PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cleric on an Expedition

mattie_p
2012-08-04, 11:29 AM
... to Castle Ravenloft. Yes, we are going on that quest.

ECL 8, level buy-off is permitted. Aiming for party-buffer.

Starting level 8 because most of the group (aside from me) are relative beginners and non-optimizers. Party makeup (besides me) consists of a barbarian type, ranger type, and rogue/wiz gish.

I'm thinking cleric with planning (for easy entry to persist) + at least one other domain (suggestions recommended), want lots of turning attempts (get an ACF to trade turning while keeping DMM on the table, snatch turning via Sacred Exorcist, and probably dip Death Delver for rebukes, all to power DMM) Lesser Aasimar permitted, which I'll probably go unless there is a better race.

Any thoughts?

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-04, 11:42 AM
Undeath domain grants the Extra Turning feat which adds 4 attempts/day to all such pools.

Both Azurin and Kobold Cleric 1 subsitution levels let you trade away turning for for a different version that explicitly can be used to power divine feats (including DMM).

mattie_p
2012-08-04, 01:06 PM
Do you know if extra turning applies to turning pools gained after the feat is gained? If so... incredible. Was thinking Azurin, as I have MoI and really want to put some of that into play.

Also, so far as I know, substitution levels cannot be taken with cloistered cleric. Is that accurate?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-04, 01:51 PM
Get the Winter domain from Frostburn. Get enough 1st level Pearls of Power to put Snowsight on your whole party for only one spell slot. Get enough Lesser Rods of Extend to cover those and then some. Cast (Extended) Obscuring Snow, also in Frostburn, and be ready to duck flying books.

Get the Spell domain, a 3rd level Pearl of Power, and use Illumian (RoD) with Naenhoon. Spells cast via Anyspell are cast as though by a Wizard, and thus arcane, so you can't DMM: Persist them, thus Naenhoon. Use Anyspell to cast and persist Shield, then use the pearl to recover Anyspell and use it to cast and persist Wraithstrike. An alternative to Wraithstrike is Ice Axe (SpC) if your Str score is lacking. If you're good/exalted, you can also cast (Extended) Luminous Armor (BoED) and use Magic Vestment on both that and your Shield spell's effect, and wear a Monk's Belt. Definitely go Cloistered Cleric if using all of those.

Party buffs should include Elation (BoED) and Mass Lesser Vigor (SpC), and eventually Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SpC).

Slipperychicken
2012-08-04, 01:52 PM
From what I've heard, the module has undead, so you might do well to start with all your possessions (especially your weapons) affected by Sacred Item (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-champion--57/sacred-item--628/). It discharges and deals Xd4 damage to any undead, evil outsider, or evil shapechanger which touches the item you cast it on. Put it on your clothes and gloves so it damages any of them that come into contact with you. No save, no SR. Also handy for identifying undead, since there's a flash of light when someone's affected.

So cast it on all your clothes, then give those zombies, devils, and demons a big hug, so they touch as many Sacred items as possible. If you get a Rod of Chain Spell, you can stick it on all your buddies' clothes and ammunition, too.

If your feeling cheesy, you can cast it on a bunch of beads, which you later sew onto your clothes, so enemies can trigger a bunch of them at once.

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-04, 02:04 PM
Yes, extra turning will appy to turning pools gained later.

So long as ACF's do not trade away the same thing twice you can stack them. Azurin cleric only changes Turn undead which Cloistered cleric makes no changes to so they can both be taken.