PDA

View Full Version : wondrous item vs minor schema

MatrixQ
2012-08-01, 02:09 PM
I am going to be playing an artificer soon, and while I think I understand most of the things the class has to offer, and have read multiple guides and faqs on it, there is one thing I can't wrap my mind around.

That thing is "etch schema". In almost every guide, they talk about how schemas are so good and so powerful and you should take the feat as soon as possible and what not. I don't understand why. If I already have craft wondrous items, can't I basically do something similar already? Without the need for an UMD check and possible failure?

Base Prices:
Etch Schema: Caster Level x Spell Level x 400
Wondrous Items: Caster Level x Spell Level x 1800 (Command word) x 0,2 (1 use per day) = Caster Level x Spell Level x 360

So why would I ever want to create a schema, when I can create a similar wondrous item for less? Is there anything I am not seeing? I kind of believe there must be, because I am pretty sure the people who wrote those guides can do that math at least as well as I can, so there has to be something else. But what?

A very confused
MatrixQ

HunterOfJello
2012-08-01, 02:27 PM
I'm going to have to double check on the item costs, but Schemas do have some advantages on their own.

Minor Schemas can hold Infusions on them, which is freaking awesome and allow you to use extra infusions every day. Since Infusions only go up to level 6, you can use 1/day scroll type items that use level 6 infusions. That can be very awesome on its own. A level 10 Artificer has a base number of 11 Infusions per day. That's a pretty small number compared to a wizard or other spellcasting class.

Minor Schemas are also spell completion items, just like scrolls. That means that you can use an artificer's Metamagic Spell Completion ability with them. Since infusions are being used and not spells, the level numbers will once again be lower and easy to accomplish. You need a pretty high UMD check to get some decent metamagic spell completion checks going, but it is accomplishable.

~

As far as item costs go, the costs you're listing are for items that are worn on someone's body in an appropriate body slot. Notice that the examples given are Cloak of the Monteblanc and Boots of Teleportation. There's an increased cost listed somewhere for slotless items, but I don't remember what it is. I need to look up what's listed for items that aren't worn. There are several like that in the MiC.

MatrixQ
2012-08-02, 05:35 AM
Ah, I see. The Metamagic Spell completion feat is a big selling point, that's true. Do Schemas only hold infusions, or can they hold arcane spells as well? In that case, they will really cut down the price on things. You can persist any spell on them for free and get a day long buff for a fraction of a continuous item. That's actually pretty damn impressive, and actually worth taking. Or You could cast metamagic item with the persist metamagic and maximize a wand for the whole day. Neat.

Thank you very much :smallsmile: