PDA

View Full Version : The OOTS Movie

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-02, 09:37 PM
Who would play the OOTS characters in a live-action movie?

Roy: Will Smith
Elan: Brad Pitt
Haley: Angelina Jolie (hair dyed red
Belkar: ???
Vaarsuvius: ???
Durkon: ???

ALL characters discussed here! Team Evil, Linear Guild, etc.

Rorrik
2012-08-02, 11:11 PM
I was really hoping this was for real. Anyway, I'm thinking Bradely Cooper for Belkar, off the bat.

Maybe Owen Wilson would be a good Nale, though I've never seen him play a villian and he's hardly Brad Pitt's twin. Maybe switch them, Owen Wilson is good at goofy.

Chromascope3D
2012-08-02, 11:20 PM
Roy: Nicolas Cage
Elan: Nicolas Cage
Haley: Nicolas Cage
Belkar: Nicolas Cage
Vaarsuvius: Johnny Depp
Durkon: Nicolas Cage

Everyone else: Nicolas Cage

Gift Jeraff
2012-08-02, 11:25 PM
Roy: Eddie Murphy
Elan: Mike Myers
Nale: Mike Myers
Eugene: Eddie Murphy
Tarquin: Mike Myers
Horace: Eddie Murphy
Eric: Eddie Murphy
Julia: Eddie Murphy
Sara: Tyler Perry

zimmerwald1915
2012-08-03, 12:36 AM
I was really hoping this was for real.
It'd certainly be nice if one of the readers of this forum was a studio exec desperate to give Rich fifty million dollars to make a movie. Probable? Not so much.

skaddix
2012-08-03, 12:45 AM
Not sure about a Movie but it certainly make a great animated show.

Emperordaniel
2012-08-03, 05:48 AM
Not sure about a Movie but it certainly make a great animated show.

This. The webcomic's long enough that - even if you don't count the prequels, which would likely make great movies in themselves - it would take several movies (the filming of which would likely take the better part of a decade at least) to encompass the entire series so far. On the other hand, an animated series would be cheaper to create and could be done on a more "episodic" basis, much like the comic itself.

skaddix
2012-08-03, 01:58 PM
Plus animated allows you to break the fourth wall and jokes about them not having thumbs and not knowing what noses are still work well. Breaking the 4th wall is always dumb in live action

The Second
2012-08-03, 05:21 PM
An animated show would be cool, presented in 15 minute shorts, released on a mostly semi bi-weekly basis except when the animators miss their deadline.

/bad joke

PlusSixPelican
2012-08-03, 05:47 PM
One thing is you need, uhm, relatively YOUNG actors for this. Since the only old PC is V, and zi is an elf, so it doesn't count. You want actual 20-somethings for the first one. I don't know anyone in that age category, I just hope they don't use Kristen Stewart, even if she is adorable.

Smolder
2012-08-04, 08:45 AM
This. The webcomic's long enough that - even if you don't count the prequels, which would likely make great movies in themselves - it would take several movies (the filming of which would likely take the better part of a decade at least) to encompass the entire series so far. On the other hand, an animated series would be cheaper to create and could be done on a more "episodic" basis, much like the comic itself.

This comic is longer and slower than Dragonball Z. It could run for years!

t209
2012-08-04, 09:03 AM
Maybe we could make the OOTS Series set after the main saga of OOTS if other party members weren't killed off. Or Pre OOTS event could make a good setting.

Water_Bear
2012-08-04, 09:45 AM

Decades! Just make each comic page into a 28min episode and fill in the gaps with meaningless jabber about power levels.

oppyu
2012-08-04, 10:32 AM
Decades! Just make each comic page into a 28min episode and fill in the gaps with meaningless jabber about power levels.
My god... his spell level... IT'S OVER 9!

/lamereference

(I'm assuming that there are spell levels over 9; my entire knowledge of D&D comes from reading this comic)

lord pringle
2012-08-04, 10:42 AM
Elan and Nale have to be played by Neil Patrick Harris.

Kish
2012-08-04, 02:25 PM

/lamereference

(I'm assuming that there are spell levels over 9; my entire knowledge of D&D comes from reading this comic)
Yes. People only use them to cast metamagiced spells, though.

Maximized Energy Drain is a 12th-level spell.

zimmerwald1915
2012-08-04, 03:47 PM
Yes. People only use them to cast metamagiced spells, though.
They also use spells slots of level 10 and above to cast epic spells like Cloister, Epic Teleport, Familicide, Superb Dispelling, and whatever spell Dorukan and Lirian used to create the Gates.

Funnily enough, a reaction like Vegeta's would not be inappropriate upon discovering that one's opponent unexpectedly had access to epic spells.

Kish
2012-08-04, 03:51 PM
No, those are epic spell slots, handled entirely separately from numbered spell slots.

