PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with an NPC.

The Redwolf
2012-07-31, 12:17 AM
Tim, if you're in this topic back out right now, this is stuff that will ruin one of my future campaigns for you and make me hate you if you read it. Same goes for Ezra, Ben, or Weston, on the very low chance any of you three gets on here.

Anyway...in a campaign I will be running a bit down the road I'm going to have a group of NPC's that will be important, like very important, and I need to know two things, or rather know one thing and get recommendations for the other. Firstly, I need to know if anyone has an idea what the CR adjustment would be to take a gunslinger and turn them into a Pale Stranger, because my plan is to have them encounter a group of enemies that they end up killing and they come back as a Graveknight, Worm that Walks, and Pale Stranger, but unlike the first two Pale Stranger doesn't have anything for applying it to a creature like the other two. My guess would be one or two, but also would there need to be anything added other than their abilities and such? Secondly, I for some reason can't think of a good example of a character from some form of media like a game, movie, book, etc. that used dual pistols to fight with, as I need one to come up with a semi-similar appearance and name for, as I'm making all the three enemies here pseudo-references to original characters.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

thriceborn
2012-07-31, 02:41 AM
No clue on the CR question, but as for the dual wielding character, you could use Roland Deschain of Gilead. He's a character from Stephen Kings 'The Dark Tower' series. Just use the version that's in the first book, the other six in the series occur after he lost 2-3 fngers on one hand.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Good luck.

The Redwolf
2012-07-31, 10:17 AM
No clue on the CR question, but as for the dual wielding character, you could use Roland Deschain of Gilead. He's a character from Stephen Kings 'The Dark Tower' series. Just use the version that's in the first book, the other six in the series occur after he lost 2-3 fngers on one hand.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Good luck.

That sounds like a pretty good one actually, I've been meaning to read the series too, I may end up using that one.

thriceborn
2012-07-31, 11:56 AM
That sounds like a pretty good one actually, I've been meaning to read the series too, I may end up using that one.

The series is good. Roland is a great main character. I don't know what else to say.

Feralventas
2012-07-31, 12:19 PM
From what I can tell,

Build a gunslinger.
-Change d10 HD to d8's, and switch from Con to Charisma for HP modifier.
-Change base stats to what's seen on the Pale Stranger's bracket, but remember that whatever HD it has should also be what you base it's WBL on, so it'd have those to boost its abilities further as a character.
-The HD also grant it Feats, though the example seems to be one or two missing from the template as it's got feats up to 15HD but doesn't account for the 3 bonus feats from Gunslinger4, 8, and 12th level.
-Fortitude and Reflex are Poor saves, Will is good, and Fort is Charisma based due to undeath.

Alternatively, take the base creature as it's written in the entry and then add whatever class levels you feel are appropriate. Maybe roll the HD yourself. If you REALLY want to boost its strength, take the 3.5 idea of Rolling for it's base stats and then applying the ability bonus as if it were whatever number results in either a 10 or 11.
For the PS, it would be +6 Strength, +10 Dex, +8 Wisdom and +8 Charisma.

The Redwolf
2012-07-31, 01:53 PM
From what I can tell,

Build a gunslinger.
-Change d10 HD to d8's, and switch from Con to Charisma for HP modifier.
-Change base stats to what's seen on the Pale Stranger's bracket, but remember that whatever HD it has should also be what you base it's WBL on, so it'd have those to boost its abilities further as a character.
-The HD also grant it Feats, though the example seems to be one or two missing from the template as it's got feats up to 15HD but doesn't account for the 3 bonus feats from Gunslinger4, 8, and 12th level.
-Fortitude and Reflex are Poor saves, Will is good, and Fort is Charisma based due to undeath.

Alternatively, take the base creature as it's written in the entry and then add whatever class levels you feel are appropriate. Maybe roll the HD yourself. If you REALLY want to boost its strength, take the 3.5 idea of Rolling for it's base stats and then applying the ability bonus as if it were whatever number results in either a 10 or 11.
For the PS, it would be +6 Strength, +10 Dex, +8 Wisdom and +8 Charisma.

Well I'm planning on having a normal gunslinger and then after they die they'll come back as one of these, same thing for the other two, I just kind of need to know how to adjust them and what level I should start them at so what a level/cr adjustment would be. The ability boosts you have there seem a little high, but I could probably knock a few off to make those work, I really just need to know how much of an adjustment any ability boosts and new abilities/features justifies so I can make him balanced with the other two and the PC's.