PDA

View Full Version : A City in Pieces: Outer Region [IC]

thedarkstone
2012-07-30, 09:33 PM
The magnificent city of Perios, also known as The Shining City, is often called the Gem of the West. You know that's a load of horse dung. The rich get richer, in their shining city of white marble and gold, while the common folk in the suburbs and the slums just die, sometimes having children first. It's a hard life, but it's the only one you've got.

Or, for some of you that's true. Some of you have only recently arrived, and have not yet seen the city for the truth of what it is...

The city itself is split into three regions by the common folk, and five districts by the more learned people nearer the center of the city. The three regions are the Inner Region, the Outer Region, and the Upper Region, whereas the five districts are the Temple District, the Central District, the Castle District, the Guard District, and the Suburban District. They are also commonly numbered; Castle District is also First District, the Guard District is also Second District, the Temple District is also Third District, the Central District is also Fourth District, and the Suburban District is also called Fifth District. It's sometimes held by the members of the suburbs that there is an undercity, which they call Sixth District, but that is all heresay and myth.

In the very heart of the city lies the Temple District. Here, the paladins and clerics of Heironeous and other goodly gods live and spend most of their days, excepting when on call to various parts of the city, or on patrol in the Central District. The largest temple is, by far, the Temple of Heironeous. This structure dominates the entire city, and can be seen from any point in the city. It is often used as a locator, to identify how far from the center you are. The Temple of Heironeous in Perios is also the home of the more militant wing of the Priesthood of Heironeous, known as the "Order of the Shining Sword". There are not a large amount of members of this Order, but the numbers are rising slowly.

The Central District is home to both the well-off noblemen of the city as well as a myriad of stores, owned by the rich and operated by the middle class. This is the most prosperous region of the city, and everything is orderly and good along its streets. The guardsmen of the city patrol the streets to ensure that all remains orderly.

Up above the city, cradled atop a waterfall, lies Castle Perios. The royal family Perios lives within the castle, sheltered atop their waterfall, and protected on either side by the barracks of the town guard. These barracks comprise the Guard District, while the castle itself comprises the Castle District.

The Suburban District is one not walked by the guard any longer, excepting the three main roads in the region, nor by any who can help it. This is left to the seedier aspects of society, and they run it as they will. They tend not to be too violent or chaotic, but they don't shy away from leaving a corpse in the sewers, or just lying in a ditch.

Those of you who grew up in the slums of the city, the swordsage and the rogue, you both know exactly how terrible the injustice of this city it. One, the swordsage, became twisted because of it, mentally changed. The other, the rogue, became a part of it, a part of the law of the slums. The Guild of Thieves.

Some arrived separately. An orc who has discovered the art of wizardry, and an elf of the trees, a ranger who still sees his homeland when he trances. Out of coincidence, both choose the same inn to lay their head in. Little do they know how their paths will cross.

Some of you arrived in a group. Three individuals in a group, a warforged, a changeling, and a halfling. The three approached a gate. This was the last step. The gate opened before them, revealing buildings of black iron and grey stone. All that remained now was to step forward and affirm their destiny.

I'll edit Harnel in if he gets back to me on the status of his character.

The rest of you, have fun! I'll be setting up the meeting of the group in the next few posts. This is just to get all of you used to my posting method, and for me to become used to you all. Think of it as a tutorial.

AgentIndy
2012-07-30, 09:44 PM
Sentry stepped into the city, not heeding any danger that could happen when walking into a slum,"This unit has not seen such a concentration of sentient life in a long time..." Sunlight reflected off his mithril armor, and his sword and shield magnetized to his back. His face was fairly blank, with two black lens serving as eyes. A small hinge served make the bottom tenth of his face into a jaw.

packersfan
2012-07-30, 10:26 PM
Allimar is off behind the bar, having a shooting contest with some of the local hunters. Laughing, drinking, and having fun.

OMG PONIES
2012-07-31, 07:37 AM
Luci Talbot

Luci stands in silence for a moment at the city gates, closing her eyes and letting the sounds and smells of the city wash over her. The guards' chainmail jingles in a steady cadence as they march in unison. Two merchants are haggling back and forth in thick dialects, a call-and-response between two glamorous peacocks. The perfumery and apothecary on the corner emanates the aroma of every flower, fruit, and chemical known to man, but none of it can cover up the distinct aroma left in the streets by the passing horses. One thing was for sure: Luci was at home in the city--or at least the closest she had ever come to a home. The constant movement and chaos reminded her of life under the Big Top, whereas the presence of mud and waste beneath her feet was nothing new after spending many evenings in the elephant pen.

She turns to Sentry and laughs, finally opening her eyes to reveal their natural hue of pale lavender. "Don't let it override your circuits, pal," she says. "This is the closest thing most folk have to a forge--you're either made or broken in the city. And us? We intend to get made. There's talk of some work in the Shining City that could pay big, and we should start out at The Copper Spoon to see if there's any truth to those rumors. Loose lips might sink ships, but they can also point the way to payday. Let's go, boys!"

The changeling heads off in the direction of the nearest pub as if she knows exactly where to go. As she skips ahead of the boys (and machines), she begins to change. Her flat gray skin becomes a dark olive, and her opalescent hair darkens. The last thing to go are the flecks of different colors that dance throughout her locks as her hair finally settles on the darkest brown she can muster. When she turns back, her button nose has grown to a fine point and her once-purple eyes are now a rich hazel. "Well," she chides in a voice not her own, "what are we waiting for?"

[roll0] to remember the name of the best inn nearby (hopefully the one the rest of the party is staying at)...hope it's okay that I made up a name. Also, I'd like any information I can glean from that about the supposed Sixth District. I'll be Gathering Info once we're at the inn, but want to make sure Luci would even know the rumor.

Tantaburs
2012-07-31, 12:13 PM
Kara

It has been a fairly dull day for Kara. There are no current availible contracts so she had spent most of the day skulking around the Lower City. She almost wished someone would try to mug her just for some excitement. She considered a trip up to the Inner regions to see if there was something worth stealing but that was a risky endevour. She decided to spend the rest of the day at the local tavern maybe somethere would want someone dead bad enough to pay her fee and worst case senario she could always start a bar fight. Assuming her standard disguise of a lower class women she headed to the tavern

Disguise check was 14. It got screwed up when i edited out typos

AgentIndy
2012-07-31, 01:53 PM
Sentry tilts his head in a manner to show that he is confused,"But Luci, I was already made in a Forge, why do I need to be reconstructed?"

When Luci turns back around, and shows her new appearance, Sentry seems most befuddled,"Umm, ma'am, have you seen a woman with gray skin? Last seen about exactly where you are standing?"

Matt Helm
2012-07-31, 03:14 PM
Kade stood with his arms crossed, a poorly affected smile written on his face. He gazed at Luci's changing form and was once again reminded of how badly he wanted to bury his rapier between her shoulder blades. He fantasized about her expression as his steel bit through her flesh, the inevitable cry of pain and then the sweet silence that would follow.

Few people could inspire as much hate in him as the woman he now called a "companion". It was more than just that fact that she beat him to the treasure that Sentry was guarding, it was the pretentious way she acted and the nonchalance with which she carried herself. All of it infuriated him.

But now was not the time to exact his vengeance. After. He told himself. After she has made good on her promise of a job. Then, and only then, can you kill her. He would just have to be patient and abide her until then.

"Sentry," He hissed. "That is Luci, she's simply making use of a trick to confuse you. Watch, she is not the only one who has access to such magic."

Kade checked to make sure no one was looking, he adjusted his Hat of Disguise and then concentrated on a form. The Halfling's whole body began to shudder as his person reshaped itself. In a matter of seconds the Halfling had grown a foot and was replaced by a commonplace Dwarf, beard and all.

"Now." He boomed in a voice like thunder. "Let us follow our good friend." With that, he began to waddle after Luci.

Aldhissla
2012-07-31, 04:34 PM
"Mmmgh... Pushdug bagronk."

'Stinking dung-pit,' as Ag'khash so eloquently refers to the inn around him in his native tongue as he idly takes stock of his gear- book, weapon, and other effects are all right where he left them not long ago. And it is entirely likely that he will check himself over yet again while he stays in this 'dung-pit.' It is not that anything in particular offended his senses about the place, but simply a matter of not being able to think of anything better to say about it at the moment.

He remains seated at one of the tables on the ground level- not too close that he would be in the thick of things at an annoying or inopportune moment, yet not too far away that he stuck out like the sore thumb of a lone wolf. Because drawing further attention would be bad, not because wolves don't have any thumbs.

Though that is true as well, he muses for a moment.

For truth be told, he had not had the most enjoyable time getting into the city. What few guards were stationed upon one of the main roads leading through the suburbs to the Outer City saw fit to stop the menacing orc with an enormous flail at his side every hundred feet or so, for whatever possible reason.

And now he sits hunched, attempting to end the day on a better note with a cheap mug which he still nurses in both hands. Though he constantly attempts to mentally divorce himself from home when dealing with foreign matters, the sheer amount of activity and energy in establishments such as this rubs him the wrong way in comparison to the dour drink-pits of home. Realizing that he did not miss those gatherings nor their lack of balance between sullenness and abrupt violence, his mood lightens somewhat and the orc sits upright.

AgentIndy
2012-07-31, 09:11 PM
"Uhh, so you both can switch swap your appearances? Maybe there will be a Warforged who can do that some day.Still, how am I going to tell you apart from the hundreds of other organics in this city?"Sentry looked at Kade with a concerned look, he really didn't want to lose his companion in the crowd,"Can you promise to find me if we get separated?"

Tantaburs
2012-07-31, 09:40 PM
Kara

The Copper Spoon. If there was ever a place to find a contract this was it. Full of impetuous drunkards who could easily be manipulated and the bartender always seemed to know what was going on in the slums.

Kara walks up to the bartender and orders a drink.

A glass of your finest wine

Kara grabbed her wine and took a seat in the corner. The wine tasted like vinegar but she wasn't here to drink. She learned long ago that you draw attention to yourself in a tavern without a drink. she looked around the tavern fo anyone who looked out of place

Spot Check
[roll0]

OMG PONIES
2012-07-31, 09:52 PM
Luci Talbot

The changeling giggles as Sentry takes her words literally. "There are multiple meanings to being 'made,' Sentry. This particular one is not about creation, but about making every wish come true with liberal application of all the money we'll make." She sighs with faux exasperation as the warforged begins questioning her like an ordinary citizen and responds patiently: "It's me, Sentry; we've been over this before. Changing is what I do, just like guarding is what you do. Always remember to look for the mole beneath the right eye, and you'll know it's me." She contemplates calling the machine a silly goose for a quick moment, but shakes her head with a laugh as she anticipates his questions about avian transmogrification.

A shiver goes up Luci's spine at Kade's words, his hatred for her barely concealed between his words. She knows that he still has in mind to repay her for the temple gig that eventually brought them together, and in the back of her mind a gear is always turning, trying to keep a step ahead as she charts out the possibilities. She didn't know how her game with the halfling will end, but she's stacking the deck at every chance she gets to ensure that she is holding all the right cards.

"There are more uses for my craft than confusion," she says to the little man as he undergoes a transformation of his own. The dark-skinned woman's voice comes from the back of her throat as she takes on the dialect of traditional Dwarven and muses, "It's one thing to look the part, but another to play it with style, ya?" With a wry smirk, she leads onward to the Copper Spoon. As they walk, she responds to the Warforged in her normal, lilting Common. "Yes, someday they might make a transforming machine," she muses, "it would certainly be more than meets the eye. And yes, I promise to find you if we get separated. I owe you both far more than that."

Sense Motive DC 28 to open:
Luci has no plans to remain with this group--quite the opposite, she has been looking for opportunities to lose them since they met. However, between the disarming naivete of the warforged and the rogue's keen sense of perception, she hadn't been given a decent opportunity. Sometimes she seems more ready to stay than others; if they found her once, they may be able to find her again.

Rolls:
Luci takes 10 on Bluff thanks to Social Intuition for a result of 28.

AgentIndy
2012-08-01, 12:45 AM
"Okay, you change sometimes. I will record this..." Sentry's eyes focused in on her face,"A mole;small burrowing mammal....Adding New Definition, facial feature worn by Luci Talbot."

"Thank you for your promise, I am feeling positive emotional feedback from having friends like you and Kade."

Matt Helm
2012-08-01, 03:53 PM
Kade returned Luci's smile as best he could.

"...I am feeling positive emotional feedback from having friends like you and Kade." Kade Thornhill cursed under his breath. The warforged's feeling towards Luci were becoming a problem. A month ago Sentry had been more than willing to gut Luci, but now he was viewing her like a friend, which could be highly problematic. Even though Kade was fairly certain he'd be able to best Luci in a confrontation, it couldn't hurt having Sentry on his side. He would just have to subtly remind Sentry that Luci was directly responsible for the destruction of his brothers and the plundering of the crypt he was guarding.

"Of course I will find you Sentry. That goes without saying.

"Now that we have that sorted out, shall we be of? I believe you said something about the Copper Spoon Luci?"

OMG PONIES
2012-08-01, 07:58 PM
Luci Talbot

The changeling clears her throat and darts her eyes toward her forehead, encouraging her companions to look up. When they do, they find a deep maple sign bearing elegant calligraphy and a gleaming copper spoon; this was clearly the place they were looking for.

Luci saunters in as if she were a regular, half to blend into the crowd and half because she knows it infuriates Kade. "Evening, Henri," she says to the barman. "Two pints of ale and..." she studies Sentry quizzically for a moment before adding, "whatever he's having."

