PDA

View Full Version : Fortune's Favor (OOC)



Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Malak'ai
2014-01-24, 10:22 PM
That's it... I've had enough... Feel the wrath of a pissed off, below average Strength Rogue! :smallbiggrin:

WindStruck
2014-01-24, 10:24 PM
A key might be helpful right under the battlemap... let's see...

M = chest
A = Adrexah
Cl = Clorin
D = Davand
O = Orin
B = boxes
X = Samnang
Eu = Eubert
El = Elias
S = Santino
Tw = Santwino
Ev = Evilias

Ugh, these nicknames for clones are awful. :smallyuk:

Can we at least call them the Psycho Rangers?


That's it... I've had enough... Feel the wrath of a pissed off, below average Strength Rogue! :smallbiggrin:
I'm glad you finally got around to posting!! :smallbiggrin:


Another edit: Do we need to roll initiative then? :smallconfused:

Kelvin360
2014-01-24, 10:32 PM
Ugh, these nicknames for clones are awful. :smallyuk:

Can we at least call them the Psycho Rangers?

I know, isn't it glorious?

I was going to allow for a round of reactions before combat actually started, but sure, let's get initiative out of the way now.

WindStruck
2014-01-24, 10:34 PM
Well I'm just going to assume that her one arm is paralyzed again. How is the other arm now?

Kelvin360
2014-01-24, 10:36 PM
It's quite well. It looks like the paralysis stopped at the one arm.

Also, holy CRAP Santino. Right back into the game and your first action is a badass crit. Evilias is flat-footed as hell to that - roll extra sneak attack damage, man!

Malak'ai
2014-01-24, 10:38 PM
Sneak Attack Damage: [roll0]

There we go. And if he has the same number of HP as Elias, then he's all but dead :smalltongue:.

WindStruck
2014-01-24, 10:43 PM
Still not doing the unconscious/dying thing on the baddies, huh?

AquilaRift
2014-01-24, 10:52 PM
Ugh, these nicknames for clones are awful. :smallyuk:


Partly my fault, I'm afraid. I couldn't resist Santwino, and Kelvin ran with it.

Initiative: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-24, 11:07 PM
Still not doing the unconscious/dying thing on the baddies, huh?

Yep. 0 is the end of the line for your dearly departed doubles.

AquilaRift
2014-01-24, 11:36 PM
Additionally: is their gear and clothing identical to ours, at least visually?

MLucas
2014-01-25, 03:20 AM
Ugh!, glad that work week is over, and just in time to punch something.
Also, good to see you back Malak'ai.

Init: [roll0]

orin will punch 'himself' in the face - or flurry if he has time (i'll roll for a punch in a few hours - annoying on my ipad)

WindStruck
2014-01-25, 11:02 AM
Minor request: Clorin just doesn't sound fitting. It reminds me more of plants than a horribly lame pun involving evil twins/clones. So how about we go the old fashioned route and just call him Niro? :smallbiggrin:

Then again, it probably doesn't matter at all seeing as he will be dead in about 2 rounds...

One other thing... how are the clones' initiative? I think I'm just going to delay a bit till Adrexah knows what's going on... and I guess more importantly, who's who.

Kelvin360
2014-01-25, 03:29 PM
Additionally: is their gear and clothing identical to ours, at least visually?

Yes.


Minor request: Clorin just doesn't sound fitting. It reminds me more of plants than a horribly lame pun involving evil twins/clones. So how about we go the old fashioned route and just call him Niro? :smallbiggrin:

Then again, it probably doesn't matter at all seeing as he will be dead in about 2 rounds...

One other thing... how are the clones' initiative? I think I'm just going to delay a bit till Adrexah knows what's going on... and I guess more importantly, who's who.

That was my thought. Luckily we don't need to get creative with absurdly nonpermanent NPCs.

Initiative! The order is thus:

Evilias
Orin
Elias
Santwino
Adrexah
Eubert
Davand
Samnang
Clorin
Santino

So since Evilias just got shanked (which I'll post up in a minute), Adrexah Orin and Elias can act more or less immediately, in that order.

AquilaRift
2014-01-25, 08:27 PM
With the penalty for firing into melee (which I forgot rolling it), that's an 18... but it's still a critical threat.
Confirm: [roll0]
Extra damage: [roll1]

EDIT: Nope. At least it hits.

Kelvin360
2014-01-25, 08:58 PM
Ugh, sorry Fishies. I had forgotten you'd already rolled for that attack. I'll use the better of the two rolls when I record Sam's damage taken.

Fishies
2014-01-25, 09:20 PM
"What's the code word?"


"Miss Holybough! The password!"

Well, great minds think alike, I suppose...

WindStruck
2014-01-25, 09:22 PM
Well, great minds think alike, I suppose...

lol yes. Although it seems it will only really have a good one-time use for a brawl like this. That IS assuming Clorin wasn't given that knowledge too when he was cloned. And if Orin was actually paying attention and remembered.

Fishies
2014-01-25, 09:27 PM
Well, we could just come up with a new password after we get out alive.

Eubert will also ready an action to move into the path of Samnang should he try to break off from the melee and make a move towards any of Eubert's allies.

EDIT: Also, I definitely did not expect Santwino to attack Davand...

WindStruck
2014-01-25, 09:43 PM
Well now that you've tried to hit him again, I don't think you can just ready something like that at the moment....

And yeah, I don't get why he just randomly shot the kid. Santwino's on top of Adrexah's hit list after we get through sorting out Orins... cause really why would anyone do that, unless they were an evil clone?

Fishies
2014-01-25, 09:46 PM
Oh right. Just re-read the readying rules and I guess I still need to use a standard action to ready a move action... how many times did I just use the word "ready"? not that many, apparently. :smallconfused:

AquilaRift
2014-01-25, 09:51 PM
And yeah, I don't get why he just randomly shot the kid. Santwino's on top of Adrexah's hit list after we get through sorting out Orins... cause really why would anyone do that, unless they were an evil clone?

Elias 2 said that Davand 2 was a controllable clone, but identical to the original when he was not controlled (unlike Santino 2, a mindless puppet, or Elias 2, uncontrollable but a distinct personality from the original). He seemed distraught, presumably with guilt over the murder. I think Santino 2 shot him to prevent him from aiding us.

Kelvin360
2014-01-25, 10:50 PM
Ahh, level 2. When taking damage in the single digits is still the most terrifying thing in the world. In case anyone's curious, here's a stat list for ye olde clones.

Combat Report:
Santwino: Uninjured
Clorin: Badly Wounded
Samnang: Badly Wounded
Davand: Dead
Evilias: Dead

As a side note, this battle is going to be a perfect example of why combat is relatively rare for our party. You'll see why when it closes.

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 01:49 AM
Tumble Check: [roll0]

Welp... Guess who's now standing behind Samnang with a short sword aimed at the base of his neck :smallwink:.

Fishies
2014-01-26, 01:57 AM
Tumble Check: [roll0]

Welp... Guess who's now standing behind Samnung with a short sword aimed at the base of his neck :smallwink:.

Nice, that flank is just what we needed! :smallsmile:

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 02:00 AM
Nice, that flank is just what we needed! :smallsmile:

You mean it's just what I needed :smallwink:.
I don't think we need to worry about Samnang now... Unless he has over 17 hp :smalltongue:.

AquilaRift
2014-01-26, 02:16 AM
"Jump over the halfling" is not a combat tactic I had ever envisioned before, but I can't argue with results. :smalltongue:

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 02:22 AM
Well I didn't really like the image of trying to slipping under his legs... Could have been painful for Eubert and embarresing for Santino if he didn't get all the way through :smalltongue:.

AquilaRift
2014-01-26, 02:30 AM
I'm not complaining, believe me. :smallbiggrin: It's just that the mental image is on par with the dwarf-tossing scene.

Hopefully Samnang drops. Adrexah and Elias are dangerously low on HP.

I'm also curious about what Kelvin said here:


As a side note, this battle is going to be a perfect example of why combat is relatively rare for our party. You'll see why when it closes.

I am hoping it means extra XP or something.

MLucas
2014-01-26, 02:32 AM
lol yes. Although it seems it will only really have a good one-time use for a brawl like this. That IS assuming Clorin wasn't given that knowledge too when he was cloned. And if Orin was actually paying attention and remembered.

Hehe, I read the IC part asking for a code word and though it was a good ploy, then read this comment and thought 'uh, there was one?!' and only then read the resolution. Phew!

Also, when did Orin take damage? (No healer is fun!)

MLucas
2014-01-26, 02:35 AM
I'm not complaining, believe me. :smallbiggrin: It's just that the mental image is on par with the dwarf-tossing scene.