There may be a way to gain a 10th-level spell slot without being epic, but if so I don't know what it is.

zimmerwald1915
2012-08-04, 03:53 PM
No, those are epic spell slots, handled entirely separately from numbered spell slots.
My mistake. :smallsmile:

Emperordaniel
2012-08-04, 07:15 PM

Some scenes and pages could always be condensed and/or removed for the series if they wouldn't fit into the cartoon (for example, the "up-a-level/down-a-level" page). :smalltongue:

Assume a rate of 20 pages per episode (action-heavy episodes would probably easily hit around 25-30 pages, since those take up a lot of comic space but don't take a lot of time to read/watch; practically the reverse is true for dialogue-heavy episodes, which may take as few as 10 pages). At the current number of pages, that would make a minimum of 43 episodes. If they came out at the rate of one episode per week, with a 12-week break between "seasons" (each induvidual book), that would leave us with a time period of approximately one year and ten months for turning all the present pages into cartoon episodes - without counting the bonus comics and prequels. :smallwink:

HZ514
2012-08-04, 11:32 PM

That...(end of episode)...is...(end of episode)...not...(end of season)...(new season)...possible.

That's actually pretty perfect.

Elan and Nale have to be played by Neil Patrick Harris.

Amen, that role screams NPH to me. And Tarquin can be NPH with gray hair.

Cuthalion
2012-08-19, 10:44 AM
Orlando Bloom=V?

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-19, 11:22 AM
Orlando Bloom=V?

Dye his hair purple. Can he speak in a high male/low female voice? :confused:

Musta Nuoli
2012-08-19, 01:17 PM
Dye his hair purple. Can he speak in a high male/low female voice? :confused:

Orlando probably can't, but I know somebody who's able to play very androgynous characters and has actually played a character of an opposite sex (and a different race):

Tilda Swinton.

Tilda Swinton played archangel Gabriel in Contanstine, the rather mediocre movie interpretation of Hellblazer comics. She has also played Orlando, the mother and father of all androgynous characters (Orlando actually changed her/his sex at random intervals, but looked still the same). She could easily play Vaarsuvius and the audience couldn't tell if Vaarsuvius is supposed to be male or female. She's 51 years old, so she'd be ideal to play a character older than the rest of the cast.

As for the rest of the cast:
Roy - The Rock. The Rock has the body of a fighter in his prime, and he's got wits and charisma. Can you smell what Roy is cooking?
Haley - Emma Stone. Highly funny and smoking hot ms. Stone would be an ideal Haley. Just listen her laugh.
Elan/Nale - Tom Felton. In real life Tom Felton is a funny and positive young man (and also a musician), as Draco Malfoy he was... well, Draco Malfoy. Thus mr. Felton could pull a double role as a sinister schemer Nale and a bright, charismatic bard Elan.
Belkar - Jonah Hill. Belkar is chaotic evil, but he's also very funny and brings comic relief. Jonah Hill is a fine comedian and also capable of action comedy roles.
Durkon - Ewan McGregor. McGregor could do the accent naturally. Also, he's extremely good and versatile actor and able to act decently even under the direction of George Lucas. Just imagine McGregor as Obi-Wan, then double his beard, shave his head and replace the light saber with a hammer. That's Durkon, my friends.

Other roles:
Tarquin - Richard Gere
Sabine - Zoe Saldana

Kish
2012-08-19, 01:26 PM
But Vaarsuvius isn't a character older than the rest of the cast except chronologically. Translate elf years into human/halfling/dwarf years, and s/he's younger than Roy and quite possibly younger than any of the others except Elan. (Depending on how long the campaign's been going on in comic-internal time, even Elan may have caught up with him/her by now, as s/he ages at a much slower rate than most of the Order.)

dakameleon
2012-08-19, 11:45 PM
So incorporating some of the above...

Roy: Donald Glover (Community); Kal Penn
Elan: NPH (a thousand times yes!)
Haley: Emma Stone, Alison Brie
V: Tilda Swinton, Danny Pudi (Community)
Belkar: Ken Cheong? Peter Dinklage?
Durkon: John Rhys-Davies (Gimli!)

Random others:
Eugene: James Earl Jones
Miko: Olivia Munn, Rachel Bilson
Celia: Olivia Wilde, Anna Kendrick
Shojo: Jackie Chan

Derjuin
2012-08-20, 12:07 AM
Roy: Nicolas Cage
Elan: Nicolas Cage
Haley: Nicolas Cage
Belkar: Nicolas Cage
Vaarsuvius: Johnny Depp
Durkon: Nicolas Cage

Everyone else: Nicolas Cage

Yes!!!!!!!! I would pay so much to see this as many times as possible, then buy two collector's editions and add one to my shrine. The only problem I see with it is that Vaarsuvius isn't also played by Nicolas Cage, but Depp is fine too.

If Nick won't take the job, I'd say Tim Curry as Tarquin. He just -oozes- charisma and dastardliness.

WindStruck
2012-08-20, 07:26 AM
Roy: Will Smith
Totally agree with OP. Will Smith aces sarcasm and comedy/drama/acting in general.

Elan: Adam Sandler
I can already feel everyone thinking "Ick, seriously?" Well yes, that's the point. I always thought Adam Sandler was an obnoxious and hammy actor, and that suits Elan perfectly. Just give him a blonde wig or something.