She takes an empty seat, not so close to anyone as to rouse suspicion, but not so far removed as to draw attention. As she sips her ale, she listens once more. Instead of the sounds of the city, she immerses herself in the chatter of the bar--who was seen cavorting with whom, the latest unpopular policy of the mayor, complaints about various aches and pains. She chimes into conversations when asked her opinion, but all the while she is listening for anyone with a problem and the coin purse to solve it. In an attempt to loosen the strings, she buys an odd drink here and there for those who engage her in conversation. As the others watch, they realize that Luci is at once likable and forgettable, inquisitive but never prying, helpful but never cloying--a true master of her craft.

[roll0]

AgentIndy
2012-08-01, 09:03 PM
Sentry nods as he hears Kade make his promise, content to have these two people looking out for him.

Sentry looks at Henri,the bartender, and says,"Do you have pure alcohol, or maybe moonshine 160 proof?"

Aldhissla
2012-08-01, 09:55 PM
The orc swallows the last of his drink and peers down at the bottom of the mug for a long moment as he licks his lips of the cheap pale ale. He could certainly handle more, but it never was his preference to go far beyond a slight warmth in his limbs from drinking. So he merely sits back in his chair- gently enough to keep it from creaking too much under his weight and the weight of his things- and looked around the room for a long moment. His eyes roam from one end of the peripheral of his vision to the other as his hand strays to the book in his lap again. He gives it a reassuring tap on the fresh, new cover, as if to remind himself of getting around to something, before grumbling to himself.

"How does anyone get anything accomplished in here... Bugduurz moguuk..."

'Everyone is so loud,' he reminds himself of the proper Common words, a rough equivalent at least. Though he had trained himself extensively in other languages as of late, he always feels most comfortable thinking in Orc. He reasons that it might lose a certain part of his mind by becoming too accustomed to the 'softer' words of others. But his cool, detached exterior immediately breaks, if for a moment, as he lays eyes upon a seemingly metal man. He had of course heard bits and pieces of lore about golems, but nothing of metal and certainly nothing so manlike, or so he recalls now. He leans in, focusing on the one called Sentry very curiously.

((Would a Knowledge[Arcana] check be acceptable for finding out more about Warforged?))
[roll0]

thedarkstone
2012-08-01, 10:06 PM
Kara

The Copper Spoon. If there was ever a place to find a contract this was it. Full of impetuous drunkards who could easily be manipulated and the bartender always seemed to know what was going on in the slums.

Kara walks up to the bartender and orders a drink.

A glass of your finest wine

Kara grabbed her wine and took a seat in the corner. The wine tasted like vinegar but she wasn't here to drink. She learned long ago that you draw attention to yourself in a tavern without a drink. she looked around the tavern fo anyone who looked out of place

Spot Check
[roll0]

You don't immediately notice someone, but after a little while, a small group walks in, and they are very out of place. One of them seems entirely mechanical, if that is even possible.

Luci Talbot

The changeling clears her throat and darts her eyes toward her forehead, encouraging her companions to look up. When they do, they find a deep maple sign bearing elegant calligraphy and a gleaming copper spoon; this was clearly the place they were looking for.

Luci saunters in as if she were a regular, half to blend into the crowd and half because she knows it infuriates Kade. "Evening, Henri," she says to the barman. "Two pints of ale and..." she studies Sentry quizzically for a moment before adding, "whatever he's having."

She takes an empty seat, not so close to anyone as to rouse suspicion, but not so far removed as to draw attention. As she sips her ale, she listens once more. Instead of the sounds of the city, she immerses herself in the chatter of the bar--who was seen cavorting with whom, the latest unpopular policy of the mayor, complaints about various aches and pains. She chimes into conversations when asked her opinion, but all the while she is listening for anyone with a problem and the coin purse to solve it. In an attempt to loosen the strings, she buys an odd drink here and there for those who engage her in conversation. As the others watch, they realize that Luci is at once likable and forgettable, inquisitive but never prying, helpful but never cloying--a true master of her craft.

[roll0]

Henri gives you the ale and then turns to Sentry. Quickly, you are forgotten.

Sentry nods as he hears Kade make his promise, content to have these two people looking out for him.

Sentry looks at Henri,the bartender, and says,"Do you have pure alcohol, or maybe moonshine 160 proof?"

Henri laughs. "Sure do. I've got some of the most pure stuff you'll find anywhere." The man pours a glass and says, "That'll be three gold."

The orc swallows the last of his drink and peers down at the bottom of the mug for a long moment as he licks his lips of the cheap pale ale. He could certainly handle more, but it never was his preference to go far beyond a slight warmth in his limbs from drinking. So he merely sits back in his chair- gently enough to keep it from creaking too much under his weight and the weight of his things- and looked around the room for a long moment. His eyes roam from one end of the peripheral of his vision to the other as his hand strays to the book in his lap again. He gives it a reassuring tap on the fresh, new cover, as if to remind himself of getting around to something, before grumbling to himself.

"How does anyone get anything accomplished in here... Bugduurz moguuk..."

'Everyone is so loud,' he reminds himself of the proper Common words, a rough equivalent at least. Though he had trained himself extensively in other languages as of late, he always feels most comfortable thinking in Orc. He reasons that it might lose a certain part of his mind by becoming too accustomed to the 'softer' words of others. But his cool, detached exterior immediately breaks, if for a moment, as he lays eyes upon a seemingly metal man. He had of course heard bits and pieces of lore about golems, but nothing of metal and certainly nothing so manlike, or so he recalls now. He leans in, focusing on the one called Sentry very curiously.

((Would a Knowledge[Arcana] check be acceptable for finding out more about Warforged?))
[roll0]

You can't recall much, but you remember hearsay of mechanical beings, animated by magical energy, or, some say, the souls of the dead.

AgentIndy
2012-08-01, 10:32 PM
Sentry looks in his pouch,"I hope this will cover it," he puts down three gold pieces, though at least one of them is a currency that no longer exists due to that kingdom falling a long time ago.

Matt Helm
2012-08-02, 12:55 PM
Kade, still disguised as a Dwarf, took the ale from the barkeep. He raised the brew to his nose and sniffed before drinking. It was cheap beer, but it slaked his thirst. If there was one good thing about traveling with Luci, it was that she always paid for the food and drink. That and the promise of a job were the only redeeming qualities about her.

He gave a hearty laugh when he heard Sentry's order. "Now tha's a man's drink!" He bellowed.

Kade took another drink of his ale and followed Luci to a table. She was fast at work plunging herself into other people's conversations so he decided to recline and observe the tavern's inhabitants.

OOC: Kade can speak Common, Halfling, Dwarven, Elven and Gnomish.
Listen Check to Eavesdrop.
[roll0]

Spot Check to read the lips of those out of earshot.
[roll1]

Tantaburs
2012-08-03, 01:28 PM
Kara

Interesting. A man made entirely of metal... and his travelling companion. Kara had never seen her before but she acts as if she lives here. It might be worth the risk to get closer for observation.

Kara stands from her seat in the corner and moves closer to the new entrantants. She moves in such a way that the eye doesn't seem to stay on her.

Move towards the new group at half speed while assuming the Child of Shadows stance.

Hide Check: roll system doesn't seem to me working probably because I messed it up and tried to edit it in. Rolled a d20 got a hide result of 16+10 for 26

Aldhissla
2012-08-03, 04:06 PM
"Bah, I've got nothing... I need to look into what this city has to offer soon. I know something interesting when I see it, though. Well, I was going up there to order something to wash this rancid bubble water down, anyway..."

The orc grumbles to himself and shrugs as he rises up from his seat slowly, mug handle in fist. He tucks his book into his backpack for the moment and carries everything with him rather than risk leaving it at his table- something a bit easy to notice, and adding to his already easily-noticed appearance. He shuffles on up to the bar and simply waits to be turned to as he drums his fingertips upon the bartop. He does not attempt to get a discreet look at anyone just yet.

HunterColt22
2012-08-03, 09:22 PM
Shade peers down into the alley of the slums, his home, his cradle. Nothing changes, the powerful live on in their golden homes, while the weak wander in silence. On assignment for the guild, Shade decides it's time to find these new aspects that have wandered into his section as partitioned by the guild, who knows, they may carry the information he yearns to find.

AgentIndy
2012-08-03, 09:40 PM
Sentry gulps down his probably-lethal-to-organics drink. It enters his system, as it is burned in his inner furnace. He slams the mug down on the counter, leaving an imprint,"Give me another!"

HunterColt22
2012-08-03, 11:21 PM
Shade begins his work by asking the most knowledgeable people in this city about new occupants, the homeless, they are its ears, and know a quick way to play the fiddle of one's heart if the target should present it self.

Gather information about new blood and the city, in particular, anyone odd that has recently been in the lower districts.[roll0]

"Now, lets see what work brings us tonight, and if the guild has any more promising issues than guard duty this evening."

thedarkstone
2012-08-06, 05:35 PM
Kara

Interesting. A man made entirely of metal... and his travelling companion. Kara had never seen her before but she acts as if she lives here. It might be worth the risk to get closer for observation.

Kara stands from her seat in the corner and moves closer to the new entrantants. She moves in such a way that the eye doesn't seem to stay on her.

Move towards the new group at half speed while assuming the Child of Shadows stance.

Hide Check: roll system doesn't seem to me working probably because I messed it up and tried to edit it in. Rolled a d20 got a hide result of 16+10 for 26

If it does that again, just reroll in the OOC spoilered. It'll be fine that way. However, that exceeds any passive checks the others might be doing. You successfully remain unseen.

