PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 2: Halloween

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

-Sentinel-
2012-08-03, 09:33 PM
Recruitment thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250561)
IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251800)

Welcome to the OOC thread! Please re-post your character sheets, including description and background, as threads in the Recruitment section don't last forever.

I don't insist on picking a speech color, but do it if you want to.

List of characters:
{table]Player|Character Sheet
ToySoldierCPlus|Leon Chane (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/16387)
Sir_Gabes|Patrick Murphy (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19580)
Savior Indra|Kale Arcturus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428231)
SurlySeraph|Semira Gebre (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427911)
Lycan01|Jonah Nealson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428756)
Odentin|Adam Correll (sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19706)
McGonigle|Jaime Aaron (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19735)
Misaat|Matthew Gunz (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=376899)[/table]

Notable NPCs, Halloween:

* = survivor of the Halloween Massacre
† = deceased

Mr Owen Thompson: Headmaster of Maxwell College for nearly twenty years. An overweight, serious-looking man with a short grey beard and glasses.

*Zach Lewis: Head of the Sigma Kappa Phi society. The very stereotype of the wealthy frat boy, known for his wild parties, his womanizing and his seemingly endless funds. Has attended Maxwell for nearly a decade and still has no degree. Traditional organizer of Halloween parties, including the one in which the Halloween Massacre happened. Dark-haired, athletic and handsome, with a ready smile.

*Jamie Price: Close friend of Zach Lewis and former member of the Sigma Kappa Phi society. Graduated last year from the police academy and is now serving in the Chicago police department. Tall and wiry, with bleached hair.

*Mark Edwards: Star football player of Maxwell University and captain of the team since Gavin Wade's death in the Halloween Massacre. Stands a good chance of reaching the major leagues by next year. Tall and stocky, with short-cropped red hair.

*Michelle Warner: President of the student council and third-year law student. Was injured to the leg and lost her then-boyfriend Gavin Wade in the Halloween Massacre. Has become something of an unofficial spokeswoman for the survivors and the victims' families. Tall, pretty and red-haired.

*Wayne Borden: Heavily tattooed skinhead, well known for his far-right views and his NRA-backed campaign to loosen gun laws on campus in the wake of the Halloween Massacre. A controversial individual, to say the least.

*Sara Crawford: Literature major and part-time writer. Dubbed the Halloween Hero by the media after shielding her boyfriend Soong Ye-jun with her own body during the Halloween Massacre, in the process taking a bullet to the lower spine and becoming paraplegic.

*Soong Ye-jun: Doctoral student in computer science and Sara Crawford's fiancé. A short, lean South Korean with glasses.

*Marco Alvarez: International student from Mexico, who changed his major from history to theology after surviving the Halloween Massacre and becoming a born-again Christian. Determined to become a priest.

*Ellen Dobson: Journalism major and editor of the school newspaper. Currently working on a documentary about the Halloween Massacre and its effects on the community of Maxwell University.

† Ian Keating: Perpetrator of the Halloween Massacre, in which he killed three students and injured eight with his handgun two years prior. Committed suicide in the restrooms afterwards, still wearing his Nixon mask and American flag. Before the shooting, he was a quiet first-year civil engineering student with no known mental problems. Lean and blond.

Allison Keating: Ian's sister, and consequently not the winner of any popularity contests in Maxwell. Second-year student in psychology. Known as a rather shy and reserved person, like her brother. Blond hair, slight build and glasses.

† Nathan Rosenberg: First fatality of the Halloween Massacre. Shot point-blank in the back of the head at the very start of the shooting.

† Gavin Wade: Michelle Warner's boyfriend and captain of the football team. Killed in an attempt to tackle the Halloween shooter to the ground. African-American.

† Sophia Neveux: Kale Arcturus' girlfriend. Shot twice in the back during the Halloween Massacre, she succumbed to her injuries in Kale's arms fifteen minutes later. She was later found to have been five weeks pregnant.

Karen Turner: One of the newest members of the RPG Club. Biker, amateur boxer and all-around troublemaker with a long criminal record. Her last encounter with vampires left her addicted to vitae, but also gifted with limited supernatural abilities such as rapid healing and an ability to augment her own strength. Rather brawny, with long brown hair.

Vishakha: Karen's roommate (*cough*) and second-year international student in medicine. Non-practicing Sikh. Short, slight and rather cute, with black hair and light-brown skin.

Notable NPCs, Finals Week:

† = deceased

Mr Owen Thompson: Headmaster of Maxwell College for nearly twenty years. An overweight, serious-looking man with a short grey beard and glasses.

Dr Warren Freeman: Chair of the English Department and influential member of the Chicago Ashwood Abbey Cell. Jonah's teacher in the classroom and in the Vigil.

Zach Lewis: Head of the Sigma Kappa Phi society. The very stereotype of the wealthy frat boy, known for his wild parties, his womanizing and his seemingly endless funds. Has attended Maxwell for nearly a decade and still has no degree. Currently in a casual relationship with, among others, Semira. Dark-haired, athletic and handsome, with a ready smile and nonchalant manner.

Jamie Price: Close friend of Zach Lewis, former member of the Sigma Kappa Phi fraternity and ex-cop. Now suspected of committing the Halloween Massacre two years prior and framing Ian Keating for the crime. Currently in a psychiatric ward after some events snapped his mind last Halloween. Tall and wiry, with bleached hair.

Mark Edwards: Quiet, laconic quarterback and captain of Maxwell University's football team. Stands a good chance of reaching the major leagues by next year. Tall and stocky, with short-cropped red hair.

Michelle Warner: President of the student council and third-year law student. Lost her then-boyfriend Gavin Wade in the Halloween Massacre, after which she became something of an unofficial spokeswoman for the survivors. Was seen dating Kale not long ago. Tall, pretty and red-haired.

Wayne Borden: Heavily tattooed skinhead, well known for his far-right views, his love for the Second Amendment and his hatred for the federal government. Not the most popular guy on campus.

Sara Crawford: Literature major and part-time writer. Dubbed the Halloween Hero by the media after shielding her boyfriend Soong Ye-jun with her own body during the Halloween Massacre, in the process taking a bullet to the lower spine and becoming paraplegic.

Soong Ye-jun: Doctoral student in computer science and Sara Crawford's fiancé. A short, lean South Korean with glasses.

Marco Alvarez: International student from Mexico, who changed his major from history to theology after surviving the Halloween Massacre and becoming a born-again Christian. Well on his way to priesthood.

Ellen Dobson: Journalism major and iron-fisted editor of the school newspaper. Always looking for scoops, rumors and interviews, which sometimes leads her to stick her nose where it doesn't belong.

† Ian Keating: Civil engineering student killed during the Halloween Massacre and framed for it. Came back as a ghost to help her sister Allison set the record straight, then left the mortal world. Lean and blond.

Allison Keating: Ian's sister, second-year student in psychology and amateur archer. A rather reserved person ever since her brother's death, she set up an elaborate and ultimately successful plan to expose the actual Halloween killer and bring him to justice. Adam has a thing for her. Small stature, short blond hair and glasses.

† Nathan Rosenberg: Victim of the Halloween Massacre. Jewish.

† Gavin Wade: Michelle Warner's late boyfriend, captain of the football team and victim of the Halloween Massacre. African-American.

† Sophia Neveux: Kale's girlfriend. Shot mortally during the Halloween Massacre, she succumbed to her injuries in Kale's arms. She was five weeks pregnant at the time of her death.

Karen Turner: One of the newest members of the RPG Club. Biker, amateur boxer and all-around troublemaker with a criminal record. A past experience with vampires left her addicted to vitae (vampire blood), but also gifted with supernatural abilities such as rapid healing and bursts of strength. Rather brawny, with long dark-brown hair, grey eyes and tattoos.

Vishakha Rani: Karen's roommate (*cough*) and second-year international student in medicine. Non-practising Sikh. Short, slight and rather cute, with black hair and light-brown skin.

Amy and Steve: Young couple apparently unable to keep their pants on for more than five minutes.

Maps:
Maxwell University (http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6913/maxwellmap.png)
Tyler Hall (http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6113/tylerhall.png)

Odentin
2012-08-03, 09:47 PM
{table]Player|Character Sheet
ToySoldierCPlus|Leon Chane (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/16387)
Sir_Gabes|Patrick Murphy (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19580)
Savior Indra|Kale Arcturus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428231)
SurlySeraph|Semira Gebre (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427911)
Lycan01|Jonah Nealson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428756)
Odentin|Adam Correll (sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19706)
McGonigle|Jaime (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19735)[/table]

Backstories:
Leon: This thing on? Testing, testing... Okay, good, I think it's working. I hope it is; I don't want to have to do this more than once.

My name is Leon Chane. I am a Junior at Maxwell College outside of Chicago, Illinois, United States of America, Earth, Sol, Fifth Arm, Milky Way, the Universe. I am studying Biology, and have recently seen some things that I cannot adequately explain. I am making this recording so that I will have some record of myself left behind, in the event that the unfortunate happens. I... I don't want to disappear into the darkness. I've done a bit of research, and that seems to happen all too often.

I'm losing focus. This is supposed to be a summary of my life, and all I'm doing is talking about my death. Well, that hasn't happened yet, so I'm going to move away from it for a while. I was born in Beverly, Massachusetts, the only child of a middle class family. Said family is still back out east, and consists of my parents, my aunt and uncle, and their son, Saul. We don't talk. But I'm not there yet.

I was stuck going to Catholic schools my whole life. Elementary, middle, and high school, all Catholic. Saul apparently went to the same schools as me, but I was never there with him. That's what happens when your cousin is six years older than you, I guess. Anyway, I never much liked it. I had some friends, even met my girlfriend back in high school. Not a bad childhood, certainly, but could have better. I should specify that I'm not Catholic, I'm not even really religious, but again, I'm not there yet.

My girlfriend. Girl named Missy. She's still back out east, too. Wonderful girl. Senior prom with her was the best night of my life, if you catch my drift. I don't know who might listen to this, so I don't want to say too much about it, but you can infer what you like. The long-distance-relationship-thing was pretty hard at first, and we nearly broke up freshman year, but we worked it out, and obviously we're still together, or else I wouldn't be saying any of this. I'm actually kind of glad she's not here now; it makes this job a lot easier.

All right, I think I'm there. I've covered school up to now, brief on my family, my girlfriend, I may as well talk about it now. Objectively speaking, Saul was the ultimate cousin. He was always ready to help me with anything, and being six years my senior gave him a real edge in getting through to me. He lived close enough by that we saw each other all the time. He was my best friend. For a while, at least. See, Saul believed he could see ghosts. Actually, Hell, for all I know at this point, he probably could see ghosts. He was also religious. Raised Catholic, just like me, but the teachings, they resonated with him. Not all of them, I'm sure, but enough that he was able to believe. Not so with me. My atheism started when I was a child. Back then, I was just too little to really care. Mass was something my parents dragged me to on Sundays and Holidays, and all I could think about was how bored I was and how much I wanted to be at home playing. That grew into full teenage rebellion, which eventually cooled and solidified into stagnant defiance. Alone, this probably wouldn't have been an issue, and Saul never commented on it. Oh sure, he was more than happy to talk to me about my beliefs, or lack thereof, and he tried to explain how and why he believed, but I didn't want to hear it. By the time I was in high school, and had reached the stagnant obstinacy phase, I thought his beliefs were stupid, and he was stupid for holding them. It was the same with his "ghost sight" and his major in college, parapsychology. Sure, the fact that he could see ghosts was cool when I was six and needed something to impress the kids on the playground with. But when I was 13, 14 years old, and he was studying that as a thing? Not so much. He always tried to be reasonable with me, and patient. He was my sponsor when my parents forced me through my Confirmation. He even tried to talk me out of going through with it. Spoke to Mom on my behalf, said he didn't feel I was ready. She wouldn't hear of it. "No son of mine is going to miss his Confirmation." Well, I made it, and then just stopped. No more church, not even on Christmas and Easter. I wouldn't have any of it. And all the while, through all the disrespect and anger, Saul never judged. He never got angry with me for not believing in God, or for questioning his abilities. He had his beliefs, and he respected me enough to let me have mine without trying to convince me that I was wrong. I think that's what drove me over the edge. I refused to go to his graduation party when he was finished with college, because I didn't want to celebrate his, as I said at the time, "achievements in ignorance." I was stupid, but I never heard anything about it from Saul. I just stopped talking to him, never returned calls, made sure I was out if I knew he was coming by. Eventually, he stopped trying. He stopped calling to check up on me, went through pleasantries at family gatherings but didn't try to talk to me, stopped coming by the house to see if I wanted to catch a movie or go swimming. We just... stopped talking. I kind of regret that now. It would be nice to have someone back home to confide in, someone who might know a bit about this stuff I'm wrapped up in, and might be able to keep an eye on Missy for me, since I can't be there to protect her myself. But that's what happens when you burn bridges.

Anyway, I'm almost done. Like I said, I regret cutting ties with Saul, but what's done is done, and I can't get in touch with him now, not after the way I acted when he graduated. I've also started questioning my religious beliefs, but I haven't gotten around to sitting down and doing a full re-examination of what I believe just yet. Partly it's because I don't have the time, partly it's because I think I'm waiting for some kind of epiphany, but mostly I just don't want to face myself and own up to the fact that I've never really put any thought into what I believe. I guess I've already owned part of it by saying it here, but that's not good enough for me. I want to believe. It'd be nice to think that, even if the darkness is too thick, and my candle gets snuffed out, I won't just disappear into the black void of oblivion. That maybe all of this will be worth something, someday. I'm just having trouble reconciling that with what I've seen of the darkness. How can any loving God allow this kind of **** to exist? It's a question I don't have an answer to. I know who would. He always knew how to reconcile this kind of stuff. But I can't call him and ask him this. It's been too long.

Speaking of too long, it seems my vichisoise of verbiage has veered most verbose, so I'm going to shut up. The gang's meeting in 10 minutes, and my room's on the opposite side of campus from the campus center. ...I'm glad I did this. It was a good idea. Thanks, Saul.

Semira: Semira Gebre was born and raised to the age of ten in Eritrea, a country often described as “the North Korea of Africa.” She still isn't sure what her father did there or why they had to leave. She knows he did something for the military – something that made him jump at shadows and sleep with an AK next to the bed, even in the richest district of Asmara. The martial arts classes, lists of escape routes from their home, and rants about how to spot a liar were probably intended to make Semira safer. They certainly didn't make her feel safe.

Life did seem to get a bit harsher in early 2003. There were a couple times the police kicked their door open before dawn, instead of just knocking loudly and yelling that they needed to speak to the man of the house like in earlier days. Semira woke up fast enough to clamber out and hide on the fire escape, just like her father had told her. But it never seemed like an emergency – just the way things were. So it came as a surprise when Sem's older brother hustled her out of bed and told her that they needed to catch a plane. She vividly remembers stuffing toys into her jacket pockets as he dragged her downstairs by the hand, to the car where their parents were already waiting.

The next eight years of her life were spent in a bad part of Detroit. Semira hated it at first. Tiny apartment, less food, leering vagrants instead of soldiers on every corner. At least school was more fun. She got **** for her accent, but classes were more interesting, and the teachers liked when you asked questions about the world. And as she entered her teens, Sem began to appreciate how much cuter and less shy American boys were.

She certainly appreciated being able to visit her friends houses, and having places to go when she didn't want to deal with her parents. Jokes about how a girl as pretty as her shouldn't spend so much time doing homework were a lot less distracting than angry speeches about how “They” will inevitably come for “Us.” In addition to socializing, Semira spent more and more time studying with Ivri – her childhood Krav Maga teacher, who'd coincidentally also ended up in Detroit. Or, “coincidentally.” Sem never mentioned to her family that she'd met Ivri again, and grew to suspect that he was one of the “They.” Sure, she felt safe around Ivri. But she'd dated a guy who made her feel safe, and ended up breaking his elbow when he held a knife to her throat. Feelings were no guarantee.

What Semira really wanted was to get away from everyone who knew her, who knew her weaknesses. Sure she had friends, but they knew all the dumb **** she'd done in middle school, things they could say to make her stop in her tracks... her friends just made her feel vulnerable. College was an enormous relief. She could lose herself in the crowd when she wanted, and stand out when she wanted. She could even have a bit of authority for once in her life, teaching self-defense classes. Not only was college more fun, it felt vastly safer than her school years. So much safer that for the first time in her life, Sem began to get... bored.

Halfway through freshman year, one of her students approached her after class. She asked Semira if she could help with a little problem, one that a club she was in was trying to deal with. It was related to self-defense.

Sem hasn't been bored since.
Jonah:
Jonah Nealson's life was relatively normal until a few weeks ago. He grew up in a nice home, went to nice schools, and was generally a nice guy. He always excelled at history and literature, particularly in topics regarding folklore, legends, and gothic literature. "Weird" subjects in their respective fields, they were things he enjoyed learning about, and learned them well. His only real flaw, if you could call it that, was that he was an introvert, and naturally shy. Once he got to college, though, he began to grow slightly more comfortable with social situations. He became particularly comfortable with talking to his professors.

And unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective), this is what got him into the situation he's in now.

One of his English professors took notice of Jonah's fascination with folklore and legends. Most professors would have told him to invest in more useful studies, but this teacher actually encouraged it. Eventually, the good doctor invited Jonah to a small dinner party he was holding with some friends. He had been under the impression that the professor wanted to show off his star pupil. He was partially right.

The handful of men at the dinner had been scholars, doctors, and other well-to-do gentlemen. The meal went well, and Jonah had found himself surprisingly comfortable and at ease with the present company. Eventually, the professor mentioned that they were all part of a small hunting club.

"Hunting is about more than just shooting your prey and slapping its head up on the wall," the professor had informed him. "You have to know what you're hunting. Facts and information. Appearance, behavior, habitats, tactics, et cetera. And, well... We need someone who knows a thing or two about the things we're hunting. And that's where you come in."

Jonah had been a bit perplexed. But he decided to roll with it. No sense in disappointing his professor and his friends, right? "Alright, sure. I'm game. What are we hunting? Deer, squirrel, duck...? I mean, it shouldn't be too hard for me to look up stuff on those things. Um....... why are you all smiling like that?"

And that's how Jonah unwittingly joined Ashwood Abbey.

The gentlemen had done the old song and dance with the red and white balls. Jonah had, surprise surprise, pulled the white ball out of the bag, and had thus been designated as the leader of his first hunt. There had been much laughter and mirth at his expense. The scrawny little scholar was to lead a monster hunt, that's rich! He couldn't even fire a pistol! Some of the Abbey members had even expressed private doubts and worries to the professor. Yeah, the boy was smart, but...... They'd expected him to either blow it, or be brutally slaughtered.

They were wrong.

Jonah survived. In fact, his nigh-encyclopedic knowledge of legends, folklore, and monsters had prevented the group from walking into a trap. Twice. He knew all his prey's tricks, knew how to counter its every move, and knew how to hunt it down like the beast it was. And while the rest of the group had cornered the creature and prepared to deliver the final blow, Jonah had told them where to land the last strike while he cheered them on from behind a video camera, recording the hunt and its results for the Abbey's private records. He found the killing bits to be nasty business, but the gathering of knowledge, experience, and information.... that was something he enjoyed.

That was two weeks ago. The professor congratulated Jonah on a job well done, and had pointed him in the direction of a new club on campus. An up-and-coming hunter cell, comprised of fellow students. The professor felt that Jonah would be more comfortable there for the time being, giving him a chance to hone his skills and become more accustomed to the life of a Hunter. The Abbey would keep in touch, and let him know when they would have need of his services again.
Adam: Adam Correll is a quiet, stoic young man currently studying at Maxwell College. He isn't a very social man, usually focusing on his classes or his spot on the school's archery team. He has been shooting in competition since his freshman year of high school, and has been invited to join the US Olympic team for the next Summer Olympics.
And then there's the Vigil. In reality, Adam's love of archery was borne of necessity. His father was a Hunter long before Adam was even born, and he trained Adam to hunt and kill vampires from a very young age. His skill with a bow proved invaluable in staking the beasts from afar, allowing his father to finish the job with (relative) ease.
With Adam's father's death a couple of years ago, Adam decided to cut back on his hunting and further his normal life. The Vigil kept calling him back, though, and time and again, he allows himself to join with the group and hunt down the creatures of darkness.
Jaime: Jaime Aaron’s

Her view of the campus newspaper was slightly optimistic, she arrived full of ideas of what the university paper would be like. None of which matched the reality of the paper no one really read, full of people looking for something to pump up their CV’s. She pressed on researching and submitting the articles that she wanted to write. Continuing despite the overall policy against publishing freshmen meant very few of her articles made the cut. That was till halfway though the year the new editor was elected and he finally gave Jaime a regular slot in the paper and when she brought in an article about gender bias in recent budget cuts it made the front page.

All this encouraged Jaime, and she began seeking her next big story. Which lead her to find out about the vigilantes, it was just after exams and instead of going to parties to celebrate she was in the middle of hoping between celebrations writing her first article for next year, a slightly more radical guide to campus safety.

That was when she started looking into some of the rumours she had been hearing about Phi Epsilion, isolated comments about how people would never go to one of their parties again. So she went to a few of their parties and was slightly surprised to find that the fraternity was not the seething den of ‘lad culture’ she had been expecting.

If things had went differently she probably would have been dead, what saved her was hr passion, her tendency to keep speaking about her work for the paper ignoring how interested her roommate actually was. Jaime’s roommate caught the warning signs: the mention of twisted Masonic imagery, the ‘inner parties’ and guessed what was really behind the façade of grandeur. She had been in the vigilantes long enough to suspect that some members of the fraternity were dabbling with the occult. She tried to dissuade Jaime, but her stubbornness won though, still her roommate won a promise to get Jaime to check in regularly.

Jaime continued with her investigation, pretending to date one of the sophmores got her into the house before a party and she was able to hide in the locked room of the inner party before it began. So she waited as the party started and got into full swing, till some of the senior members dragged in a passed out freshman, and tied him in the middle of the strange chalk line, that were drawn all over the floor.

She still was dismissing the entire thing as some weird hazing ritual till the knife came out, she panicked and tried to slip out the door. That was when she was noticed and easily overpowered by one of the frat boys. It was at that point she rang her room mate, then began asking questions, she admitted later she didn’t think she was making it out of their alive, but at least their would be evidence to condemn her killers. Her journalistic integrity brought her the 10 minutes it took the vigilantes to find her.

Officially, Phi Epsilion burnt down that night, apparently due to some foolishness involving vodka and cooking, 6 senior members of the fraternity, perished in the fire before fire fighters could get them. Jaime wrote a very touching memorial piece for the 6 who died, uncharacteristically omitting negative aspects like the drug use, the rumours of sexual assault and the activities they had got up to in that ‘secret party.’

Since that night Jaime has been an active member of the ‘RPG group,’ though she is still fairly green her investigative skills and connections in the paper provide an interesting asset for the group. Already some of the vigilante’s more public consequences have adopted other explanations thanks to her early articles and lazy reporting from other sources.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-03, 09:58 PM
'Kay, Odentin wins that one. Leon will speak in his former color of Dark Slate Blue once again.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-03, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the table, Odentin.

I'll still let each of you repost your character's description and background, in case you need to add details, rephrase, etc.

Odentin
2012-08-03, 11:13 PM
Adam will speak in Dark Slate Gray.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-04, 12:31 AM
Semira will speak in orange

Lycan 01
2012-08-04, 07:58 AM
Jonah will talk in blue. :smallsmile:

savior indra
2012-08-04, 08:44 AM
Kale will be dark red

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-04, 03:05 PM
I guess I will go Green

-Sentinel-
2012-08-05, 04:37 PM
The IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251800) is up. I'm giving the characters some time to introduce themselves, discuss a bit, etc.

Lycan 01
2012-08-05, 05:38 PM
Should we all already know we're all Hunters? Or should there be some vague mystery or lack of communication? :smallconfused:

-Sentinel-
2012-08-05, 06:09 PM
The club's purpose is known to all members. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I like your writing, Lycan. :smallsmile:

Lycan 01
2012-08-05, 06:16 PM
Thank you. I'll go back and edit, though, to make Jonah a knowing member of the club.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-05, 10:37 PM
@ savior: Well-written post, but this all starts at the RPG club. Right now, the memorial is still covered with a tarp, pending the official unveiling. The characters will attend the ceremony a bit later, so I encourage you to save your post for when it's appropriate.

Another note: it's a warm day for the season.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-07, 03:21 PM
Heh, I completely overlooked that the data was the 25th, not the 31th.

Odentin
2012-08-07, 07:58 PM
Think we all made that mistake. Whoops.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-07, 11:19 PM
I'm impressed with the level of activity! I'll leave you one more day before I move on to the ceremony.

Lycan 01
2012-08-09, 06:56 PM
Did Jonah see Leon's friend accost him, and if so, was he able to get close enough in time to hear that little exchange? :smalleek:

-Sentinel-
2012-08-09, 09:16 PM
Did Jonah see Leon's friend accost him, and if so, was he able to get close enough in time to hear that little exchange? :smalleek:
It's entirely possible that he saw Karen, but she's speaking in a low voice since she's in public and doesn't like near-strangers to know about her problems and weaknesses. If you want to eavesdrop, roll a Wits test (with a +1 bonus cuz I'm a nice Storyteller).

But as we saw in the opening posts of the game, Karen's addiction to vitae appears to be common knowledge among the vigilantes.

Odentin
2012-08-10, 03:56 AM
Anyone seen Sir_Gabes since we've started? He hasn't posted since choosing a speech color...

SurlySeraph
2012-08-10, 05:02 AM
He's posted a few times since then. Last time was yesterday. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1947417)

EDIT: In other games, I mean.

Odentin
2012-08-10, 05:06 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. He hasn't posted in THIS game since choosing a speech color. Shoulda made that clear... XP

-Sentinel-
2012-08-10, 07:04 AM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll PM him.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-12, 03:13 PM
Some excellent roleplay there... I suggest that Leon and Semira both roll a Presence + Persuasion test to drive their point home. Granted, Leon wasn't being particularly diplomatic there and probably won't make friends with Michelle, but you can get others to side with you against her.

Odentin
2012-08-12, 06:15 PM
Aaaaand the "RPG Club" sides with the killer's sister. Congratulations, all! We've just made ourselves social pariahs! Those of us who weren't already, that is. >.<

Lycan 01
2012-08-12, 06:49 PM
Eh, Jonah was already low on the social food chain. Rock bottom won't bring much noticeable difference for him. :smalltongue:

Odentin
2012-08-12, 06:53 PM
I don't think any of us are really all that high on the social food chain, but still...

savior indra
2012-08-12, 08:50 PM
I'm actually really glad I made Kale leave now this s*itstorm went down.

It would've been ridiculously difficult and awkward if Kale had stayed. On one hand he wouldn't have wanted to disappoint the RPG club members, on the other hand Kale respects Michelle a LOT for her mental toughness (and he REALLY hates Ian so there would be more bias there)

savior indra
2012-08-12, 08:59 PM
I keep screwing up the dice roll from my check in the IC thread so I'll just do it here.

Computer + Wits (2+3)

savior indra
2012-08-12, 09:00 PM
I think I'll just let the ST roll. I'm failing really hard right now.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-12, 09:26 PM
For me, Leon's reaction wasn't entirely based on his character. I lost my brother at the beginning of the summer, under circumstances that don't let me blame anyone but him, and I can't even do that. If somebody saw me bringing flowers to a memorial to him, and tried to stop me from honoring my "psycho brother," I think I'd wind up with an aggravated assault conviction. So I sympathized pretty heavily with Allison, which flowed into Leon, hence his fiery reaction. Don't worry, though. I'm okay with the way this is going so far.

Anyway, Presence + Persuasion? That'd be 2 dice: [roll0]
In case of tens: [roll1]

-Sentinel-
2012-08-12, 09:46 PM
@ ToySoldierCPlus: ...Damn. I really hope my themes and scenes aren't painful to you.

@ Savior: Here's your roll. [roll0] - No successes...
Potential 10-agains: [roll1]

Just a warning though, I'm going to treat hacking somewhat realistically and avoid such silliness as everything being online (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EverythingIsOnline). Some info like security footage cannot be found from your laptop, no matter how many successes you roll.

Edit: Update coming tomorrow. Savior, despite the poor roll, I'll still give you some of the info you're looking for, because some of it can be found via a simple Google search (college's website for the map, post-massacre news articles for biographical info about Ian Keating, etc).

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-13, 07:42 AM
@ ToySoldierCPlus: ...Damn. I really hope my themes and scenes aren't painful to you.

No worries. Like I said, I can handle it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't be here.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-13, 11:13 AM
I'll roll Semira's Presence 2 + Persuasion 4.

[roll0]

Yeah, could have been better.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-13, 03:29 PM
Thanks for rolling that for me. (Long day. Long story. Involves rain and mouse surgery).

Odentin
2012-08-13, 03:57 PM
(OOC: Are my updates too long? Don't be afraid to tell me so.)

Not too long, per se, but it'd be nice to be able to have a chance to interact with the NPC's in between their conversations with each other.

Not that I know a way to do that smoothly.

Anyways, I interrupted the post...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-13, 04:07 PM
What we did last time was just to interact as we saw fit, and try to fit our narratives together. Anyway, I find it interesting that we're supposed to be hunting monsters, and here we see monsters that we're expected to protect. Gregory and what's-her-name (Maria, now that I remember. I'm not editing Leon's comment, however) were the vampires we took down in the last episode, for anyone who's curious and didn't read the first game.

Odentin
2012-08-13, 04:31 PM
I'm just waiting for this to explode in my face. Adam is built to stake a vampire at a quarter mile, not social situations.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-13, 04:44 PM
Meh. Leon's not built for social situations, either, but is that stopping him?

Odentin
2012-08-13, 04:45 PM
Leon's dice pool for most social situations isn't a chance die, though. >.<

Adam literally grew up on the road learning how to hunt with his father, spending a lot of time in bird's nests, alone. He's a great marksman, but massively stunted, socially.

savior indra
2012-08-13, 04:57 PM
Err... Kale's solution for most situations when he needs information is to lie through his teeth. (or if he is going batman ) grabbing the person around the neck, slamming them into something that will make a loud noise and then intimidate them until they talk.

So yeah.... not the most social....

Misaat
2012-08-13, 05:35 PM
Im reallly really sorry but is it to late for me to take part in this game? :smallfrown:?

Odentin
2012-08-13, 05:41 PM
Semira and Jaime are the only two that are Social Primary, and Jonah is at least Social Secondary. All of the rest of us put it in third place. Heh.

Also, I think I know where Sentinel is going with this chapter, which makes me sad. I won't say what I'm thinking, in case I'm dead wrong (or right), but I really hope I'm mistaken...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-13, 05:47 PM
Hey, Misaat! It's up to Sentinel if you can join up now, but I'd like to see you back in.

Misaat
2012-08-13, 05:56 PM
Thanks i hope i can get in too. Even as a side character XD . I cant wait to open the haloween shop! XD

-Sentinel-
2012-08-13, 07:45 PM
Welcome back, Misaat. I was sad to be unable to contact you in time for the game. While eight characters is a bit harder to manage, I'll gladly let you in. You can be among the crowd at the memorial or, if you need time to catch up, you can be introduced a bit later. Don't forget to spend your 12 XP from last game!

Savior, try not to get too Batman-y, please, as this is a low-level game with low-level threats. My concept revolves around students working part-time as vigilantes to protect their campus, not vigilantes pretending to be students to throw off suspicion. (If you insist on playing it like a high-level game, I'll raise the stakes accordingly and set an international conspiracy against your character. :smalltongue:)

Everyone, allow me to congratulate you once more for your level of activity. This is quite a bit better than the last game.

Misaat
2012-08-13, 07:57 PM
Welcome back, Misaat. I was sad to be unable to contact you in time for the game. While eight characters is a bit harder to manage, I'll gladly let you in. You can be among the crowd at the memorial or, if you need time to catch up, you can be introduced a bit later. Don't forget to spend your 12 XP from last game!

Savior, try not to get too Batman-y, please, as this is a low-level game with low-level threats. My concept revolves around students working part-time as vigilantes to protect their campus, not vigilantes pretending to be students to throw off suspicion. (If you insist on playing it like a high-level game, I'll raise the stakes accordingly and set an international conspiracy against your character. :smalltongue:)

Everyone, allow me to congratulate you once more for your level of activity. This is quite a bit better than the last game.

Awesome! Ill need some reason for my character to have been away... mmm maybe a draft? ill send ideas to you through pms ^^

Odentin
2012-08-13, 08:02 PM
Hey Sent! Does anything change based on Adam's actions? Or should I do another post after?

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-13, 08:20 PM
Awesome! Ill need some reason for my character to have been away... mmm maybe a draft? ill send ideas to you through pms ^^

A draft wouldn't work. A) There hasn't been a draft in America since Vietnam. B) Your character would be gone for something more on the order of two years instead of an hour and a half if he had been drafted.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-13, 09:24 PM
No real need. It's been only ~2 hours of in-story time since the start of this episode.

Odentin
2012-08-13, 09:25 PM
"I slept in" is a pretty viable excuse, considering what time it is...

Misaat
2012-08-13, 09:56 PM
Could Matthew see all this on tv?

If so he might have just slept in because he spent all night playing a new video game. Then when he woke up he went to the rpg club to open the shop and watched on tv what went on.

savior indra
2012-08-13, 10:05 PM
Sentinel can we try for a medium between the two? My character's concept does not exactly make for a normal student but he's no batman. The way I'm playing him is that the amount of death in his life left him unable to really cope with it and move on, so he threw himself into his vigilante work with all of his resources and dedicated his life to it as a way to get out of facing his problems.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-13, 10:23 PM
Sentinel can we try for a medium between the two? My character's concept does not exactly make for a normal student but he's no batman. The way I'm playing him is that the amount of death in his life left him unable to really cope with it and move on, so he threw himself into his vigilante work with all of his resources and dedicated his life to it as a way to get out of facing his problems.

Which is why I was wondering what brought him to Maxwell in the first place back during recruitment. That's not my business now, though. I would like to remind you that it's maybe 12:30 in the afternoon in-game, and the campus is going be on high-alert after the vandalism, Kale's threat, and the confrontation between Allison, Michelle, and the others. Walking around in your armor may still be a bad idea.

EDIT: And now I'm really hoping she'll let Leon walk her back to her dorm, or to wherever she's going now.

savior indra
2012-08-13, 10:45 PM
The memorial mainly. Finding people who had the same 'pastime' as him was just a bonus. He's a transhumanist he's driven by two things; his inability to cope with the deaths of his family and Sophia, and his refusal to accept that Humanity is not at the top of the food chain.

Kale's goal is to ensure that humanity evolves into the completely dominate species he believes it can be. He feels that humanity can transcend it's physical weaknesses through participant evolution. He's about the perfection of the human race, and Vampires, werewolves, criminals, and other supernaturals generally don't allow that so he 'removes' those beings that stand in the way of humanity.

Odentin
2012-08-13, 10:47 PM
Time for some intra-party conflict!

Misaat
2012-08-13, 10:59 PM
Here is my sheet

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=376899

I made a section of the things ill be offering in the "shop" at the rpg club. Tell me if there is something you dont like or dont feel is supposed to be there

I bought 2 specializations (Motorcycle and Homemade)

Homemade because of practicing with the weapons i make and Motorcycle because he often hangs out with Karen and sometimes she lets him ride her bike.

And the other 6 points i used to buy Quick draw (Firearms) , Fresh Start and 1 point of Contacts in the form of Mr X ! Which if you let me i was thinking it could be that guy that stole my video of the vampire authopsy and posted it as his own XD

-Sentinel-
2012-08-13, 11:02 PM
Also, I think I know where Sentinel is going with this chapter, which makes me sad. I won't say what I'm thinking, in case I'm dead wrong (or right), but I really hope I'm mistaken...
All I have to say about this is... we'll see. :smallwink:

Could Matthew see all this on tv?

If so he might have just slept in because he spent all night playing a new video game. Then when he woke up he went to the rpg club to open the shop and watched on tv what went on.
Sure. The TV crews left before the confrontation between Michelle and Allison, though.

It's alright. Just be aware that Resources 5 is not a blank check for any number of worldwide contacts, illegal equipment, military-grade software, backup secret identities, access to classified databases and such. Some of these things require Merits in other things (Allies, Contacts, Status), as well as the Storyteller's green light. Most importantly, what you own should be established early on, not pulled out of your ass to suit the needs of the moment. What made me raise an eyebrow was your attempt at searching the Web by passing through three proxies in four different countries.

I'm also well within my rights, if I feel you go too far, to allow reality to crash down on you. Kale owns a lot of things that might cause the police to make his life difficult.

I would like to remind you that it's maybe 12:30 in the afternoon in-game, and the campus is going be on high-alert after the vandalism, Kale's threat, and the confrontation between Allison, Michelle, and the others. Walking around in your armor may still be a bad idea.
Heh, my thoughts exactly. See my warning above regarding reality crashing down.

I'll update tomorrow. Whew, with that much player activity, this game is quite time-consuming... (Not complaining!)

Edit: A map of Tyler Hall might take a few days to come. It's not something I want to rush into.

savior indra
2012-08-13, 11:08 PM
That was excessive for 2 dots in computer. I apologize. I keep getting the dots mixed up with a character i'm playing in real life. I'll look over the sheet thoroughly tonight to make sure i'm not confused again. And yeah Kale doesn't have worldwide contacts, backup identities or access to classified databases. And I won't give him that unless I take merits in them.

McGonigle
2012-08-14, 09:02 AM
Since I messed up the rolls in the topic

I'm not entirely sure what roll would make sense for the gathering of opinions, but
I’m pretty sure it’s manipulation + something (Either investigation or Persuasion so I’ll go with the lower one.)
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

Also a wits +Investigation roll [roll5] [roll6] [roll7] [roll8] [roll9] [roll10]

In case of explosions: [roll11] [roll12] [roll13] [roll14] [roll15][/SPOILER]

Odentin
2012-08-14, 09:25 AM
If you use rollv, it helps keep everything clean and easy to read, so 8d10 would produce: [roll0]

-Sentinel-
2012-08-14, 03:00 PM
McGonigle, I'll make it Manipulation + Investigation to gather opinions. You get three more dice:

[roll0] (Edit: Using your 10-again rolls, that means you get no extra success on this test, but an extra one on the Wits + Investigation test.)

Update on the way.

Misaat
2012-08-14, 03:32 PM
Sentinel is my sheet ok? When can i jump in ? XD

-Sentinel-
2012-08-14, 04:51 PM
Sentinel is my sheet ok? When can i jump in ? XD
Your max health should be 7, not 10. Other than that, it's fine. Jump in whenever and wherever you want. Other characters can bring you up to speed if you get in contact with them.

Oh, and everyone... I think each of you should establish what your character carries on a normal day to school, not just what they own. Obviously, no one goes to their classes in full combat gear, so it can be useful to know what they have on them if they get into an unexpected fight or are subject to a search. Allow me to once more bring your attention to the warning What To Leave Behind, on p. 236 of the Hunter book. Maxwell University has a zero tolerance policy on guns, and any weapon with size 2 or more is almost impossible to conceal on a daily basis.

Misaat
2012-08-14, 05:12 PM
Im gonna have Matthew carry gregory's revolver and bullets in a pack inside his toolbox. Can i ?

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-14, 05:46 PM
On a daily basis, Leon has his knife (size 1, hidden in, given that it's October in Chicagoland, his jacket), his digital recorder (size 1, but concealment not strictly required for your average campus; he keeps it in his backpack, and if anyone asks, it's for dictating notes), and his binoculars (size 1; backpack again, if anyone asks, he likes birdwatching). His laptop is also usually in his backpack, but only when class is involved; otherwise the laptop is in his room, as are his textbooks. The multitool stays in the room, as does the flashlight baton, unless he has reason to believe he'll need them. Generally speaking, he has no need of these things for class. When he's out after dark, though, the multitool is in a pocket, and the flashlight is with him. Gotta have some light when you're walking across a darkened campus, after all.

TL;DR:
Class equipment:
Knife (size 1, in jacket)
Digital Recorder (size 1, in backpack)
Binoculars (size 1, in backpack)
Cell phone (size 1, in pocket)
Laptop and textbooks (mostly irrelevant, they're just school supplies and shouldn't have much impact on the game)

After-dark equipment:
Knife (see above)
Digital Recorder (size 1, in pocket)
Binoculars (size 1, around neck)
Multitool (size 1, in other pocket)
Flashlight Baton (size 1, carried)
Cell Phone (size 1, in third pocket)

Leon normally wears pants with extra pockets, you see. Also deep pockets.

The laptop and textbooks aren't on my sheet for the same reason a pen isn't on my sheet or this list: they're necessary supplies for a college student in America, but I don't expect them to have any major impact on the game. Maybe in somebody else's hands a laptop could be a game-changer, but Leon's is basically for note-taking, googling, paper-writing, interneting, and playing Minecraft. So nothing Vigil-related that he couldn't do with a University computer, especially because a university's wi-fi is monitored.

Misaat
2012-08-14, 05:58 PM
The ten again!

[roll0]

Odentin
2012-08-14, 06:03 PM
Adam usually wears a leather duster over jeans or cargo pants and thick shirts. He ALWAYS carries his trench knife concealed on the small of his back or on the back of his hip. His backpack holds his schoolbooks and his binoculars.

He leaves the first aid kit in his jeep, and usually does the same with his bow and quiver, unless he has to park a long ways from the RPG Club room AND thinks he can get past the security guards ("I'm on the archery team, and I have practice this afternoon. I'm just going to drop it in the locker room on my way to class." Should work so long as he doesn't do it all the time.) He also keeps a couple of hardwood stakes in his keep.

After dark, he may carry one of said stakes, as well as his bow (again, if he thinks he can get away with it). On patrol, he prefers to get to the bell tower and watch out, but will always be carrying his bow and quiver.

Misaat
2012-08-14, 06:18 PM
Your character is part of the archery club? Could i interest you in some silver tipped arrows? :P

Odentin
2012-08-14, 06:30 PM
Yeah, he's on the Archery Team. He's also on the US Olympic team, or will be in the next Summer Olympic Games, anyways (whenever Sentinel decides that is. Sometime in the next 4 years...).

Yeah, if we ever come across werewolves, some silver arrowheads will be nice. Same with iron heads for fey, etheric heads for ghosts (do those exist? CAN those exist? o.O), etc.

Also, to be clear: Most of the arrows he has are the broadheads on fiberglass shafts, but he also carries between 3-5 stake arrows, hardwood-shafted arrows without a metal tip, just the shaft itself sharpened down to a point to penetrate the chest plate of a vampire.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-14, 06:39 PM
Yeah, if we ever come across werewolves, some silver arrowheads will be nice. Same with iron heads for fey, etheric heads for ghosts (do those exist? CAN those exist? o.O), etc.

The big catch regarding iron arrowheads for fey is that they have to be cold iron, not just iron. If they've been heated at all, they're no good.

As for etheric arrowheads, I don't see why not. The big catch, of course, is that you'd need bleeding-edge technology to make them. Task Force: VALKYRIE's Advanced Armory endowment has etheric bullets, so etheric arrowheads wouldn't be too much of a stretch, but good luck getting the board of directors to greenlight funding for something like that. Their budget is small enough as it is. And all of this is irrelevant, as Adam is a college student and is unaware of TF:V in the first place.

Odentin
2012-08-14, 06:48 PM
I think you should re-read the Changeling rulebook. And mythology surrounding cold iron. "Cold Iron" is any pure iron, and has an adverse effect on fey. Hand hammered, unforged iron has worse effects, but only on certain fey.

Edit: "worse effects" being aggravated damage, and "certain fey" being the Gentry, True Fae.

As for etherics, I was under the impression that the reaction that caused the etheric quality in the firearm ammo was started by the explosion of the smokeless powder. I could be wrong of course, but the wording is that the etheric state is temporary, so without something to start that reaction, they wouldn't work, and there's no controlled explosion with a bow...

savior indra
2012-08-14, 06:49 PM
Kale generally wears his chest armor at all times (underneath a baggy shirt or a suit or a jacket, something that would make it easier to conceal. With a pair of jeans and running shoes. He doesn't wear any other pieces of his armor during the day unless he expects to be going on patrol or a stakeout during the day. He has either his sap gloves or brass knuckles on him at all times along with his cellphone and laptop in a backpack.

On patrol he is in full armor, mask, HUD Contacts, wireless headset, 0-4 knives depending on the situation, in rare cases where a katana wouldn't draw attention ( a halloween party) he would carry that as well.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-14, 07:48 PM
I think you should re-read the Changeling rulebook. And mythology surrounding cold iron. "Cold Iron" is any pure iron, and has an adverse effect on fey. Hand hammered, unforged iron has worse effects, but only on certain fey.

I could be misremembering, but I seem to recall the Changeling book specifying that cold iron could not have been heated, even to extract impurities from the ore, meaning it had to be iron that was pure without being melted. Again I could be misremembering, so I'll check.

EDIT: Okay, you're right. Iron itself ignores fae defenses and magics. Hand-forged iron deals aggravated damage to the True Fae, though if we come against one of the Gentry, I'd rather not be near enough for cold iron to come into play. Better to trap it in a church yard and have the bell tolling midnight shatter it, or catch it in a rainstorm and watch it dissolve, or whatever other contrived weaknesses the things have.

As for etherics, I was under the impression that the reaction that caused the etheric quality in the firearm ammo was started by the explosion of the smokeless powder. I could be wrong of course, but the wording is that the etheric state is temporary, so without something to start that reaction, they wouldn't work, and there's no controlled explosion with a bow...

You seen The Avengers? Hawkeye's arrows, particularly the exploding ones. The etheric rounds use made-up physics anyway, so I see no reason why a small charge, set to a timer or firing pin a la grenades, couldn't be mounted behind and arrowhead, and used to trigger the etheric conversion process. Something like that would probably throw the balance of the arrow off, but that could be corrected for with either skill or sights, so I don't think it's much of an issue. If we came up against ghosts or spirits, and we really needed etheric arrowheads for Adam, Leon could probably reverse engineer them with a supply of etheric rounds liberated from TF:V, and then have Misaat's character build them, but that would be unlikely at best.

Odentin
2012-08-14, 07:54 PM
You seen The Avengers? Hawkeye's arrows, particularly the exploding ones. The etheric rounds use made-up physics anyway, so I see no reason why a small charge, set to a timer or firing pin a la grenades, couldn't be mounted behind and arrowhead, and used to trigger the etheric conversion process. Something like that would probably throw the balance of the arrow off, but that could be corrected for with either skill or sights, so I don't think it's much of an issue. If we came up against ghosts or spirits, and we really needed etheric arrowheads for Adam, Leon could probably reverse engineer them with a supply of etheric rounds liberated from TF:V, and then have Misaat's character build them, but that would be unlikely at best.

Most anything aside from arrowheads is gonna throw off the balance. I was thinking about rounds that would burn, for vamps. That'd be easy enough to handle, though, with a penalty. Hell, silver arrowheads would inflict a -1 anyways...

-Sentinel-
2012-08-14, 08:40 PM
Im gonna have Matthew carry gregory's revolver and bullets in a pack inside his toolbox. Can i ?
You can, ruleswise. If you get caught with it, though, you'll most likely get expelled.

Savior, tell me when/if you're ready to break and enter into Allison's room (if it's still part of your plans), who will be accompaying you and what you will be wearing when doing so. It's still early afternoon, so dressing as a ninja is not necessarily the best way to be inconspicuous (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HighlyVisibleNinja) (or bluff your way out if you get caught in the act).

You also mentioned checking out Allison's schedule. I need to know how you intend to obtain it.

It's getting hard to establish a timeline with everyone spreading out, but let's make this 1 PM.

Things are going very fast, and some of you are doing many things at once. If one of my updates omits something your character is trying to do, please remind me.

Update on the way.

Misaat
2012-08-14, 10:02 PM
No message back from Mr X?

-Sentinel-
2012-08-14, 10:10 PM
...Who's Mr X, again?

Odentin
2012-08-14, 10:10 PM
We might wanna look into that Black Death guy. Even just a cursory investigation. Just to be safe...

Also, I'm a terrible person, but I wanna hear that remix...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-14, 10:22 PM
We might wanna look into that Black Death guy. Even just a cursory investigation. Just to be safe...
Bah! He's no threat. It's either a nut who can't do magic, some hedge magician who'll just wind up summoning some spirit or void beasty that will eat him, a mage who will paradox himself to hell and back trying, or possibly someone who is actually going to succeed and bring the Murder of Crows down on our heads. Again. At which point the problem will be out of our league and not our problem anyway.

Also, I'm a terrible person, but I wanna hear that remix...
You're not a bad person... At least, no more of on than I am, because I wanna hear it, too.

As for that séance, I'd almost be concerned that they were sin-eaters, but sin-eater ceremonies actually, you know, work, despite being random hodge-podges of rituals and rites from all sorts of faiths and sources.

Odentin
2012-08-14, 10:32 PM
Bah! He's no threat. It's either a nut who can't do magic, some hedge magician who'll just wind up summoning some spirit or void beasty that will eat him, a mage who will paradox himself to hell and back trying, or possibly someone who is actually going to succeed and bring the Murder of Crows down on our heads. Again. At which point the problem will be out of our league and not our problem anyway.

We don't know that. He may actually be capable of it.

The séance, on the other hand, is being performed by a group with a documented history of being failures at the supernatural.

Misaat
2012-08-14, 10:38 PM
...Who's Mr X, again?

my contact. i asked you if i could make him be that guy that took credit for my vampire autopsy videos on network zero

savior indra
2012-08-14, 11:05 PM
The B&E is no longer happening. And if anything I was planning on just shadowing Allison periodically to see what her daily schedule was, nothing too over the top. I mean He knows where she lives now so he could just wait around the dorm until she leaves in the morning and then shadow her. Not that that's what Kale is doing but if he does shadow her, that would be his plan. Right now he's just trying to calm down and refocus.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-14, 11:07 PM
For the record, the street magician threatened last January to prolong winter until he received $20,000 in cash. When winter ended in March as expected, he claimed to have received the money from an anonymous donator, but for some reason he's still as homeless as ever.

Seriously though, I mentioned the magician to add a bit of flavor, not as a false lead. I know I shouldn't stop my players from pursuing side plots, but this already time-consuming game shouldn't get bogged down in them, especially if they lead nowhere. :smalltongue:

my contact. i asked you if i could make him be that guy that took credit for my vampire autopsy videos on network zero
Oh, right. I'll come up with an answer from him later, as it's past midnight for me in the Eastern time zone. For now let's say he's not online at the moment. He'll send you a message when he can.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-15, 02:55 AM
Semira has her cell phone, textbooks, writing materials, wallet, and running shoes. Yay for Resources 0 and unarmed combat.

Leon
It turned out that Maxwell's Esoteric Club was planning a Halloween séance to communicate with the dead, but the RPG Club had already investigated them and found them to be little more than a bunch of long-haired dilettantes who randomly amalgamated the most fashionable New Age and pseudoscientific trends into an inconsistent mess. They could not even agree among themselves over the existence of UFOs, the efficiency of homeopathy, the spiritual value of pot smoking and the validity of L. Roy Howard's Temple of Dianeticology. The séance would likely consist, as usual, of strange rituals from a dozen different religions, prayers in mangled Latin and Gaelic, drug use, group sex, and a conspicuous lack of anything remotely supernatural.

Other than that, there was a fundamentalist mother looking for an exorcist to cure her teenage son from his desire to become a woman, a clearly schizophrenic man seeking police protection from the Freemason conspiracy, and a homeless street magician threatening to unleash the Black Death upon the city if he did not receive $100,000 in cash by December 21.
Some insensitive idiot had already posted on YouTube a techno remix of Kale's I will make you beg for death shout.
These made me laugh so much harder than they should have. :smallbiggrin:

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-15, 05:05 AM
I need help rolling Nwod style. How do I roll and show all dice results. I looked at the stickies and found nothing.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-15, 05:31 AM
Like this:

5d10

Instead of [roll] tags, you use [rollv] tags. So the 5d10 roll above looks like:
[roll1]

-Sentinel-
2012-08-15, 08:56 AM
I'll roll it myself though. Good thing, because Toy's sample roll got no successes. I prefer to simplify it to a single Int + Occult test with Willpower. No Int + Academics.

Occult: [roll0] - Welllll, I guess this test was destined to fail.

These made me laugh so much harder than they should have. :smallbiggrin:
Thanks. :smallsmile:

And no, I'm not making a techno remix, so don't expect one. :smalltongue:

McGonigle
2012-08-15, 02:33 PM
I apologise for the fact that most of my contributions have just been the character trying to further her career in the school newspaper :p.

What Jaime carries with her on a regular basis.

Wallet: Debit card, ID, membership cards for various political organisations
Digital Recorder
Cheap Phone
Back copies of the Student Newspaper
Selection of flyers on campaigns that are going on at the moment that she is involved in
Business cards (For herself, varying styles)
Three Cigarette lighters in various pockets and a half full packet of cigarettes.
Bag of Marbles
Clipboard
Also the bag probably generally has enough school books in it to be heavy.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-15, 04:23 PM
"Was anyone in the club two years ago? When the shooting happened? It was investigated, right? Was there anything supernatural about it?"
Interesting point to bring...

As Maxwell University has been a magnet for both supernatural and mundane evils since its creation (the cause of this could be an interesting theme for another game), a vigilante club has existed in some form or other for as long as anyone can remember. Its membership fluctuates wildly as members graduate and are replaced. Its name and cover are always changing, and it occasionally splits, dissolves or re-forms. It never had a clear chain of command and it does not keep records going back to its creation. In some periods, several clubs have existed at the same time, often unaware of each other's existence. You could say that there is a tradition of organized vigilantism, but no single vigilante club that has survived the times. It's really more of a movement than an institution.

The RPG Club as it currently exists was formed shortly in the aftermath of the Halloween Massacre, although not necessarily as a direct consequence of it. Nothing suggested at the time that the massacre had anything supernatural, but then again, supernatural threats are not the only kind the RPG Club deals with. Street gangs and rapists are actually more common.

Odentin
2012-08-15, 04:33 PM
Well alright, then.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-15, 06:27 PM
I believe it's time to start making long-term plans.

I don't want to spoil anything, but other elements will come up over the next in-game days, so don't be afraid you're missing something if you end up feeling stumped. I'll have to end the current day eventually, no matter how many leads you still want to investigate, because there's only so much you can find out with the clues you currently have and I don't want to roleplay a whole week minute-by-minute.

We already know that Kale wants to shadow Allison over several days. What else?

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-15, 06:49 PM
Based on Patrick's suspicions of possession, Leon may want to try to get in contact with his cousin Saul. Saul's another of my characters, a Necromancer-archetype Sin-Eater. Leon doesn't know he's a sin-eater, but he does know that Saul runs a paranormal research society in Massachusetts, so, despite Leon's prior conduct toward Saul, he may want to swallow his pride and call up his cousin.

That said, I'm not sure how this should be handled. Leon doesn't have any merits relating to Saul as a mentor or contact, obviously, so a veto is perfectly understandable response. Ordinarily, I'd just leave it alone, a personal joke that I can make in this game and when I finally find a game for Saul. Amongst the other random connections my characters have. I digress.

TL;DR: I may want to have Leon contact Saul (see character background) for advice on hauntings and possession, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Other than that, Leon's meeting Allison in 2 days, but that's it.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-15, 07:09 PM
That said, I'm not sure how this should be handled. Leon doesn't have any merits relating to Saul as a mentor or contact, obviously, so a veto is perfectly understandable response.
I wouldn't mind if Saul's area of knowledge were the mundane sort (like science or history), but in the case of the occult, I'm afraid I must say no in the absence of merits. People who are in contact with the supernatural are exceedingly rare, and those who have any reliable knowledge of it even more so. Most people who know things keep their mouths shut, while most who claim to know things are frauds.

I don't want to cheapen the value of Allies, Contacts and Mentors. Perhaps you can buy some dots in these areas the next time you gain XP, and we'll act like Saul was there all along.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-15, 07:36 PM
I don't want to cheapen the value of Allies, Contacts and Mentors. Perhaps you can buy some dots in these areas the next time you gain XP, and we'll act like Saul was there all along.

That sounds reasonable. I'll have Leon call Saul anyway, and Saul just be out to dinner, or on a stakeout or in the Underworld or something. Leon can leave a message or something, and that can be the beginning of a reconciliation process between the two. Off-camera, of course, and maybe I can put some XP in Mentor or Allies after this story. Saul doesn't have to have been there all along, as he's a) in Massachusetts, and b) not being spoken to by Leon, because of Saul's career choice. So reconciliation as side-plot, like the autopsies, could be fun.

Misaat
2012-08-15, 07:54 PM
Did Mr X knew anything about the massacre?

-Sentinel-
2012-08-15, 09:27 PM
Did Mr X knew anything about the massacre?
About as much as a normal Joe knows about, say, the Virginia Tech massacre and the Aurora massacre. He follows the news, but only takes an interest in a specific event if he has reason to think it was supernatural in nature.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-16, 10:15 AM
Semira will try to figure out where the spray paint and Nixon mask were bought, ask shopkeepers about any weird buyers (and try to get access to their customer records when possible), and try to correlate buyers to get a list of likely suspects.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-16, 06:04 PM
I just added a list of NPCs in the first post of the OOC thread, in case you need to be reminded who's Wayne, Sara and the others. The length of their description is far from indicative of their importance in this story. More characters may be added as the story progresses.

A map of Tyler Hall should be available soonish. It will become important later, so it needs to be right.

Are we almost done for this in-game day?

Odentin
2012-08-16, 06:17 PM
Adam's going to be looking for information on the massacre, like the stuff I mentioned in the IC thread. He's also going to check with Allison tomorrow at archery practice, make sure she's doing alright. Other than that, he'll assist the others if they need anything.

Odentin
2012-08-16, 06:19 PM
Adam's going to be looking for information on the massacre, like the stuff I mentioned in the IC thread. He's also going to check with Allison tomorrow at archery practice, make sure she's doing alright. Other than that, he'll assist the others if they need anything.

McGonigle
2012-08-16, 06:43 PM
Jaime will probably see if she can find any statements about Ian in the back editions of the school paper, particularly reactions from people who knew him. See what she can infer back from them.

Aside from that only my highly plot relevant plans, to clean up the memorial.

Edit: and I really appreciate the list of NPC names being in one place, that could be a real time saver next time I need to remember who the editor is.

Misaat
2012-08-16, 06:57 PM
Matt is just gonna take this as some prank and go home to play video games XD

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-16, 10:01 PM
Leon's pretty much good for the day. After he calls Saul, he's going to spend some time in the lab, trying to find a way to either prolong Karen's supply of blood, or ease the psychological effects of the withdrawal.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-17, 11:02 AM
My next IC post will deal with the end of this day and make a short timeskip (2-3 days). I'll then allow you to make some other decisions and investigate a few more things before we get to Zach's Halloween party.

The party is the game's main setting, where most of the story is supposed to happen, so it's not (just) the scene of the climax. Things are about to get serious. :smallamused:

Savior Indra, please roll a Shadowing test (Wits + Stealth). See possible bonuses on p. 76 of the core book. Allison's opposed Wits + Composure test will be rolled in secret.

Also tell me how many days you intend to shadow her. This will reflect on her Wits + Composure test: the longer you shadow her, the more likely she is to catch on. One more thing... How many hours a day will you spend stalking shadowing her? This might affect your sleep schedule and school grades. We are in the period of mid-term exams, remember.

Are you going to place cameras around the memorial, as suggested? Let's make it an Intelligence + Stealth test with a -2 penalty to place them so that staff members don't find or remove them.

ToySoldierCPlus, is there anything you intend to do at Allison's apartment except play Super Smash Bros. Brawl, like, say, snoop around, try to get close to Allison, or ask her questions related to the investigation?

Leon's pretty much good for the day. After he calls Saul, he's going to spend some time in the lab, trying to find a way to either prolong Karen's supply of blood, or ease the psychological effects of the withdrawal.
This requires a mix of occult and scientific knowledge. First, roll an Intelligence + Occult test, then translate any successes into bonus dice for an Intelligence + Science (biology) test. So if you roll 2 successes in your Occult test, your Science test gets a +2 bonus.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-17, 01:50 PM
RE: Allison's apartment: The closest thing to snooping Leon will be doing is looking around the room(s) that he's invited into. You know, bookshelves, desktops, tabletops, that kind of thing. Things left lying out in the open are fair game for observation and commentary, afterall. As for getting close to her, no, Leon's just trying to be her friend, nothing more. He's got a girlfriend back on the east coast, and he is nothing if not loyal. Finally, he'll probably ask her some questions about the occult and supernatural, but he won't relate any of it directly to the investigation. He doesn't need people thinking he's some kind of insane vigilante dealing out justice with knife and bullet to anyone he believes to be consorting with the supernatural.

As for MAGIC SCIENCE: [roll0]
10s: [roll1]

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-17, 01:51 PM
And now for SCIENCEY MAGIC: [roll0]
10s: [roll1]

EDIT: So, three successes for sweet sciencey magic.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-17, 08:02 PM
For the sake of expediency, I'll roll Kale's shadowing test. Let's say he uses nondescript clothes (+1). Other equipment is mentioned in the book, but binoculars would just look suspicious and stalker-y in the long run, and I don't think athletic shoes are really worth a +1 bonus.

[roll0]

10-agains: [roll1]

Savior, I'll wait until you tell me how many days you shadow Allison before I roll her secret Wits + Composure test. For my next update, I'll assume you shadow her at least two days (Friday and Saturday).

Oh, and here (http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6113/tylerhall.png) is the map of Tyler Hall if anyone needs it. The massacre started near the stage, moved east to the lobby, and ended in the men's restrooms.

Big update on the way.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-17, 10:56 PM
So here's our timeskip. Did I forget anything? It's still possible to go back if needed.

This brings you to Monday morning. I'll let you set the scene yourselves, talk about recent developments and decide what to do until the Halloween party on Wednesday.

Lycan 01
2012-08-17, 10:59 PM
Did you ask for an inventory? Most of what Jonah has is on his sheet.

-Smartphone
-Desktop computer
-Lots of books on folklore, gothic literature, urban legends, et cetera
-Bicycle
-Various changes of clothes
-Flashlight
-Glow sticks
-First Aid Kit
-Digital video camera, if possible

Uhhh... I think that's it.

Oh, and would a Butterfly Knife be okay?

Odentin
2012-08-17, 11:11 PM
I had hoped to talk to Allison, get a feel for her emotional state...

-Sentinel-
2012-08-17, 11:34 PM
Oh, and would a Butterfly Knife be okay?
Sure. +1 L, like any knife.

I had hoped to talk to Allison, get a feel for her emotional state...
That can be arranged in a short while. Sorry if I skipped it in the last update, it took me long enough to write that damn post, but there's still time to talk to her. Conversations are good opportunities for roleplay and I don't like to rush through them.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-18, 05:01 AM
So here's our timeskip. Did I forget anything?
I presume Semira couldn't find any leads on the spray paint, either?

-Sentinel-
2012-08-18, 06:22 AM
I presume Semira couldn't find any leads on the spray paint, either?
No. Could have been bought anywhere.

savior indra
2012-08-19, 11:11 AM
so Manipulation + streetwise = 2 + -1 = 1 (chance die yay!)

I don't know what bonuses a laptop or cellphone would give. so I'll just roll 1 die. If the give any bonuses i'll roll those afterwards.

[roll0]

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-19, 11:30 AM
Cell phones provide a +1 bonus on relevant checks, a computer provides a +1-+3 bonus, depending on how good it is, and you only roll a chance die when your pool is reduced to zero dice, not 1.

Also, chance dice still explode, as do bonus dice. So Allison's shot actually had 5 success (the 9, 10, and the three exploded 10s). Minor nitpick now, might be relevant in a few days.

Odentin
2012-08-19, 12:02 PM
Actually, a chance die is only if you're reduced to 0 dice. So a 1 dice pool isn't a chance die.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-19, 01:02 PM
Would Manipulation + Persuasion and Striking Looks apply to the email? If so:
[roll0]

-Sentinel-
2012-08-19, 02:04 PM
Cell phones provide a +1 bonus on relevant checks, a computer provides a +1-+3 bonus, depending on how good it is,
I'm not giving computers a bonus for finding something on the black market.

Here's the additional die for the cell phone, though: [roll0]
And the 10-again: [roll1]

You find 3 Kevlar vests. As they're quite thin, they can be hidden easily under any disguise that covers the body and is not overly tight and form-fitting. The cost is negligible considering your Resources, but searching the black market takes you several hours due to your lack of underground contacts.

Also, chance dice still explode, as do bonus dice. So Allison's shot actually had 5 success (the 9, 10, and the three exploded 10s). Minor nitpick now, might be relevant in a few days.
Holy crap, you're right, I had only matched the 10 from the first roll with the first 10 of the second roll. So... bull's-eye, I suppose. She might actually get an additional success: [roll2] - Nope.

What do you mean, might be relevant in a few days? You're jumping to conclusions, Agent Mulder :smalltongue:. (Kidding.)

Would Manipulation + Persuasion and Striking Looks apply to the email? If so:
[roll0]
I always base writing on Expression, not Persuasion. And since I remove excess dice from the right, I'm afraid there are no successes and you get no answer from IanFan. (Pity... I wonder how things might have developed if the roll had been successful.)

Odentin, Empathy tests in this kind of case will be rolled in secret. I'll also make it Wits + Empathy, since it relies on noticing subtle clues like body language.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-19, 02:57 PM
What do you mean, might be relevant in a few days? You're jumping to conclusions, Agent Mulder :smalltongue:. (Kidding.)

Sorry, sorry, will be relevant in a few days, my mistake. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Winner: Allison with 21 points in 7 shots.

Odentin
2012-08-19, 03:02 PM
Damn your tendency to roll a bunch of 10's in a row, Sentinel! Especially in the exploding dice pool! Beat me by one friggin arrow!

Edit: Also, it looks like Jonah needs to hack into the forums' admin section!

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-19, 03:04 PM
Why is Adam our archer, again? I want Allison on the team. :smallbiggrin:

Odentin
2012-08-19, 03:09 PM
I could make excuses, or even argue about the damage rating of a bow actually having a big impact on its accuracy (of which Adam has a higher rating than Allison, I'm sure), or that competition archers always take the time to line up their shots (though a speed competition was declared, so that's less of an issue), but to be honest, this bit was sheer dumb luck on Sentinel's part...

-Sentinel-
2012-08-19, 03:14 PM
I could make excuses, or even argue about the damage rating of a bow actually having a big impact on its accuracy
Really? I don't know much about archery. I thought power only affected accuracy in cases of wind or long range.

I realize it's a bit strange for an Olympic archer to be beaten through luck, but it's just the way the rules work. Perhaps Adam, without necessarily holding back, was not as focused as he would be on a serious competition. You can come up with an in-game excuse.

Edit: Another excuse could be that Allison's low-power bow is not as long to draw as Adam's powerful bow, meaning she has a bit more time to aim in a speed-shooting competition.

Odentin
2012-08-19, 03:31 PM
I did, and it was exactly that.

The draw strength of a bow dictates how fast the arrow leaves the bow, and how much it's affected by the archer's paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer's_paradox), as well as how accurate the shot is. The heavier the draw, the faster the arrow, the more accurate it is.

It's really no big deal, honestly.

On another note, the scoring system was a bit off. 20 points is two center shots. Though, to be fair, I'm not sure how else it coulda been done. We probably hit 50-60 points on a competition target.

/shrug

20 successes makes more sense than a more complicated system to determine what ring an arrow lands in.

Edit: Also, my 4th shot missed the target completely, apparently. That's just bad form. >.<

Odentin
2012-08-20, 04:17 AM
Also, ToySoldier: THAT'S why I'm the group's archer. Uh huh. :smalltongue:

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-20, 09:36 AM
So you got an exceptional success, big deal. :smalltongue:

-Sentinel-
2012-08-21, 12:58 PM
Last chance to make plans.

If you want to hide weapons in Tyler Hall beforehand, I'll secretly roll an Intelligence + Larceny - weapon's Size test for you to find a good hideout, opposed by a Wits + Composure test for janitors or Jamie Price to find it in the two days preceding the party. I will roll once for each weapon, and since the test is secret, you cannot be sure that your weapon is still where you left it until you're at the party. Of course, if your weapon is found, your chances of ever retrieving it are thin. Also keep in mind that if a janitor does find a weapon, he's sure to search much more carefully from then on...

Remember, you have three Kevlar vests thanks to Kale. Time to call dibs on them, if you want them. Any dispute will be solved with Manipulation + Persuasion tests.

You will soon have to decide what costume you will be wearing.

One more thing: I want to make a playlist of songs to be played at the party. If you have ideas, please PM them to me, including a link to the YouTube video; I want the full playlist to be a surprise. Make it accessible music, please, so nothing too niche like the heavier kinds of metal (although mainstream hip hop and punk are okay). Nothing too indie or obscure, either, because people at parties like to hear songs they already know and can sing along to. And don't hesitate to nominate songs that might be seen as too obvious to even need suggesting, because I can easily forget about the classics.

Edit: The music doesn't need to be Halloween-appropriate. Halloween is mostly just an excuse for a costumed party, but any kind of party music can do. Softer songs for slow dances are also welcome.

Note that I changed the test to hide weapons to Int + Larceny - weapon's Size. It was originally based on Stealth, but the book tells me that concealing things is Larceny.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-21, 04:03 PM
What would I roll to figure out ways to piss Kelly off? Manipulation + Empathy? If so:
[roll0]
In case of 10s: [roll1]

EDIT: Yay, exceptional success! Unless I have penalties!

Also, I'm starting my plane-slog from Kenya back to the US in the morning, so I may not be able to post between 7 hours from now and Friday morning.

savior indra
2012-08-21, 11:42 PM
Would I have to hide sap gloves? They are basically just leather gloves with padding. on the knuckles to reduce risk of injury and disperse impact force.

Kale is just wearing all his body armor with his carbon fibre mask with headset. Since his armor is "onstructed from overlapping 2”
ceramic discs (resembling scale mail) encased in an aramid
fabric cover. " There is no metal in it at all, so the metal detector won't be triggered. If anyone asks he's going as the G.I. Joe Ninja.

Odentin
2012-08-22, 12:17 AM
It's not padding, it's usually lead or steel shot/powder, which makes the force of the blow on the victim harder, like brass knuckles.

The Armory also lists steel plates, which would definitely set off a metal detector. Not so sure about powder, though.

savior indra
2012-08-22, 05:35 AM
Dragon Skin in Armory Reloaded doesn't list metal anywhere in the description. pg. 142. Not sure about the sap gloves though. I've seen them made with plexiglass sand, and just extra padding.

Odentin
2012-08-22, 05:54 AM
Yeah, I was referring to the sap gloves. It's usually metal powder or plates.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-22, 10:13 AM
Something I wasn't clear about: they won't refuse all metal. If your costume includes a metal accessory that is clearly not a weapon (even if you could theoretically bash someone with it), they'll just make you take it off before you pass through the metal detector and then give it back to you, like at the airport.

I'll allow sap gloves as part of a GI Joe disguise. People expecting trouble are mostly thinking about another gunman like Ian, not the Illinois Sap Glove Massacre.

SurlySeraph: Wasn't expecting a tie. If he had his way, Zach would gladly take both of you to his condo, but since he has to choose, let's make it another roll.

Kelly: [roll0]
10-again: [roll1]

Semira: [roll2]
10-again: [roll3]

A victory for Semira! I don't view it as indulging in Greed, but you'll surely get at least a night's sleep before Halloween, so you'll get that Willpower point back anyway.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-22, 10:32 AM
Something I wasn't clear about: they won't refuse all metal. If your costume includes a metal accessory that is clearly not a weapon (even if you could theoretically bash someone with it), they'll just make you take it off before you pass through the metal detector and then give it back to you, like at the airport.
Then I have an idea. This (http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/28600000/dr-stein-soul-eater-dr-stien-28679555-704-400.png) being Leon's costume, can he hide his knife in the big metal screw he's wearing on his head?

the Illinois Sap Glove Massacre.
That'd make a great name for a Tumblr.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-22, 11:45 AM
Then I have an idea. This (http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/28600000/dr-stein-soul-eater-dr-stien-28679555-704-400.png) being Leon's costume, can he hide his knife in the big metal screw he's wearing on his head?
Can he? Only one way to find out. :smallwink:

(I can't always tell you in advance what should work and what shouldn't...)

Misaat, crafting wood or bone knives is a Dexterity + Crafts test. Each success equals one knife. These knives have a damage of 0 (L) and a Durability of 0. Any time they inflict damage, roll a d10; on a 1, they break.

McGonigle
2012-08-22, 01:45 PM
I actually was trying to think of a way Jaime could phrase that point, so it fit the character, and not something that only makes sense with my experience.

Misaat
2012-08-22, 09:06 PM
Wodden knifes [roll0]

-Sentinel-
2012-08-24, 02:44 PM
It seems that if I had postponed this game by a month or two due to the too soon factor of the Aurora massacre, as I first considered, it would have been a long wait. Today was the US's third random mass shooting in, like, five weeks. :smallsigh:

On to in-game matters. If no one grabs one of the three Kevlar vests, I will assume no one is wearing them at the party. They will remain the property of the RPG Club in case we need them for potentially more action-oriented future games.

Those without a costume should get one. To find inspiration, just google Halloween costumes.

I hope to move on to the Halloween party by Monday. Then the fun will begin.

Edit: Oh, and keep the songs coming! I received some good suggestions already. :smallwink:

Lycan 01
2012-08-25, 12:14 AM
I think Jonah will wear a Plague Doctor costume, which should allow him to wear some kevlar underneath it, since it has loose robes.

Also, I'll try to get you a few songs tomorrow. Do you just want Halloween/horror ones, or a few dance/party ones too?

Odentin
2012-08-25, 04:55 AM
Adam will take a vest and a wooden knife. If anyone would be willing to smuggle in his bowstring/stringer and/or a couple of arrows, then he'll bring his unstrung bow and dress like Robin Hood.

Otherwise, he'll go as a biker. Original, I know. >.<

-Sentinel-
2012-08-25, 05:50 AM
Also, I'll try to get you a few songs tomorrow. Do you just want Halloween/horror ones, or a few dance/party ones too?
I was thinking mostly about regular party songs, but if you have Halloween-themed party songs, it's even better. :smallsmile:

-Sentinel-
2012-08-26, 09:07 AM
Important announcement!

On Monday evening (GMT -5 time zone), I will move us on to Chapter 2 and the Halloween Party - the longest, most important and hopefully most interesting part of the game. I sure was not expecting the first chapter alone to have more posts than Campus Vigilantes 1. This is awesome! You all rock. :smallbiggrin:

Another thing... Experience points! I was planning to only hand out XP at the end of games, but you are such a fantastic group of players that I decided to make an exception. You all gain 5 XP (3 for Misaat, who arrived later) for the first chapter. I thought about giving XP on a case-by-case basis depending on the level of activity and quality of roleplay, but so many of you exceeded my expectations that it would have seemed discriminatory for those who did well but didn't get the highest amount.

Oh, and I give +1 XP to anyone who sent me music suggestions - you know who you are. It's not too late to get that XP bonus if you haven't sent me suggestions yet.

Please post how you are spending your XP, and don't forget to update your sheet.

Thanks for sticking with me so far! :smallwink:

McGonigle
2012-08-26, 10:26 AM
Oh exp exciting. On Halloween costumes Jaime will be wearing something similar to the women's army Uniform (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://vintagraph.squarespace.com/picture/3g01653u_500.jpg%3FpictureId%3D2501938%26asGallery Image%3Dtrue%26__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION%3D124457 6088656&imgrefurl=http://vintagraph.squarespace.com/blog/?currentPage%3D60&h=765&w=500&sz=106&tbnid=ZJg0KIZPWNePKM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=59&zoom=1&usg=__37KIb7hhoPmNeXjEoXRecfwk3t8=&sa=X&ei=XT86UIXUAcTfsgaAzoG4BA&ved=0CDUQ9QEwBQ&dur=302) the delay was the realization the image I was going for was the British one.

SurlySeraph
2012-08-26, 12:16 PM
I'm certainly glad to hear we're exceeding your expectations. :smallsmile:

I'll buy a second dot in Professional Training, taking Persuasion as my third asset skill and Zach's circle as my contacts. If you allow it I'll use my last 2 xp to buy the Trained Observer merit from Dogs of War, which lets you ignore penalties of up to -3 on Perception rolls; otherwise I'll bank that xp for now.

