PDA

View Full Version : Fortune's Favor (OOC)



Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

AquilaRift
2013-04-03, 12:54 AM
Oh, well, that makes things simpler. My mistake!

Kelvin360
2013-04-03, 12:59 AM
Fret not, I'm having some troubles keeping track of all these blasted books, too.

AquilaRift
2013-04-03, 01:18 AM
It's always the little details you thought you could safely leave as background that the players home in on during their investigations. (Often while ignoring, fleeing, or outright missing the convenient plot hooks you drop in their laps. No, I'm not bitter :smalltongue: ... but you have my sympathies.)

Kelvin360
2013-04-06, 02:43 PM
An in-depth description of the unholy chest of drawers:

1--2
3--4
5--6

5 and 6 are warded so as not to be opened via magic (at least, not magic that you lot have access to yet), 1 and 3 have already been opened (the letters and the map, respectively). So, essentially, Elias can still use the Open/Close trick on 2 and 4, but the post seemed to indicate he's trying it on 5, which won't work.

AquilaRift
2013-04-06, 02:54 PM
Ooh. I thought they were all in a single vertical stack. In that case, make it 2.

AquilaRift
2013-04-12, 07:41 PM
Sense Motive. [roll0] Is he keeping anything back?

Kelvin360
2013-04-12, 11:57 PM
Well, yes, but you don't need a sense motive to tell that. His answer was intentionally vague by design. Your somehow-superior-senses do tell you to the best of their ability that you don't think he's lying, though.

AquilaRift
2013-04-13, 11:16 PM
Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (history): [roll1]
What is an Aurum Capstone?

Kelvin360
2013-04-13, 11:46 PM
Historically speaking, they're remnants from fairly long ago produced off of discovered notes from magical societies like the Netherese, Illefarn, and so forth.

Magically speaking, they're essentially the wizardly version of 'babies first transmutation kit'. When activated (each capstone has a unique phrase or contact method, i.e. something it needs to touch, to stop be inert), they can alter the structure of certain metals. If the metal in question is very soft, the capstone turns each relative iota of malleability into brittleness.

This is the reason that, while Aurum Capstones are not themselves gold, they are often associated with it; the very best use of one is turning golden objects from malleable things into something with the same relative consistency of ice. Rather than dent, a transmuted gold coin would shatter, for example.

Needless to say, they're usually only found amongst the brainlessly rich.

Kelvin360
2013-04-16, 11:28 PM
*cough, cough* Malak and Lucas, that'd be your respective cues.

AquilaRift
2013-04-30, 11:41 AM
Appraise: [roll0]
Knowledge (local): [roll1]
Is this a normal price, or a raised one (perhaps indicating a shortage)?

Kelvin360
2013-04-30, 04:00 PM
Your knowledge of Fortune's Favor's economy clues you in that the bread is a bit overpriced, though not by exactly how much.

Kelvin360
2013-05-03, 05:03 PM
Why yes, Dark Green is now my color for NPC's not important enough for me to assign an individual color to, how'd you guess? >_>

AquilaRift
2013-05-04, 04:36 PM
Have we got any ice in the cellar? I'm not exactly used to handling food storage in D&D games.

Kelvin360
2013-05-04, 06:16 PM
It's highly likely that Murals, like most of the townsfolk, use a box filled regularly with ice to store more perishable food items. In her case, it might even be magical. It's more likely to be in the pantry/kitchen than the cellar, though.

Malak'ai
2013-05-11, 03:13 AM
Hey guys,
I don't really know how to say this, but to be honest, I've lost all motivation for this character.
It's getting harder and harder to get into his head and figure out how'd he react to things.

I've been following along, but just don't know where I fit anymore seeing as we we've lost so many of the original team... Am I going to end up being front line? Do I need to take up a secondary Caster role? Do I need to start pretending to be a priest of some sort? I just don't know!

I don't want to have to pull out of the game, but I don't know if I can contribute in any way at the moment. :smallfrown:

AquilaRift
2013-05-11, 03:47 AM
Well, I'd be sorry to see you go, especially since (as you say) we've lost so many of the original party. (I'm not holding out for JTB's return, though I don't blame him. Depression's a rough beast. I hope he's doing OK.)

You've been playing Santino as a pretty hot-headed type, ruled by his emotions -- which is an entertaining contrast to amiable, naive Orin and severe, cautious Elias. Not an ideal party face, but that could well start to change over time. As far as party role goes, it's notable that you're the only person with Bluff or Diplomacy ranks, which we may sorely need.

It's hard to see what role you'd end up filling in combat since this has been such a heavily RP-focused game so far. Given STR 9 and DEX 16, though, I think you might be most effective as a ranged combatant. Bria's sticking with us for the foreseeable future, and she'll likely end up being a frontliner and primary healer, with Orin as another melee fighter. Elias has always been a support caster in my mind, with some debuffs on the side. (I'm planning on snagging Glitterdust when we level up, which should help you get your Sneak Attack damage in on blinded foes.)

No hard feelings if you do decide to drop out, of course, but I hope you stick around.

Malak'ai
2013-05-11, 05:29 AM
I don't want to drop out. I honestly don't.
But this stage, I just don't know what to do...

Maybe Kelvin might consider injecting some new blood, so that we could all benefit from more RP/character building opportunities.
But that's up to him. Personally, I'd be for it as it would take the weight of keeping things off not only his shoulders, but yours as well Aquila, because to be honest, without you, this game would have tanked months ago.

I also hope JTB's alright. I too suffer from depression and major anxiety issues, so I know, in some ways, how he feels.

Kelvin360
2013-05-11, 11:00 AM
I've been considering opening extra recruitment for a while, actually, I was just waiting to see if it would become necessary. I agree that we could use some new blood, so I'll be putting up a post in the Recruitment Thread within a day or so. Here's hoping we get some hits!

That being said - Malak, if you need some time to yourself, I won't flip out about it or anything. Gonzo happens, and if a break to get your thoughts in order is what you need, go for it. We'll still be here if you need us. :smallsmile:

Oh! Also, an unrelated note - I've been balancing party XP as a total (so everyone always has the same amount), but should I start handing out extra for an individual performing a specific task (opening a lock, making a successful diplomacy check, or gathering decent information, etc.)?

AquilaRift
2013-05-11, 02:43 PM
Re-recruitment sounds like a good idea. As for XP, I have no strong preference. (We've only gotten 70 so far, anyway.)

Kelvin360
2013-05-11, 05:10 PM
Actually, you've all gotten 500. I award extra for quest completions.

AquilaRift
2013-05-13, 02:14 AM
I've updated my character sheet accordingly.

And it's rather fitting that we're heading to the inn as we're recruiting new players. Traditional.

Malak'ai
2013-05-13, 02:25 AM
I hadn't actually thought of that!
Have you had any bites yet Kelv?

Kelvin360
2013-05-13, 04:18 PM
Alas, no. But it's only been up for a couple of days. From what I've seen, it can take up to weeks, so I'm optimistic.

AquilaRift
2013-05-13, 04:36 PM
Huh. I don't see it up in the Recruitment forum...

EDIT: Scratch that, I saw your post in the "seeking players" thread.

Malak'ai
2013-05-13, 05:28 PM
Maybe set up an actual tread in the Recruitment section, that way it'll be seen straight away.

Kelvin360
2013-05-13, 05:33 PM
I considered that, too. I figured that one wasn't supposed to put it there if they already had a game in progress. I can take it down if that's the case, though.

EDIT: I just noticed all of the full-on ongoing games recruitment threads in there. *dons a pointy hat*

AquilaRift
2013-05-13, 05:39 PM
I've seen a few "re-recruiting" threads in that section before. I don't think it's against the rules, though I can't find any rules referencing the practice specifically.

MLucas
2013-05-14, 02:56 AM
I'm glad you've brought it up Malak'ai - I've been feeling the same way.

Most of what's happened (investigative work, and magical at that) has left Orin completely lost, and I don't think he can add anything. I still want to play, and I'm loving the story, but don't know what to do, so I'm just lurking.

Malak'ai
2013-05-14, 03:03 AM
That's kinda why I lost motivation... Having no idea what Santino would be able to do, apart from making smartass comments all the time :smalltongue:.

AquilaRift
2013-05-14, 11:25 PM
Well, if the next bit of investigative work doesn't turn up anything useful, we can see if the Messenger knows anything about the shortages. (The Chartessa situation might not be resolvable until after her trial.) Failing that, I'm considering just asking for files on all of D.I.'s extant jobs and going through them for clues/plot hooks. One of 'em ought to lead to a dungeon.

I feel like there's a lot going on in Fortune's Favor that we don't know about. That elf woman Santino ran into in the Mayor's office, that weird armor stud Santino found, the alleyway conversation that we overheard on the way back from the graveyard... There's a Plot going on, possibly more than one, but we haven't stumbled over enough of it yet to get to the heart of it.

Kelvin360
2013-05-14, 11:50 PM
Without spoiling much, I can tell you that yes, if you're ever hurting for something to do, check in with The Messenger. Defendor Investigations is essentially there to hand out adventuring plot hooks like they're going out of style, after all.

AquilaRift
2013-05-17, 01:41 PM
(Exams are done!)

Are the new members going to start off in the town square, as we did?

Kelvin360
2013-05-17, 02:01 PM
One of them is. [/vagueanswerstocoveraplot]

AquilaRift
2013-05-17, 04:00 PM
Indeed. Say no more! :smallwink:

BassWalker
2013-05-18, 06:24 PM
Glad to finally be using this character concept. I apologize for the length, but I looked over the other introductory posts, and a brief run through recent events seemed to be the norm... I think the writing got away from me for a bit, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things go :smallsmile:

Celesyne
2013-05-18, 06:46 PM
Hooray! Intro done... and while not quite as expansive as Molly's I hope its worthwhile... glad to be aboard! :smallbiggrin:

AquilaRift
2013-05-19, 07:44 PM
Are Elias, Orin, and Santino close enough to hear Molly's call?

Kelvin360
2013-05-19, 09:11 PM
As of right now, the entire party are all in the Town Square. So, yes. That also means the players have the initiative before the townsfolk to respond.

BassWalker
2013-05-19, 11:42 PM
I know this is most likely in poor taste, bein' new to the game and all, but could I make a request of you, Aquila? Please, do not ever post from Molly's point of view and say what she is seeing/hearing/experiencing, as you have done in the first sentence of your post. Ever. As Celes could confirm if need be, I've had a very bad experience with god moders in the past, and it is simply something that I do not tolerate in the slightest amount (not that I am saying this was your intention at all) from another player.

Thank you for your consideration, as I would like to snuff out any problem before it arises. :smallsmile:

AquilaRift
2013-05-19, 11:49 PM
No problem. The intent was only to give you an idea of Elias's appearance, but I'll word such statements differently in future.

BassWalker
2013-05-19, 11:51 PM
Again, thank you. I didn't mean for it to sound so harsh... It's just a sore subject for me. I'm not angry or anything.

Celesyne
2013-05-19, 11:54 PM
forgive the silly butt. We came from a site where his character was lost due to someone else dictating its actions.... It's somewhat understandable to still be a little sore over it after having played the character for almost a year.

AquilaRift
2013-05-19, 11:58 PM
It's cool. Tone's hard to convey over the Internet, so I give people the benefit of the doubt. :smallsmile: I haven't had problems with god-moders in the past, since most of my games have been in meatspace (where the player is right there at the same time and can say "No, that's ridiculous, I wouldn't do that"). But I can understand how infuriating it is.

Malak'ai
2013-05-20, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the madhouse Bass and Cele! Remember... Leave your sanity at the door, I'm sure someone will take care of it... Maybe :smalltongue:.

Anyway... Santino's still not sounding right in my head... I just can't figure out what's wrong. I'll keep fiddling until it comes right though.

BassWalker
2013-05-21, 12:00 AM
We were sane before? That's news to me.

By the way, I'm sure my posting rate will pick up once things get moving... Just waiting in line behind Celes at the Investigations place right now, so there's not much to write.

Celesyne
2013-05-21, 05:04 PM
I never claimed to be sane... though right now I feel like the dangling line of a quest hook I was unaware of... And... being an elf who thinks she's a human, Celes will certainly have her quirks... as I figure them out meself.

BassWalker
2013-05-21, 05:12 PM
Kelvin, I've got a quick and easy question for you. I hadn't thought of this until after the character was accepted, but I have decided to have Molly's draconic heritage be from a Silver Dragon. I've got a great idea of a nature vs. nurture story in mind (human and Silver heritage vs. the brutal Green upbringing).

So, with that in mind, would it be alright with you if Frost was made the default element of Molly's breath weapon, and Flame replaced it as her chosen Breath Effect? Mechanically, this just means that Frost Breath can be used each round while Flame Breath would be every other round, at best. I think it'd be good flavor to support the whole heritage deal.

AquilaRift
2013-05-21, 05:14 PM
An elf who thinks she's a human and a human who thinks she's a dragon... they are certainly going to have some interesting consequences.

Kelvin360
2013-05-21, 05:21 PM
Kelvin, I've got a quick and easy question for you. I hadn't thought of this until after the character was accepted, but I have decided to have Molly's draconic heritage be from a Silver Dragon. I've got a great idea of a nature vs. nurture story in mind (human and Silver heritage vs. the brutal Green upbringing).

So, with that in mind, would it be alright with you if Frost was made the default element of Molly's breath weapon, and Flame replaced it as her chosen Breath Effect? Mechanically, this just means that Frost Breath can be used each round while Flame Breath would be every other round, at best. I think it'd be good flavor to support the whole heritage deal.

You know, actually, I do like this idea. Go for it. Also, if you'd like, you can swap your alignment to Lawful Neutral straight off (since Greens are Lawful Evil and Silvers are Lawful Good). Or, you can remain CN and possibly get alignments switched ever so slightly to one side or another as you play.

I don't know if DFA has alignment restrictions (like I said, I'm not overly familiar with the class), but if it does, for the purposes of flavor, as long as the RP holds, you can ignore it for this purpose.

BassWalker
2013-05-21, 05:26 PM
I could've sworn I had changed that Chaotic Neutral to True Natural at some point... I guess the save didn't go through. Thanks for pointing it out to me. And no, DFA doesn't have an alignment restriction as far as I'm aware. So long as the definition of Lawful that we can agree on is "following one's own moral code" and not "following the written law," then I'll most certainly accept your offer. I had pictured Molly as doing things such as always keeping to her word, anyways.