Haley: Drew Barrymore (http://sataloma.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/www-sataloma-com-drew-barrymore-red-hair.jpg)
I don't quite feel it's a perfect fit, but with that nice red head look and her being on 50 first dates (paired with adam sandler) it sorta seemed to work. Or maybe that's taboo and they shouldn't really be a couple in a movie again.

Belkar: Vin Diesel
Cause Belkar is one evil, badass, mother****ing, puppy kicking, kobold-skull-crafting, dimwitted, sexy, shoeless, god of war. Vin Diesel isn't anywhere near that, but the closest actor I can think of. Just need to somehow turn him into a midget on film.

V: Andrej Pejic (http://images.smh.com.au/2010/11/12/2040666/andrej_pejic_420-420x0.jpg)
.......teach him to act now!!!

Durkon: Ron Perlman (http://post.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2009/02/27/1235781393-mightbearderik.png)
I'd say it's a good look with the beard, but I can only pray he's got a scottish/dwarven accent down.

Xykon: Some random Big Bad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3BxvHhz4XQ&feature=relmfu) voice actor, I dunno

Pretty sad a lot of my choices are really popular actors already... but oh well!

dakameleon
2012-08-21, 01:44 AM
Belkar: Vin Diesel
Cause Belkar is one evil, badass, mother****ing, puppy kicking, kobold-skull-crafting, dimwitted, sexy, shoeless, god of war. Vin Diesel isn't anywhere near that, but the closest actor I can think of. Just need to somehow turn him into a midget on film.

Perspective tricks makes making him short trivial; but then that got me thinking, wouldn't he be even better as Roy? Comes with head pre-shaved, he plays D&D so he'd know the jokes inside out, and the intelligence contrasted with the voice/appearance/what-you-already-assume-from-Vin.

V: Andrej Pejic (http://images.smh.com.au/2010/11/12/2040666/andrej_pejic_420-420x0.jpg)
.......teach him to act now!!!

Oh... oh my... he is indeed perfect.

GSFB
2012-08-21, 02:04 AM
I called Vin Diesel for Belkar several years back - would be possible using the same trick photography they used for Hobbits and Dwarves in LotR movies.

Roy: I like Will Smith, but he is too middle-aged. Maybe a younger jock-turning-actor type? The ideal might have been (gasp) a young O.J. Simpson (yeah yeah, I know...). So any bright 20-something NFL players looking to branch into acting?

Haley: The hot young redhead "it girl" these days seems to be Emma Stone.

Durkon: I haven't seen him lately, but what about Craig Ferguson? Funny with a great accent.

Elan-Nale: Sean William Scott. Think "Dude, Where's My Car" for Elan and "American Pie" for Nale - well ok, a little smarter and more charming, but EVIL.

V: Jaye Davidson. Heh.

Thog: Lou Ferrigno. Dude is still freakin buff, he is funny, given his character and lines it wouldn't matter if he talked funny, and people would like him even when he is murdering innocents. And with half-orc makeup, you would never guess he is like 60 or something. Bonus: he could make a recurring "don't make me angry" joke!

Sabine: either Gina Torres or Rosario Dawson

Xykon: Bruce Campbell.

most of the other evils, being not human (or human enough), I wouldn't think about so much, but you may have other ideas.

lorddrake
2012-08-22, 08:03 AM
Eugene, to me, would always be Morgan Freeman...

Emperordaniel
2012-08-22, 03:06 PM
Orlando probably can't, but I know somebody who's able to play very androgynous characters and has actually played a character of an opposite sex (and a different race):

Tilda Swinton.

Tilda Swinton played archangel Gabriel in Contanstine, the rather mediocre movie interpretation of Hellblazer comics. She has also played Orlando, the mother and father of all androgynous characters (Orlando actually changed her/his sex at random intervals, but looked still the same). She could easily play Vaarsuvius and the audience couldn't tell if Vaarsuvius is supposed to be male or female. She's 51 years old, so she'd be ideal to play a character older than the rest of the cast.

As for the rest of the cast:
Roy - The Rock. The Rock has the body of a fighter in his prime, and he's got wits and charisma. Can you smell what Roy is cooking?
Haley - Emma Stone. Highly funny and smoking hot ms. Stone would be an ideal Haley. Just listen her laugh.
Elan/Nale - Tom Felton. In real life Tom Felton is a funny and positive young man (and also a musician), as Draco Malfoy he was... well, Draco Malfoy. Thus mr. Felton could pull a double role as a sinister schemer Nale and a bright, charismatic bard Elan.
Belkar - Jonah Hill. Belkar is chaotic evil, but he's also very funny and brings comic relief. Jonah Hill is a fine comedian and also capable of action comedy roles.
Durkon - Ewan McGregor. McGregor could do the accent naturally. Also, he's extremely good and versatile actor and able to act decently even under the direction of George Lucas. Just imagine McGregor as Obi-Wan, then double his beard, shave his head and replace the light saber with a hammer. That's Durkon, my friends.

Other roles:
Tarquin - Richard Gere
Sabine - Zoe Saldana

I'd place Tom Felton in the role of Tarquin as well due to the fact that he's been mentioned (not to mention having been shown) to look just like Elan, except with grey hair; otherwise, I love this idea. :smallbiggrin: