PDA

View Full Version : dwarf front line fighter

LTwerewolf
2012-08-03, 04:59 PM
I play in a game with a pretty vast array of players. A few folks that have never played before, and a couple that are power gamers.

My girlfriend is interested in playing a dwarf front line fighter type. The DM had made her character the first time around, but we're at a turning point in the adventure and is allowing everyone to rework their characters. She's currently just a fighter/dwarven defender, but I find it a rather uninspired build. I'm also a bit biased against dwarven defender since the primary class feature requires you to root yourself.

My question is what would be a better build for her needs? I came up with a barbarian (lion totem) 1/fighter 2/warblade 5/ deepwarden 2 (with an animated tower shield and a two handed weapon). The build i came up with was intended to give her the option of either going in to recklessly attack, or to bulk up and be defensive. She likes being able to take hits, but she also really enjoys when she smashes face.

Our dm is one of the powergamers, and typically tries to use all the rules against us, so he makes sure none of our enemies are clumped up, etc. He also metagames a bit so our enemies miraculously know our buffs (I have taken to writing my buffs on a sheet of paper, then telling him why the effect didn't work afterwards).

In our games most books are allowed (including ToB), with the exception of some of the more obscure or game breaking books (like UA).

edit:As an aside, I've decided to change my character from being an archivist/wizard to something else, but haven't decided what yet. Our DM was constantly getting frustrated that I had an answer for everything he threw at us. Admittedly, I did cheese a bit and go dragonwrought kobold and did early entry. It seems our group may need another meat shield, so was thinking about ardent, but would be up for suggestions.

Alejandro
2012-08-03, 05:08 PM
Is she set on being a melee character? If your DM is a powergamer, and the characters are already 10th level, her PC will soon not be able to do much, no matter what she tries.

LTwerewolf
2012-08-03, 05:11 PM
Yeah she's pretty set on being melee, and a dwarf (though she'd probably be fine with sub-races). Our DM usually just tries to kill me and give the rest of the group a good challenge. I tend to face most of the nastier effects.

PinkysBrain
2012-08-03, 05:25 PM
My question is what would be a better build for her needs? I came up with a barbarian (lion totem) 1/fighter 2/warblade 5/ deepwarden 2
I'd just suggest her to play Warblade and show her some of the good manoeuvres (print out the cards BTW) and let her figure out the rest ... how can she get invested in a character she didn't design?

Urpriest
2012-08-03, 07:58 PM
The closest match would be a Crusader\Deepstone Sentinel. Have you considered something like that?

Mirakk
2012-08-03, 11:31 PM
I made a powerhouse dwarf once that was a cleric 5/Prestige Paladin 1/Ordained Champion 4 at level 10.

ACFs: Spontaneous Domain Cleric, Divine Spirit, and Pool of Healing
Domains: Protection/Earth/War

Level 1: Battle Blessing, Power Attack*, Combat Expertise*
Level 3: Touch of Healing
Level 5 (Granted): Improved Trip (From OC Feature)
Level 6: Awesome Smite
Level 9: Holy Warrior
Level 12: Improved Combat Expertise

Flaws: Murky-Eyed (Reroll concealment checks), Shaky (-2 ranged attacks)
(These were chosen because my character has just one eye, and I thought it was fitting)

Feats Gained from Flaws: Power Attack, Combat Expertise

Basically the premise is to be able to cast 2 flame strikes in a round at later levels for ranged DPS. Close in and use the ordained champion's smite with awesome smite to trip and pick up the follow-up attack with a Power Attack for melee damage. Could also channel touch spells and use paladin spells like a boss to hit like a truck at all times. Combat Expertise and being able to turn spell slots into DR that stacks with Stoneskin makes you a very tough frontliner indeed. With all this, you're still a capable healer for the party due to your healing spirit, Lay Hands, Pool of Healing, wands, and healing spells at your disposal as a cleric. For downtime, Touch of Healing is great, and with a Amulet of Retributive Healing (2,000gp), you're constantly keeping your HP topped off between fights with ease.

Can spontaneously turn spells into Protection and War domain spells so you only ever prepare earth domain spells as your slots for the day. Caster progression is very nice, allowing you more options than a paladin, but with all the paladin goodies (Holy Sword FTW) too.

I chose the Divine Spirit ACF for flavor purposes because my character revered the ancestors of his clan and wore representations of them on his persons as tribute. One was a healer, one was a fighter etc, and it really matched up well with what the divine spirits were, so I just named them and it gave some really cool roleplaying opportunities to educate the non-dwarves in the party about my lineage.

I hope this helps. I love Dwarves, and this was the most fun I ever had playing one. Most of that came from backstory and roleplaying choices (I refused to speak in any language but dwarven, and adhered to dwarven traditions at all times for instance). She might not be too interested in the amount of spell usage in this, but at least I got to share this with the community :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2012-08-04, 01:02 AM
With a 12 int, she could go Ranger1/Fighter2/Barb2/Deepwarden2/EWM2/PiusTemplar1 by level 10. Weapon of choice is the Urgrosh. The key is to only wield one end of it at a time. You can take advantage of both Flurry of Strikes and Uncanny Blow to get extra attacks per round that deal 2x str to damage. Con to AC makes you SAD, and with Steadfast Determination you dont need wisdom anymore . Pius templar gives you mettle, which is useful with a strong fort and will save.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-04, 01:19 AM
I'm seconding Deepwarden 2. That is always awesome for melee dwarves. A whole lot of awesome for very little investment.

LTwerewolf
2012-08-05, 01:21 PM
She decided to go with a variation of keld's build. Our DM only allows us to cross into 4 classes total, so I had to trim a bit. Thank you all for your ideas.

dantiesilva
2012-08-05, 01:33 PM
Im actual doing a build now. Crusader 7/ Deepwarden2/Deepstone sentinal 1 with the right manuevers you are doing 8d8 and 4d6 damage before using a weapon. And all your allies gain +8 to hit you gain +4 and your enemies gain +0. Its amazing. Just finish the deepstone sentinal and she is all set. For optimized spiked chain.