PDA

View Full Version : StP erudite question

killianh
2012-08-03, 12:32 AM
reading through it (rather) quickly I came to wondering something. If arcane magic is generally ruled as better than the other schools then wouldn't a StP erudite end up more powerful than a wizard?

From my understanding of the Psionics system and the standard vancian casting D&D uses it seems that the ability to route your power points into which ever spells you want would give even more power AND versatility to the StP erudite then the standard arcane casters.

Am I missing something that puts wizard back on the top of the list for that or no?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-03, 01:59 AM
You haven't missed anything. The StP erudite is the ultimate caster at the top of T1. If it can be beaten with 11 spells/powers or less (read: pretty much everything), the StP erudite will beat it.

Tvtyrant
2012-08-03, 02:05 AM
Not only is it better normally, it also gets advantages like not paying for material components (so Force Cage is free!).

The only base class better IME is the psionic Artificer, because it can use the StP Erudite to get all arcane and psionic abilities as items.

killianh
2012-08-03, 02:16 AM
then why does everyone rant and rave about wizard?

Tvtyrant
2012-08-03, 02:20 AM

Probably because StP Erudite is an ACF, for an ACF, for a class which is on par with the sorcerer. The Wizard is a base class from the PHB, and as such is bound to be used almost constantly.

Put another way: If Monk was in Complete Warrior there wouldn't be the constant Monkdays that we used to have. But it is in PHB, so everyone starts out with it as an option. Same thing with Wizard (and Druid and Cleric).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-03, 02:24 AM

Because intelligently played, it can smash game balance to tiny, barely-recognizable pieces by using only the PHB.

StP erudite requires either a copy of the despised CPsi or a printout of a WotC web page. Neither of which can be assumed to be in nearly everyone's game.

killianh
2012-08-03, 02:48 AM
So it's overall better, but from a source that won't always be allowed using a mechanic that isn't always allowed. It's more of an access thing that an actual superiority thing.

Thanks!

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-03, 02:50 AM
Well, that and the fact that wizards have a bajillion more PrC options, and too many more ways to make little tweaks here and there. They're just more interesting to talk about than erudites.

lsfreak
2012-08-03, 03:49 AM
Wizards are a Core class. It's pretty much expected they'll be in play; the only time they won't are in very fluff-first worlds or campaigns that ban Core for brokenness. StP is an obscure ACF for an already-obscure class. StP is more broken, but it's also probably the only class that's assumed to be flat-out banned. I have never seen StP erudites ever recommended, they're simply ignored.

killianh
2012-08-03, 05:51 AM
The main thing that caught me on the StP erudite was when I was reading a theurge tread and kept seeing triple 9 builds being suggested, then saw that it could basically be pulled off with one class :smallamused: