PDA

View Full Version : Who's voice do you hear the characters in?

Wightsbane
2012-08-01, 08:02 PM
Like, if you could give the characters any voice actors you wanted, who do you think they sound like the most?

My personal list so far is:

Roy: J August Richards
Father: Morgan Freeman
Grandfather: Michael Clark Duncan
Elan: Alan Tudyk
Haley: Beth Riesgraf
V: Justin Bieber
Blackwing: Paul Blackthorne
Belkar: Trey Parker

Nale: Wil Wheaton
Sabine: Gina Bellman
Thog: not sure

Xykon: Patrick Stewart
Redcloak: Vincent Caso
Tsukiko: Jewel Staite

Miko: Amy Okuda
Shojo: Ian McKellen

Tarquin: David Boreanaz
Malack: Roger L Jackson
Empress: Tina Fey

martianmister
2012-08-01, 08:35 PM
Xykon: Justin Bieber

ti'esar
2012-08-01, 09:02 PM
I don't normally hear characters in the voices of specific real-life people, but ever since I saw it suggested in a misguided "voice actor" thread, George Takei is the voice of Lord Shojo to me. I can't unhear it now.

tahu88810
2012-08-01, 09:23 PM
I don't normally hear characters in the voices of specific real-life people, but ever since I saw it suggested in a misguided "voice actor" thread, George Takei is the voice of Lord Shojo to me. I can't unhear it now.

Cannot unhear.

Wightsbane
2012-08-01, 10:45 PM
Cannot unhear :smallbiggrin:

Wightsbane
2012-08-01, 10:47 PM

So this has already been discussed?

Oops

Marlowe
2012-08-01, 10:54 PM
I seem to remember that Mel Brooks was the "win" suggestion for Xykon. And that there was this silly argument over whether Neil Patrick Harris was too old to voice Elan.

Logic
2012-08-01, 11:33 PM

I seem to remember that Mel Brooks was the "win" suggestion for Xykon. And that there was this silly argument over whether Neil Patrick Harris was too old to voice Elan.

Cannot unhear.

ti'esar
2012-08-01, 11:40 PM
So this has already been discussed?

Oops

No. There's a difference between asking "Who do you hear a character as?" and "Who should voice that character?" The latter periodically crops up, but this is the first time I've seen the former.

I personally prefer this thread, since the other one didn't really seem to know that much about how voice casting works.

Marlowe
2012-08-01, 11:47 PM
Agreed. Voice Acting is not the same as screen acting. Somebody can be an excellent screen actor and an utterly inept voice actor.

Also, I nominate Kotono Mitsuishi for Lien.

Caivs
2012-08-01, 11:49 PM
To answer the question in the thread's title, I actually have no idea. I hear most of the male characters(Roy, Redcloak, Tarquin,O Chul, Jirix, Hinjo, Tahn, Nale, Girard, Malack etc) in a similar voice, as if I had one personal narrator reading all the lines, only slightly changing his voicetone depending who ''he'' is voice acting. And I think the same is true for most female characters (Haley, Sabine, Miko, Lirian, Celia, etc), as if I had a second voice actor in my mind. But I don't know at all where these two voices come from.

Only a few specific characters have a different voice, such as Durkon (A weird-sounding voice that I can't really describe, nothing like a real scottish accent, sounds more like a redneck medieval peasant), the Oracle (some kind of old man high-pitched voice), Thog (well, Thogish voice, I also somehow read forikroder's posts the same way incidently, same as Enor), Xykon (pirate-like voice), Belkar (kid voice, even though he'd harvest my kidneys for saying this).

I actually envy those able of reading with each character having a different voice :(

That's the answer for what voice I hear the characters in, as for what voice I'd LIKE to hear the characters in, I can't really tell since I don't know the names of many voice actors. I might think about it later.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-01, 11:55 PM
I don't hear specific actors, but these are close approximations.

Roy: Will Friedle
Haley: Jewel Staite
Elan: Michael Sinterniklaas
V: Summer Glau
Blackwing: Tara Strong
Belkar: Alan Tudyk
Durkon: John Rhys Davies

Eugene: Kevin Michael Richardson / Ed Asner

Shojo: Mark Hamill
Hinjo: James Franco
Miko: Hynden Walch

Xykon: John Hurt
Redcloak: Neil Patrick Harris
MiD: CH Greenblatt

Nale: Christopher McCulloch
Sabine: Gina Torres
Thog: Christopher Sabat
Tarquin: Richard Dean Anderson
Malak: Dee Bradley Baker

Cedric: Doc Hammer / Christopher McCulloch
Lee: Doc Hammer / Christopher McCulloch
Nero: Doc Hammer / Christopher McCulloch

Iamyourking
2012-08-02, 12:25 AM
I find it somewhat odd that I'm the only person who hears professional voice actors. Characters who don't sound like anyone in particular are left out.

Elan: Yuri Lowenthal
Haley: Jennifer Hale
V: Karen Strassman (Not meant to be a statement about gender)
Belkar: Steve Blum

Nale: Johnny Yong Bosch
Sabine: Michelle Ruff
Thog: Fred Tatasciore
Tarquin: Grant George

Xykon: Christian Freeman
Redcloak: Liam O'Brien
Tsukiko: Laura Bailey
MitD: Dave Wittemberg

Agnostik
2012-08-02, 06:45 AM
Shojo: Professor Farnsworth's voice (Billy West). I'm absolutely serious.

Gift Jeraff
2012-08-02, 11:32 AM
thog: me
eveyone else: depends on whose reading oots to me that night : )

Marlowe
2012-08-02, 11:38 AM
Saffron Henderson would make a really annoying Miko, but I think she deserves better.

I'm also going to say Lisa Ortiz for Haley and Rachel Lillis for Celia.

Chaotic Queen
2012-08-02, 12:20 PM
Roy: Stephen Russel (gruff and sarcastic)
Elan: Jason Marsden (charming and great for singing)
Vaarsuvius: Jean Gilpin (Feminine and boastful)
Haley: Tara Strong (slightly high-pitched)
Belkar: No reference, but high-pitched and gruff
Durkon: Mel Brooks (Old, but energetic)

Nale: Jason Marsden (Like Elan, but with a sophisticated accent)
Sabine: Tara Strong (slightly low-pitched)
thog: robin williams (dim and slow)

Lord Shojo: Robin Williams (weak and goofy while acting, deep and wise as himself)
Hinjo: Neal Patrick Harris (smooth and confident)
Miko: A female dog (think about it...)

Xykon: Charles Dennis (deep and demonic)
Redcloak: Little Kuriboh (High-pitched and very, very british)
MitD: Carolyn Lawrence (childish)
Tsukiko: Whoever the heck voices Tira (High-pitched and annoying)

Tarquin: BRIAN BLESSED (super, super hammy)

Celia: Maryl Streep (Low-pitched, but motherly)

The Extinguisher
2012-08-02, 12:57 PM
I've always heard Xykon as John Cleese. Not quite sure why.

ThomasMink
2012-08-02, 07:50 PM
It's weird, but when I read the comic I don't really 'hear' the characters as anybody in particular.. with the exception of one. For some odd reason I always hear Malcolm McDowell when I read Xykon's dialogue.

veti
2012-08-02, 08:06 PM
Belkar: Kelsey Grammer. Sure he's a psychopath, but he's a highly articulate psychopath with a vocabulary that Sideshow Bob would respect.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-02, 09:33 PM
Roy is Will Smith. No question.

thisisnotspam
2012-08-03, 08:00 AM
xykon sounds like skeletor
all other characters sound like me, but redcloak has an english accent

Maxios
2012-08-03, 02:08 PM
I imagine Roy speaking with Samuel L. Jackson's voice. For rest, I've come up with my own voices they sound like.

Sutremaine
2012-08-03, 11:12 PM
Nale: Johnny Yong Bosch
That would explain his aversion to the traditions of the Bard class... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTX0zRiSWp8)

Belkar: Trey Parker, if he toned down the Cartman voice to the point where it sounds like a real person.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-03, 11:16 PM
Xykon is Siri.

