
I've always loved playing as a Pseudodragon... ^^

I can't remember what book it was in or its name, but there was another small dragon that feeds on magical charges from magic items and had a series of SLA's. Fluff wise, it says that after it eats all the charges of an item in one go it lays a egg asexually as well, making it an interesting reason to have a bunch of its species living under it. Now to feed all those mouths =P

Urpriest
2012-07-31, 08:21 AM
If ECL=RHD, how are templates handled?

If you're going for casting the answer will probably still be Steel Dragon (unless you want to avoid the point and go kobold), though with gestalt Shadow Dragon could pull ahead since you can make up for its lost caster level on the other side.

A_S
2012-07-31, 10:33 AM
So, I realize it turns out not to really be what you were looking for, but I got excited about that shadowpouncing shadow dragon idea, so I statted one out, and I figured I'd just post it, because I think it sounds like a cool encounter. Now I just have to try to work it into a campaign somehow...

-----

Thaxll'ssillyia
Mature Adult Shadow Dracolich Swordsage 2 / Telflammar Shadowlord 5
Large Undead (Augmented Dragon)
Hit Dice: 22d12 + 2d8 + 5d6 (175 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 80 ft, fly 150 ft (poor)
Armor Class: 43 (-1 size, +2 dex, +5 wis, +27 nat), touch 16, flat-footed 41
Base Attack/Grapple: +26/+39
Full Attack: Bite +34 melee (2d6+9+1d6 cold) and 2 claws with Improved Rapidstrike +33/+33/+33/+33/+28/+23/+18 melee (1d8+4+1d6 cold) and 2 wings with Improved Rapidstrike +32/+32/+32/+32/+27/+22/+17 melee (1d6+4+1d6 cold) and 1 tail slap +32 melee (1d8+13+1d6 cold)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, discipline focus (weapon focus: tiger claw), frightful presence, maneuvers, paralyzing gaze, paralyzing touch, shadow jump, shadow pounce, spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: AC bonus, blindsense 60 ft., damage reduction 10/magic and 5/bludgeoning, darkvision 120 ft., immunity to cold, electricity, magic sleep effects, polymorph, and paralysis, invulnerability, shadow blend, shadow blur, shadow discorporation, spell resistance 28, undead traits
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +22, Will +22
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 14, Con —, Int 22, Wis 20, Cha 26
Skills: Balance +9, Concentration +40, Hide +30, Intimidate +33, Jump +36, Knowledge (arcana) +31, Knowledge (local: Thesk) +8, Knowledge (religion) +31, Knowledge (the planes) +31, Listen +37, Move Silently +34, Sense Motive +30, Spellcraft +19, Spot +37, Tumble +28, Use Magic Device +9
Feats: Ability Focus (paralyzing touch), Blind Fight, Dodge, Improved Rapidstrike (claws), Improved Rapidstrike (wings), Mobility, Multiattack, Rapidstrike (claws), Rapidstrike (wings), Spring Attack
Challenge Rating: 26

Breath Weapon (Su): 40 ft. cone, 4 negative levels, Reflex DC 29 half.
Discipline Focus (Ex): Thaxll'ssillyia is treated as having the Weapon Focus feat for Tiger Claw weapons, including her natural claw attacks.
Frightful Presence (Ex): 210 ft. radius, HD 21 or less, Will DC 29 negates for 24 hours.
Invulnerability: If Thaxll'ssillyia is slain, her spirit immediately returns to her phylactery, from where it may attempt to possess a suitable corpse.
Maneuvers: IL 15, 4 readied maneuvers.
Paralyzing Gaze (Su): Gaze attack, paralyzes victims within 40 ft. for 2d6 rounds, Fortitude DC 29 negates permanently.
Paralyzing Touch (Su): A creature struck by any of Thaxll'ssillyia's natural attacks must make a DC 31 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 2d6 rounds.
Shadow Blend (Su): In any illumination other than full daylight (a daylight spell counts), Thaxll'ssillyia can disappear into the shadows, giving her total concealment.
Shadow Blur (Su): If Thaxll'ssillyia is not in daylight or the illuminated radius of a light source, she may assume the benefits of the blur spell. This ability may be activated or deactivated as a free action.
Shadow Discorporation (Su): If Thaxll'ssillyia is in shadow or darkness, then any time she is dealt potentially lethal damage, she may attempt a Reflex save (DC 5 + damage dealt) to discorporate into shadows instead. If she succeeds, she appears at the next sunset at a location of her choosing within one mile of where she discorporated.
Shadow Jump (Su): As dimension door, but only between areas of shadow or darkness. 100 ft./day.
Shadow Pounce (Ex): Thaxll'ssillyia may execute a full attack upon completion of any ability, spell, or effect with the [teleportation] descriptor, as long as she starts with line of sight to her target and teleports to an appropriate location.
Spell-like Abilities: 3/day — mirror image CL 7, 2/day — dimension door CL 7, 1/day — shadow walk CL 5, 1/3 days — control undead CL 15 (Will DC 25 negates).
Spells: As 7th level Sorcerer and 5th level Telflammar Shadowlord.
Undead Traits: Thaxll'ssillyia is immune to mind-affecting effects, poison, magic sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects or is harmless. She is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage to her physical ability scores, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or death from massive damage. She cannot be raised, and resurrection works only if she is willing.
Maneuvers and Stances Known: action before thought, leaping flame, shadow jaunt, shadow stride, shadow blink, wind stride, zephyr dance; assassin's stance, hunter's sense.
Sorcerer Spells Known: (6/8/8/6; save DC 18 + spell level): 0—detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, message, prestidigitation, read magic, touch of fatigue; 1—charm person, grease, nightshield, true strike, unseen servant; 2—dimension hop, see invisibility, wraithstrike; 3—dispel magic, gentle repose.
Telflammar Shadowlord Spells Known: (4/3/1; save DC 16 + spell level): (see Unapproachable East, p. 37).