Costume-wise, Semira'll go as a soldier, i.e. camouflage tank top, skirt, and face paint, in the fine tradition of college Halloween costumes. (http://www.cracked.com/article_18834_26-sexy-halloween-costumes-that-shouldnt-exist.html)

@Odentin: Carbon-fiber arrows shouldn't be too tricky to smuggle in. Say, duct-taped to your legs.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-26, 02:23 PM
Can I assume I made a Composure + Empathy (motives) check to see if Zach seemed to have any untoward motivations related to the party?
It seems to Semira that Zach is genuinely worried about IanFan scaring off party-goers.

If you allow it I'll use my last 2 xp to buy the Trained Observer merit from Dogs of War, which lets you ignore penalties of up to -3 on Perception rolls;
I'll allow it.

Costume-wise, Semira'll go as a soldier, i.e. camouflage tank top, skirt, and face paint, in the fine tradition of college Halloween costumes. (http://www.cracked.com/article_18834_26-sexy-halloween-costumes-that-shouldnt-exist.html)
I'll give you a +1 equipment bonus to seduction tests, and a -1 penalty to any social interactions with prudish and conservative people. (There shouldn't be a lot of them at the party...) :smallwink:

Wow, #10 of this article is incredibly creepy.

Odentin
2012-08-26, 05:18 PM
woot! EXP! I forgot what I was planning on spending it on... um... OH! 6 exp, all going for 3rd dot in Resources. Call it a renegotiation of his sponsorship...

@Odentin: Carbon-fiber arrows shouldn't be too tricky to smuggle in. Say, duct-taped to your legs.

Arrows are usually made of fiberglass of wood, yeah. Not a problem getting through a metal detector. Like the string, though, he would want to not have them on him, in case he gets frisked...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-26, 05:42 PM
Woohoo! XP! I think I'll bank it until after the story is over, as Leon has really only been focusing on studying the vampires he dissected, comparing his notes to what the internet seems to know and toying with the blood, and practicing with his knife. Between this story and the next I'll wind up spending it on something, probably determined by events taking place during this story.

Odentin
2012-08-26, 11:46 PM
I think I'm gonna change my choice. I'll invest in Resources after the end of the chapter and we have some free time (makes more sense to renegotiate a sponsorship after a competition...). Instead, I'm going to take Danger Sense.

Also, to elaborate: If Adam is bringing his bow, and using the excuse that it has no string or arrows, and thus isn't dangerous, then he can't afford to be frisked or searched and have the string or arrows on him. Having someone who ISN'T carrying an obvious pseudo-weapon smuggle string and arrows in is therefore a better choice.

Lycan 01
2012-08-27, 12:15 AM
Yay, XP! :smallbiggrin:

I might say that Jonah has been doing pushups and working out since becoming a Hunter, especially in the last week or so, and use that to give him a Dot or two in some Physical skills.

Jonah's costume:
http://static.fimfiction.net/images/story_images/47112.jpg?1345860307

Odentin
2012-08-27, 09:45 PM
And Allison just brings in a strung bow. Mother pus bucket.

Is it too late to change my mind and just carry a couple arrows in taped to Adam's legs?

-Sentinel-
2012-08-27, 10:09 PM
Jonah's costume:
http://static.fimfiction.net/images/story_images/47112.jpg?1345860307
Heh. Very nice.

And Allison just brings in a strung bow. Mother pus bucket.

Is it too late to change my mind and just carry a couple arrows in taped to Adam's legs?
You can. They're not doing a strip search or anything of the sort.

Lycan 01
2012-08-27, 10:41 PM
Eh, I'll just save my XP for now.

Also, if Adam still needs a way to smuggle in his bowstring, perhaps Jonah could line his hat with it? :smallconfused:

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-27, 11:04 PM
Here's hoping Leon has concealed his knife well enough to fool security. It should work, I mean big metal head with metal bits attached to the underside, of course it'll set off a metal detector, and the only obvious seem is where it's attached to the shaft on that side of Leon's head. It should work. I hope.

Odentin
2012-08-28, 01:49 PM
So after watching Dark Matters the other night (bat bomb episode), it occurred to me just how easy it would be to make napalm arrows (assuming one of our smarter members can find or make some napalm)...

Roads for another day, though...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-28, 01:58 PM
Between Matt's crafting skills and Leon's knowledge of science, napalm arrows should be perfectly possible.

Odentin
2012-08-28, 02:08 PM
Which would make Adam a one-man stake-and-bake team.

AND THEN WE NEVER FACED ANOTHER VAMPIRE OUTSIDE EVER AGAIN.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-28, 02:23 PM
Fine by me. Last time we faced vampires, it was sheer dumb luck that kept us alive.

Odentin
2012-08-28, 02:39 PM
Eh, not really. Superior numbers was what really did it.

Also, the chapter 1 group was REALLY bad at keeping the cell a secret, weren't they? :smalltongue:

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-28, 02:44 PM
How so? We didn't even burn anything down. For that matter, we didn't even say we were looking for vampires.

Odentin
2012-08-28, 02:48 PM
Just the first conversation with Vishaka.

"Wait. This is an RPG club, right? ..."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-28, 03:04 PM
I blame our resident over-actor from that group. The rest of us were more content to get Vishaka gone so we could do our Hunter thing.

Odentin
2012-08-28, 03:07 PM
Yeah he was...um...

Misaat
2012-08-28, 08:36 PM
Where are we gonna get Napalm? XD

Besides i dont think exploding arrows would fit this case XD

Odentin
2012-08-28, 08:37 PM
Make it?

Also, Napalm doesn't boom. It burns.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-08-31, 10:37 PM
Woo! The giant screw worked! Now, on to more important things, like figuring out why all the toilets are flushing red. And also figuring out where I'm going to get some Halloween candy at 11:30 at night.

-Sentinel-
2012-09-04, 11:19 PM
Mystery rolls...

[roll0]

[roll1]

Any 10's: [roll2]

Edit: Update tomorrow, apologies for the delay.

Odentin
2012-09-04, 11:59 PM
You're frightening me.

-Sentinel-
2012-09-05, 12:06 PM
Warning: Some characters might learn, experience or come across things that their partners are not aware of. In such cases, metagaming is very easy and may even happen subconsciously. Needless to say, avoid it at all costs for the good of the story. You can go so far as to avoid reading other players' sections, if you wish.

Some GMs use spoiler tags (or even PMs) to separate each player's part of the story, but I'd rather allow all players to enjoy the whole plot as it unfolds: an RPG is as much a story as it is a game. But your characters should not base their theories on knowledge their partners have not shared with them. Also avoid displaying excessive genre-savviness, such as jumping to far-fetched or supernatural explanations where a rational solution would suffice or giving too much importance to a detail that any real-life person would dismiss as trivial.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-05, 12:11 PM
It's ghosts. Totally vengeful ghosts. Or sin-eaters. Might be sin-eaters.

Odentin
2012-09-05, 06:40 PM
The bow Allison is carrying. Is it real? Or a toy/nonfunctional reproduction?

-Sentinel-
2012-09-05, 08:01 PM
The bow Allison is carrying. Is it real? Or a toy/nonfunctional reproduction?
It's the one she uses at archery practice. Not really an elite competition bow, though. More like a short-range beginner's bow, but Allison sticks with it because it's the one she's used to.

Oh, and Odentin, please roll a Wits + Composure test. No reason at all... *innocent whistle*

Odentin
2012-09-05, 08:03 PM
*glare*

Can I spend willpower?
[roll0]
Willpower: [roll1]
10-again: [roll2]

Edit: Crap.

-Sentinel-
2012-09-05, 08:48 PM
Of course you can spend Willpower. That's what it's for.

Another mystery roll!

[roll0]

10's: [roll1]

Right. Update on the way.

Odentin
2012-09-05, 08:53 PM
Whew. Glad I spent that willpower...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-05, 09:43 PM
Changed my mind. New wild guess spoilered: It's Michelle. She's going to cause a riot, and in the confusion she's going to kill Allison as vengeance for Ian killing Gavin. Lemme know if you want me to stop making wild guesses. Here's a hint: the next one is mummies.

Odentin
2012-09-05, 09:48 PM
My original prediction is still my thought. Though Michelle makes a lot of sense...

SurlySeraph
2012-09-05, 10:56 PM
I'm not saying it was ancient gun-wielding ventriloquist aliens.

But I'm pretty sure it was aliens.

Odentin
2012-09-05, 10:59 PM
I do have a "theory" about Allison, though. I'm wondering if she's a hunter, too...

Misaat
2012-09-06, 04:43 AM
Damn you Toy Soldier! i was hoping they played both fields XD Now this evening is Ruwined ... Besides the possible crazy gunman XD

Would my character know where the fusebox is on this building without having to ask someone?

McGonigle
2012-09-06, 06:18 AM
Wild Guess: The mask isn’t just coincidence, both shooters are actually possessed by Nixon. Nixon is actually a Mastigos member of the seers of the throne and the shootings are part of a ritual to allow him to achieve archmastery.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-06, 06:55 AM
Fuseboxes in halls like this are usually backstage or in the basement. Your character could probably infer this as common knowledge, but you may have trouble getting there.

EDIT: I like McGonigle's idea. Alternatively, it was mummies.

McGonigle
2012-09-06, 07:49 AM
EDIT: I like McGonigle's idea. Alternatively, it was mummies.

Except since mummy has yet to come out they must be based on the children's tv show mummies alive :p

-Sentinel-
2012-09-06, 08:02 AM
Would my character know where the fusebox is on this building without having to ask someone?
No, you have to look around. As Toy pointed out, though, it's probably in a place where you shouldn't be. Better take Sem or Jaime with you so you can pretend to be doing something else (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeOutMakeOut) if you get caught. :smalltongue:

Wild Guess: The mask isn’t just coincidence, both shooters are actually possessed by Nixon. Nixon is actually a Mastigos member of the seers of the throne and the shootings are part of a ritual to allow him to achieve archmastery.
Oh, I like this. Maybe I'll change my plans then. (Did I just say that out loud?)

Odentin
2012-09-06, 11:12 PM
Is there a second floor on this place?

-Sentinel-
2012-09-06, 11:23 PM
Is there a second floor on this place?
Yes, there is, as well as a basement. I did not bother to map them out for now.

The second floor includes a kitchen, a cafeteria and some additional offices. The basement is a restricted area, so most students wouldn't know what is there, but it is believed to mostly consist of machinery, pipeworks and maintenance stuff.

Lycan 01
2012-09-07, 08:46 AM
So... How does Jamie know Jonah's name, despite his lack of a social life and the creepy mask on his face? Did he have a list of all the partiers and their costumes or something, a mistype on your account, or......? :smalleek:

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I'd like to know if I'm being paranoid over something worth being paranoid, or if I'm just misunderstanding the imporance. XD

-Sentinel-
2012-09-07, 09:22 AM
So... How does Jamie know Jonah's name, despite his lack of a social life and the creepy mask on his face? Did he have a list of all the partiers and their costumes or something, a mistype on your account, or......? :smalleek:
Good catch, that was a mistake. I'll edit.

savior indra
2012-09-07, 10:51 AM
Resolve + Composure roll for Kale

[roll0]

EDIT: Kale is cool under pressure, yes!

Odentin
2012-09-07, 02:55 PM
Is there ANY way Adam would know about the connection between the song and the massacre?

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-07, 03:49 PM
Hearsay, perhaps? Or overheard conversations during the party before or right after the song started?

Odentin
2012-09-07, 04:01 PM
He was at Maxwell when the attack happened, just late to the party (so he missed the shooting).

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-07, 04:22 PM
Then yeah, hearsay is probably a reasonable explanation. That tidbit might have even been in the article about the shooting after the fact. Leon doesn't know, but that's because he wasn't at the party and doesn't pay attention to the news, because it's almost depressing enough to make him give up on the Vigil.

-Sentinel-
2012-09-07, 04:54 PM
Those who were not present at the massacre are unlikely to know the significance of the song: it's not the kind of detail that makes it into the newspapers or is mentioned in conversations. For that matter, many who were present at the massacre didn't remember what song was playing at the time until they heard it again and felt that Very Bad Feeling.

You can roll Wits + Intelligence (2 successes required) to make the connection between people affected by the song and survivors of the Halloween Massacre.

Odentin
2012-09-07, 05:21 PM
Wits+Intelligence: [roll0]

Odentin
2012-09-07, 05:22 PM
10 Again: [roll0]

Edit: Balls.

McGonigle
2012-09-07, 05:43 PM
Wits + Int + WP [roll0]

Just in case [roll1]

-Sentinel-
2012-09-08, 11:50 AM
Mystery test! I love rolling those. :smalltongue:

[roll0]

-Sentinel-
2012-09-08, 11:51 AM
10-again. It's a success already, but let's see how much of one it is. [roll0]

-Sentinel-
2012-09-08, 11:53 AM
*sigh* Sorry for the triple post, didn't expect another 10.

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-09-08, 12:01 PM
That did not just freaking happen... :smalleek:

Odentin
2012-09-08, 12:06 PM
What, the ST getting 4 successes on a mystery roll? It sure did...

