PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Passport!

Cute_Riolu
2012-08-03, 06:18 AM
Well, I have no clue how to go about it, is basically the issue. There's a friend I'd like to visit who lives in Canada, but I'm pretty sure I'll need a passport to go see him, being as I'm currently in the U.S. How would I go about getting one? Could I do so online? If not, what would I need to get one (identification, presumably), and where would I need to go?

I'd love to have posted this elsewhere, but there's no other subforum more appropriate that I've found!

Thanks for any and all responses. :)

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-03, 06:44 AM
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

This may help.

Aiani
2012-08-03, 06:53 AM
That website looks like it has all the helpful information so I don't have too much to add. I just remember that I filled out the paper work, showed up to my local post office with the form, my birth certificate and drivers license and then I waited in a very long line (seriously show up early) and turned in my stuff and they took my picture. Be sure to apply as soon as possible because it can take a few months for the passport to actually be sent to you.

Fragenstein
2012-08-03, 06:55 AM
You'll be asked a few questions when you cross the border. Things like...

What are your travel plans?
Where do you plan to stay, and do you have reservations there?
How long do you plan to be in Canada?

Try not to answer...

"We have none."
"We don't know, and we have none."
"We don't know, we're just here to have fun."

You'll end up sitting in a big room by yourself as they do mysterious things out of sight for a while. But then they let you in and you eat at Tim Horton's for the first time and never want to drive on U.S. highways ever again.

502 Forever!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-08-03, 10:25 AM
This always confuses me. I've ALWAYS had a passport my entire life.

Also things to remember: answer the border guards succinctly, and to the point. Don't say more than you have to. And make sure you check how much you're allowed to bring back over the border.

Oh, and in Ontario, the far-left lane of the highway, while TECHNICALLY supposed to be used for passing, is really just used as a slightly-faster-than-the-lane-next-to-you,-but-still-used-as-a-normal-lane-to-just-drive-in.

Um, most things are gonna be a little more expensive here. Try to gas up before you cross the border, gas is ESPECIALLY more expensive here.

Yeah, any more specific questions, PM me.

Karoht
2012-08-03, 10:40 AM
Rule #1 of getting a Passport
Allot yourself plenty of time. If possible, start the process with months rather than weeks before you plan on taking your trip.

Rule #2 of getting a Passport
You are not allowed to smile for the photo. This is the WORST part of the application in my opinion. Having to hold a straight face that doesn't look the slightest bit happy, and try not to laugh, and try not to blink with that bright flash... lets just say it took me more than 20 tries to get my photo correct.

Elemental
2012-08-03, 11:22 AM
Ah yes... Passports...

Definition: A documents with which to inform border officials of your age, you place of birth and how you look when photographed unflattering.

snoopy13a
2012-08-03, 11:59 AM
As a alterantive, and assuming your state issues them, you could get an enhanced driver's license. Canada will accept them (and possibly Mexico as well) but you're probably better off just getting a Passport.

Back in the good old days, you could get into Canada with just a driver's license and your birth certificate.

Fragenstein
2012-08-03, 12:02 PM
As a alterantive, and assuming your state issues them, you could get an enhanced driver's license. Canada will accept them (and possibly Mexico as well) but you're probably better off just getting a Passport.

Back in the good old days, you could get into Canada with just a driver's license and your birth certificate.

Be careful with that. The U.S. has tightened its pucker on allowing even its own citizens to return from Canada without a passport. The enhanced license may not be enough, though that's a good question for official channels.

Elder Tsofu
2012-08-03, 12:07 PM
Wait for months? Seem like you Americans need to demand faster service, we generally get our pass-ports delivered within 5 work-days from when we apply at the police. (Sweden) :smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2012-08-03, 12:13 PM
Be careful with that. The U.S. has tightened its pucker on allowing even its own citizens to return from Canada without a passport. The enhanced license may not be enough, though that's a good question for official channels.

Apparently, enhanced licenses are only good for returning to the U.S. via non-air travel from Canada, Mexico and a few Carribean nations. So if you're traveling by car or boat, an enhanced license is fine.

Still, it is probably better to get a passport because one is good for 10 years (if you're 18 or over, 5 if you're under 18). Even if one doesn't have immediate plans to travel overseas, who knows what'll happen in a couple of years, and it is good to get that paperwork out of the way.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/edl-main.htm

Cute_Riolu
2012-08-03, 01:34 PM
Under passport fees on that website, Passport books and cards are mentioned. What's the difference between them?

snoopy13a
2012-08-03, 01:40 PM
Under passport fees on that website, Passport books and cards are mentioned. What's the difference between them?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

According to the website, "The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

Get a passport book. You don't want to spend significant money on something that's only good for road trips and cruises.

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-03, 03:36 PM
Wait for months? Seem like you Americans need to demand faster service, we generally get our pass-ports delivered within 5 work-days from when we apply at the police. (Sweden) :smallbiggrin:

This is normal here, too. We usually have to wait for two months to get ours. And sometimes there's a problem, soyiu want yo make sure you have it in time.

Zherog
2012-08-03, 03:42 PM
I'm in the process of getting my passport now, because I'm likely going to have to travel to Toronto for work. Note that there is an option to expedite the process, though it (of course) costs more. I believe the expedited process takes about 2 weeks.

Winter_Wolf
2012-08-03, 09:28 PM
The good news is that the worst part of the application is trying to take an appropriate photograph. Imagine trying to take an appropriate photograph of an infant. :smallsigh:

I believe the photograph requirements are to simulate what you're probably actually going to look like after spending too many hours in uncomfortable airline seats and waiting in airports. I've yet to see a smiling happy person at a border inspection who's spent 14+ hours on planes and having had to go through airport security (and eat airport food).

THAC0
2012-08-03, 09:32 PM
I'm surprised at these issues with photographs. I've always smiled during mine, no problem!

ForzaFiori
2012-08-03, 10:12 PM
Easiest way to get a passport that i've seen: go to your local post office and tell them. They give you some papers to fill out, and then you go to turn it in and get your picture taken, pay a fee (you can pay extra to expedite it and get it quicker), then wait, and it'll be mailed to you.

One catch though: You have to send your birth certificate with it, it'll be mailed back separately from your passport, it usually arrives after the passport, in fact.

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-03, 10:20 PM
I'm surprised at these issues with photographs. I've always smiled during mine, no problem!

Smiling distorts your face, that's why it's not allowed.

THAC0
2012-08-03, 10:24 PM

Like I said, never had a problem.

Jimorian
2012-08-03, 11:24 PM

Specifically, it distorts your face for facial recognition software.

I got mine in 2007, and this wasn't yet a requirement, so I'm smiling.

Elder Tsofu
2012-08-04, 03:51 AM
This is normal here, too. We usually have to wait for two months to get ours. And sometimes there's a problem, soyiu want yo make sure you have it in time.

Well, apparently Australians need to demand faster service too. It shouldn't be much more than 3 quick steps: 1. Application (done at trusted locations). 2. The head of state asking him/her/itself if there is any reason you shouldn't be allowed to travel from the greatest country on earth. 3. Production of passport. :smalltongue:

Brother Oni
2012-08-04, 05:10 AM
Side anecdote: In Britain, the Queen doesn't need a passport to travel.

This isn't because she's so famous that she's recognisable on sight (I imagine that even Hollywood movie stars still need a passport), but because all British passports are issued in the Name of Her Majesty, so she doesn't doesn't need one but her husband, Prince Phillip, does.

Incidentally getting a passport suitable photograph of a baby or infant usually requires a visit to a professional photographer who lays them down on a beanbag (it also sometimes requires some professional level wrestling moves to keep them still but your limbs out of the picture).
Once they get big enough to understand basic instruction and how well behaved they are (usually about 5), you can usually use a photobooth.

Like I said, never had a problem.

You must never had to deal with suspicious passport control agents or flown in from a dodgy area. Flying in from the UK isn't normally an issue, but with the Olympics on, we've had our faces checked on the four times we've passed through passport control thus far on our holiday.

Aedilred
2012-08-04, 10:55 AM
This thread has reminded me I need to get a new passport: my past one expired ages ago. It's slightly depressing to think I haven't been abroad for nearly two years. :smallfrown:

KuReshtin
2012-08-04, 02:55 PM
When I got my passport renewed last time, the most trouble I had was that I had to prove that I was still a Swedish citizen, after having lived abroad for 10 years. Ended up with a 5 minute trip to the local tax office to get a piece of paper printed out where it said my name and personal number (equivalent of social security number in the US or National Insurance number in the UK) and that I was a Sedish citizen.

I got that sorted while I was in Sweden for less than 2 weeks, and it was over Easter weekend as well, but it only took about 4 working days before I got my new one.

Passports are very useful to have, not only for travel purposes, but also as a document of official identification when applying for stuff like mortgages and the like.

Elemental
2012-08-06, 01:09 AM
I believe the photograph requirements are to simulate what you're probably actually going to look like after spending too many hours in uncomfortable airline seats and waiting in airports. I've yet to see a smiling happy person at a border inspection who's spent 14+ hours on planes and having had to go through airport security (and eat airport food).

That made me laugh.
Excellent work, good sir.

Serpentine
2012-08-06, 01:54 AM
This is normal here, too. We usually have to wait for two months to get ours. And sometimes there's a problem, soyiu want yo make sure you have it in time.I may well be misremembering, but I don't think my British passport took more than one month. I have no idea how long my Australian one took.

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-06, 01:58 AM
It's supposed to take one month, but you should allow two or more just in case.

dehro
2012-08-08, 03:00 AM

clearly that's because there's only like.. four of you and the police have nothing else to do but to play Jenga :smallbiggrin: