PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3,5 [DM needs feedback!!!!]

Kramplarv
2012-07-30, 04:33 PM
Yo! I'm a long time stalker of this community. And now I decided to be a more active part of this site.

i am not a native english speaker/writer so any grammar mistakes are made by my keyboard. :)

I'd like to have some feedback/suggestions for an upcoming campaign I will DM.
Since all of my players are registret here on the very same site, and since they read EVERYTHING anyone writes I will just post the common knowledge/info everyone would know and if you find it interesting enough to learn the details PM me. :)

Anyways: Here goes the basics of my little DM-world.

The country/nation Lordaryth is ruled by a liche king. Yes, a liche which is King of the country. He has been the king for a century or so.

the licheking is somewhat of an enlightened monarch and he promotes arts, science and such things. All hard labor are made by zombies, and when more intelligence are needed, slaves.

Lordaryth have public transportationsystems, powered by the undead. buses, coaches etc. Also, the guardsmen of the cities/towns are made up by intelligent undead.

The laws of the country are extremely draconic and the state (liche) have all rights to your body after you've died. All crimes are punished with death also.

Since the liche has been king for as long as any human can remember and most of the society doesn't have to labor as hard as they would without zombies the liche is quite popular and have complete public support.

-----
foreign
----

Lordaryth invaded and took control of a small neighbouring region called Gwalyn. (loosely based on welsh/celtic society). And the beforementioned slaves are from Gwalyn. They have no formal rights in Lordaryth, they are not allowed to be armed, they have no rights to marriage, they are not allowed to own land etc.

That was met by an uprising by some clans, but after a major defeat the Warlord of the Gwalyn was killed and later resurrected as a Death Knight. He is now the magistrate of Gwalyn and rules with an iron fist.

The entire region of Gwalyn is walled in, just like westberlin. Anytime the Lordarythians can come in and command forced laborforces somewhere in the country.

Well, obviously this kind of oppression are met with resistance. There no less than THREE!!! liberation organisations. GLA, (Gwalyn liberation army) which is led by the former Warlords daughter. PLMG (people's liberation movement of Gwalyn ), led by a charismatic former lord Marshal of the Royal guards in Lordaryth. They fight for independence and a two-state sollution.

And at last we have the organisation, a llittle more secret than the others, called Will of the People. This one is mighty radical, they want to overthrow the liche and destroy the entire establishment.

To add some additional confusion we have the neighbouring kingdom of Astoria. They have an old king without heirs, so all the nobility are fighting each other in both cold and hot wars. This makes the old King quite powerless so the different noble houses in Astoria are supporting different factions in Lordaryth. Some like to see the liche being in power, some believe in freedom for everyone etc.

And at last, We have the church of Heironus who wants to lay hand on a magical artifact the liche is after. because everything a liche might want to have must be evil and thus be destroyed or at least obtained and kept in a fortress.

This said item is a special magical orb of [insert silly name] which the Liche will pay 10 000gc for if anyone retrieves it and provides it to him.

::::::::::

Well, this is the basics of the big picture. What I am doing, as you can see, are creating quite a big place with a lot of stuff going on. Something like the Fallout-games and/or Skyrim.

I have 6 major factions which the PC can join. The liche, the church of Heironous, the Astorian nobles,or one of the three liberation-movements. (or doing it Yoijimbo-style)

What I'd like to receive from you guys are feedback on my world. Is it silly? interesting? To big? To complicated? etc.

I'd also love som detalied feedback on my campaign-story, but that means you have to email me/PM me since I can't put it out to public display because of my own players. :)

I'd also like some tips and suggestions how to make this big campaign-world to seem more alive. A lot of small encounters, big encounters, sub-quests, sub-plots etc. All the small stuff making the Fallout-games or the Elder Scrolls to be such good and living games.

My style as a DM is based on rule of cool. If it is cool, it can and will be done. Also, I like movies a lot so anything which makes a nice cinematic scene is also good stuff for me.

My players are some of my oldest friends and they have the followin personality traits:

#1 is a serious player, he can do any character he wants. He is very flexible and extremely adaptable. He is our most senior DM and quite experienced.

#2 is a person with very short attention span. The world is a big toy to played with and hopefully stabbed in the kidneys while seducing the guards before stealing their money. Like to keep the other players unaware of all this though, Wich often leads to TPK because of a reckless stealing of the crown jewels etc.

#3 Have extremely focus on small, domestic details. He likes to calculate how much wheat his newfounded kingdom can produce and when and where to sell it for maximal profit. His view on DnD is something near "sim city". :)

#4 is the last one. Also an experienced

In general the group is more close combat oriented than magic. They also tend to distrust each other as much as the DM. One of the 100% sure ways to make them cooperate more than 5 minutes is to threaten them with an immense dragon of DOOM! :) The combined logical and intellectual capacity also tends to go downwards the longer they play with each other. (because they dont trust each other :p)

We will play with E6 rules, and just Core+complete books and we play for cinematic/fun gaming, not to find the best characters. If we think a certain build are more cinematic and have a good story we will take sub-par characters. (example: We have a dwarf pure samurai, his goal is to find the perfect Kenjutsu and become a Kensai. He is a useless character mechanics-wise, but he is the coolest character we have had for years.)

Anyway; I hope someone will read this and give me good suggestions how to make the world alive and kicking. :)

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-30, 07:38 PM
First off, you're a lurker, not a stalker. The latter has a very different connotation in english and you want to stay away from it.

Sounds like a fairly interesting world to me. I can see a few issues, though.

How do you have a lich under E6 rules? I only bring it up because any rules savvy player will too.

When you say the citizens of Lordaryth are 100% behind their lich king, you can't mean 100%? Surely at least some of the citizenry are appalled enough by the undead and/or slave-treatment to be a vocal minority.

How are the undead that have feeding requirements/habits addressed? I would presume they get to take turns as executioner since all crimes are an instant death-penalty. This too should cause at least some unrest amongst some of the citizenry.

What about Lordaryth religion? You mentioned the church of Heironeous in a neighboring kingdom, but what about domestically?

These are things you'll want answers for if you want a more complete world. I just thought of each of them off the top of my head. It's likely your players will ask these questions too.

DrDeth
2012-07-31, 10:49 PM
You have some wonderful ideas for the campaign setting. But they need to decide and pick one faction for all of them. Give them the setting and tell them you'll write the campaign around whatever faction they want to play.

But why E6? Are you scared of what the PC's might do if unfettered? I really don't like E6, might as well switch to another game entirely.

Try Pathfinder, Core and APG only.

killianh
2012-08-01, 01:02 AM
world and story both sound like a lot of fun:smallsmile: I would suggest adding the book Heroes of Battle to your list (I'm sure you can find a free read copy online if you don't already own it) just because it has great rules for things like faction wars, special missions, and even a point system to help you keep track of which factions are gaining or losing ground

deuxhero
2012-08-01, 01:33 AM
Sentences in English always* start with capital letters and sentences don't begin with "and" (try replacing the period with a comma and using a lower case a for some or rewrite the sentence to avoid it). Still better than some "native" speakers I deal with and the only consistent grammar mistakes I see at a glance.

Also Lich in D&D is normally spelled without an e, but I think it's a valid alternative as far as English goes, and it is a flavor thing.

*There are exceptions, but the ones I can think of won't be seen outside some technical fields.