Sentry gulps down his probably-lethal-to-organics drink. It enters his system, as it is burned in his inner furnace. He slams the mug down on the counter, leaving an imprint,"Give me another!"

The barkeep, still looking at the odd coin, sighed. "Sure, get me the gold, and I'll give you the drink. Just be careful with my counter, would ya?"

Shade begins his work by asking the most knowledgeable people in this city about new occupants, the homeless, they are its ears, and know a quick way to play the fiddle of one's heart if the target should present it self.

Gather information about new blood and the city, in particular, anyone odd that has recently been in the lower districts.[roll0]

"Now, lets see what work brings us tonight, and if the guild has any more promising issues than guard duty this evening."

One of the beggars you ask looked around, then whispered, "I heard, up at the Copper Spoon, there's an orc. And an elf. Willingly staying in the same tavern." She shook her head. That was something uncommon on its own. "And, to top it off, recently a changeling girl and her two companions headed that way; and one of them was mechanical. Odd things are going on, there."

Aldhissla
2012-08-06, 05:41 PM
Casting his gaze further down the bar toward the other stand-outish patrons of the inn for a brief moment, the orc sets his mug down upon the bartop and coughs into a fist gently before continuing to drum his heavy fingertips against the wood. He continues to glance toward the group with the automaton- probably not very discreetly- as he waits. He finally raises his voice with his request as he looks toward Henri.

"Mmgh... Can I, get some water to wash this down? And perhaps some directions out of this place."

He sets in front of the empty, sudsy mug and beneath his drumming fingers, five gold pieces.

thedarkstone
2012-08-06, 05:46 PM
Casting his gaze further down the bar toward the other stand-outish patrons of the inn for a brief moment, the orc sets his mug down upon the bartop and coughs into a fist gently before continuing to drum his heavy fingertips against the wood. He continues to glance toward the group with the automaton- probably not very discreetly- as he waits. He finally raises his voice with his request as he looks toward Henri.

"Mmgh... Can I, get some water to wash this down? And perhaps some directions out of this place."

He sets in front of the empty, sudsy mug and beneath his drumming fingers, five gold pieces.

Henri looked over at the orc. "Oh, yeah, sure." He grabbed the empty mug and walked off. A few moments later, the man came beack with a mug filled with water. "And you wanted directions, you said? Where to?"

Aldhissla
2012-08-06, 07:23 PM
"Good man."

The orc grunts as he accepts the mug by the handle again and downs a fair amount of the water, puffing his cheeks out and swilling it about in his mouth obliviously for a moment before finally swallowing and clearing his throat to speak.

"I am looking to, uh... Gimbat amal... To find a place of books in this city. Of lore, or magic. I have gone on long enough without one, even if they house withered men of grey. Where might I find that in this city?"

He nods once quickly as he finishes his inquiry, as if that would benefit its intelligibility at all.

HunterColt22
2012-08-06, 07:56 PM
"An Elf and Orc within the same area, and not killing each other... Strange indeed, I don't like it at all. A changeling as well, I wonder... And an automaton... Odd, something closer to home, yet still, I am worried."

Shade departs the beggar, wrapping his cloak more tightly around himself, to fend off the cold? Doubtful, he simply wishes to remain as plain as possible and thus the deception of a hard worker coming from the slums suits him well, before he departs however, he gives the beggar four gold coins.

"Your help is greatly appreciated Sarah, just don't get carried away, I expect to see you with a pair of shoes next time I come around, and a coat, winter is coming soon, and you know how the cold affects you."

As he rounds the corner Shade quickly blends into the shadows, and makes his way to the Copper Spoon. Though a normal hang out for most, he rather dislikes the place, to rowdy, and often people are rather loose lipped with their secrets, great for business, but annoying to listen to when it's about their mother's rutting planters warts.

[roll0] Hide check to go to and enter the Copper Spoon relatively unnoticed.
[roll1] Move Silently check to not crash or disturb anyone on his way there or into the establishment.

This is going to be one interesting field trip Shade thinks, either I am walking into a fight with a dead Orc, or a half eaten Elf... I wonder also if the messenger has any news from the guild for me... He is late this week... I don't like this day at all.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-06, 08:09 PM
Luci Talbot

The changeling woman gathers the usual rumors, but nothing useful. If anyone in this city knew about the Sixth District and the high-paying jobs they offered, they weren't in this tavern. She returns to her own group, laughing politely at the slurred punchlines of some of the patrons who were far too drunk to be telling jokes. A chill creeps up the conwoman's spine; she had long ago developed a sense of when she was being watched.

Luci sidles up to the bar, accidentally jostling an intimidating-looking orc who is sitting at the bar with what looks like all of his worldly possessions. "Sorry, sir," she apologizes in a saccharine voice, "I meant no bother; allow me to pay for your drink to make up for the annoyance?" She listens to the man struggling not to speak in his native tongue, and it is clear to her that he is an outsider like her. She combs her mind to think of where the nearest library might be.

[roll0]

"The directions depend on what you seek," Luci says with a smile. "Oh gods, that sounded more cryptic than intended. If you're after religious texts or histories, you'll probably find them within the temples of the Third District. Your major gods are in the Inner Temple District, whereas the lesser-knowns, demigods, and local folk religions will be in the Outer Temple District. If you're just looking for a mage's private collection, stick to the Inner Central District. You'll part with your gold, but they've got all the rare goods there. Hope you find what you're looking for, Mister...?" Luci pauses, making it clear that she's expecting the orc to share his name (even though she has yet to give her own).

Aldhissla
2012-08-06, 10:09 PM
Ag'khash looks over the brim of his mug at the bartender for a short moment before being bumped. The orc shifts slightly as he is jostled, a bit of his water sloshing out of the side of his mug and onto his arm, but nothing beyond that. With confusion more than any other feeling, he looks down at the shorter woman and furrows his brow as he looks her over, eyes lingering on the mole for a long moment. He blinks once, twice, and then three times as he finds himself suddenly listening to quick instructions from her and attempting to retain all of it. Fortunately, with the jewel of the information at the end of her statement, he catches it and nods his head curtly and with one brow as high as the other is knitted.

"Uhm... Ag'."

He mutters, figuring it safe enough to give the first, rather unindicative syllable of his name. He gives his own pause as he looks to her expectantly, while simultaneously remembering how to address a woman in Common.

"Thank you. Miss...?"

OMG PONIES
2012-08-07, 12:32 PM
Luci Talbot

The changeling woman laughs, her true and malleable form for the moment concealed by her disguise. "Oh, you're welcome," she says without providing her name. She pays Henri for the orc's water, as in a town like this clean water comes at a premium. She twirls gently to return to her group, and makes contact with the orc once more. However, this time it is not an accidental bump, but an intentional hand placed on his shoulder. "Alexa Mentirosa," she whispers in his ear so no others can hear, "a visitor here much like yourself. See me and mine to discuss rates if you require protection during your travels, what with the killer roaming the streets of the Inner Central District. They try to keep it hush around here, as it besmirches the city's 'Shining' moniker, but you shouldn't go it alone. Quite unsafe, savvy?"

With her pitch made, she saunters away to rejoin her group, hoping to hold the orc's eye as she goes. Hopefully he would nibble on the line she had dangled before him, and it would be one step closer to payday. If not...well, one step closer all the same. She smiles coyly and pats the orc's changepurse, tucked securely in her garments.

Not only is her name not Alexa Mentirosa, but she also seems to be fabricating the story of a killer on the loose.

Spot DC 14 to open:
The changeling woman is attempting to lift Ag'khash's changepurse from his person. If caught, she will attest that she saw it falling to the floor and caught it in the nick of time.

She's lying; the purse was secured on the orc's person, and she was clearly attempting to snatch it.

Rolls:
Taking 10 on Bluff for a result of 28 (all instances)
[roll0] to steal the orc's changepurse

Aldhissla
2012-08-07, 05:15 PM
"A killer roaming the streets? Is human society so inept and disconnected, that a single killer would be able to live past their first night in this city? Do his brothers and sons not hunt him down like a dog? Is he free to leave his women and his whelps behind so easily? Skai! Pushdug sharaz..."

He pauses for a long moment after his brief tirade, as if he is about to speak up about or take notice of something, then shakes the thought off, and his head quickly.

"Thank you, but I should be able to deal with a lone madman, if he ever even attempts to corner a fullly-grown orc in the night. Let me call on you once I've got enough to merit needing protecting. Otherwise, I think I can take care of myself so long as I keep to myself..."

Irony and technical truth lost on him for the moment, the orc nods his head to "Miss Mentirosa" once more hastily, paying her no more mind than he needs to. And then, he looks back to his mug to take another long drink from it, gargling once this time.

AgentIndy
2012-08-07, 10:06 PM
Sentry looks at Henri,"Understood barkeep." He pays for his drink, and empties it into his jaw piece.

Sentry gets up and starts looking for Luci, due to his binge distracting him from his group, he starts looking about the bar. It's clear that he was looking for someone, as he kept asking patrons if they've seen a woman with a mole under their eye. He made sure to clarify that the mole he was talking about wan't an animal.

packersfan
2012-08-07, 10:53 PM
Allimar returns from the shooting contest behimd the bar. he is followed by his his loyal companion Void, a black wolf. Allimar goes to a bar and orders a meal and mead for himself and a hunk of meat for the wolf. He then goes to one of the corner tables and eats his meal. activily listening for any talk of a possible job offer.

Tantaburs
2012-08-08, 03:27 AM
Kara

Glancing across the bar kara notices a woman pick pocketing an orcs coinpurse.

This could be an interesting end to the day. I've never known an orc to take a slight like this lightly.

Hey orc she's taking your purse

Take a 10 on spot total of 19

Aldhissla
2012-08-08, 12:25 PM
In the middle of his water-quaffing, the orc sputters and coughs it back up into the mug. He brushes an arm across his lips and chin and turns around abruptly in confusion. One hand strays down to his flail as he looks for the speaker and knits his eyebrows deeply. His hand strays down past his flail to the spot on his gear where he had set his coin pouch, and he scowls gravely as he finds that he is grasping empty air. Whether he is able to spot it on the woman immediately or not, he shouts toward her accusatively.

I think the situation would allow for him to Try Again at the spot check?
[roll0]

"Mal...?! Hey!"

OMG PONIES
2012-08-08, 02:23 PM
Luci Talbot

The changeling woman burns inwardly. However, she doesn't show it, trained professional that she is. Luci subtly shifts the hue of her skin to conceal her blushing and contracts her cheekbones to force herself to smile instead of scowl. "Terribly sorry, Ag'," she says without missing a beat, "but I noticed that you dropped this and thought it best to pick it up quietly and return it to you without drawing attention to it." Her eyes dart across the bar at the loose-lipped stranger and shoot daggers for the briefest of moments, though she never breaks her beaming smile. "Apparently no good deed goes unpunished. Just remember, I have your back now...and could continue having it," she adds with a wink.

Yeah, she was totally trying to steal it.

Aldhissla
2012-08-08, 10:05 PM
For the longest moment the orc stares at the woman, his coin pouch quickly seized in one hand and a stony look on his furrowed and creased and scowling face like he's suddenly become part earth elemental. A low sound rises up in his throat to accompany the visage as he finally speaks, giving up on his obvious and continued mistrust, likely born of a deep-seated dislike of anything cheerful and plucky, rather than substantial evidence of her guilt just yet. He makes a point of securing all of his items once more carefully, taking a moment to stuff his money and book and other effects back down into the bowels of his backpack.

"Hmmmgh......... Thank you. Now kindly allow me to drink in peace. I've a busy time ahead of me and I..."

The orc trails off as he eyes a table across the room from him for a long moment in annoyed disbelief, at last spotting the man who had been part of the noisy festivities earlier. He grumbles and averts his eyes after a few moments, his last few words bubbling the water as he raises it to his lips once more.

"Ugh... Hosh me, an elf..."

Since it would be an exercise in futility, I won't bother with another Sense Motive yet.

AgentIndy
2012-08-08, 10:09 PM
Sentry walks up to Luci, recognizing her mole under her eye,"I have refilled my alcohol burning furnace, have you found work yet?" He seems unaware that a robbery is probably in progress right in front of him.

packersfan
2012-08-08, 10:53 PM
Allimar leans back from his meal grinning at the orc. Why yes you beast, I am an elf. Now is there something I can help you with or are you going to keep looking at me. Allimar lets out a little laugh and then whispers to himself So primative Allimar then takes a sip of his mead and continues to look the orc down until he replies.

Matt Helm
2012-08-08, 11:30 PM
Kade relaxed as the tension dissipated. Luci had been extremely stupid to try something like that. Rather, she was extremely stupid for getting caught. Kade would never have made such a blunder of a simple theft.

His eyes moved onto the woman that alerted the Orc. Filthy rat! He thought. She didn't look like anything special, just a nondescript peasant woman. But if there was 1 thing Kade had learned, it was that you couldn't trust appearances.

He looked closer. He didn't recognize her but she was definitely wearing a disguise and not a very good one at that.

Kade sat back in his chair and sipped his mead while he watched the rat. If she made a move, he'd know it.

Spot check on Kara: 19
Taking 10 + 9 Ranks

Aldhissla
2012-08-09, 07:17 PM
The orc raises his mug once more to return to his business before hearing the elf's voice. He sets it down and continues to stare in the direction he had been looking before raising his arms in a hopeless shrug and an exasperated sigh. Slowly he turns around to face the apparent archer and furrows his brow for the thousandth time that day.

"Pardon me for whispering anywhere within range of those knife-ears, I don't aim to start anything. It's been a long day, I'm sure you can appreciate that. But throwing around the word 'primitive' like that is just liable to be damned incorrect, you know. Beast, however, I will take as a compliment."

He responds calmly, holding his tongue from any further comment. He throws off the scowl as he raises his mug to the elf in an only partly mocking toast.