PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the airport for another 7-ish hours, tips to mantain sanity?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-03, 04:28 AM
I start university again next monday, which means that I niw have to return home, which is nice , because I miss my family, my pets, my bed and my own bathroom.... Problem is that due horrible luck my plane doesn't depart from the Airport till 19:30 ( Local hour)and it is 11:26 in the morning as I am typing this post.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to avoid loosing my mind? i have internet access; but it can only do so much and I already finnished all the booksmI brought on this trip.

RdMarquis
2012-08-03, 04:34 AM
You'd be surprised what a nice long walk can do to clear your head and pass the time.

Alternately...have you considered firing up the word processor of your choice and just doing some writing? Not about anything in particular. Simply whatever crosses your mind.

As you're in for a seven hour wait, you might try catching a quick nap at some point. Keep an eye on your belongings, though.

Castaras
2012-08-03, 04:36 AM
You have internet - is this on a phone or on a laptop? If on a laptop, you could play internet flash games. They keep you occupied certainly.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-03, 04:39 AM
Wish I could write, I am posting from an Ipad which only has the notepad as work processor...though it might work in a pinch I guess.

Walk would be nice if I didn't had to drag a 20 kilo suitcase (month long vacation=big luggage).

Sorry if I sound snippy or anything, I had to wake up at 3 AM, so I am in a bit of a bad mood right now.

Melayl
2012-08-03, 05:37 AM
Baen's Free Library has many free ebooks you could read. Barnes and Noble does as well (though some are very poor in quality...). If you have Netflix, Hulu or such you could watch TV or movies for a while to kill some time.

Good Luck!

Cespenar
2012-08-03, 06:37 AM
Weren't there buttloads of free flash-based games that you could try on the iPod?

grimbold
2012-08-03, 07:12 AM
first off *hugs*

how big is your terminal? maybe you could find some cool stores and explore
or go to a bookstore and read!

Yora
2012-08-03, 07:15 AM
Wish I could write, I am posting from an Ipad which only has the notepad as work processor...though it might work in a pinch I guess.
Paper. Pencil.

Or are these already forbidden as lethal weapons?

Castaras
2012-08-03, 07:48 AM
Paper. Pencil.

Or are these already forbidden as lethal weapons?

Paper and pencil could be used to copy blueprints of planes and write detailed plans to destroy them! It'd be a catastrophe! And a pencil can be *gasp* SHARPENED. And used as a weapon! Take someone's eye out!

Fragenstein
2012-08-03, 07:49 AM
Could you rent a locker to stow the suitcase while you explore?

Personally, I've always enjoyed random airport photography. You can really capture some candid expressions and lovely shots if you're into photographing people.

You can even make up stories about random strangers around you. Such as the man in the gaberdine suit being a spy (watch out, his bowtie is really a camera).

I'd warn off against the napping, though. You'll need that for the flight itself.

vampire2948
2012-08-03, 08:27 AM
Hope you're keeping sane.

Could find some webcomics? I recommend:

www.gunnerkrigg.com - For a start. Maybe look in the webcomics part of the forum.

Vampire2948,

Rallicus
2012-08-03, 08:40 AM
Last December I had a 4 hour layover, which is nothing compared to yours, but I also had no electronics whatsoever (not even a cellphone) and a horrible book that I had no desire to read.

Surprisingly, I didn't get bored. In fact, I think I would have been more bored had I been staring at an electronic screen the whole time.

That said, I'm guessing you're roughly 3 hours away from departure, so you've probably already been doing stuff to keep you entertained. I would second the locker thing had I posted in here earlier, but now that you're over half way through with your wait, I don't think there would be a point.

thubby
2012-08-03, 08:50 AM
calisthenics?
not something I'd do but I've seen it.

thubby
2012-08-03, 08:52 AM
calisthenics?

thubby
2012-08-03, 08:56 AM
calisthenics?

Elemental
2012-08-03, 09:46 AM
And if you do decide to do calisthenics, make sure you do every part three times for maximum effect.

thubby
2012-08-03, 09:54 AM
And if you do decide to do calisthenics, make sure you do every part three times for maximum effect.

aaand now i have to debate fixing the server induced triple post.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-08-03, 10:07 AM
Read a book, read a webcomic (That can sure take up several hours! Also, we can suggest webcomics for you to read. Like, you can read Gone with the Blastwave and Romantically Apocalyptic!)

I like people-watching, myself. Walking around and stretching your legs is a good thing, cuz you'll be sitting on the plane soon, and you're gonna get all cramped up!

Bulldog Psion
2012-08-03, 10:16 AM
Let's see -- look for a baggage drop to store your luggage. That'll get the albatross off your back, and take up time, too.

Find something to eat, and eat it in a leisurely fashion.

Watch people. See if you can find a window where you can see out onto the tarmac -- watching the baggage handlers abusing suitcases is often a decent way to pass a couple minutes in my experience.

Watch people generally.

Walk around a bit and explore.

Those are my ideas ...

Elemental
2012-08-03, 10:45 AM
aaand now i have to debate fixing the server induced triple post.

Which brings me to another point: If you try hard, you can entertain yourself for an hour just by letting your own mind wander.
It's how I spend the hour it takes me to fall asleep.

Maxios
2012-08-03, 11:00 AM
You could read through the archive of Omnitopia: The Playground :smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2012-08-03, 11:02 AM
Can't you leave the airport and have ice cream and beer and waffles and stuff? I would never spend a long layover like that without going out.

Emmerask
2012-08-03, 11:33 AM
Take a good long nap (after securing your stuff)

Dr.Epic
2012-08-03, 11:44 AM
If you have internet, you should be fine. Seven hours is nothing when you have the internet. Watch all the Nostalgia Critic's videos.

grimbold
2012-08-03, 05:21 PM
You can even make up stories about random strangers around you. Such as the man in the gaberdine suit being a spy (watch out, his bowtie is really a camera).

I'd warn off against the napping, though. You'll need that for the flight itself.

all right
this made my day :)