You never know, though, that might have been a roll for one of us. :smalleek:

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-08, 12:31 PM
Equally valid, this is -Sentinel- we're talking about. Several tens in a row is practically his signature.

Misaat
2012-09-08, 12:31 PM
What roll should i make for hiding? and do i get a bonus because of the poor lighting?

Odentin
2012-09-08, 12:35 PM
Equally valid, this is -Sentinel- we're talking about. Several tens in a row is practically his signature.

That's true. Scarily true.

-Sentinel-
2012-09-08, 12:43 PM
What roll should i make for hiding? and do i get a bonus because of the poor lighting?
Let's make it Wits (you need to think fast) and Stealth, with a generous +3 bonus for lots of places to hide and poor lightning.

I'll roll the contested test afterwards, just so my result doesn't influence whether you spend Willpower.

Misaat
2012-09-08, 01:18 PM
Yeah im using that willpower point all right XD

[roll0]

Misaat
2012-09-08, 01:19 PM
9d10

10 agains:5d10

Damn! How is this done again? XD

Lycan 01
2012-09-08, 01:21 PM
Rollv in both brackets.

Also Sentinel, sorry if I seemed impatient. :smalleek: I just thought you'd want activity from me, rather than me just posting once that Jonah stands in the corner and then nothing for several turns.

Misaat
2012-09-08, 01:26 PM
All right then BTW i am spending that willpower point. That a +3 dice to the roll right?

Hiding:[roll0]

10 agains: [roll1]

-Sentinel-
2012-09-08, 03:21 PM
Secret rolls! (with a penalty)

[roll0]
[roll1]

10-again: [roll2]

Misaat
2012-09-08, 09:00 PM
Oh Sentinel the situation's you put my character in XD

There he is a young adult gamer with a history of searching through Pron sites and with Lust as his Vice... what to do... XD

Lycan 01
2012-09-08, 09:22 PM
Hey, at least we know "Elvis" is a gentleman. :smallcool:

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-09, 12:12 PM
The other leading way to recruit new hunters is to rescue them from being enslaved by vampires, and then give them a speech about being the hunters, not the hunted.

-Sentinel-
2012-09-10, 02:54 PM
Resolve + Composure for Allison. 6 dice, as she has surprising determination for a 5'2'' girl with glasses.

[roll0] - Not that much determination, apparently.

10's: [roll1]

Update coming soonish.

Odentin
2012-09-10, 03:41 PM
Bonus dice? I don't need no steenking bonus dice!

So, fun fact: The odds of that happening, me rolling 3 successes on 3 dice and her rolling 0 on 6, is 1.46%...

-Sentinel-
2012-09-10, 11:06 PM
@ Odentin: Allison's list just got a few more entries that I had forgotten. You should recognize them.

I think it's safe to say that Sir Gabes has left us for good, but it doesn't bother me. I realize I accepted too many players anyway, making the game a bit hard to run. No worries though, I'm not about to kick anyone out, it's just that I can't guarantee the same amount of plot and details for everyone. I do try my best.

At this rate, we should be finished by the end of September; as I said in the recruitment thread, my games in the Campus Vigilantes series are meant to be short. But even I didn't expect the game to go so quickly and to have so many IC pages. Keep it up!

Odentin
2012-09-11, 09:10 AM
You just got a dedicated group this time around. I really like this game, the set up for it. :biggrin:

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-11, 09:11 AM
Plus, you're the best ST I've ever had. My RL group does nothing but crossovers that basically amount to supernatural superheroes games, which is not what I want form nWoD.

Lycan 01
2012-09-11, 09:14 AM
This is actually my first Hunter game, and I gotta say, it's been really fun so far. I'm loving it. :smallbiggrin:

Odentin
2012-09-11, 11:25 AM
Tbh, its actually my first HtV game, too. I quite like this one. Dunno why anyone would play a basic human...

Misaat
2012-09-11, 12:25 PM
I had never been able to finish a session of Nwod before and now this is the second one im about to finishg with the same character in the same setting! XD

Odentin
2012-09-11, 07:12 PM
Ha! Same here, though without the "two-in-a-row" thing...

Also, my theory has been shot to hell. Oh well.

-Sentinel-
2012-09-11, 08:52 PM
Thanks a lot, guys! I appreciate the compliments. :smallsmile: My last game saw a high number of dropouts, and I was wondering why. Glad to know it's not because I'm a bad storyteller.

Also, my theory has been shot to hell. Oh well.
Heh, I do hope my mysteries aren't so easy that players can solve them before the halfway mark. :smallamused: (We're certainly past the halfway mark now, but our exact point in the story is hard to tell.)

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-11, 09:14 PM
Hey, you said you'd tell us your theory once it was either proven right or disproven utterly! I wanna know now. Was it something really out of left field? Like the changelings? It was the changelings, wasn't it?

Odentin
2012-09-11, 10:13 PM
The Black Dawn. It's a weapon from Armory: Reloaded (though I'm sure the stats appear elsewhere online). It causes whoever wields it to go nuts and shoot a bunch of people, no less than 10 victims per rampage. The wielder ALWAYS turns the gun on him/herself afterwards, too. Beretta, 9mm, just like Ian used.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-12, 05:38 AM
That is incredibly specific. I would never have thought of it.

Lycan 01
2012-09-12, 08:34 AM
Who's to say it's not what we're still dealing with somehow? :smalleek:

Did Jonah find anything about how to fight or ward them off personally, though? Like, would salt circles or holy water or anything traditional like that work?

-Sentinel-
2012-09-12, 12:44 PM
Did Jonah find anything about how to fight or ward them off personally, though? Like, would salt circles or holy water or anything traditional like that work?
Lots of information exists. The trick is to tell the true from the false. And I might as well reveal the result of your secret Internet search test: only one success. So you find out that exorcisms and holy objects can banish ghosts and possibly demons, but you get no specifics on how to do it. No reliable word on salt and holy water, but rumors do exist. Other characters can roll their own Occult tests.

I'm working now, so I'll update tonight. Don't start anything that might take too long; Jonah's big infodump there was more than enough time for Jamie Price, Steve and Amy to arrive backstage. Annoying, aren't they? :smalltongue:

Odentin
2012-09-12, 12:53 PM
I'm debating just knocking them all out by this point...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-12, 01:51 PM
I concur. By this point, Steve and Amy are likely going to cause a panic, and Jamie is just going to get in our way. Pity Christian's player didn't rejoin; we'd have been able to work with Jamie instead of against him at this point. What I'm wondering now is if Leon and Matt managed to stop Steve and Amy getting possessed. And, now that I think about it, if Jaime's going to get possessed. Also, I get the feeling that the stall in the girls' room that was flushing red has some relation to the previous massacre. What bathroom was Ian in when the police found him, again?

-Sentinel-
2012-09-12, 05:36 PM
What bathroom was Ian in when the police found him, again?
Men's room.

As she commented she kept a watch on the dance floor, trying to make out the group of the host amide all the chaos, and also looking out for Jamie.
You have no view on the dance floor from backstage.

Update coming soonish.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-12, 05:41 PM
There goes that theory. Oh well, time for another random guess. Aliens?

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-12, 07:52 PM
The theory posted in character literally just popped into my head, prompting the exact same reaction I gave Leon. However, everything fits, and Leon can justify it to his friends and Price if necessary.

savior indra
2012-09-12, 08:05 PM
Unless Sentinel retcons Kale leaving, he didn't hear that mind blowing theory. Hmm. this could get interesting...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-12, 08:11 PM
Incidentally, Kale's in danger, too, being a survivor of the massacre. Of course, that assumes my (Leon's) theory is correct, of which I'm decently confident. It all fits. I don't recall the details on who got shot how many times in the last massacre, but I seem to recall a single woman dieing, leading to the bloody toilet in the girls' bathroom, the messages on the mirror were "He still lives," which I initially thought meant Ian, but in light of the other messages probably means Zach, "He's here tonight," again, this could have meant Ian, but Zach fits better in light of the last message, "We'll have justice." I figure this is going to be very interesting to watch, especially if I've got some aspects wrong, or there's something that Leon and I have missed.

savior indra
2012-09-12, 08:30 PM
Lol yeah. I'm starting to understand Sentinels point that my combat ability may not be a factor. Possession is kind of hard to fight with your hands... >.>

And if Sophia's spirit is also here, that will make for some... interesting scenarios.

Odentin
2012-09-12, 09:45 PM
Any chance Adam can make another check, for Necromancy this time?

If so: [roll0]
And I'll spend willpower: [roll1]
10 again: [roll2]

-Sentinel-
2012-09-12, 11:57 PM
Any chance Adam can make another check, for Necromancy this time?
No problem, but I'll give you the results sometime tomorrow. I need to go to bed.

McGonigle
2012-09-13, 06:50 AM
You have no view on the dance floor from backstage.

From the map, I thought that by looking though the doorway next to the stage, she should be able to see the dance floor, a temporary stage probaly wouldn't be large enough to block line of sight, and the door would be on the same level as a permenant one.
Mainly asking for clarification, since it might be important later.

Misaat, I missed that bit somehow. We can assume your contact, being in the UK (if I remember correctly), is sound asleep. If it's 10 PM in Chicago, I think it makes it 5 AM in England.[/SPOILER]

4 AM, but still the same point, it's nice to see an NPC experiencing the same probelm I'm having :p

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-13, 07:07 AM
The map made it look like a permanent stage to me. Anyway, yes, Jamie is behaving realistically, and yes, he is pissing me off. Doesn't he realize how important what we do is? Does he not realize that we're the ones who took down Rasputin's, and saved countless oblivious college kids from getting lured into traps by soulless, self-serving monsters, not to mention all the vampires?

-Sentinel-
2012-09-13, 10:59 AM
From the map, I thought that by looking though the doorway next to the stage, she should be able to see the dance floor, a temporary stage probaly wouldn't be large enough to block line of sight, and the door would be on the same level as a permenant one.
Mainly asking for clarification, since it might be important later.
The stage is indeed permanent, but I was assuming you'd keep the door closed, since backstage is supposed to be off-limits.

Anyway, yes, Jamie is behaving realistically, and yes, he is pissing me off. Doesn't he realize how important what we do is? Does he not realize that we're the ones who took down Rasputin's, and saved countless oblivious college kids from getting lured into traps by soulless, self-serving monsters, not to mention all the vampires?
Got proof? :smalltongue:

Some of you guys sure like long-winded speeches... It's nice roleplay, and right now there is enough time for it, but be careful because Talking Isn't Always a Free Action (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TalkingIsAFreeAction). I remember the speech Leon tried to pronounce during a standoff with the villains - I had to cut it short and ask ToySoldierCPlus to find a less potentially deadly time for it.

I can't comment on how much truth the characters' theories contain, but I'm loving them. :smallbiggrin:

I'll update after work.

Lycan 01
2012-09-13, 12:20 PM
By the way, I've been thinking of running a NWoD game, or a Call of Cthulhu game. I think I'd rather run CoC, since I much prefer its sanity and mental trauma system. Would any of y'all be interested in such a thing? :smallconfused:

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-09-13, 12:39 PM
I've never actually played CoC, though based on my limited understanding, it's like NWoD mortals, except with the C'thulhu Mythos, and C'thulhu eats 1d6 investigators per round. If I could get my hands on the rulebook, I might be interested.

As for NWoD, would it just be a mortals game, or did you have a splat in mind?

Lycan 01
2012-09-13, 12:54 PM
The CoC quickstart rules are available for free on Chaosium's website. :smallcool:

And if I did NWoD, it would probably start out as Mortals, and then turn into Hunter after the first mission.

Odentin
2012-09-13, 02:21 PM
I'm always up for more nWoD. Not so sure about CoC, though...

Misaat
2012-09-13, 03:18 PM
I would be up for either though i could never get past the first page of a COC game on this forums...

-Sentinel-
2012-09-13, 03:44 PM
Semira's Persuasion roll (4 successes) is contested by Jamie's Resolve + Composure, but he gets a circumstantial bonus due to being angry, nervous and generally disinclined to listen to reason. [roll0]

Jaime's Stealth roll (3 successes) is contested by Jamie's Wits + Composure. [roll1]

Any 10's for the above: [roll2]

Jaime and Semira are both successful. Currently writing an update, might take some time.

Odentin, regarding your test to know more about necromancy, the problem is that I have only a few books, so I'm a bit ignorant myself. There's a vampire's embrace, of course, as well as the Ride Corpse power (Hunter book, under Dread Powers), and the Prometheans. But I don't own the Promethean book, and I don't know if Mages have anything like necromancy since I don't have the Mage book either.

Lycan 01
2012-09-13, 03:48 PM
I'm discounting necromancy at the moment, anyway. Even if it is the cause, that's the root of the problem, not the problem itself. And the latter is what we need to focus on right now. :smalleek:

Odentin
2012-09-13, 05:13 PM
Mages have a spell for it.

What brought it to mind was the HtV quickstart. The end boss does something similar.