PDA

View Full Version : How does one stay interested in pbp

Akisa
2012-07-30, 06:39 PM
I was wondering how do people stay interested in pbp. I find myself unable to stay interested as I feel like no progress is being made even at the best of times.

Togo
2012-07-30, 06:46 PM
Hm.. I'd be interested in an answer since:

a) The drop out rate seems very high
b) The sign up rate is also very high

I'm guessing that the main thing is to keep people interested either by making sure the pace is quick enough that there's new material every time someone checks the board (how fast that is will vary greatly from player to player).

I'd also suggest that tactical discussion and roleplaying interaction between players is a key ingredient, since that means the DM isn't trying to provide all the material himself.

I've only ever run one PbP game, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer. Then again, it's still running, so maybe I am?

Golden Ladybug
2012-07-30, 07:03 PM
I think the most important thing is that you have to like the people you're playing with, and their characters. If you're trying to play a game with someone you don't like in real life, then you kind of have to just deal with it.

But if you're playing with someone you don't like on the Internet? Why would you keep playing? Its not like anything is keeping you there.

Other than that, there's a whole heap of factors; the DM needs to be interested in the story he's telling, because otherwise its not going to be enjoyable for them or the players, and it's probably best if they have a "plot"; Sandbox games tend to work poorly on PbP, because of the speed at which things happen (that is, slow). Roleplay is generally a better focus to have then Combat, since combat takes a really long time to resolve. That said, that roleplay has to have some results; it can't just be going around in circles forever. Everyone has to be understanding that people have a life outside the game; not everyone is going to be able to post all the time. Sometimes people just aren't feeling their character, or the story.

You've also just got to enjoy it; if you're having fun in a game, you'll stick around. I've been playing in a game since October last year, and despite innumerable setbacks (people moving, computers breaking, players and DM being unable to post for long periods of time, people getting banned), it has been one of the most fun games I've ever played. We're still dragging ourselves along, and hopefully we'll keep doing just that.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-07-30, 07:10 PM
One of these days I'm going to write up some kind of Play-by-post manifesto. A tirade about the ups, downs, risks, and rewards of this form of gaming that I am pathetically addicted to.

For now, I'll say that PBP is definitely not for everyone. Only those who possess a particular strain of this RPG disease. DERP.

Provengreil
2012-07-31, 05:41 AM
I know this really doesn't help much, but I only manage by having already known everyone involved IRL. we're now separated by physical means: I'm in the navy, DM's in college still, one player is in europe right now. We wouldn't still be going at it if we didn't already like our group, I'm sure of it.

molten_dragon
2012-07-31, 05:50 AM
I am definitely not the person to ask about that. I've never been able to stay interested for more than a week or two. The pace is just WAY too slow.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-07-31, 07:51 AM
Lots of RP, find ways to streamline combat, and most importantly; make sure that you like the story/setting and that the characters are more than a bunch of stats. Weak fluff is what kills most pbp:s in my experience.

Ozreth
2012-07-31, 08:43 AM
I know this really doesn't help much, but I only manage by having already known everyone involved IRL. we're now separated by physical means: I'm in the navy, DM's in college still, one player is in europe right now. We wouldn't still be going at it if we didn't already like our group, I'm sure of it.

In your case why don't you guys play via roll20 or something? Would be much closer to the real deal.

only1doug
2012-07-31, 09:15 AM
Ideally players should interact with each other, if they chat amongst themselves they aren't just waiting for the GM to post so there is still stuff happening.

I almost always play the "last post" sub-game.
My rules for last post are as follows:
You cannot post unless there are at least 2 posts since your previous post (unless you have a valid interaction to make),
You must post something that will add something to the game (dialogue or an action).

I end up re-checking for new posts on my PbP games quite frequently.

Eldan
2012-07-31, 09:43 AM
I have one simple rule I have developed recently:

Don't play on GitP. It's a simple rule, but one I have found works very effectively.

Now, the playgrounders are wonderful people, on average. However, for some reason of chemistry and atmosphere, all games on this board die.

I've had beautifully written, long-lasting, quick-moving games. On other boards. Never here.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-07-31, 10:23 AM

Don't play on GitP. It's a simple rule, but one I have found works very effectively.

Now, the playgrounders are wonderful people, on average. However, for some reason of chemistry and atmosphere, all games on this board die.

I've had beautifully written, long-lasting, quick-moving games. On other boards. Never here.

So.. Where do you play? Mythweavers?

Toliudar
2012-07-31, 11:14 AM
As with so many things, I find that the secret to enjoying PBP is lowered expectations. I expect to contribute flavourfully to a story, and to try not to hog the limelight (I'm still working on the latter - Doug's last post guidelines might be a good start with this). I endeavour to be pleasantly surprised whenever others do the same. I've had a few magnificent games on this board, stories that spanned years and maintained at least some coherence through player drops and periods of real life getting in the way. I think that smaller groups work better in PBP, but others' experiences vary in that.

Sadly, although this is of course a gross generalization, I try to avoid games driven by players who don't have an extended presence on the boards. The drop out rate seems to be dramatically higher if this is a first or second game for the player involved.

Provengreil
2012-07-31, 11:40 AM
In your case why don't you guys play via roll20 or something? Would be much closer to the real deal.

timezones, job times, crappy internet connections on at least my end(as in reset connection manually every ten minutes crappy), irregular schedules...posting on a forum isn't just the best way, it's the only one as we see it. so, here is as good as anywhere else.

Ernir
2012-07-31, 12:32 PM
I was wondering how do people stay interested in pbp. I find myself unable to stay interested as I feel like no progress is being made even at the best of times.

I'm not sure if it's possible to grow an interest in something. I've tried, on a number of subjects. Hasn't ever really worked for me.

I'd suggest just not applying to games unless you are truly enthusiastic about everything about that game. The DM, the campaign premise, the houserules, the other players, the everything.
If that means you don't apply to games any more, well, that would imply PbP simply isn't really for you.

all games on this board die.
Meh. There are exceptions to that.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-31, 12:33 PM
Pbp is a different medium. The thing is, any rules heavy system is awful for pbp. Maybe that's your problem. When you think of D&D, a combat heavy and rules heavy system, you want to roll dice and kill monsters.

Pbp works a lot better when you focus on telling a story instead of playing a game.

Eldan
2012-07-31, 12:53 PM
Pbp is a different medium. The thing is, any rules heavy system is awful for pbp. Maybe that's your problem. When you think of D&D, a combat heavy and rules heavy system, you want to roll dice and kill monsters.

Pbp works a lot later when you focus on telling a story instead of playing a game.

Not necessarily. I was on a German board about, oh, six years back. We were all in the time zone and had a very pushy GM who was also very quick with updating maps, so we could get through a multi-round combat with a dozen enemies in a day.

Of course, that requires a special constellation.

Sallera
2012-07-31, 01:04 PM
Eh, these forums are alright for it. One game I'm in here has been going for nearly three years. But I'll echo many of the sentiments above. You really need a motivated DM, and most of the time well-developed characters are also a necessity. Sandbox rarely works well (I've been in one successful sandbox game, and it only runs as well as it does due to careful character selection - everyone needs to have their own well-defined goals and take steps to achieve them.) And you need to have at least one player, preferably two, who are proactive in moving the story forward. Long pauses where no one is really sure whether to post have to be filled, or you'll lose people's interest quickly.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-31, 01:23 PM
Not necessarily. I was on a German board about, oh, six years back. We were all in the time zone and had a very pushy GM who was also very quick with updating maps, so we could get through a multi-round combat with a dozen enemies in a day.

Of course, that requires a special constellation.

Well, pbp is necessarily a different medium. There is no arguing that. :smallbiggrin:
Of course there are corner situations, like the one you mentioned. I used to GM a play by e-mail focused on martial artists with more than 30 players. It was a success for about 4 years, until the amount of work to keep it working kept me from continuing it. Everyone still has fond memories of it - we had plenty of meetings, many of the players became friends, stuff like that. It was a combination of luck and enthusiasm that made it work, though.
Pbem and pbp are not the best mediums for combat and I think that much is pretty clear.

graeylin
2012-07-31, 04:53 PM
I do it by DMing 3 games, and playing in 4 or 5 others. That way, when one or two games take a lull, and two others are slow, I still have something going on in at least two games requiring my posting attention.

Even then, events conspire to have 3 lulls and 2 hiatus, and one game waiting on someone who isn't posting... or, all seven games need my attention NOW.

and some still die, but.. i have been in one game for almost 4 years now, several others for 2 years, some for 1 year, and some for just a month. As a game dies, I look to pick up another.

Togo
2012-07-31, 05:16 PM

Pbp works a lot better when you focus on telling a story instead of playing a game.

This is interesting... I've had a lot more success with character interaction, puzzles, story and plot, than I've had with combat.

Group initiative works well. The players all act together in any order, then their opponents, then all the players again. It means you save some time waiting for someone to log on. Not a huge amount, but every little helps.

TheFallenOne
2012-08-01, 03:08 PM

Nah, you just have to be very selective who to play with. If you're interested in a game, look up the previous PbP history of the DM to see how reliable he was with it. Often enough I saw a game with an interesting set-up and didn't apply because a bit of research told me it's likely to die rather soon. Most of the time I've been right.
Same if you're the DM. You want good roleplayers familiar with the rules, but if they just vanish or drop out after some weeks the best backstory is not worth much. So look how they did in previous games regarding reliability and pace. Know them from a previous game you both were in? All the better.

If there are two reliable and active players(one may be enough as well if he can pull the others along without hogging too much of the spotlight) in the group a game with a dedicated DM it is very very unlikely to die. Would take some major RL issues for that to happen. And I mean real ones; not to call anyone a liar, but the amount of players/DMs who happen to have completely unpredictable complications forcing them to withdraw conveniently a few days into game start is implausibly high.

I keep an actual blacklist for people I'll never play with(or rather did, lost most of it in my last harddrive crash) because I've seen them disappear from active games. Take a close look at the posters, not just the characters they submit or recruiting threads they open, and chances are you'll get into a good and longlasting game.

Doxkid
2012-08-01, 10:37 PM
Play three or four at a time.

Write...Fiction, Poetry, character stories...

Play video games.

Clop.

Eldest
2012-08-01, 11:46 PM
I generally have about 4 games running at a time. My personal trick is that all of my games involve me trying something new. I am playing in one game set in Patria, a setting I have been helping Wyntonian with for roughly a year. He's DMing it, so obviously he won't quit. Same idea with Zap Dynamic and his Blackwoods setting. So make sure the DM is invested in the game helps keep it from failing and you have a better chance of an interesting setting. And having some sort of secret to your character that you plan on having revealed somehow does help keep your interest too.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-02, 07:41 AM
I generally have about 4 games running at a time. My personal trick is that all of my games involve me trying something new. I am playing in one game set in Patria, a setting I have been helping Wyntonian with for roughly a year. He's DMing it, so obviously he won't quit. Same idea with Zap Dynamic and his Blackwoods setting. So make sure the DM is invested in the game helps keep it from failing and you have a better chance of an interesting setting. And having some sort of secret to your character that you plan on having revealed somehow does help keep your interest too.

It doesn't help when cool games get canceled because the DM was banned, though :smalltongue: