PDA

View Full Version : Human Subordination Magic 2.0 [PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-08-03, 04:14 PM
So awhile back, almost a year ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219146) now I had an idea to create a new "Summon X n" spell, based off of Fairy Tail's Zoldeo/Capricorn's Human Subordination Magic (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Human_Subordination), while this seemed like a really cool idea I kind of let it fall after I worked out the slight basics after the campaign it was used in. However it's going to get to see actual use in a campaign that is not run by me, but it still needs to be reviewed and checked over. The campaign itself won't happen until the end of august so I have plenty of time, I just plan to get it all set and approved ahead of time.

Here's what I ended up with as of the last time I worked on it:
Summon Hero I
Level: Summoner 1, Bard 1, Sorcerer 1
Components: V, S, F (A piece of or some item related to the Hero you are summoning)
Casting Time: 1 Round
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft./2 levels)
Effect: One Summoned Creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a Hero. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of it's abilities. If you can communicate with the hero, by sharing a language, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform some other action.

A summoned Hero cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature or Hero, nor can they use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Heroes cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.

Summon Hero II
Level: Summoner 2, Bard 2, Sorcerer 2
Components: V, S, F (A piece of or some item related to the Hero or Heroes you are summoning)
Effect: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30ft Apart.

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One 2nd-level Hero or 1d3 1st level Heroes.

Summon Hero III
Level: Summoner 3, Bard 3, Sorcerer 3
Components: V, S, F (A piece of or some item related to the Hero or Heroes you are summoning)

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One 3rd level Hero, 1d3 2nd-level Heros or 1d4+1 1st level Heroes.

The biggest issue with the invention of this spell is how to determine the power level of the Heroes summoned. My original system was this:
Heroes.
Spell level x2 −1 = CR of Hero (Minimum 1)
So ex. Summon Hero IX (9) nets 1 CR 17 Hero or 1d3 CR 15 Heroes, or 1d4+1 CR 13 (or lower) Heroes.

As you can probably assume this is just a little bit OP and that is what I want to try and fix for this run. Currently my though is to use the Caster Level - the level of the spell they can cast but that leaves things just a little bit, disjointed. Here's a side by side example for a Sorcerer (which the character I am making will be) between the original method and the thought of method
Caster Level | Summon Hero X | Hero Level V.2 (CL-SL) | Hero Level V.1 (SLx2-1)
20 | 9 | 11 | 17
19 | 9 | 10 | 17
18 | 9 | 9 | 17
17 | 8 | 9 | 15
16 | 8 | 8 | 15
15 | 7 | 8 | 13
14 | 7 | 7 | 13
13 | 6 | 7 | 11
12 | 6 | 6 | 11
11 | 5 | 6 | 9
10 | 5 | 5 | 9
9 | 4 | 5 | 7
8 | 4 | 4 | 7
7 | 3 | 4 | 5
6 | 3 | 3 | 5
5 | 2 | 3 | 3
4 | 2 | 2 | 3
3 | 1 | 2 | 1
2 | 1 | 1 | 1
1 | 1 | 0 | 1

As you can see one has a very slow start and keeps the Hero at about half your level. Whereas the other summons something almost your level, if not at most three levels lower. What I'm looking for is a nice method for this to work at a sort of midway point between the two progressions, if possible, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Ernir
2012-08-03, 04:54 PM
Whereas the other summons something almost your level, if not at most three levels lower. What I'm looking for is a nice method for this to work at a sort of midway point between the two progressions, if possible, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Have you looked at the average CR of the monsters summoned by the Summon Monster N spells?

Summon Monster IX gives you:
Couatl (CR 10)
Leonal (CR 12)
Celestial Roc (CR 11)
Elder Elemental (CR 11)
Hamatula (CR 11)
Fiendish Dire Shark (CR 11)
Fiendish Gargantuan Monstrous Scorpion (CR 12)
Night Hag (CR 9)
Bebilith (CR 10)
Fiendish Colossal Monstrous Spider (CR 13)
Hezrou (CR 11)

For a mean CR of 11.

You could calculate the average for all the other SM spells the same way, to figure out what CR "hero" you should be summoning.

The biggest question is of course how well these heroes chose their class levels...

ExemplarofAvg
2012-08-03, 05:55 PM
Hmm, was carousing through the PFSRD, and I think I came across something that could work, if I can fine tune/polish the mechanic. Effectively Summon Hero would give you a Cohort as per the leadership (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/leadership---final) feat but for a set duration 1/round per level, unless extended or lengthened. All I need to figure out is the mechanic equivalent to summoning multiple lower level creatures. Saves a lot of messy trouble I believe.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-08-04, 08:29 PM
So I think I have this all hashed out.
Because I started looking at the feats that modify summoning (Augment (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/augment-summoning---final) and Superior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/superior-summoning))
And because of that I think I just need a critique and maybe someone who is willing to use it and tell me how it goes (Power level-wise)
Summon Hero I
Level: Summoner 1, Bard 1, Sorcerer 1
Components: V, S, F (A piece of or some item related to the Hero you are summoning)
Effect: One Summoned Creature

This spell summons a Hero (with a Challenge Rating less than One). It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of it's abilities. If you can communicate with the hero, by sharing a language, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform some other action.

The Hero appears with Masterwork Versions of the equipment they would have used, the equipment created is merely replicas recreated by the spell and hold none of the other special abilities they may have originally held. The Equipment disappears along with the Hero when the duration of the spell is up.

A summoned Hero cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature or Hero, nor can they use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Heroes cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.

Summon Hero II
Level: Summoner 2, Bard 2, Sorcerer 2

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One CR 1 Hero or 1d3 CR>1 (Challenge Rating less than One) of the same Hero

Summon Hero III
Level: Summoner 3, Bard 3, Sorcerer 3

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One CR 3 level Hero, 1d3 CR 1 Heroes or 1d4+1 CR>1 (Challenge Rating less than One) Heroes.

Summon Hero IV
Level: Summoner 4, Bard 4, Sorcerer 4

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One CR 5 level Hero, 1d3 CR 3 Heroes or 1d4+1 CR 1 Heroes.

Summon Hero V
Level: Summoner 5, Bard 5, Sorcerer 5

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One CR 7 level Hero, 1d3 CR 5 Heroes or 1d4+1 CR 3 Heroes.

Summon Hero VI
Level: Summoner 6, Bard 6, Sorcerer 6

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One CR 9 level Hero, 1d3 CR 7 Heroes or 1d4+1 CR 5 Heroes.

Summon Hero VII
Level: Summoner 7, Bard 7, Sorcerer 7

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One CR 11 level Hero, 1d3 CR 9 Heroes or 1d4+1 CR 7 Heroes.

Summon Hero VIII
Level: Summoner 8, Bard 8, Sorcerer 8

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One CR 13 level Hero, 1d3 CR 11 Heroes or 1d4+1 CR 9 Heroes.

Summon Hero IX
Level: Summoner 9, Bard 9, Sorcerer 9

This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon One CR 15 level Hero, 1d3 CR 13 Heroes or 1d4+1 CR 11 Heroes.*NOTE*
If you are going to use this, or implement this, stat out your summonable heroes ahead of time, I don't have specific stats or a table listed because the options are just that open.