PDA

View Full Version : Basic [insert element name here] Optimization.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-08-02, 05:46 AM
Hello, y'all!

I am making a build that uses different daggers to do different things. He's a Pixie Binder/Rogue (Somewhat odd combo, I know) that uses daggers as both his implements and his weapons.

I have gone a slight-bit of Frostcheese by combining a Frost Dagger, Wintertouched, and Lasting Frost, and a bit of Lightning Cheese with a Lightning Weapon, Mark of Storm, and Deadly Draw.

I don't want to fully optimize on only those two elements, but would rather invest into a few other elements. I am not sure what elements I want to go with, though, and don't know what kinds of feats or weapons I should look into. One of my At-Wills with the Binder does Psychic damage, so I don't know if maybe that's a route I should look into. I am aware that it would be more optimal to focus on lightning and frost cheeses, but I'd rather not, to be honset.

Basically, what should I look into for other interesting combinations involving other elements?

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-08-02, 08:22 PM
I went with the Warlock/Rogue instead, because someone suggested it to me.

My build idea with this one is to attack, then move and become hidden repeatedly. I have Fleeting Ghost as my level 2 utility, so I am always going for stealth.

Right now, I'm starting this build at level 5. I have Arcane Implement Proficiency so I can use my daggers as implements for attack bonuses and Dual Implement Spellcaster so I can use both implements with arcane attacks (which I do often). My current bonus to stealth is 13, so I'm considering taking the feat that'll give me an added +3 bonus to stealth, or maye some kind of magic item, or maybe both?

What do y'all think?

Ashdate
2012-08-02, 10:53 PM
Right now, I'm starting this build at level 5. I have Arcane Implement Proficiency so I can use my daggers as implements for attack bonuses and Dual Implement Spellcaster so I can use both implements with arcane attacks (which I do often). My current bonus to stealth is 13, so I'm considering taking the feat that'll give me an added +3 bonus to stealth, or maye some kind of magic item, or maybe both?

What do y'all think?

As stealth is usually an opposed check (versus insight), the question you have to ask yourself is how much of a bonus is "worth it". Against an equal level creature with an above average wisdom (14) and training in perception, that's a passive perception of 19, meaning that you have a 75% chance of meeting/beating it.

From a skill challenge perspective, you can pass any "easy" or "moderate" stealth check at level 5 with a +13 without even needing to roll (using DMG pg 42 values). You would have an 85% chance of success at passing a "hard" Stealth check.

Thus, if you really wanted more stealth, I would go with a magic item; spending a feat for say, Skill Focus, seems a bit like overkill.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-08-03, 12:14 AM
Ashdate - Thank you for the statistics. With the build I worked it the way now, I have +17 in Stealth, and now I'm seeing that maybe I can ease up a bit and put feats/items in different areas.

Can you tell me what the specific use of Fleeting Ghost is? I'm little confused. Normally you need superior cover or total concealment to make a stealth check, but Fleeting Ghost lets you make it regardless.

Can someone use it in plain sight to become hidden? If not, what is the power actually supposed to do?

Ashdate
2012-08-03, 12:39 AM
Can you tell me what the specific use of Fleeting Ghost is? I'm little confused. Normally you need superior cover or total concealment to make a stealth check, but Fleeting Ghost lets you make it regardless.

Can someone use it in plain sight to become hidden? If not, what is the power actually supposed to do?

The benefit to the power is that you can use your full move and make a stealth check at the end of it without a penalty; normally you take a -5 penalty if you move more than two squares.

Note that you still need concealment to make a stealth check with Fleeting Ghost; it just makes it easier to do by loosening some of the requirements.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-08-03, 12:56 AM
Okay. Thank you so much!

What would you recommend in build ideas as far as feats or magic items are concerned?

Ashdate
2012-08-03, 01:08 AM
Okay. Thank you so much!

What would you recommend in build ideas as far as feats or magic items are concerned?

I'm unfortunately more of a DM than a player, so I'm not the one to ask for advice on builds. There are optimization guides such as this one (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29060077/Han_Shot_First:_A_Scoundrels_Guide) which will tell you which items are good (from an optimization perspective).

Otherwise, it really depends on you, your comrades, and the kind of game that your DM runs; characters in 4e are rarely underpowered to the degree that even "suboptimal" choices will put you too far behind, so if you think you can, pick whatever makes it feel like YOUR character. Otherwise, grab anything in light blue or gold and have a blast stabbing things in the back!

Adoendithas
2012-08-03, 09:04 AM
And, of course, Fleeting Ghost is especially good since a warlock gains concealment from movement, which would let you make the check.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-08-03, 07:17 PM
Here's what I have for level 5;

Race: Lady-Pixie
Class: Hybrid Warlock/Rogue
Pact: Fey Pact
Background: None for this campaign
Theme: None for this campaign

Starting Ability Scores (post racial): Str 10, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 18
Final Ability Scores: Str 10, Con 10, Dex 19, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 19.

HP 32, Bloodied 17, Surge Value 8. Surges: 6.

AC 19
Fort 13
Ref 18
Will 18

Feats:
1 Practiced Killer
2 Assassin's Cloak
4 Cursed Shadow

Items;
+1 Amulet of Life
+1 Gloves of Agility
+1 Vigorous Resolve (cloth)
+1 Vicious Rod
+1 Frost Dagger

Powers:

At-Will
Eyebite
Sky Flourish

Encounter
One-Two Punch
Pipes of Winter

Daily
Malicious Shadow
Bat Aside

Utility
Fleeting Ghost
(My DM and I are still a little fuzzy on the rules, too)

My stealth is currently +14. Should I boost it higher?

I also still have 1,600 gold in my budget.

Tegu8788
2012-08-03, 11:52 PM
If you boost anything, boost your Fortitude, it's very low.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-08-03, 11:57 PM
It has been a problem in playtesting. What do you recommend?

Edit - I'm making this build to get hidden and stay hidden. If I can pull it off well, then my defences may not be as important. I know it's stupid, but can someone tell me why?