PDA

View Full Version : Know any good homebrew demographics tables?

Urpriest
2012-07-30, 04:51 PM
I like having the ability to randomly generate the classes of a city's worth of people. What I don't like is the way the default tables assumed that the only classes in existence were the PHB ones, and subsequently required there to be a character of each level around. It feels silly that for every Wizard a city will usually also have a Sorceror, rather than Wizards and Sorcerors filling the same "niche". I would have thought that Eberron would avoid this model, but instead it just adds entries for its own classes. Does anyone know of a homebrew or 3rd party demographics table that lets someone randomly generate the classes of NPCs but that can freely expand to a wider range of classes without skewing the proportions? Something that assigns "roles" randomly rather than specific classes would be ideal.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-30, 10:04 PM
Maybe when it says a city has X clerics, it actually has Y% clerics, and (100-Y)Favored Souls.

Other than that, perhaps you can make it in excel?
1 cell=city size. For a given size, use a macro to randomly determine population.
Set your race percentages, 70% human, 10% dwarf, etc. And it'll give you what number each race actually has. Also set your class percentages. Barbarian, Fighter, Archivist, etc.
Finally, set up a distribution of levels. Maybe simple one of 70% are levels 1-5. 15% are levels 5-10. And so on.
You can also set this up for different professions. Blacksmith, foodmerchant, tavernwenches, etc.
Make sure to set it to round down decimals.

Next sheet will be a table that has classes going across the top, and races down the side. So you know how many of each race/class combo are in a city.
If decimals add up enough to account for whole numbers, make the extras into human commoners or whatever. Or perhaps, *special* You know, the werebear lolth-touched halfminotaur human that one of your PCs has for a mentor. Or for the NPCs you need to advance your story.

Third sheet. Now that you've got your total numbers for each race/class combo (sheet 2), and percentages for each level (sheet 1), you can take each cell from sheet 2, and determine how many are each level.
Or perhaps, now do 1 sheet for each race and/or class, so you can look up whatever distribution you want.

Of course, this randomness will sometimes result in oddities if you don't build your macros right. Like using this in Sigil, with just 5% commoners, but 15% of people are over epic level, means you could end up with a level 25 commoner.

Urpriest
2012-07-31, 08:18 AM
Maybe when it says a city has X clerics, it actually has Y% clerics, and (100-Y)Favored Souls.

See, this is precisely what I'm looking for. Currently the table is structured so that that sort of thing wouldn't make sense, since various classes that should probably be the same entry aren't. I'm looking for a table that gives characters by role in such a way that I can easily expand it to more classes. I don't need it to specify whether the character is a Favored Soul or a Cleric, but I need it to be clear whether Beguiler would be under Sorceror or Wizard, for example.