PDA

View Full Version : Greater Cleave/Maximum Attacks per round

Quidditas
2012-08-01, 04:34 PM
What is the maximum number of attacks a medium character can make per round, including attacks using greater cleave?

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 04:36 PM
Greater Cleave lets you keep doing it every time you drop someone.... so if you can instantly kill anyone you hit, you pretty much kill everything around you.

It's usually best when surrounded by swarms of enemies, but is still a bit situational to get good use of. Still, in the right game with the right Dm, you would be limited only by the number of corpses to be made.

Quidditas
2012-08-01, 04:44 PM
So, assuming you're surrounded on all sides, does that mean 8 per round?

kitcik
2012-08-01, 04:48 PM
When you say "a medium character" are you including a 20th level Thri Kreen warblade with perfect multiweapon fighting?

(not that that is anywhere near the max, but just saying this seems like a pretty broad question)

Urpriest
2012-08-01, 04:51 PM
So, assuming you're surrounded on all sides, does that mean 8 per round?

If you only have five feet of reach and you're only counting bonus attacks from Great Cleave, sure.

Quidditas
2012-08-01, 04:57 PM
So I guess, to be more specific, I really want to know if the 6 seconds that a round lasts has any effect on the number of attacks one can make?

Oscredwin
2012-08-01, 05:00 PM
Nope. You can attack everyone in reach, often multiple times, with the right build.

Urpriest
2012-08-01, 05:25 PM
So I guess, to be more specific, I really want to know if the 6 seconds that a round lasts has any effect on the number of attacks one can make?

No. Characters are limited almost entirely by rounds, actions, etc., not by time.

Flickerdart
2012-08-01, 05:26 PM
I believe the record (without Great Cleave) is somewhere north of a million attacks per round.

Downysole
2012-08-01, 05:28 PM
Also, attacks of opportunity that drop an opponent can trigger cleaves. So, if you are the boulder in the river of level 1 kobolds trying to run by, and you get combat reflexes and some decent dex, you can trigger your greater cleave several times during the round.

lsfreak
2012-08-01, 05:36 PM
Nope. You can attack everyone in reach, often multiple times, with the right build.

And in the cheesy ones, you can get... cheesy. Even without going there, shadowpouncer swordsages, for example, aren't all that crazy and can still potentially drop 3 full attacks for 18 attacks in a single round. Jack B. Nimble builds get up there, and warblade archers probably take the cake thanks to Splitting.

thriceborn
2012-08-01, 06:27 PM
Assuming 10 foot reach, and that you hold off on making AoOs until after you're completely surrounded again, the number would be dex mod times 24 I believe. And with the class feature that let's you take a five foot step between them you add nine to that. Granted this is all assuming 10 foot reach.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-08-01, 08:07 PM
I believe the record (without Great Cleave) is somewhere north of a million attacks per round.

One million, sixty-seven thousand, two hundred twelve. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0)

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 08:47 PM
One million, sixty-seven thousand, two hundred twelve. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0)

See, I read through that, and I still have no idea what half of that says. All I smell is a -massive- amount of cheese.

Venusaur
2012-08-01, 09:11 PM
A frenzied Berzerker can get an infinite amount of attacks with supreme cleave, if the enemies are all lined up.

Lanaya
2012-08-01, 09:50 PM
A frenzied Berzerker can get an infinite amount of attacks with supreme cleave, if the enemies are all lined up.

Supreme cleave explicitly doesn't remove the limit of one five foot step per round.

Ramshack
2012-08-02, 12:36 AM
Throw in lightning maces and improved critical and who knows what can happen.