PDA

View Full Version : Scout/Dervish help?

TimeLordLaxx
2012-08-03, 03:11 PM
We are starting a new level ten campaign and I have yet to pick anything. I picked scout and my friend mentions if i wanted to go melee like dual wield scimitars go dervish as well. So i was curious if anyone could help me out on a good optimized-ish build. Keep in mind the race is going to be home brewed around what I decide. Thanks in advance.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-03, 03:37 PM
Well, you're lucky it starts at level 10, otherwise you would have to sluf through 7 levels of not being able to make your feats and class abilities match :smallsmile:

Scout 7/Dervish 3 works.
You could also try a Swift Ranger build, like Scout 4/Ranger 3/Derivsh 3.
Also, try to get free movement from wealth by level. Cyran Gliding Goots, Quicksilver Boots and Anklets of Translocation (or all of it in the same item - Boots of All Scouts' Wet Dreams Come True) and Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker all help. Other than that, try to make DC 40 Tumble checks to move 10ft as a 5ft step. You can't use Dervish Dance all day long, after all.
Improved Skirmish always sounds like a good feat. If you're good, dipping Stalker of Kharrash for favored enemy (good) is also an option (an option that says "Oh, you're evil? So you're vulnerable to skirmish!").

Scout/Dervish is slow to start, but you're already past that point. I've played something similat to this (Scout 2/Paladin 4/Dragon Devotee 5/Unseen Seer 9 was the plan, but I never got to the Unseen Seer part), using turn undead to fuel Travel Devotion.

gorfnab
2012-08-03, 10:10 PM
Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXII - Dervish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206576#post11377594)

Here is a basic Dervish Build I have had some minor success with.

Human Scout 5/ Ranger 2/ Dervish 10/ Scout 3
Feats:
1. Expeditious Dodge or regular Dodge, Mobility
3. Weapon Finesse
4. B: Combat Expertise
6. Weapon Focus Scimitar
7. B: Two Weapon Fighting
9. Improved Two Weapon Fighting
12. Swift Hunter
15. Greater Two Weapon Fighting
18. *Open Feat*
20. B: Improved Skirmish

*Open Feat Options* - Improved Critical Scimitar (decent as usual), Elusive Target (negates Power Attackers), Improved Buckler Defense (nice AC boost, take a few levels earlier if necessary), Combat Reflexes (extra attacks, somewhat situational depending on the game), Deadly Defense (combos with Elaborate Parry), Flay Foe, or Nemesis (great for Arcane Hunter ACF)

The last level of Dervish can be dumped if necessary (A Thousand Cuts is 1/day anyways) for a level of Whirling Frenzy (UA) Spiritual Totem: Lion (CC) Barbarian (take the Barbarian level at level 8 before entering Dervish). This then means you could take Extra Rage (set to Whirling Frenzy) as your 18th level feat (or at 12 or 15 if you move Swift Hunter and GTWF around).

Salanmander
2012-08-04, 09:53 AM
If you can swing some way of getting pounce, that will help you trigger greater skirmish with multiple attacks more often. Of course, pounce is pretty hard to come by outside of lion totem barbarian 1.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-04, 10:11 AM
If you can swing some way of getting pounce, that will help you trigger greater skirmish with multiple attacks more often. Of course, pounce is pretty hard to come by outside of lion totem barbarian 1.
You're not really familiar with Dervishes, right? Moving while attacking is the shtick for this class.

animewatcha
2012-08-04, 06:45 PM
Where is the DC 40 tumble check for 10 ft step?

gorfnab
2012-08-04, 09:40 PM
Where is the DC 40 tumble check for 10 ft step?
Oriental Adventures page 58

TimeLordLaxx
2012-08-06, 02:00 AM
Well, you're lucky it starts at level 10, otherwise you would have to sluf through 7 levels of not being able to make your feats and class abilities match :smallsmile:

Scout 7/Dervish 3 works.
You could also try a Swift Ranger build, like Scout 4/Ranger 3/Derivsh 3.
Also, try to get free movement from wealth by level. Cyran Gliding Goots, Quicksilver Boots and Anklets of Translocation (or all of it in the same item - Boots of All Scouts' Wet Dreams Come True) and Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker all help. Other than that, try to make DC 40 Tumble checks to move 10ft as a 5ft step. You can't use Dervish Dance all day long, after all.
Improved Skirmish always sounds like a good feat. If you're good, dipping Stalker of Kharrash for favored enemy (good) is also an option (an option that says "Oh, you're evil? So you're vulnerable to skirmish!").

Scout/Dervish is slow to start, but you're already past that point. I've played something similat to this (Scout 2/Paladin 4/Dragon Devotee 5/Unseen Seer 9 was the plan, but I never got to the Unseen Seer part), using turn undead to fuel Travel Devotion.

In a thirty two point buy the racial stats being +2 to dex, +2 to strength and -2 to con what would be best? 12 Str 18 Dex, 14 Con,10 int,10 wis and 10 cha?

GenghisDon
2012-08-06, 02:12 AM
I like more well rounded characters. 16 dex (will be 20+magic) & the 6 points can raise str to 14 & int 14 (skills!) or some wisdom or even 12 12 12 for the mental stats.

What is the race? It looks like a wood elf, but with no INT penalty

TimeLordLaxx
2012-08-06, 04:02 AM
Homebrew kind of like a half dragon, its specific to the campaign we are going to be doing, would throwing in swashbuckler levels somewhere be usefull at all?

Gwendol
2012-08-06, 06:28 AM
What is the purpose of the swash levels? The weapon finesse feat does nothing for scimitars, and with that INT you get no damage bonus. Better take the advice given.

Eldariel
2012-08-06, 06:57 AM
What is the purpose of the swash levels? The weapon finesse feat does nothing for scimitars, and with that INT you get no damage bonus. Better take the advice given.

It does with Dervish's Slashing Blades that makes them Light Weapons for you.

That said, yeah, I'd go Strength-focus myself. Dex-focus loses out on a lot of damage and can't use combat maneuvers like Tripping efficiently (you already have Combat Expertise so this is something of a waste); I personally prefer Ranger 2/Scout 4/Dervish ->

Ranger 6/Scout 4 is fairly good in high levels (using Champion of Corellon Larethian to pick up extra feats out of Ranger).

Buut ya, 16 Str, 16 Dex, 14-12 Con, and you need at least 13 Int for Combat Expertise to get into Ranger. So yeah, that.

Gwendol
2012-08-06, 07:05 AM
Right. Since the build is better served by higher strength anyway, that suggestion for stats and classes will probably work out better. I can see the various mobility related features of the swashbuckler class help the scout trigger skirmish under more circumstances, but some of those can be achieved using skill tricks instead. Besides, Swift Hunter builds are not bad as base for the dervish.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-06, 08:57 AM
Right. Since the build is better served by higher strength anyway, that suggestion for stats and classes will probably work out better. I can see the various mobility related features of the swashbuckler class help the scout trigger skirmish under more circumstances, but some of those can be achieved using skill tricks instead. Besides, Swift Hunter builds are not bad as base for the dervish.

If by "not bad" you mean "the best choice there is", then I agree :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2012-08-06, 09:18 AM
If by "not bad" you mean "the best choice there is", then I agree :smallbiggrin:

I'm sure there are other builds that could possibly qualify, or at least my system mastery isn't nearly at a place where I would make such a definite statement myself. :smallwink:

Salanmander
2012-08-06, 09:30 AM
You're not really familiar with Dervishes, right? Moving while attacking is the shtick for this class.

I am, but as you said yourself, you can't dervish dance all day.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-06, 11:25 AM
I'm sure there are other builds that could possibly qualify, or at least my system mastery isn't nearly at a place where I would make such a definite statement myself. :smallwink:
I was just joking. ^^ Scout/Dervish is a really good combo, through.
I think a Cloistered Cleric dip for Travel Devotion is the best option mechanically for a Scout, but Dervish fits very well thematically.

TimeLordLaxx
2012-08-06, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the input! It has helped out a lot for what i want to do.