PDA

View Full Version : Re-writing my Wizard Spell book! :)

XnOs
2012-08-04, 02:26 PM
Hey Guys!

There is an TL;DNR in the bottom of this post! -written in red. :)

I have a Wizard lvl 11 in DnD 3.5.

I have erlier written a spell book. whilst doing so, i had very little experience, but i have gained a fair amount of experience with spells and spell casting.
Caused a low quality book, I've chosen to re-write it, and therefor i come to you for advice and guidance. :)

My wizard is specialized in the school Conjuration, with the schools Enchantment & Evocation banned.
I have also chosen to get Abrupt Jaunt instead of a Familiar.
This should not be of importance in this matter, but it will give an overall idea of what my Wizard is like.

This Re-Writing will not include any spell selections, since this wizard is already created and have been played a while.

My old spell-book looks like this:
Page 1: Ranges, and a few notes.
Page 2: Level 0 spells.
Page 3-4: Level 1 spells.

The next pages contains 2 pages per spell level. (I realize that this is not enough pages per spell level.)

The pages after that has stats on different Poly-morph options. Some utility like Rust monster, and some combat. Even a few personal notes.
*Poly-morph into plants to gain immunity to mind-effects... and so on.*

In the back of the book i have "To get" spells. These are the spells i desire.
I do not wish to have such a chapter in my new spell-book.

I am also aware that Spell-books has a fixed size, and that i should therefor, at some point write 2 spell-books. I would love to keep all my spells in the same book IRL. I am considering marking the different spells with 1 and 2. this way, i can, if one of my spell-books gets stolen, destroyed or otherwise lost, keep tract of which spells I've lost. :)

The pages that contains spells by level:
This is the point i wish help the most! Suggestions, corrections, experience! Everything is VERY welcome!:)

Right now, they are written down unorganized. I simply wrote em down when i acquired them.

The name of the spell is written down in a more dark writing, so that it makes it easy to see when the spell description from the last spell ends, and the new spell starts.

Under every spell i have:
Range. (C, M, L) Or specified, if the range does not categorize.

Duration. (Example: 1h/lvl, 1min/2lvls)

Effects. This includes Damage.

Weather or not Spell Resistance is allowed. Written SR in clear writing.

Restrictions. (Example: Mage Hand - 5 pounds.)

Components. If they are of extraordinary importance.
Example: Dimension door - Only verbal components.

And one of two marks:
A Star, if the spell is from the school of which i have specialized in.
A circle with an X within, if the spell is from the school which i have Spell-focus in.

I have been cutting a paper strip off, in the bottom of the book. But i have cut different length of the paper strip on each side.
This way i can put a finger, and easily find level 3 spells.
(You know, like in a phone-book)

That's what I've got so far! Any inputs would be great! Even if just to tell me i am a huge nerd! :)

Thank you all in advance, i have been dazzled by the users on Giant in the Playground many times before! Your insight is unparalleled to my knowledge, therefor I've chosen to write this thread, even though i feel like i got a hang of it! If i am missing something, i am SURE you would find it! :)

TL;DNR: I am re-writing my spell-book, and i would like input and ideas to how to improve it.

It is important to me, that this spell-book will speed up the game, by making me avoid looking up spells.

X's n O's - (It means Kisses and Huggs!) - XnOs! :)

Ps. English is not my native language, but i hope that auto-correct have helped me avoid an in-understandable text! :)

Xrystofer
2012-08-04, 03:15 PM
Looks to me that you are in need of a spell sheet like this one (http://files.meetup.com/47142/ultimate_3.5_sheet.pdf)

Scroll down ... and you should see the wizard/sorcerer list with spells from other sources aswell.

There's also a nice polymorph Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=k4dn9chmma0uk0rv46vo962381&topic=519)that you could take a look at , that without a doubt would help you a lot.

XnOs
2012-08-04, 03:34 PM
Those links are great!:) They will indeed help me a lot!
The spell sheet will not be able to replace the book i have in mind though.
I am going to have spell descriptions and such, but it will be a huge help! No doubt.
Also, I am pretty determined to make my own spell book. :)

Thanks for the reply! - Solid ideas!

X's n O's! :)