PDA

View Full Version : Fortune's Favor (OOC)



Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Kelvin360
2013-10-06, 09:58 PM
Result:
You haven't heard of anything like that before and, for the life of you, you can't reckon where such a place might be at the moment.

Kelvin360
2013-10-25, 04:49 PM
Said grave robber is, ah, actually back in the same prison you're walking away from. Just FYI.

AquilaRift
2013-10-25, 07:18 PM
Whoops, somehow I misunderstood. Will edit.

BassWalker
2013-10-26, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry, guys, but this just isn't working out for me anymore. PBP is just... Ugh. :smallannoyed:

Good luck with the rest of the game.

Kelvin360
2013-10-26, 09:05 PM
Well, I'm sorry to see you go, of course, but I understand. It was fun while it lasted! :smallsmile:

On a separate note, could Lucas, Malakai, and Celesyne report in?

MLucas
2013-10-27, 02:59 AM
I'm here, and reading along, i just cant see how to involve Orin. Elias is doing a great job, and our interests are aligned, so i've nothing to add.

Kelvin360
2013-11-01, 07:34 PM
Well, I might as well keep the ball rolling. Hopefully Malak and Celes show up at some point. Gods only know Santino should be around for this next part.

Malak'ai
2013-11-06, 08:49 PM
Sorry about being silent for ages guys. As I said to Kelv when he PM'ed me, I thought this had dies ages ago. I wasn't receiving notifications about updates and could for the life of me find the threads in the PbP forums.
Anyway, I'm back and will try to keep up with the action :smallbiggrin:.

Sorry to see you go Bass, hope you have fun in your other games.

Kelvin360
2013-11-06, 10:01 PM
As a side note, anyone who wants to do a Sense Motive check on Char-Char here can, if they're vainly curious.

Malak'ai
2013-11-06, 10:05 PM
Rollin' rollin'....
[roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-11-06, 10:08 PM
Result:
Behind the imperious fašade, it's clear that whatever had Elias looking so shaken is affecting her, too. For the first time since you've met her, Chartessa Murals is genuinely afraid.

Kelvin360
2013-11-09, 08:18 PM
I put out waves. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16390962#post16390962) Hopefully I can get us back up to four players at least. Much as I love NPC companions, I think using them as total replacements rather than buffers is kind of crass.

AquilaRift
2013-11-09, 08:52 PM
Cool. This game's been running steady over a year, I would hate to see it die at this point. (Especially since -- after a whole year -- we are an inch from finally hitting 3rd level.)

On another note, you're advertising as a 3.5 game this time around. I've been running Elias as a straight 3.0 wizard, as per initial recruitment, and while the differences are minor, some of them are fairly important. Shield is the only spell he currently has that will be affected, off the top of my head, but there are higher-level ones that change. Should I convert my sheet or leave it as-is?

Kelvin360
2013-11-09, 10:39 PM
GAH! Okay, that one was a mistake, but honestly, not huge. I've been running FF as an amalgam between 3.0 and 3.5 most of this time (which I think I mentioned) so I should probably bring up that part in the thread.

As to your question, go with whichever option you're comfortable with. That goes for Orin and Santino, too.

Malak'ai
2013-11-10, 08:54 AM
Quite a few applicants already. Though I didn't know that Celesyne had left as well.

@Kelv: I guess I should explain what Santino's trying to do now. Since he's finally managed to break her "wall of calm" he's now going to attempt to get her so angry that she doesn't think about what's being said to her in the hopes she might let slip the answers to some questions I'll be slipping in soon.

Kelvin360
2013-11-10, 02:12 PM
I know! I'm impressed at how much new blood it looks like we'll have. And we can have some alts pumping in for a while afterwards too, I think.

Also, I figured. :smallwink: I'm already working out what it is I can give you there, though she's already dropped something. We'll see how this goes.

Malak'ai
2013-11-10, 07:30 PM
GAH! Okay, that one was a mistake, but honestly, not huge. I've been running FF as an amalgam between 3.0 and 3.5 most of this time (which I think I mentioned) so I should probably bring up that part in the thread.

As to your question, go with whichever option you're comfortable with. That goes for Orin and Santino, too.

Oh, just so you know I've changed Santino over a 3.5 Rogue and shifted the skill points he had in Innuendo, Read Lips and... I can't remember now into others skills as those ones don't exist in 3.5.

AquilaRift
2013-11-10, 07:45 PM
I'll convert Elias over when I have time, for consistency. Off the top of my head: I'll have to switch spider climb for something else, as it's second level in 3.5. I'll have to pick a second barred school (Necromancy should fit; like Evocation, it's the sort of destructive magic Elias wants to keep his hands clean of). And I'll have to remember that shield works differently. None of his skills need be altered, AFAIK.

I think the [3.5] tag might have something to do with the amount of interest your recent recruiting thread got, Kelvin. It seems to be the most popular edition on these boards, and players always far outnumber willing DMs.

Malak'ai
2013-11-10, 07:47 PM
Or DM's that can keep a game going for more than a month or two... :smallfurious:.

Fishies
2013-11-10, 09:40 PM
I think the [3.5] tag might have something to do with the amount of interest your recent recruiting thread got, Kelvin. It seems to be the most popular edition on these boards, and players always far outnumber willing DMs.

Oh, definitely.

Malak'ai
2013-11-11, 10:32 PM
Oh, definitely.

Hmm... Where's the tartare sauce? :smalltongue:.

Welcome and hope you've enjoyed our exploits thus far :smallbiggrin:.

@MLucas & Aquila: Do either Elias or Orin want to step in and help weasel info out of Char-char?

AquilaRift
2013-11-11, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I was just waiting to see if you had anything further to say. Trouble is, the only PC who knows about Mettik IC is Molikixen, who for obvious reasons won't be involved with events any further. Ah, well, I imagine we'll make the connection soon...

AquilaRift
2013-11-16, 01:43 AM
Fishies and WindStruck: Welcome on board. I'm glad to have you with us.

As far as I can tell, Elias is converted to 3.5 now.

WindStruck
2013-11-16, 01:44 AM
Hello all! *waves*

So... I noticed the three of you active chaps are still in that prison... may or may not be much time till you are back out again, but what time is it now in the game?

I figure that my character will come in following behind a merchant or other traveler of sorts. Perhaps I could even be following fishie's character? Er, yeah, that would be a bit ham-handed, although fact is, Adrexah would normally travel from town to town with someone else. Those road signs don't yell to notify you of there presence, you know?


Also... this is a bit technical, possibly nitpicky. I noticed before when you guys were fighting bandits, they were alive and conscious, then the dragon lady did her ice breath, did less than 10 damage, and they pretty much died on the spot. Do you have different rules for dying or something?

Edit: hrm, maybe it was the old system then? :smallconfused:

Kelvin360
2013-11-16, 01:51 AM
Answers in order!


So... I noticed the three of you active chaps are still in that prison... may or may not be much time till you are back out again, but what time is it now in the game?

I believe it's...late afternoon, getting into the evening. Not quite sunset, but it's close.


I figure that my character will come in following behind a merchant or other traveler of sorts. Perhaps I could even be following fishie's character? Er, yeah, that would be a bit ham-handed, although fact is, Adrexah would normally travel from town to town with someone else. Those road signs don't yell to notify you of there presence, you know?

I don't have any particular problems with Eubert and Adrexah travelling together, though that's more a question for Fishies than myself. Alternatively, you could justify being there by having tagged along with a small merchant caravan that needed an escort from an experienced ranger. Lots of demand for that going around lately.


Also... this is a bit technical, possibly nitpicky. I noticed before when you guys were fighting bandits, they were alive and conscious, then the dragon lady did her ice breath, did less than 10 damage, and they pretty much died on the spot. Do you have different rules for dying or something?

Yes and no. Unless subdual damage is taken into account, most hostile NPC's will die at 0 HP. PCs, however, still have a bleedout time. That being said, none of you will actually be dying for the forseeable future. To avoid a lucky crit forcing a new character, unconsciousness is all that awaits you for now.

WindStruck
2013-11-16, 01:54 AM
Oh whatever, suppose I could do without traveling with fishies then. As I said, it's a bit ham-handed... and I'm willing to dive right into this. :smallsmile:

Edit: Or, well, an add on...

That was a pretty long introductory post! I've seen many first posts you guys have had, however, though this... well, maybe I got a tad carried away. Though I suppose a lot of narration may have been needed.

ANYWAY, NOW, it's done. Sorry!

Fishies
2013-11-16, 03:50 AM
Hello friends! Thanks for having me. :smallsmile:

Nice intro, WindStruck. I hope I can make a nice one to follow that up...

WindStruck
2013-11-16, 04:33 AM
Hello Fishies. :smallsmile:

If you wanted to be one of those guards in that caravan I described, that could work. Anything else goes too, I suppose. Though I do bet we'll bump into each other soon anyway. :smalltongue:

Fishies
2013-11-16, 05:43 PM
The fountain seems like a convenient meeting point, no?

WindStruck
2013-11-16, 05:48 PM
Would seem so. I think it's one of the things that makes Fortune's Favor famous... if not, just a famous thing in the town... my character was headed there now.

MLucas
2013-11-16, 05:49 PM
Hey all, and welcome.

(Once more I wasnt getting notifications on this thread - was for the IC one though).

What changes for a 3.5 monk?

Fishies
2013-11-16, 05:55 PM
Hey all, and welcome.

(Once more I wasnt getting notifications on this thread - was for the IC one though).

What changes for a 3.5 monk?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

MLucas
2013-11-16, 05:57 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

thanks for that.

oh, and as I didnt notice the post 9 days ago, but it's still relevant, here's Orin's sense motive check...

[roll0]

WindStruck
2013-11-16, 06:15 PM
I've given up on notifications and just relied on bookmarks and/or refreshing the pages. :smalltongue:

MLucas
2013-11-16, 06:26 PM
I've given up on notifications and just relied on bookmarks and/or refreshing the pages. :smalltongue:

I check the IC everyday, but I'd forgotten to check the OOC :(

Kelvin360
2013-11-16, 06:50 PM
thanks for that.

oh, and as I didnt notice the post 9 days ago, but it's still relevant, here's Orin's sense motive check...

[roll0]

This is for Chartessa, right? If so...

Result:
She seems a little to short on temper to be fully in control of herself, you notice. And that's saying something.

EDIT: Just so nobody feels I might be ignoring or missing them, I'm going to let Eubert and Adrexah have their own conversation a while before NPCs step in. :smallsmile:

Fishies
2013-11-17, 01:41 AM
WindStruck: I just took a look at Adrexah's character sheet. Shouldn't she have more than 7 HP at level 2? :smallconfused: On the recruitment thread, you rolled a 3 for the second HD.

Kelvin360
2013-11-17, 01:44 AM
I believe that's due to both her trait that gives her -1 hp/level and her low CON. I think it checked out for me when I looked it over, anyway.

AquilaRift
2013-11-17, 01:52 AM
Yeah, if you have fewer HP than the party wizard, melee is not your friend. (Though I imagine her skill with animals will be very helpful, especially when Thorard wends his way back to the Murals home.)

WindStruck
2013-11-17, 02:13 AM
Yeah, if you have fewer HP than the party wizard, melee is not your friend. (Though I imagine her skill with animals will be very helpful, especially when Thorard wends his way back to the Murals home.)

Heh, well, the wizards got a decent bit of con, and I rolled a bit under for HP. Anyway, I suppose if you're blind, combat in general isn't your friend. :smalltongue:

Speaking of Thorard, what happened to Molikixen and Celes? I suppose she really did set that alchemist lab on fire, didn't she?

Fishies
2013-11-17, 02:28 AM
Ahh yes, the trait, I see. Yeah, melee might be a bit rough for her then.

Does Eubert notice the Defendor Investigations building?

Kelvin360
2013-11-17, 02:35 AM
Yep. It's virtually right next to the fountain, actually. Next to the weird place with the rune above the door, the inn, and the smithy.

EDIT: @WindStruck

For the purposes of the campaign, I assume the following happened.

Molikixen left Fortune's Favor to seek her own revenge on the mysterious elf.

Celes felt she could be of more help elsewhere in the world, but her sense of duty would not allow her to take Thorard, and so she left the hound at the Murals residence.

Kelvin360
2013-11-17, 09:23 PM
Memo: There won't be anything stopping the crew in the City proper, so Orin, Elias, and Santino can make their way out and through the gate to Town whenever they're ready.

WindStruck
2013-11-17, 09:27 PM
Then we can all meet each other awkwardly! :smallsmile:

...or perhaps not. Still need to take the logical actions first.

*drums fingers while waiting*

AquilaRift
2013-11-17, 09:38 PM
Elias is going to proceed to the Mayor's place first. Depending on how long the conversation there takes, he might meet up with the newcomers outside of Defendor Investigations.

AquilaRift
2013-11-18, 03:36 PM
Hey, we're nearly to page 50 of the IC thread. It'd be cool if the meeting of the new party coincided with the opening of the second thread.

WindStruck
2013-11-18, 04:09 PM
Heh, I guess? :smallbiggrin:

What happens when we reach the mythical 50 page barrier and 1500 posts? Is posting just disabled or what?

AquilaRift
2013-11-18, 04:20 PM
Nah, there are some threads with 100+ pages, but it's considered polite. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26594

Kelvin360
2013-11-18, 06:01 PM
I'll need some time to record everything relevant in this thread, mind. I've left quite a few Chekov's Guns lying around. Still, I should be able to open one on schedule.

Celesyne
2013-11-19, 03:49 AM
My apologies for disappearing fellows. I started a new job that has me on overnights shift which has thrown me all out of whack.... and has been running me ragged and eating all my time. I'm sorry I held you back as long as I did... hope you guys have fun moving on.

WindStruck
2013-11-19, 04:35 AM
Eh well... honestly, I don't know if I can say anything. I wasn't one of the people playing with you at the time. In fact, because of your absence, I got an opportunity to play an awesome game!

But... shame on you! :smallmad: Could have at least taken 10 seconds to tell everyone you had gotten a new job like a month ago.

Nah, it's just funny being overly dramatic like that. :smallbiggrin: But still... *grumble* kids these days ...

AquilaRift
2013-11-19, 04:58 AM
No hard feelings here, Celes. Be nice, WindStruck -- RL sneaks up on the best of us.

WindStruck
2013-11-19, 05:35 AM
Oh, I was trying to be nice and joking. Maybe failing this time...

MLucas
2013-11-19, 07:58 AM
Oh, I was trying to be nice and joking. Maybe failing this time...
I figured you were.

It's always hard to do tonal things on the internet though. ( I always assume people are joking - otherwise the 'net would be a horrible place ).

AquilaRift
2013-11-19, 11:09 AM
( I always assume people are joking - otherwise the 'net would be a horrible place ).

True enough.

Kelvin360
2013-11-19, 06:01 PM
I figured it was something of that sort. I'm sorry you came back to find out you'd been replaced, but I hope there are no hard feelings. It was wonderful working with you while it lasted. :smallsmile:

Malak'ai
2013-11-19, 10:14 PM
A professional with thick brown locks, slightly shifty eyes, and a chain shirt that invokes jingling elven bells.

What?! When did Santino's jingle like Elven bells?? :smallconfused:.

Kelvin360
2013-11-19, 10:17 PM
It's made of mithril, a traditionally elvish metal, if I recall correctly.

WindStruck
2013-11-19, 10:23 PM
I thought mithril was Dwarven. Or maybe that was from LOTR. Well, I hardly know anything about the forgotten realms, so...

no, really. REALLY, will it jingle like elven... bells? What's the difference between an elven bell and, say, an orcish bell? :smallbiggrin:

Kelvin360
2013-11-19, 11:47 PM
A poet would say it's like a thousand whistling streams, all hushed by the inherent glory of the universe. Me, I say it's the difference between ti on a soprano and ti on a bass.

Mind you, the noise will be almost completely silent given what the material actually does and who's wearing it, but given what you've been rolling on your listen checks, it's not a stretch.

Besides, that's pretty much the only distinguishing non-ocular feature on Santino, unless you'd like The Messenger to go into detail on his B.O. :smallwink:

Malak'ai
2013-11-19, 11:57 PM
A poet would say it's like a thousand whistling streams, all hushed by the inherent glory of the universe. Me, I say it's the difference between ti on a soprano and ti on a bass.

Mind you, the noise will be almost completely silent given what the material actually does and who's wearing it, but given what you've been rolling on your listen checks, it's not a stretch.