Hopefully Samnang drops. Adrexah and Elias are dangerously low on HP.

I'm also curious about what Kelvin said here:



I am hoping it means extra XP or something.

I guess it's because it'll take a week to recover?

AquilaRift
2014-01-26, 02:36 AM
I think we agreed on 'Denara' (that is, Elias suggested in response to Adrexah's advice and no one objected). But of course Clorin figured the game was up, so it wasn't put to the test.

Fishies
2014-01-26, 02:39 AM
I am hoping it means extra XP or something.

Oh yeah, that would be nice.


(No healer is fun!)

Hey! Eubert can heal up to SIX points of damage per day!! :smallsigh:

AquilaRift
2014-01-26, 02:39 AM
I guess it's because it'll take a week to recover?

That's a less optimistic possibility. :smalleek: But I think we should be fine. We do have Eubert's lay on hands, and Elias has a few cure potions in his backpack. Also, we can track down the real Bria later to heal up further, when we get out.

MLucas
2014-01-26, 02:39 AM
I think we agreed on 'Denara' (that is, Elias suggested in response to Adrexah's advice and no one objected). But of course Clorin figured the game was up, so it wasn't put to the test.
I was about to read back through IC when I saw the resolution - I think I still need to. :)


Hey! Eubert can heal up to SIX points of damage per day!! :smallsigh:
:smallbiggrin:


I think we should be fine. We do have Eubert's lay on hands, and Elias has a few cure potions in his backpack. Also, we can track down the real Bria later to heal up further, when we get out.
I'd forgotten Eubert would already have lay on hands. I think Orin will be stocking up with potions (hopefully at the magic shop or DI). Is there a temple we can get healing at? Imposing on an NPC feels strange.

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 02:51 AM
I'm not complaining, believe me. :smallbiggrin: It's just that the mental image is on par with the dwarf-tossing scene.
Oh come now, a guy like Eubert is but a small hurdle in Santino's way. :smallwink: LOL


Hopefully Samnang drops. Adrexah and Elias are dangerously low on HP.
Actually like I brought up in my spoiler in the IC thread... I think Adrexah is out of HP, unless she somehow recovered those 2 HP of damage from 'Bria' within a period of like 5 minutes.


I guess it's because it'll take a week to recover?
Probably that, and because if we're already fighting evil clones of ourselves, there's no reason the bad guy couldn't just make more clones...

AquilaRift
2014-01-26, 02:58 AM
I'd forgotten Eubert would already have lay on hands. I think Orin will be stocking up with potions (hopefully at the magic shop or DI). Is there a temple we can get healing at? Imposing on an NPC feels strange.

There are temples of Tymora and Mystra in the city proper, I think.

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 03:03 AM
Oh come now, a guy like Eubert is but a small hurdle in Santino's way. :smallwink: LOL

Now that was uncalled for. It's not like he only comes up to Santino's crotch... Oh wait... Never mind.

Kelvin360
2014-01-26, 03:14 AM
I am hoping it means extra XP or something.

No direct comment, but I will say that I calculate XP a bit differently from other DMs I know.


Also, when did Orin take damage?

*hastily re-adjusts notes* Sorry about that. I made a mistake earlier - I counted Clorin's action as a reaction to Orin's second attack, which was outside the initiative order. I fixed that in the post, not in my HP tracking. O is uninjured.


Actually like I brought up in my spoiler in the IC thread... I think Adrexah is out of HP, unless she somehow recovered those 2 HP of damage from 'Bria' within a period of like 5 minutes.

Extra HP from the CON bonus via Heroic Willpower counts as temporary HP. It's lost first and doesn't subtract from your main HP total when the HW ends.


Imposing on an NPC feels strange.

I actually created Bria expressly for this purpose. XD

In a game as NPC-companion heavy (relatively) as this one, don't be afraid to take full advantage of your friends that don't turn out to be evil clones.

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 03:18 AM
Extra HP from the CON bonus via Heroic Willpower counts as temporary HP. It's lost first and doesn't subtract from your main HP total when the HW ends.

Well then, since that means I got 4 temporary HP, and evil bria only did 3... then 7-5 = 2 left? :smallsmile:

Kelvin360
2014-01-26, 03:59 AM
You took 3 from the fist, which brought you down to 8, but that sonic blast she pulled did another 2, leaving you at 6.

Fishies
2014-01-26, 04:07 AM
Nonlethal damage doesn't reduce hitpoints though (including temporary hitpoints), right?

EDIT: Although come to think, HP from CON boosts doesn't count as temporary hitpoints (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm), so I guess Adrexah should be at zero...

Kelvin360
2014-01-26, 04:11 AM
Normally, yes, but the fist dealt lethal damage. The -4 penalty is annoying, but not impossible to overcome.

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 04:13 AM
Ooooh, right, that spell... sheesh you need to tell me these things so we're on the same page...

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 04:22 AM
So are we going to find out if Samnang is dead? Please let him be dead :smallbiggrin:.

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 04:25 AM
Also, is it alright if Orin makes a move now or does he have to wait for Elias first?

Kelvin360
2014-01-26, 04:32 AM
I'll rule that we preserve the initiative order. A few hours of waiting won't hurt. (Watch as someone gets hurt and I have to eat my words - literally, I'll print out a screenshot of this post and eat it)

AquilaRift
2014-01-26, 04:36 AM
...Hold on, did I misread it? I thought Orin went before me.

Fishies
2014-01-26, 04:38 AM
Erm, the initiative orders in the OOC and IC threads contradict each other... and I think finding out if Samnang drops or not might affect Elias's next action.

Kelvin360
2014-01-26, 04:41 AM
....?

Last post of page 9 is updated. File this under 'colossal DM screwups' and back away slowly...

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 05:17 AM
Hey Kelv,
Just making a friendly suggestion here as I personally find having to flick back and forth between the IC and OOC threads to check the Map and Initiative order a little frustrating (and time consuming), if you'd be willing to consider using something a long the lines of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15929513&postcount=225).
My players in Thorn in the Hand have found it to be a huge help with keeping track of not only where everyone is, but also any buffs/debuffs or other effects/abilities that are in effect.
I put it in the IC thread at the start of each turn.

Kelvin360
2014-01-26, 11:48 AM
Sure, I can do that. I'll rig something up and have it set with this upcoming IC post.

EDIT: Done. Let me know if I missed any status effects. As a side note, I'd like to echo a Mr. Stratus' praise for the godsend that is natural 20's.

AquilaRift
2014-01-26, 01:38 PM
I am very curious to know why Santwino is executing the other clones. I doubt we'll be able to get much out of him, though, since he's probably a mindless shell.

Fishies
2014-01-26, 02:19 PM
Eubert should have 21/21 HP, not 23/23.

Kelvin360
2014-01-26, 03:15 PM
Eubert should have 21/21 HP, not 23/23.

Nothing to see here, move along... >_>

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 03:18 PM
I am very curious to know why Santwino is executing the other clones. I doubt we'll be able to get much out of him, though, since he's probably a mindless shell.

I'm also wondering how his aim is so good.... he's shot past like 4-5 people, and a box that might have granted a bit of concealment to boot. Crap, Adrexah is SO dead with aim like that. :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2014-01-26, 03:21 PM
Well, it's the party's turn now. Action economy all but guarantees he'll be dead before getting off another shot.

Fishies
2014-01-26, 03:50 PM
I am very curious to know why Santwino is executing the other clones. I doubt we'll be able to get much out of him, though, since he's probably a mindless shell.

Whoever is controlling Santwino evidently doesn't want Clorin to surrender and possibly give up information.

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 04:01 PM
Yet another Tumble Check: [roll0]

Damnit... That's not gunna do it :smallfrown:.

Kelvin360
2014-01-26, 04:37 PM
I'm also wondering how his aim is so good.... he's shot past like 4-5 people, and a box that might have granted a bit of concealment to boot. Crap, Adrexah is SO dead with aim like that. :smalltongue:


As a side note, I'd like to echo a Mr. Stratus' praise for the godsend that is natural 20's.

I fully expected him to look like an idiot trying that stunt. Then again, Santino Prime did one-shot Evilias, so maybe the RNG is course-correcting.

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 06:01 PM
Yet another Tumble Check: <9>

Damnit... That's not gunna do it :smallfrown:.

Why did you even tumble there? Couldn't Santino have just.. you know... moved normally? :smallbiggrin:

Fishies
2014-01-26, 06:29 PM
Why did you even tumble there? Couldn't Santino have just.. you know... moved normally? :smallbiggrin:

style points though

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 07:12 PM
For style points, good point. But Santino could learn a lot from his evil twin. It seems to be much more efficient to just stand quietly in a corner shooting your enemies in the head! :smalltongue:

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 09:21 PM
Why did you even tumble there? Couldn't Santino have just.. you know... moved normally? :smallbiggrin:

He was aiming to Tumble into A11 so he'd be in a flanking position.

