PDA

View Full Version : Ascension to Godhood?

aphoticConniver
2012-08-04, 08:07 PM
My deceased Druid, through some godly miracles, has ascended to Demigodhood, with a Divine Rank of 2. Problem is, I can't really make head nor tails of Deities and Demigods. A few key questions:

After becoming a god with, say, 20 levels of Druid, would he gain yet another 20 HD of Outsider?
What sort of stat increases would he get?

That, along with possibly a general guide, would be incredibly helpful.

SamBurke
2012-08-04, 08:10 PM
Ascension to Godhood? If possible, do it. I've heard it offers some great perks and discounts at Best Buy.

If you can't make out Deities and Demigods, I have absolutely no idea. You are on your own, my friend.

Randomguy
2012-08-04, 08:36 PM
Check the SRD.

Most deities are 20 HD outsiders with 30 to 50 character levels as well. These additional character levels beyond an effective character level of 20th follow the rules for epic levels.

Most, not all deities. So you don't get any free outsider hit dice. (I think).

In the SRD, it says that you get a deflection bonus = to your charisma bonus, and you add your Divine Rank to a bunch of things, like your Natural Armour, skill checks, ability checks, caster level checks, saving throws and attack rolls. Oh, and all your senses extend out for 2 miles.

You also gain 3 Divine Salient Abilities. I suggest choosing Divine Druid as one of them.

Malak'ai
2012-08-04, 08:58 PM
I don't know because I've never allowed it in any of my games.
I think this is a situation where we need Urpriest. **Turns on the Ur signal and sits back to wait** :smalltongue:.

aphoticConniver
2012-08-04, 09:01 PM
I should probably explain. This druid died in service of his goddess, and she has chosen to bestow demigod powers to him. Meanwhile, I'm getting a new character. Really, it's more for roleplaying than anything, but I'd like to stat it out in case my DM wants to, say, have the Druid and our current party/his followers battle a rival or some such.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-04, 09:09 PM
I don't know because I've never allowed it in any of my games.
I think this is a situation where we need Urpriest. **Turns on the Ur signal and sits back to wait** :smalltongue:.
I love the fact we're calling for an ur-priest for questions on how to deal with a god. *evil laugh*

I should probably explain. This druid died in service of his goddess, and she has chosen to bestow demigod powers to him. Meanwhile, I'm getting a new character. Really, it's more for roleplaying than anything, but I'd like to stat it out in case my DM wants to, say, have the Druid and our current party/his followers battle a rival or some such.

You don't gain any outsider HD. You do gain your divine rank as a bonus to the things listed. You gain expanded senses as the previous poster mentioned, and you gain several salient divine abilities. That's it. It really is that simple. Depending on your choice of divine salient abilities, divine rank isn't really all that impressive.

TypoNinja
2012-08-05, 01:22 PM
I love the fact we're calling for an ur-priest for questions on how to deal with a god. *evil laugh*

You don't gain any outsider HD. You do gain your divine rank as a bonus to the things listed. You gain expanded senses as the previous poster mentioned, and you gain several salient divine abilities. That's it. It really is that simple. Depending on your choice of divine salient abilities, divine rank isn't really all that impressive.

You also pick up a whole raft of immunities and other special abilities for being a Deity, you don't qualify as a Greater Deity, so you don't have to worry about some of the sillier shenanigans like never rolling a d20 again expect to check for crits, but you'll still end up with quite the list of goodies, even before you hit divine salient abilities.

Lets see, dont have my book handy but I think this is most of it.

Max HP per level.
If you are a medium sized bi-ped your land speed jumps to 80
AC bonus = divine rank and AC bonus = Cha mod
Divine rank bonus to attack rolls, saves, skill checks.
Immune to a boatload of effects, and electricity cold and acid.
DR and SR based on divine rank.
Fire resistance.
You get all your associated domain abilities, and can cast all your domain spells as spell likes, at will.
Immortality (duh)

And that's without going into salient abilities, portfolio sense, and your crazily enhanced senses.

