PDA

View Full Version : Wetboy 2.0 D&D 3.5 Base Class PEACH

Azoth
2012-08-02, 09:32 PM
Wetboy

“I am Sa’kagé a lord of shadows. I claim the shadows that the Shadow may not. I am the strong arm of deliverance. I am Shadowstrider. I am the Scales of Justice. I am He-Who-Guards-Unseen. I am Shadowslayer. I am Nameless. The coranti shall not go unpunished. My way is hard but I serve unbroken. In ignobility nobility. In shame honor. In darkness light. I will do justice and love mercy. Until the king returns I shall not lay my burden down.” – Durzo Blint, Master Wetboy.

Wetboys come from all walks of life, and carry many different skill, but one things binds them all together…killing. For them it is business, and business is always good. They are trained for years to become the best at what they do, and that breeds a strong competitive spirit amongst them. For this reason most Wetboys keep their profession to themselves and value discretion and privacy above all else.

Most wetboys did not choose to walk the path they do. They were sold or born into it as small children. Their entire lives are training and learning. Each unique as were their master. Some wetboys favor seduction and diplomatic routes to get alone with their deaders, some prefer stealth like the assassins they sneak at, others still come at it with a frenzy and wildness that makes even a barbarian seem tactful. While at the core they all achieve the same goal, these differences are as much a part of a wetboy as are their secrets.

While one may prefer one route all have atleast a basic grasp of other concepts on how to kill. This flexibility is what has led them to become the most efficient breed of contract killers the world has seen.

Make no mistake that a wetboy only has the weapon you see to kill you. That is merely their first choice.

Adventurers
Wetboys adventure for their own reasons. Some want notoriety and fame as the best killers in the world, others want enough riches to retire, some feel that they need the best to be the best. All seek to further their own ambitions and gain what they can from wherever they can.

Characteristics
Wetboys are born into shadows and understand secrecy above all else. They are a quit witted and skilled at thinking on their feet no matter the situation. All of them understand the importance of stealth though most choose one form or another to go about it. Some creep through shadows seamlessly as the night, while others focus on anonymity of a good disguise,
They are all killers and no amount of smiling or costumes will change that. They dedicate their lives to training not just in physical combat, but also in the ways of psionics to augment and enhance their abilities. This is what truly makes these hunters of shadows deadly. Though you need not fear a fireball streaking from their hands, that faint sound of a scuffling rat may be more than what you thought.

Alignment
Wetboys don’t dwell much on moral quandaries and all kill for their own reasons. After all is killing a corrupt king noble? Is killing a loving husband evil? In the end it all washes even. Wetboys can be of any alignment.

Religion
Wetboys offer up prayer and thanks to many gods, as there are many wetboys. Religion is a personal choice for them, and whatever helps them sleep at night. Wetboys can be of any religion.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Power Points/Day|Powers Known|Maximun Power Level Known

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Trapfinding, Sneak Attack 1d6, Weapon Finess|0*|1|1st

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|, AC bonus, Evasion|1|2|1st

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3| Nimble Strike, Poison Use|3|3|1st

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4| Penetrating Strike, , Dark Stalker|5|4|2nd

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4| Sneak Attack 2d6, Skill Mastery|7|5|2nd

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5| Uncanny Dodge, shadow dweller|11|6|2nd

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5| Slippery mind|15|7|3rd

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6| Dark Vision 60ft, Insightful strike|19|8|3rd

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Sneak Attack 3d6, born of shadow|23|9|3rd

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7| Psionic enhancement|27|10|4th

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7| Hide in Plain Sight|35|11|4th

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8| Shadow’s Embrace|43|12|4th

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8| Sneak Attack 4d6, mind cripple|51|13|5th

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9| Full Penetrtion|59|14|5th

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9| Skill Mastery|67|15|5th

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10| Mind Blank|79|16|6th

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10| Sneak Attack 5d6|91|17|6th

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11| Cloaked Aura|103|18|6th

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11| Shadow Sight|115|19|6th

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12| True Mastery|127|20|6th
[/table]

Starting Age: Simple
Starting Gold: 6d4x10
Skill Points: 6+Int per level (x4 at first)
Class Skills: All
Hit Dice: D6

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Wetboys are proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as two exotic weapons of their choice (A wetboy may use one of these to gain Improved Unarmed Strike instead. Wetboys are proficient with light armor only and no shields.

Power Points/Day:
A wetboy’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on Table: The wetboy. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Inteligence score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items. A 1st-level wetboy gains no power points for his class level, but he gains bonus power points (if he is entitled to any), and can manifest the single power he knows with those power points.

Powers Known:
A wetboy begins play knowing one wetboy power of your choice. Each time he achieves a new level, he unlocks the knowledge of a new power.

Choose the powers known from the wetboy power list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a wetboy to learn powers from the lists of other classes.) A wetboy can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level.

The total number of powers a wetboy can manifest in a day is limited only by his daily power points.

A wetboy simply knows his powers; they are ingrained in his mind. He does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though he must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all his spent power points.

The Difficulty Class for saving throws against wetboy's powers are 10 + the power’s level + the wetboy's Inteligence modifier.

Maximum Power Level Known:
A wetboy begins play with the ability to learn 1st-level powers. As he attains higher levels, he may gain the ability to master more complex powers.

To learn or manifest a power, a wetboy must have a Inteligence score of at least 10 + the power’s level.

Sneak Attack: As Rogue ability

Trapfinding: As Rogue ability

Weapon Finesse: A Wetboy gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at first level.

AC Bonus (EX): Through years of training and study Wetboys have an uncanny ability to read their opponents movements and stances. This grants them their Intelligence modifier to their armor class. This ability functions in light armor or unarmored and while the character is not encumbered, imobilized, or denied their dextery bonus to AC.

Evasion: As Rogue Ability

Nimble Strike: From constant drilling and arms practice a Wetboy learns how to make swift elegant strikes with his weapons make up for a lack of physical power. Starting at third level a Wetboy may add his dexterity modifier to damage with all finessable and ranged weapons.

Darkstalker: A wetboy has learned to mask himself from most means. When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can fl ank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.

Penetrating Strike: Fighting against a variety of foe has allowed a Wetboy to figure out how to harm those normally immune to his sneak attacks. He has learned where to drive a blade to halt gears or shift bones. Beginning at fourth level a Wetboy deals half of his precision damage to creatures normally immune.

Skill Mastery: At fifth level a wetboy chooses 3+int mod skills to gain skill mastery in. He can always choose to take 10 in these skills even if distracted or rushed

Uncanny Dodge: As Rogue Ability

Shadow Dweller (EX): From a lifetime in darkness a Wetboy’s eyes have adjusted to
even the faintest of light and movement through terrain unseen. At sixth level a Wetboy gains Superior Low Light Vision and no longer takes penalties to hide or move silently for moving at full speed and only takes half penalties for attacking from shadows.

Slippery Mind (EX): his ability represents the Wetboy’s ability to wriggle free from magical or psionic effects that would otherwise control or compel him. If a wetboy with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same Difficulty Class. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw.

Nondetection (SU): At 8th level a wetboy gains the benefits of being under the effect of Nondetection at all times with a caster level equal to his wetboy class level.

Insightful Strike: Wetboys spend years memorizing where to put a blade in a target. After enough field experience it becomes second nature no longer requiring though. At eighth level a Wetboy gains the ability to add his intelligence modifier to his damage rolls with all finessable and ranged weapons.

Born of Shadows (EX): Starting at nineth level when in areas of shadowy illumination a wetboy can bend them around himself obscuring his exact location and granting himself cover. This ability grants them a 20% miss chance that increases by 10% every 2 wetboy levels to a maximum of 50% at fifteenth level.

Psioinic Enhancement (SU): A wetboy has learned to channel his psionic energy internally to perform feats that are considered far beyond those of a normal man. As a free action a Wetboy may channel his psionic energy for various effects. He can not channel more power points into any ability than he has manifestor levels.

Physical enhancement: A wetboy may spend power points to receive an enhancement bonus to a physical stat of his choice (Str, Dex, Con) equal to the power points spent for a number of rounds equal to half his manifester level.

Mental Enhancement: A wetboy may spend power points to receive an enhancement bonus to a menetal stat of his choice (Int, Wis, Cha) equal to the power points spent for a number of rounds equal to half his manifester level. (The new enhanced mental score does not last long enough to grant bonus power points)

Enhanced Speed: For every 2 power points spent a werboy gains 5ft enhancement bonus to their speed. They can also move their full movement speed as a swift action once per round. This ability lasts for one minute.

Psionic Strike: A wetboy must be at least level 12 before they can use this ability. For every 2 power points spent a wetboy gains a bonus to hit and an extra d4 of damage on attacks for one round.

Regeneration; A wetboy must be at least level 15 before they can use this ability. For every 3 power points spent they gain 1 point of regeneration. This ability lasts for one minute per 5 manifester levels.

Battle Demon: A wetboy must be atlest level 16 to use this ability. By spending 10 power points a wetboy is allowed to move and double full attack up to their movement speed as a full round action. They can space their attacks out as they see fit as long as they still have movement left (I.E. A wetboy can attack an enemy, move 10ft and attack another enemy twice, move 5 feet and full attack a third enemy.). This movement provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.

Hide in Plain Sight (SU): At 11th level, a Wetboy can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a wetboy can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind.

Shadow’s Embrace (EX): At twelth level a wetboy has become so in tune with the shadows that they offer him cover even against magic. Starting at twelth level a wetboy has a 20% miss chance against any targeted spell used against him as long as he is in an area of shadowy or darker illumination. This does not protect him from AoE spells. This ability increases by 10% every two wetboy levels to a maximum of 50% at level 18.

Mind Cripple (Su): A wetboy with this ability has learned to focus psychic energy into his sneak attacks, which disrupts the mental capability of his foe. An opponent damaged by one of his sneak attacks also takes 2 points of Intelligence damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability.

Full Penetration At 14th level a Wetboy has perfected the art of precision striking. He deals full precision damage against targets normally immune.

Mind Blank (SU): At 16th level a wetboy is treated as under the effects of a permanent psionic mindblank.

Cloaked Aura(Su): A wetboy gives off no aura for himself or his gear under any form of detection. For example, a wetboy can hold a Holy Avenger out in the open while under the affects of a mage armor spell and neither gives off a magical aura to detect.

Shaow Sight (EX): A wetboy can see 120ft in all darkness including magical darkness.

True Mastery: For every skill that a wetboy has skill mastery in he now adds half his wetboy levels as a bonus modifier.

Powers

1st Level
Astral Traveler
Attraction
Biofeedback
Bite of the Wolf
Bolt
Burst
Call to Mind
Catfall
Claws of the Beast
Compression
Control Flame
Conceal Thoughts
Control Light
Create Sound
Demoralize
Detect Psionics
Detect Secret Doors, Psionic
Detect Snares and Pits, Psionic
Dimensional Pocket
Disable
Distract
Elfsight
Empathy
Empty Mind
Entangling Ectoplasm
Expansion
Far Hand
Float
Force Screen
Grease, Psionic
Grip of Iron
Hammer
Inertial Armor
Know Direction and Location
Metaphysical Claw
Metaphysical Weapon
Mind Thrust
Missive
My Light
Precognition, Defensive
Precognition, Offensive
Prescience, Offensive
Prevenom
Prevenom Weapon
Sense Link
Skate
Stomp
Synesthete
Telempathic Projection
Vigor

2nd Level
Animal Affinity
Aversion
Body Equilibrium
Chameleon
Cloud Mind
Concealing Amorpha
Control Object
Control Sound
Danger Sense
Darkvision, Psionic
Detect Hostile Intent
Dimension Swap
Empathic Transfer
Energy Adapatation, Specified
Feat Leech
Find Traps, Psionic
Inflict Pain
Knock, Psionic
Levitate, Psionic
Missive Mass
Object Reading
Painful Strike
Read Thoughts
Sustenance
Thought Shield
Tongues, Psionic
Wall Walker

3rd Level
Body Adjustment
Body Purification
Claws of the Vampire
Concealing Amorpha, Greater
Control Air
Dimension Slide
Dispel Psionics
Ectoplasmic Form
Empathic Feedback
Empathic Transfer, Hostile
Eradicate Invisibility
Escape Detection
Hustle
Keen Edge, Psionic
Mental Barrier
Microkinesis
Psionic Lion’s Charge
Strength of My Enemy
Telekinetic Force
Telekineti Thrust
Tie Hop
Touchsight
Ubiquitous Vision

4th Level
Claw of Energy
Correspond
Detect Remote Viewing
Dimension Door, Psionic
Divination sionic
False Sensory Imput
Freedom of Movement, Psionic
Mindwipe
Steadfast Perception
Power Leech
Telekinetic Maneuver
True Venom
True Venom Weapon
Wall of Ectoplasm
Weapon of Energy

5th Level
Adapt Body
Cataapsi
Feather Weight
Power Resistance
Remote Viewing
Retrieve
True Seeing, Psionic

6th Level

Cloud Mind Mass
Dispelling Buffer
Ethereal Jaint Psionic
Overland Flight Psioinic
Remote View Trap
Shatter Mind Blank
Suspend Life
Sadow Body
Temporal Acceleration

Azoth
2012-08-02, 09:39 PM
Reserved post

Azoth
2012-08-02, 09:40 PM
Reserved post 2

Vixsor Lumin
2012-08-03, 04:21 AM
Ever since I read your username, id been meaning to ask if you had read the night angel trilogy :smallwink:

Everything seems balanced and fair to me, the only things that bother me are the limited powers known and how MAD it is.

