PDA

View Full Version : Challenge - Pick me a mount!

Bex0r
2012-07-30, 08:55 PM
Pick a mount for my half-dragon (red) Magus. The coolest one wins a banana sticker!

Prerequisites such as alignment, feats, level, etc. are completely irrelevant. Third-party material welcome.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-30, 08:58 PM
Give me a size and type. I'll see what I can do.

Sheogoroth
2012-07-30, 09:16 PM
Ashworm from Sandstorm(140).

2d6 strength Poison stinger attack, evasive burrow so it won't die from flying spells in the midst of combat.
HUGE carry capacity, 6,900 lb drag.

If you need to escape, you can always polymorph, hide in its stomach, and have it burrow.

Narsis
2012-07-30, 09:20 PM
Ashworm from Sandstorm(140).

2d6 strength Poison stinger attack, evasive burrow so it won't die from flying spells in the midst of combat.
HUGE carry capacity, 6,900 lb drag.

If you need to escape, you can always polymorph, hide in its stomach, and have it burrow.

beat me to it. Ashworm get's my vote.

XQNP
2012-07-30, 09:31 PM
Abyssal Drake (Draconomicon 145). They were originally bred as draconic mounts for demon princes, but proved too difficult to control. 150 ft fly speed, 2d6 con poison stinger, and a 10d6 breath weapon, half fire and half unholy damage. Though, admittedly, it may not be the easiest thing to control. I'd recommend planar binding.

Igneel
2012-07-30, 09:35 PM
I always think about those Razorfeather birds from some MM or another...
Adamantine feathers that it can shoot and are considered keen, can use said feathers for arrows, has a shield-like effect, etc.

White_Drake
2012-07-30, 10:31 PM
For fluff reasons I say Dire Phynxkin; half tiger, half dragon, all deadly.

Invader
2012-07-30, 11:05 PM
The Corpse Terror

400+ hp

Land/Fly/Swim/and Burrow speeds <- The perfect mount :smallbiggrin:

Energy Drain, SLA's, Spells, Crush, tail sweep, and a breath weapon

Blindsight 120ft, DR 30/+3 SR 39 and immune to sleep and paralysis

And the icing on the cake is that its a dragon which should be a perfect mount for a Half Dragon.

gallagher
2012-07-31, 12:07 AM
A Centaur paladin who uses himself as his own special mount so he gets free stat bonuses

deuxhero
2012-07-31, 12:21 AM
A skeleton Nightmare.

Loyal, fearless, obeys your every command, can fly, can planeshift you (funnily enough PF's undead templates don't axe SLAs, as they aren't under any of the categories that are lost but "spell like abilities")

falloutimperial
2012-07-31, 12:29 AM
Anarchic Giant Lizard. The dungeon masters guide supplies the lizard, and anarchic is a cool template from the planar handbook.

The Redwolf
2012-07-31, 12:34 AM
Rust monster, nobody will ever want to fight you, especially if you can enhance it with magic and/or magic items. Alternatively, for sheer awesome factor, something like a grizzly mastodon or battletitan.

Edit: I forgot there's an amulet that allows you to "ride" a gelatinous cube by protecting you with a magic bubble, getting eaten whole, and then directing it from the inside, do that.

Morithias
2012-07-31, 12:59 AM
I always liked the Megaraptor. Nothing like riding a dinosaur.

Gotterdammerung
2012-07-31, 02:30 AM
The Stoneflyer (pg 99 of The Underdark)

Advance it to 10hd (its maximum) then apply any templates you like.

It is trainable and meant to be a mount.

It has a land speed of 50 and a fly speed of 60 and it can use either speed to move/fly through the ground via earth glide.

Best part, it can take you with it along with gear up to a medium load via "earth glide rider" Supernatural ability.

Tremorsense 60
Low-light vision
Dark vision 60

DR 5/bludg
SR 13

Appearance: a winged wolf made out of stone.

P.S. If you have some way to manipulate creatures a good template to throw on it would be Tauric. If you can't manipulate creatures then it might get hard to convince tauric creatures to carry you.

You can use Stoneflyer as the base creature and Gloom (epic lvl handbook) as the base humanoid.

It will end up being a 35 hit dice monster with wicked abilities but only a CR 6!

13d6 sneak as rogue
Oppurtunist ability as rogue
Fear Gaze
Blind sight 60 ft
Quintessence (+20 racial move silently bonus)
SR 35
DR 25/+6
Shadowwalk at will
True strike at will

and a few more goodies all for a CR 6.

killianh
2012-07-31, 05:41 AM
I always liked the Megaraptor. Nothing like riding a dinosaur.