Kelvin360
2013-05-21, 05:36 PM
Ah, conversation about alignment, there you are!

I believe the description for 'Lawful Neutral' says "law, tradition, or a personal code". Which means that some semblance of honor (and no blatant disregard for the laws of the land) is required, but zealotry isn't. My suggested guidelines would probably be something like

*Make sure you have a clear vision of what your personal code of honor is, and stick to it
*Don't be cappin' fools unless you're in a place where it's allowed (unless this contradicts #1)
*If you're in the wilderness, making provisions for #1, all bets are off

Remember that since you're Neutral as well, you only need to be orderly/consistent in your dealings, not necessarily always good (but not always evil, either). I hope this clears up the alignment itself some, rather than just being more confusing.

BassWalker
2013-05-21, 05:41 PM
That seems good enough for me. And, it gave me the idea of writing out Molly's code of conduct so that I can be sure she always follows it. Though, thus far, all there is amounts to "lying is perfectly fine, but always keep to your word and never go back on a deal."

Did I just write a Lawful Evil? :smalleek:

Kelvin360
2013-05-21, 05:51 PM
I'd say that's pretty Lawful Neutral. If you're thinking of a 'only when it suits me' character, that's Neutral Evilish.

Celesyne
2013-05-21, 06:02 PM
I personally adore Lawful neutral. As following to one's own moral code is more roleplayable and has more room for interaction that Lawful good or chaotic neutral in the like.

BassWalker
2013-05-21, 06:53 PM
I'm just a little confused. The money (what I'm supposing would be five platinum coins) is enclosed within the scroll?

Kelvin360
2013-05-21, 06:56 PM
Fifty, I believe. And no, it would be more appropriate to say that it WAS enclosed within the scroll. The Messenger withdrew the funds for later payment to whoever received the instructions and completed the contract.

BassWalker
2013-05-21, 07:00 PM
Oh, fifty. Sorry, I have no idea why I keep thinking the ratio is 1:100 rather than 1:10. The wording of a few posts just seemed to go either way, is all.

Celesyne
2013-05-21, 10:50 PM
That would be you she's speaking to mr. Santino... I couldn't find a physical description anywhere so I had to be vague, sorries :smallwink:

Malak'ai
2013-05-21, 10:55 PM
Santino is medium height (for a D&D Human) at 5'9, kinda scrawny at 107lbs with green eyes and brown hair.

Never did get round to putting a physical description/back story on his sheet :smalleek:.

Celesyne
2013-05-22, 01:58 AM
My apologies for having edits on pretty well all of my posts... but I'm a touch OCD about spelling and grammar... and when I notice something afterwards... it sincerely irks me to not go in and fix it :smallwink:

Kelvin360
2013-05-22, 05:07 PM
Just let me know when Moli sets out, Bass.

Also, the rest of the group - should I skip the scene to the Innterior or do you have more to discuss?

BassWalker
2013-05-22, 05:17 PM
I'm actually at a loss for what to write. Haha. If nothing comes to mind, I suppose Molly will just go to where the note says and try to find anyone who looks to be a bandit.

Kelvin360
2013-05-22, 05:50 PM
Well it is a solo adventure (for now), so if you want, you can just do monologues. :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2013-05-22, 09:15 PM
I've got nothing further to say till we get there. Unless the other three want to speak up. (Our trio has now become a quartet!)

Celesyne
2013-05-23, 05:40 PM
Geeze... not in the group 5 minutes and I got a guy passing me gold under the table....She's not that cheap Santino... though after her recent experiences... a good dinner and a drink and you might get lucky..... :smallwink:

Malak'ai
2013-05-23, 05:45 PM
Geeze... not in the group 5 minutes and I got a guy passing me gold under the table....She's not that cheap Santino... though after her recent experiences... a good dinner and a drink and you might get lucky..... :smallwink:

Lol... Just think of it as "Advanced payment for future Services Rendered" :smalltongue:.
Santino also knows what it's like to be hungry and have no coin to pay for a meal... Though he was never adverse to pinching a loaf of bread, or a purse for that matter, to compensate for it.

BassWalker
2013-05-23, 07:10 PM
It's difficult to write in a regal tone :smalltongue:

I'll probably be using different styles for a bit until I can figure out Molly's speech.

BassWalker
2013-05-23, 11:35 PM
Don't mind the double post...
Initiative: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-05-23, 11:41 PM
Just so you know, I'll treat your initiative as 7, since it looks like you forgot to add your base into the total (I see the +3 senses bonus, but not your DEX mod)

BassWalker
2013-05-23, 11:43 PM
No, you misunderstood. The bonus from Draconic Aura is only +1 to those rolls. I had posted the total. Sorry.

Kelvin360
2013-05-23, 11:58 PM
Ahhhhh. I see. Ah, well, it doesn't change much as far as the initiative order goes. Though I'll keep that in mind for next time.

BassWalker
2013-05-24, 12:36 AM
Correct me if this was supposed to go in the IC, but I'm new to PbP.

Rolling a Spot check: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-05-24, 12:48 AM
Eh, either one works.

Kelvin360
2013-05-24, 08:15 PM
Bass, make a will save, please.

BassWalker
2013-05-24, 08:36 PM
Consider me afraid... [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-05-25, 07:30 PM
@Bass: Lovely time for a Nat 1 to come up :smalleek:.

BassWalker
2013-05-25, 07:38 PM
Isn't it? :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2013-05-25, 08:48 PM
Better that one than the listen check.

...Oh, by the way, roll a listen check.

Malak'ai
2013-05-25, 08:48 PM
Better that one than the listen check.

...Oh, by the way, roll a listen check.

Oh that's mean :smalltongue:.

Kelvin360
2013-05-25, 08:59 PM
Aw, you know me, I'm just here for three things; Storytelling, doling out XP, and sadism. :smallbiggrin:

Malak'ai
2013-05-25, 09:51 PM
Aw, you know me, I'm just here for three things; Storytelling, doling out XP, and sadism. :smallbiggrin:

Damnit! Now who am I going to find to make me sandwiches and cups of tea? :smallwink:

AquilaRift
2013-05-26, 01:12 AM
Damnit! Now who am I going to find to make me sandwiches and cups of tea? :smallwink:

Denara, I suppose.

BassWalker
2013-05-26, 01:55 AM
Bad Kelvin. Scaring poor Molly. :smallwink:

Malak'ai
2013-05-26, 01:56 AM
Bad Kelvin. Scaring poor Molly. :smallwink:

I think that deserves sandwiches and cups of tea all round hehehe :smalltongue:.

Kelvin360
2013-05-26, 03:10 AM
Oh, should I go ahead and move the scene to Carston's place, now? I'm thinking I should start mandating that the main group start putting 'Yes we are going here now' in big block letters in every 'end scene' post. :smalltongue:

BassWalker
2013-05-26, 03:12 AM
Fortitude Save: [roll0]

**** O_o

Malak'ai
2013-05-26, 03:13 AM
That's fine.

Still waiting for my sandwiches and cup of tea though :smalltongue:.
(I have no idea why I'm obsessed with sandwiches and tea at the moment... I don't normally like sandwiches :smalleek:).

Kelvin360
2013-05-26, 03:13 AM
...

...

"You fall unconscious so hard you immediately wake up..."

BassWalker
2013-05-26, 03:15 AM
Please tell me you're serious. lol

Kelvin360
2013-05-26, 03:18 AM
Immediately wake up missing a few minutes, yeah. :smallbiggrin:

BassWalker
2013-05-26, 03:20 AM
You know, I am sooooo glad that the only item Molly is carrying is a piece of rope... Sure, it did cost 2k gold, but who steals a piece of rope from someone's belt loops? :smallsmile:

AquilaRift
2013-05-26, 03:25 AM
Oh, should I go ahead and move the scene to Carston's place, now? I'm thinking I should start mandating that the main group start putting 'Yes we are going here now' in big block letters in every 'end scene' post. :smalltongue:

I thought "Let's depart, then." was unambiguous enough, but sure :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2013-05-26, 06:40 PM
Uhh, Moli? You just slapped the guy that was giving you directions just before you left town. :smallbiggrin:

BassWalker
2013-05-26, 06:41 PM
I know. Her pride's been bruised, and she's pretty irritated. She's honestly just waking him up to ask him more specifically about what attacked the cart.

Kelvin360
2013-05-26, 06:42 PM
Ahh! Okay. Thought you mistook him for Khyrimos.

EDIT: Just so you know I'm not forgetting you, Aquila, I'm gonna wait on Celes, Malak and possibly Lucas before rolling in the description of OC's place.

MLucas
2013-05-28, 01:53 AM
sorry, i've been away (long weekend in the uk).

will try to catch up this morning.

Celesyne
2013-06-02, 09:58 PM
I've not posted simply cause I have nothing to add... and Celes is to busy petting the doggy and trying to think up a cute name....

Malak'ai
2013-06-09, 02:40 AM
Hey guys, thought I better let you know that I'll be even more sporadic in posting for the next week or so than what I have already been lately due to my Aunty passing away at 6.06pm this evening after an extremely long battle with cancer.

AquilaRift
2013-06-09, 02:46 AM
I'm sorry. What an awful blow. Take as much time as you need.

Kelvin360
2013-06-09, 12:59 PM
Damn, that sucks. I'm with Aquila here, Mal; however long you need. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Celesyne
2013-06-09, 07:34 PM
Yes, very much so what the others said... do take care Malak... best of wishes from me to you and yours.

BassWalker
2013-06-10, 11:55 PM
Sorry to hear that, Mal. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

AquilaRift
2013-06-12, 06:46 PM
Kelvin360
Aside from the Inn, is there anywhere in town our healer could easily stay?
Elias isn't going to invite her to the Murals estate yet (she might have problems with our hostess, after all), but he doesn't want to leave her completely in the lurch.
Knowledge (local), if I need it to make a recommendation: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-06-12, 11:15 PM
Answer: (Daily Double)
Aside from the inn, there isn't generally a housing station in town. At least not one with readily available room and board. However, that being said, the inn has certainly no shortage of rooms, is quite affordable, and allows visitors of up to weeks at a time.

Kelvin360
2013-06-15, 07:56 PM
Bass, is there a question I can answer or advice I can give? Moli seems kind of...aimless at the moment.

Malak'ai
2013-06-16, 12:18 AM
Alright, I'm back. Thank you all for your kind words and good wishes, they were greatly appreciated.

It's going to take me a couple of days get fully back up to speed, so please bare with me.

BassWalker
2013-06-16, 01:00 PM
@Kelvin: I'm not really sure. I just know that I'm not enjoying the solo rp much at all, so I'm hoping something comes up to get her with the group :smalleek:

Kelvin360
2013-06-16, 01:47 PM
Fortunately I have a contingency plan for a transparent but hopefully effective method of getting them all together. Should come after Elias packs in.

MLucas
2013-06-17, 02:25 AM
That guiding was so subtle, I almost missed it :smallamused:

Oh - and hi to the new people :)

BassWalker
2013-06-20, 03:20 AM
Um... I might as well. I'm almost hoping for a low roll here, because it won't start a fight :smallsmile:

Listen: [roll0]

Pretty much because I don't want to start a fight with the group, Moli has decided to take Santino's words as a compliment.

AquilaRift
2013-06-22, 02:11 AM
That is a very draconic outlook: "I wouldn't want you for an enemy" considered the highest of compliments. :smallbiggrin:

...Can I assume that Elias knows about the shadow conjuration/evocation line? If that's too metagame-y, the relevant Knowledge (arcana) check is below.
[roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-06-22, 11:05 AM
Shadow Conjuration he might have heard of and know about generally. But Shadow Evocation is too far outside his area of expertise (especially considering the effects it mimics are from his barred school).

BassWalker
2013-06-23, 10:49 PM
Don't wait on me, Aquila. Moli's waiting on Elias to give her the directions.

Celesyne
2013-06-25, 03:49 AM
Apologies on my little disappearance. I just started a new job and got completely waylaid by it and.... well... you guys slipped my mind. Sorry, sorry.

Kelvin360
2013-06-25, 01:46 PM
No worries. :smallsmile:

AquilaRift
2013-06-26, 03:04 AM
Int check: [roll0]
I'm guessing there's some kind of scent so overpowering that he can't detect anything underneath it... either laid down deliberately to hide the trail or an after-effect from the destruction of the shadows. But Elias doesn't know about the shadows yet, so we'll see what our checks turn up.

MLucas
2013-06-27, 02:15 AM
Wis Check: [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-06-28, 03:09 AM
Alright peoples, might be a bit forward, but can I ask you to hold back from coming into the forest for a couple of rounds?

Celes and MLucas, by all means, do what you need to do to get yourselves prepared what what ever may come, but I want Santino to scout things out a little before the rest of you come trampling in. I'm basically going to be checking for traps and what not and maybe find a good vantage point.
I'll have Santino send Thorard back when I have made sure the coast is clear :smallsmile:.

AquilaRift
2013-06-28, 03:28 AM
No fear! Elias is not sanguine about what might await them, seeing Thorard's reaction. He is staying behind until the coast is clear or the screaming starts.

Though I don't think Orin would be a burden (he's got even better stealth skills than Santino). We casters, on the other hand...

Malak'ai
2013-06-28, 03:33 AM
Though I don't think Orin would be a burden (he's got even better stealth skills than Santino). We casters, on the other hand...

I just checked that and... I... I don't know what to say... I'm supposed to be the sneaky one! :smalleek:.

MLucas
2013-06-29, 02:28 AM
I havent looked at Orin's sheet in ages. He is stealthy, but not very observant.

Kelvin360
2013-06-29, 09:31 PM
D&D Law #166, apparently - The DM is only particularly vulnerable to horrendously low rolls if it is to the detriment of the party. *sighs and headdesks*

Malak'ai
2013-06-29, 09:34 PM
D&D Law #166, apparently - The DM is only particularly vulnerable to horrendously low rolls if it is to the detriment of the party. *sighs and headdesks*

Lol, I know the feeling. I have the same problem in the games I run.

Anyway... Can Santino see who ever it is that's speaking and sneaking around ahead of him?

Kelvin360
2013-06-29, 11:22 PM
There's plenty of brush in the way, it looks like you'll have to get closer to get a clear view. Of course, that has its own problems.

MLucas
2013-06-30, 07:51 AM
My intention was that Orin never lost sight of Santino btw - although I guess he's a little way behind. Assuming that he's in range, and heard the branches break ...
hide : [roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-07-05, 05:37 PM
I'm going to rule that since they're hostile, Moli's intimidate check is under threatened conditions. With a +11 modifier, I don't fear much for security, but I'll ask that you roll.

EDIT: The way I see the marching order so far is -

XXXXXX (Foliage and the voices)

S (Santino)

O (Orin)


T (Thorard)
M (Molikixen)
E (Elias)
B (Bria)
C (Celes)

Subject to change.

AquilaRift
2013-07-05, 05:42 PM
All right by me.

Reflex save: [roll0]
Strength check: [roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-07-05, 05:42 PM
Could we get a grid map so we can decide where we want to position ourselves?

BassWalker
2013-07-05, 05:48 PM
Fair enough. I've just been havin' terrible luck with the forum's dice rolls lately, hence takin' ten :smallsmile:

Intimidate: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-07-05, 07:11 PM
Could we get a grid map so we can decide where we want to position ourselves?

Certainly! I just uploaded a (crude) one to the first post of this thread. It's helpful to issue movements like chess. 'Santino moves to 4H' or '11%' or something similar. An 'x' represents some sort of barrier like a tree. Technically speaking there should be way more, but I was lazy, so I just put down the semi-relevant ones. Assume a 30-foot line of foliage from 13L to 13Q.

Malak'ai
2013-07-05, 07:29 PM
Alright, depending on how big the tree is, could you put Santino in either P15 or Q15.
He's trying to peek around it while still keeping it between him and the voices.

Kelvin360
2013-07-06, 10:55 AM
Yup, based on the party positioning, Celes'll have to make a reflex save too, and determine whether she wants to try and keep Bria from tipping over.

Kelvin360
2013-07-08, 03:59 AM
To answer two questions -

You can roll initiative in either the IC or OOC thread as per your preference.

I'm vetoing the flurry of blows rule - if you make an attack you can gain an extra on in exchange for a round-long attack bonus penalty of -2, be it a full attack action or just running and pounding.

Malak'ai
2013-07-08, 04:07 AM
Well, that's the second Tumble check I've failed in games on these Boards today, and both times I rolled a 2!

BassWalker
2013-07-08, 04:22 AM
Well, so much for the diplomatic approach.

Initiative: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-07-09, 08:36 PM
That awkward moment when you completely fail at using the forum's dice roller...

EDIT: Yeah, okay, so it works on the test thread...

Malak'ai
2013-07-10, 01:23 AM
Do you want me to make a new attack roll Kelv? Or are you going to take the one I already made and just alter the target and ignore the SA?

Kelvin360
2013-07-10, 02:18 AM
The target doesn't need to be altered, no. I just forgot you'd already made a roll, heh. The sneak attack is a bust, but the five-foot step is just tactics, and I figure I may as well use the sure hit rather than make you risk a natural 1 like Hal just got.

MLucas
2013-07-11, 02:36 AM
I cant see anyway Orin can get a melee attack this round.
I'm fairly sure he cant Charge B1 - so he'll run to P8 (to flank b2).

Celesyne
2013-07-12, 08:17 PM
Don't think there's much else I can do... I can't get to the Puppy this round... so... Celes will move to P16 in hopes of making it to poor Thory next round to heal him.

Kelvin360
2013-07-12, 11:15 PM
Ah, I noticed that Celes has a 30 base land speed, despite wearing Breastplate. Her speed would actually be 20 with such armor donned; you might want to adjust that. I'll rule that you can run through the same squares as those trees if you want to spend the round running a little closer to Thorard, as well.

Celesyne
2013-07-13, 03:17 AM
Ack! The little things you forget to correct. You speak the truth... And that is precisely what I would like to do... I gotsta heal my poor puppy dog...

BassWalker
2013-07-14, 11:17 PM
I'm rolling for the AoO. I need to know how much damage the attack dealt to Moli before I write my next post, so that I can properly describe the wound.

Unarmed Strike: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] (nonlethal)

Kelvin360
2013-07-15, 12:15 AM
Sure thing. I may as well give a mid-combat status report while I'm at it.

Elias 9/9
Orin 16/16
Santino 13/13
Celes 8/8
Molikixen 18/22
Bria: Uninjured
Thorard: Badly Wounded

So Moli's down 4 HP and Thor's looking beat up, but other than that, you guys are doing fantastic.

AquilaRift
2013-07-15, 12:31 AM
Am I not at 7/9? I think I still haven't fully healed the damage from the cold trap in the library.

Kelvin360
2013-07-15, 12:54 AM
By normal standards, probably not. But I'm being a lot more liberal with what kind of damage you heal whilst at your home base. Think of it as a safehouse regeneration bonus.

Kelvin360
2013-07-16, 11:58 PM
Only just realized that I mistakenly told Moli to AoO B2 instead of B3. Oops! Also, sorry for the delay - for some odd reason I mistakenly thought I was waiting on someone.

Malak'ai
2013-07-17, 12:30 AM
Kelv, do you want me to wait until Orin has made his AoO before Santino attacks?

Kelvin360
2013-07-17, 12:33 AM
Since that's the determining factor in whether Hal gets knocked on his ass before Santino can just shank him, yep.

Malak'ai
2013-07-17, 12:52 AM
No worries.

And in other news: One of the players in my game A Thorn in the Hand is leaving soon, leaving us without a Wizard.
If any of you are interested in maybe applying, here's the first OOC Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248777) with the Big 16 details.
There has been a change in the Approved Sources list though. Since I started that game, I've acquired nearly all the 3.5 books and would be willing to allow things from them, though I do admit, I'm still trying to wrap my head around Psionic's, ToB, ToM and MoI, so if you do take things from them, be gentle :smallwink:.

Kelvin360
2013-07-17, 02:08 AM
Awriiight, Santino can now take his turn (and then Orin can do his actual turn) safe in the knowledge that Hal is incapacitated. Now, question for Lucas - was that takedown lethal, or nonlethal? As a monk, you don't get a penalty for either.

Malak'ai
2013-07-17, 02:24 AM
Awriiight, Santino can now take his turn (and then Orin can do his actual turn) safe in the knowledge that Hal is incapacitated. Now, question for Lucas - was that takedown lethal, or nonlethal? As a monk, you don't get a penalty for either.

When you say "incapacitated", does that mean he's flat out on his back, or wavering on the point of falling over?

Kelvin360
2013-07-17, 12:18 PM
That means he's at less than or equal to 0 hit points. So, either unconscious or dead as a doornail.

Malak'ai
2013-07-18, 02:19 AM
Sweet as.

Also made a Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293090) for A Thorn in the Hand.

Kelvin360
2013-07-18, 02:20 AM
You mean you're attacking B3, right Malak? Because attacking B2 would be beating a dead horse...literally. :smalltongue:

Malak'ai
2013-07-18, 02:22 AM
Who's that up there in square R4 then?

Kelvin360
2013-07-18, 02:30 AM
That's Hal. Primarily because I completely forgot to put him back where he should be (that is to say, between you and Orin). I'm waiting on the decision of erasing his designation entirely until Lucas lets me know what kind of incapacitated we're talking about.

Malak'ai
2013-07-18, 02:34 AM
Ahhh! Well that makes thing clearer. Make it B3 then unless B1 is still standing :smallwink:.

MLucas
2013-07-18, 02:52 AM
Hmm. I didn't know that about lethal/non-lethal. I'll go non- (since Orin isn't sure why we're attacking these guys without talking first).

I think it'll always be non-lethal against sentients, and lethal against monsters.


oh, and it's Matthew (although everyone called me Lucas at Uni, so that's fine too).

Malak'ai
2013-07-18, 02:57 AM
Hmm. I didn't know that about lethal/non-lethal. I'll go non- (since Orin isn't sure why we're attacking these guys without talking first).

I think it'll always be non-lethal against sentients, and lethal against monsters.


oh, and it's Matthew (although everyone called me Lucas at Uni, so that's fine too).

Yeah, I get that too. Everyone calls me by my last name... So much so that when I meet new people in a non-professional capacity I just introduce myself using my last name.

Kelvin360
2013-07-18, 03:27 AM
I usually just go by screen names, though I'll do my best to remember preferences if anyone has them.

On that note, with Hal drooling on the floor and Santino tumbling forward for a better vantage point, it is Orin's turn.

MLucas
2013-07-18, 08:28 AM
No preference here.

sorry for the mess on the IC page - I didnt put my rolls in correctly (missed the '/')

BassWalker
2013-07-18, 04:46 PM
Hm. Just a thought for future fights, maybe a legend below the grid to tell us which enemy corresponds to which code would be helpful :smalleek:

Kelvin360
2013-07-18, 05:05 PM
EDIT: Rather, I should say 'I'll do that next time', now the fight's over.

And, in case anyone's wondering, the party XP is now at 1,850.

AquilaRift
2013-07-18, 05:57 PM
I suppose this is good timing, since I may have only intermittent Internet access until Sunday. For reference, Elias is in favor of capturing and interrogating the bandits to see if they're linked to Molikixen's attackers. Sorry about any delay.

BassWalker
2013-07-18, 06:01 PM
Aquila: I hope you realize that Moli didn't do a thing to the man after he had surrendered, and that the dialogue was all IC motivated. It really is too bad that she can't deal nonlethal damage...

Could someone explain the concept of "party xp" to me, please? I've only ever played with each character being in charge of tracking their individual xp total.

Kelvin360
2013-07-18, 06:52 PM
Now that all of you are in a party together, all the xp you earn applies to everyone. The number I give you is individual xp, not xp each. So Elias, Moli, Orin, Santino, and Celes all have a total of 1,850 experience points. When the party total hits 3,000, you'll all level up simultaneously, given a suitable training interval.

EDIT: Oh, btw Bass, go ahead and roll 2d6 for the rest of Thorard's per-round damage.

BassWalker
2013-07-18, 06:57 PM
That does seem like it'd be a lot easier to keep track of. :smalltongue:

Frost Damage to Thorard: [roll0]

Should probably factor in the +2 he would heal during that time because of Moli's aura?

Celesyne
2013-07-18, 08:25 PM
So... umm.. who all is in need of healing at this point? So I know what bases to cover.

Kelvin360
2013-07-18, 08:58 PM
Just Moli and Thorard, by my count.

Celesyne
2013-07-18, 09:45 PM
What of our unconscious assailant? Is he stabilized or in need of... help to remain living?

Kelvin360
2013-07-18, 10:03 PM
Nope. He's unconscious, sure, but perfectly stable. Or, well, so it appears from a glance.

Malak'ai
2013-07-20, 05:15 AM
Nope. He's unconscious, sure, but perfectly stable. Or, well, so it appears from a glance.

And he's now sporting a dirty footprint in the center of his chest :smalltongue:.

Malak'ai
2013-07-21, 12:48 AM
Just had big earthquake. No power, but I'm alive.

Kelvin360
2013-07-21, 03:04 AM
Holy Gatsby on rye, are you okay? If you need to pick up any pieces, don't hesitate to take the time. :smallsmile:

Malak'ai
2013-07-21, 03:27 AM
All good at my place, and no reports of major damage in my town. But Wellington (the Capitol of NZ) just across Cook Strait is reporting some pretty big damage.

BassWalker
2013-07-21, 03:34 AM
Glad to hear you're okay, Malak'ai.

AquilaRift
2013-07-21, 03:45 PM
Seconded. Looks like it was pretty severe in Wellington.

Malak'ai
2013-07-23, 01:53 AM
Thanks everyone! Still getting little shakes now and then, but nothing to sneeze at.

Malak'ai
2013-07-24, 01:52 AM
Oh, Kelv, Santino's cleaning his sword and cursing the trees and what-not at the moment. The others seem to have everything under control.
If it does turn out Hal needs his throat slit, well, he'll have no reservations about doing it, as long everyone agrees it needs to be done.

BassWalker
2013-07-24, 03:40 PM
I would like to point out... that Moli isn't kidding. If anyone wants a piece of that 166-odd gold, they'd better carry something back to town. It's ninety-seven pounds all together, which is simply too much for her to carry.

Arguing gets you set on fire.

EDIT: That's not accounting for the still-living bandit wearing his own armor. I can throw some numbers at each other to figure out how much would actually be in each sack if necessary.

AquilaRift
2013-07-25, 03:36 PM
5 more pounds put Elias at medium encumbrance, and he's not interested in getting paid for the bandits' gear. On the other hand, Orin tops the party's Strength spread at 13 (!!), so we may all end up walking home encumbered even with an even distribution of weight. (If only I hadn't chosen Evocation as my barred school... then I could take Floating Disk and we'd never have to worry about this again. :smallsigh: )

EDIT: I don't know Bria's Strength score, but she's in armor so she's probably carrying a fair amount of weight already.

Kelvin360
2013-07-25, 03:53 PM
Don't forget the dog. Thorard might not be all muscle, but it's not like he's carrying anything to start with.

BassWalker
2013-07-25, 03:58 PM
5 more pounds put Elias at medium encumbrance, and he's not interested in getting paid for the bandits' gear.

Blasphemy! There is always interest in the gold! :smalltongue:

Hehe. This is actually my first time playin' a character that cares about looting. It's... different is one way to put it.

AquilaRift
2013-07-25, 11:34 PM
Which armor is Hal wearing? If it's the chainmail as I would guess, that diminishes the amount we have to carry by 40 pounds.

Kelvin360
2013-07-25, 11:44 PM
Here's the full list:

Swords Guy - Chainmail, Longsword, Dagger, 20 Silver
Bow Guy: Studded Leather, 20 Arrows, Shortbow, 20 Silver
Hal: Chain Shirt, Short Sword, 20 Silver

Malak'ai
2013-07-26, 12:49 AM
Santino's maxed out. He can't carry any more if he stills wants to be mobile.

BassWalker
2013-07-26, 12:51 AM
Hal: Chain Shirt, Short Sword, 20 Silver

In this case, she can just barely carry the equipment herself, though she won't likely be very happy about it. Also, I don't imagine she will bother telling anyone about that forty silver she found...

AquilaRift
2013-07-26, 01:21 AM
Elias can carry some of the weapons. His bedroll's still in the Murals home, so he's got about 10 pounds left before he hits medium encumbrance.

MLucas
2013-07-26, 02:39 AM
Orin's not interested in the money, and definitely isn't interested in looting - it's unlikely he'll carry anything they were wearing or wielding, unless someone can use it.
(The amount everyone got paid for the last job seems like a fortune to him ... eventually I expect he'll become more materialistic though).

Kelvin360
2013-07-26, 03:54 AM
I'm guessing Celes will be like Bria in that neither's exactly thrilled by the prospect of lootage, but we'll have to ask Celesyne to be certain. I'll kickstart the interrogation, and we can worry about the logistics on the side, give C some time to respond to it.

AquilaRift
2013-07-26, 03:17 PM
Looks like Moli's got the best Intimidate and Diplomacy, despite her low Charisma. By the way, BassWalker, where do those misc. bonuses come from?

BassWalker
2013-07-26, 03:34 PM
One of Moli's invocations, Beguiling Influence, gives an untyped +6 bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate. The rest is synergy bonuses.

Celesyne
2013-07-26, 09:29 PM
As far as looting goes Celes isn't bothered one way or another. She's more concerned about the deaths. not fond of any loss of life at all, but sometimes is necessary. Her main concern would be sending off the two dead folk. so it can be assumed in the time passed she drug the bodies to the road and had Moli ignite them so she could give them a proper end.

As far as weight goes... she's only about 15 pounds from medium load.

AquilaRift
2013-07-30, 03:55 AM
Nice! See, Mal, I said the social skills would come in handy. :smallsmile: As for what this means... I've got a guess, but I'm not sure that Elias has sufficient background knowledge to work it out.

Knowledge (arcana): [roll0] What does Elias know about intelligent, spidery creatures that might be found in forests -- araneas and the like?

Kelvin360
2013-07-30, 02:19 PM
Hmm, well-deduced, but I might need more to go on. Where specifically are you trying to get with the check?

AquilaRift
2013-07-30, 04:55 PM
My own deduction relies on three key things. One, Hal refers to us as "spiders," and seems to think our boss is going to eat him. Two, we're visibly humanoid, so referring to us as "spiders" doesn't make sense unless it's an epithet... or he thinks we only look like spiders some of the time. Three, we're in a forest that's been getting more and more hostile.

If that check's high enough to know there are shapeshifting magical beasts who can look like spiders or humanoids, and who are native to forests, then I think I'll be able to make the guess in-character. But I don't want to cross the line into metagaming, so it's your call.

Kelvin360
2013-07-30, 05:05 PM
A 22'll get you certain types of Druids, Driders (very unlikely), sentient normal spiders enhanced by either magic or a Lolthite pact of some sort, and of course Aranea. You're able to recall general knowledge about their special attacks and qualities, as well (such as poison, webbing, spellcasting, etc.).

And general relativistic knowledge that none of those options bode very well for a party of your relative experience.

AquilaRift
2013-07-30, 05:09 PM
Yeah, no kidding. :smalleek: And we're still no closer to the source of those living shadows.

BassWalker
2013-07-30, 05:16 PM
Yeah, no kidding. :smalleek: And we're still no closer to the source of those living shadows.

Or worse yet, we may have stumbled across a clue...

Malak'ai
2013-07-31, 02:48 AM
**Crosses legs with a pained look on his face.**

Bass, you are an evil, EVIL person to threaten that! :smalltongue:

BassWalker
2013-07-31, 02:55 AM
*takes a bow*

Thank you, thank you. You are too kind. :smallwink:

AquilaRift
2013-07-31, 03:27 AM
Taking a page from the Omnian Exquisition's book, I see. :smalltongue:
This isn't crossing a line for me, out of character. But Elias is not very happy right now, and if it goes to full-blown torture he's going to interrupt.

Kelvin360
2013-07-31, 03:29 AM
If you'll excuse me, I need to go over to the corner and laugh my ass off. You guys are awesome.

What's the circumstance bonus on an intimidate check from that? 80?

Malak'ai
2013-07-31, 03:34 AM
If you'll excuse me, I need to go over to the corner and laugh my ass off. You guys are awesome.

What's the circumstance bonus on an intimidate check from that? 80?

I don't think you can calculate the bonus from that in any way-shape-or-form if used against a male... It's just one of those naturally occurring Auto-Successes :smalltongue:.

BassWalker
2013-07-31, 10:25 AM
Oh God, the things I write when I'm loopy on medication :smalleek:

Running with this... Kelvin, would there be any objections to Moli threatening herself a minion? She could use a nice meat shield, maybe a chair, procurer of foodstuffs, payer of tribute... The usual things.
Or, y'know, an inside man with the bandit group. Haha.

Kelvin360
2013-07-31, 12:10 PM
If you think you can trust Hal, I don't see why you couldn't give it a shot.

BassWalker
2013-07-31, 01:05 PM
Trust? Who said anything about trust? This is strictly a "Fear me or I give you a reason to fear me" relationship :smallbiggrin:

Celesyne
2013-08-05, 02:43 AM
Just so everyones aware, I haven't abandoned you. Just haven't seen anything Celes would react to powerfully IC. I am still keeping Tabs and will chime in when its relevant.

Kelvin360
2013-08-05, 02:48 AM
'S no problem. Looks like primarily Elias, Santino and Moli are holding the initiative for investigation and interrogation, not necessarily a whole-party thing.

...

...Wait, is anyone keeping watch? Like, actively? *pulls out a random encounter table*

AquilaRift
2013-08-05, 03:43 AM
I assumed the people who weren't talking were keeping watch. :smalltongue: Elias has -1 to Spot and Listen, he wouldn't be too much help anyhow.

Bass, has Moli got her Presence aura up to aid the interrogation, or has she returned to Senses?

BassWalker
2013-08-05, 10:01 PM
She activated Senses back in my first post of the interrogation. I thought that a +1 to Listen and Spot and Initiative would be more useful than a +1 to the interrogation.

Also, yes, if that dog isn't keeping an eye out for trouble... then why is he in the group? :smalltongue:

EDIT: I have to say, I'm very much enjoying Moli's... comfort in taking charge and just ordering folks around. It's a nice change of pace, considering that I usually stick to the back of the group :smallsmile:

Kelvin360
2013-08-05, 11:25 PM
Elias! To the Knowledge (Arcana)-mobile!

AquilaRift
2013-08-05, 11:50 PM
Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]

Just when I thought we could be sure these people aren't the shadow-makers, it turns out there's a cabal of eunuch wizards running the show. Let's see what Elias knows...

Kelvin360
2013-08-06, 12:02 AM
Result:
Eunuch WARLOCKS, actually. That is the technical term, even though the members of a given cabal (or an individual) have to be arcane in nature, strictly speaking.

From what you remember of them, Eunuch Warlocks are very nasty customers, who do exactly what Hal said for an extra bit of magical (and sometimes political) power. They aren't often as versatile as other practitioners, but they make up for it in raw power. Another happy note is that they're always evil. Always. Due to the nature of the ritual and trades, there is no room for morality in what they do.

Given that a Eunuch Warlock has to be able to formulate spells of at least the fourth circle just in order to get anything out of the ritual, this is pretty bad news for, well, everyone.

BassWalker
2013-08-12, 01:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI

Malak'ai
2013-08-12, 02:42 AM
Sorry I've been quiet for so long people. Kinda having a few... Problems again. Think I need to go see the Doc and see if I can get back on my meds :smallyuk:.

Kelvin360
2013-08-12, 02:53 PM
No problem, Malak, as always. :smallsmile:

I think that just leaves Moli, Elias, Bria and Celes back at the pyre, so lemme know when the whole crew's in gear down the road.

Kelvin360
2013-08-13, 02:45 AM
It's never gonna happen, but I keep picturing Hal joining the team and turning it into a fantasy sitcom. The tagline, naturally, being "Shut UP, Hal."

BassWalker
2013-08-13, 06:36 PM
Well, Moli will be staying back with Celes to make sure nothin' funny happens to the bodies. Possibly help the pyre to burn a little hotter from time to time, or keep it from spreading too far.

I do need to figure out just how religious she is, though. Maybe she's in a stage of acting out currently because of her oppressive father and will determine that she doesn't particularly like all the praying later? What do y'all think?

Kelvin360
2013-08-13, 06:49 PM
I'm thinking such a phase may result in simple lip service. Not that most gods particularly mind; it's not like you get struck by lightning if you don't attend services every other day. So it may amount to simply carrying around an identifier ("yes, I worship X, what's it to YOU?") and spending most of the time in an 'you don't bother me, I don't bother you' relationship with the deity.

OR, you could also apply that lawful aspect and be more devout than your average bear, that works too.

Malak'ai
2013-08-13, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking such a phase may result in simple lip service. Not that most gods particularly mind; it's not like you get struck by lightning if you don't attend services every other day. So it may amount to simply carrying around an identifier ("yes, I worship X, what's it to YOU?") and spending most of the time in an 'you don't bother me, I don't bother you' relationship with the deity.

OR, you could also apply that lawful aspect and be more devout than your average bear, that works too.

Unless you worship Thor and decide not to take your daily trip to the pub :smalltongue:.

Kelvin360
2013-08-13, 07:15 PM
You need to worship Thor to do that? I thought all you needed was 5 silver and some free time. :smalltongue:

Malak'ai
2013-08-13, 07:43 PM
You need to worship Thor to do that? I thought all you needed was 5 silver and some free time. :smalltongue:

All you need to go to the pub is 5 silver and some free time.
For a worshiper of Thor, it's the refusing to go on your daily trip there is what ends in you getting a lightning bolt shoved up a very uncomfortable place.

AquilaRift
2013-08-15, 05:12 PM
Do what feels right for the character! I initially had Elias as a follower of Oghma, but I think he works better unaffiliated, because Oghma seems to be all about teaching and spreading knowledge while Elias is... not. He thinks most people are far too irresponsible to know anything about magic.

BassWalker
2013-08-18, 03:57 PM
Hm. I'm going to have ot think on the religion thing for a bit, I suppose.

On another note, about how long are we to wait until Moli and Celes and Bria show up?

Kelvin360
2013-08-18, 05:13 PM
Halfway through the conversation, thereabouts? Or, if you'd like, we can split the party and give everyone their own time zone.

Celesyne
2013-08-19, 03:19 AM
If you'd like to just give us a little bit of a nudge sayin... "Ya know, anywhere from here forward you could walk up" or something would work fine... Then we can inadvertently stumble upon the conversation.

Kelvin360
2013-08-25, 03:39 PM
I'm back. Which is a little weird to say since I never actually said I was gone. Just got settled into a new place, and we're a go. Celes and Moli, that protip from Bria means that you two can essentially close the distance within your next respective posts.

Kelvin360
2013-08-28, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking of instituting a specifics bonus on Knowledge checks to streamline the process. Something like 15+ allows you to ask a specific question, 20+ gives you two, and so on. Thoughts?

BassWalker
2013-08-30, 05:07 PM
I like the book's system, to be honest. But it's up to you.

Celesyne
2013-08-31, 01:49 PM
apologies for the absence. If Bass failed to mention, my PC asploded. It has summarily been fixed and I hope to pick back up post haste.

Kelvin360
2013-08-31, 05:04 PM
Ahhhh. Something was probably mentioned, but then I also probably just forgot. In any case, welcome back!

AquilaRift
2013-09-01, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking of instituting a specifics bonus on Knowledge checks to streamline the process. Something like 15+ allows you to ask a specific question, 20+ gives you two, and so on. Thoughts?

Feel free to try it out. I'm indifferent either way. The rules on Knowledge checks give the DM a lot of latitude anyway (as they probably should).

Kelvin360
2013-09-03, 04:18 PM
Santino and Orin are following Elias, I presume? My presumption extends to Moli acting similarly, but I'm not sure about Celes.

BassWalker
2013-09-03, 04:54 PM
Ah, yes. Sorry about that. I've been dealing with a few things over the past week and sort of forgot to post :smalleek:

I'll see about posting up her return to the group later today. I'm just so tired right now.

Celesyne
2013-09-03, 11:42 PM
Celes would follow, out of interest of not wanting the prisoner to be mistreated too severely.

Apologies for the delay. Works kickin me butt and I've been coming in and just crashing at the end of the day.

MLucas
2013-09-10, 05:11 AM
Wow, hadn't noticed the posts here in the last week - I'm not convinced I always get an email when a thread updates anymore.

Orin will follow along.

BassWalker
2013-09-18, 09:35 PM
Sorry again... I'm just feelin' *bleh*. And, real life has to take precedence to the game.

Kelvin360
2013-09-18, 11:13 PM
Indeed it does. Just a little nudge to make sure we ain't comatose. :smallsmile:

BassWalker
2013-09-21, 03:30 PM
I'm... confused :smalleek:

AquilaRift
2013-09-21, 03:44 PM
I'm... confused :smalleek:

You said that "Moli followed the mage into the prison," which probably reveals why. The gate we entered was the city gate, not the prison gate. Hence the luxury all around us. The prison is within the city, and we are going there now.

Given the guards' ominous mutterings, I bet Hal is starting to wonder if servitude would be such a bad life compared to this prison...

BassWalker
2013-09-21, 03:51 PM
Then where have we been this whole time?

AquilaRift
2013-09-21, 03:58 PM
IANTDM, but the impression I've got is that in Fortune's Favor the Town and City are separated -- both physically, by walls and guards, and socially, by wealth and class. Like Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork (although the town is apparently not as squalid as Morpork). We've been in the town. The fact that they don't have separate names is confusing.

Kelvin360
2013-09-21, 04:41 PM
Aquila's spot on. I've done my best to separate the two by 'City' and 'Town', but I'll come up with a name so as to belay further confusion.

The Town (Fortune's Favor) holds Defendor Investigations, the Mayor's Office, and so on just outside the gates of the City (Fortune's Guard), which houses an upper-class portion of the entire area's population. Though, in this case, everyone who lives in Favor has actually chosen to do so, rather than being forced to by a classism society. That's why Chartessa had a house outside as opposed to in.

But yes. You started out in Favor's square, the Mayor went back to his office (which is in the Town) and you got permission to go through the gate that leads to the City, a larger walled place, which contains the Prison, among other things.

Think of Fortune's Favor, the Town, as a very large stable where you put your horses and bags before going into the capital or main attraction, like how Oblivion's Imperial City was set up, for those who played it.

Sorry about all the confusion. Hope this cleared things up.

BassWalker
2013-09-21, 04:56 PM
It's not a concept that I'm used to, but yes, that did clear it up. Thank you.

Kelvin360
2013-09-28, 12:36 AM
I'm guessing Santino and Celes are as gobsmacked as Moli, then?

MLucas
2013-10-05, 12:58 AM
Hi all, i'm away for a week - i dont expect you'll notice though.

AquilaRift
2013-10-06, 09:52 PM
Elias has a Wisdom penalty, so Intelligence: [roll0]