PDA

View Full Version : Fortune's Favor (OOC)



Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

WindStruck
2014-04-18, 07:59 PM
Ugh, there goes the only other semi-active person. :smallsigh: Have fun.

The only thing I could think of to add involves that prophecy that Aral spoke of... if Elias was thorough, he should have already mentioned it, at which point I might have said something about it. Though doesn't seem to be too much significant... only that the Chord could be either an ally or an enemy.

AquilaRift
2014-04-18, 08:18 PM
that prophecy that Aral spoke of... if Elias was thorough, he should have already mentioned it

Key word: Aral. Elias is only barely aware of Aral's existence. He can't access your psychic conversations. Unless it's a prophecy that someone else brought up at another time, Elias wouldn't have mentioned it because he doesn't know about it.

WindStruck
2014-04-18, 10:57 PM
Maybe you misunderstand.. because it was a conversation with only aral, that's why I'd want to bring it up. Are you forgetting what Chartessa said about a scale and a chord, hmm? Everyone should know about that except for Adrexah, Eubert, and the Baroness... unless the mayor already spoke with her.

AquilaRift
2014-04-18, 11:43 PM
Hm. If I understand you correctly now, the prophecy mentioned the Chord, right? I don't think Elias would have brought up "call on the chord and watch for the scale" -- as the Mayor already knows Chartessa said that, and Elias assumes that the Mayor would have told the Baroness if it was as important as the Mayor seemed to think.

WindStruck
2014-04-19, 01:12 AM
I don't think Adrexah is thinking of it at the moment. Or even would think it relates to the Baroness...

Oh well, that couldn't possibly hurt anything, right? Riiight? :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2014-04-21, 09:38 PM
Fishies, are you still around? Elias has the ghost of a plan that concerns Eubert.

Kelvin360
2014-04-22, 11:41 PM
I'm going to drop an executive bomb here soon that I hate doing, but I'll send a call-out first. I know MLucas is on vacation, but I'd appreciate a notice, even minor, from Malak'ai and Fishies as well. I haven't heard from either of you in a while.

WindStruck
2014-04-23, 02:58 AM
Executive bomb simply means... sending PMs, right? What's so bad about that? :smallconfused:

Kelvin360
2014-04-23, 06:58 PM
It usually feels too insistent for me. In my case, it's less like a gentle finger tap and more like hitting someone with a sharp stick. It's not how I come off, just how I feel I do. Personal preference.

WindStruck
2014-04-23, 10:31 PM
Well, I think if you have a little more tact than this guy...

https://i.imgflip.com/8cajp.jpg

...you'll be fine. :smallbiggrin:

Fishies
2014-04-25, 04:36 AM
Uhhh sorry. I'm still alive. Finals season right now. I'll try to catch up but no guarantee I can post until after two weeks.

WindStruck
2014-04-27, 05:54 PM
So.. not much participation in the conversation by some, but I guess that's the way of pbp. :/

Will we wait any?

MLucas
2014-04-28, 04:55 AM
I'm back.
I'll catch up and try to post this evening.

AquilaRift
2014-04-29, 06:39 PM
Sorry about my recent silence. Papers to write. Will try to post in next few days.

WindStruck
2014-05-03, 01:27 AM
Plot Twist: The "real" Santino was somehow switched with the mute clone?! :smalleek:

hehe... maybe... perhaps a slightly less defective clone that walks about but still doesn't talk. :smallwink:

Edit: Oh, also.. I didn't see anywhere in Elias's summary about having lived here and actually moved into the house, though the house was mentioned... did I miss that somewhere? :smallconfused:

AquilaRift
2014-05-03, 02:12 AM
I made the assumption that I'd covered the deed transfer at some point, but I guess I didn't say it in the actual summary post. My mistake, I suppose, and everyone knows now in any case.

Kelvin360
2014-05-03, 02:28 AM
The real question is how many people know a chronically-depressed ghost is waiting for them inside.

In regards to Santino, there's an easy, open-ended out that would allow Malak to return at a later date if he so desires. The return in question operates on the Han Solo principle.

AquilaRift
2014-05-03, 02:51 AM
I see what you're getting at. Given how creepy and dangerous the state of affairs in Fortune's Favor has gotten, why would our friendly thief bother to stay? He's got his money. (And if he wants to return, he can have a pang of conscience for his abandoned friends...)

WindStruck
2014-05-03, 02:38 PM
I think that would work... he gets the hell out of there with his money... and then maybe if we're lucky guilt brings him back.

On another side note... I wonder, if no one mentions anything about the ghost, how long do you think it would take Adrexah to realize that? Would the lack of sounds normally made by breathing and walking give it away?

Kelvin360
2014-05-03, 03:32 PM
Most likely. That is, if she doesn't just tell you right away.

AquilaRift
2014-05-06, 01:41 AM
I'm losing track of geography. How far are the stables from where we are now?

Kelvin360
2014-05-06, 06:23 PM
Assuming you're in the city core still, they're right outside the main gates. It's not a terribly long walk.

WindStruck
2014-05-07, 05:30 PM
Yeah I figured we'd be walking near them again anyway.

AquilaRift
2014-05-07, 06:10 PM
Will try to have IC up soon -- finals! :smalleek:

Fishies
2014-05-09, 01:33 AM
I'm back! And... damn, I don't even remember what was happening in this game. I should write notes or something. Will try to catch up soon.

WindStruck
2014-05-09, 09:19 PM
Hey, welcome! Wouldn't say there's too much to read up on. We just like barely got any information at all and threw around some speculations.

WindStruck
2014-05-12, 05:13 PM
Doh! I forgot, I wanted to sense motive that guy again. What? He's suspicious as hell!! I mean is it just me or is he almost hinting that the grove is behind this? lol

sense motive: [roll0]

WindStruck
2014-05-12, 08:58 PM
Since Eraven mentioned the cycle, it seems to touch on the Fey stuff we talked about before... hmm, how much about that would Adrexah know? Let's see!

knowledge (nature): [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-05-12, 09:33 PM
They aren't altogether different. Druids and the fey have similar views on the natural world, though one group obviously has a choice in the matter of living in harmony with those forces. When a druid mentions a cycle, however, it's less likely that they refer to The Cycle and more likely that they are using another term for The Balance, or the druidic ideal that everything exists in a state of equilibrium with everything else, and that the world is self-correcting. The main difference is that The Balance is entirely ineffable, and druids may tamper with it using their talents without ever fully disrupting it, while fey are naturally terrified of doing the same and suffering a comeuppance.

WindStruck
2014-05-14, 01:10 AM
And farewell, for now, Santino......

AquilaRift
2014-05-14, 01:22 AM
Exams still being unmentionable, but I'll have a response up Thursday.

Fishies
2014-05-14, 04:33 AM
Do you guys think it's possible that the Chartessa that is changed from her old self could be a clone?

WindStruck
2014-05-14, 02:06 PM
Now that you mention it.... at this rate, anything is possible. xD

Fishies
2014-05-14, 10:22 PM
then they switch back to get the original killed in the execution...

WindStruck
2014-05-15, 12:56 AM
then they switch back to get the original killed in the execution...

Now that doesn't quite make sense... considering the Chartessa I know of (OOC) has still be quite spiteful and biggoted. Unless you mean that they'd switch out the real Chartessa at the last minute before the execution?

Still, remember being in the basement and something was mentioned about there can't really be one double of a person existing in the first place? The original Chartessa may very well be gone.

...speaking of which, a really good question we should have probably asked was just how exactly Chartessa lost her powers in the first place, and if maybe something bad happened if she did something to try to get them back.

Also, I'm not sure how to respond to Santino leaving IC...

Addition: I mean, I'd most likely say something to maybe taunt or encourage him into staying. But... since it looks like he'll be gone no matter what, I'd only be making Kelvin's job harder...

AquilaRift
2014-05-15, 02:19 PM
Well, since you've known him an even shorter time than Orin and Elias have, I don't think you're obligated by your character to argue with him for too long.

Out of the original party of five, we're down to MLucas and me...

WindStruck
2014-05-20, 10:13 PM
So uh... is this the part where we get a sad montage and then arrive at the house looking like drowned rats and the ghost girl immediately ruins the mood with a plate of cookies?

Kelvin360
2014-05-20, 11:48 PM
Actually, Denara did not learn how to bake cookies. Everything else is about accurate, though. Scene-skip time.

AquilaRift
2014-05-21, 11:43 PM
At this point, Elias's first action tomorrow will be using read magic to identify the two still-mysterious scrolls he found in Chartessa's chest of drawers. Any evocation or necromancy spells he will sell to That Gnome -- the already-identified darkness is slated for this fate -- and purchase inks and reagents suitable for scribing. I want to pull arcane lock out of Chartessa's abjuration book at the very least, to improve security around the house; resist energy is next on my list, if the scrolls are valuable enough to raise enough money.

WindStruck
2014-05-22, 02:45 AM
Adrexah is going to show him the plant too... see if he can do anything with that?

AquilaRift
2014-05-22, 02:52 AM
With no Knowledge (nature) ranks, the best he could probably do is run a detect magic on it, which doesn't provide a whole lot of useful information if there's no active spell effect. It's worth a try though -- with three days of presumed downtime, he won't lack spell slots.

WindStruck
2014-05-22, 04:42 PM
Well, there's a high probability that the blight is nothing natural at all and is, in fact, magic in origin...

AquilaRift
2014-05-25, 08:54 PM
How do you plan on handling downtime, Kelvin? I'm assuming we won't RP through every event of the next three days directly, but I don't know how much you want to narrate or skip.

Kelvin360
2014-05-25, 09:45 PM
I assume I'll be managing Adrexah's jaunt fairly constantly, since I think she means to explore the forest. Other than that, not sure. Elias is scribing and everyone is just hanging about, yes?

AquilaRift
2014-05-25, 11:45 PM
As far as I know. (I'm probably going to do a little Davand-proofing as well, but I've removed the dangerous books I know of to the safe already, yes?)

Kelvin360
2014-05-26, 12:41 AM
You have indeed. This all leaves the question of whether Eubert and Orin really are spending three solid days napping and twiddling their thumbs.

WindStruck
2014-05-26, 03:35 AM
I'd still really like Elias to take a look at that plant early tomorrow so Adrexah can leave without too much time crunch. Also... anyone else is welcome to come with her to the grove.

MLucas
2014-05-26, 04:12 AM
Orin will go with. He's not really the sit around and do nothing type - which isn't great for a monk.

AquilaRift
2014-05-26, 10:43 AM
OK, I'll prep detect magic tomorrow. I don't need many of my slots anyway, just one for read magic.

MLucas
2014-05-26, 12:04 PM
Shouldnt discussions like this be ic?
:)

(although i do remember many non-ic discussions in my face to face games)

AquilaRift
2014-05-27, 01:42 AM
Maybe -- but I think if we're going to fast-forward through certain chunks of time in the next three days, we can assume conversations took place "off screen."
This is ultimately up to Kelvin's ruling, though. If we need to keep a hard line between OOC and IC (there are many valid reasons to do so, after all), I'll respect that.

Kelvin360
2014-05-27, 01:50 AM
I'm going to say let's wrap up this IC day with IC planning. We can begin the next day in medias res with a description of where everyone is and what they're doing when the afternoon comes around; I doubt this interval will be strenuous, but I will try and give everyone something to do so there's no one twiddling their thumbs.

WindStruck
2014-05-28, 07:15 PM
I guess for now Adrexah will eat, try to make up being an idiot to Denara, hopefully take a bath, and have a good night's sleep.

Tomorrow morning is when Adrexah wants to try tracking Geoff... assuming it's not too rainy. Probably after breakfast. She'd want to leave for the grove either right after lunch (if there is one) or sometime late morning if there isn't.

AquilaRift
2014-05-31, 12:52 AM
If you want a bath, you'll have to haul the water from the fountain -- no indoor plumbing in this otherwise luxurious house, sadly. Elias has been relying on prestidigitation.

I don't think we found a bathtub, either -- which begs the question of what Chartessa was relying on when she gave up her magic... I suppose it's only gross by our standards. In a lot of medieval Europe, bathing even once a week was considered swanky.

AquilaRift
2014-06-02, 11:48 PM
You waiting on us, Kelvin, or are we waiting on you?

Kelvin360
2014-06-02, 11:57 PM
I think we're collectively waiting to see if the other half of the party has anything to add. If not, we can just skip to the morning. That said, I'd prefer said skip be a player initiative - it's you lot who are deciding what you are doing when you awaken, after all.

AquilaRift
2014-06-03, 12:24 AM
OK, that sounds reasonable. I'll give MLucas and Fishies a bit longer.

WindStruck
2014-06-03, 12:33 AM
Suppose I can wait more... :smallsigh:

MLucas
2014-06-03, 03:25 AM
Sorry, I didn't have anything to add - was waiting for time to progress.

WindStruck
2014-06-05, 09:04 PM
Always torn between adding some comment or letting the conversation die. We done for now? Denara coming back at all? :smallbiggrin:

AquilaRift
2014-06-06, 02:03 AM
We've probably done what's important for tonight. If no one has anything further to add, I'll move along to next morning in my next IC post.

WindStruck
2014-06-09, 06:53 PM
Erm, right, ok... shall we?

AquilaRift
2014-06-09, 08:41 PM
Got working on an IC post today but got distracted. I'll have it up tonight.

WindStruck
2014-06-09, 11:14 PM
Crap, I forgot about Thorard... I suppose he hadn't really been around the other much yet?

Kelvin360
2014-06-09, 11:17 PM
If at all, correct.

WindStruck
2014-06-14, 07:38 PM
Edit to the post! And uh... now what? :smallbiggrin:

WindStruck
2014-06-19, 08:58 PM
Is Fishies around? And is our conversation done?

Perhaps we can eat some fruit and stuff then before going out...

Kelvin360
2014-06-19, 11:03 PM
Good question! Where's our paladin at?

MLucas
2014-06-20, 01:33 AM
Btw - do I need to RP or mention everytime Orin gets his psionic focus back? (It's a full round, DC20 action - presumably out of battle he takes 20).

I assume he'll regain it any time he meditates (or the party rests).
I can mention it everytime if needed (esp if after using it before a rest period).

(Oh, And he now has his focus).

Kelvin360
2014-06-20, 05:18 PM
Well ordinarily I could give a more solid ruling by looking at your character sheet, but you haven't updated it since everyone leveled up, or so it appears. In any case, taking 20 usually requires several free minutes, so I'll rule that it takes, eh, five or so, and you need to be in a peaceful area. You have your psionic focus until you expend it, though. Otherwise, I heavily advise you put some ranks in Concentration - especially at later levels, being able to set up the PF in the middle of combat is invaluable. And that's not even touching Psionic Meditation, which should be a drop in the bucket as you get quite a few benefits from Wisdom anyway.

In all, I'll say no, you don't need to explicitly say that Orin is taking five to meditate every time, necessarily, you just need to note that that's mechanically what you're doing.

MLucas
2014-06-21, 12:05 AM
Ah sorry about that - i thought i'd sent my new sheet.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=711318

I definitely plan on upping concentration :)

Kelvin360
2014-06-21, 12:55 AM
Gotcha. I updated the list in this thread's OP. Also, looks like you have 6 unspent skill points. I assume you're saving them?

MLucas
2014-06-21, 12:59 AM
Not intentionally. I'll have a look sometime this weekend.

MLucas
2014-06-26, 03:46 AM
So what are we waiting on?

WindStruck
2014-06-26, 04:15 PM
I am not sure... though kelvin has been out of town for a few days I think.

When he gets back, should we skip to after breakfast and begin the hunt?

Kelvin360
2014-06-26, 05:09 PM
Yes; yes we should. So, refresh my memory. Everyone is going to make an attempt to follow the trail, yes? This includes the assumption that we still have access to a paladin PC.

WindStruck
2014-06-26, 08:36 PM
Why do we need Eubert to follow a trail? Detect evil maybe? It could help.

But my basic idea was: we try seeing if Chino (and maybe Thorard too) can sniff the blood and start picking up a trail. Starting where? Why, at various locations! Our front doorstep, the fountain, the house we got ambushed in, the tavern, the mayor's office, the blacksmith, any point of interest, we could probably attempt to sniff out a trail... right?

AquilaRift
2014-06-27, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I'm coming along -- we ought to have more luck capturing him if we run across him, now that I'm topped up on spells.

Kelvin360
2014-06-27, 09:10 PM
Why do we need Eubert to follow a trail? Detect evil maybe? It could help.

He could try it, but this is more a matter of keeping the party together. He wouldn't have much in the way of secondary objectives while everyone else is out doing this.

WindStruck
2014-07-01, 03:40 PM
Is it time to send out a carpet bomb of emails again? :smalltongue:

Well maybe that's a bit inaccurate if it's only to one person.

Kelvin360
2014-07-03, 11:27 PM
Yeeeaaahh, I'm getting no response. I'll NPC him and keep him in the house for the duration of this venture...after that, I don't know. Paladinhood complicates things a bit past the out I gave Santino.

WindStruck
2014-07-04, 01:00 AM
Hmm... I suppose a small troupe of other holy warriors, paladins, crusaders, or whatever you want to call them (probably clerics too) could come through town, see him, and request his aide for a situation that's just as important, if not more dangerous. And I mean that way, he could at least have direct orders from a holy order? I dunno.

My how these NPCs seem to pile up...

Btw, who said Excelsior? ...was that Al Gore? :smallconfused:

Kelvin360
2014-07-04, 01:55 AM
Hmm... I suppose a small troupe of other holy warriors, paladins, crusaders, or whatever you want to call them (probably clerics too) could come through town, see him, and request his aide for a situation that's just as important, if not more dangerous. And I mean that way, he could at least have direct orders from a holy order? I dunno.

My how these NPCs seem to pile up...

Or, y'know, I could be really evil and send someone to kidnap him while the cats are away.


Btw, who said Excelsior? ...was that Al Gore? :smallconfused:

Stan Lee. He gets a cameo in almost every movie, I figured he might as well get a hurrah at his games.

WindStruck
2014-07-04, 02:47 AM
Yes that would be pretty evil. I would imagine everyone's leaving with the 2 dogs, and the only one in the house would be Denara...

And then they could make an evil clone of him too! Oh God I can see it now... all the cheesy names we'd call him. Like Twinburt or something. LOL

BUT, I think if you are planning on doing that, there would be nasty ramification... basically, I don't think anyone would be safe anywhere, and so long as there's a need to sleep it's only a matter of time before the entire group wakes up dead.

AquilaRift
2014-07-05, 08:44 PM
It would ratchet Elias's paranoia up to undreamt-of levels, for one thing.

WindStruck
2014-07-08, 08:31 PM
Ok, do you want an itinerary of places we stop by first or will we just try one place at a time rolling survival rolls for the two dogs?

...Adrexah still needs to say hi to Thorard too.

Kelvin360
2014-07-08, 08:37 PM
Ugh, sorry guys, I've been out of it today. I'll deal with Eubert's Houdini trick later. Writing up searched locations is most expedient. Also I'd as soon skip past the character introduction. I'll report your findings when I have the list. Hopefully by tomorrow my brain will actually function.

WindStruck
2014-07-09, 06:59 AM
I think we'll start at the doorstep to this house just for completeness. And I mean why not, since we're there. Then if nothing turns up, go to the following places until something does: front door of the house we were ambushed in, the blacksmith, the fountain, the tavern, the mayor's office/jail, the stables, the gates to the keep.

And if nothing turns up then, well I dunno, either the guy just hasn't been around after the rain thoroughly soaked everything, or it's uber magic power blocking it, or... I'm a tard thinking dried blood from the other day would work. But who knows!

Kelvin360
2014-07-09, 04:51 PM
Gotcha. I'll cover Thor's checks. Mind rolling 7 Survival checks for Chino?

WindStruck
2014-07-09, 06:11 PM
Um... what is his mod? Am I using something straight from what you find in the bestiary for a normal wolf?

Kelvin360
2014-07-09, 07:18 PM
Yup. He's tracking by scent, so his mod is +5. I'll up it to +7, under the assumption that Adrexah can/is using Aid Another actions after long years of practicing this task in tandem.

WindStruck
2014-07-09, 07:43 PM
Ok... here it goes!

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

You can roll yourself if you want next time. Though I do like seeing the rolls so I know what's going on.

WindStruck
2014-07-09, 10:24 PM
Wow that's a lot of information and loose ends... I'm really not sure what to do with it. xD

AquilaRift
2014-07-10, 01:19 AM
Nor am I. It'll take me a little re-reading to correlate all this stuff.

WindStruck
2014-07-10, 04:51 PM
The one thing I can deduce to start off from is that we'll be taking control at the gates. How about a summary and possible conclusions by someone? Either Adrexah could or Elias can start, your choice.

AquilaRift
2014-07-12, 01:44 AM
Can we distinguish, from the dogs' reactions, which scents match the blood that Adrexah showed them?

Kelvin360
2014-07-12, 02:12 PM
Just the trail at the lair.

WindStruck
2014-07-12, 09:55 PM
Erm... you know, the whole point of visiting these places was to let the dogs smell the sample blood, then see if they can track it.

Why are they going wild and following strange scents they weren't asked to follow?

Kelvin360
2014-07-12, 11:48 PM
I just assumed the party would be interested in anomalies, considering that everyone's mentioned multiple times you're dealing with a magician who could have used illusions to mask or cover his scent. Chino may not be able to extrapolate, but Thorard has no reason not to let everyone know that there's something that might be strange.

WindStruck
2014-07-13, 12:31 AM
Ok... by the way, there is something I came across several weeks ago, while looking through first level spells. I believe I have come across a spell that would explain the black eye color. Uh... is it ok if I divulge this information, Kelvin?

OOCLY of course :smallsmile:

Kelvin360
2014-07-13, 02:17 AM
Since it's a spell, I'm thinking the friendly neighborhood wizard could roll for it, see if that spins anything for IC leads as well.

WindStruck
2014-07-13, 02:23 AM
Uh ok...? Here it goes.

Ebon Eyes

WindStruck
2014-07-16, 05:02 PM
Would Elias like to weigh in or should I continue with the interrogation?

AquilaRift
2014-07-17, 03:09 AM
Continue. Some personal stuff has gotten in the way the last few days, and I'm not sure Elias has much to contribute to the dog conversation anyway.

I'll roll for Ebon Eyes, but I think it's more likely to be Chaos Pox as the Baroness surmised.

AquilaRift
2014-07-17, 03:12 AM
Spellcraft: [roll0]

WindStruck
2014-07-18, 06:47 PM
Yes, let's go there and do what we should have done last night! :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2014-07-25, 08:09 PM
Is this something Elias ought to remember, or did Samnang only speak to Adrexah and Eubert of his latest mission?

WindStruck
2014-07-25, 08:13 PM
I don't remember what Samnang was doing. As far as I can tell, he only said he had some business or some other to take care of and never went into detail...

Edit: I checked the previous thread again, and nope, samnang didn't give me any details. Which either indicates a GM error, Samnang being terribly senile, or now we have a doppleganger of Adrexah...

Kelvin360
2014-07-25, 11:59 PM
After carefully perusing the previous thread; yep! This is a DM snafu. There was supposed to be a mention that Samnang was being assigned the task of investigating the town's magic users for connections to Chartessa and her associates. I think it was in a post I composed but never put down. However, it would have happened after your meeting with the Baroness, rendering your worries moot, so I'll adjust his comment and we can proceed normally.

WindStruck
2014-07-26, 12:15 AM
Edited the response as well now. :smallwink:

AquilaRift
2014-07-26, 12:25 AM
No sweat. It happens to the best of us. Frankly, I'm impressed you've kept the plotline internally consistent for almost three two years now...

EDIT: Whoops!

WindStruck
2014-08-12, 08:04 PM
Can't really think of anything to say or do. Please continue~

AquilaRift
2014-08-12, 10:30 PM
If I've interpreted Dak correctly, the inkwell contains 600 gp worth of rare ink suitable for scribing scrolls -- is that correct?

Also: I've had my mind on other things for the last month and though I've kept up my posting, I've rather lost the current thread of the plot. Adrexah and Orin are planning to visit the grove while Elias copies new spells into his book, correct? And that's a separate mission from finding the bandits? Because Elias promised to assist Adrexah with tracking the bandits in exchange for her and Eubert's help with the Geoff&Ovann problem. Ideally, we do that after Chartessa's execution.

Kelvin360
2014-08-12, 10:42 PM
Right as rain on all counts!

AquilaRift
2014-08-12, 10:55 PM
All right then! That gives me enough ink to scribe 3 2nd-level spells, but I don't think I need 3. At the moment, I'm limited to abjurations. Resist energy is supremely useful; arcane lock is less so, given its situational use and the material component (though not as costly as some), but Elias probably already has some doors in mind that he wants to make sure no one else opens. Obscure object, though, is kind of useless. The entire third floor of the Murals estate is surrounded by far more powerful abjurations -- if we need to hide something from scrying we can just put it there. I suppose I could grab alarm and endure elements (whoops, already got that one!) from the 1st-level list, for exploring hostile environments, or just save the rest of the ink for later.

Kelvin360
2014-08-13, 03:40 AM
For the record, remember Winds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?59328-Winds) from the thread where we recruited...was it the first or second time? I seem to recall Moli/Celes being a different group than Eubert/Adrexah. But I digress. I'm thinking of tossing them an invite to solve our rogue crisis and give us an even 4-man group, since Fishies seems to have, ah, vacated.

Winds
2014-08-14, 04:36 PM
I am happy to do this thing. Rolls, since I don't have the original character sheet:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]


I am somewhat busy tonight, but I should have all or most details worked out by tomorrow late afternoon.

WindStruck
2014-08-14, 07:48 PM
Aw man, what are you going to call me then? :smallbiggrin:

You: winds

Me.... WS??

Winds
2014-08-14, 08:01 PM
As a compromise, neither of us goes by 'Winds'. So...You're Tuck, and I'm Blank.


This is perfectly logical, and will almost certainly cause no trouble for anyone. Probably.

WindStruck
2014-08-14, 09:46 PM
If Fishies/Eubert is going, I'd rather he be called on a very important and specific (ie no wild goosechases) mission. Hmm....

Kelvin360
2014-08-14, 10:43 PM
He already has the connection to that reformed bandit. It's not unlikely that the same repentant sinner will call him out to do more of the same good work...far, far away.

Winds
2014-08-15, 10:23 AM
Lea (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=988243) is ready. If you want more in the description or personality boxes, I can add more.

Gear Purchases:

Start-3000g
Mwork Hand Crossbow-400
50 bolts-5
Mwork Dagger-302
+1 Studded Leather-1175
Mwork Thieve's Tools-100
Backpack-2
Cloak of Resistance-1000


Remainder (lost): 13 g


Rolls for second and third level HP:

2: [roll0]
3: [roll1]

WindStruck
2014-08-15, 05:39 PM
You know, I'm really starting to think that the "come to town with no money/currency" idea is a bad one. It puts everyone at a bad disadvantage and a tough spot. Can't afford stables (at least we were lucky enough that the druid guy there doesn't charge), can't afford food and drink, can't afford lodging, can't afford to bribe so-and-so for a bit of information....

Kelvin360
2014-08-15, 05:57 PM
And yet, that was the selling point of the campaign, if you recall. Starting anew is never easy, and the challenge is only exacerbated by the adventuring lifestyle. It's a stylistic decision that I may abandon if it turns out we need new players at level 17 or something.

Winds
2014-08-15, 06:36 PM
Also, there are very few classes that are lastingly harmed by a lack of liquid currency, and there are all kinds of ways an adventurer could lose theirs.

WindStruck
2014-08-16, 05:27 AM
If you want to go to the house now, I'm all for it. I initially was going to recall exactly what Adrexah heard too, but it quickly fell out of context.

Kelvin360
2014-08-16, 03:16 PM
Samnang's out of conversational ammo, so feel free to skip directly to the house whenever you like.

AquilaRift
2014-08-17, 09:50 PM
You know, Orin and Adrexah might be able to cover ground faster without Elias, since they've both got move speed 40. That works out better than I expected.

...also, I didn't notice that you put up character sheets for our allied NPCs (Bria, Denara, Thorard) until now. Useful reference.

Kelvin360
2014-08-17, 10:10 PM
I had them lying around for a while, it just struck me recently that you might like to know what you're dealing with. Some details are spoilers, of course, but I'm not choked up about those.

WindStruck
2014-08-17, 11:14 PM
Adrexah's move speed may be 40, but because she's blind (with an appropriate feat to help mitigate it) speed is reduced by 3/4 and it's back down to 30. Then again, she DOES have a horse... :smallamused:

AquilaRift
2014-08-17, 11:17 PM
I see. Maybe Orin should buy a horse. He's still got a good amount of cash.

Kelvin360
2014-08-17, 11:25 PM
That reminds me. If you guys are still packing gains from the Basement fight, you have 1161.9 gold pieces worth of loot, plus 300 base coin. Also 220 more gold and armor worth another 175 in that cranny down in the Murals cellar.

You may want to consider squeezing in a separate shop run to the itinerary, is what I'm saying.

MLucas
2014-08-18, 01:31 AM
I think Orin only has a movement speed of 30 (Didnt take 3rd level Monk)

AquilaRift
2014-08-18, 01:59 AM
I've forgotten who picked up the loot in each place -- I think we might have glossed over it. Since the road-trip crew is hurrying to depart, I think we ought to split up the coin now, so that Orin and Adrexah have traveling funds. I'll sell the loot while you're at the grove, and we'll split the profit from that when you get back. Acceptable?

MLucas
2014-08-18, 02:06 AM
Sounds good.
We did have one of the departed characters carrying a stack of armour and weapons about town at one point - but I couldnt find it in the history.
(It was the first time we went into the city).

AquilaRift
2014-08-18, 02:16 AM
Yeah, that was Molikixen, but BassWalker left well before the cellar fight.

Maybe I should start being the party banker after this. Elias has been a little squeamish about looting corpses in the past, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he became more ruthless after that vision. We need resources to stop K'zz'aham, after all. (And he's already started squirreling things away in Chartessa's safe room.)

WindStruck
2014-08-18, 10:12 AM
Honestly, I can't say Adrexah has cared much about looting bodies and stuff either... suppose that isn't "good" behavior for your traditional d&d game where almost everything revolves around equipment and magic items.

Well, could be worse. We could be acting like a bunch of murderhobos and insist on splitting everything the party finds equally down to the last copper....

WindStruck
2014-08-21, 07:16 PM
Figured I'd wait for more people to speak, but okay.

There's only Orin with me. And MLucas doesn't seem to get on that often....

Winds
2014-08-21, 08:26 PM
*shrug* Just seems polite to give a little more time, is all.

MLucas
2014-08-21, 11:31 PM
I'm on several times a day, I just usually cant think of anything to do. I should just make Orin interact more with you guys, rather than be bothered he doesnt do anything meaningful.

WindStruck
2014-08-23, 12:39 PM
Ahem. Hope you're not waiting for me. I've already responded, and you've been directly addressed.

MLucas
2014-08-23, 02:39 PM
Nope, I've been out all day.

WindStruck
2014-08-23, 05:19 PM
Hmm, I don't think Adrexah has heard of Hal, right? But then again, I am pretty sure Orin has...

Anyway, I'm thinking Adrexah should be very reluctant to letting a stranger come along with them. I'd hate to give you nothing to do the whole time, but it is harder to rationalize...

MLucas
2014-08-23, 05:26 PM
Orin has, but hopes the spells being cast will give an answer without going back to the prison. (Hal's still there, right?)
He's not giving away too much, I hope - just what could be gleaned from outside the group.

Kelvin360
2014-08-23, 06:56 PM
(Hal's still there, right?)

Yeah. I believe Elias' exact words were 'deal with him as you deal with any captured bandit'. Which, now that I think about it, is I think the only instance where you guys haven't jumped at the chance to interrogate an imprisoned person. You grilled Chartessa what, three times? :smalltongue:

AquilaRift
2014-08-23, 09:22 PM
Elias has had other things on his mind than bandits, in my defense :smallbiggrin:

Winds
2014-08-23, 09:25 PM
An adventurer that thinks of something other than bandits? WHAT IS THIS HERESY

Kelvin360
2014-08-23, 09:31 PM
In his defense, I have been throwing cultists at you guys like they're going out of style. I almost can't wait until you manage to actually accrue some enemies.

In case you're wondering whether the implication there is that this is only the tip of the iceberg yes. Yes it is. :smallbiggrin:

WindStruck
2014-08-25, 09:36 PM
I think when we get to the druid grove, it's going to be like that one South Park episode with PETA. :smallbiggrin:

AquilaRift
2014-08-25, 10:10 PM
This hasn't come up for me IC, since Elias probably won't meet Lea until the party returns for Chartessa's trial, but is Lea visibly half-drow? If so, how does that affect how people react to her? Drow aren't popular in this part of the world, and half-drow aren't common outside the Shining South (if I recall my FR lore correctly).

WindStruck
2014-08-31, 09:01 PM
Hey guys. Do you think this druid guy managing the stables for free happens to awaken every animal he comes across? :smallbiggrin:

Or... you don't really think the horses are thinking that, do you?

Kelvin360
2014-08-31, 09:40 PM
Considering all the suspicion that is (or should be) revolving around Aral right now, that's actually a really good question for Orin to ask. I will note that as a rule, I'm going with the logic that (especially in a fantasy setting) sentience is not necessarily a prerequisite for emotion or personality, as pet owners can attest, even if most of it is the natural anthropomorphizing that humans are so good at.

WindStruck
2014-08-31, 10:35 PM
Well it's not just "emotion" and "personality" that I'm seeing here. It seems quite evident that it is more than that, as the messages purportedly being portrayed are very precise meanings...

Winds
2014-08-31, 10:51 PM
Well...that could just mean Aral (whoever or whatever it is, I'm intrigued) is a good translator.

Belated: Yes, Lea is notably half-drow, and from what I recall of FR lore in generally, 'civilized' societies distrust them nearly as much as drow fullbloods. 'From what I recall' is, of course, not as accurate to the setting as 'So sayeth the DM', but still.

Kelvin360
2014-08-31, 11:04 PM
Well it's not just "emotion" and "personality" that I'm seeing here. It seems quite evident that it is more than that, as the messages purportedly being portrayed are very precise meanings...

Mind that anything Eravan translates is exact because druid magic is rather especially geared towards that sort of thing. Also, even given just what little you know about the guy, it's pretty unlikely he'd pass up even the small opportunity to preach about the evils of society, regardless of whether the horse actually goes on a tangent.


Belated: Yes, Lea is notably half-drow, and from what I recall of FR lore in generally, 'civilized' societies distrust them nearly as much as drow fullbloods. 'From what I recall' is, of course, not as accurate to the setting as 'So sayeth the DM', but still.

Purple-tinged skin, gray eyes and white hair initially gave me a stronger half-star elf kind of vibe. It's easier for me to pass that off than have someone almost lynch Lea every five minutes, which would get old.

WindStruck
2014-09-01, 12:19 AM
Well at least you're in luck because Adrexah probably can't really tell your character is half drow... maybe of an elven descent, but that's it.

Winds
2014-09-01, 10:08 AM
*shrug*

Works for me.

WindStruck
2014-09-03, 05:27 PM
Just so we're clear, we're not reading the part in italics as if it's spoken out loud, are we? That's just thoughts. Though maybe Aral was a taddle tale... :smalltongue:

Kelvin360
2014-09-03, 10:16 PM
Sorry to have to do this to you, Aquila, but could you be more specific on what you're looking for with that check? Dogma, how the priesthood operates, name, quest, favorite color?

AquilaRift
2014-09-03, 10:24 PM
Mainly the beliefs of the Jergalite priesthood, regarding undeath in general and the creation of undead in particular.

Kelvin360
2014-09-03, 11:43 PM
Every once in a while I come across some bit of FR lore that makes so little sense as to actively anger me. :smallsigh: Pretty much every other official sentence about Jergal is contradictory, so I'll do my level best to make this not-confusing. Fortunately, we needed some more non-ambiguous villainous psychopaths. We only have like a half-dozen.

AquilaRift
2014-09-04, 12:31 AM
Oh, now that is interesting. Permission to use recent "research" from Chartessa's books as the reason Elias knows things about Jergal now that he didn't a few days ago?

MLucas
2014-09-04, 12:33 AM
Just so we're clear, we're not reading the part in italics as if it's spoken out loud, are we? That's just thoughts. Though maybe Aral was a taddle tale... :smalltongue:
Orin's comments were due to Adrexah's physical reaction and spoken words - did it seem he was reacting to the italics?

WindStruck
2014-09-04, 01:40 AM
Orin's comments were due to Adrexah's physical reaction and spoken words - did it seem he was reacting to the italics?

Perhaps... I wouldn't have found her physical reaction to be too noticeable or what she said to be very offputting or demeaning.

Hmm, how to handle this. Rolling a skill? Like spot or sense motive?

Well in any case, I don't have a problem responding to Orin. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't like accidentally reading Adrexah's mind...

MLucas
2014-09-04, 01:47 AM
Perhaps... I wouldn't have found her physical reaction to be too noticeable or what she said to be very offputting or demeaning.

Hmm, how to handle this. Rolling a skill? Like spot or sense motive?

Well in any case, I don't have a problem responding to Orin. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't like accidentally reading Adrexah's mind...

Fair enough. I thought that given how boring the ride is, Orin would notice Ferdinand's slowing etc. It did say 'noticeably tenses'. Orins response was mostly based off the first line, not the verbal component.
I can edit my response if it doesnt fit with how subtle you wanted the reaction.

ps: sorry for the repeated edits here. I should use the preview button more.

WindStruck
2014-09-04, 02:18 AM
Oh, sorry. I guess I meant it was more noticeable for the horse than anything... xD

I guess just don't edit anything...

MLucas
2014-09-04, 03:19 AM
Hmm. Well that's put a bit of a damper on the journey :smallredface:

Kelvin360
2014-09-04, 05:09 PM
Oh, now that is interesting. Permission to use recent "research" from Chartessa's books as the reason Elias knows things about Jergal now that he didn't a few days ago?

It's not unlikely that the necromancy tome has some sort of index for that sort of thing. Granted.

WindStruck
2014-09-05, 08:45 PM
Hey guys, I think I'm done with our little conversation on the way to the grove. Anything else anyone want to do/say? (Maybe even starting up a different conversation at a later point?)

Winds
2014-09-05, 08:51 PM
Not really. I'm happy to move on to the destination. (Or interruption, if such occurs.)

MLucas
2014-09-06, 04:17 PM
Done for now.

WindStruck
2014-09-16, 09:04 PM
Don't think I have anything to say (this moment). Anyone else? Or shall we just wait for an arch druid?

Kelvin360
2014-09-16, 11:59 PM
Incidentally, WindStruck, make an insight check (WIS or INT).

WindStruck
2014-09-17, 02:23 AM
Erm ok... isn't insight usually only done with WIS? Well, unless it's something very academic or logic oriented I suppose...

[roll0]

WindStruck
2014-09-22, 08:34 PM
Again, just waiting for this arch druid.

Kelvin360
2014-09-22, 10:14 PM
I'll have a post up within a day; my muse is just shot right now.

Kelvin360
2014-09-26, 04:40 PM
I'd like to talk with Bria and Samnang after we depart, so that we can plan our investigation/assault on the mausoleum, but have nothing further to say to the Mayor. I don't think Elias knows anything about the local druid who gave Adrexah her quest.

Yep. Go ahead and skip straight there.

WindStruck
2014-09-26, 07:31 PM
So, who wants to take a stab at the riddle first? I take it he's NOT the arch druid then? :smallconfused:

AquilaRift
2014-09-27, 05:32 PM
I suspect you're over-thinking, WS. He probably means he is the arch-druid.

If only my familiar had "Speak with Master" already, he'd be a perfect spy -- but right now all I've got is an empathic link, no way to communicate complex concepts like "what are the monks saying" or "are there corpses walking around."

This is a delicate situation. If we treat the mausoleum like a dungeon (walk in and kill anything that pings evil), we could turn out to be wrong, and earn the town yet another enemy.

But the longer we wait, the more bodies disappear. Also, they now know Bria's trying to track them down, if they didn't before, since one of them got away...

But we have a scrap of his clothing. A scrying spell, going by the book, costs a minimum of 280 gp. If I beg a few GP off Samnang and Bria, I can pay for it, but if Dak's caster level is higher than 7 it'll cost more. Maybe if we convince him it's for the good of the town he'll do it pro bono. Still, if the spell fails, we've broken the bank for nothing.

I have to think about this more.

WindStruck
2014-10-03, 12:44 AM
Hey Kelvin, are you still planning on editing more to your post?

Kelvin360
2014-10-03, 01:04 AM
AOL's scene post is finished, if that's what you're asking. I just need to get to Elias' scene. Speaking of...

MLucas
2014-10-03, 02:36 AM
Hi all, I'm on holiday for a week - most likely without internet. Back on the 11th.

AquilaRift
2014-10-03, 03:12 PM
Each spell takes 8 hours to transcribe, right? And I am only interested in copying 2 right now (alarm and resist energy). Assuming the standard 8-hour night's sleep, I'll have both in my spellbook by afternoon the next day.

If there are no further interruptions, Elias can probably be ignored until the rest of the party makes it back.

AquilaRift
2014-10-03, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah, spellcraft checks to learn both of them (including a +2 bonus because they're both abjurations):

Alarm: [roll0]
Resist Energy: [roll1]

EDIT: Looks like I succeed at both of them, albeit by a narrow margin for RE. Yay for synergy bonuses...

WindStruck
2014-10-10, 01:01 PM
Alright, I've hogged the stage enough. Mlucas should be back soon. Erm.. just saying, in case anyone else wants to say something. I'll wait a bit.

AquilaRift
2014-10-14, 04:27 PM
Not much for me to do until the others get back! I could do some character-development conversation with Denara, but that'd make extra work for Kelvin and not advance the plot or involve the other players, so I wouldn't wait on me.

MLucas
2014-10-14, 04:54 PM
Sorry i've not posted - work's been hectic since I got back from holiday. Will try to post in the next few days.

Kelvin360
2014-10-14, 06:49 PM
Not much for me to do until the others get back! I could do some character-development conversation with Denara, but that'd make extra work for Kelvin and not advance the plot or involve the other players, so I wouldn't wait on me.

I'm one of those people who cries if they log in and none of their subscribed threads has a new post, so I'd actually love nothing more than extra work. >_>

Plus, it'd be putting the RP into our RPG.

AquilaRift
2014-10-14, 07:46 PM
:smallsmile: I'll take that into consideration. I've got a midterm Thursday, so not sure if I'll have time this time around -- but if inspiration strikes I won't hesitate in future.

AquilaRift
2014-10-22, 01:43 PM
Hiya, just dropping in to say internet access will be VERY limited for the next week or so, as my laptop just gave up the ghost. Sorry for the inconvenience!

WindStruck
2014-11-14, 05:32 PM
So what time is it? I wonder if there is enough time to do this now? Or should we wait? I imagine everyone is tired though.

Winds
2014-11-14, 07:39 PM
Either way makes sense. Though if I were to vote, I'd say do it in the morning. It is her turf we're going to, as I understand, so there's not really any need to rush.

WindStruck
2014-11-15, 04:29 AM
Alright, well I'm guessing Adrexah will just take it easy, and rest till morning.

Kelvin360
2014-11-19, 06:35 PM
Okay, if A/O/L is resting, go ahead and skip to your morning plans. No more druids will be disturbing you for the duration of your stay unless you go looking for them.

AquilaRift
2014-11-19, 07:35 PM
Elias has not much more to say at this point, so I'll skip to morning plans as well when I've got more time for an IC post. Which are... probably still copying spells.

On the plus side, this means that I'll have two more useful abjurations to potentially prep when we go after the Jergalites.

WindStruck
2014-11-20, 02:48 PM
Morning plans... ok.. we might as well go search for the wilder. And I'm sure by now, Aral has completely seeped into Orin's brain and assumed his body. :smalltongue:

WindStruck
2014-11-24, 08:47 PM
Hey wait Kelvin, we were going to try to make contact with Boudicca while on the way, remember?

Kelvin360
2014-11-24, 09:07 PM
See, I wanted to see if we could then get onto the road to search for traces of that missing caravan.

These aren't mutually exclusive options, but I can only work with what I'm given. That said, if you want to cut a description to the middle of a scene - for example, if I unintentionally railroad you past where you actually wanted to stop and do something - feel free.

WindStruck
2014-11-24, 10:35 PM
Um.. yeah, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear?

I thought before we'd get to the road, we'd be in the Wilder's domain. Once it seemed like a good time (maybe when we started thinking we saw and heard things?) I would've called out her name? Or spoke that ridiculous phrase Jonwyn said.

Kelvin360
2014-11-24, 11:17 PM
Mmhmm. He implied that anyone other than him would have little trouble contacting her by normal means. Just include a preface that you call for a halt while still in the right place (which, according to Jonwyn, is a sliver between the Grove and the road), then do your thing.

WindStruck
2014-11-27, 10:06 PM
I edited my post. Is that what you wanted?

AquilaRift
2014-11-29, 04:01 AM
MLucas, if you're still around, I think Orin's the only person who could presently make the connection staring us all in the face. Adrexah and Lea both joined up after we got Thorard, and Elias hasn't met the Archdruid.

Kelvin360
2014-11-30, 03:48 AM
A few minor updates to the companion status list. Firstly, I added Samnang to the 'official' roster, as the knight of Mystra is now firmly allied to your cause. Second, you'll start noting that everyone except Thorard (for now) has unique items that grant additional benefits suited to their character. Keeping an eye out for resources to upgrade them is possible, but not mandatory. This won't change the general 'anti-gold-sink' rule regarding how other companion gear upgrades on its own as the party levels up.