Yeah, from the iPhone 4s...:smallbiggrin:

Winter_Wolf
2012-08-04, 12:46 AM
I hear Keith David (the voice of Goliath from Gargoyles, Spawn, Mary's stepfather in Something About Mary) for Roy. When he's live acting, his characters get this kind of high pitched sputtering when they're upset/annoyed by something, which I always think of for Roy's reaction to his team's antics.

Roy's Dad is very Samuel L. Jackson. Voice, attitude, and all.

I don't have a particular person's voice in mind for Thog, but he does have the same voice in my head as Skull from PvP Comic. Kind of sounds like the big good-guy gargoyle from Gargoyles. Either Brooklyn or Bronx.

Xykon is a very Rowan Atkinson (Johnny English, Black Adder) sounding fellow in my head. The confident, cold hearted bastard Atkinson, not the suck-up R.A.

I always hear Sabine's voice as really sultry. No particular actor who I can recall off the top of my head.

No one else gets a real "voice", except that V sounds like a snot no matter what else.

PebbleInTheSky
2012-08-04, 02:27 AM
I have to confess, I've heard Redcloak as the character Zim from Invader Zim for years now. Watched a marathon, then read oots, and I could never unhear it.

Uh, Wikipedia tells me his voice actor is Richard Horvitz.

OPM
2012-08-04, 05:02 AM
Belkar: Kelsey Grammer. Sure he's a psychopath, but he's a highly articulate psychopath with a vocabulary that Sideshow Bob would respect.

You just made me imagine Belkar using Sideshow Bob's voice.... That's almost as bad as having Durkon voiced by Willie.

Anyhow, I imagine the voices more like this:

Belkar as Cartman,
Xykon as Grimm,
V as Spock,
Roy as Sisko,
Durkon as Scottie,
Redcloak as Mandark

Firewind
2012-08-04, 06:23 AM
I'm doing a combination of screen actors and voice actors whose voices would fit well IMO:

Roy: Steve Blum or Crispin Freeman
Elan: Mark Hamil (Sorry but I can't hear him as anyone other than that)
Haley: Tara Strong
V: Karen Strassman (Can do a pretty good androgynous voice)
Belkar: Dave Wittenberg (I always pictured his as sounding like Teddie from Persona 4)
Durkon: Steve Blum (He has the range)

Nale: Cam Clarke
Sabine: Tara Platt
Thog: Dave Wittenberg (he has the range)

Miko: Jennifer Hale
Shojo: Geroge Takei

Xykon: Doug Bradley
Redcloak: Liam O'Brien
Tsukiko: Michelle Ruff
MitD: Dave Wittenberg

PsychoticDwarf
2012-08-04, 08:38 AM
I always imagine V with the same voice as Edwin from BG

The Extinguisher
2012-08-04, 06:28 PM
Xykon is a very Rowan Atkinson (Johnny English, Black Adder) sounding fellow in my head. The confident, cold hearted bastard Atkinson, not the suck-up R.A.

I changed my mind. I want this to be mine now too.

Hogwarts9876
2012-08-04, 09:11 PM
Ever since Gannji said, "Oh boy!", I've heard his voice as a Bugs Bunny-ish one. Also, Xykon is Horrible Histories' Grim Reaper to me, but I don't really hear anyone else as anyone in particular.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-08-04, 09:21 PM
Durkon: Sean Connery.

GSFB
2012-08-06, 07:11 PM
I always hear Xykon as George Carlin.

The ideal V voice would be Lindsay Crouse.

Knellroy
2012-08-06, 07:49 PM
my own,
as I'm reading it. ;)

stsasser
2012-08-06, 07:54 PM
Xykon: Strongbad

Grey Watcher
2012-08-07, 12:24 AM

Heh, thanks to the convoluted way my mind works, I'm now hearing Redcloak's lines as if they were done by Rowan Atkinson in Blackadder the Third.

ben-zayb
2012-08-07, 12:53 AM
Me too...cannot unhear...

Durkon: John Rhys Davies
THIS.

Also:
V: Orlando Bloom's Legolas
Belkar: Invader Zim
Thog: Patrick Star

Firewind
2012-08-07, 09:59 AM
Ever since Gannji said, "Oh boy!", I've heard his voice as a Bugs Bunny-ish one. Also, Xykon is Horrible Histories' Grim Reaper to me, but I don't really hear anyone else as anyone in particular.

Actually I did picture Xykon's voice as like that when he was still human in Start of Darkness. It does fit him.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-07, 10:13 AM
Everyone is voiced by Morgan Freeman. Even Haley.:smallcool:

Ashen Lilies
2012-08-07, 11:05 AM
Mine. Only slightly different depending on the character.
Yeah, I don't do the whole 'celebrity voices' thing. Sometimes I try, but usually I forget. >.>

Zubrowka74
2012-08-07, 11:33 AM
Durkon: Sean Connery.

Same here, only I get the SNL parody version, slightly drunker.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-08-07, 03:04 PM
They all sound like my voice, and if they have an accent, me doing the accented voice :smallfrown: I'm not good at subconcious sound editing.

Grey Watcher
2012-08-08, 02:19 AM
Everyone is voiced by Morgan Freeman. Even Haley.:smallcool:

Especially Haley.

Zombie of tap
2012-08-08, 12:34 PM
Thog: Cookie Monster.

Nxd6+!?
2012-08-08, 02:57 PM
Longtime lurker, first-time poster...anyway.

V: Grey DeLisle
Haley: Mae Whitman

JCAll
2012-08-08, 09:30 PM
The IFCC are Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Vincent Price.

Marlowe
2012-08-10, 06:14 AM
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:YES.:smallsmile::small eek:

Souhiro
2012-08-10, 07:07 AM
Roy: Barak Obama
Father: Barak Obama, buth with some weezing
Grandfather: Barak Obama, imiting Kamina
Sister: Michelle Obama

Elan: Miliki (An old spanish clown)
Haley: Marilyn Monroe
Durkon: My uncle.
V: Arcee (Transformers 86 movie, the only female)
Blackwing: Optumis Prime (First Series)
Belkar: Heath Ledger's Joker

O'Chul: Chuck Norris
Lord Shojo: A Dalai-Lama-like voice
Lord Hinjo: Ruroni Kenshin

Xykon: An unearthly deep hiss. When he was alive, I imagined him with a teen voice. Even when he was old!
Redcloak: An anoying voice, that you cannot help to wish he was obliterated, and then resurrected just to be obliterated again!!

B. Dandelion
2012-08-10, 09:42 AM
I don't have a particular person's voice in mind for Thog, but he does have the same voice in my head as Skull from PvP Comic. Kind of sounds like the big good-guy gargoyle from Gargoyles. Either Brooklyn or Bronx.

Broadway. Brooklyn's the thin red one, and Bronx is the dog.

Broadway's not really that dumb, but when he does sound dumb... yeah, that works.

Now that I'm in Gargoyles mode I'm imagining Jonathan Frakes (aka TNG's Riker) as Tarquin, since he's definitely the most Xanatosian figure around.

Though really I don't hear anyone in particular in my head. I wish I did....

JessGulbranson
2012-08-10, 04:48 PM
I love fantasy casting threads- but also hate them, because in most cases people tend to cast based on appearance. Which is its own kettle of fish. My own castings tend to be reasonably random...

Roy: Will Ferrell
Elan: David Duchovny (old fantasy casting joke)
Haley: Holly Hunter
Belkar: MC Chris
V: Terence Stamp
Durkon: Billy Connoly

Xykon: Gotta second John Hurt on this. Can't you just hear him doing the "style can slide" speech?
Redcloak: Morgan Freeman (needlessly obscure "Shawshank Redemption" joke)
Tarquin: Saw Keith David mentioned somewhere... think he'd be perfect for the smooth evil warlord.

RossN
2012-08-11, 03:52 PM
Only a few have leapt out at me. Tarquin strikes me very much as Liam Neeson, in Ra's al Ghul mode.

O-Chul is Ken Watanabe. Crystal is Sarah Silverman (though I can also picture Silverman playing Tsukiko). Redcloak is David Mitchell.

For some reason I have a lot more trouble casting the regulars than recurring characters. V and Elan are particularly to crack, the former to get an androgynus voice, the latter because ideally the actor should be playing Nale too so has to be versatile.

Aasimar
2012-08-11, 05:02 PM
As I'm reading the archives, I'm finding that David Hyde-Pierce is the voice of Redcloak in my mind. (that would probably make Kelsey Grammer Right Eye)

Grey Watcher
2012-08-13, 04:41 PM
As I'm reading the archives, I'm finding that David Hyde-Pierce is the voice of Redcloak in my mind. (that would probably make Kelsey Grammer Right Eye)

And John Mahoney as the previous Bearer of the Crimson Mantle?

Grail
2012-08-13, 11:59 PM
Nale - Ricky Gervais

Aasimar
2012-08-14, 03:38 AM
And John Mahoney as the previous Bearer of the Crimson Mantle?

Actually, I'd rather make him the Dark One.

Can't you just hear him saying "Don't mess this up. No pressure though"?

(would it be more appropriate for the Monster in the Darkness or the Snarl to be Maris in this little game?)

ThatNickGuy
2012-08-15, 10:44 PM
Hey guys, I'm totally new here, so bear with me. I have another forum I frequent and another would be too much, so I'll probably be pretty sparse in my posting. Anyway, voices!

Roy: Jason Segal (not black, but he has that deep, manly, warrior voice, but also the perfect voice for screaming when he's frustrated. Plus, he and Neil Patrick Harris have awesome chemistry, which means...)
Elan: Neil Patrick Harris (singing!)
V: Hugo Weaving (seriously, just read one of his speeches aloud)
Durkon: Gary Schwartz (voice of the Demoman in Team Fortress 2)
Haley: Karen Gillan (aka: Amy Pond from Doctor Who)
Belkar: Gilbert Godfried (try unhearing that)

Nale: Neil Patrick Harris (twins, dammit! How else is Nale supposed to fool people into thinking he's his brother?)
Sabine: Gina Torres
Thog: Greg Berger (famous playing Grimlock on Transformers)

Xyklon: Nathan Fillon
Redcloak: David-Hyde Pierce, as Aasimar suggested. I won't unhear that, now.

Not sure about the rest, like Miko and such, except for one exception:

MitD: Prepare to have this stuck in your brain, folks because I sure can't....Patrick Warburton. I've been reading through the books recently and suddenly, MitD's lines just read like something Warburton would say, especially if he were doing The Tick, again.

Turgon9357
2012-09-14, 07:54 PM
I've always heard Xykon's voice as about the same as the voice of Skeletor when he's on Robot Chicken. Maybe a bit more screamy.

Edit: Okay, a lot more screamy. And airy.

Joe the Rat
2012-09-16, 10:49 PM
I'd not really thought much about it - they're all fairly generic in my head.

Although Elan tends to come up Will Friedle in my head (He's very Ron Stoppable in his disappointments).

Durkon sounds like me doing a bad Dwarf-Scotch accent.

And every Kobold has a graty nasal voice, because I always used a graty nasal voice for Kobolds. Yes, including Yokyok. Yes, even when I play them in live games.

I'm not allowed to play them in live games anymore.

Thump
2012-09-19, 09:05 AM
Redcloak=Matt Smith.

That is all.

Prophet_of_Io
2012-09-20, 03:57 AM
Norm Macdonald voices the entire IFCC, at least the Directors.

That's all I got right now, maybe I'll do a full list later.

Also, I don't know why but I see Belkar sounding a little like an evil Fry from Futurama...

jaxy15
2012-09-21, 08:35 AM
I keep hearing Durkon with Mr. Krabs' voice for some reason.

TheBST
2012-09-23, 03:41 PM
Also, I don't know why but I see Belkar sounding a little like an evil Fry from Futurama...

Funny, normal Fry is how I hear Elan...

Odd to see all the English actors for Xykon. Given his attitude, I hear him as a more of an American Jock-type- like a high-school bully with some spooky reverb going on.

MiTD? Eddie Izzard.

baf
2012-09-25, 09:34 PM
There's a moment in Return of the Jedi where where Luke, prisoner on the Emperor's ship, glances briefly at the lightsaber they took away from him, and the Emperor notices. "You want this?" he says, in a mocking and amused voice that lets you know that, although his sense of humor is twisted and evil, he still has one. That is how I hear Xykon.