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 10:00 PM
Huh... does the position itself allow you to to flank, or is it that you have to tumble there to make it work? :smallconfused:

Malak'ai
2014-01-26, 10:18 PM
It's the position. I was hoping to avoid an AoO from Santwino when I went through A10, but looks like I'll provoke one anyway, unless I can somehow figure out another way to get to my feet.

WindStruck
2014-01-26, 11:52 PM
Yeah see about that. If he was using a crossbow, I don't think he would have gotten an AoO. :smalltongue:

Malak'ai
2014-01-27, 12:04 AM
Can still make one... Most likely not the smartest decision possible, but still something that could make things difficult for Santino.

Kelvin360
2014-01-27, 09:00 PM
For those of you keeping track at home, that means everyone is now level 3, and you can update your character sheets at your convenience. I won't make anyone spend some time training or learning to get their levels, though you're certainly welcome to do so anyway.

WindStruck
2014-01-27, 09:08 PM
Oh. Cool... I don't know if any actual training will be done on my character's part...just everything gradually gets better. Oh, except for a feat! :smallsmile:

By the way, would Adrexah get a little extra for beating Evil Bria and keeping her alive to boot? :smalltongue:

...oh boy I'm asking too much, huh.

Kelvin360
2014-01-27, 09:14 PM
You'll notice you have 100 more XP than Eubert or Orin. That solo quest would be why. So...yes! Santino and Elias have extra XP for much the same reasons - specifically rogue and wizard skill challenges. My 'super secret reason' why combat isn't as often here as hack-n-slash games is because I'm rather frugal with doling out the experience points. So far the party average is one level per two battles, for example.

AquilaRift
2014-01-27, 09:55 PM
I think "frugal" means the opposite of what you think, if two battles levels us up. But I'm not complaining.

Hm. I want to nab glitterdust, definitely, that's super useful and it fits Elias well, especially since we might be facing an invisible enemy at some point. Protection from arrows is an appropriate abjuration for facing bandits. If we get a reward I'll be able to scribe a lot of abjuration spells from that book I found, but that costs money and I don't want to rely on it too hard yet.

Skill points in Concentration, Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft again, plus one each in (religion) and (the planes). Elias has cause to research those subjects heavily, especially with the content of the vision.

Haven't decided on a feat yet. Most metamagic is useless at such low levels, and Elias isn't a crafting-items type. I'm leaning towards Eschew Materials for reasons of paranoia, but I'm open to suggestions.

Rolling HP: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-27, 10:02 PM
I think "frugal" means the opposite of what you think, if two battles levels us up. But I'm not complaining.

You're right; I meant 'thrifty'.

In all seriousness, you do have the right of it. We need an antonym for that word - one that isn't as hair-raising as 'lavish'.

WindStruck
2014-01-27, 10:22 PM
So you mean "generous" but you try to avoid such situations... :smallcool:

WindStruck
2014-01-27, 11:45 PM
Oh, here's a roll for HP: [roll0] then -2...

And I wonder what to get for a feat... do you think skill focus on listen would be a good idea? Or perhaps it would be a bit over-the-top..

One thing I really did want to do was improve sense motive, but it does seem like such a horrible waste when it's not a class skill... would it be possible, some day, if we ever multiclass and that class happens to have that cross-class skill that the previous points get turned from half to full effectiveness? :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2014-01-27, 11:49 PM
Toughness.

:smalltongue:

As for Sense Motive, if you multiclass immediately (or soon) to a class that has it, you can keep it at full effectiveness for the rest of your career.

For example, if you take bard, you could bump it up to 6 ranks right away, and then 7 next level even if that level is ranger, and so on. Mind, when you invest ranks during a non-class-skill level, it's still at double cost. As for your specific question, yes, you could do that, but you'd have to keep skill points saved for that special occasion.

WindStruck
2014-01-27, 11:57 PM
Well what I'm asking is, say I put... 4 ranks in sense motive for the 3rd level, which is still going to be ranger. Since it's a cross-class skill, that means you only get a bonus of 2 from them though.

Then suppose a level or 2 later I did get a class with sense motive... like bard. :smalltongue: Would that then let those 4 ranks I spent earlier count in full for a bonus of 4?

Heh, anyway, I was just asking because, again, I did want to increase that skill, and then I had a cool idea which could eventually make sense motive a class skill.....

Kelvin360
2014-01-28, 12:09 AM
Mm, no. If you want to do that, I'd advocate simply saving those skill points for when the class shows up. Same end result without real ranks in the interval. What's the idea, if you don't mind me asking? My tinfoil hat theory is levels in telepath.

AquilaRift
2014-01-28, 12:54 AM
On a different subject: there's a feat in Complete Adventurer called Hear the Unseen that allows you to pinpoint the location of creatures nearby you with a Listen check. It might make Adrexah's blindness less of a handicap in combat, if you have that book.

WindStruck
2014-01-28, 12:56 AM
lol it's a secret. :smallwink:

I suppose I could PM you the idea if you want...

But still I have to disagree. :smallsigh: You suggest saving up points for the "same result" but it doesn't make much sense RP wise. Well, that is, it makes even less sense.

You could have a character that's completely daft and gullible, for like 8 whole levels, then suddenly when they get that one class they were doing whatever with their unused portion of their brain, then their ability to sense motive and empathize with people explodes?

Why not just let the half ranks count till the class levels come? The discrepancy at least isn't that bad...



No, but then, Adrexah wouldn't be able to tell without tactile investigation.
Oh, and I was just asking that for the benefit of everyone, since it would have appeared obvious to them, but no one asked...

Kelvin360
2014-01-28, 01:07 AM
I figured. You don't have to tell me if you'd rather keep it under wraps, unless it's something you feel may need permission.


I need to sleep on this one. I'll give you a solid ruling tomorrow, when I'm more 'frugal' spreading 23/23 of my ideas outside the initiative order. :smalltongue:

Fishies
2014-01-28, 02:59 AM
You're right; I meant 'thrifty'.

In all seriousness, you do have the right of it. We need an antonym for that word - one that isn't as hair-raising as 'lavish'.

Erm, how's "generous" sound?

Hitpoints: [roll0]
Skills: +2 ranks in Knowledge (nobility and royalty), +1 rank in Sense Motive

Feat: I honestly don't know what to take here.


A player must have the DM's permission to take an exalted feat.

This is presumably because of the fluff requirements.


I could take Servant of the Heavens if I want to enter the Fist of Raziel PrC later on, but I don't know if I like the fluff of Eubert swearing allegiance to the Tome Archon Raziel.
Nymph's Kiss is a very very nice feat, but Eubert doesn't meet the fluff of having a fey girlfriend.
Eubert isn't strong enough to take Power Attack yet.
This seems like a really stupid option, but Eubert could take Weapon Focus (unarmed strike) if he wants to qualify for the Divine Champion or Divine Crusader PrCs.
One really interesting choice would be Good Karma, the Luck Feat from Complete Scoundrel that lets me redirect an attack targeting my allies towards me. And there's the Fortune's Friend PrC too, which expands Luck Feat options.

Malak'ai
2014-01-28, 03:28 AM
I could take Servant of the Heavens if I want to enter the Fist of Raziel PrC later on, but I don't know if I like the fluff of Eubert swearing allegiance to the Tome Archon Raziel.

You could also convince Kelv to drop the Raziel bit and substitute your deity in it's place.

Kelvin360
2014-01-28, 06:03 PM
Let's take a look at Raziel, shall we?


Raziel rules Mertion, the fifth layer of Celestia, known as the Platinum Heaven. Among his celestial peers, he is called the Firestar for his judicious wrath.

Initially sketchy, but...


Raziel offers guidance to paladins and devotes his energy to protecting the defenseless. Raziel opposes tyranny and oppression with a ferocity that is both startling and inspiring.


Stand up to all tyrants, and allow no injustice to go unchallenged.


Ilmater did not anger quickly, but when he did, he was fearsome in his wrath. He was greatly angered by extreme cruelty and atrocities, and at those who inflicted such suffering. He was particularly enraged by those who harmed or abused children and other young creatures. At such times, he set aside his doctrine of endurance and non-violence, and unleashed his full force to put an end to cruelty.

So, they both hate tyrants and oppressors, take stands for the defenseless, and are terrifying when moved to anger.


Raziel doesn't maintain a stronghold but can be found in any one of the city's great hospitals and infirmaries

Huh. Y'know a key trait of Ilmater's priesthood? Healing.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that Ilmater and Raziel are intensely similar. In Forgotten Realms' cosmology, it's more than likely that Raziel is an archon who is subservient to the Weeping God. Also note that the prestige class doesn't actually require you to worship Raziel, you just get more power from him since your interests align. A paladin of Ilmater tapping one of his gods' archon commanders for more divine power so as to crusade against tyrants is something I wouldn't bat an eye at.

In short: If it interests you, go for it.


But still I have to disagree. :smallsigh: You suggest saving up points for the "same result" but it doesn't make much sense RP wise. Well, that is, it makes even less sense.

You could have a character that's completely daft and gullible, for like 8 whole levels, then suddenly when they get that one class they were doing whatever with their unused portion of their brain, then their ability to sense motive and empathize with people explodes?

Why not just let the half ranks count till the class levels come? The discrepancy at least isn't that bad...

Upon further consideration, I'm fine with this. For everyone else who wants to multiclass or PrC, too.


EDIT: Hopefully that IC post covered the DMly stuff. Poke me if I missed anything.

MLucas
2014-01-28, 06:19 PM
I plan on updating Orin tomorrow.
in the meantime, hp: [roll0]

WindStruck
2014-01-28, 06:35 PM
Great! Thanks for the little conversation and responses! So yes, I believe another level of ranger it is, some sense motive and... damn still thinking of a feat. Perhaps it would be better to think of it as what would interest the character better... Well the sheet is, roughly 1/3 updated, anyway. Just missing skill and feat update.


BTW, I'll let you all continue on IC before responding again.

Fishies
2014-01-28, 07:03 PM
Hmm, okay. What about the Nymph's Kiss feat?

WindStruck
2014-01-28, 07:07 PM
Hmm, okay. What about the Nymph's Kiss feat?

Well, you do need a Fey lover for that. Hmm... pixie might be the right size, don't you think kelv? :smallwink:

lol

Kelvin360
2014-01-28, 07:10 PM
Sure. Fey tend to live in forests, though. Like the south forest. South of Fortune's Favor. By the South road. That leads South.

And did I mention South?

That said, actually qualifying for that feat may be a while off regardless. Feel free to bear it in mind as a later choice, though.

Oh, also, is anyone looting the bodies, aside from the paladin? :smalltongue:

WindStruck
2014-01-28, 07:26 PM
Sure. Fey tend to live in forests, though. Like the south forest. South of Fortune's Favor. By the South road. That leads South.

And did I mention South?

That said, actually qualifying for that feat may be a while off regardless. Feel free to bear it in mind as a later choice, though.
South, you say? If I recall correctly, aren't there like half a dozen plot hooks involving that area now? Are you trying to tell us something...? Maybe we should go north instead and find out what's up with this "Spider" dude. :smalltongue:

Also, I hear Fey also like druids, if I'm not mistaken...


Oh, also, is anyone looting the bodies, aside from the paladin? :smalltongue:
Eh, it's not exactly on Adrexah's mind at the moment. Someone would probably have to specifically bring the subject up, and I think even then it's better left put as "evidence" ... at least temporarily. And for obvious reasons, she isn't attracted to glitter and shinies.

But that said: "Every party has a looter, that's why we invited you..."

Just had to say it. :smallbiggrin:

WindStruck
2014-01-28, 11:25 PM
Hey fishies, it seems to me like you could probably get that Nymph's Kiss feat the next time.... since there seems to have been ample hints now that meeting Fey will be a possibility.

So my question is... how intent are you to go through with this? Would you want Eubert to have... you know... a Fey girlfriend? I know I would. :smallamused:

But really, Kelvin and I were talking about stuff, so your honest opinion would be very helpful. :smallsmile:

Fishies
2014-01-29, 04:54 AM
Eh. If I can't take the feat early, then I don't think it's worth fitting it into my build since Paladins tend to be pretty feat-starved.

RP-wise it doesn't make sense to take Servant of the Heavens right now either, since Eubert doesn't really know much about the Tome Archons IC right now.

I think I'll be going with Good Karma for my 3rd level feat; luck feats are really kind of gimmicky, but I do like this feat. It's a good gimmick, and gimmicks win at award shows (Macklemore at the Grammies...)

The magic sword is, I'm assuming, a Medium-sized longsword, right? If it is, should I treat it as a Small-sized bastard sword and wield it two-handed? How much of a penalty does Eubert take for wielding it in this way?

WindStruck
2014-01-29, 06:19 AM
Oh well, I mean we're only talking about 3 skill points... hmm... I suppose the RP fluff isn't really what concerned you at all, but only the benefits?

Kelvin360
2014-01-29, 04:46 PM
The magic sword is, I'm assuming, a Medium-sized longsword, right? If it is, should I treat it as a Small-sized bastard sword and wield it two-handed? How much of a penalty does Eubert take for wielding it in this way?

It's...a medium-sized longsword. The only difference between it and your greatsword for your purposes is 1d8 damage vs 1d10 and the fact that the longsword is magical. If you can use martial weapons, you can cart this thing with no penalty.

WindStruck
2014-01-29, 05:25 PM
I think in terms of damage and hit rate, the two weapons are equivalent. Only the longsword is probably better still, given that it is most likely a bit lighter, AND since it is magic, it can do other nifty things.... like pierce DR or hit ghosts.

AquilaRift
2014-01-30, 06:42 PM
Regarding Aral:
Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (the planes): [roll1]

Kelvin360
2014-01-30, 11:50 PM
It's not a name you recognize.

WindStruck
2014-02-01, 03:04 AM
Oh, I forgot, can I have some sense motives on the bits of conversations?

Regarding Aral's identity and why he doesn't want to say: [roll0]

The strange tidbit why Elias shouldn't touch the stone: [roll1]

Kelvin360
2014-02-01, 03:31 PM
You get the sense that Aral really, desperately wants Elias to touch the stone, but is advising you otherwise simply because you view the mage as an ally.

Kelvin360
2014-02-01, 06:07 PM
Agh, damn it. A little late, but I may as well note that everyone NOT blind can clearly see that Adrexah's right arm is entirely covered in a pitch-black substance that looks liquid but is motionless.

AquilaRift
2014-02-01, 06:14 PM
Really? Oh dear. Editing my last post in accordance.

WindStruck
2014-02-01, 07:34 PM
Agh, damn it. A little late, but I may as well note that everyone NOT blind can clearly see that Adrexah's right arm is entirely covered in a pitch-black substance that looks liquid but is motionless.

Good to know, good to know..... :smalleek:

WindStruck
2014-02-01, 08:18 PM
"I hadn't thought of that... we can't move the corpses so easily, though, and we need the authorities to examine this cellar anyhow. It's part of our evidence. I don't even know if we can get the clone to walk."


"I have some rope if you wish to bind whoever's left..." Adrexah reaches in her backpack and pulls out a nice, long, 50 ft coil of silk rope, slowly walking to the group surrounding Santwino. It was a bit difficult with just 1 arm, but she eventually brought it, with her arm extended. Then she asked Eubert, "Just one question... would Ilmater be offended if you used his gift to heal Chino?"


Adrexah accepts the potion and drinks it...

[roll0]

There's also still the matter of the clone and the rope she offered. Any takers?

It's not that I'm trying to have my character act all rude because you aren't mind readers. However, I've tried bringing the subject up. Maybe everyone just glossed over it and missed it. IC, however, Adrexah will assume people put it off for something else. :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2014-02-01, 08:30 PM
Sorry, I was debating whether or not to bind him given no skill ranks in Use Rope... I'm not sure any of us have Use Rope though. Or if it'll even be relevant since he doesn't seem to want to struggle.
Whether or not he's bound won't have much effect on whether he walks, either. Worst case scenario, it'll only be a convenient handle to drag him.

WindStruck
2014-02-01, 08:58 PM
Adrexah has ranks in it, however her hands are... shall we say, tied up... :smallannoyed:

MLucas
2014-02-02, 01:27 AM
Orin doesnt have use rope - and he hasnt wanted to take his eyes off the double.

AquilaRift
2014-02-02, 06:19 PM
I suppose it doesn't matter much who stays and who goes, as long as we bring back the authorities quickly.
From an RP perspective, Elias wants to get out of that cellar and into the fresh air as soon as possible, but I imagine that applies to all the PCs.

WindStruck
2014-02-04, 02:57 PM
So do you guys wanna pick straws or...? :smallconfused:

Just kidding.. How about Orin and Santino go then?

AquilaRift
2014-02-04, 08:55 PM
Might be more expedient for the people who are able to post more frequently (Winds, me, possibly Fishies) to go do the talking-to-NPCs bit. It makes sense IC, too: Elias trusts Santino and Orin more than Adrexah and Eubert, and is more OK with leaving them to guard evidence.

If you do want to go track down "Bria," though, I think your original plan works too. Leave Santino in the cellar to keep watch over his double, bring Orin with Adrexah (I think his move speed is higher now that he's 3rd level, so he'll be useful in a chase), and Elias can go alert the authorities with Eubert (paladin of Ilmater might add credibility? plus high Charisma).

WindStruck
2014-02-04, 09:11 PM
I suggested Eubert as he should have some credibility in this clone matter seeing as he does not have a clone/double ...yet.

MLucas
2014-02-05, 02:58 AM
Sorry I've not been posting more.

I think elias should go (already has raport with mayor) and Adrexah (needs healing, and the magical injury may lend weight talking to the mayor).
We shouldnt leave Santino alone with his clone! And neither party should be all new members (untrustworthy ;) )
Whether Orin goes or stays doesnt bother me (but he wont go after fake Bria until the clone thing is dealt with).

Btw - Orin isnt a level 3 monk - He's taken a level of Psychic Warrior (Something I hadnt planned, but I've never played a Psychic before).

AquilaRift
2014-02-05, 04:27 PM
By level 4, Santino may be the only non-caster left in this group. :smalleek: (OK, Orin is technically a "manifester" now, but that's splitting hairs.)

WindStruck
2014-02-05, 08:22 PM
I don't think Adrexah should go though, seeing as she would not be able to see the other people we may be looking for. Also, really, the whole black arm thing could creep people out.

Malak'ai
2014-02-05, 09:21 PM
Sorry I've been quiet, had a week of feeling sorry for myself.

As for who goes and who stays, :smallconfused:I personally think Santino and Eubert should stay. Santino has the better Search skill so he can keep trying to find evidence, and Eubert is the slowest movement wise.

If anyone disagrees then I'm fine with putting it to a vote.

WindStruck
2014-02-05, 10:15 PM
That's fine. Really, anything would work, but a little initiative in the IC thread wouldn't hurt...

AquilaRift
2014-02-06, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I think we might have spent more time trying to decide this than the issue really deserves. With any luck we'll be back soon anyway.

WindStruck
2014-02-06, 09:15 PM
Are we zipping back to the house with everyone else already?

AquilaRift
2014-02-06, 09:21 PM
Unless we want to alert the Messenger as well. The Mayor is a higher priority for Elias. He doesn't know anything that Aral told Adrexah about the Messenger, except that he might have something to say about the cryptic information the being's given her.

WindStruck
2014-02-06, 10:03 PM
Well either way, I think we'd have to bring the mayor to the messenger's office... I don't think that guy gets out of there at all... in fact, he might not even be real.

MLucas
2014-02-07, 03:22 AM
I know Adrexah knows more about the messenger, but is there anything that would make the rest of us think he'd care?
(I think i'm forgetting a lot of the IC info).

AquilaRift
2014-02-07, 03:28 AM
He said he'd pay us for this job. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

WindStruck
2014-02-07, 04:16 AM
Well, I think I could classify the messenger as one of the good guys. And quite a powerful ally with divine connections. So informing him might be beneficial and the right thing to do regardless...

WindStruck
2014-02-07, 05:32 AM
Kelvin... isn't the handy haversack extradimensional space or something? Just confirming if.. you know.. Aral should be able to talk to her inside it. :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2014-02-07, 05:39 AM
That's correct, and thus I presume the fact that he can still telepathically communicate with you is a bit worrisome.

Fishies
2014-02-08, 02:26 AM
Is Adrexah going to tell the mayor about the stone?

WindStruck
2014-02-08, 04:05 AM
Whenever the time is appropriate...

Fishies
2014-02-10, 04:25 AM
Eubert will continue to hold his tongue, for now.

Knowledge (religion) to see if Eubert knows anything about "Kiss-a-Ham": [roll0]
Knowledge (nobility and royalty) to see if Eubert knows anything about the Baroness: [roll1]

Kelvin360
2014-02-10, 02:21 PM
Doesn't ring a bell.

You know about what everyone else does. Powerful priestess of Tymora, lives in the castle, doesn't get out much, prefers to let minor issues in her jurisdiction sort themselves out. Really, since she's to rarely seen, no one knows a whole lot about her.

WindStruck
2014-02-13, 02:29 AM
Hmm would it be best to just describe what I want to do?

I just want Adrexah to wipe her daggers off on the cloth, then also get up whatever she can of it from what Evil Bria bled on the floor. Of course, this is all hard to do with one hand and blood stains hard to find when blind... I'd probably articulate my intentions and have someone else help, but it would seem unnecessary to roleplay every second of that.

Kelvin360
2014-02-14, 01:19 AM
Didn't she only hit Clorin with one dagger, and the other just fell flat? That second one should still have Briatch's blood on it.

In other news, my posting will be constricted for a bit. I won't be gone, just sporadic. Should give Lucas Fishies and Malak a nice breathing period though.

WindStruck
2014-02-14, 01:25 AM
Hmm I don't think so. I believe a 14 misses on Orin's clone. Also you specifically said that one dagger went in her neck, and another was lodged in her arm.

In any case, want me to just generalize what I do in the IC thread?

Kelvin360
2014-02-14, 01:44 AM
Then both daggers should still have her blood just all over them. So there's no need to scour the floor for a puddle of the stuff if that's your goal.

MLucas
2014-02-14, 02:25 AM
In other news, my posting will be constricted for a bit. I won't be gone, just sporadic. Should give Lucas Fishies and Malak a nice breathing period though.

I'm still here, lurking - I've not been posting this week as I've got nothing in particular for Orin to do (He was going to pick up the clone solo, but I wasnt sure he was strong enough. Hmm strange, I thought I'd posted about picking up the other end. Guess I didnt submit!).

WindStruck
2014-02-14, 05:43 AM
Well I just wanted a very nice sample of it... if you believe the blood on the 2 daggers alone is absolutely plenty for Chino to try detecting/tracking at a later time... then ok. :smallsmile:

AquilaRift
2014-02-15, 11:19 PM
Good to go as well.

WindStruck
2014-02-17, 04:28 AM
Er, I guess this is a conversation for Elias, and I think the chair is even meant for him... but I will get around to producing the stone and explaining what I can eventually. Seems rather secondary at the moment anyway.

Fishies
2014-02-17, 05:06 AM
Sense Motive (vs. The Messenger): [roll0]

AquilaRift
2014-02-17, 04:09 PM
He Who Walks Behind.

I see what you did there. :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2014-02-17, 05:18 PM
Bit of an odd question. What's Elias' middle name? Does it start with an 'N'?

AquilaRift
2014-02-17, 05:31 PM
I didn't give him a middle name initially, but it's Lambert. "ELD" is a less depressing monogram than "END." I don't plan on keeping him in self-loathing and fear of his own art for the rest of his life, or indeed the campaign. :smallwink:

Fishies
2014-02-17, 05:44 PM
So the one disguised as Bria is called Geoff? How does the Messenger know this? Did I miss something here? :smallconfused:

AquilaRift
2014-02-17, 05:55 PM
The Messenger has a track record of knowing things that he shouldn't be able to know. I don't know how he got the name either. It worries Elias, but at least he seems to be on our side...

Kelvin360
2014-02-17, 05:57 PM
I didn't give him a middle name initially, but it's Lambert. "ELD" is a less depressing monogram than "END." I don't plan on keeping him in self-loathing and fear of his own art for the rest of his life, or indeed the campaign. :smallwink:

Well, unless you place it in order as a government document. Then it's E. N. Dure.


So the one disguised as Bria is called Geoff? How does the Messenger know this? Did I miss something here? :smallconfused:

This:


The Messenger has a track record of knowing things that he shouldn't be able to know. I don't know how he got the name either. It worries Elias, but at least he seems to be on our side...

AquilaRift
2014-02-17, 06:05 PM
Well, unless you place it in order as a government document. Then it's E. N. Dure.

I wish I'd thought of that! It's a little too obvious, perhaps, but fitting. Well, if it ever becomes plot-relevant in character, I'll have to make a decision on what his "canon" middle name is then. I'd been thinking of picking up Bear's Endurance, too, until the transition to 3.5.

Speaking of spells, are we going to have sufficient downtime in this campaign for Elias to copy any from Chartessa's books? Necromancy is useless to him, but if he scribes some useful abjurations into his spellbook I can save his free spells at level-up for useful things from other schools.

Kelvin360
2014-02-17, 06:21 PM
Maybe not for a few more pages of the IC thread, but the lot of you will have significant breathing room in between apocalyptic disasters, yes.

AquilaRift
2014-02-17, 06:24 PM
Excellent. The process takes 24 hours per spell and has a significant cost in gold, so it'll probably have to wait till after we take care of the bandits anyway, but that is good to know.

