PDA

View Full Version : Translocation Adept (3.5, Spellshaping) (PEACH)

The-Mage-King
2012-08-01, 11:39 PM
Translocation Adept

While some spellshapers (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=64.0) have minor knowledge of teleportation, there are few who think to focus on it. Those few are known as Translocation Adepts, and have created practically an entirely new circle focused on their arts.

Entry Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 10 ranks, Knowledge (Geography) 5 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks
Feats: Shaper's Stride
Arcane Formulae: Must be able to shape formulae of at least 4th level.

LevelBABFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecialFormulae KnownFormulae Prepared1+0+0+2+0Translocation Formulae, 11
2+1+0+3+0Teleport 1/Day10
3+1+1+3+1Fast Movement +10 feet10
4+2+1+4+1Plane Shift, 11
5+2+1+4+1Teleport 2/Day10
6+3+2+5+2Call to hand10
7+3+2+5+2Greater Teleport11
8+4+2+6+2Fast Movement +20 feet10
9+4+3+6+310
10+5+3+7+3Teleport 3/Day, Translocation Mastery11

Hit Die: D4
Class Skills: The Translocation Adept’s class skills are Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Profession, and Spellcraft.
Skill Points at each level: 2+Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Translocation Adept gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Formulae: At each level, you gain a new formula known--either a translocation formula (see below) or a formula from any of the circles to which you have access. In addition to meeting the formula’s prerequisite, your spellshaping ability score must be equal to at least 10 + the formula’s level in order to learn it. You add your full Translocation Adept levels to your shaper level to determine your total shaper level and your highest-level formulae known.

At each first level and every three levels thereafter, you gain an additional formula prepared per day.

Translocation Formulae: Unlike most Spellshapers, you have focused not on delivering effects through your spellshape attacks, but on using magic to move. As a Translocation Adept, you have the ability to learn Translocation Formulae. At first, you can only learn Translocation Formulae from Translocation Adept levels (See Translocation Mastery).

Translocation formulae do not have the normal arrangement of levels- the lowest level one is 4th, due to the inherent control required to manipulate the fabric of space in the manner it takes to use them.

Teleport (Sp): At 2nd level, you may use teleport as a spell-like ability, once per day. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, you may use it an additional time each day.

Plane Shift: Beginning at 4th level, by expending a use of your teleport SLA, you may plane shift, as the spell.

Call to Hand (Su): At 6th level, you have attained enough mastery of the art of teleportation that you can teleport small objects with just a thought. As a free action once per round, you may teleport an unattended item within 30 feet of you to your hand. This item must weigh no more than 10 lbs, and must be able to be held in one hand.

Greater Teleport: Beginning at 7th level, by expending a use of your teleport SLA, you may use greater teleport, as the spell.

Translocation Mastery: At 10th level, you have completely mastered the art of teleportation, and are able to continue advancing it even through other paths. You can choose to learn translocation formulae from any spellshaping class in which you take levels, so long as those levels would allow you to learn formulae from any of the circles to which you normally have access.

Hold up while I post and format the formulae...

The-Mage-King
2012-08-01, 11:50 PM
Translocation Formulae

Spellshape Attack: None

Unlike most formulae, translocation formulae have no spellshape attack associated with them, due to mostly being defensive or utility related. If one requires an attack to be delivered, it is simply a ranged touch attack.

Furthermore, translocation formulae cannot be reshaped.

4th level
Transposition (Major)- Change the positions of two creatures
Slide (Major)- Move by teleportation
Dimension Warp (Major)- Harm a creature with teleportation

5th level
Transporter's Flicker (Major)- Become partially out of line with reality
Teleporter's Sidestep (Minor)- Avoid a ranged attack or spell
Teleporter's Flurry (Major)- Unleash a flurry of spellshapes

6th level
Dimension Step (Major)- Move by teleportation
Reposition (Major)- Move another creature to a different place

7th level
Planar Manifest (Major)- Force a plane's traits onto an area
Vanishing Warp (Major)- Obliterate a target by teleporting it to... Somewhere.

8th level
Teleporter's Dodge (Minor)- Avoid an attack or spell
Dimension Stride (Major)- Move by teleportation

9th level
Teleporting Barrage (Major)- Move around the battlefield, delivering an array of formulae to your foes

Formula descriptions
Dimension Step
Translocation (Major) [Teleportation]
Level: 6
Shaping action: 1 move action
Prerequisites: Two Translocation formulae
Range: Personal
Targets: You

A careful adjustment of dimensions, and you step out behind your foe, magic at the ready.

When you shape this formula. you may teleport a distance of up to your land speed, avoiding attacks of opportunity and movement hazards, such as difficult terrain. You must end your movement on a surface capable of supporting you.

Dimension Stride
Level: 8
Shaping action: Swift action
Prerequisites: Three Translocation formulae
Targets: You

You cover far more ground than you normally could, disappearing and reappearing in an instant.

When you shape this formula. you may teleport a distance of up to twice your land speed, avoiding attacks of opportunity and movement hazards, such as difficult terrain. You must end your movement on a surface capable of supporting you.

Dimension Warp
Translocation (Major)
Level: 4
Shaping action: 1 standard action
Range: Medium
Targets: One creature
Duration: 3 rounds
Saving Throw: Fort partial
Spell Resistance: No

Unleashing a misshapen teleportation matrix on the target, you move one part this way, and then twist the other that way, causing the victim to drop to his knees in agony.

As part of this formula, make a ranged touch attack. If it hits, your target takes 7d6 points of untyped damage, and is staggered for 3 rounds. If they succeed on a Fortitude save, they instead take 4d6 points of damage, and are staggered for one round.

Planar Manifest
Translocation (Major)
Level: 7
Shaping action: Full-round action
Area: 50 foot emanation
Duration: 5 rounds

Using yourself as a focus, you rip a small hole in the planar boundaries, unleashing some of the power of a plane onto the world.

When you first learn this formula, you must choose a plane to be associated with it. When you use this formula, you warp an area of reality around you, causing it to gain some of the chosen plane's traits. For the duration, it gains the Minor version of whatever elemental or alignment traits the chosen plane has, and whatever magic traits the plane has. No other traits manifest in the area.

Unlike most formulae, you may learn this multiple times. Each time, it is associated with a different plane.

Slide
Shaping action: Move action
Target: Self
Duration: Instantaneous

Stepping through a small fold in space-time, you reappear at your targeted location, leaving your foe speechless.

When you shape this formulae, you may teleport a distance equal to half of your land speed, avoiding attacks of opportunity and movement hazards, such as difficult terrain. You must arrive in a square capable of supporting you.

Reposition
Level: 6
Range: Close
Target: One creature or object
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Twisting the fabric of space around your target, you move it to another location.

When you shape this formula, target creature must make a Will save. If it fails, you may teleport it to any location within 100 feet of you. The location must be stable enough for the creature to stand on, and not innately hazardous or hostile to the creature.

Teleporter's Dodge
Translocation (Minor) [Teleportation]
Level: 8
Shaping action: Immediate action
Prerequisites: Four Translocation formulae

Seeing the attack approaching, you trigger one of your half-readied teleportation matrixes, vanishing and reappearing in a safer location.

You may shape this formula in response to an attack, ranged attack, touch attack, ranged touch attack, or targeted spell. Make a Spellcraft check, with a DC equal to the attack roll, or, in the case of a targeted spell, the save DC+2. If it succeeds, you may teleport up to 20 feet, avoiding the attack or spell, but are sickened for 1 round.

Teleporting Barrage
Level: 9
Prerequisites: 5 Translocation formula
Range: See text
Targets: See text

You set in motion a fearsome barrage of attacks, teleporting to the best location for each.

When you shape this formulae, you let loose a fierce assault, shaping formulae far faster than you normally could. For each attack you could make in a round derived from your base attack bonus, you may shape a 6th level or lower Major formula that has a shaping action of 1 standard action or less. You must have a formula prepared to use it in this manner, and it is expended normally. Between formulae, you may, as a free action, teleport a distance of up to your land speed. This may be split as you like, but your total movement between formulae may not exceed your land speed.

Teleporter's Flurry
Level: 5
Range: See text
Targets: See text

You trigger a series of high-speed teleportations, interspersing magical blasts and attacks between each.

When you shape this formula, you may make a full attack, using weapons or spellshape attacks as you wish. You may teleport up to your land speed between attacks, though your total movement may not exceed your land speed.

Teleporter's Sidestep
Translocation (Minor) [Teleportation]
Shaping action: Immediate action

Seeing the shot approaching, you quickly build and release a simple teleportation matrix, removing you from its path.

You may shape this formula in response to a ranged attack, ranged touch attack, or targeted spell. Make a Spellcraft check, with a DC equal to the attack roll, or, in the case of a targeted spell, the save DC+4. If it succeeds, you may teleport up to 10 feet, avoiding the attack or spell, but are sickened for 3 rounds.

Transporter's Flicker
Prerequisites: One Translocation formula
Range: Touch
Targets: 1 creature
Duration: 3 rounds

Placing your hand on the target, you shift them out of phase with reality, giving them a slight advantage.

When you shape this formula, the touched creature gains the effects of a blink spell until the duration expires.

Transposition
Range: Close
Targets: Two creatures
Saving Throw: Will negates

You twist space just right, depositing your ally in the flank of the enemy force, and their caster right in the middle of your melee fighters.

When you shape this formulae, you may change the positions of two creatures within the range through teleportation, which may include yourself. A successful Will save (DC 14+Shaping attribute) negates the effects of this formula, leaving both creatures where they started. You must have line of sight and effect to both creatures to use this formula.

Vanishing Warp
Translocation (Major)
Level: 7
Range: Medium
Targets: One creature, plus 1 additional creature per 4 levels
Saving Throw: Fort partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

The intentionally malformed teleportation matrix hits home, causing the space around your targets to twist oddly, distorting their appearances.

When you shape this formula, each target must make a Fortitude save or take 14d6 points of untyped damage. If they are brought to 0 or fewer hit points , they are utterly destroyed, their remains pulled into a hole in space. If they succeed on the Fortitude save, they instead take 8d6 points of damage, and are staggered for 3 rounds.

Done. Feel free to post.

DonQuixote
2012-08-02, 07:13 PM
I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. But this is fantastic. I had actually been being bothered recently by the fact that spellshapers couldn't do much non-combat magic, and this really sets a lot of those fears aside.

Teleporting Barrage is definitely fun. Especially since, with Shaper's Stride, you can use it to move 950 feet in a round at 20th level. Or, if you have the aura of Blustering Gale, 1010 feet. I don't really have a problem with this one--it seems awesome, and you're a dedicated teleporter. That's basically just a dimension door, anyway.

I'd like to criticize something, but I just can't think of anything that sticks out at me. The Translocation Formulae all work pretty well, and deal with the whole "damaging teleportation" issue with elegance.

All in all, a damn fine piece of work!

The-Mage-King
2012-08-02, 10:23 PM
I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. But this is fantastic. I had actually been being bothered recently by the fact that spellshapers couldn't do much non-combat magic, and this really sets a lot of those fears aside.

Eh. Most of the teleportation is of the tactical sort, so it's only really useful in combat. Out of combat, though... That's what the SLAs are for.

Teleporting Barrage is definitely fun. Especially since, with Shaper's Stride, you can use it to move 950 feet in a round at 20th level. Or, if you have the aura of Blustering Gale, 1010 feet. I don't really have a problem with this one--it seems awesome, and you're a dedicated teleporter. That's basically just a dimension door, anyway.

Yeah, I figuredthe "capstone" should be something awesome, but not game breaking. Thus, that. It's, at best, 3 6th level formulae in one round, with teleportation. Three 3rd level ones, if stride is used.

I'd like to criticize something, but I just can't think of anything that sticks out at me. The Translocation Formulae all work pretty well, and deal with the whole "damaging teleportation" issue with elegance.

Well, I'm not too sure about the "counter"s. Most other stuff, I feel is at least somewhat reasonable, but... Well, reflexive teleportation is almost inherently overpowered.

All in all, a damn fine piece of work!

Thanks, then.

DonQuixote
2012-08-03, 04:25 PM
Eh. Most of the teleportation is of the tactical sort, so it's only really useful in combat. Out of combat, though... That's what the SLAs are for.

Well, as I pointed out, you can technically use some of the formulae for moving quickly outside of combat scenarios. But I was actually referring to the SLAs with that comment--while there are a few ways to get transportation abilities with spellshapers, this is the most generally available one, as well as the most reliable.

Yeah, I figuredthe "capstone" should be something awesome, but not game breaking. Thus, that. It's, at best, 3 6th level formulae in one round, with teleportation. Three 3rd level ones, if stride is used.

It is pretty awesome, and I'm now really tempted to play Wizzrobe in some one-shot.

I think the one thing that might need to be clarified is whether you make the attacks for each formula at your full attack bonus or take the -5 penalty for iterative attacks.

Well, I'm not too sure about the "counter"s. Most other stuff, I feel is at least somewhat reasonable, but... Well, reflexive teleportation is almost inherently overpowered.

I don't really feel that it's any more overpowered than any other ability that would let you take an immediate action to negate an attack. I could be wrong, of course, but I would say that it never crosses over from "powerful" to "overpowered."

SamBurke
2012-08-03, 04:37 PM
Good to see more attention to that awesome homebrew!