PDA

View Full Version : DMCT - Alpha Stage

Angelmaker
2012-08-01, 06:24 AM
In regards to this Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13401373#post13401373 - which i will not longer follow, but have read duely), in which a good amount of very nice people gave me good hints and answers.

You all inspired me over the years with crazy stories, helpful hints, advices, truely awesome builds or just by being plain cool. You guys are what makes gaming fun.

Today I want to present to you the first Alpha release of the DMCT ( Dungeon Master Creation Tools ). There are hundreds of existing tools and databases out there. So which makes this one different from these?

Short answer: Nothing, but it is mine! MINE! Ahem.

Where can I find it?
http://wraith-node.de/daniel/ This URL will Change later on, this is just a work title.

What is it?
It is a piece of software written in PHP. You need a webbrowser to access it.

What does it do?
Simple. It calculates and scales the monsters you gave to it. It is written specifically for D&D 3.5, but may work with any open content D20 material later on. I am not so sure about this.

You gave to it? What does that even mean?
It means, you can edit ASCII Text files with preset parameters ( look for "import" for a documentation ), upload them and use them LIFE in DMCT. Your file is saved, and it even supports version control by author tag.

What functionality does it have?
So far it is VERY Limited. You will very soon see, that there are tons of feats ( literally ) missing. It does not support spellcasting ( yet! ) and there is no way ( again: YET! ) to hand over EX or SU abilites to DMCT in your file.

IMPORtANT: What should I do with the ASCII file after uploading it to DMCT
KEEP IT for two reasons:
1)I will most likely purge the template database as soon as I code new features.
2) You can always edit your file and reupload it, to fix bugs, etc.

If you delete your file, there really is no realistic option to return it to you from DMCT, allthough itīs not that much work after all, Iīd hate to see it go to waste.

Some words from me
DMCT is work in progress, there may be updates daily, weekly or even only once a month, depending on how much time I find. Please be kind and constructive IF you plan to give any feedback. There are several known weaknesses, like the mishandling of ECL vs. CR for example or the wrong skillnames in some of the pregiven roles, donīt mind these, create your own ;). I am working on these ASAIC, AFAIC.

It is much work for only one person and so far my limited schedule only allowed me to put in about 20-30 hours so far. *rant off* However ANY kind of critique or comment or feedback is welcome, if you plan on helping me to improve the software.

Disclaimer: The usual. The software comes as is, I am not responsible for any damage to your PC/software that happens by using it. I have done my very best to assure that you are safe, however, scriptblocker is advised and an up-to-date virusscan should be mandatory ( though serverside everything looks fine and is run with the utmost security in mind ).

I hope some of you will find it useful, at least amusing. A salute to you guys. Thanks for your time reading this.

Angelmaker
2012-08-01, 08:52 AM
Ok, I just uploaded a new version of DMCT, which fixes a truely stupid bug with iterative attack calculations. Not perfect, but it works at least.