PDA

View Full Version : Fallout: Gotham City

Pokonic
2012-08-01, 12:22 AM
Think that this sick fusion of settings would work in a game? Honest question, just watched the last movie in Nolens series and said to myself, "you know, just by going from the amount of good villians in this series, somehow it could be made better by adding a dash of the Arkham games and putting it in a blender with the basic Fallout premise. Think it would be fun to play in?

elizasteave
2012-08-01, 12:33 AM
I think it depends. Some people may like it some may not. The point is that every people have different taste for the games. If it is concerned for me then I would like to have it. I mean as for me I like to have changes some times.

BootStrapTommy
2012-08-01, 01:40 AM
That would be too rich of a shake for the brain to handle. Like 95% coco dark chocolate crumbled on a chocolate cake with dark chocolate cream cheese frosting, chased with hersey's syrup. And fudge.

:smalleek: I just made myself sick thinking about that...

Cespenar
2012-08-01, 02:02 AM
Gotham is pretty much an anarchy already, masquerading as a city. I don't think anything major would change with this. The Fallout aspect would just up the devastation a notch or two.

Gnome Alone
2012-08-01, 02:07 AM
That would be too rich of a shake for the brain to handle. Like 95% coco dark chocolate crumbled on a chocolate cake with dark chocolate cream cheese frosting, chased with hersey's syrup. And fudge.

:smalleek: I just made myself sick thinking about that...

Sounds pretty good to me. Unless by "chased" you mean just drunk straight from the bottle, cuz yeesh.

As for the original question, I could see it working, although the Fallout games are kind of a gritty and desperate setting for any kind of superheroicism, right? Even the earlier, wackier ones, but I guess that could work a little better. I don't mean it's a bad idea. But my first thought was I couldn't see myself taking super-heroes/villains seriously if I'm all living in the wasteland, worrying about how much condensation I can collect from my rows of human skulls.

Jay R
2012-08-01, 09:23 AM
It doesn't miss by much what DC comics did with all the Batman book with No Man's Land, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man%27s_Land_%28comics%29) back in 1999

Ziegander
2012-08-01, 01:32 PM
Think that this sick fusion of settings would work in a game? Honest question, just watched the last movie in Nolens series and said to myself, "you know, just by going from the amount of good villians in this series, somehow it could be made better by adding a dash of the Arkham games and putting it in a blender with the basic Fallout premise. Think it would be fun to play in?

So, sort of a "What if Bane/Talia had succeeded" game? What if their nuke had actually leveled the city? Personally, I think it could be awesome, but there would have to be a lot of differences plotwise. The Fallout concepts really only work if set in the far future of a world-wide nuclear catastrophe. Localizing that to Gotham City could work, but only if it's just part of a broader wasteland (much like Fallout: New Vegas).

Hmm... now, I'm curious. We could probably do a play-by-post version of this if I, or somebody else fashions a Fallout ruleset translating the gameplay. The VATS system would be the most difficult part I imagine.

Loki_42
2012-08-01, 02:04 PM
As for the original question, I could see it working, although the Fallout games are kind of a gritty and desperate setting for any kind of superheroicism, right? Even the earlier, wackier ones, but I guess that could work a little better. I don't mean it's a bad idea. But my first thought was I couldn't see myself taking super-heroes/villains seriously if I'm all living in the wasteland, worrying about how much condensation I can collect from my rows of human skulls.

Not according to this Fallout 3 Quest (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Superhuman_Gambit). Granted, they were very much insane, and didn't really help anyone, but it's still postapocalyptic supervillainy, and that should count, right?

Amazo
2012-08-01, 03:00 PM
Take it too far in one direction and you might end up with Gotham City Imposters, which I am not a fan of. Otherwise, the majority of Dark Knight Rises makes me think it would be a good idea.

Pokonic
2012-08-01, 04:19 PM
So, sort of a "What if Bane/Talia had succeeded" game? What if their nuke had actually leveled the city? Personally, I think it could be awesome, but there would have to be a lot of differences plotwise. The Fallout concepts really only work if set in the far future of a world-wide nuclear catastrophe. Localizing that to Gotham City could work, but only if it's just part of a broader wasteland (much like Fallout: New Vegas).

Hmm... now, I'm curious. We could probably do a play-by-post version of this if I, or somebody else fashions a Fallout ruleset translating the gameplay. The VATS system would be the most difficult part I imagine.

It would have been more of a "The nuke did go off in the bay area, but there where quite a few more where that came from and hence the entire city was irradiated." Presumably, Freeze would end up a ghoul, Killer Croc would probably keep growing (thank's to Radiation Magics! tm.), eventualy becoming some Godzillaish horror in the bay, Ivy might make it out reasonably well, perhapes a bit more plantish, Arkham is a even worse than usual, thanks to most of the population ending up ghoulish,ect.

I would assume such a game in this hypothetical mashup would start with people in the general area starting to have run-ins with raiders who are utterly addicted to some strange bulking chem (Blacklight, Titan, Venom, geez, theres a lot in this universe) and tracing it to this forsaken place where tribal group's who have discovered some interesting toys are just oozing out of the woodwork.

And thats before they find out that a very old man is running the show from down below, in a sunless city guarded by very, very strange robots.

Ziegander
2012-08-01, 04:29 PM
It would have been more of a "The nuke did go off in the bay area, but there where quite a few more where that came from and hence the entire city was irradiated." Presumably, Freeze would end up a ghoul, Killer Croc would probably keep growing (thank's to Radiation Magics! tm.), eventualy becoming some Godzillaish horror in the bay, Ivy might make it out reasonably well, perhapes a bit more plantish, Arkham is a even worse than usual, thanks to most of the population ending up ghoulish,ect.

Yep. This all sounds pretty awesome. The only "big" issue I can see is that there is no "central" villain, no archnemesis with a grand, sinister plot.

The noble aims of the heroes, to restore hope, and revive the hearts and minds, if not also the land itself, of the people - that's all well and good, but to achieve true dramatic tension we need a great villain to threaten to plunge the collective consciousness even further into despair and dementia! If you're attempting to set it in the aftermath of the Nolanverse, then both the Joker and Bane are dead. Who would you tap as the BBEG?

Pokonic
2012-08-01, 04:52 PM
Yep. This all sounds pretty awesome. The only "big" issue I can see is that there is no "central" villain, no archnemesis with a grand, sinister plot.

The noble aims of the heroes, to restore hope, and revive the hearts and minds, if not also the land itself, of the people - that's all well and good, but to achieve true dramatic tension we need a great villain to threaten to plunge the collective consciousness even further into despair and dementia! If you're attempting to set it in the aftermath of the Nolanverse, then both the Joker and Bane are dead. Who would you tap as the BBEG?

I was going to use the aftermath of the Arkham games with the Nolenverse as a backdrop, realy. Everything is pretty much normal, realy, guns are still guns, but the Joker had his toys and such. Keyword "was", but tell that to the guys who put on face-paint and use what's left of the Laughing Gas.

As for the BBEG,well, there's a little thing that can be abbeviated as the LoS, or the LoA if you want to get old-school. And before one asks, the Pit's exist.