PDA

View Full Version : Can you suppress your own immunity?

Madeiner
2012-08-01, 06:32 AM
Hi there,

today session's closed with a question.

One of the characters needed to die to fullfill a quest requirement in order to open a portal.
The cause of death was to be "a power word: kill by a cranium rat".

The paladin volunteered for the death and a resurrection.
They proceeded to engage the rats and eventually they casted PWK, only for the paladin to discover he was immune to it, as he is a paladin of freedom and PWK is a compulsion.

Fortunately another played stepped over and got killed instead.

Could the paladin have decided to temporarily suppress his own immunity in order to die?.
We couldn't find anything in the rules.

Thanks

Medic!
2012-08-01, 07:22 AM
Negatory. I feel your pain though, had a campaign where our paladin was dominated by a vampire and I tried to imperious command him to keep him from whacking a party member, then facepalmed and went "Crap...immune to fear...."

Zerter
2012-08-01, 07:24 AM
Have him stab someone should do it.

Mnemnosyne
2012-08-01, 07:31 AM
Yes.

177 PHB, under 'Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw:' the last sentence states, "Even a character with a special resistance to magic (for example, an elf's resistance to sleep effects) can suppress this quality."

Venusaur
2012-08-01, 07:37 AM
Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw
A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

From the SRD. The example in the PHB is an elf's immunity to sleep.

Keneth
2012-08-01, 07:59 AM
By RAW there are immunities to magic effects that you can suppress as noted above. In reality there are immunities for which it doesn't make sense that the creature could willingly suppress them. For instance if a creature is naturally immune to fire, it shouldn't be able to turn that immunity off like a switch (if the immunity is Su, it could be ruled otherwise). Likewise an ooze can't make itself suddenly vulnerable to critical hits.

More on topic, I would allow a paladin to suppress their immunity to compulsion effects and it's supported by RAW.

Madeiner
2012-08-01, 08:23 AM
Yes.

177 PHB, under 'Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw:' the last sentence states, "Even a character with a special resistance to magic (for example, an elf's resistance to sleep effects) can suppress this quality."

The Boz
2012-08-01, 08:26 AM
I, personally, run everything as suppressable, even Spell Resistance. Rules be damned!

Flickerdart
2012-08-01, 08:34 AM
I, personally, run everything as suppressable, even Spell Resistance. Rules be damned!
Uh, you can, as a standard action, lower SR for a round.

Madeiner
2012-08-01, 08:49 AM

SR is suppressable, but requires a standard action RAW.
I have offered a lower powered spell resistance to my players sometimes, in exchange of SR not interfering with beneficial spells.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-01, 01:59 PM
The dwarven deities better have the ability to suppress their immunity to poison. Otherwise, they'd never be able to get drunk.

DarthCyberWolf
2012-08-01, 02:51 PM
The dwarven deities better have the ability to suppress their immunity to poison. Otherwise, they'd never be able to get drunk.

Ah! Unless their alcohol has a divine rank equal to or higher than them! :smallbiggrin:

The Boz
2012-08-01, 03:39 PM
Lowering it as a standard action for one whole round? Yeah, totally tactically viable.

Waddacku
2012-08-01, 04:15 PM
Lowering it as a standard action for one whole round? Yeah, totally tactically viable.

That's the point. You can still get healed when combat's over and buffed before it, but you'd have to be desperate to do it in combat. This is the trade-off for resisting enemy spells.