PDA

View Full Version : Please PEACH a Few Simple Spells

wayfare
2012-07-31, 08:47 PM
Hey All:

Can you take a look at these spells and see if they are balanced?

Hey All:

Can you take a look at these spells and see if they are balanced?

Instill Slight Weakness
Necromancy
Level: Cleric 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: Single
Duration: 1 minute or 1 round; See Text
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

The touched opponent takes 2 additional points of damage from all damage sources for 1 minute. On a successful Save, the effect persists for 1 round instead of 1 minute.

Instill Moderate Weakness
Necromancy
Level: Cleric 3
Duration: 1 minute or 1 round; See Text

The touched opponent takes 4 additional points of damage from all damage sources for 1 minute. On a successful Save, the effect persists for 1 round instead of 1 minute.

Instill Severe Weakness
Necromancy
Level: Cleric 5
Duration: 1 minute

The touched opponent takes 6 additional points of damage from all damage sources for 1 minute. On a successful Save, the effect persists for 1 round instead of 1 minute.

NEW SPELLS 8/2/12

Divine Whisper
Evocation
Level: Cleric 2
Components: V
Range: 15 feet
Area: 15 foot burst, centered on you
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

Invoking the power of his god, the cleric channels the voice of his deity. Enemies within the area are Staggered for 1 round. A successful fortitude save negates the effect.

Heavenly Cacophony
Evocation
Level: Cleric 4
Components: V
Range: 30 feet
Area: 30 foot burst, centered on you
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

The cleric acts as the mouthpiece of his deity, speaking a single word that hammers the earth. Opponents within the area are Dazed for 1 round. A successful save renders the opponent Staggered for 1 round.

Outsiders and Undead in the area also take 4d8 damage on a failed save.

bobthe6th
2012-07-31, 08:55 PM
hmm... interesting... might be better without the damage but an upped progression of extra damage dealt.

wayfare
2012-07-31, 09:17 PM
hmm... interesting... might be better without the damage but an upped progression of extra damage dealt.

I was sort of patterning it on the Invest Protection line from PHB2, but I could see something like

Instill Slight Weakness: Target takes 2 extra damage from all attacks for 1 minute. Save reduces duration to 1 round.

Instill Moderate Weakness: Target takes 4 extra damage from all attacks for 1 minute. Save reduces duration to 1 round.

Instill Severe Weakness: Target takes 6 extra damage from all attacks for 1 minute. Save reduces duration to 1 round.

bobthe6th
2012-07-31, 09:32 PM
interesting... I like them. Not totally overpowered, a nice little debuff that requires allies to be nasty.

Network
2012-07-31, 11:17 PM
I like the idea at first, but if it is negative energy, how it would work against undead?

silphael
2012-08-01, 05:41 AM
And one more point: shouldn't it be "fortitude partial" instead of "fortitude negates"?

wayfare
2012-08-01, 10:12 AM
Ok, I've changed the spells significantly, any suggestions?

toapat
2012-08-01, 10:40 AM
i can see the use of this spell, but the problem is, as a spell, you cant really get it to scale and not be completely overpowered. Where as with Psionics you could.

Yitzi
2012-08-01, 01:19 PM
They seem balanced or maybe even a bit on the weak side (compare them to, say, divine favor), but the save should read "Fortitude partial" if a successful save doesn't eliminate it entirely. The duration should also probably read "1 minute or 1 round; see text".

LordErebus12
2012-08-01, 02:03 PM
They seem balanced or maybe even a bit on the weak side (compare them to, say, divine favor), but the save should read "Fortitude partial" if a successful save doesn't eliminate it entirely. The duration should also probably read "1 minute or 1 round; see text".

agreed wholeheartedly

Wyntonian
2012-08-01, 04:39 PM
I'd love this to death if I were a totemist, TWF-er or anything that gets piles of attacks. Not bad. I mean, it would have to be a specific case before I'd actually cast it, but not bad.

Yitzi
2012-08-01, 05:54 PM
I'd love this to death if I were a totemist, TWF-er or anything that gets piles of attacks.

On the flip side, the same is true of anything that boosts your damage.

Wyntonian
2012-08-01, 06:34 PM
On the flip side, the same is true of anything that boosts your damage.

Yeah, but enchanting two weapons costs twice as much as one, for example. Str-boosts only add 50% to the off hand. This is a flat +X that doesn't account for that. You're right, of course, but this is a little more attack-spam friendly than some of the alternatives.

Yitzi
2012-08-01, 08:55 PM
Yeah, but enchanting two weapons costs twice as much as one, for example. Str-boosts only add 50% to the off hand.

I was thinking more of stuff like Divine Favor.

What this is really friendly to is attack spam not just by the caster but by a large horde of creatures.

wayfare
2012-08-01, 09:13 PM
Ok, suggested changes made!

What should the mass version of this spell look like?

wayfare
2012-08-02, 09:46 AM
Ok, just added a few new spells. Any thoughts?

Yitzi
2012-08-02, 11:24 AM
Divine Whisper seems ok; you're spending a standard action and a low-level spell to deprive very close enemies of their move actions (subject to Fort save). Heavenly Cacophany is way too powerful, though, as it completely wrecks the action economy.

Fruchtkracher
2012-08-03, 10:03 PM
How do the spells interact with spells and abilities that deal several small amounts of damage (such as magic missile or melf's acid arrow)?
Do we apply the damage to each missile/tick? If so 1d4+7 per missile might not be overpowered, but certainliy nice.

wayfare
2012-08-05, 12:11 PM
How do the spells interact with spells and abilities that deal several small amounts of damage (such as magic missile or melf's acid arrow)?
Do we apply the damage to each missile/tick? If so 1d4+7 per missile might not be overpowered, but certainliy nice.

I would say that falls in the area of GM interpretation or setting fluff (for example, if magic missile was a big ball of magic energy that split into multiple balls if you targeted multiple opponents), but my inclination is to say that each tick of damage gets its own bonus.

Certainly, ongoing damage effects like magic missile, blood rage, or frenzy would receive damage bonuses each time they "fired".

Edit: Just modified the Heavenly Cacophony spell.