PDA

View Full Version : Make me a good PF character (Magus?)

Brock Samson
2012-08-02, 03:42 PM
Hey all! Getting ready to start my second ever PF campaign here soon (1st one made it to level 6 and is now on hiatus for the DM's classes). I have not looked through the books that much, but am quite familiar with 3.5.

I'm looking to make a character who... well doesn't suck. I'd like to be at least moderately powerful. I believe our group is going to consist of a Monk (not sure what paths but I'm sure he'll be decent), a Goblin alchemist, a Paladin, and me. I was thinking of making a Magus, as I've heard they're pretty good gish-in-a-box's, but I'm slightly confused by some of the exact mechanics, and was looking for advice in general.

My other idea was to go Vivisectionist Alchemist (possibly with 3 or so levels of Gunslinger). If people want to make a case for that let me know. My last character was a straight Ninja, and I liked her a lot (played with 20 Strength and 16 Dex at level one, I KILLED, even without Sneak Attack).

Now my stats have been rolled but unfortunately I do no have the paper here. I do know that I have an 18, 17, pretty sure also the others are betwen 12-15, and one 9 for sure.

I'm open to other suggestions as well for classes, I just don't want to find myself wanting for power, and I don't want to be someone who can Nova one encounter but then is out of spells and useless.

I was thinking of playing either a Goblin or a Stryx (?) - they're a monster class that gets Natural flight, which I find very smexy.

Psyren
2012-08-02, 04:04 PM
Before you settle on Magus, find out what archetypes the Alchemist and Monk are using. And the Paladin too for that matter. You don't want 3-4 frontline fighters and no utility caster/ranged, after all.

If those first two are going melee, consider being a support/ranged caster like Wizard, Witch, Cleric, or Oracle. If the Alchemist is going ranged/Strangelob however (very likely since he's a goblin) then Magus is a good choice. If the Paladin and Monk are being archers, go ahead with Magus to shore up the front line.

You could also get around the uncertainty by being a Summoner, as then you'll be able to contribute and fill gaps well no matter what the others plan on doing.

What level are you starting at?

Brock Samson
2012-08-02, 04:17 PM
Starting at level 1.

I believe the Alchemist is basically a mad bomber, he's taking something that lets his bombs blow up with a 20 ft radius instead of 5. The Paladin will, I'm sure, be all melee. And the monk doesn't even know yet.

Brock Samson
2012-08-03, 12:09 PM
Anyone? Help please?

Brock Samson
2012-08-04, 11:58 AM
*bump* Anyone? Help on making a Magus?

Bosaxon
2012-08-04, 06:28 PM
I'm going to direct you to a good magus handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1DB6sOfbAzFmKVPgcyLWipTVqvWFjfDSv6v_YiGQb5Y w). I'm currently playing one in Carrion Crown and it's our primary frontliner (besides the Druid's Tiger). I went a Dex-base with the Dervish Dance feat and Bladebound archetype, and it's not uncommon that I do 50+ damage a round with four attacks at level 9. I'm getting ready to transition him to a Duelist though, as my casting isn't needed right now and I use it mostly for self-buff and spellstrike spell combat.

Aemoh87
2012-08-04, 07:54 PM
*bump* Anyone? Help on making a Magus?

How about you make me a sandwhich and ask us for help instead of a premade character?