PDA

View Full Version : ToB Bloodstorm Blade AoO

MagnusV
2012-08-02, 04:45 PM
Ok judging by the wording of Bloodstorm Blade Prestige it sounds like you could make an attack of oppurtinity by throwing a weapon...

Using Thunderous Throw makes a thrown weapon as a melee attack.. does this mean you also threaten all squares you could reach with the reach of the thrown weapon?

Tomb of Battle Page 101:
Thunderous
Throw (Ex):
Beginning
at 2nd level,
you build up
incredible tension
as you ready
yourself to throw
your weapon,
which becomes
visible around
you like heat waves.
When you release
your weapon, that power
rushes out with your weapon.
As a swift action, you can choose to treat your
ranged attack rolls with thrown weapons as melee attacks
for the rest of your turn. You use your melee attack bonus,
including Strength bonus, feats, and so forth, to determine
your attack bonus for each attack as normal, but you apply the
standard modifi ers for range penalties. Attacking into melee,
through cover, and so forth incurs the standard penalties.
In addition, you can apply 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus
to damage if you wield the thrown weapon with two hands,
and you can use Power Attack with your thrown weapon

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-02, 04:48 PM
I would say no.

A) It says ranged attack rolls, not ranged attacks
and
B) It also says that it is not entirely like a melee attack (still incurs penalties for firing into melee, etc)

A_S
2012-08-02, 04:49 PM
Swift action activation, and only lasts through your turn. I'd rule that it does allow AoO's, but it'll only come up in weird corner cases where somebody manages to do something that provokes an AoO as an immediate action during your turn. It wears off at the end of your turn, which is when the vast majority of AoO's actually happen.

So, for practical purposes, no dice.

Sucrose
2012-08-02, 04:50 PM
Attacks of opportunity, barring some sort of immediate action that provokes an AoO, are taken during the turn of whoever is provoking the AoO. Thunderous Throw lasts only until the end of the Bloodstorm Blade's turn. That, in and of itself, eliminates the idea of making AoOs in this manner for most circumstances.

Past that, I am not an expert on the wording, but I don't believe that it says anything about making squares that you can throw into become threatened squares, only that you resolve your normal thrown attacks as though they were melee attacks.

So, I know this doesn't work in most cases, and believe that it doesn't work in any case.

limejuicepowder
2012-08-02, 10:57 PM
If it did allow AoO, couldn't he just delay and act on the same initiative count as his opponent? This would only work against one person of course, but if that's the only problem it would be one way around it. Good against the BBEG anyways, especially a caster.

NEO|Phyte
2012-08-02, 11:02 PM
Past that, I am not an expert on the wording, but I don't believe that it says anything about making squares that you can throw into become threatened squares, only that you resolve your normal thrown attacks as though they were melee attacks.
I'd need to dig up my ToB to confirm, but IIRC Thunderous Throw makes your thrown attacks be treated as melee attacks. Threatened squares are defined as those you can make a melee attack into (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm#threatenedSquares). One can imagine the shenanigans if Thunderous Throw persisted past your own turn.
:edit: maybe I should have looked at the OP closer, it has the text of thunderous throw right there.

Medic!
2012-08-02, 11:55 PM
It only says you treat your ranged attack rolls for your turn as melee attacks, not that you treat your ranged weapons as melee weapons. Nothing in the ability text states that you can threaten with your thrown weapons. It would work along the same lines as a whip...mechanically a ranged weapon, but it uses a melee attack roll. Still wouldn't allow you to AoO in and of itself.

MagnusV
2012-08-03, 10:39 AM
Then is there a Prestige or feat that would allow me to use thrown weapons for attacks of opportunity and threaten squares that i can throw into?

Medic!
2012-08-03, 11:14 AM
There is a feat that lets you threaten with ranged weapons, but if I remember right it's from a source I don't have a copy of...this being the Playground, someone knows what I'm talkin about!

Kansaschaser
2012-08-03, 11:42 AM
Then is there a Prestige or feat that would allow me to use thrown weapons for attacks of opportunity and threaten squares that i can throw into?

I think there is an Epic feat that allows you to "threaten" with a ranged weapon in a certain area. I think it only applies to your first range incriment. Also, I don't recall the name of the feat.

Answerer
2012-08-03, 12:10 PM
whip...mechanically a ranged weapon, but it uses a melee attack roll.
That hasn't been true since 3.0.

Medic!
2012-08-03, 12:28 PM
In 3.5 a whip is classified as a melee weapon, but mechanically it still behaves like a ranged weapon. It doesn't threaten, provokes an AoO, etc

Answerer
2012-08-03, 12:30 PM
In 3.5 a whip is classified as a melee weapon, but mechanically it still behaves like a ranged weapon. It doesn't threaten, provokes an AoO, etc
It has a series of exceptions and caveats on its behavior, yes.

Several of these are similar to the limitations on ranged weapons, yes.

That does not make it a ranged weapon, which is what you said. And there are a lot of important reasons why it is not considered a ranged weapon for anything at all ever. This was an intentional change from 3.0 to 3.5 because the prior rule was confusing, often contradictory or at least ambiguous, and made no sense.

Person_Man
2012-08-03, 12:36 PM
There is a feat that lets you threaten with ranged weapons, but if I remember right it's from a source I don't have a copy of...this being the Playground, someone knows what I'm talkin about!

You might be thinking of Arrow Mind, the Immediate Action Ranger 1 spell (Spell Comp) which allows you to you threaten adjacent squares with your bow and do provoke attacks of opportunity when firing. But that basically just lets you attack without having to take a 5 ft step - it doesn't let you threaten at a range.

FYI, if you do want to threaten a wide distance, there are plenty of ways (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777) to get bigger and/or increase your reach. Just playing a Psychic Warrior with the Expansion power and a reach weapon can get you 30 feet. With Aberration Blood -> Inhuman Reach -> Extended Reach Feats pushes it up to 50 feet. That should suffice for 90% of combats, and you can even take Mage Slayer if you want (as it doesn't interfere with Psioncis).