I know there's a divine section on the SRD, hopefully that helps you out too.

Urpriest
2012-08-05, 04:39 PM

I'll tell you how do deal with a god...muahahahaha!

In all seriousness though, as others have mentioned the 20 outsider HD are for natural gods, not ascended ones. Check out Imhotep for an example.

The section on divine characteristics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#divineCharacteristics) covers pretty much all you need to know. Gods generally have higher ability scores than mortals, but there really isn't any cohesive system for how much higher, and for an ascended mortal it probably makes sense for you to keep your own scores at first.

hewhosaysfish
2012-08-05, 05:55 PM
The section on divine characteristics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#divineCharacteristics) covers pretty much all you need to know

Some of my favourite sections to note:

Spell-Like Abilities

A deity can use any domain spell it can grant as a spell-like ability at will. The deity’s effective caster level for such abilities is 10 + the deity’s divine rank. The saving throw DC for such abilities is 10 + the spell level + the deity’s Charisma bonus (if any) + the deity’s divine rank.

So if you can grant the Luck domain to your worshippers, you can use Miracle as an at-will spell-like ability. If you have Trickery, Time-Stop at will.
Of course, neither of these sound particulary druid-y but the Animal domain gives you Shapechange. At will.

Grant Spells

A deity automatically grants spells and domain powers to mortal divine spellcasters who pray to it. Most deities can grant spells from the cleric spell list, the ranger spell list, and from three or more domains. Deities with levels in the druid class can grant spells from the druid spell list, and deities with paladin levels can grant spells from the paladin spell list. A deity can withhold spells from any particular mortal as a free action; once a spell has been granted, it remains in the mortal’s mind until expended.

Spontaneous Casting

A deity of rank 1 or higher who has levels in a divine spellcasting class can spontaneously cast any spell it can grant.

So your druid casting just became spontaneous. Never have to prepare spells again as you can just grant yourself spells as and when you need them. Although you still can't go over the normal limits of spells-per-day, because I guess the alternative would be to overpowered even for deities.

Twilightwyrm
2012-08-05, 06:47 PM
With regards to your question about HD, all signs seem to indicate that you would not gain extra HD if you didn't have them already. For your best example of this, look at another (comparatively) recent ascendant character, Vecna. If you look at Vecna's stats in Deities and Demigods, he only has Wizard 20/Cleric 20 HD in his stat block, meaning that he has not gained any levels of outsider since ascending to godhood. So you should be fine without said HD.

TypoNinja
2012-08-05, 08:40 PM
I'll tell you how do deal with a god...muahahahaha!

I would love if you'd PM me some tips, I'm pretty sure were about to piss off a Sorcerer-King in my Darksun game.

Urpriest
2012-08-05, 08:48 PM
I would love if you'd PM me some tips, I'm pretty sure were about to piss off a Sorcerer-King in my Darksun game.

Heh...well actually, not much you can do for real gods. Do the Sorceror-Kings actually have divinity though? I had the impression they were just epic spellcasters with great wyrm stats.

TypoNinja
2012-08-06, 02:59 PM
Heh...well actually, not much you can do for real gods. Do the Sorceror-Kings actually have divinity though? I had the impression they were just epic spellcasters with great wyrm stats.

Starting a new thread so as not to derail this one.

Let's go Over here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13680863#post13680863)

Elvencloud
2012-08-06, 06:23 PM
Aren't Demigods usually divine rank 0? :smallconfused:

Once you get one rank, you're an actual full god.

TypoNinja
2012-08-06, 08:23 PM
Aren't Demigods usually divine rank 0? :smallconfused:

Once you get one rank, you're an actual full god.

D&D breaks it down to;
Quasi-deities Divine rank 0.
Demi-gods, are 1-5,
Lesser deities 6-10.
Intermediate deities 11-15
Greater deities at 16-20.

21+ are over-deities, and are supposed to represent the kind of out there power that simply escapes mortal understanding, they don't answer prayers, grant spells, or even care if they are worshiped.

So yes, technically a "God" but, some are more Godly than others.