Kelvin360
2014-12-02, 03:10 PM
And yeah, Winds and MLucas, feel free to pop in with any questions or comments that may occur. Or...well...something. Just to make sure we didn't lose anybody like a sock in the dryer.

WindStruck
2014-12-06, 12:14 AM
Winds is probably still around. But MCLucas...? I dunno...

Winds
2014-12-06, 09:56 AM
I am, I just don't have anything to say IC right now.

Kelvin360
2014-12-06, 11:09 AM
I tossed out a PM, and we can wait a couple days if it comes to that. I wouldn't say I'm worried; MLucas seems to be quiet, but consistent.

AquilaRift
2014-12-06, 11:32 PM
He has been up to now. I hope he's still around. He and I are the last original players of this game.

MLucas
2014-12-08, 12:28 PM
Hi all,

I'm really sorry I've not logged in for a while!
I had a few weeks holiday with no internet, then work got ridiculously busy.

I'll try and catch up and post again - but I may be too busy until the new year to do anything.

Again, really sorry for not letting you know.

Matthew

Kelvin360
2014-12-08, 04:27 PM
That's perfectly fine; it's good to hear from you, at any rate.

I can think of two things impacted by that - combat and Aral's crystal. Anything Orin knows related to the current situation can come out in a later briefing, since I assume everyone in the party trusts Boudicca about as much as the Baron's socks about now. We have a precedent for NPCing away PCs during fights, so that's fine. Otherwise...I'm not sure I see a reason for Orin hiding the crystal if someone asks for it. But then, that depends entirely on whether Adrexah DOES ask for it. So yeah. For now, we can just take it slow. There's no imperative to charge into the monkey swarm right this instant. That being the case, I find it safe to say that it's Lea and Adrexah's move.

MLucas
2014-12-08, 06:17 PM
Hmm. There was less to catch up on than I'd feared (although I did skip most of Elias' sections).
Seems I got back at just the right moment :)

(I've assumed that Orin was tagging along, being his usual quiet self).

AquilaRift
2014-12-08, 09:10 PM
I remember at the beginning of the game, Orin was downright chatty. :smalltongue: I guess that's the thing about a slow-paced game -- it's really difficult to keep a consistent character voice. My writing, and my grasp of what Elias is about, has developed a lot over the course of almost two years, but for Elias it has only been part of a week.

Anyway, go ahead and take it slow, I'm super swamped by papers right now, so if it's a while before Elias does anything plot-relevant I will only be grateful.

MLucas
2014-12-09, 02:45 AM
It's always been my vision for him that he's a chatty monk - lack of time irl, and not feeling involved with all the magic stuff kept him quiet.
Aral was a good outlet though :)

MLucas
2014-12-11, 11:04 AM
Edited my post slightly - Bit of an assumption that the person placing it was psionic, but I think Orin is hoping that it's not as rare as it seems.

Kelvin360
2014-12-14, 12:43 AM
So, because the upcoming battle will have a fairly large number of combatants, we'll be dividing roles differently than normal. PCs and enemies will have their own initiative groups - the heroes act first, all essentially at the same time, and then the apes will react. Players will also make actions for their animals, except Thorard. So WindStruck will dictate what Adrexah, Cirrus, Chino, and Ferdinand do. MLucas will determine Orin and Hurah's actions (Hurah has the base statistics of a Light Warhorse). Winds will act for Lea and Veranyn (who has the stats of a Light Horse). After all the players make a combat post, I will act for Thorard and Boudicca, then react for the apes.

In this case, it means we don't have to worry about waiting for someone's initiative order. If you know what you want to do, you can just post your action, and when all three posts are tallied, we move on. The War Map and the War Table will make a return, of course.

On another note, I feel like I asked this a while ago, so pardon my repetition. My inventory chart shows that the party has a lot of vendor trash lying around after the fight in the basement, plus the loot in Chartessa's cellar. Was there a consensus on what was going to happen to that? Or did it already get taken and I just didn't record it?

WindStruck
2014-12-14, 02:33 AM
I dunno about the loot. Adrexah wasn't concerned with looting bodies...

Uh, also, I don't really understand. What exactly is Boudicca saying? The apes can't attack us up in the trees, but we could attack them while they are up there? Or we have some. advantage somewhere where they are at? :smallconfused:

AquilaRift
2014-12-14, 03:00 AM
I think, purely by events as recorded, Santino walked off with the gold from the fireplace. I think we've been splitting up the gold we get evenly between party members, other than that. As for the basement... we were more worried about Geoff, and Adrexah's arm. I don't think anyone even looted the place.

Kelvin360
2014-12-14, 01:07 PM
I dunno about the loot. Adrexah wasn't concerned with looting bodies...

Uh, also, I don't really understand. What exactly is Boudicca saying? The apes can't attack us up in the trees, but we could attack them while they are up there? Or we have some. advantage somewhere where they are at? :smallconfused:

Correct. The apes lack ranged weapons, which means that in order to fight you, they have to come down to your home turf. However, most of your group has some sort of ranged weapon you can use to pick them off if they stay up there.


I think, purely by events as recorded, Santino walked off with the gold from the fireplace. I think we've been splitting up the gold we get evenly between party members, other than that. As for the basement... we were more worried about Geoff, and Adrexah's arm. I don't think anyone even looted the place.

Understood, adjustments made. I'll try to be more careful about those records in the future. :smallredface: It's so weird to not assume the party is grabbing at anything shiny like traditional murderhobos. >_>

AquilaRift
2014-12-14, 03:57 PM
Generally I don't do much looting within the town because you never know what might belong to who. We had no compunction about stripping the bandits of everything valuable. Probably it'll be the same when we raid the mausoleum.

WindStruck
2014-12-14, 04:50 PM
Hah, I still remember that half dragon girl that was like the murder hobo you expected. It wasn't real pleasant to be honest, so let's just not go there. :smallbiggrin:

WindStruck
2014-12-14, 05:04 PM
I am not sure how combat will work. Seems we are not actually engaged in some kind of melee yet, but if we get a period to try and shoot up at the apes, I think what Adrexah will do is make a listen check each round, and every time she beats one of their move silently checks by 20 or more, she'll have pinpointed a location and then fires at that spot. Of course, there is still a 50% miss chance... plus attack rolls that need to be made.

But does that sound good?

Kelvin360
2014-12-14, 05:11 PM
No need to add complexity. When was the last time anyone heard of a quiet ape, anyway? Just attack and perceive as normal with the miss chance.

WindStruck
2014-12-16, 08:58 PM
Kelvin, even though I have a 50% miss chance already, I feel like being able to auto-detect the precise location of the other monkeys is kind of... defeating the purpose of being blind.

Since the apes seem to be hooting and howling right now, I guess this will be fine, but if they ever make some semblance of stealth, have me make listen checks to pinpoint them ok?

Edit: whoops, my attack should be 1 higher. For some reason I thought we were still level 2, but we are level 3 right?

Kelvin360
2014-12-16, 09:28 PM
Maybe my point was unclear. I meant that because they are tactically unsound opponents, listen checks aren't required. Howling monkeys are the exception, not the rule.

And yes, you all should be a solid level 3. Since the basement, I believe.

Kelvin360
2014-12-17, 06:19 PM
Incidentally, WindStruck, what's Cirrus doing now? I have him as flying overhead, but given his HP I'm guessing you want it to stay that way unless this turns sour.

WindStruck
2014-12-17, 10:38 PM
Cirrus should never be engaged in combat, ever. lol

I should also point out that she doesn't even have the attack or defend tricks...

