PDA

View Full Version : Simple character for fun one-off campaign

Andorax
2012-07-31, 01:46 PM
I'm looking at putting together a fun one-off sort of campaign for a family road trip coming up soon, and (big surprise), my 5-year old doesn't want to be left out. I don't want to give him anything complicated to handle, so I talked it over a bit, and hit on an idea.

Let him play my wife's familiar.

Problem is...limited abilities. Need to give him a couple of buttons to push in combat other than "run up, claw feebily, get eaten".

So I tracked down an interesting spell...Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability. And then, thought of the original...Imbue with Spell Ability. Problem is, that's still one-shots.

Then I thought of...reserve feats!

So. A cat familiar with an Imbue with Spell Ability Cure Moderate, and an Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability Lightning Bolt, and the feats Touch of Healing and Storm Bolt would have a "zap badguys" and "heal friend" option to use every round if desired.

Which then leaves the question...how do I legally get said familiar said feats? Ideally without resorting to a DCS.

Do familiars even get feats? The PHB section is clear about how their HD is = their master's HD, and that they use their master's Skill ranks...but makes no mention of if they have their own feats, their master's feats, or don't advance feats at all as they go up in HD (which would leave said cat with only Weapon Finesse).

Alternately...improved familiar to get something with 3+ HD that has two DCS eligible feats to begin with. Can I do any better than this?

Ranting Fool
2012-07-31, 04:54 PM
Alternately...improved familiar to get something with 3+ HD that has two DCS eligible feats to begin with. Can I do any better than this?

As far as I know Normal familiars don't gain feats. (though I could have always been playing it wrong)

I'd go with Improved Familiar depending on the level.
Any Rangers or Druids in the party? Playing a trained wolf or something could be fun. That or let him play a monster creature, something cool could join the party (since it's a one-off you don't have to worry about it messing up the campaign or anything) Pixies or Imps could be fun :smallbiggrin:

I remember when I first played D&D I would have been about 7 or something and I always ended up being the Halfling (back in 2nd ed)