PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Swashbuckler/Dervish build

Teh_das
2012-08-03, 10:42 PM
I'm running in a friends new 3.5e game, and I'm building the melee dps/sneak character. I've decided that I want to endgame into a Dervish, and I'm thinking that leading into it with Swashbuckler could be fun.

Right now I'm looking at Swashbuckler 3/Scout 1/Fighter 2/Dervish 10. Swashbuckler as base and for insightful strike, scout 1 to get skirmish and trapfinding (small group with no rogue), and then fighter for feat requirements. My race is house ruled, so I can have Swashbuckler or Fighter as my favored class. I have the dex to build completely into 2Wfighting, and my stats as rolled are 17/18/13/14/13/10 (DM prefers rolling to point buy).

Any thoughts on how I can max out my potential? I'm competing against a power-gamer and a core drood, and I don't want to find myself falling behind.

eggs
2012-08-03, 10:54 PM
With the Scout dip, assuming fractional base attack, Feat Rogue 2 or Cobra Strike Monk 2 will do more for you than Fighter. (And if that assumption doesn't hold, I worry for your sanity. :smalltongue:) Monk would be especially nice for the Intelligence synergy with Carmendine Monk or Kung Fu Genius feats.

Dervish was a bit outclassed by the end of 3e's run (Tome of Battle and Complete Champion give ways to use its main schtick more efficiently and for cheaper), but it shoud still be mostly workable. The trick is going to be scrounging up sources of bonus damage or nasty effects to make the finesse attacks hurt. This is where dipping for Sneak Attack/Craven/Staggering Strike (really nasty on a Dervish), going to ToB for its various stances and boosts or getting some sort of big +numbers effect like Knowledge Devotion or Inspire Courage will be useful.

gorfnab
2012-08-03, 10:56 PM
Dervish Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870778/The_Dervish_Handbook)

Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXII - Dervish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206576#post11377594)

Here is a basic Dervish Build I have had some minor success with.

Human Scout 5/ Ranger 2/ Dervish 10/ Scout 3
Feats:
1. Expeditious Dodge or regular Dodge, Mobility
3. Weapon Finesse
4. B: Combat Expertise
6. Weapon Focus Scimitar
7. B: Two Weapon Fighting
9. Improved Two Weapon Fighting
12. Swift Hunter
15. Greater Two Weapon Fighting
18. *Open Feat*
20. B: Improved Skirmish

*Open Feat Options* - Improved Critical Scimitar (decent as usual), Elusive Target (negates Power Attackers), Improved Buckler Defense (nice AC boost, take a few levels earlier if necessary), Combat Reflexes (extra attacks, somewhat situational depending on the game), Deadly Defense (combos with Elaborate Parry), Flay Foe, or Nemesis (great for Arcane Hunter ACF)

The last level of Dervish can be dumped if necessary (A Thousand Cuts is 1/day anyways) for a level of Whirling Frenzy (UA) Spiritual Totem: Lion (CC) Barbarian (take the Barbarian level at level 8 before entering Dervish). This then means you could take Extra Rage (set to Whirling Frenzy) as your 18th level feat (or at 12 or 15 if you move Swift Hunter and GTWF around).

Teh_das
2012-08-04, 06:22 PM
After looking over Gorfnab's links, I think I've settled on the following:

Strength: 13
Dexterity: 19
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 16
Wisdom: 13
Charisma: 10

Levels:
Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 1/Fighter 2/Barbarian 1/Champion of Corellon Larethian 2/Dervish 10

Feats:
1: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
3: Desert Wind Dodge
5: Two Weapon Fighting
6: Combat Expertise, Mounted Combat
8: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
9: Mobility
12: Greater Two Weapon Fighting
15: Improved Critical
18: *Open Feat*

I think I can work with my DM to allow the following conditions to make this work:
Able to take Desert Wind maneuvers in Warblade
Able to substitute Weapon Focus (Scimitar) for Weapon Focus (Longsword) for Champion of Corellon Larethian.

So far, this is the best progression I can see that lets be progress through the TWF tree, as well as add precision damage from both my dexterity and my intelligence to damage. I get fast movement from Barbarian, and manage to keep a perfect BAB as I progress.

Any suggestions beyond what I've brought up? I can lose Warblade if my DM doesn't allow me the condition, although I like the idea of using DWDodge over Expeditious Dodge. If I lose the Warblade (and possibly the Barbarian) levels, is there somewhere I can grab an extra bonus feat to get improved critical earlier, and still keep a maximum BAB?