Battletitan all the way in my eyes, or maybe a chronotyryn

Killer Angel
2012-07-31, 05:52 AM
Rust monster Adamantine Horror, nobody will ever want to fight you,

Fixed. Here you are!

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-07-31, 07:38 AM
Another party member, preferably the tank.

Hyde
2012-07-31, 07:54 AM
Goblin powered war-palanquin.

As a half-dragon, intimidating the goblins into service should be rather easy.

If you're looking for something less ridiculous- you might could see about getting a retriever.

Wait, wait, no.

The Terrasque.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-07-31, 08:55 AM
Elder evils has one of the NPCs riding a mount called Skyshadow, I can't remember what creature it's based on but it's essentially a demon-powered hoverbike.

Edit, here's the picture http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ElderEvils_Gallery/111152.jpg

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-31, 10:20 AM
A young adult Obsidian Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030124b). Always fun to ride a dragon, and he's got all the movement types that matter. Maybe get it some deepdweller barding or something so it can breath underwater.

Andvare
2012-07-31, 10:43 AM
Bah, enslave yourself a highlevel Master of Many Forms druid, and have him (or her, if that is more inline with your "preferences") be whatever you want.
Some people might say you are leaning a teenzy bit towards evil, but I think the Gods will ignore this one transgression, it is, after all, just a druid.

Vizzerdrix
2012-07-31, 10:57 AM
Dwarven Battle Golem! The closest thing to power armor I've ever seen.

Or how about anything from Dragonmech? Like one of the walking cities?

Uhtred
2012-07-31, 01:58 PM
The fearsome Guiffon! Head of a penguin, wings of an eagle, body of a lion. It has a fly speed AND a high swim speed in addition to sounding as though you have an adorable speech impediment every time you talk about him!

togapika
2012-07-31, 03:13 PM
Frost lizard from the MM2 I think.

That_guy_there
2012-07-31, 04:33 PM
Pick a mount for my half-dragon (red) Magus. The coolest one wins a banana sticker!

Prerequisites such as alignment, feats, level, etc. are completely irrelevant. Third-party material welcome.

Obviously the everyone missed the fact that the OP has removed restrictions.... so OBVIOUSLY your half dragon's mount needs to be a half dragon itself... a Half Dragon (red) Tarrasque!

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-31, 09:11 PM
Alright, that's it. Pulling out all the stops now. Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4540.0). Stack even more templates to taste. Toss phrenic and half-fey on there for some good abilities. Ignore even making it an effigy. Just have a beast templated to high heaven. I'd recommend starting with something good by itself, maybe a dragon. For the best wisdom, animals seem like the best choice.

Invader
2012-07-31, 09:24 PM
Obviously the everyone missed the fact that the OP has removed restrictions.... so OBVIOUSLY your half dragon's mount needs to be a half dragon itself... a Half Dragon (red) Tarrasque!

Not everyone missed the fact and why a half dragon, go for a full dragon and the Tarrasque is overrated, can't fly, can't swim, can't burrow, plus since there's only one, as soon as everyone knows its out walking around scores of adventurers are going to come trying to kill it lol.

Hyde
2012-07-31, 09:54 PM
GUYSGUYSGUYSGUYSGUYSGUYS

The Gazebo.

deuxhero
2012-07-31, 10:14 PM
GUYSGUYSGUYSGUYSGUYSGUYS

The Gazebo.

No! Even better!

The darkness!

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-07-31, 11:56 PM
How about this?
http://www.imageenvision.com/150/12538-stick-horse-toy-clipart-by-djart.jpg
A stick ridig horse.

Campbellk8105
2012-08-01, 01:16 AM
How about this?
http://www.imageenvision.com/150/12538-stick-horse-toy-clipart-by-djart.jpg
A stick ridig horse.

I am going to strongly second this. Solely for the fact that you can enchant the holy hell out of it, and also, it made me laugh the most.

killianh
2012-08-01, 02:01 AM
I am going to strongly second this. Solely for the fact that you can enchant the holy hell out of it, and also, it made me laugh the most.

second! This is how to ride in style :smallcool: haters gonna hate

Hyde
2012-08-01, 09:24 AM
I like the stick horse. make it a cosmetic variant of the flying broom for giggles.

Make it so much more for awesome fun times.

I still like my Gazebo. I was gonna give it spider legs and turrets and evil.

Also, I just solved the problem of my games boring me.