It should probably be noted that Xykon hears himself as James Earl Jones, or at least did in Start of Darkness. But I don't hear him that way. The only character I personally ever heard with anything like that kind of deep, resonant voice was Kubota.

Elan's goofy amiability always suggested a touch of Jim Henson in his voice to me, but just a touch. And whoever's doing the voice acting for Elan would have to drop that completely when he does Nale.

Thog sounds a lot like Strong Mad to me.

ti'esar
2012-09-25, 11:51 PM
It should probably be noted that Xykon hears himself as James Earl Jones, or at least did in Start of Darkness. But I don't hear him that way. The only character I personally ever heard with anything like that kind of deep, resonant voice was Kubota.

Actually, Xykon compares himself to James Earl Jones after he becomes a lich and his voice gets the reverb/black speech bubble effect. It's obviously more about that then anything else.

In fact, that's the only time I can think of where we've been given a clue as to exactly what a particular colored speech bubble would "really" sound like. People's thoughts on what others would sound like could be a thread in its own right (some of them are pretty obvious, of course).

Deathkeeper
2012-09-26, 12:32 AM
Broadway's not really that dumb, but when he does sound dumb... yeah, that works.

Though really I don't hear anyone in particular in my head. I wish I did....

Which was always ironic to me, when he got pissed off (which was what, 3 times?) he was one of the scariest dudes in the show.

And yeah, I remember the voice of almost any character I hear, but rarely the name to go with it, so I never actually know the voices I attach to the characters. It really, really annoys me.

CletusMusashi
2012-09-26, 12:50 AM
Some of the suggestions for Xykon here are great. Mel Brooks as a happily evil superviallin who people mistake for being friendlier than he is? I could see that. George Carlin as a guy who's seen it all, hates it all, and finds watching it all crash and burn absolutely hilarious? Hell, that was pretty much half his act. And he was GREAT at it.

But nonetheless, it doesn't matter to my inner voice actor. Because Xykon absolutely always ends up trying to sound like Jack Nicholson. Even way back when it as explained in-canon that he sounds like Darth Vader, I couldn't make it stick. Xykon's writing just screams Jack Nicholson.

Julio Scoundrel is either John Astin or Bruce Campbell, depending on my mood.

Can identical twins have different voice actors? I think they can. Wil Wheaton as Nale, impersonating Elan by doing an impersonation of Neil Patrick Harris doing Elan, may not nail any world records for most coherant sentence about Nale nail Not-Nale with Nale Neil Not-Nale, but it does actually match up pretty well with how I "read" the voices.

Tarquin, no matter what line it is I'm reading, is Shatner. And probably vice versa. Who knows how many empires are secretly controlled by Shatner? Regular great actors are bards. Great over-actors are Overbards. They gain superhuman Charisma through consumption of scenery. Back in the 80s, there was another great Overbard who made the mistake of giving Shatner a run for his money. R.I.P., Mr. Montalban...

Kobuta and Therkla are Daniel Dae Kim and Eliza Dushku.

I think all of my other opinions fall more into the category of actual casting choices, as in "if you had to go out and choose someone, who would come closest?". The ones I've listed in this thread just cover voices that I actually automatically "hear."

TwylyghT
2012-09-26, 01:52 PM
Sabine = Madeline Kahn
Xykon = Frank Welker
Malack = Chris Latta
O-Chul = Ken Watanabe
V = Scott Baio (Family Guy made me think this one up and it stuck lol)

Kalmageddon
2012-09-26, 04:03 PM
Elan: Jesse Cox
It fits so well!

Also, Xykon as Robot Chicken Skeletor for me as well!

Dr.Epic
2012-09-26, 05:32 PM
For some reason I hear the Teen Girl Squad voices for the characters. Not sure why.

stabbybelkar
2012-09-26, 06:52 PM
Elan: Jesse Cox
It fits so well!

Also, Xykon as Robot Chicken Skeletor for me as well!

I'm now stuck hearing Roy as TotalBiscuit. Thanks for that.

Kalmageddon
2012-09-29, 03:39 PM
I'm now stuck hearing Roy as TotalBiscuit. Thanks for that.

Welcome to the club!:smallbiggrin:
I forgot to mention that that's exactly how I imagine Roy to sound!