Stat wise you need Int (skills and PP/day Bonus damage, class features), Wis (DC's), Dex (bonus damage and to hit ranged), Con (because never dump Con) that's 4/6. I would do one of two things:

1. Switch DC's to be Int based. Wis seems to be the odd one out, and 3/6 is still difficult but doable. This keeps the class balanced.

2. Keep those the same, but increase powers known to compensate. Personally I would goive them bonus powers based on Int. More powers shouldn't do much to unbalance it, considering they have a specific spell list.

Right now id place it at mid to high T3

Azoth
2012-08-03, 04:33 AM
The wisdom thing was an editing error from when I copy pasted the power thing over from the psiwar in the SRD.

I left the powers known limited to the same field as the other partial manifesters, and were the pp/day. The class gets some pretty powerful abilities and is pretty flexible as is. Giving them more powers known would be pushing the versatility and power scale a bit, Atleast in my eyes.

Morph Bark
2012-08-03, 04:47 AM
Starting gold is pretty low. Most classes start with something between 3d4 x 10 or 6d4 x 10.

All skills seems excessive. I know, in the books they were meant to train all sorts of skills, but the fact is DnD just has so many more than there existed in the world of the book. Simply taking the Rogue skill list and adding psionic skills would do much better.

Why do they not get their Int to AC in light armor? They are proficient with it, but the class ability is just "Monk AC bonus, but with Int", and the Monk does not get it in light armor.

Nimble Strike and Penetrating Strike are good.

What kind of superior low-light vision do they gain? x3 or x4? And why do they not gain low-light vision first?

Insightful Strike seems a bit unnecessary with Nimble Strike already there and already gaining Str to damage. Just adding on stats that add to damage isn't a good thing.

Born of Shadows is rather strong for something like that to be at-will. I'd put limits on it.

Some of the psionic enhancements are basically the same as some of his psionic powers.

Hide in Plain Sight is always good. Shadow's Embrace is very nice to have.

True Mastery is a pretty okay capstone.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-08-03, 04:50 AM
Oh ok, if your having DC's be calculated with intelligence, then leaving powers alone is a good idea. I wasn't sure if you had done that as a balancing measure, so I was suggesting something worth balancing against. If its all keyed off of Int and Dex, then I think it should be good. In the books, the wetboys (and wetgirl) were master of not only nearly all weapons, but all fighting styles. In 3.5 terms that means not only were they good at standard fighting, but they could 2WF or be archers. Both of those are feat intesive, so I don't think a bonus feat or two would break from fluff, and it helps make this class more customizable. Then again, it also raises the versatility and therefore the power level so its your call.

Oh, and I don't see an entry in the class features about what *snicker* Full Penetration does.

Azoth
2012-08-03, 05:12 AM
I fixed the AC bonus...again error in my transcribing.

Insightful strike is there mainly because of the training they went through in the series. They knew how to pick the human body apart and actively fought aiming only for vital areas. This takes considerable knowledge of anatomy and dextruous skill to accomplish.

The main reason for not giving normal low light vision is mainly due to my laziness to make it scale up to superior and then into true darkvision, and my mind for some reason saw most who would take this using a race that already had it.

Born of Shadow is no worse than the swift blade ability of a similar nature that is fully matured by ECL11 and persistable around the time BoS matures.

I am aware that Psionic Enhancement duplicates some of his powers, but in most instances you can generate either a larger effect or generate the effect more cost efficiently. Considering each effect has a short lived duration I am not too worried about it.

I gave a desc to Full Penetration...though I may change the name of it.

There general combat versatility is part of the reason I allowed their precision damage to extend even to ranged weapons. There are two other classes that have all class skills, and neither of them is above Tier 3. I feel that it allows for a completely adaptable mold.

I tried to give abilities that were good and tied into their training and abilities that were shown, but leave the class enough room to be played as a seductres (Vi), A brutal butcher (Hu), skilled and deadly in most measures (Durzo), Reckless and lucky (Kylar).

Though I will admit that this class does not multiclass well. Several good abilities come late to the game.

Morph Bark
2012-08-03, 05:32 AM
Two other classes with all skills as class skills? If you're talking official, I only know of the Factotum. :smallconfused: Unless you're think Dragon magazine is official, which it isn't.

I'd say at least reconsider the all-class-skills thing, as I don't think Knowledge (physics), Iaijutsu Focus, Lucid Dreaming, Drive, Pilot and some others are fitting for it.

With regards to the Swiftblade, sure, there's that, but keep in mind that that is a PrC and highly specialized with special prerequisites. At least have those abilities come 2 levels later than that the Swiftblade could get them at the earliest.

And with that, I think I'll take my leave of the thread. I've only just started the second book and rather would not be spoiled.

Azoth
2012-08-05, 12:40 PM
*bumpity bump*