Kelvin360
2014-02-17, 06:39 PM
Mind that I'm not enforcing a few things about that process. First, while Arcane Spells states that it takes 24 hours, the skill check under Spellcraft says 8. You'll be using the latter amount of time.

Second, each spell only takes up something like a fifth of a page, and I won't ask you to keep track of how many pages are in your spellbook.

You still have to pay 100 gold per spell level, but that won't be as prohibitive later.

WindStruck
2014-02-17, 10:07 PM
I see what you did there. :smalltongue:

Is that like the being mentioned in the Dresden Files? Or maybe it is the Crazed Buttstabber. :smalltongue:

Sorry, it's a Markiplier joke. :smallbiggrin:

AquilaRift
2014-02-17, 10:17 PM
I was thinking of the Dresden Files, yes.

Kelvin360
2014-02-17, 11:05 PM
They're not the same being, but they're similar and I felt the moniker would be appropriate. Also, Kzz would win in a fight.

AquilaRift
2014-02-17, 11:16 PM
Good artists borrow, great artists steal. And that is so very comforting.

AquilaRift
2014-02-18, 01:21 AM
By the way, this latest exchange with the Messenger is not doing a lot to reassure Elias he made the right decision by staying.

Kelvin360
2014-02-18, 01:31 AM
Unfortunately, there's not a very good way to sugarcoat that you're tangling with a demon. But make a Knowledge (Planes) check.

AquilaRift
2014-02-18, 01:56 AM
Good thing I just put points in it. [roll0]
Don't worry, he's not about to do a bunk. I think metagaming in the service of the campaign continuing to function is acceptable (everyone hates that guy who sabotages everything because "it makes sense for my character"), and fleeing the town the game is named after seems like a Bad Decision. But his paranoia might crank up a couple of notches.

EDIT: Ow.

Kelvin360
2014-02-18, 02:15 AM
Aw, that's sweet of you. I wouldn't necessarily blame you guys for trotting off to have a separate whirlwind adventure, though, especially after that blatant piece of railroad track the Messenger just dropped.

AquilaRift
2014-02-18, 03:54 AM
Well, there's always that job we promised to help Eubert and Adrexah with...

WindStruck
2014-02-19, 01:48 AM
Aral taking up her thoughts would still likely consume time... anyone else saying anything, or we all just stand around awkwardly while Adrexah kind of just stands there blankly? lol

AquilaRift
2014-02-19, 02:09 AM
I'm gonna jump in. Sorry I've been quiet lately, haven't had much brainspace to figure out what Elias will say next. I'll try to have a post up tonight or tomorrow.

MLucas
2014-02-19, 03:42 AM
I have no idea if what Orin is trying is possible (talking to the being in the stone, without touching it) - but then, nor does Orin :)

Kelvin360
2014-02-19, 05:12 PM
I have no idea if what Orin is trying is possible (talking to the being in the stone, without touching it) - but then, nor does Orin :)

Make your choice of a Will Save, Concentration check, or Psicraft check.

MLucas
2014-02-19, 05:52 PM
Make your choice of a Will Save, Concentration check, or Psicraft check.

Concentration : [roll0]

WindStruck
2014-02-19, 08:40 PM
Did Adrexah hear Orin's "Hello."? And if she did, could she tell it wasn't normal speech? Due to a lack of personal experience with hearing voices in my head, I am not sure if one can easily tell the difference. :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2014-02-19, 08:46 PM
Yes and yes. A psychic message doesn't have the same...'tone' as speech. It's kind of like the difference between speaking in a crowded hall and a vast, empty gym. Particularly now that Adrexah is growing accustomed to the difference, it's not a problem.

MLucas
2014-02-20, 01:53 AM
I gather Orin doesnt know she can hear until she 'speaks' though :)

WindStruck
2014-02-20, 04:05 AM
Still just listening at the moment. :smallsmile:

Kelvin360
2014-02-20, 11:17 PM
You guys have a serious knack for pissing off superpowerful beings. XD Simply by virtue of rotation, either Eubert or Orin are next.

Kelvin360
2014-02-22, 02:24 AM
Adrexah has left the conversation and thus is no longer connected to the telepathic communique. :smallwink:

WindStruck
2014-02-22, 02:27 AM
Oh, hmm... I thought I could still hear it just kinda by being there and somewhat caring about it, or has Aral sort of blocked me? :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2014-02-22, 02:28 AM
At this point, you can't be sure. But the stone isn't in your possession, so make of that what you will. You DID rightfully point out a discrepancy in what was actually said and what I was actually trying to convey, though, so the post has been altered slightly to reflect this.

WindStruck
2014-02-22, 04:22 AM
Hrm, perhaps I should just delete that post then...

Fishies
2014-02-23, 02:38 PM
Doesn't the party own a house or something?

WindStruck
2014-02-23, 03:56 PM
Yes, in fact they do.... I'm not sure how much room there is in it though...

Kelvin360
2014-02-23, 04:28 PM
Quite a bit. However, Elias, Orin, and Santino collectively own it. It's up to their characters to collectively decide whether or not to offer room and board to a duo they met half an hour ago.

AquilaRift
2014-02-24, 12:55 AM
I'm leaning towards "no," simply because Denara's existence isn't common knowledge and I'm not sure it should be yet. Once we've fought alongside the new folks more, though, I think we should invite them in. It's nice to have a home base.

WindStruck
2014-02-28, 08:02 PM
*looks around shiftily*

Fishies
2014-02-28, 08:21 PM
I don't remember -- has Eubert heard of the Spider, March, or Mettik IC yet?

WindStruck
2014-02-28, 08:54 PM
Don't think he has... also that question Adrexah asked was directed at the messenger, but anyone who feels they have an answer may as well speak up.

WindStruck
2014-03-05, 01:03 AM
Hmm, shall we head on over... or... :smallconfused:

Kelvin360
2014-03-05, 01:43 AM
I was waiting on Santino a bit. We can move the scene forward, though.

WindStruck
2014-03-05, 07:49 PM
Are we introducing ourselves here and now, or is the mayor referring to when we actually meet the baroness?

Kelvin360
2014-03-05, 08:14 PM
He means 'introduce yourselves whenever you want, wherever you want'.

AquilaRift
2014-03-08, 05:27 PM
Draco von Blüdenschlack? The guy's not making much of an effort to hide it, is he? :smalltongue:

Fishies
2014-03-08, 06:00 PM
Draco von Blüdenschlack? The guy's not making much of an effort to hide it, is he? :smalltongue:

Yeah, seriously...

I think I've already made a roll for the Baroness, but the Baron is a separate entity, so... Does Eubert know anything about the Baron?

Knowledge (nobility): [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-03-08, 08:36 PM
Most people from outside the city don't even know Fortune's Favor HAS a Baron. He rarely leaves the castle, let alone the city, and is primarily responsible for cloistered diplomacy - that is to say, he writes what emissaries bring to important figures so that they need never meet face to face.

WindStruck
2014-03-09, 02:23 AM
Woah, is this The Baron, which cropped up in a previous knowledge check I did? As in the strange guy no one ever really sees or knows much about? Or was that someone else...? :smallconfused:

Sorry, computer access is somewhat... inconvenient at the moment, so I can't really dig back to know for sure what the subject was right now.

But in the mean time, I ought to maybe do some sense motive before acting, because not only does he seem very strange now, but also stuff regarding my spoiler information.

[roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-03-09, 02:50 AM
You mean THIS check?




Adrexah's Result:
Yep, they're the same person. Baron von Blüdenschlack came unto his barony of Fortune's Favor by marriage to the Baroness, but he isn't especially well known, or often seen. Rumors about him range from everything to 'he doesn't really exist' to 'he's a vampire'.

If so, then yes. Yes he is.

I also have to ask...what exactly are you sensing for?

WindStruck
2014-03-09, 03:15 AM
How about something along the lines of "Why does this guy seem like such a stiff, and might this happen to have something to do with that 'other' person?"

Kelvin360
2014-03-09, 03:23 AM
He's definitely displeased about something, and it's definitely something your group, specifically, did. It could be anything from Chino shedding on the carpet to, yes, the psychic of indeterminate origin in Orin's pocket.

AquilaRift
2014-03-09, 03:54 AM
It's frustrating to be absolutely certain of something plot-relevant and hugely significant that your character doesn't have the necessary information to pick up on.
...Bunch of knowledge rolls regarding his red eyes, which are the only visible cue that he's not human...
arcana: [roll0]
religion: [roll1]
planes: [roll2]

EDIT: Ugh, the roll that relates to undead is the only one I roll low on. :smallsigh:

Kelvin360
2014-03-09, 05:04 AM
The easiest explanation is just that he's an albino who dyes his hair. But that's not really what you're looking for, now is it?

If he's some sort of threatening beast who's managed to get in the Baroness' good graces for this long, he'd need to be connected to Tymora or good at manipulation. Those prerequisites shout some form of fate-stealing demon, or possibly an incubus. Those don't rule out a shapeshifting creature like a Rakshasa, Barghest, Ogre Mage, Efreet...and all of those are only 'traditional' threats.

With a wood elf in his direct service, it's also possible he's some sort of Unseelie Court agent, but that's altogether a different check.

The problem is, not a single one of those aside from the first two fit with a personality type that shies away from the spotlight. You can be sure that if an Efreet, for example, hoodwinked a high priestess of Tymora, they would be living as flamboyantly as possible.

In short, a supernatural explanation is something naturally sneaky, with a disinclination toward fame, that either has passable shapeshifting abilities or an amazing proclivity for mind control.

WindStruck
2014-03-09, 09:34 AM
Hm, Draias is the mayor, right? Really only seems to make sense in the context, even if she never picked up his names...

Also, you think he's a vampire? I was thinking so too, but then again, seems a bit too obvious, doesn't it? :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2014-03-09, 01:07 PM
I hadn't thought of that. Could be a red herring... but then again, if he makes people think he's a vampire in order to deflect suspicion, his true nature has to be even worse...

WindStruck
2014-03-09, 01:19 PM
Another suggestion for you all... instead of a knowledge check on this baron, specifically, how about on his family/house in general? Broad information like how old the family is, where they're from, how they acquired their status... possibly even a breakdown of what the name represents. Honestly it sounds german for "bloody something".

Here's my roll... untrained knowledge (nobility): [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-03-09, 03:22 PM
Hm, Draias is the mayor, right? Really only seems to make sense in the context, even if she never picked up his names...

Also, you think he's a vampire? I was thinking so too, but then again, seems a bit too obvious, doesn't it? :smalltongue:

Actually, Adrexah wouldn't know this, so it's completely appropriate for her to be unsure!

As you may recall from your prison visit, Draias Maernlylthfi is the captain of the guard, and fulfills the secondary duty of being the Baron's personal guard and aide.


Another suggestion for you all... instead of a knowledge check on this baron, specifically, how about on his family/house in general? Broad information like how old the family is, where they're from, how they acquired their status... possibly even a breakdown of what the name represents. Honestly it sounds german for "bloody something".

Here's my roll... untrained knowledge (nobility): [roll0]

Nadda, unfortunately. Though I'll add that you lot can make Intelligence or Speak Language checks to decipher that surname.

MLucas
2014-03-09, 05:58 PM
So, could Orin hear Adrexah's comments?
Also, can Orin talk without touching the stone? (He did originally)

Kelvin360
2014-03-09, 06:59 PM
Yes he can.

Possibly, but it requires concentration.

WindStruck
2014-03-09, 11:14 PM
Got nothing to say/do at the moment... mainly waiting to see if anyone else has something to say or if we wind up moving on, I suppose.

WindStruck
2014-03-11, 12:20 AM
Actually, wouldn't say my character is that paranoid, but I just thought of something. Could I perhaps make a listen check to see if maybe the baron and guard captain are saying something behind the door as they walk off?

Listen: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-03-11, 08:25 PM
"Do you think they will kill her?"

"Absolutely. She has become...a liability."

"Shall I, then?"

"That is a job for the headsman. You have other duties."

WindStruck
2014-03-13, 06:20 PM
Just checking... are we waiting to see if Orin, Santino, or Eubert do anything?

AquilaRift
2014-03-13, 06:28 PM
Been too busy to post an adequate response to the information we're getting. Sorry about that. Will try Friday.

Kelvin360
2014-03-13, 06:47 PM
Just checking... are we waiting to see if Orin, Santino, or Eubert do anything?

Orin, yes. Though I imagine Eubert might have something to say, too. Really, I'm just waiting on the party as a whole, not a specific person.

MLucas
2014-03-13, 10:34 PM
Sorry, i've been busy too. Will try to post today.

WindStruck
2014-03-14, 06:59 PM
Regarding the whole story and getting the Baroness up to speed, do you guys think that it should be montaged, for the most part?

I would not mind spending time here though. In fact, after going over a few events and further questions from the Baroness, maybe that could jog our memories.

AquilaRift
2014-03-14, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't mind merely summarizing it and glossing over Elias's (and Orin's and Santino's) actual dialogue. I just need to look through the thread and refresh my own memory...

WindStruck
2014-03-14, 09:50 PM
Um. Whoops. I just realized I addressed Eubert, not Elias. I will fix that. :smalltongue:

An additional query: was that prophecy mentioned? The thing about the Scale and the Chord? Adrexah should have something to say about that as well...

Fishies
2014-03-15, 05:06 AM
retroactive Sense Motive check vs. the baron and guard captain: [roll0]

WindStruck
2014-03-15, 10:59 AM
I suppose kelvin will also want to ask you what specifically you are trying to find out... been having a time issues posting? Maybe he could let it slide that the check is done after the fact...

Kelvin360
2014-03-15, 11:59 AM
I suppose kelvin will also want to ask you what specifically you are trying to find out...

This is true.

Fishies
2014-03-15, 06:17 PM
Erm, right. Sorry about that. I was just hoping for some sort of hunch about those two since the events have already passed. But to be specific, the points of interest are:


The man sniffs, but betrays no other reaction to your introductions. "Baron Draco von Blüdenschlack. I will be showing you to the meeting area. However, Draias and I will not be attending." His jaw clenches.

"Have you any requests beforehand?"

Am I correct in assuming that the Baron is... unhappy with not being in the meeting? Also, I am curious as to what he meant by 'requests'.


"While I appreciate your estimations of my intelligence network, Miss Holybough, I am afraid that I know quite little about the situation at hand. A circumstance that I have been inform is for the best. As for Mayordom, I cannot claim that title either - that would be Dannis, next to you."

Is he being truthful?

Kelvin360
2014-03-15, 06:59 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the Baron is... unhappy with not being in the meeting?

Goodness, yes. It might not even be a stretch to say that he's never been left out of one before.



Also, I am curious as to what he meant by 'requests'.

He was referring to the 'noble' meeting standards. Minor things, such as if you prefer specific refreshments, need your boots waxed, and so on.



Is he being truthful?

Mmm, yes. Though it's unclear which 'situation at hand' he was referencing.

AquilaRift
2014-03-15, 07:21 PM
Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (planes): [roll1]
Knowledge (history): [roll2]
Knowledge (religion): [roll3]

What is a Liferent?

Kelvin360
2014-03-15, 07:31 PM
This is a highly necromantic subject, so your details aren't complete, but you know the basics.

Life in the Realms exists in tandem with two constant forces; negative energy and positive energy. The latter gives life, and the former takes it away, or twists it. The Liferent are those who, by some arcane circumstance, do not operate exclusively on positive energy. In essence, they are like unto positive energy black holes. What they do absorb sustains them as it would a regular being, but it is not then passed on to the rest of the cosmos as a whole.

Instead, when a Liferent gains too much positive energy, it is stored and released, converted into its polar opposite. Liferent can channel negative energy as easily as they breathe and, in fact, have more at their disposal than a normal man could survive with. Thus, for example, a Liferent cleric, no matter their faith, could never channel positive energy, but could channel negative energy exceptionally well.

This has risks, however. The more this store of energy is used, the more it can corrupt the Liferent if it is not them used more often. If they die with too much negative energy pent up within themselves, it is all released at the time of their death, killing any living creature within a good distance and reanimating the Liferent as a negative energy elemental which retains full control over the abilities it had in life.

Due to your Knowledge check, you gain 2 extra specific questions on the nature of the Liferent, because the DM can't put it all down now and has to leave in a few.

WindStruck
2014-03-15, 08:07 PM
Hrm... should I even bother attempting a knowledge check? :smallsigh:

I am correct to assume it's arcana, right?

Kelvin360
2014-03-15, 09:37 PM
I am correct to assume it's arcana, right?

The answer to this question is a direct affirmative. 10 freakin' characters, you guys, arrgh

WindStruck
2014-03-15, 10:28 PM
Oh well here' goes. [roll0]

But it's untrained. I'm almost tempted to just declare Adrexah knows nothing of that from skimming what you told aquila.

Kelvin360
2014-03-15, 10:44 PM
That surpasses your maximum DC for an untrained roll, so you know the highlights; a Liferent is basically a superpowerful and dangerous version of a Necromancer. That whole positive/negative energy thing is a bit beyond you, however.

AquilaRift
2014-03-16, 01:40 AM
Questions for the DM:
1. Is there a threshold of some kind? A point of no return? The more you use it, the more it must be used to avoid corruption. So can you stop using it if you've only used it a little, or will it progress inevitably from the first necromantic spell you cast?
2. What form does the corruption take? Physical decay/transfiguration or mental and moral contamination?

Kelvin360
2014-03-16, 11:09 AM
Questions for the DM:
1. Is there a threshold of some kind? A point of no return? The more you use it, the more it must be used to avoid corruption. So can you stop using it if you've only used it a little, or will it progress inevitably from the first necromantic spell you cast?
2. What form does the corruption take? Physical decay/transfiguration or mental and moral contamination?

1. Just being a Liferent is the point of no return. It's theoretically possible to cut one off from magic, but they would begin to wither almost immediately. That said, there is a balance for every part. A Liferent could, with discipline, elect to stay at a certain level of use, like an addict regimenting themselves to only a specific dose per day. This would stave off corruption, but could leave them wanting more, psychologically.

2. It's more akin to signs of 'witchery', really. Corruption rarely affects a Liferent's physical form, but typically manifests as excess bursts of negative energy. Weak life forces such as plants or small animals may die suddenly within a certain distance, or they may cause food to taste bitter, or they may be able to see spirits more easily.

Kelvin360
2014-03-17, 03:20 PM
Sense Motive checks anew for anyone interested.

WindStruck
2014-03-17, 05:51 PM
Eh, I don't think my character has reason to be suspicious of anything at the moment. But instead, how about an intuition check!

[roll0]

Do I need to state anything in particular. Well crap, I don't know.

Overall, do the mayor and baroness appear to be trying to do the right thing?

Is Elias's offer really such a good idea?

Who's line is it anyway?

Kelvin360
2014-03-17, 07:44 PM
It's fairly safe to say that they're somewhat less concerned with Davand's fate than that of those around him. That said, the Baroness is definitely taking this better than someone who had it sprung on them should. If anything, she seems in a slightly better mood than previously.

WindStruck
2014-03-17, 08:52 PM
Is the Baroness talking to everyone else or just Elias?

Better yet.... would Adrexah even be able to tell the difference? :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2014-03-17, 10:28 PM
Well, she mentioned him by name, so probably.

Fishies
2014-03-18, 01:02 AM
So the black eyes aren't a sign of Chaos Pox? Sorry, this is getting a bit hard to follow for me..

Kelvin360
2014-03-18, 04:52 PM
Essentially, if the Chaos Pox causes black eyes (which it can), the Poxed can be controlled much more easily by beings with a chaotic bent.

WindStruck
2014-03-19, 12:32 AM
Not going to say something right after Elias in this moment, but I feel I might want to bring an OOC point up...

the streets are paved with gold, right? Now, is that just an illusion or something? Frankly, I think if they are that short on resources, maybe they should put that gold to a better use and pave the streets with something more practical?

Kelvin360
2014-03-19, 12:45 AM
I'll not answer that one OOCly, but I will reply that if it is real gold, currency is useless if you have nothing to spend it on. If there's no trade, they can't buy so much as a magical hummingbird. If the streets were paved with sausage, it'd be a different story, but if traders are being waylaid and can't enter the town, there's nothing to buy.

Fortune's Favor is a fairly rich settlement even without the Yellow-Brick Road, so if they could buy anything, you can be sure they wouldn't be having issues like a food shortage. Not to mention that according to the veggie peddler a while back, they have bigger problems than just running low. Their resources are actively being sabotaged by something, possibly with the intent of starving out the residents.

WindStruck
2014-03-19, 03:02 PM
Yeah that's basic economics... though, I suppose that somehow, via sendings or other couriers that don't wander defenselessly through the woods, that gold could be promised to recruit guards and security+merchants.

Kelvin360
2014-03-19, 06:14 PM
That's very very true. However, taking the Realms logically leads to numerous problems of that like. For example, if there are a good half-dozen epic level, good-aligned primary spellcasters running amok, why is there crime, poverty, or hunger anywhere? As those questions haven't really been answered, I prefer to treat the FR economy as though, if magic does exist, no one uses it for that purpose.

WindStruck
2014-03-19, 06:49 PM
Well, if anything I was not trying to question all the strange things in D&D or your campaign setting for that matter. However... I was trying to provide other players some ideas for things to bring up. I mean, if my character wasn't blind and could see the streets for herself, she would probably bring that up at some point.

Anywho. :smalltongue:

WindStruck
2014-03-31, 02:30 PM
Hello everyone. Nice to see you all again. :smallsmile:

Kelvin360
2014-03-31, 08:13 PM
Indeed! The forum is so...shiny. Can't wait to put it through its paces. I'm going to have a neat little time re-organizing the Battle Map, though. :smalltongue:

- - - Updated - - -

All righty, the new Battle Map will stay in the first post of this OOC thread and will be updated at every combat interval (i.e. when it stops being any given PC cluster's turn). The status order will be in the same post as each interval, as per usual.

Thus, if a PC attacks a goblin, misses, and it becomes the goblin's turn, the status table will be posted with the goblin's actions, and the battle map will be updated around the same time.

MLucas
2014-04-01, 02:30 AM
Yay! I can get back to lurking. (Orin doesn't have anything to add atm)

WindStruck
2014-04-01, 05:44 PM
Heya!

I wasn't sure if Orin (or anyone else for that matter) would have had something to add... that idea was pitched mainly toward the mayor and baroness, though if someone had other suggestions they're more than welcome.....

WindStruck
2014-04-04, 05:13 PM
Sooo... not to be pushy, but is anyone else planning on saying anything? :smallconfused:

It helps to know if you're just waiting or if maybe there simply hasn't been any time...

AquilaRift
2014-04-04, 08:11 PM
Had a lot of stuff going on lately, but as it's Friday night I should be able to get an IC post up soon.

Here's a question: will we treat the upcoming three days as mostly downtime? Elias isn't going to want to leave town until he's resolved things with Davand for the time -- that's why he got involved in this whole kerfuffle, after all. And I don't know the travel time to the next major trading post, but three days would be awfully short to pull off Adrexah's ruse and snare the bandits.

Kelvin360
2014-04-04, 09:54 PM
If that's what the party goes for, that's more than likely.

WindStruck
2014-04-05, 01:29 AM
Yeah, just wondering.. how far is the next town/trading area to the south? That was Adrexah's preference anyway, as the druids are in that area (will check back with stable guy at some point) and also that's where the missing caravan needed to be investigated.

But then again, I do not think a trip along the road to find such evidence or a trip to the druid grove itself should take too long...

AquilaRift
2014-04-05, 02:16 AM
I agree, that would be useful to know. Knowledge (local) roll if necessary: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-04-05, 02:39 AM
The South heads along the road about ninety miles, give or take, at which point the landscape is under control of Waterdeep. About a good third of that passes directly by the forest.

WindStruck
2014-04-05, 03:55 AM
Er... 90 miles huh? And that's saying nothing of settlements, just that it's under control of Waterdeep? That does seem a bit far... unless that's just my terrible sense of distance in a modern world. So there's no other significant settlement, even if you deviate along the road after a while?

Do you want geography or local rolls from me as well? Though keep in mind, I'm pretty sure both Adrexah and Eubert came from the south...ish...

Kelvin360
2014-04-05, 01:58 PM
The southeast, if I recall correctly. This is just if you stick to the road. West Harbor to the east is technically closer, but you have to go around the Sword Mountains to get to it. 90 miles would be just shy of a day and a half of travel, which isn't a significant distance. It's a bigger distance if you want to get from Sacramento to the Pacific Shore, if I recall correctly.

Kelvin360
2014-04-09, 01:18 AM
Oh, hey, so, funny thing: Knowledge (arcana) checks.

AquilaRift
2014-04-09, 01:21 AM
[roll0] Blah blah character limit.

Kelvin360
2014-04-09, 01:26 AM
It's a fair bet that, with the magic these people are apparently capable of pulling off, they can mask or mess about with any of the senses.

It strikes you that whatever magic caused Chino's sense of smell to go haywire back during your confrontation may not have been limited to the properties of the house.

WindStruck
2014-04-09, 02:26 AM
Wait... what? So you just wanted to throw that little tidbit out there that tracking by smell might not work either? Hmm...

Edit: this calls for someone to research the spell... Truesniffing!

WindStruck
2014-04-12, 01:22 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1759319/konata-poke-o.gif

AquilaRift
2014-04-12, 06:59 PM
I don't understand the meaning of this .gif. :smallconfused:

WindStruck
2014-04-12, 07:07 PM
Oh, that was just a little girl from an anime. POKING YOU. :smalltongue:

MLucas
2014-04-18, 11:38 AM
I'm on holiday for a week and wont have internet access.