PDA

View Full Version : So I made a Find... is it well Known?

Zombulian
2012-08-01, 05:06 PM
I was derping around with Dragon Mags, trying to find synergies with a dumb build I'm doing, and I came across the Moon Warded Ranger substitution class. Now at first it seems pretty sub-par, gets Wis to AC, DR only active at night, but it's last ability it gets at lvl 11 is the same ability that I've seen some people recommend 9 lvls of Slayer to get (Immune to anything mind affecting, but can also choose to allow some to affect them). That is pretty freakin cool in my opinion. Has anyone else seen this class? Has anyone actually thought it was worth putting 11 levels into Ranger because of it?

deuxhero
2012-08-01, 05:08 PM
Depends on what you lose/what you can combine it with.

If it is legal with Wildshape and or Mystic Ranger, I'd do it in a heartbeat. You generally don't see people talk about it because it's Dragon material.

Zombulian
2012-08-01, 05:12 PM
Depends on what you lose/what you can combine it with.

If it is legal with Wildshape and or Mystic Ranger, I'd do it in a heartbeat. You generally don't see people talk about it because it's Dragon material.

Mystic Ranger is as well :smallconfused: although Moon Warded isn't in the "Class Acts" section, it's hidden in the folds of some weird Astrology based section. Also it is considerable less awesome I suppose :smallsigh:.

Edit: Also it makes you lose your Combat Style progression. Which I think is worth it, but that may be because the character I am using this with is Throwing Weapon based.

Igneel
2012-08-01, 05:23 PM
*after a quick Google search*

2nd lvl- Replaces Combat Style with Armor of Senses
Basically gains your Wis to your AC as long as your not wearing medium or heavier armor, encumbered with weight, or paralyzed/stunned/etc.
In many ways its better then the Monk's AC bonus, and totally stacks with a class like Swordsage's AC bonus as they have different ability names.

6th lvl- Replaces Improved Combat Style with Skin of the Moon
Basically you gain a DR 2/- during night time, DR 3/- if under moonlight that stacks with other DR/- sources.

11th lvl- Replaces Combat Style Mastery with Indomitable Mind
"You are immune to harmful Mind-affecting spells & abilities." O.o;
I'd totally take this level at least, just because it saves you on buying a Mindblank-like effect.

Edit: Of course would have to edit the levels to fit with the Mystic Ranger's progression, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Flickerdart
2012-08-01, 05:29 PM
Taking 9 levels of Slayer is boss because you're getting a hit dice upgrade, full BAB and class features and also you're only 1 level behind on psionics. Taking 11 levels of Ranger is, well, taking 11 levels of Ranger. The only things that make Ranger worthwhile (Wildshape and Mystic Ranger) are either incompatible with this (Wildshape takes away your weapon styles) or delays the acquisition of the ability even further, meaning that you have to take even more Ranger levels.

eggs
2012-08-01, 05:33 PM
Are these substitution levels or a full class replacement?
Sounds pretty neat.

Zombulian
2012-08-01, 05:41 PM
Are these substitution levels or a full class replacement?
Sounds pretty neat.

Substitution Lvls in Dragon 340.