PDA

View Full Version : "A little snip there, a little tuck there..."[3.5, Artifact]

Amechra
2012-08-02, 09:16 PM
I woke up on a table, strapped down and helpless; I managed, with some effort, to glance over to my left, and nearly sank back into unconsciousness.

I saw a plethora of tools, from scalpels and trepanation drills to artificial leaches. All of them were coated in rust, and next to them sat a bucket of cold water.

A man, his face obscured by a mask, came into my field of view, leaned over, quite close, and told me...

"Don't worry, you'll be ever so beautiful"

He poured the water on me, and then started cutting...

A Surgeon's Tools

This complete set of over 100 surgeon's tools seems to be old, rusty, and badly cared for; several of the blades for the scalpels are dulled and broken, while the drills and clamps have a thick layer of... substances coating them.

However, when in the presence of a single being capable of using a set of surgeon's tools (and who additionally has the maximum number of ranks in the Heal skill that they are eligible for), and who is exclusively using these tools, the tools manifest their effect.

Firstly, they may treat the DC for any Heal skill checks that they perform to be 10. In addition, they receive a perfection bonus on all Heal checks equal to their ECL.

Furthermore, any diseases and poisons that the patient or patients are suffering from are treated as if they were completely mundane; Ability Drain is also immediately converted into Ability Damage.

Finally, they may, as a DC 10 Heal check that takes ten minutes, duplicate the effects of a Disguise Self spell or any spell of the [Healing] subschool on a single helpless or willing creature; however, that creature does not receive a saving throw, the effects are permanent, and the change is physical, not just illusionary (in the case of Disguise Self). This procedure must be performed without anesthetic, and the pain can be felt even if the creature receiving the procedure is normally immune to pain.

If any tool in the collective is used as an improvised weapon, it automatically makes all attacks as touch attacks, ignores all DR, Regeneration, and Hardness, and has a 18-20/x4 critical range.

While the tools are themselves easy to destroy, being no more durable that any other tool of their type, the set is almost impossible to destroy; as long as a single tool remains undestroyed, all other tools in the collective will reappear nearby the next time a creature is injured on the plane that the tools are on.

They only want to help, after all...

Temotei
2012-08-03, 10:16 PM
What's the price for this set?

Zale
2012-08-03, 10:25 PM
What's the price for this set?

I thought Artifacts had no listed price..

Quietus
2012-08-03, 10:27 PM
It's an artifact, I don't think it's supposed to have a price. Regardless, you're looking at an artifact which is, itself, a set of 100 weapons which can, by accepting a -4 "Improvised Weapon" penalty :

- Has an 18-20/x4 crit range
- Bypasses all Regeneration
- Ignores Hardness
- Ignores Damage Reduction
- Features an undispellable persistent Wraithstrike effect

Even just one weapon capable of doing all that would really be too much. This is 100 of them, and they do additional things on top of that when used for Healing. And honestly, the Heal-related uses are secondary to this artifact's use as 100 weapons. If you were to remove the improvised weapon aspects entirely, then I could see this being an interesting addition to a game, but with the weaponry based effects, it's too much. Even as an artifact.

Temotei
2012-08-03, 10:40 PM
I thought Artifacts had no listed price..

Derp. Right. I don't really look at titles.

It's funny because it's an artifact and it reduces all Heal DCs to 10, which is automatic pass since you have max ranks in Heal and gain a bonus equal to level.

Pyromancer999
2012-08-04, 12:38 AM
Seems interesting, although I'd recommend including rules for what happens if a creature only has a few or even a single piece of the set.