WindStruck
2014-12-18, 06:28 PM
Would it be safe to assume Orin* just shoots another stone at a nearby ape? :smallconfused:

MLucas
2014-12-18, 07:12 PM
I expect so, until they're in melee range (they're elevated atm right?).
still busy at work, I'll try and post when I have time.


oh - aral can give focus - is that the same focus I can meditate for and then spend to power psychic fist?

Kelvin360
2014-12-18, 07:50 PM
I expect so, until they're in melee range (they're elevated atm right?).

Nope. They've just reached the forest floor and will be charging into melee range starting this round.



oh - aral can give focus - is that the same focus I can meditate for and then spend to power psychic fist?

He can indeed grant psionic focus to someone in possession of his psicrystals. In this case, it wouldn't require an action on your part, but you'd still have to make a Concentration check to retain it.

MLucas
2014-12-19, 02:58 AM
Sorry, still confused;
Psionic Focus uses concentration, DC20, and takes a round to get. It needs a PP to focus, but doesnt use it up.
Once gotten it can be held until unconscious for no effort. (and I feel I've mentioned that I'm assuming I'll always have it at the first round of combat each day)

So what alters by having a (or this) PsiCrystal?
My current thought is it doesnt take a full round action, but does need a check (free action)? And I'd still need PP. If that's true, then I could potentially use Psionic Fist every round.
The other interpretation is that Orin doesnt need to retain a PP to be able to focus (which is good as he only has one).

Kelvin360
2014-12-19, 12:27 PM
Your first interpretation was correct. Technically. What actually happens is that Aral spends his full round to gain his psionic focus and you make a Concentration check to borrow it. So yes, you can generate focus every round and also take an action if you pass the check.

Kelvin360
2014-12-19, 07:37 PM
For the life of me, I can't remember if we discussed this in any detail, so I'll bring it up. To avoid needing to ask multiple players to make additional rolls either here or in the IC thread, I rolled the reactionary sets (Orin's AoO, Adrexah's opposed STR check for the bull rush) myself. To speed up combat, if this something everyone is okay with, or would you prefer to make such rolls on your own? For the record, I'm down with either. This also would not include hesitantly optional rolls where I would have to assume what your action is. In this case, I'm 100% certain that MLucas wasn't going to turn down the AoO and that WindStruck wasn't going to forfeit the opposed STR check, but if there had been multiple Attacks of Opportunity available, I'd have asked which one Orin was going to take.

WindStruck
2014-12-19, 07:43 PM
That all sounds fair to me. :smallsmile:

Geeze, how in the hell did I get pushed back so far? :smallconfused:

MLucas
2014-12-19, 07:47 PM
your doing obvious reactions for orin is fine by me.

WindStruck
2014-12-19, 09:00 PM
Well, I guess I rolled really low, and the ape rolled really high.

Anyway, got a question. Is it possible, in your opinion, to hold a longbow in one hand and attack with a dagger in the other with no penalties?

Kelvin360
2014-12-19, 11:15 PM
That all sounds fair to me. :smallsmile:

Geeze, how in the hell did I get pushed back so far? :smallconfused:

Yeeeaaaahhh...the ape rolled a 17. Adrexah got a total of 2. Bull rushing with a 40ft land speed is ludicrous, evidently.


Well, I guess I rolled really low, and the ape rolled really high.

Anyway, got a question. Is it possible, in your opinion, to hold a longbow in one hand and attack with a dagger in the other with no penalties?

Hm. If you're using the dagger with your dominant hand, I don't believe the rules would consider that two-weapon fighting, if that's what you mean. Because you're just holding the bow, not attacking with it. It operates on the same principle as fencing while holding a torch.

WindStruck
2014-12-19, 11:20 PM
Well... I don't think a bullrush is based on land speed. It says if the check is successful, you get pushed back 5 feet, and for every 5 points beyond the defender's, you get pushed back another 5 feet. But I do figure with rolls that bad, I'd be pushed back 30 feet...

..and the only real nitpick is if you count diagonal distance by Pythagorean theory, I moved about 42 feet. Well, I guess diagonals are just weird, aren't they?

Kelvin360
2014-12-20, 12:37 AM
Well... I don't think a bullrush is based on land speed. It says if the check is successful, you get pushed back 5 feet, and for every 5 points beyond the defender's, you get pushed back another 5 feet. But I do figure with rolls that bad, I'd be pushed back 30 feet...

..and the only real nitpick is if you count diagonal distance by Pythagorean theory, I moved about 42 feet. Well, I guess diagonals are just weird, aren't they?

The limit is still how far the initiator of the bull rush could actually move. The max distance of his charge is 80 feet, so he could have taken you further, but he disengaged.

I could start counting movement in fractions if we really all want me to. :smalltongue:

MLucas
2014-12-23, 06:43 AM
I'll be away from the 27th to the 3rd - hopefully I'll have internet though.
(And hopefully I won't 'disappear' like last holiday).

Kelvin360
2014-12-25, 03:33 PM
And on the twelfth day of Christmas my DM gave to me...

Twelve plotters plotting,
Eleven druids ducking
Ten apes-a-falling
Nine bandits running
Eight folks-a-lying
Seven cultists skulking
Six psions psyching
FIIIIIIIVE DIFFERENT QUESTS!
Four protagonists
Three sidekicks
Two Big Goods
And a boss battle for you and meeeeeee!

Happy holidays, my lovely players. :smallwink:

Winds
2014-12-25, 08:32 PM
Twelve plotters, but only eight liars? And two Big Goods? This is gonna be complicated. Sounds like fun!

...And yeah, Merry Christmas. :smallbiggrin:

WindStruck
2014-12-25, 09:15 PM
Hey guys! Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good fight!!

Er... yeah I guess that goes along with what's happening now. :smallsmile:

WindStruck
2014-12-25, 09:26 PM
Yay, crit confirm! lol, I swear, the crits happen when I DON'T preemptively put the rolls in...

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Oh hey, am I flanking? That would mean an extra +2 to the attack roll.

Kelvin360
2014-12-25, 09:51 PM
Oh hey, am I flanking? That would mean an extra +2 to the attack roll.

Yep; Thorard moved up to flank with you after bringing out more fire, so your critical hit confirmed.

WindStruck
2014-12-25, 09:57 PM
Adrexah follows up with two more rapid strikes! One for each end of the staff.



miss chance: [roll0]
attack: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]

miss chance: [roll3]
attack: [roll4]
damage: [roll5]

crit confirm: [roll6]
crit damage: [roll7]

1 = miss, attack rolls include both dual-wielding penalties and flanking bonuses.

edit: Whoops. This was for the IC thread..

Kelvin360
2014-12-29, 03:53 PM
Ahhh, how much I'd missed straight-up fights. Excitement, dice rolling, dice cursing, and - most importantly - loads of XP. Now, my animals don't swallow +5 full plate like they do in RPGs, :smalltongue: but I'll just leave this here:


Remnants of more corpses - both animal and humanoid - litter the ground, alongside splintered wood and various containers. Barrels, sacks, chests and more form piles under the trees, some old and some new, all relatively well-kept.

WindStruck
2014-12-29, 09:49 PM
I'm lost. What is the difference between experience awarded and total party exp?

Kelvin360
2014-12-29, 10:32 PM
Experience awarded is how much you got from the battle.

Total XP is what every member of the party should have right now after adding it up, before taking into account a few bonuses. Essentially, all of the PCs are roughly 800 xp from level 4.

WindStruck
2014-12-29, 10:46 PM
Hmm ok... apparently I haven't been keeping good track of my exp... lol

WindStruck
2015-01-02, 05:53 PM
So anyway, instead of looting and pillaging, we are retreiving our lost ammunition. :smallbiggrin:

But really, Adrexah is blind. She's the least likely of any of you to start rifling through stuff, so you guys go ahead first!