PDA

View Full Version : get charisma casting on non charisma casters?

bobthe6th
2012-08-01, 12:20 AM
how can I do so?

Eldonauran
2012-08-01, 12:43 AM
how can I do so?

SuBlime Chord gets accelerated spell casting and can be entered into with any arcane casting classes. It gets sorc/wiz spell access and uses CHA

If you are looking for divine magic, see Dragonlance: Legends of The Twins, page 12: Dynamic Priest (feat). Must be taken at first level, allows CHA determine bonus spells and max spell level. It does NOT allow CHA to determine spell DC

Also, an extra bit of information, the same page gives Academic Priest, which lets you use INT in the same way

killianh
2012-08-01, 12:48 AM
I think the best way to pull that one is to take levels in a charisma caster, then pick up levels in Ultimate Magus and focus all of your casting through the charisma side. Not the best solution, but it's there. Also IIRC Void disciple allows you to use a different Stat x-times per day. Feat, Spell, Item-wise I don't think there is anything

Downysole
2012-08-01, 12:20 PM
SuBlime Chord gets accelerated spell casting and can be entered into with any arcane casting classes. It gets sorc/wiz spell access and uses CHA

If you are looking for divine magic, see Dragonlance: Legends of The Twins, page 12: Dynamic Priest (feat). Must be taken at first level, allows CHA determine bonus spells and max spell level. It does NOT allow CHA to determine spell DC

Also, an extra bit of information, the same page gives Academic Priest, which lets you use INT in the same way

This appears to be a good way to focus all your improvements into one stat (CHA) as a cleric. If only there were a way to get your turn checks to depend on wisdom, then you're REALLY in good shape.

Amazo
2012-08-01, 01:03 PM
This appears to be a good way to focus all your improvements into one stat (CHA) as a cleric. If only there were a way to get your turn checks to depend on wisdom, then you're REALLY in good shape.

Paladins would be happy about getting bonus spells from Charisma instead of Wisdom, since divine grace, lay on hands, turn checks, and smite evil use the former. A lot of their spells aren't used against enemies, so the low DC wouldn't bother them too much. Then again, who casts spells or turns undead as a paladin?

jaybird
2012-08-01, 01:07 PM
I've heard of Southern Magician and Alternate Spell Source?

Amazo
2012-08-01, 01:13 PM
I've heard of Southern Magician and Alternate Spell Source?

Those only change the spell type from arcane to divine or vice versa, unless doing that also changes it's casting stat for some reason.

Giegue
2012-08-01, 02:44 PM
If your not adverse to 3rd party material there is a feat from Green Ronin's bastards and bloodlines sourcebook called Lost Traditions which allows you to set the casting stat of any one casting class you take to the mental ability score of your choice. This is for ALL purposes, including DCs, and ALL classes, not just divine ones. The feat has to be taken at 1st level, but, oddly enough, can be used to stat-swap a class you don't yet have levels in. So if you wanted to swap, say, Ur-Priest casting from wisdom to charisma, this feat is the only way you can do it.

Also, if you want to make a primarily cha-based character who takes a non-cha based casting class and are starting at a fairly high level play a Necropolitian(To get a natural taint score) and take either tainted scholar(If your arcane), Tainted Sorcerer(If divine...can be taken by an arcanist too but tainted scholar is just better for arcane casters since it actually gets class features while this one doesn't really.) or Maho-Tsukai(If your are a spontaneous caster and a fan of necromancy and [evil] spells.) All three of these classes set your casting stat to be your taint score, so now you can be a highly charismatic cleric with next to no wisdom and not suffer the consequences because your casting purely off your taint. Of course, all of these classes are likely to be met with flying DMGs, and Tainted Scholar is a name synonymous with cheese...so you should probably ask your DM before you go this route.

Eldonauran
2012-08-01, 06:49 PM
This appears to be a good way to focus all your improvements into one stat (CHA) as a cleric.

Yes. If you restrict yourself to spells that lack a save or merely stick to buffing yourself and your allies (healing included), you can completely dump wisdom.

Paladins would be happy about getting bonus spells from Charisma instead of Wisdom, since divine grace, lay on hands, turn checks, and smite evil use the former. A lot of their spells aren't used against enemies, so the low DC wouldn't bother them too much. Then again, who casts spells or turns undead as a paladin?

A cleric that took the alternate way, Prestige Paladin (Unearthed Arcana) :smallamused:

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-01, 07:00 PM
Then again, who casts spells or turns undead as a paladin?

Everyone?

Seriously, paladins have two class features that can be optimized to give them an edge. Divine Grace, and spellcasting. And the former is more useful on a sorcadin.

killianh
2012-08-01, 10:40 PM
If your not adverse to 3rd party material there is a feat from Green Ronin's bastards and bloodlines sourcebook called Lost Traditions which allows you to set the casting stat of any one casting class you take to the mental ability score of your choice.

I think if he's unsure of Dragon Mag then 3rd party would probably be out of the question too

Kazyan
2012-08-01, 10:45 PM
Geomancer. You'll have to do a bunch of fiddling, but there you go.

Waddacku
2012-08-02, 04:21 AM
A Cleric heading into Prestige Paladin can pick up Serenity and run Turn Undead (and the other Paladin abilities) off of Wisdom.

Obviously, so can a Paladin.

planswalker
2012-08-02, 05:01 AM
guys, none of that discussion is gonna help him. I'm one of the other pc's in the game he's in that he's asking about for this, and he should have explained the context better:

he's a warlock3 that's looking at picking up a smidge of divine casting to enable him to use the healing items our party badly needs. I think he's planning on going into the invocation/divine theurge prc, not 100% sure.

He's wanting either a cha-based divine casting class which can heal or a way to put a divine casting class to be keyed off of cha.

Waddacku
2012-08-02, 05:11 AM
Favored Soul, then. Just avoid spells with save DCs. Options for re-keying casting have already been mentioned.
Eldritch Theurge requires Turn/Rebuke Undead to enter, though. To get in with Favored Soul would require a level in some other class to get it. Dread Necromancer, for instance. Would mean a total of 5 levels, though.

Although he's a Warlock. He can take 10 on UMD. It also seems like he has a good Cha score, so his modifier should be decent as well.

Lord Haart
2012-08-02, 06:09 AM
a cha-based divine casting class which can heal

Favored Soul, then. Just avoid spells with save DCs.Or shugenja (any elemental focus but fire, as fire bars healing spells).

Waddacku
2012-08-02, 10:33 AM
Oh, yes, definitely viable choice there.

Petrocorus
2013-07-29, 11:38 PM
guys, none of that discussion is gonna help him. I'm one of the other pc's in the game he's in that he's asking about for this, and he should have explained the context better:

he's a warlock3 that's looking at picking up a smidge of divine casting to enable him to use the healing items our party badly needs. I think he's planning on going into the invocation/divine theurge prc, not 100% sure.

He's wanting either a cha-based divine casting class which can heal or a way to put a divine casting class to be keyed off of cha.

If is BAB is high enough, maybe Divine Crusader. With a Contemplative dip for another domain. The only other PrC i know with divine cha-based casting is Emissary of Barachiel from BoED.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-29, 11:57 PM

If he waits 1 level he can take 10 on UMD checks, which means he will be able to use wands without rolling (7 ranks +3 charisma + taking 10= 20 UmD check, enough for wands)

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-30, 12:34 AM
Alternatively, Healing Belts. 750 GP a pop and heal 6d8 a day forever.