PDA

View Full Version : The Sa'sogola's Creations [3.5 Artifacts]

Temotei
2012-08-05, 12:29 AM
Shield of Eraclos

This shield is ornate in design, with magical runes inscribed all over, including on the wielder's side. A single image stands out from the center of the shield's front; there is a beast, black as night and somehow impossible to focus sight on, fighting another creature, this one white, both towering over other beasts and what look like humans.

The shield of Eraclos is a +5 animated bashing called commander heavy steel shield that confers its enhancement bonus as a sacred bonus to AC and saving throws (the AC is in addition to the enhancement bonus). In addition, whenever the shield is struck in melee combat (the wielder's AC is higher than the attack roll against him), it sends out a wave of destructive energy in a 20-foot cone that only harms evil outsiders, dealing 6d6 damage in a swathe of holy fire. Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.

When used to shield bash an evil outsider, the shield damages all evil outsiders within 60 feet and deals an additional 6d6 damage with holy fire, as described above.

Finally, when the wielder is in dire straits, the shield confers a final benefit so that his endeavors may succeed. When the wielder of the shield of Eraclos would die, he is instantly revived as per the true resurrection spell and all evil outsiders within 60 feet of the wielder take 20d6 holy fire damage, as described above. This benefit can only be conferred once per week.

Strong abjuration, evocation, and transmutation; CL 20th; Weight 15 lb.

Water Weaver's Distaff

This glass staff is actually made of two different staffs that curl around each other, spiraling like snakes until reaching the top, at which point they split and form a maw-like end. Flowing designs of rivers and rain decorate the staff from top to bottom.

The water weaver's distaff allows use of the following spells:

Animate water (1 charge)
Bless water (1 charge)
Create food and water (1 charge)
Curse water (1 charge)
Fog cloud (1 charge)
Control water (2 charges)
Horrid wilting (3 charges)
Mass drown (5 charges)

In addition to the spells it contains, the staff allows the wielder to imitate the effects of dust of dryness, except with up to 1,000 gallons of water at once. Absorbing water requires a full-round action, regardless of the amount absorbed. The staff absorbs the water into itself and regains 1 charge for every 100 gallons absorbed, to a maximum of 50 charges.

Finally, the wielder of this staff casts water spells at +2 caster level.

Strong conjuration and transmutation; CL 20th; Weight 5 lb.

Cieyrin
2012-08-05, 10:18 AM
Not sure what I think about the shield but I like the staff. I do wonder what kind of action the water absorption is (standard to absorb 1000 gallons?) and whether the Curse of Spilt Water was republished besides in Dragon at some point?

Debihuman
2012-08-05, 12:02 PM
It seems like the shield should do half fire damage and half holy (or divine or sanctified) damage rather than half fire and half untyped damage.

I also don't particularly like magic items that confer bonuses based on an ability bonus as it is really a cheaper item for a PC with a lower ability but a more costly item for a PC with a higher ability. Perhaps there should be a minimum Charisma score required to use this item.

Lastly, the bonus to AC and to saving throws should be a Circumstance bonus not an Insight bonus.

Debby

Debihuman
2012-08-05, 12:06 PM
It seems like the shield should do half fire damage and half holy (or divine or sanctified) damage rather than half fire and half untyped damage. Though that may just be misremembering the damage types.

I also don't particularly like magic items that confer bonuses based on an ability bonus as it is really a cheaper item for a PC with a lower ability but a more costly item for a PC with a higher ability. Perhaps there should be a minimum Charisma score required to use this item.

Lastly, the bonus to AC and to saving throws should be a Circumstance bonus not an Insight bonus.

Debby

Cieyrin
2012-08-05, 12:23 PM
Right, it should be the same text as Flame Strike has for its damage, which I assume is the model that is meant.

Temotei
2012-08-05, 12:54 PM
Not sure what I think about the shield but I like the staff. I do wonder what kind of action the water absorption is (standard to absorb 1000 gallons?) and whether the Curse of Spilt Water was republished besides in Dragon at some point?

It might not have been. Maybe I should take it out and replace it with something else.

I forgot about the action. Full-round action should be fine.

It seems like the shield should do half fire damage and half holy (or divine or sanctified) damage rather than half fire and half untyped damage.

Same effect, but okay. You've got a point. Flame strike was the model.

I don't like requirements for picking up items. Not sure what you mean by more costly for PCs with higher ability scores, since they're artifacts, so neither one has a price anyway.

Why? I mean, I could see an argument for sacred going around, but circumstance is...circumstance.
A circumstance bonus (or penalty) arises from specific conditional factors impacting the success of the task at hand.

Right, it should be the same text as Flame Strike has for its damage, which I assume is the model that is meant.

Yeah, it was.

EDIT: Changed curse of spilt water to horrid wilting, added a phrase about a full-round action being required for absorbing water, and reworded the damage in the shield of Eraclos.

Debihuman
2012-08-07, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Temotei: I don't like requirements for picking up items. Not sure what you mean by more costly for PCs with higher ability scores, since they're artifacts, so neither one has a price anyway.

Lemme rephrase it: it is a better item for someone with higher Charisma than it is for someone with lower charisma. That's not a feature of items that I particularly like since it doesn't give out the same benefit to everyone. It's great for Min/Maxers but you get zilch if you don't have a Charisma bonus. Since Cha is often the dump stat for most classes, it not to be as useful except to a sorcerer or bard.

"A circumstance bonus (or penalty) arises from specific conditional factors impacting the success of the task at hand. Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source." As long as you have the item in your possession, you get the bonus. It stacks making it a better bonus.

"An insight bonus improves performance of a given activity by granting the character an almost precognitive knowledge of what might occur. Multiple insight bonuses on the same character or object do not stack. Only the highest insight bonus applies." By time a PC gets this artifact, he or she probably already has an Insight bonus equal to his or her Charisma. Again, with Charisma being the stat dump, it's not that great a benefit.

Debby

Temotei
2012-08-07, 03:07 PM
Lemme rephrase it: it is a better item for someone with higher Charisma than it is for someone with lower charisma. That's not a feature of items that I particularly like since it doesn't give out the same benefit to everyone. It's great for Min/Maxers but you get zilch if you don't have a Charisma bonus. Since Cha is often the dump stat for most classes, it not to be as useful except to a sorcerer or bard.

Good point. I'll see what I can do. Changed to a sacred bonus that equals the item's enhancement bonus. This allows people who play with the rules to allow improving magical items to get better bonuses if they go into epic levels and provides a really significant bonus otherwise.

"A circumstance bonus (or penalty) arises from specific conditional factors impacting the success of the task at hand. Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source." As long as you have the item in your possession, you get the bonus. It stacks making it a better bonus.

"An insight bonus improves performance of a given activity by granting the character an almost precognitive knowledge of what might occur. Multiple insight bonuses on the same character or object do not stack. Only the highest insight bonus applies." By time a PC gets this artifact, he or she probably already has an Insight bonus equal to his or her Charisma. Again, with Charisma being the stat dump, it's not that great a benefit.

Debby

Circumstance bonuses are supposed to come up from specific circumstances (like higher ground), though, not holding an item. I'll make it sacred, since that fits and it's much less likely that a PC has a sacred bonus to AC/saves.

Cieyrin
2012-08-07, 05:34 PM
Circumstance bonuses are supposed to come up from specific circumstances (like higher ground), though, not holding an item. I'll make it sacred, since that fits and it's much less likely that a PC has a sacred bonus to AC/saves.

They're almost always nonmagic as well, like Dodge bonuses. Holding a magic shield tends to give a shield bonus for using it, not it happening to be there makes you circumstantially in a better position to defend yourself, let alone wondering where your force of will can better your chances of having such occur. A divine shield providing a sacred bonus makes sense, though, certainly.

jojolagger
2012-08-08, 01:51 AM
Get a bunch of low level warriors to shoot arrows at my back. Shield incinerates the Balor I'm fighting.
Seriously, you can trigger the shield over 100 times in a single round by having low level minions miss with a bow. That is bad.

Temotei
2012-08-08, 04:51 AM
Get a bunch of low level warriors to shoot arrows at my back. Shield incinerates the Balor I'm fighting.
Seriously, you can trigger the shield over 100 times in a single round by having low level minions miss with a bow. That is bad.

I changed it to trigger on melee attacks.

Something doesn't feel right about it, though.