Besides, that's pretty much the only distinguishing non-ocular feature on Santino, unless you'd like The Messenger to go into detail on his B.O. :smallwink:

OI! He just had a wash! And I did mention that he does bathe as often as he gets the chance! :smalltongue:.

WindStruck
2013-11-20, 01:18 AM
Ah I think I know who that is. It was at the beginning of your thread. Seems a little girl fell down a well? I don't believe the party asked at all about this, and so.. now we have a dead little girl. :smallfrown:

Malak'ai
2013-11-20, 02:29 AM
How close to the start of the thread? I honestly can't remember running into an Elven woman or a little girl becoming the basis of a new Japanese horror movie franchise...

AquilaRift
2013-11-20, 02:30 AM
I remember you running into an elven woman, but nothing about little girls or wells. Hopefully it's something different. We've got enough on our plate with one dead girl.

Kelvin360
2013-11-20, 02:46 AM
This is the part where we start learning that pretty much everything that goes on in this town is interconnected. 'S all I'm sayin'.

WindStruck
2013-11-20, 03:07 AM
On page 13, is when she was first at the mayor's office. It was over a year ago in real time, but in game, I think only 2 days. Unfortunately, I think Kath (now gone) was the only one who heard any details of the conversation, and Santino briefly saw her.

But yeah, this is like a newcomer doing an archive binge on the comic all over again. I happened to remember a bit of this and found it again. I suppose you other guys forgot... well, except the DM of course. :smallbiggrin:


Edit: oh crud. I think I know the connection, kelvin, maybe. Though.... perhaps I should say nothing. I think simply pointing at the thread archive is fair game though.

MLucas
2013-11-20, 04:08 AM
WindStruck; I guess none of us still playing were there. I wonder what else we've missed, or has been lost.

Also, I didnt realise we were up to a year already!

Kelvin; I figured everything was interconnected - and that we were just missing a few links (possibly by being unobservant).

I've kind of forgotten what our current objectives are. I think; find out who framed Davand, find out what's going on with the house. Something about a map of the town with a pentacle. Something about bandits (although I thought they were north, not south).
I'm not sure if we still have any business with Defendor.

I guess I'm going to have to reread the whole thread on the weekend.

Malak'ai
2013-11-20, 07:46 PM
Yeah, Kath was the only one actually present for the conversation. Santino only saw her as she was walking out of the Mayors house.
No wonder I forgot about it. For Santino it was nothing but a passing encounter with a nameless, non-speaking NPC.

AquilaRift
2013-11-20, 10:33 PM
When the woman "makes to leave hastily," has she already brushed past us or do we have time to ask her to stop? I think she could tell us some useful things.

WindStruck
2013-11-20, 10:44 PM
By the verb/tense, really sounds like she is still there, just in the process of trying to leave. Bet you can stop her. Or alternatively, the mayor could certainly share the earful he got with you. :smallsmile:

Kelvin360
2013-11-20, 11:21 PM
WindStruck has the right of it. You can stop her in her tracks, or let her go, or even dance a jig.

AquilaRift
2013-11-20, 11:48 PM
On second thought, I'll let her go unless one of you wants to stop her. We've got a couple of things to discuss with the Mayor, only one of which involves the murdered girl directly. It'd be awkward for a bunch of rough-looking strangers to question her about her dead daughter and then ignore her while whispering about spiders and chords and scales.

We can always track her down later if necessary. Elias is definitely filing her race under "CHARTESSA MURALS, CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE AGAINST" in his head.

WindStruck
2013-11-21, 06:45 PM
I'm wondering about the time frame of all this taking place. We were seen going into Defendor Investigations around the time the other three were at the fountain. I do think the mayor's office is a small distance away, but would it be reasonable to think our whole conversation that just took place in DI is over before the one at the mayor's even got started?

In other words, I'm wondering if we need to pause for a little bit? But you guys need to get moving as well. Probably waiting for someone else to do something? Time to settle this like grown-ups and decide by dice rolls! Social initiative roll, go, go! :smalltongue:

Other fun stuff
So I guess 500 crowns is 500 gold coins? There's 50 coins to a pound, so that's 10 pounds of gold we get for this job, or 160 ounces. The price of gold today is roughly $1300 an ounce. So basically, if it we were on a magical adventure in modern times, we'd be paid $208,000 for this? :smallcool:

Edit: well, I just learned of a "troy ounce" which might actually be what the price of gold is referring to. If that was the case, it reduces our bounty to $156,000.

Kelvin360
2013-11-21, 07:37 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure Elias, Orin and Santino are just standing in front of the Mayor's place, staring at the elf woman like deer in headlights.

Remember that the value of a certain good is usually based on supply vs. demand. In real life, gold valuable because of its rarity. However, in Faerun, gold, silver and copper are all absurdly common, such that they are the default currency as opposed to, say, paper money. Or just copper. So you're actually making more like, well, $500.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :smallbiggrin:

WindStruck
2013-11-23, 11:34 PM
So... uh... is anyone going to lead the way to or find the stables?

Is Santino gonna tell the mayor?

Is my poking unnecessary?

MLucas
2013-11-26, 03:34 AM
I've not really got anything for Orin to do atm.

AquilaRift
2013-11-26, 03:14 PM
I imagine all the US folks have gone quiet because of Thanksgiving coming up. I'll be gone Thursday through Saturday for the same reason.

WindStruck
2013-11-26, 06:21 PM
Thanksgiving won't be slowing me down, really... though I should be gone a bit this weekend... still, even that wouldn't be bad with a nifty tablet to occasionally check the forums. :smallwink:

Kelvin360
2013-11-26, 06:34 PM
Fortunately for anyone with free time, I'm available pretty much 24/7, barring the evening of.

AquilaRift
2013-11-27, 01:08 AM
So the town was founded by an adventuring party? Pretty classic one, too. Mirian's the cleric, now Baroness; Dannis was a paladin, now Mayor; Chartessa was obviously a mage. Does that make Adam "Oakes" the rogue? His habit of multiple identities implies something like that.

I also find it really intriguing that the Mayor is a fallen paladin.

Kelvin360
2013-11-27, 04:14 AM
His being fallen essentially makes him a fighter without bonus feats. Which makes the Big Four's party composition straight Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue.

This is also a pretty deliberate contrast for NPC and PC standards. Under the same circumstances, Eubert probably wouldn't have fallen, for example.

WindStruck
2013-11-27, 04:27 AM
So let's see, a paladin forsaken by his god, a wizard that can no longer cast magic... I can only imagine the rogue guy would be half-blind, crippled, and with the shakes, and the cleric perverted by an evil demon.

Plus I bet that baron is totally normal, but he's just trapped in an abusive relationship with her. :smalltongue:

...and maybe a gnome artificer that thinks he merely acts crazy but doesn't know he's actually crazy. Yup.

AquilaRift
2013-11-27, 04:30 AM
"Adam" we've met, before you showed up. He seemed pretty normal. Mirian we have no data on, but as she's a high priestess of Tymora, and this is FR, she has to be somewhere in the NG-CG-CN range. (I hope...)

Kelvin360
2013-11-27, 04:46 AM
and the cleric perverted by an evil demon.

This part legitimately made me bust out into evil laughter. So many ways to mess with the PC's, so little time...

Kelvin360
2013-11-27, 07:37 PM
Malak, when you get the chance, I suggest looking over page 9 on the IC thread and updating your inventory.

Malak'ai
2013-11-28, 11:57 AM
The armour stud or the deed to the house?

Kelvin360
2013-11-28, 02:25 PM
Whichever you feel might be more likely to come up.

WindStruck
2013-11-28, 10:26 PM
Well, hope you've all had a nice thanksgiving? :smallsmile:

Kelvin360
2013-11-28, 10:32 PM
Well I felt like I was in Valhalla the whole time and gained ten pounds, so yep, I'd qualify that as a win. Here's hoping it was cheerful all around.

WindStruck
2013-11-28, 10:38 PM
Valhalla, huh? That sounds impressive... or somewhat intimidating. lol I guess that sounds good though.

And an edit (from a tablet): So... I suppose Adrexah is done. Even with the goodbyes to the NPC. Seems Eubert is too. So now we'll be loitering outside of the Mayor's office. Speaking of which, Elias asked the mayor some questions which still haven't been answered.

Oh right, and about that. I made a listen check to see if Adrexah might pick up tidbits on the others' conversation a while ago, though that was temporarily postponed with Samnang. :smallsmile: But anyway, just wondering if I should make a new roll or if we should keep that one. But also, at what approximate time we actually start waiting outside the Mayor's office will be up to you, Kelvin.

AquilaRift
2013-12-01, 08:23 PM
Last I checked, Elias still had the deed. (My Thanksgiving was great, by the way, and I'm glad it went well for you. So much food...)

Kelvin360
2013-12-01, 09:35 PM
I'll rule that everything from the post I just put up is present tense. And with Adrexah's listen, she can hear what's going on pretty clearly. Eubert's a little sketchier, though he can certainly roll if he likes.

With that being said, I'll have the new thread up by tomorrow. Hopefully.

Kelvin360
2013-12-01, 11:14 PM
Thread's up. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317509)

I included an outline and the most recent post. Hopefully I can edit in anything I missed later.

WindStruck
2013-12-02, 06:36 PM
Hm, just had an interesting thought. What if someone at one point suspected Adrexah could be the shape-shifter, seeing as her eyes are covered and that would actually be a pretty clever way to hide it? Then again, all you have to do is remove the blindfold and check, I guess.... :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2013-12-02, 06:43 PM
Shh! Rule 1: Don't give the DM ideas! :smallwink: :smalleek:

WindStruck
2013-12-02, 09:52 PM
lol but it's so fun. :smallsmile:

Also, I mean, while funny, it's not really anything in the way of a challenge. Extremely easy to solve, as I pointed out...

Oh, and a suggestion trying to figure out what kind of thing this is. Maybe some it's some strange undead/evil creature (religion) or a demon of some sort (planes).

AquilaRift
2013-12-02, 10:03 PM
No ranks in religion or planes, though Orin might have some in religion... I forget.
Anyway, I will definitely be putting skill points in Knowledge (religion) once we level up. We've faced a fair amount of undead, so it may be useful.

Fishies
2013-12-03, 03:12 PM
I'm fairly busy with finals until the end of next week, so I might not always be able to post until then.

Right now I think Eubert should be waiting outside of the mayoral office, waiting for the party's meeting to finish?

Malak'ai
2013-12-03, 05:58 PM
Argh! Sorry about the wait people but I've been having major problems with both of my computers.
For some reason, they've decided they don't like the Forum's very much any more. Nearly every time I go to post something, they both freeze up and I have to restart. I'm not having any problems with other sites so I have no idea whats going on.

Kelvin360
2013-12-03, 09:09 PM
lol but it's so fun. :smallsmile:

Also, I mean, while funny, it's not really anything in the way of a challenge. Extremely easy to solve, as I pointed out...

Oh, and a suggestion trying to figure out what kind of thing this is. Maybe some it's some strange undead/evil creature (religion) or a demon of some sort (planes).

Enraged townsfolk aren't renowned for logic. >_>


No ranks in religion or planes, though Orin might have some in religion... I forget.
Anyway, I will definitely be putting skill points in Knowledge (religion) once we level up. We've faced a fair amount of undead, so it may be useful.

"Aww, no more exposition from me, then?"


I'm fairly busy with finals until the end of next week, so I might not always be able to post until then.

Right now I think Eubert should be waiting outside of the mayoral office, waiting for the party's meeting to finish?

Looks like. Fortunately, we're experienced in keeping conversations generic enough so that absentee players don't hold up too much. :smallwink: Good luck on your finals! This goes for everybody who has them, actually.


Argh! Sorry about the wait people but I've been having major problems with both of my computers.
For some reason, they've decided they don't like the Forum's very much any more. Nearly every time I go to post something, they both freeze up and I have to restart. I'm not having any problems with other sites so I have no idea whats going on.

Well you DID piss off an old wizard-hag. My bet is Char-Char up and hexed your computer.

Malak'ai
2013-12-03, 09:14 PM
That would explain my laptop, but what about my desk top and my phone? Not to mention my parents dinosaur of a laptop (when it works)?
Plus you said she's had her magic stripped!

WindStruck
2013-12-03, 09:32 PM
Enraged townsfolk aren't renowned for logic. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g



Well you DID piss off an old wizard-hag. My bet is Char-Char up and hexed your computer.
Huh, I thought she lost her magic powers. Must have gotten the snotty necromancer to do it!

AquilaRift
2013-12-03, 10:46 PM
"Aww, no more exposition from me, then?"



Elias doesn't like relying on other casters. Or other people, really.

Kelvin360
2013-12-05, 12:44 PM
Sorry if I'm laconic in my responses for a few days. Cold and flu season hit me pretty hard.

AquilaRift
2013-12-05, 01:40 PM
And now the party meets for the first time, if I'm not mistaken. Eubert and Adrexah are waiting outside the door, right?

WindStruck
2013-12-05, 03:47 PM
And now the party meets for the first time, if I'm not mistaken. Eubert and Adrexah are waiting outside the door, right?

Yup, and she should have heard nearly everything just standing out there since the beginning of the new thread. :smallsmile:

WindStruck
2013-12-07, 02:56 AM
I feel I should point out that the Messenger's note said the disappearances happened to the south, but dragon girl asked a random merchant and went north instead, and drug you all there too. From what I understood, the bandits used to be in the south but moved because of the druids or something. The big bad casters are to the north. The mission is to the south. But I don't think anybody in the game realizes this...

AquilaRift
2013-12-07, 03:03 AM
Ah. I was a bit confused about that too but posted without fact checking the last thread... I can edit my post, or I can leave it in and write it off as Elias being distracted and paranoid (both plausible). We may be able to clear up the misunderstanding IC.

WindStruck
2013-12-07, 03:13 AM
There's really no need, I think. Moxy consciously made the connection that there was a discrepancy but went where the random guards said. Then, when she enlisted your help, she took you to the same spot she got knocked out in. I don't believe she ever showed anyone else the paper, so for all Elias might know, those bandits to the north are the only bandits and the ones the job is after.

I dunno, maybe if someone was to bring up at some point that all this occurred to the north, it might make a difference.... though it seems the job is off the table now. :smallsigh:

...I guess I don't even know why I pointed this out then. Not that I want to meta-game and change everything, but maybe I'm just saying "We dun goofed."

MLucas
2013-12-09, 03:51 AM
Sorry I've not been posting much (as usual).

I'm off for 3 weeks from the 14th, probably with no internet. Unfortunately, you probably wont even notice ;)

AquilaRift
2013-12-09, 04:02 AM
Noted. If we get any treasure, we'll make sure you get your fair share!

WindStruck
2013-12-09, 05:12 AM
Well I can certainly introduce myself, but it's not quite fair doing all the talking... I wonder if we could assume Eubert introduces himself?

WindStruck
2013-12-14, 01:42 AM
So are we waiting for anyone else in particular at Defendor Investigations? It seemed to me a direct response was due, but there's none yet.

AquilaRift
2013-12-14, 03:03 AM
It's finals season in the USA. I don't know if our DM is a student but I'm not surprised he's gone quiet if he is. We'll probably be back to our normal pace in a week or 2.

Fishies
2013-12-15, 11:17 PM
And now I'm free! (Though I will be busy again during the week of Christmas.)

WindStruck
2013-12-15, 11:41 PM
Well, glad you're back! Didn't force you into too much while you were gone. :smallsmile:

Fishies
2013-12-18, 04:34 AM
Ha! We all forgot to roll Sense Motive checks when we were interrogating the blacksmith. I sure hope he wasn't lying or hiding anything from us! I guess the heat really was affecting us...

WindStruck
2013-12-18, 05:10 AM
Well I thought about it.... I really wanted to believe him though!!

Or maybe we should always, constantly use sense motive? Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to roll it retroactively just for the heck of it...

Kelvin360
2013-12-18, 05:06 PM
Heck, you can roll a few checks even afterwards. They won't be as effective, mind you. And I do recommend at least one 'insight' (WIS or INT) check from a few of you.

Fishies
2013-12-18, 06:24 PM
I've been looking over Eubert's character sheet since the party seems to be anticipating combat; I feel like I've made a mistake during character creation. So I figure I should ask before these attributes come into play: can I switch Eubert's 14 in CON with the 12 (10 after racial adjustment) in STR? Also, what character level might we expect this campaign to go up to?

WindStruck
2013-12-18, 06:51 PM
What exactly does an "insight check" do, exactly?

But I suppose I'll just roll for the heck of it and see what it gets us?

Sense Motive: [roll0]
Insight: [roll1]

Kelvin360
2013-12-18, 07:10 PM
I've been looking over Eubert's character sheet since the party seems to be anticipating combat; I feel like I've made a mistake during character creation. So I figure I should ask before these attributes come into play: can I switch Eubert's 14 in CON with the 12 (10 after racial adjustment) in STR? Also, what character level might we expect this campaign to go up to?

Mmm...I'll tentatively agree to this.

Also, I plan for this campaign to go up to level 20, and then to do a sequel in epic levels. By 'plan' I mean it'll go there if I have to take on the world to succeed, darn it. >_>


What exactly does an "insight check" do, exactly?

But I suppose I'll just roll for the heck of it and see what it gets us?

Sense Motive: [roll0]
Insight: [roll1]

Think of it as a sense motive against the world, or yourself. 'Insight' in this context just means that you're taking stock of your actions or what's going on to try and figure something out or notice inconsistencies not covered under a single person. Trying to gauge concepts, for example.

I'd be more than willing to accept an alternate ability or skill to roll against, though. WIS or INT won't be getting high rolls for a long time.

You notice after the fact that when the conversation turned towards the hideout, Kebur seemed very careful to mention as little about his 'partner' as he possibly could.

AquilaRift
2013-12-18, 08:50 PM
Next two days are going to be super busy for me. Final exams. May not have another IC post up till Saturday. Sorry for the inconvenience, just as the plot's starting to pick up.

WindStruck
2013-12-19, 12:34 AM
Well then, we'll just have to complete this encounter tonight then! :smallfurious:

Oooor, we could wait. Maybe even do stuff for you, if you have specific instructions for various cases? But still, two days isn't long...

Kelvin360
2013-12-19, 01:53 AM
I may as well put my suggestion out there, too.

Drop Elias and Santino back at the house, grab Thorard, initiate SWAT scene. I wouldn't recommend also getting Samnang or Bria because they have their own duties to attend and also the, uh...power discrepancy in one case, and also because I don't want to have equal to or more than the number of friendly NPC's in a conflict as there are real PCs. At least not right now.

Fishies
2013-12-19, 02:33 AM
Couldn't Chino could also reasonably fulfill Thorard's role?

Kelvin360
2013-12-19, 02:42 AM
True, but Chino can't cast arcane spells. I envisioned Elias' replacement, not another melee combatant.

WindStruck
2013-12-19, 02:46 AM
Couldn't Chino could also reasonably fulfill Thorard's role?

I suppose... however Chino isn't nearly as intelligent and can only really be "used" via handle animal. Right now he can help defend me if I get attacked, attack someone else I command him to, stay put guarding something (deterring other people from approaching), or attempt to scent-track.

Oh, and of course he doesn't have telekinesis and can't make tea.

AquilaRift
2013-12-19, 02:51 AM
Thing to consider: we don't actually have badges. If we break in and find nothing, then it's us on trial, and Davand goes to the block while we rot in gaol. Pity our breaking-and-entering specialist is indefinitely AFK.

Kelvin360
2013-12-19, 02:56 AM
Oh hey, that's right! You're not guardsmen! I didn't notice this!


Shh! Rule 1: Don't give the DM ideas! :smallwink: :smalleek:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

WindStruck
2013-12-19, 03:51 AM
Oh hey, that's right! You're not guardsmen! I didn't notice this!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

See, I don't mind this at all and besides, it perfectly makes sense. :smalltongue:

However in some other game that used to be going, another guy got pissed at me and claimed I was like the annoying kid in class that reminds the teacher they have a test that day. Ugh.. :smallannoyed:

Fishies
2013-12-19, 03:53 AM
Did Elias make an insight check yet? Eubert and Adrexah both rolled pretty low on that...

Kelvin360
2013-12-19, 04:15 AM
See, I don't mind this at all and besides, it perfectly makes sense. :smalltongue:

However in some other game that used to be going, another guy got pissed at me and claimed I was like the annoying kid in class that reminds the teacher they have a test that day. Ugh.. :smallannoyed:

That same kid tends to score highest on that test, though, I've found.


Did Elias make an insight check yet? Eubert and Adrexah both rolled pretty low on that...

I might just make it a Sense Motive check. Or either/or, even. Heck, let's vote on it.

Malak'ai
2013-12-19, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,
Santino's still around... I've been trying to keep up with everything but I'm run off my feet with family/Christmas bulls**t at the moment that I barely have time to check the game I'm running let alone the ones I'm playing in :smallfrown:.
NPC Santino as necessary and I'll pick him back up when I can.

Kelvin360
2013-12-19, 06:27 PM
'Tis the season to want to ram your head into your own keyboard.

It's good to hear from you; don't worry, we'll keep everything running smoothly in your absence. Well, actually, everyone else will, while I keep trying to bring the world to its knees.

WindStruck
2013-12-21, 06:17 PM
That depends on whether you get caught. Fortune's Favor doesn't have patrols in the Town, but if someone does take notice, you're looking at a little while (hours to a day, at most) in the Mayor's cells while he sorts things out.

What of the legal processes? Can information be ignored if it was found "illegally"?

Kelvin360
2013-12-21, 09:39 PM
Information can be. Evidence cannot. If you find bodies in the basement, somebody has to take notice, even if you're felons.

Kelvin360
2013-12-22, 12:45 AM
Everyone make a listen check.

Fishies
2013-12-22, 12:49 AM
:eek:

Eubert's Listen: [roll0]

EDIT: a natural 1... the dice are not with me at all

WindStruck
2013-12-22, 01:16 AM
At least a natural 1 for a SKILL roll shouldn't mean an automatic failure? (in most cases anyway)

Adrexah's listen: [roll0]

Edit: eh, not bad.....

AquilaRift
2013-12-22, 03:01 AM
Thank goodness for familiar Alertness: [roll0]

Fishies
2013-12-22, 04:14 AM
I probably won't be able to post for 2 or 3 days. Can probably check in briefly on Christmas, and then I'll be busy again for another few days. After that I should be fairly available. Sorry for any inconvenience.

WindStruck
2013-12-22, 10:46 AM
Just wondering... it IS possible that you could look at everyone's char sheets and roll for them if necessary, right?

Kelvin360
2013-12-22, 05:20 PM
Sure, but I can't promise I'll always be able to resist the temptation to make the character in question roll a Perform (Tap Dance) check At an inopportune moment. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, I'll roll for those who haven't after waiting a mite, then set the scene.

Kelvin360
2013-12-23, 03:46 PM
Santino: [roll0]

Orin: [roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-12-23, 04:30 PM
I'll take this opportunity while I have a few minutes in amongst the havoc here to wish everyone a Happy Holiday season.
Stay safe and have fun!

WindStruck
2013-12-23, 05:08 PM
Orin, Santino and Adrexah all become aware of a set of footsteps approaching their position. It sounds like the individual in question is wearing plate mail.

Uh, from which direction? :smallbiggrin:

Kelvin360
2013-12-23, 05:15 PM
I'll take this opportunity while I have a few minutes in amongst the havoc here to wish everyone a Happy Holiday season.
Stay safe and have fun!

You too! Hopefully Aquila and Fishies' recent dice luck doesn't contaminate your winter wonderland. :smalltongue:


Uh, from which direction? :smallbiggrin:

Whoops, sorry. From the South, the way you all just came from.

Malak'ai
2013-12-23, 09:46 PM
You too! Hopefully Aquila and Fishies' recent dice luck doesn't contaminate your winter wonderland. :smalltongue:

I live in New Zealand dude... It's the middle of summer here :smalltongue:.

Kelvin360
2013-12-23, 10:12 PM
Really? Huh. How do the logistics of that work? Is it June/July/Whatever or December there? I could probably Google all this, but you're right here. >_>

Malak'ai
2013-12-23, 11:40 PM
Really? Huh. How do the logistics of that work? Is it June/July/Whatever or December there? I could probably Google all this, but you're right here. >_>

It's now coming up to 6pm on December 24th 2013... I'm 4 beers down while staring at 4 racks of ribs being chared to death on the barbaque.

WindStruck
2013-12-24, 12:34 AM
The month and date is the same. The only difference is the seasons, due to the earth's tilt. When it is summer in the norther hemisphere, it is winter in the southern hemisphere.

Kelvin360
2013-12-25, 11:04 PM
I know more about DMing than oppositional hemispheres! Really! LOOK! A plot point!

Fishies
2013-12-25, 11:26 PM
What is Samnang's eye color?

Kelvin360
2013-12-26, 01:37 AM
I assume you mean the last time you saw him. Pale green.

I'll save you the IC question, too - yes, the man speaking to you now has the same color eyes.

That being said, bear in mind that insight checks can now be WIS, INT, or Sense Motive.

Fishies
2013-12-26, 02:25 AM
I'll be gone again for a few days. Will be back on the 29th or 30th.

WindStruck
2013-12-29, 05:53 PM
Think I'm just waiting for someone else.. anyone else at the moment.

Malak'ai
2013-12-30, 12:32 AM
Well I'm going to have plenty of time to catch up on everything... I had a heartattack 3 days ago and am just waiting to be released from hospital... And I'm going stir crazy because they wont/cant tell me how much longer it's going to take :smallfurious:.

WindStruck
2013-12-30, 12:37 AM
... a heart attack? :smalleek:

What did you do, overdose on Red Bull and Nicotine?

Kelvin360
2013-12-30, 12:45 AM
I'll second that :smalleek: and add not to do anything strenuous like go stir-crazy.

Seriously though, it's good to know you're okay after something like that. Or mildly ambulatory, at least.

AquilaRift
2013-12-30, 12:49 AM
I'm glad you're OK, and I hope you're well enough for them to let you go soon.

Malak'ai
2013-12-30, 01:38 AM
They don't know what caused it... Hell, they aren't 100% sure if it was actually a heartattack!
I'm having some sort of scan tomorrow then hopefully being released... If not, I'm just walking out... I've been cooped up for 4 days already

WindStruck
2013-12-30, 03:23 AM
Well I hope you get better / really are fine, and... since this is New Zealand we're talking about, I hope the hospital rates aren't a complete ripoff!

Malak'ai
2013-12-30, 04:49 AM
Well I hope you get better / really are fine, and... since this is New Zealand we're talking about, I hope the hospital rates aren't a complete ripoff!

New Zealand still has a free public health service... It's just slow, unorganized and the right hand has no idea what the left is doing.

WindStruck
2014-01-04, 02:38 PM
...so did you break out of the hospital? We could really use a rogue or monk that can sneak around.

MLucas
2014-01-04, 02:53 PM
I'm back from holiday, but am jetlagged. I'll try and post more tomorrow.

Malak'ai - hope you're feeling better.

Kelvin360
2014-01-04, 02:56 PM
I think the forums in general have hit a slowdown recently. With the holidays having only just been buried, it's understandable.

That said...poke! Arise, all! Up the Black Foxes! Ride, Rohirrim! By the power of Grayskull! Avengers Assemble!

WindStruck
2014-01-04, 04:17 PM
Sheesh. It's not just you. Seems all of mythweavers is down! But anyway, I suppose you don't remember Orin's wisdom or if he put any ranks into listen?

AquilaRift
2014-01-04, 04:36 PM
I know he's got better Hide and Move Silently than Santino because I remember Malak'ai had a minor existential crisis when I pointed it out. :smalltongue: But he can't pick locks.

MLucas
2014-01-09, 03:21 AM
Is there an entrance to the cellar inside? (Presumably it wouldnt be locked or as well trapped).

Kelvin360
2014-01-09, 08:25 PM
Yes. There's the main room, which everyone was in. Full of clutter. Then there's an open (but empty) side closet to the left when you enter said room. And at the opposite end of that room from the entrance is a small set of stairs and a wooden door. And while I'm describing things I somehow forgot to mention earlier, I may as well point out that the door is closed, but unlocked.

Fishies
2014-01-10, 01:40 AM
Are there any auras in the basement similar to the aura of the main room? How about the aura of the chest? And the crates?

WindStruck
2014-01-10, 11:35 PM
BTW, my character will still be standing around up there till a significant amount of time passes or a need arises to go down...

Malak'ai
2014-01-13, 06:59 PM
Hey peoples,
Quick update time. I'm alive and recovering well.

Obviously my mind has been a total mess the last couple of weeks but I'm pulling it together... Still no idea where my sense of dignity has gotten to but oh well :smalltongue:.

Anyway, I should be making an appearance IC again some time very shorty... Have to catch up on everything first.

AquilaRift
2014-01-13, 07:00 PM
Glad to hear you are doing better. We may have need of Search and Open Lock skills soon!

WindStruck
2014-01-13, 07:34 PM
Is it the morphine? I bet it's the morphine.

j/k, but all I can assume is your mind is messed up cause of hospital drugs...

well, welcome back... I don't think I've ever actually "played" with you yet. :smallsmile:

Kelvin360
2014-01-13, 07:42 PM
You have flawless timing. These poor fools are lost without you. :smalltongue:

Regardless of the sanctity of the complete team, it's wonderful to have you back in any capacity.

WindStruck
2014-01-13, 07:45 PM
So about these "personal items" I am looking for. Surely there must be something in all that "junk". I mean it has to be comprised of something, not just generic mush. Old papers? Old food? Old clothes? Antiques? Anything that appears to have been recently used/touched might help...

Kelvin360
2014-01-13, 08:45 PM
The scents in question will be going to Chino, yes?

WindStruck
2014-01-13, 08:54 PM
Yes, Adrexah's idea is to try to track whoever this person is by the scent of some sort of item that most likely has their scent. Chino will of course be doing this (I suppose Thorard could too but he isn't here at the moment) although I'm not sure how to handle rolls at all. I think the wolf has a mod to its survival skill, and possibly gets a bonus to tracking with scent, though the dc increases with time.

But yeah, I'm not sure what Chino's stats or skills might be. ...all I was really concerned with was which tricks to teach which animal. :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2014-01-13, 09:08 PM
Survival works. I'll toss in a circumstance bonus if he's been prepped for the smell. What method of communication will he use when he's found what you're looking for, or how he's found it, etc.?

WindStruck
2014-01-13, 09:37 PM
Well, generally when tracking something, I'd say he's trained first of all to follow the scent as best he can (duh). If the scent leads to some sort of dead end... well, he'll sniff around a lot but eventually he'll just quietly lay down. If, supposing he's found whatever and is right next to it... well 2 possibilities:

if the target is harmless, it will be a playful growl (trust me that exists, my dog does it) with tail wagging and nose right on it. Basically getting the master's attention to that spot.

If the target seems like a threat, it'll be more like warning growling, teeth bared, hair on end, a bit of barking. That sort of thing. Chino can defend himself and chase whatever. But typically Adrexah should be with Chino regardless, so she can tell him to do the "Down" trick to stop.


Edit: Wait.... who's in the basement and who's upstairs still? I thought some people were hanging back in case of some sort of back attack?

Fishies
2014-01-14, 03:50 AM
This room has me soooo confused right now... :smallfrown:

Kelvin360
2014-01-14, 06:36 PM
I updated the Battle Map on the first page of this thread. The outline in the upper-left corner covers the room you're in. X is Samnang, S is Santino, the B's on the edges are boxes, M is the chest. This is where I picture everyone is as of right now.

So Bria is guarding the stairs on the inside of the cellar, Adrexah and Chino are guarding them outside while doing their thing.

WindStruck
2014-01-14, 07:18 PM
Er ok... it didn't sound like Bria actually had anything in mind fitting my description either... did she? Or are you just thinking it is a valid tactic for me to try to get Chino to sniff out an unknown scent of an unknown person? :smallconfused:

Kelvin360
2014-01-14, 08:03 PM
"Well, almost everything up there had to have been moved by someone."

This is shorthand for 'everything in the piles smells like the person who moved it, and this house is only used by two people'.

WindStruck
2014-01-14, 08:36 PM
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying it up for my piss-poor reading skills. I'll have them start trying a search now.

Fishies
2014-01-15, 02:48 AM
How many crates are there in the room? Also, Bria and the boxes seem to be marked by the same letter on the battle map...

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 02:51 AM
Four total. Two against the same wall adjacent to each other, two more in more or less the same formation, but against the other wall and further down. I'll swap Bria's letter to L for the foreseeable future.

Fishies
2014-01-15, 03:51 AM
This suspense is killing me!

EDIT: also,


Not being blind, you see a rather short Kara-Turan, his white hair close-cropped. His plate mail bears the symbol of a circle, split by a lightning bolt, with seven runes equidistant from the center. This symbol is also present on a pendant he wears the source of that jingling sound.


"You aren't all the most inconspicuous group. I saw you leave when I came from the tavern." He scratches his unadorned neck before continuing. "I assumed you'd found something important."

:smalleek:

AquilaRift
2014-01-15, 03:55 AM
At this point I'm half expecting it to be more corpses. So is Elias, come to think of it.

Fishies
2014-01-15, 04:00 AM
At this point I'm half expecting it to be more corpses. So is Elias, come to think of it.

But there are only 4 crates!

EDIT: Wait, when did you find out about the corpses?

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 04:09 AM
If I could hug you, Fishies, I would.

Also, everyone who isn't Adrexah, make listen checks!

Fishies
2014-01-15, 04:11 AM
Listen: [roll0]

AquilaRift
2014-01-15, 04:13 AM
By "more corpses" I mean in addition to Denara's corpse. We only found that a couple of days ago in-game, even though the game's been running over a year.

Listen: [roll0]

aaaand I just noticed Fish's catch. I should have expected this when Kelvin expressed reluctance to let us collect Samnang -- because of inconvenient level disparity -- but then had him show up anyway. We're in trouble. :smalleek:

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 04:21 AM
I'll give us a day-long grace period for WindStruck, MLucas, and perhaps even Malakai to set in their reactions.

However, I see no reason to disallow you two the ability to stew in these results:

While two sets of clanking plate boots remain constant, one bearer of the mail seems to have simply vanished during the commotion, as has a source of light.

AquilaRift
2014-01-15, 04:27 AM
Great! That gives me time to review the last IC thread very carefully for a certain book. Slow clap, Kelvin -- in my eagerness to find a shapeshifter, I overlooked that particular Chekhov's Gun completely. :smallamused:

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 05:14 AM
Wow, did I miss something IC? :smalleek:

Fishies
2014-01-15, 05:29 AM
I thought you can't "C"?

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 05:37 AM
Eh nevermind. But here's a roll for listen in case she can hear the conversation down in the cellar or... something else alarming/interesting. She was moving over to Bria again anyway.

[roll0]

MLucas
2014-01-15, 06:26 AM
Listen: [roll0]

I have no idea what's going on - but that's OK, because Orin doesn't either :)

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 06:11 PM
Great! That gives me time to review the last IC thread very carefully for a certain book. Slow clap, Kelvin -- in my eagerness to find a shapeshifter, I overlooked that particular Chekhov's Gun completely. :smallamused:

Speaking of, I'll put the link to that one up in the first post for everyone's benefit in a few. I should take a peek as well. I find it both unnerving and amazing that I need to archive binge for my own campaign.

Fishies
2014-01-15, 07:14 PM
Oh dear... that roll, WindStruck :smalleek:

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 07:16 PM
Can't win them all. On the bright side, now we get to see what happens! :smalltongue:

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 07:49 PM
Yeah, after rereading it, it seems you only meant I can't move my arm. I'll assume the main arm. But since I had tried to brush whatever off, the other arm might just go too. And who knows, it could spread to the whole body. Still I don't know, so I'll just go with what I think I can do for now.


Edit: You know what I also just realized? A spellcraft check to tell what spell Bria was casting may have been interesting too! Man, I'm really curious, but I suppose there's no point doing sense motives and stuff unless your character has a reason to be paranoid...

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 10:01 PM
You're not feeling the effects on the other hand yet, but yes, the arm you used to sift through the debris is paralyzed.

Also, Elias can actually make a spellcraft check to figure out what she cast from memory if he has reason to. Though it'll take a penalty.

AquilaRift
2014-01-15, 10:13 PM
That's reasonable -- after all, he was paying attention to his own casting at the time. At this point he has no reason to suspect Bria, though. He can't hear her words, even if they're not just a side effect of the poison in Adrexah's mind. He assumes she's been captured and silenced somehow.

EDIT: OK, the exit has disappeared -- has the door been replaced with solid wall? Are the walls earth or brick or stone? Trying to figure a way of getting out assuming this is not an illusion.

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 10:23 PM
Here's the will save with that bonus.... [roll0]

It's not like there is a fear effect, is there? I was only really roleplaying you know. Doesn't hurt to let a villain spill the beans anyway. Well, unless your other arm could be paralyzed the next moment. Do'h. Oh well, I'm still saying it's roleplay. What exactly is this save for?

It seems she just hurt Chino. That was a very big mistake. :smallfurious:

edit: lo and behold, the dice gods seem to agree with me.

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 10:44 PM
EDIT: OK, the exit has disappeared -- has the door been replaced with solid wall? Are the walls earth or brick or stone? Trying to figure a way of getting out assuming this is not an illusion.

The door has been replaced with the same type of material as the wall around it, like an empty alcove. That is to say, flat gray stone, yes. I'll allow skill checks to investigate it or inconsistencies, or even a straight Will save to disbelieve, though I can't guarantee anything on that second one.


Here's the will save with that bonus.... [roll0]

It's not like there is a fear effect, is there? I was only really roleplaying you know. Doesn't hurt to let a villain spill the beans anyway. Well, unless your other arm could be paralyzed the next moment. Do'h. Oh well, I'm still saying it's roleplay. What exactly is this save for?

It seems she just hurt Chino. That was a very big mistake. :smallfurious:

edit: lo and behold, the dice gods seem to agree with me.

Oh no, it's not a Will save against Bria.

Really, I couldn't have made this particular confrontation more perfect if I tried. What a perfect moment for a Natural 20.

It takes you a few moments of stunned silence to realize three things.

First, you've unconsciously clenched your paralyzed hand into a fist. Somehow, that arm is again mobile.

Second, a moment of simultaneous rage and serenity has enveloped you. Every movement around you is multiplied to perfect detail, be it via smell, sound, or touch. You can, for all intents and purposes, see exactly where Bria and Chino are. The former is ten or so feet directly in front of you, holding her mace away from you, to your left. It is dripping some kind of liquid. The latter is five feet away from your aggressor, to your right. His breathing is strained, but constant.

Third...that plate-wearing bitch just hurt your dog.

((You are now experiencing a moment of Heroic Willpower - your Strength and Constitution act as though they are 4 points higher until further notice, and you have lost all combat penalties associated with your blindness.))

Now seems an excellent time to unveil a special mechanic I've been saving in my DM bag of tricks for just such an occasion. And yes, that third benefit is always character-specific.

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 10:52 PM
Well, let's take this awesome new mechanic for a spin, shall we? :smallcool:

Fishies
2014-01-16, 02:15 AM
How high from the floor is the padlocked surface trapdoor? And how tall are the crates?

Kelvin360
2014-01-16, 05:41 PM
It's about fifteen feet up, directly above the chest at the end of the room. The crates are L/W/H 6 x 4 x 4 rectangles.

WindStruck
2014-01-16, 05:47 PM
BTW kelvin, I was thinking of making the post about stabbing the wrist more ... "uncertain" but got a 14 and a 13 hit previously. Though maybe that was only because she was flatfooted or something I don't know. But anyway if it doesn't work I'll revise the post.

So... the cellar hatch in the back of the house is still there? interesting. :smallconfused:

Kelvin360
2014-01-16, 05:51 PM
Well the attack hit. I'll post a continuation in a while.

WindStruck
2014-01-17, 02:24 AM
Do I happen to get an "attack of opportunity" with the casting? :smallconfused:

Oh, and how much HP was that punch, would you say?

Kelvin360
2014-01-17, 03:28 AM
3 HP. I've already marked your total down on my end. And yes, you do happen to get an attack of opportunity on that casting. Roll on up thine three attacks and enjoy.

Also, the Battle Map has been updated.

By the by, anyone in the cellar can feel free to make listen checks to determine where that noise came from.

AquilaRift
2014-01-17, 03:39 AM
Listen: [roll0]

Fishies
2014-01-17, 03:52 AM
Listen: [roll0]

MLucas
2014-01-17, 04:14 AM
Listen: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-17, 11:50 PM
You manage to pinpoint the source of the noise as the box furthest from the door.

Thunk.

That would be coming from the second-furthest.

I'll add up Adrexah's brawl, and give some time for everyone's reactions to the noise before pulling in the varia for that scene.

WindStruck
2014-01-19, 04:30 AM
Well if you ask me, that chest is schmuck bait. :smalltongue:

I mean, the basement is already probably some sort of easily escapable situation. Whatever happens when you open the chest is probably what might cause something to actually kill you.

...or maybe nothing will happen. :smallwink:

MLucas
2014-01-19, 05:20 AM
I have a bad feeling it's the townsfolk or a noose that'll kill us. Which is an awesome trap.

WindStruck
2014-01-19, 06:40 AM
Ah, I have one more question... is the paralysis coming back, now that that heroic willpower is over?

Kelvin360
2014-01-19, 04:37 PM
Ah, I have one more question... is the paralysis coming back, now that that heroic willpower is over?

Yes. Slowly, but surely.

MLucas
2014-01-19, 04:56 PM
so, the floor looks like it's made of wood? (or at least, looks like wood).
But it's not that there's a hole underneath or anything.

Kelvin360
2014-01-19, 05:24 PM
Indeed. If you had to guess, you'd say it's very possible that the 'bottom' of the crate could simply slide away like a trap door, then reappear such that it seems like the crate was undisturbed.

MLucas
2014-01-19, 05:26 PM
Indeed. If you had to guess, you'd say it's very possible that the 'bottom' of the crate could simply slide away like a trap door, then reappear such that it seems like the crate was undisturbed.

Ah, got it.

Kelvin360
2014-01-20, 03:23 AM
Everyone's looking at Orin, right? More specifically, who is paying attention to who or what?

AquilaRift
2014-01-20, 03:25 AM
Elias is watching Orin, but hopefully back to back with the others so that we're in physical contact with each other. Like huddled penguins.

MLucas
2014-01-20, 03:43 AM
Everyone's looking at Orin, right? More specifically, who is paying attention to who or what?

Uh oh! That question worries me :)

AquilaRift
2014-01-20, 04:10 AM
When the DM asks for clarification, you've done something he or she didn't expect. This could be good or bad depending on the circumstances.

WindStruck
2014-01-20, 04:17 PM
When the DM asks for clarification, you've done something he or she didn't expect. This could be good or bad depending on the circumstances.

Either that or your writing skills are lacking.

I will not comment on what I think is the case here, however. :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2014-01-20, 06:10 PM
Either that or your writing skills are lacking.

I will not comment on what I think is the case here, however. :smalltongue:

When honesty is not the best policy, silence will serve. :smalltongue:

MLucas
2014-01-21, 03:40 AM
I cant remember (or find in IC) whether the clones have black eyes?
Are we able to tell the two Santino's apart?

Fishies
2014-01-21, 03:55 AM
The Elias-clone's body had blue eyes -- same color as the real Elias's eyes.

Right now I'm just worried that the moment we start focusing all of our attentions on the Santino-clone, something will pop up in the opposite corner.

Kelvin360
2014-01-21, 04:13 AM
I cant remember (or find in IC) whether the clones have black eyes?
Are we able to tell the two Santino's apart?

The ones in the crates had features identical to the real deal.

You can tell who is who now, but it's not as likely if they were to, say, get into a scuffle.

WindStruck
2014-01-21, 05:39 AM
I believe I also know how to easily tell them apart.

Fishies
2014-01-22, 05:37 AM
So anxious to find out what happens next! :smalleek:

WindStruck
2014-01-22, 05:39 AM
We find out that it isn't a doppleganger of Santino... It is his long-lost, opposite-alignment twin known as Onitnas!

(sounds like he was raised by elves)

AquilaRift
2014-01-23, 12:38 AM
... :eek:

Well done on forging the scraps of backstory I've revealed into a goad, Kelvin. (Nothing here is inconsistent with the story in my head, so far, but I can PM you more details if you like. Elias will probably have to talk to the party about it anyway, when/if we get out of this.)

I have to think hard about how to reply to this. Whether Elias believes his twin. (I'll roll Sense Motive but with the Wis penalty, who knows...) What he'll do in response. You've kind of cut to the heart of the character, here. That, plus a hellishly busy week, means I might not have an IC post up till Friday night.

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 12:44 AM
It would seem that while the Evilias is "free willed" he's still working for whoever... maybe since they were unable to magically control him, they instead offered the clone a deal to spare its life if it would do their bidding before leaving town...

Fishies
2014-01-23, 01:42 AM
Schmuck bait indeed... :smalleek:

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 07:09 PM
Schmuck bait indeed... :smalleek:

Indeed, indeed. :smalltongue:

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 11:22 PM
I should really have rolled for sense motive again. It would be nice to know if Aral is sounding hostile because he really doesn't like his enemy that much. Among other things. He said a lot.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Well not a good roll but no matter. I probably ought to be rolling sense motive ten times because of this situation. In the mean time, I guess the result won't affect my response so much, but I'm still interested...

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 11:41 PM
Whatever else can be said for Aral, he isn't angry at you, though it's redundant at this point to say that you've complicated his life a bit.

WindStruck
2014-01-24, 03:42 AM
Well, I must say... that was quite a posting spree! :smallsmile:

Don't you just love it when people are active? You can run circles around the other players, albeit only with harmless banter, I suppose....

Malak'ai
2014-01-24, 08:55 AM
Hey Everyone!

Sorry for the huge delay in any sort of activity, been busy with doctors visits and things like that.
I now feel sorry for giving my father so much crap about him falling asleep/feeling tired all the time after he had the first of his heart attacks... I've been exactly the same :smallfrown:.

Anyway, I'm slowly catching up on the action IC, should take a couple of days until I'm up to date (as long as you guys don't pile on too much more :smalltongue:) so the real Santino should be making a return around Monday my time :smallbiggrin:.

Big thank you to Kelv for keeping Santino alive in the background... Will most likely PM you for a breakdown of the important events since I've been away as my mind still isn't fully back to it's original ability to sift through everything for the choice tidbits :smalleek:.

Kelvin360
2014-01-24, 03:31 PM
Well, I must say... that was quite a posting spree! :smallsmile:

Don't you just love it when people are active? You can run circles around the other players, albeit only with harmless banter, I suppose....

Adrexah's solo mission has been quite breezy, I'll agree. I may have to split the party more often.


Hey Everyone!

Sorry for the huge delay in any sort of activity, been busy with doctors visits and things like that.
I now feel sorry for giving my father so much crap about him falling asleep/feeling tired all the time after he had the first of his heart attacks... I've been exactly the same :smallfrown:.

Anyway, I'm slowly catching up on the action IC, should take a couple of days until I'm up to date (as long as you guys don't pile on too much more :smalltongue:) so the real Santino should be making a return around Monday my time :smallbiggrin:.

Big thank you to Kelv for keeping Santino alive in the background... Will most likely PM you for a breakdown of the important events since I've been away as my mind still isn't fully back to it's original ability to sift through everything for the choice tidbits :smalleek:.

No problem! Glad to have you back! I can surely send you a one or two-paragraph summary at your discretion - while the activity has been dense, there's not terribly much going on.

WindStruck
2014-01-24, 04:12 PM
No problem! Glad to have you back! I can surely send you a one or two-paragraph summary at your discretion - while the activity has been dense, there's not terribly much going on.

Make sure you do the summary in the tone and style of Dragon Ball Z recaps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgOJWm7nm9Y).

In the previous episode (House of Horrors) our heroes discovered that Davand, the young necromancer who murdered the girl outside the mayor's office wasn't really Davand at all, but a shape-shifter! Looking for clues, they bumped into two newcomers, a blind elf known as Adrexah Holybough and a halfling paladin Eubert Goodthorn. The five teamed up, and The Messenger suggested they question the local blacksmith, Kebur Hillfire, who then sent them to an abandoned house in town.

But instead of the two shape-shifters they were looking for, the group found Bria and a new acquaintance of the newcomers, Samnang. With no sign of the killers, and no useful clues upstairs, the group opted to search the basement while Adrexah had her wolf attempt to track them by scent. However, they had walked right into a trap. 'Samnang' and 'Bria' were the dopplegangers all along!

Adrexah managed to defeat the evil 'Bria' clone, but found the cellar completely empty, save for a strange stone that allowed her to commune with an otherworldly being. Meanwhile, the others downstairs found the cellar exits to have disappeared and boxes filled with grotesque clones. The clones came to life, and now Elias and Santino find themselves face to face with their evil dopplegangers... more seem to be coming.

After a disturbing vision, the Evilias makes it clear only one will leave the house alive. Can the party escape the cellar and survive?


Fortune's Favor Episode #18: Double Trouble

...

Kelvin360
2014-01-24, 10:09 PM
Battle Map updated. Cl is Clorin, X is Samnang, Ev is Evilias, and Tw is Santwino.