PDA

View Full Version : Will of the Divine [3.5; ending PrC for Clerics]

Surgo
2012-07-31, 09:03 PM
I've always liked the Bone Knight PrC from Five Nations, but the way I saw it it had two major flaws:
1: Tied to a very specific region in a very specific campaign setting.
2: The abilities that were actually powerful (the immunities) seemed way more appropriate at very high character levels than at the mid levels you'd be getting them at.

Thus, I wrote this to try to deal with those two issues and give it some more widely applicable flavor, so maybe it can see use outside of an Eberron game. As it's for a Cleric, this is meant to be a strong PrC (on the level of stuff like Bone Knight, Radiant Servant of Pelor, and the other stuff Clerics usually take). Hope you like.

Will of the Divine

There are holy warriors and crusaders of all stripes, but all dwarfed by the Will of the Divine. He has seen it all, and done it all. His devotion to his deity or cause is absolute, his deeds monumental. When the Will of the Divine starts a crusade, nothing will stop him until the job is done.

Entry Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +11
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 8th-level divine spells.

Hit Die: d8
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Mantle of Menace|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Interminable|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Stand Your Ground|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Crusader of Legends|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Eternal Justice|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
[/table]

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a Will of the Divine, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Mantle of Menace (Ex): Wherever the Will goes, he distributes divine justice. The Will gains a +4 bonus to Intimidate checks and DR 2/- for each class level he has.

Interminable (Ex): The Will of the Divine does not stop. He is immune to nonlethal damage and stunning, and he can act without penalty when disabled or dying.

Stand Your Ground (Ex): Dirty tricks and powerful blows do not faze a Will of the Divine. He becomes immune to critical hits, poison, and death from massive damage.

Crusader of Legends: When the Will of the Divine wants the job done, nothing can stop him. His type changes to Outsider (Native). He also gains immunity to sleep effects, paralysis, disease, death effects, fatigue, exhaustion, ability damage to his physical ability scores, ability drain and energy drain.

Eternal Justice: The Will of the Divine's name and deeds are known throughout the planes. He can select an area on the Great Wheel as his own divine realm; this becomes divinely morphic according to his whim. This area can be as large as he desires, but does not take up any already-in-use real estate. The planes are just weird like that. The Will should specify how this realm can be entered and exited.

In addition, should he ever die, he will return to life 24 hours later in his divine realm. This effect can only trigger once per year; should he die again within the year, he will not return to life until the full year has passed.

Surgo
2012-08-01, 10:49 PM
39 views and not a single comment?

nonsi
2012-08-03, 12:39 AM
If you have to be brain dead not to take it, then it's probably too much.

silphael
2012-08-03, 06:18 AM
That will be nice as a paladin PrC, but for a divine caster it's far too powerfull...

Surgo
2012-08-03, 07:56 PM
You guys realize the Bone Knight exists, right? Same immunities, far earlier level.

silphael
2012-08-03, 09:03 PM
If the Bone Knight is a divine caster, it's broken. If it isn't, it isn't (broken, I mean).

DaTedinator
2012-08-03, 09:39 PM
Two key differences separate this from the Bone Knight. First, Bone Knight costs a spellcaster level. That's a big deal. Second, Bone Knight requires twice the level investment.

That said, I don't think this class is too powerful. It gives solid defense, in exchange for granting no exciting new options (which you could get by taking other prestige classes). I just don't think the comparison to Bone Knight is a fair one.

The main thing I'd say: tweak the BAB and saves. My main problem with short prestige classes is that they really wonk up your progressions. Now, granted, if you use fraction saves and BAB that's not an issue, but still.

So especially in your case, where you have a specific level in mind for a character to take this class, and the intent for them to stick with it until 20? I'd adjust the BAB to end at +4 - so they end with +15, like they would - and reduce the good saves by +1.

I know that'll give you weird progressions, and if you don't want to do that, I understand. It's just something I've been thinking about lately.