PDA

View Full Version : Spy vs Spy in magical Darkness.

Amfini
2012-08-02, 07:42 AM
Hello.

My brother and I have made 2 characters who are duking it out.
His is a tiny kobold with the shadow template, and is a warlock.
Mine is a Rogue. And let's say that he is level 3 (LA+2) and my rogue is level 5.

Long story short, some questions:

So the kobold creates 40' of magical darkness and due to warlock incantation, he can see perfectly in it. Can my rogue hide in magical darkness if he is being observed by the cobold?

If he is already hiding, can he still hide and move around normally, while the cobold is watching?

How would one, as a rogue go about defeating the kobold? As the Kobold is seemingly permanently invisible and has concealment and is probably hiding.

In advance. Thank you for any clarification. :smallsmile:

Umbranar
2012-08-02, 08:04 AM
I think thats a double negative but im not sure.
The other character can see in magical darkness meaning you need hide in plain sight. If there are no object to gain cover from or other effect that grant you concealment (which is negated by his "Darksight") you can not hide.

You can not sneak attack him because he has concealment from you aswell.
Best bet is not to go rogue at all, unless you got Use Magic Device and a scroll of Ebon Eyes/Blind Sight. Especially blindsight with a smokestick can win you the game (negates concealment and you see in both the smoke and his darkness meaning you can sneak attack). Just carry the smoke stick with you all the time, this way you have concealment and so you can hide.

Amfini
2012-08-02, 08:11 AM
Ok, so i can't enter Hide-mode.
But if I am already hiding when i enter the kobold's room, do i get instantly revealed? Or do he have to succeed a spot check? Do the Rogue get any penalties to hide since the kobold can see in darkness? Or do the Kobold gain any bonuses to Spot instead?

"I cast fireball towards the darkness" sounds fun, the tricky part was taking the little bugger down as a Rogue. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2012-08-02, 09:17 AM
If you have some form of cover other than the darkness then you can still try to hide. If not, then you're effectively out in the open (the darkness itself provides no concealment to you) and can no longer hide.

But keep in mind that he's not exactly invisible himself (unless he's using something other than the darkness to hide too.) Darkness in 3.5 only grants shadowy illumination and his Devil's Sight only works within 30 ft. He can make a Hide check to stay invisible to you, but he has to beat your Spot check; in addition, if he attacks you, moves quickly etc. he'll take any appropriate penalties.