PDA

View Full Version : Were-Octopus

GreenSerpent
2012-08-01, 04:03 PM
Hi all,

Inspired by a recent thread, I'm playing an Incarnate Construct Warforged Were-Octopus. And yes, I know it's not technically allowed by RAW. BUt never mind that.

Any suggestions for class that would synergise well? I know it's not recommended, but a Psion (Telepath) would be amusing...

28 point buy, starting at ECL 4 so I've only got one class level.

GS

Madara
2012-08-01, 04:11 PM
I'll answer is this thread.
(And it is allowed by RAW, since you used incarnate construct)

Well, the biggest boost is the Dex bonus. So you would probably make a good rogue. Although, it would also be useful for eldritch blast. That's why I suggest that you make a Warlock. The fact that you won't have to worry about being being spell levels behind, and you use your abilities at-will can even out your lack of actual class levels.

That said, you could always try to work your way into Ur-Priest or Chameleon. Both of which would make up for the loss of class levels.

Is your GM allowing your Were-octopus abilities to work out of the water?

GreenSerpent
2012-08-01, 04:14 PM
I'll answer is this thread.
Is your GM allowing your Were-octopus abilities to work out of the water?

Considering how potentially amusing it could be, I'd guess he probably would allow it (I hope!). And if not then I'm fairly sure he'll get a gigantic bonus on Bluff (I am a real octopus, and I did not just speak).

The Dark Fiddler
2012-08-01, 04:15 PM
And yes, I know it's not technically allowed by RAW. BUt never mind that.

What's not RAW-legal about it? :smallconfused:

Anyway, if you want to be effective, casters of any sort are kind of right-out. Martial initiators, when you have racial hit dice, are usually a decent choice, since at least they still advance your initiator level. I'd suggest a swordsage with the feat that gives you Dexterity to damage, I guess.

GreenSerpent
2012-08-01, 04:19 PM
You need to take Incarnate Construct first. Technically some people would say that means you stay with a LA of 0, and don't subtract the LA.

eggs
2012-08-01, 04:22 PM
Is the Lycanthrope hybrid form being modified to make sense with octopus, or do its attacks follow the standard Claw/Claw/Bite routine?

GreenSerpent
2012-08-01, 04:25 PM
Is the Lycanthrope hybrid form being modified to make sense with octopus, or do its attacks follow the standard Claw/Claw/Bite routine?

He hasn't responded yet, but I'll assume he's at least changing it to Slam/Slam/Bite. In any case it'd look better if the character remained in full octopus form.

Hmmm... Swordsage with Shadow Blade... I do like Swordsages. And a nice +4 bonus to Hide and Small size helps.

eggs
2012-08-01, 04:31 PM
How about Totemist for MORE ARMS and big grapple bonuses? It plays nicely with out-of-class HD.

And Warshaper is always nice filler for shapeshifters - strength boosts, extra attacks, extra reach. I'm AFB, but I'd be surprised if lycanthropes wouldn't qualify.

Madara
2012-08-01, 04:44 PM
He hasn't responded yet, but I'll assume he's at least changing it to Slam/Slam/Bite. In any case it'd look better if the character remained in full octopus form.

Hmmm... Swordsage with Shadow Blade... I do like Swordsages. And a nice +4 bonus to Hide and Small size helps.

Yeah. You won't be gaining any tenticles, even in hybrid mode, without the DM being nice. For some reason, you'll get claws.

Silly WotC..:smallamused:

Edit: And you might want to change the title so people realize this is different than the thread I started. :smallsmile: