PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Old Enemies, New Alliances (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Cleavon
2012-08-05, 01:09 AM
Old Enemies, New Allies
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251619)

The sun hangs high in the sky as your wagon trundles down the well worn roads. Helmsport is over a day behind you and you are set to reach Brindol when the sun is just slipping over the horizon. Wilt drives the wagon, his attendant sitting at his side. Tella sits on a fine pillow in the back, a book across her lap as they travel

On the western side of the road you can at times see how the land grows sparser, and looks as if it could sink into swamp at any time. A reminder of how close you are to the Great Swamp.

Amalody
As you ride along, you spot something moving through the stands of trees near the road, on the west side. It moves slowly, and seems to be pushing its way through the bushes towards the road. It seems humanoid, and is either short, or hunched over.

(Go ahead and wait until a few people have posted their intros, we'll say that you see it a good three rounds after "game start"

Psilulz
2012-08-05, 02:17 AM
"Thank the gods we aren't goin' through there," The elf says, pointing westerly with her thumb. "Would not like bein' stranded out here..."
Amalody sits uncomforably in the wagon, looking about and absorbing the scenery, if you could call it that. The swamp land seems like a miserable place to exist, and being so near it is throwing her off a bit.
"How can the Hobs stand living so close to this?"

Stormwind
2012-08-05, 05:45 AM
Ilmarinen rides alongside the wagon, atop a steel gray gelding, sitting in the saddle with the ease of one to whom riding comes naturally. The horse is young and willful, and is prone to trying to nip its rider. It takes most of Ilmarinen's skill and concentration to avoid the constant attempts, and his left ankle still aches from an earlier nip, reminding him of the need to be alert to the horses intentions.

Still, he manages to catch Amalody's comments, and responds "Not a place I would choose to live in ... but perhaps if one needed a place to hide ..." reminding her of a younger Ilmarinen that she once knew, a boy who had proved capable of seeing opportunities in the unlikeliest of places.

Gorthok
2012-08-05, 11:51 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

A hollow thump rocked the wagon, making the robed figure in the back bang her head. "OW! Blasted ruts! Excuse me, Mr. Councilman... but if you could try and miss those ruts, my head would greatly appreciate it."

Shifting her body for more comfort, the lithe form looks at her fellow travelers with her milky eyes. They are the only part of her body visible through the midnight black robes that encompass her body. She carries a tanned hide pack and a shoulder sash of herbs and other medical supplies, the tools of her particular trade. Once comfortable, she closes her eyes again and attempts to fall back into her slumber before reaching their destination.

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-05, 11:54 PM
Jasper

"Ah Brindol. Such a fascinating city! Over twenty-five thousand inhabitants! Did you know that gambling is strictly regulated there? Oh yes, some games are considered 'addictive'... I know right? Preposterous! Regalos Helmdaf runs the show. I understand his father Regis abdicated after falling ill. Their family has a strong military tradition, quite strong even by hobgoblin standards. I once visited the grand Oglethorp theatre, namded for Oglethorpe Ornsby himself, I tell you, those gnomes have the best theatre. Did I mention that I trained under some wonderful gnomish thespians? If you want to see some wonderful choreography though, you must visit Brindol Square early in the morning. The Colorguard performs some wonderful marching. Speaking of the military, I once met a member of their super secret Special Forces. Amazingly skilled those folks are, experts in stealth and reconnaissance, very humble and secretive though..." Jasper has to stop to catch his breath, looking like he is likely to pass out.

Stormwind
2012-08-06, 12:53 PM
As Jasper concludes his concise dialog of the fascinating elements of Brindol city, Ilmarinen comments wryly but with a certain amount of honest sincerity "You're a bubbling upspring of knowledge, and I must admit to my own ignorance of the most of what you just spouted off there ...", he pauses momentarily and then asks, "... but there is one point in particular that aroused my interest - You mentioned their secret special forces - Is there anything more that you might know about them? Most importantly who is in charge of their secret forces and what - if anything - is known of their political views and involvement?"

Psilulz
2012-08-06, 10:55 PM
Something catches the elf's eye, a humanoid figure moving in the woods...
"Hush, everyone. Someone stirs from the swamp..." she says quietly. She points in the direction of the person, keeping her hand low and covered by the wagon, so as not to alert the figure of its compromised position.

Stormwind
2012-08-07, 12:57 AM
Falling silent as he rides alongside the wagon, Ilmarinen glances towards the swamp ...Since it might matter, say that Ilmarinen is riding between the wagon and the swamp:
Perception (to spot whatever it was): [roll0]
Bluff (trying not to be obvious when glancing towards the swamp): 1d20-2 (DM roll)

Cleavon
2012-08-07, 01:49 AM
A moment after Amalody informs the party, the creature steps forward. You can see it's green skin is dark, and small fangs protrude from bottom jaw, pressing in against its top lip. Its mouth opens and it gasps, then slumps forward.

The bald headed green Hobgoblin before you seems not to move at all, and it leaks dark red blood into the dirt of the road. Blood is streaked down the Hobgoblins side, and stains into the leather armor he is wearing. The armor looks well made, and the dagger on his belt is of decent quality.

The source of his demise seems obvious: two crudely made arrows sticking out of his side. One of them is snapped close to the wound, the other still whole. Wilt stops the cart, with a grim look on his face and Tella averts her gaze, and hand over her mouth.

"Och, Khrona, see if you can tend to him, the rest keep your eyes open, we've no idea if he was followed. I didn't think we'd see anything strange this close to the trade roads..."

Stormwind
2012-08-07, 02:51 AM
Trusting to his companions to see to the hobgoblin, and knowing that there was nothing he could do to help, Ilmarinen dismounted and stepped forward to interpose himself between the hobgoblin and the swamp as he carefully scanned the swamp for anything hostile, drawing his chakram from his belt as he did so.
(move action) move forward to stand between the hobgoblin and the swamp
(free action) draw chakram
(standard action) Perception: [roll0]

{table=head] Ilmarinen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427988) | 49/49hp | AC24 | Effects: Ablative barrier(7hrs)
[/table]

Cleavon
2012-08-07, 03:42 AM
Ilmarinen
You see no other creatures in the scrub brush and stands of trees that separate the road from the Great Swamp. The only thing you can make out is the trail the Hobgoblin took. The leaves and bushes are spattered with his blood. It looks as if he stumbled his way out from deeper into the swamp.

Gorthok
2012-08-07, 05:50 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Jumping to her feet at the Mr. Councilmen's request, Khrona hurries to the side of the near-death hobgoblin. Slinging off her sash, she starts talking to herself in a fancy, poking parts here and prodding limbs there. Once done with the examination, Khrona looks around for a vial of dark green liquid. She finally notices about ten feet from where she is sitting and throws forward a curse to the spirits in her native tongue. Rushing to grab it, she hurries back to the ailing hobgoblin and administers the draught.

"Mr. Hobgoblin, drink this and you shall feel better." Khrona whispers in the poor being's ear.

Heal Check:
Determining the seriousness of the injuries and best course to follow in treating them.
Heal Check: [roll0]

Cleavon
2012-08-07, 06:28 PM
Khrona
The Hobgoblin is dead. Upon inspection you feel that his injuries would not have killed him, though he does look as if he has lost a very large amount of blood.

As you were looking him over and trying to find any sign of life you noticed that his eyes and lips had turned a slightly off color, a sure sign that the arrow that caused the wound was poisoned with Poisonous Toad venom.

(He died when his constitution dropped low enough to push him to more than -10 HP)

Angstrom
2012-08-07, 11:34 PM
Sweaty and already a little tired from the hard ride she took to catch up with her caravan, Heather is taken aback by the scene she finds. "What the blazes?" she whispers to herself as she kicks her mount forward towards where her companions are gathered.

Cleavon
2012-08-08, 03:15 PM
Finally getting the cart fully stopped, Wilt instructs his young ward to ready his crossbow. Tella does the same, and their two attendants step out and cover the sides of the wagon, peering off into the wooded areas on either side of the road.

Wilt steps down from the wagon and looks at the Hobgoblin, kneeling near Khrona.

"Indeed lass, it does look as if he's had a hard time just making it here. A shame it took him so long. We may have been able to help."

He shook his head as he stood and then looked back to the wagon. He turned and peered out where Amalody did, but is unable to see much of anything at all.

"Once we're sure we're in no danger, we can wrap him in a spare blanket...best to bring him along and turn him over to the guards at Brindol I might guess. Wouldn't do to leave one of their own here on the side of the trade road to rot."

Gorthok
2012-08-08, 06:15 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Once she leaned close to whisper to the dying hobgoblin, Khrona realized that he was not dying anymore but already dead. She looked over her shoulder and shook her head no to the rest of her group. Standing, She brushed off the front of her robes.

"Mr. Hobgoblin has passed to be with Lady Pharasma. I did notice that while his wounds were deep, they were not deep enough to kill him. Rather it was a poison that took away the last of his vitae at the end. From the evidence I saw, I'd have to say Poisonous Toad Venom was the poison of choice. Do you know any local tribes that use such a thing, Mr. Councilman?"

Cleavon
2012-08-08, 06:57 PM
Wilts eyes went wide and he shrugged his shoulders a bit. turning he smiled slightly at Tella, knowing she is unaccustomed to such sights.

"Sorry for you to have to see such Tella, but you are more versed in these areas than I...I know much of your studies in preparation for this were on the surrounding areas..can you perhaps shed any light on Khronas query?"

Tella pursed her lips, and her hands sat primly in her lap. She tilted her head and then gave a soft sigh.

"Unfortunately the only tribesmen that I am aware of that would be advanced enough to use such are the Myconids..and the fungus men use no poison outside of the spores that they sometimes emit..."

Wilt frowned a bit and turned back to the body. One of the attendants brought him the blanket, and a couple of rags to clean the blood from his armor a bit.

Jasper and Ilmarinen
The Hobgoblins armor is finely crafted. It is not the armor of a common man, but is well made and functional for hunting and skirmishes. It was most certainly made nearby by in Brindol, as they are the only nearby city capable of producing such fine leather. Such armors are often marked with a Markers mark and the mark of the proper owner.

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-08, 09:15 PM
Jasper

"Interesting, this armor is of fine craftsmanship. I would say that it was almost certainly made in Brindol. Let me take a look, he might have some identification, or at very least we can take a look at the makers mark. Perhaps they might know something about who he was."

Jasper moves over to the fallen Hobgoblin and looks over his armor, also checking the sheath and handle of his dagger, along with anything else that might have distinguishing markings.

Cleavon
2012-08-08, 09:58 PM
Jasper
His weapons have makers marks that you recognize as made by the Brindol Hunters Guild. His armor has a name plate inside the breastplate on the back, just under the collar it reads "Davros Fellblade"

Psilulz
2012-08-09, 12:05 AM
Amalody will remain silent and pull her bow out, all while looking for anything else that may come from the woods.

[roll0] Perception

Stormwind
2012-08-09, 12:39 AM
As the others examine the dead hobgoblin, Ilmarinen nods ever so slightly as Jasper speaks of the markings on the armor and weapons, and then he replies to Wilts earlier comment, "As far as I can tell, we are in no immediate danger. An assessment of his trail leads me to conclude that the unfortunate Hobgoblin came from somewhere deeper in the swamp. If we would know more of what attacked him we would have to follow his trail back into the swamp ..." he pauses and then looks at the two councilors, "... something that I am rather loath to do since our primary task is your safety"

Angstrom
2012-08-09, 01:07 AM
Heather dismounts as she reaches the group. Hearing Khrona's pronouncement she tucks the wand she holds away into her bracer and unconsciously begins to scowl.

"Who was he?" she asks Jasper as she turns away from the corpse.

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-09, 03:21 PM
Jasper

"It would seem that his name is Davros Fellblade. If we bring him back to Brindol for a proper fuleral, it would be best if we payed a visit to the Hunters Guild. His dagger bears their mark."

Cleavon
2012-08-09, 04:10 PM
Tella bids her attendants to get him wrapped up, not wishing to see the body laid out on the side of the road anymore. It isn't long before they get the hobgoblin properly taken care of, and loaded into the back of the wagon. Tella makes her way up to the front and sits with Wilt, while one of her attendants sits as close to them as possible in the wagon with his crossbow at the ready.

Wilt turns and sighs slightly. He regards Heather and Jasper as he checks the horses to make sure they are ready to get back on their way.

"Good to have you here Heather. I was concerned you wouldn't catch up with us before we reached Brindol. Glad to see you were able to ride straight away here. Well Jasper, we were most likely going to be going there before long anyway. The Hunters guild is one of the most prestigious organizations, and many of the cities officials are members of some rank."

Psilulz
2012-08-11, 02:06 AM
Amalody joins the others in the wagon, still keeping her bow out.
"We'd best move on. I, for one, do not want to end up like Davros."

Angstrom
2012-08-11, 02:51 AM
"Amalody has the right idea" Heather says as she vaults back atop her horse.

Cleavon
2012-08-11, 03:41 AM
Wilt takes stock of the wagon before climbing back up into the drivers seat, and a somber ride the rest of the way to Brindol begins. It starts to lightly rain as the journey nears its end. The great walls of Brindol appear on the horizon, and soon you are making your way up a slight incline towards the western gate to the city.

The Cities walls are tall, and seem to favor function over form. They do bear a regal quality to their adornments at the tops of the crenelations, a great hunting bird carved on every other one. The rest however is bare cold stone.

Upon reaching the gate Wilt stops the wagon at the guards behest and approaches to speak with them. Upon showing the letters with Helmsdafs mark, the guards seem to immediately become much more formal. Wilt returns to the wagon with one of the Hobgoblins, who seems to have a puzzled look on his face as he goes to the back of the wagon. Wilt turns to the rest of the entourage, a strange look on his face.

"Our friends here know Davros Fellblade...however they say he is safely inside the city walls, an instructor at the Hunters Guild. It seems we may have found the mans son..."

The Hobgoblin returns from inspecting the corpse, and with a grim look on his face nods to Wilt.

"Aye, that there is Flargen Fellblade. He and a group of young hunters went out a few days ago to patrol the swamps. His father Davros will be notified of his passing. I'll let him know his boys body is safely returned. The men here will see to the body."

The Hobgoblin seems slightly gruff in his taking in of the party. Who knows what he might think of you having a body. Three others come with a small stretcher to take Flargens body away, and you are allowed to enter the city.

The road you travel is wide, and the largest of buildings seems to be to your right. Wilt informs you that you are headed to that building, known only as The Grand Hall. It is the place where Regalos Helmsdaf sits upon his throne, and where all important matters are seen to.

After two intersections your wagon makes a small turn to the right and you pass before a large green. It is lush and verdant, with a single large tree in the center. It takes a moment to notice, but it is no ordinary tree. It seems to still be lush and living, but there are windows in the upper trunk, and what seems like a small wisp of smoke coming from one of them. Perhaps a cooking fire.

Once the wagon rolls up to the Grand Hall, several Hobgoblins approach to see to the wagon. Wilt and Tella disembark, to be greeted by an older looking Hobgoblin, who wears a pair of glasses pushed high up onto his nose. He clutches a ledger to his chest and has a dour look about him.

"Well met Wilt Badger, and always lovely to see one of the fairer folk..my pleasure Tella Vilron. Emperor Regalos awaits your arrival."

He gave a slight bow to Tella, and and outstretched hand to shake for Wilt, then turned his head to retard the party, his eyes taking in each of them...and perhaps not liking what he saw.

"I understand you had some trouble along the road...one of our boys found dead near the swamp. I thank you for bringing him back for proper burial. His father, Davros is at the Hunters Guild as you know, and has already put forth a summons. Perhaps your vassals here can answer it while you tend to the Emperor hmm?"

Wilt gives a nod to the man, and greets him properly before turning to the party.

"Well met Talkeeg. I am sure that can be arranged. The Hunters guild is just a stones throw from here. I am sure one of the attendants here can show you the way."

Map of Brindol

The Grand Hall- 17
Hunters Guild- 18
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/Brindol.jpg

Stormwind
2012-08-11, 05:09 AM
Ilmarinen stiffens slightly as the older Hobgoblin refers to him and his companions as 'vassals', but he nods politely to Wilt and replies, "If you don't require our presence whilst in the Grand Hall, then I'm sure we could go and speak to Davros Fellblade. Once we're done, should we return here and wait for you or should we see to accommodation whilst we are in the city?"

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-11, 05:07 PM
Jasper

"Oh yes! A visit to the Hunters Guild should prove most diverting and informative. I would love to speak to such a personage as Davros."

Cleavon
2012-08-12, 03:49 PM
Tella turns and gives the group a small smile. She has seemed to slip easily into a rigid and all business attitude.

"We'll be fine here. It may be hours before we seek out accommodations. If you could take care of that for us it would be delightful. I am sure any of Brindols lovely establishments will do. Send a page to the Grand Hall with the name of the Inn you so choose. In the mean time answer this summons and remember that you are representatives of the Conclave on your visit here."

She and Wilt enter the Grand Hall with Talkeeg, who gives the players one last leering glance over his spectacles.

Once the doors to the hall are closed, a young looking hobgoblin, wearing the coat of arms of the Brindol guard steps up, his helmet under one arm.

"Oy, Well met. Bound for the Hunters guild aye? You can see it from here practically. Come on. I'll show you to Davros."

The Hobgoblin waves a hand for you all to follow him at a leisurely pace down the street. You head eastward, and take a left at the first intersection. A long sweeping drive comes up to the Hunters guild. The rustic looking building stands out from the nice homes that are closest to it.

On reason is that they place is surrounded by training grounds. Archery, smithing, obstacle courses, fighting pits, jousting lanes...all right in the middle of this bustling city. A weaved metal fence rides the outer rim of the guilds property, coming to the end at the street entrance.

Your city guard escort makes his way into the building, and comes out only a moment later with a hobgoblin in leather armor. They seem to be speaking, and gesturing out towards the archery range. As they approach he claps the young hobgoblin next to him on the back.

"This here's Gorm. Old friend of mine. He says Davros is out on the archery course..he'll show you. I've got to get back to my post."

The young Hobgoblin gave a smile as his friend departed, a hand raised in a wave.

"Aye as he said, I'm Gorm. Your wagon and such can stay safely here. If you'll follow me?"

He swept a hand forward and then started toward the archery range, where a lone Hobgoblin shoots arrows down range at a target.

Stormwind
2012-08-13, 05:42 AM
Dismounting and leaving horse and wagon, Ilmarinen follows Gorm towards the archery range. Whilst walking Ilmarinen asks the young Hobgoblin, "Is that Davros on the range?"

(Assuming it is Davros)

Ilmarinen approaches, following Gorm, and then waits politely for Davros to finish shooting.

Sensing the reluctance of at least some of his companions to broach the subject and open the conversation, Ilmarinen steps forward and does so.

Though he is somewhat tactless, Ilmarinen is utterly genuine and without guile when he speaks, "I am called Ilmarinen, and I was one of those who found your son. I understand that you wished to speak to us. If there is anything you would know of the circumstances of your sons death, I would willingly tell the little that we know of it."

Cleavon
2012-08-13, 06:37 PM
Davros turns and gives a somber nod.

"Aye I'm Davros. I wanted to thank you for bringing back me boys remains. A friend at the Temple of the Three is taking a look at him for me, and preparing him for burial. Where abouts did you find him?"

The old Hobgoblin seemed rather forlorn, but he was also strong enough of character to bury it deep down. The grouping of his arrows could be testament to that.

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-14, 02:22 AM
Jasper

"I'm just glad we could help in some small way. I didn't know your son, or anything about the circumstances of his death, but there is one thing I know. He died with his boots on."

Diplomacy[roll0]

Gorthok
2012-08-14, 04:34 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Khrona took somber steps out to the archery range. After Ilmarinen broaches the subject of the gentleman's son, she speaks up with all of her knowledge.

"Mr. Davros, I was the acting physician on hand when your son stumbled into the trail ahead of us. While I cannot say why his injuries were caused, I am one hundred percent certain what caused his death were not those injuries. The tips of the arrows he was shot with had been coated with Poisonous Toad Venom. Seeing as he came from the direction of the deep wood, I would conclude that your son might of stumbled upon a wandering "native" of the swamp."

Cleavon
2012-08-14, 04:39 AM
Davros straightened up at what Jasper told him, and clasped one hand into a fist and slammed it against his heart, coming to attention.

"My boy loved being a ranger. I remember the first day he became a full fledged Hunter. He was proud, and I'm glad he was able to die doing what he loved."

He seemed to settle down a bit after that, and then nodded for the group to follow him. He took a skin from his belt, and uncorked it. Sitting down at the base of a large tree near the Archery range he offered the fine wine around as he listened to Khronas take on his sons wounds.

"I had wondered...though Posion extraction is rare in the swamp these days. The lizardfolk used it as a staple, but there are so few of them left that I wouldn't expect to see that sort of thing. I doubt it was any of the lesser races, but I wouldn't want to count them out completely. It pains me to know his killers are still running amok."

Stormwind
2012-08-14, 09:29 AM
Ilmarinen once again speaks up, "There was a clear trail where your son had left the swamp. At the time I wasn't able to follow it, the safety of our councilors being paramount. It was a fairly clear trail however, and I wouldn't envisage any difficulty there. I understand that he had companions with him when he left to patrol, though we saw no sign of them. Perhaps, if our councilors business with your emperor takes some time, we might help?"

Psilulz
2012-08-14, 07:44 PM
"Of course, some sort of compensation would be appropriate for doing this, do you not agree?" the elf butts in. "We would be risking our lives after all..."

Cleavon
2012-08-15, 02:14 AM
As he pondered the idea that Ilmarinen had brought up, he turned his eyes to Amalody and he seemed to be almost staring her down. Then his mouth cracked into a deep smile.

"Ah, you foreigners. Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "A Hobgoblin always pays his debts?" Help me put my curiosity about my boys demise to rest, and you'll find I can be quite helpful. The Hunters Guild is the chief manufacturer of enchanted Arms and Armor in Brindol, don't you know."

Angstrom
2012-08-15, 11:37 AM
Heather begins to chuckle to herself at this latest exchange but quickly stops when she remembers that Davros's son has just died.

"I believe we will be able to do as you wish. There may even be a chance that we can find your son's companions as well as his killers. With our councilors safe in the care of your Emperor's court I expect no delays to our search."

She then looks to her companions to hoping to find a consensus that they will take on this task for Davros, realizing the prestige that gaining a contract with a powerful hobgoblin organization can bring.

Cleavon
2012-08-15, 02:47 PM
Taking a short pull from his skin of wine, he handed it up to Gorm. Looking around the party for a moment he put his hands behind his head and leaned back against the tree.

"Now, if you do this for me, you can't simply march out into the swamp and then come back. We have strict rules here in Brindol, and in the surrounding lands. You can't just go out and destroy monsters in hopes of treasure, that is to say. It got this part of the world in enough trouble already."

He sat up then, and looked up at Gorm for a moment before continuing.

"There are permits that can be attained, though that could get your time out of the city to be accounted for. In fact, Gorm here is an accomplished ranger. One of his duties in his first year of Ranger service is to taking Hunting vouchers. I have the power to say, award your group a hunting trip, and the appropriate Permits, for bringing my son back to me. What do you say?]

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-15, 11:56 PM
Jasper

"Sounds like an enriching experience! Id love to see what a day in the life of a ranger is like!

Stormwind
2012-08-16, 07:27 AM
Ilmarinen nods quietly, "I would be glad to resolve this matter and determine the fate of your sons companions. Your assistance in organizing the permits will be invaluable and very much appreciated. With regards to the law of the land, it would definitely help if we had someone along to advise us."

Cleavon
2012-08-16, 02:43 PM
Standing slowly, Davros drained the rest of his wine skin, and tucked it back into his belt.

"Well, I don't think we should draw any attention by having you go out too soon. Gorm and I can get the permits ready, and I'll make sure Gorm is available for the next few days. Take care of your business here in the city, and when you get the chance to enjoy your hunting trip we'll have it waiting for you. Again I thank you for all you've done and are going to do for me and the memory of my boy."

Angstrom
2012-08-16, 07:25 PM
"I see, but for the sake of your son's companions I should hope we do not delay for too long. Perhaps tomorrow when our other arrangements have been made we can meet with Gorm or yourself to further prepare for this 'hunting trip'"

Cleavon
2012-08-17, 06:18 PM
"I'll have Gorm start the paperwork tonight, and when you're ready just come back and Gorm is sure to be about. I truly appreciate this. I'll take my leave now."

Davros bids you all farewell, and you are left there with Gorm. He graciously sees you back to your wagon, and assures you he is here whenever the Hunters Guild gates are open.

Gorthok
2012-08-18, 04:40 AM
EDIT: Double Post Baddie... Nothing to see here, Move Along.

Gorthok
2012-08-18, 04:42 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Letting go of a small sigh, Khrona stretches with her hands behind her, then turns and starts walking towards the wagon.

"Now that this business has been dealt with for today, I believe we should head to find a comfy inn to rest ourselves, yes?" She calls over her shoulder.

Stormwind
2012-08-18, 10:06 AM
As they returns to the wagon, Ilmarinen turns to Gorm and asks, "Can you recommend a good inn here in the city center? Probably a comfortable, if not luxurious, inn, as our councilors would be staying there too."

Cleavon
2012-08-18, 10:21 AM
Gorm thinks about it for a few moments, and then gives a shrug.

"Well, The Slumbering Giant is a bit more luxurious than the other Inns in the city. I like to get into my cups at The Wandering Flumpf, though. The Flumpf is a little more laid back. Both are fine choices though, I imagine.

Gorm speaks from his experience only. He has his own house, so he doesn't know how the rooms are.

Jasper
(You can't fail the Knowledge check...)
You happen to know that the Wandering Flumpf is frequented by many non hobgoblins. It is a favorite drinking establishment for many locals as well.

The Slumbering Giant is partially owned by a man named Anderson Crenshaw, who is a local brewer, and many finer spirits can be found there. The Giant is run by Rigby and Riley Hobnail, both Hobgoblins, and Riley has made it one of the nicest inns in Brindol.

Angstrom
2012-08-18, 08:21 PM
"Thank you Gorm, now we can recommend those to our councilors. Though we take our leave now, I expect you will see us again before too long."

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-19, 03:08 PM
Jasper

Back at the wagon...

"Both fine choices indeed. If we want to put our councilors up in the finest inn with the finest drinks in the city, The Giant is the place to go. The Flumpf has more non-hobgoblins that frequent it if we think that would make our councilors more comfortable."

Psilulz
2012-08-19, 11:15 PM
"I think we should investigate both. Security should be our first priority, however. Our job is to make sure the councilors are safe, after all."

Cleavon
2012-08-21, 05:47 AM
Jasper
The Slumbering Giant is at the corner of Welshire road and Boll Avenue(Number 2 on the map) and the Slumbering Giant is on Finch Street(Number 14 on the map)

Everyone
You all remember Tella mentioning to Wilt that their lodgings would all be free of charge, and that they simply had to choose an Inn to stay at and inform the owner there.

Cleavon
2012-08-22, 04:24 PM
The wagon driver, who was also Wilts attendant, smiled a little seeing the group paralyzed with indecision. He shrugged his shoulders and spoke up softly.

"I don't want to over step my bounds my friends, but it would seem to me that Wilt wouldn't mind either Inn, but Tella would feel better in comfort..perhaps we could take our things to the...Slumbering Giant...of which you spoke. Seems the best course."

He smiled a little as he brought the wagon to bear.

"I've got a map of the city here if need be, Wilt thought I might get lost running messages and the like..."

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-22, 06:14 PM
Jasper

"Ah a map should be most helpful. Perhaps I will have some time to explore the city a bit after we secure lodging."

Cleavon
2012-08-23, 06:24 AM
After a short amount of deliberation, and a little use of Jaspers knowledge coupled with the map that Wilt had given his attendant, you find yourself to the Sleeping Giant Inn. There arrangements are made, and your room and board are settled. Wilt and Tella have the two nicest rooms in the Inn, and there are two adjoining rooms that are for your party and the attendants.

Wilts attendant leaves with his missive to let Tella and Wilt know where they chose to stay. While he is gone the Sleeping Giants hostess, Riley Hobnail greets you and lets you know that she cannot wait to meet the foreign ambassadors.

You are treated to a meal, and drink if you so choose. The Tap master of the Slumbering Giant is a portly Hobgoblin named Rumbold Evershire. He greets you heartily and serves up the best foods he has, meats, cheeses, sausages, and the best wine the city has to offer. He is a chatty fellow, and seems to greatly enjoy his job.

Wilts Attendant returns, and has a cheerful look about him.

"Wilt and Tella are doing wonderfully I thought you should know. The City Guard are looking after them closely, and the Inns security will be stepped up while you are visiting the city. I took the liberty of letting them know of Davros' offer to you, I overheard you speaking of some sort of hunting trip. I hope I did not overstep my bounds. They bid me tell you that if you wish to partake in the local hunting traditions they can easily manage without your company for such a time."

He gives a light bow and heads to the table with the other attendants to take his meal.

Stormwind
2012-08-23, 01:13 PM
Not knowing the town, nor having enough knowledge of the inns in question, Ilmarinen simply follows along with the decision to take residence at the Sleeping Giant inn.

On arrival at the Inn, he happily partakes of the meats, cheeses and wines offered by Rumbold Evershire, and shortly thereafter is thoroughly engaged in conversation with the portly hobgoblin.

When Wilt's attendant arrives back some time later, Ilmarinen is still enjoying the high quality food and conversation. As the attendant departs for the attendants table, Ilmarinen comments to the others, "It seems that we have a splendid opportunity here, and I for one would be keen on making the most of it"

Ilmarinen is ready to depart whenever we decide to leave (perhaps the next morning)?

Angstrom
2012-08-23, 03:01 PM
Heather follows along as well, happy to let the others choose.

She nods at the elf's comment, "You're absolutely right, Ilmarinen. When the councilors arrive tonight we can tell them fully of our plans and hopefully leave early tomorrow. I intend to use the rest of the day preparing. If we are to make the most of it, as you say, I should like to be adequately equipped. The Hunter's Guild is prestigious and I certainly don't intend to botch what may be my only chance to impress them. If any of you need me to get anything or would like to request an infusion be prepared for you I would be happy to oblige" Heather says as she smiles at the table.

Thinking about adventure has, as it always does, gotten her excited. She feels her mind start to race and begins to review useful alchemical formulae. She knows from experience that she probably won't sleep much tonight.

Gorthok
2012-08-25, 12:28 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Following along in her own thoughts behind the rest of the group, Khrona accepts the offer of food and ale from Mr. Evershire after putting her things in the aforementioned room.

She finally speaks up when people start deciding what to tell the councilers in their care.

"I know I've been quite the somber one since our meeting with Mr. Davros, but I believe discretion would be our best course of action when detailing our future exploits to the Mr. and Miss Councilmen. While I don't think they would mind at our hunting trip, it would be a stark conquincidence that we were suddenly offered a guided hunt."

Cleavon
2012-08-25, 02:40 AM
Once morning comes, you find Wilt and Tella are already downstairs having breakfast. Four Hobgoblin guards stand near their table, watching over them. Once they have eaten and as they take their leave, they bid you safe travels on your trip and to bring back some good game, it may impress their hosts.

After breakfast is served to you all, you are free to make your way to the Hunters Guild, and Gorm is waiting at the front offices. Your horses are brought to you, saddled and fed and ready, and soon you are on your way out the gate with Gorm, heading towards the swamp.

"Seems likely that I'll have to ask the locals if they've seen anything..."

Gorm shrugged his shoulders a little bit as you ride along.

"I know enough of the more somber races...the Vegepygmies are the most prolific, so maybe they've seen Flargens companions."

Psilulz
2012-08-26, 12:47 AM
"I don't believe I've heard of these... Vegepygmies...They are peaceful?" Amalody scans about as they proceed along the road.

[roll0] Perception Check

Cleavon
2012-08-26, 04:01 AM
Gorm shrugged his shoulders a bit. The ride had taken a good bit of the six hours which brought you back to where the Hobgoblin was found. Gorm slipped down from his horse, and set about hitching his horse to a nearby stand of trees. The horses would be out of sight, and Gorm put a marker on the trunk of the tree.

Amalody
You don't see anything out of the ordinary on your travel down the road

"We can leave our mounts here, the swamp is no good for them anyway. The mark will keep them calm, ward off anyone too nosy. Old Hunters Guild trick, a bit of know how and a bit of magic."

After the horses were looked after, Gorm began to lead into the swamp. It was dry for the most part, then patches of standing water and muddy areas dotted the small stands of trees.

"As for the vegies...they're peaceful lot most of the time. They sometimes like to trade a bit, information or goods. They are self sufficient so they often only want things done for them or what have you. Who knows what they'll have to say."

Soon enough, you come around a small hillock and Gorm kneels down. He bids you stay where you are, and a small creature appears. It looks as if it is humanoid, but only about eighteen inches tall. It looks as if it is clothed, but closer inspection shows that it merely has higher concentrations of fungus growing on it in its pelvic region, and along its chest and arms. It carries a small spear with a sharp stone tip.

Gorm begins to converse with the thing in a guttural, growl filled language that seems to be rather hard on the ear.

Jasper
You recognize the language as Terran. Gorm asks the Vegepygmy if he has seen any Hobgoblins, and the Vegepygmy informs him that they saw some "Greenies" being chased a day or so ago. He tells Gorm to follow him, a friend of his at their village knows more."

Gorm rises and bids for the party to follow, the small creature leading the way.

Psilulz
2012-08-26, 04:58 PM
As the group progresses through the swamp, Amalody is careful not to step into too much mud, and is trying her best to stay as clean as possible. Obviously, this is a futile effort, but she feels she must try anyways.

Angstrom
2012-08-26, 06:39 PM
Mud and grime are unavoidable on any true adventure, and Heather knows this. Being in the wilderness, meeting mysterious creatures, not knowing where the trail leads... This was starting to feel like one the adventure stories she loved as a child. She begins to stare off into space and remember fireside tales as she listens to the rhythmic squelching of her feet as she trudges through the muck.

For the Vegepygmy; Knowledge (Nature): [roll0]

Cleavon
2012-08-26, 06:57 PM
Heather

The Vegepygmy are commonly called "Mold Men". They live in small tribal groups but there can be many tribes in one area. They are territorial, but generally not aggressive, given their small size.

Cleavon
2012-08-27, 08:09 PM
As you follow the little figure through the swamps, Gorm keeps his eyes sharp and seems to be scanning the area, almost as if he is a little worried. He turns his head, seeing the little Moldman having turned, and the creature stood staring back at the party. Gorm spoke softly.

"That isn't a good sign."

He begins to scan his eyes around the area, and then his gaze fixes on the mound in the middle of the small muddy clearing.

"I think...that mass of plant life over there is...moving."

As he says it, the Moldman scurries into a nearby tree. The mound of plantlife in the middle of the clearing heaves upwards and comes to life, two huge green moss covered tentacles swinging about as it's maw opsn in a silent roar.

Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/Tendriculous-1.png

Cleavon
2012-08-28, 04:04 PM
Ilmarinen

Ilmarinen moves to H13 and draws his Chakram.

Gamblerjoe
2012-08-30, 12:13 AM
Jasper

Jasper begins his inspiring oratory while drawing his crossbow and continuing to stand behind the party.

Inspire courage: +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

Cleavon
2012-08-30, 02:34 AM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/Tendriculous111.png

The plant monster shuffles forward, and it rears one huge tendril towards Gorm.

Attack!

Slam against Gorm.

[roll0]
[roll1]

If hit, Grab. Taking -20 to attempt to grapple Gorm without becoming grappled itself.

[roll2]

Gorm ducks the swinging tendril, and the monsters lets out a bubbly roar to indicate it's displeasure.

Stormwind
2012-08-30, 02:09 PM
With a flick of his wrist, Ilmarinen sends the circlet of metal spinning towards the tree creature, even as he draws his blade and steps around towards the creatures side.
The black blade of his scimitar almost seems to gleam eagerly in the dim light.Round 1
(standard action) throw Chakram: [roll0]; damage: [roll1]
(move action) draw scimitar
(free action) 5ft step to (G,12)

(free action) Knowledge(nature): [roll2] (max DC10 untrained)

Gorthok
2012-08-31, 01:57 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Surprised by the sudden mossy blob that has erupted infront of them, Khrona begins chanting in ancient tongues lost in time. Her robes blow around in an invisible wind that no one else feels. Upon the end of her chant, the group feels energized with speed and quickness!

Khrona moves foward to L14, then uses her revelation to cast lvl 7 haste on the party! Everyone is affected!

Gorthok
2012-08-31, 01:58 AM
Edit: Double Post Baddie

Gorthok
2012-08-31, 05:08 AM
Edit: Tri-tri-triple Post!!!

Angstrom
2012-08-31, 03:38 PM
Heather feels the magic surge through her and giggles. "Protect our guide," she calls to her companions, "I'll get behind it". She steps away from her companions as she hurriedly pulls a flask from one of the pouches on her belt, draining it in one go.

Her body begins to warp and change as the magic takes hold. She clutches her head in her hands as feathers fall haphazardly from her skin and her face narrows and elongates into the beaked visage of a hawk. Her fingers extend as her arms become large wings, and powerful talons tear through her muddy foot-wraps. The gemstone on the choker around her neck crackles with arcane energy and her giggling turns into a cawing that seems to echo with two voices.

As she rises to her full height a shower of feathers falls around her. "This thing ain't seen nothin' yet"

5ft step to 14J, move action to draw mutagen, standard to drink it.

Psilulz
2012-08-31, 06:09 PM
Amalody will charge to square J11, drawing her thinblade during the movement, and take a swing at the large beast. She would not like to lose the guide, especially on their first day out.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit Conf

[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit Dmg

[roll4] Sneak Attack Damage

If it is affected by SA, it takes a -2 to hit me for [roll5] rounds, and I gain a +2 bonus to dodge AC for a round.

Edit: Attack roll should be 1 higher due to haste.

Gamblerjoe
2012-09-02, 01:52 PM
Jasper

Jasper fires his crossbow at the plant monster. He stays where he is and reloads another bolt.

HP: 52/52
Performance: 25/27
Spells: 6/6/4/2

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1], piercing
Current Performance
Inspire Courage: +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls

Cleavon
2012-09-02, 05:30 PM
Gorm

Gorm takes a Five foot step to L10, and begins to draw arrows, loosing them at the creature, even amongst it's flailing tentacles.

Attack!
Full Attack, with Manyshot. Four attacks with haste. Provoke from Plant Monster.

attack1
[roll0]

damage
[roll1]
[roll2]

attack2
[roll3]

damage
[roll4]

attack3
[roll5]

damage
[roll6]

attack4
[roll7]

damage
[roll8]

AoO
Tentacle on Gorm

attack
[roll9]

damage
[roll10]

If hit, Grab

Attempt Grapple:

[roll11]

Cleavon
2012-09-02, 05:41 PM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/Round2.png

Amalody runs her thinblade into the creature, but she can't seem to find any particularly vulnerable spots on the beast. The Chakram and crossbow quarrel sailing through the air and into the things hide as well. Gorm dodges a swinging tentacle, but it puts him off balance and his arrows fly wide of the monstrous beast.

The Vegepygmy goes paralyzed with terror as he sees the giant creature in action, and then sees Heather burst into her winged beast like form. He scurries further up the tree he has chosen to hide in, clutchig the top as he watches the action.

Your weapons prod and pierce the hulking creature, and it's gurgling roars show that you are indeed hurting the thing. It's mossy hide shifts and contorts though, and some signs of your weapons marks on the creature fade into it's body.

Two large rope like vines shoot forward out of the nearby tree, each acting independently of the other. One lashes out at Ilmarinen, and one at Jasper.

The great mossy creature surges forward and lashes both tentacles out, one at Gorm and one at Amalody, it's gaping maw coming forward towards Amalody as well.

Monsters!

Tentacle and Bite at Amalody:

Tentacle attack
[roll0]

Tentacle damage
[roll1]

Grab
[roll2]

Bite attack
[roll3]

Bite damage
[roll4]

Grab
[roll5]

Tentacle against Gorm

Tentacle attack
[roll6]

Tentacle damage
[roll7]

Grab
[roll8]

Vine at Ilmarinen

Vine attack
[roll9]

Vine damage
[roll10]

Grab
[roll11]

Vine at Jasper

Vine attack
[roll12]

Vine damage
[roll13]

Grab
[roll14]

The mossy beast snaps it's jaws and flails it's tentacles, but Amalody and Gorm are able to keep just a bit quicker than the beast.

Jasper reacts quick enough to not feel the sting of the vines lash, but Ilmarinen is caught by just enough of a surprise, and he feels the vine attempt to whip it self about him. it';s lash stings, but the vine does not take hold of him.

Ilmarinen
You take a vicious lash from the vine, 11 damage.

Gamblerjoe
2012-09-02, 11:04 PM
Jasper

Jasper quickly leaps back in shock and stops his performance. He begins casting a spell.

Performance: 25/27
Spells: 6/6/3/2

Casting mirror image.
Defensive Cast: [roll0]
3 images of jasper appear next to him, dancing around and making it impossible to tell which is the real one.

Current Performance (1 round left)
Inspire Courage: +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls

Cleavon
2012-09-03, 03:49 AM
Updated Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/Round2fixed.png

Stormwind
2012-09-03, 05:46 AM
Stepping forward, Ilmarinen casts and images of himself surround him making it impossible to distinguish the real elf. He then strikes twice with his black scimitar at the large creature before him.
Round 2
(swift action) Enhance weapon [-1AP] (Black blade +3 keen)
(free action) 5ft step to (G,11)
(full round action) Spell combat:
Cast mirror image (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mirror-image) (Concentration [roll0] vs DC19 to cast defensively), [roll1] images
Attack vs Plant creature: [roll2] (crit range 15-20); damage: [roll3]
Attack(haste) vs Plant creature: [roll4] (crit range 15-20); damage: [roll5]
(note that the optional +5 to concentration and -5 to attacks from spell combat are included above)

Hit points: 43/49 (5 non-lethal)
AC 25
Speed 60ft
Arcane pool [6/7]

Effects:
Ablative barrier (7 hours)
Enhance weapon (10 rounds)
Haste (6 rounds)
Mirror image (7 minutes)

Angstrom
2012-09-04, 09:59 PM
Heather crouches low, and with a powerful flap of her wings bursts into a sprint. She dashes past her elven companions, wings extended behind her, and runs along the side of the beast before flapping her wings again to pivot behind it and spin a taloned foot around in a slashing arc.

Move to 7H, Attack: [roll0], [roll1] + AoMF[roll2]electric + Sneak Attack[roll3]

As her talon rips into the monster she let's loose a delighted shriek (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2B9lpjd9Q).

Gorthok
2012-09-05, 07:24 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

With the sudden appearance of the smaller tentacles bursting out from the trees, Khrona moves to assist Jasper with his new quarry.

"I'm coming to help Mr. Jasper!" Khrona calls before letting flow a burst of magic into the wriggling mass of plant. The shockwave from the magic leaves the air around her cold and smelling of ozone.

Upon touching the tentacle, vivid black cracks shoot through it. The tentacle recoils from the force.

Khrona 5ft steps to M13, and casts Inflict Moderate Wounds upon the tentacle.

Concentration to Cast Defensively - DC: 19 - [roll0] (d20 + Caster Level + Modifier of Casting Stat)
Melee Touch Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Psilulz
2012-09-05, 10:52 PM
Amalody continues her assault on the large monstrosity, trying to create some sort of opening in its defense before she strikes.

[roll0] Feint

[roll1] Vital Strike
[roll2] Crit Conf

[roll3] Damage
[roll4] Crit Dmg
[roll5] Sneak Atk Dmg

Cleavon
2012-09-06, 02:56 AM
A Tentacle whips out at Heather as she moves by the creature.
AoO for moving by. A Tentacle swings towards Heather.

Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Grab
[roll2]

The tentacle whips out and catches Heather firmly, striking directly across her chest with a loud thwack.

Heather
Critically hit for 9 damage. (4 if 22 doesn't confirm. I think it does though)

Cleavon
2012-09-06, 04:16 AM
Gorm

The beast heaves about, and Gorm fires his volley into it again.

Attack!

attack1
[roll0]

damage
[roll1]
[roll2]

attack2
[roll3]

damage
[roll4]

attack3
[roll5]

damage
[roll6]

attack4
[roll7]

damage
[roll8]

Cleavon
2012-09-06, 04:24 AM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/Round3.png

As the beast lurches about, swinging it's tentacles wildly it is able to get an excellent swat at Heather as she moves about in her feathered form. It does not stop her though, and as she gets to the back of the beast one of her clawed hands rips into the thing. It heaves upwards, and then slumps forward. A long slimy appendage pokes out and along the bottom of its mouth, the approximation of what you can only think would be a tongue. The beast moves no more.

The combined efforts of Ilmarinen, Heather and Amalody having destroyed the great green hulk, the smaller vines continue their assault as if unafraid of the consequences. One continues it's assault on Ilmarinen, the other sweeps forth at Khrona, having felt the sting of her spell.

Monsters!

Attack on Khrona

Damage on Khrona
[roll1]

Possible Grab on Khrona
[roll2]

Attack on Ilmarinen
[roll[1d20+7

Damage on Ilmarinen
[roll3]

Grab on Ilmarinen
[roll4]

Khrona feels the sting of the vine as it whips out at her, it's tendrils tangling about her blue skinned arms, and around her throat. She is now in a struggling lock with the beast.

Khrona
13 damage. Khrona is now grappled by the Vine.

Ilmarinen is able to deftly dodge the strike of the angry vine once again.

Angstrom
2012-09-06, 06:07 PM
"The swamp should know better than to try and hunt me"

Heather launches herself over the crumpled heap of the fallen plant towards the vines that thrash at Ilmarinen. With a few powerful flaps, she flies behind the vines and maneuvers to kick as she drops to the ground, to slicing at the vines.

move to 13F and attack
[roll0] (includes flanking this time)
[roll1] + [roll2]electric + [roll3]sneak attack

Stormwind
2012-09-07, 01:53 AM
Flanking the vine creature, Ilmarinen strikes with his black scimitar at the creature before him.
Round 2
(swift action) Arcane strike
If Vine creature at (H,11) is dead, then
(move action) Move to (O,11) (moving around to avoid AoO's)
(standard action) Attack vs Vine creature: [roll0] (crit range 15-20); damage: [roll1]
If Vine creature at (H,11) is alive, then
(full round action) Spell combat:
Cast arcane mark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-mark) (Concentration [roll2] vs DC17 to cast defensively)
Spellstrike attack vs Vine creature: [roll3] (crit range 15-20); damage [roll4]
Attack vs Vine creature: [roll5] (crit range 15-20); damage [roll6]
Attack(haste) vs Vine creature: [roll7] (crit range 15-20); damage [roll8]

Hit points: 43/49 (5 non-lethal)
AC 25
Speed 60ft
Arcane pool [6/7]

Effects:
Enhance weapon [Black blade +3 keen] (9 rounds)
Haste (5 rounds)
Mirror image [3 images] (7 minutes)

Cleavon
2012-09-07, 01:58 AM
The Vine creatures shudder and drop, the one on Khrona going slack when it's main vine is severed, and the other destroyed by the talons of Heathers hawk like foot.

The vegepygmy climbs out of the tree and approaches Gorm carefully, not coming too close to Heather in the process. They speak for a few moments.

Gorm nods and once the party has healed themselves if they wish, you continue on into the swamp for another half an hour of walking or so. You arrive at what looks like a beaver dam across a body of water, but it seems it is a colony of Vegemygmies.

Your little guide goes inside and soon another, taller Vegepygmy comes out to speak with Gorm.

Jasper
They converse in Ignan. The Vegepygmy thanks Gorm for having your party kill the monster, as it had been wandering near their village for some time. He provides the location of what you can only figure are some ruins(He describes them as old man made caves) and then tells Gorm that he has seen the "uglies" that live there be taken by "Scalies". He mentions then that the people you are looking for may have shared the same fate.

Angstrom
2012-09-07, 11:36 AM
Heather stands over the shredded mass of vines panting for a while before looking up at her companions. Though hard to detect under the feathers, he faces flushes red. Bending her legs and extending her wings once more she launches into the air, flying out of sight above the canopy.

In less than a minute Heather appears from behind a tree; now that she's human once more the red on her cheeks is easily visible. Her footwraps remain torn and a few stray feathers are caught in her clothing but otherwise she appears as she was before.

"Um... Are we alright? Shall we go?" she asks as Gorm finishes his conversation with the Vegepygmy. Her voice much quieter now, "Are you hurt, Gorm?"

When they reach the dam, she has calmed down enough to be acting like her normal self, willing to talk with her companions again, and questions Gorm about the flora and fauna. She watches the Vegepygmies from the colony with interest, making mental notes about how she is going to tell her friends back in Saltmire about this.

Wand of CLW [roll0], drink Extract of Disguise Self, and Perception from the flight [roll1]

Gamblerjoe
2012-09-09, 02:36 AM
Jasper

Jasper turns to the party to translate. "He's thanking us for killing the monster, it seems its been wandering close to their village... Now hes giving Gorm directions to some sort of ruins. He says that the lizardfolk there have been abducting the current inhabitants. Seems like a good lead."

Cleavon
2012-09-09, 02:49 AM
Gorm approaches again as Jasper finishes up his interpretation of the conversation. He is indeed correct about the matter.

"We should try and get in some hunting on the way through. I know a spot where we can bag some giant toads. Meat is good eating and the hides are used to make leather armor. They fetch an all right price. Best to get it out of the way.

Hunting Roll
[roll0]

Gorm and the party obtain 175 Gp worth of Giant Frog meat and skins.

Once the hunting is completed, and Gorm has packed everything up in his large sack for carrying, he leads on towards the ruins. It takes much of the rest of the day to arrive there. The swamp opens up a bit in this area, and you see the base of an old crumbling tower among a clearing. A large stream trickles past the ruin on your right, and deep wallows of mud dot the landscape.

Gorthok
2012-09-09, 09:00 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Stumbling out of the brush in a most clumsy way, Khrona stands and straightens her robes. She frowns behind her veil at the giant toad entrails that now cover her boots and gloves. Looking up, she sees the crumbling tower and blinded by a searing pain behind her eyes.

As quickly as the pain swept over her, it disappears into nothing. However, now Khrona can sense everything around her. The scents seem sharper, the colors brighter, and this place seems somewhat "familar".

Using Location Memories.

Gives Khrona +2 on Perception and Survival Checks, Scent, and Low-light vision for the next minute.

Angstrom
2012-09-09, 11:01 PM
Heather perks up at the mention of ruins, but her excitement quickly dissipates when Gorm brings up hunting toads. As the group nears Gorm's hunting site she has him point out a suitable clearing where she can rest until the hunt is over. She takes the opportunity to eat as well as prepare additional alchemical extracts. When the group returns, they find the clearing stinking of brimstone and her fire still burning. Heather hurriedly packs her gear and offers to help carry any of the toads as she joins Gorm at the front of the party.

"This is so Desnamn-cool!" Heather exclaims when she sees the ruins. She starts to walk towards them, but stops and turns around to face the party "Should I check it out from above first? Look for Lizardfolk or any monsters that could be living here I mean" she asks as unclips a vial from her belt. "I mean, only if you think its a good idea. Someone can come with me if they'd like."

Stormwind
2012-09-10, 02:02 AM
Ilmarinen happily participates in the hunting, and although his own skills are way surpassed by Gorm's own, he contributes as he is able.Assisting with the hunting:
Ilmarinen does have survival (albeit only 1 rank): [roll0]
Cast Prestigitation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/prestidigitation) to 'clean up' afterwards

As the group proceeds, Ilmarinen loosens his blade in its sheath and looks carefully around, particularly as the ruins come into sight.
Approaching the ruins:
Knowledge(geography): [roll1]
Knowledge(history): [roll2]
Knowledge(nature): [roll3]
Perception: [roll4]

Psilulz
2012-09-10, 05:17 AM
While the thought of mucking about a swamp killing giant toads isn't exactly thrilling, but the thought of extra pay is. "Let's get this over with..."

When the party approaches the ruins, Amalody becomes a deal more cautious. Ruins have nasty reputations of being home to more than old stones...

[roll0] Perception Check

Cleavon
2012-09-10, 03:32 PM
Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/Mongrelman0.png

As you approach, you can see the old ruin is crumbling badly, and it used to be some sort of tower. The land around it is some of the most solid you've seen in the swamp thus far, and the water that runs nearby is deeper than expected as well.

After your inspection of the place at a distance, you see nothing out of the ordinary. Patches of mud dot the landscape around the tower, and they indeed look thick and uninviting to traveling through them.

Ilmarinen
Your knowledge checks tell you little, though your knowledge of Geography tells you that this spot was manufactured. Before this tower was constructed some excavation and moving of soil was required to make a base for it.

Everyone
The Brown squares are thick mud, and count as Difficult terrain for movement purposes.

Gamblerjoe
2012-09-12, 05:23 PM
Jasper

"Oh my how facinating! There must be an absolute world of mysteries to uncover here!"
Jasper begins to gaze in awe, his attention focused on the ruins, and not really paying much attention to his surroundings or companions.

Angstrom
2012-09-12, 05:37 PM
"Well I suppose if there are lizardfolk here it wouldn't be a bad idea to be ready for a struggle" Heather says as she plops down on the ground and quickly sorts through some of her vials and jars. She spreads nine out on the ground in front of her. "I'll just be a few seconds, tell me if something happens. Oh, Amalody and Ilmarinen, I made something for you both since I know elves don't like going underground; it'll help if we run into a fight." she states as she rolls two of the glass vials and two of the clay ones towards them.

Though her comment may been worded poorly, she is completely genuine and her tone of voice indicates that she isn't aware she just negatively stereotyped her companions. She turns back to her spread and drinks from four of the vials. Beyond an initial shimmer of light that spreads across her body as she drinks the first of the extracts she doesn't appear physically changed. She hangs the four on a loop on her belt and awkwardly picks up the last one with both hands.

"So," she asks as she rises to her feet, "shall we look for some missing goblins?"

Two extracts of heroism with a 70min duration, two extracts of shield with a 7min duration. Infusion means people other than me can use them.

Cleavon
2012-09-12, 06:51 PM
The swamp seems oddly still as Heather gives out her alchemical bounty. You can almost feel how thick the air hangs around this place, as it grows toward night the swamp seems much more ominous while looking at these ruins.

As the ruins are so perused by the party, they seem rather lifeless and barren for the most part. When a few steps forward are taken though, a tingle seems to hit the back of each persons neck. After there is a crackle heard, audible to everyone.

When the sensation fades, your vision picks up swirling and bubbling in the nearby puddles of mud, and forms rise out of them. They are bulky figures that seem to be made primarily of the muck that they are coming out of. A booming voice echoes out from each of them.

"WHO GOES"

The bulky figures rear up and seem as if they are going to advance upon you.

Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/MongrelmanRound0.png

Angstrom
2012-09-14, 02:26 AM
"Aah!" Heather exclaims as she makes a panicky leap through the air, flapping her arms as she goes. "Um, we're friends. We're just looking for someone" she calls down when she has landed atop the wall of the ruined building.

Move to G10, ready standard action to consume held extract if the beasts attack anyone. Ready free action to yell "Get inside!" at Gorm if the monsters attack

Gamblerjoe
2012-09-14, 09:28 PM
Jasper

"Oh, well you see, we heard that the folks here were having some trouble. We've come to investigate the disappearance of some of the denizens here."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Gorthok
2012-09-16, 10:26 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Khrona is peering around the tattered structure and such, attempting to remember anything familiar about the area. She is about to step forwards to the building when the mud pits spring to life!

No action this round, too surprised by the sudden appearance of the monsters!

Psilulz
2012-09-19, 04:58 AM
Amalody readies her weapon at the sight of the guards, ready in case of attack.

Readying an action to charge if/when the guardians decide to attack.

Stormwind
2012-09-19, 06:16 AM
Ilmarinen draws his blade as he steps forward, the black blade of his scimitar seems to gleam eagerly in the dim light, even as he takes an entirely defensive stance.Preparation
(move action) draw scimitar (during preparation)
(free action) 5ft step to (I,14)
(free action) Knowledge(arcana): [roll0] (to identify what on earth these creatures are)
(free action) Knowledge(planes): [roll1] (to identify what on earth these creatures are)

Round 1
(free action) 5ft step to (I,13)
(swift action) Enhance weapon [-1AP]
(standard action) Total defense (+4 dodge bonus to AC)

Arcane pool [5/7]

Effects
Enhance weapon [Black blade +3 keen] (10 rounds)

Cleavon
2012-09-20, 05:28 AM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/MongrelmanRound1_zpsfd30c212.png

Upon hearing Heathers command, and figuring that being further away from these monstrosities would be best, Gorm runs into the doorway and turns with his bow at the ready. He notices something scurry away into the stairwell.

"There was something in here! I ran when it saw me, down the stairs. Small and wearing a heavy cloak! I didn't see what it was."

Heather sees the battle unfold in front of her, the mud elementals moving their way towards the party, and swinging their big club like fists. It appears that your answers to their simple question were not the ones they wanted.

One of them moves forward towards Jasper and Amalody, but is interrupted by Amalodies charge. Two advance on Ilmarinen, but only one takes a swing at her, the other plodding along through the mud, and taking a much longer time getting to her. The farthest elemental trudges forward through the swampy muck, a mindless expression on its dripping face.

Attack!

One attack on Ilmarinen.

[roll0]

[roll1]

If hit, DC 17 or become entangled.

Ilmarinens preparedness allows her to easily dodge the ponderous blow of the elemental.

Amalody
Go ahead and make your charge attack, then take your normal action for the round. You essentially interrupted his movement towards Jasper.

Stormwind
2012-09-20, 12:02 PM
Even as he takes a more offensive stance, Ilmarinen casts, causing electricity to engulf his black blade and he strikes swiftly twice against the elemental as he calls to the others, "Take cover in the ruins. I'll hold them here"Round 2
(swift action) Arcane strike (+2 damage; 1 round)
(full attack action) Spell combat/Spellstrike vs Elemental at (j-k,14-15)
(Attack) Black blade [roll0] melee [roll1] (crit 15-20)
(Spellstrike) Cast Shocking grasp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shocking-grasp); Concentration [roll2] vs DC 17 for casting defensively
(Spellstrike attack) Black blade [roll3](confirm (1d20+12)[26] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13928555&postcount=137)) melee [roll4] + [roll5] electric (crit 15-20) (+crit damage (1d6+11)[13] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13928555&postcount=137) + (7d6)[32] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13928555&postcount=137) electric)

Arcane pool [5/7]

Effects

Angstrom
2012-09-20, 11:09 PM
Heather drinks from the vial in her hands when the elementals attack her companions, shedding her illusory disguise as she grows to a height matching that of the guardians.

"Jasper, Khrona, protect Gorm. We will hold them at the door." she screeches as the blood starts to pump in her temples and her entire body pulses with a familiar presence.

Unwilling to let the elf fight three of the elementals alone, she leaps down from her perch to put herself between the elemental and the door; slashing at the nearest guardian as she does so.

Readied use of extract of enlarge person.
move to g-h, 11-12
attack: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]electric

Gamblerjoe
2012-09-26, 04:15 PM
Jasper

Skirting the reach of the mud men, Jasper runs into the temple and stands beside Gorm. "I dont think they're listening, looks like we've got a fight on our hands."

Gorthok
2012-09-29, 05:26 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Following closely behind Jasper, Khrona runs to the rundown tower and prepares for a vicious fight!

Double move to E9, avoiding all AOOs possible

Cleavon
2012-10-01, 04:03 PM
Gorm

Gorm lets arrows fly at the Mudman that Amalody is fighting, covering Jasper and Khronas flight into the building.

Attack!
Deadly Aim active, Rapid Shot.

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Attack2
[roll2]

Damage2
[roll3]

Attack3
[roll4]

Damage3
[roll5]

Amalody

Amalody full attacks the mudman, after interrupting it's movement with her readied charge.

Charge!

Charge attack from readied action.

[roll6]

[roll7]

Full attack against Mudman

Attack1
[roll8]

Damage1
[roll9]

Attack2
[roll10]

Damage2
[roll11]

Cleavon
2012-10-01, 04:15 PM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/MongrelmanRound2.png

Allof the stalwart fighters were able to make the monsters rear in pain, Gorm and Amalody scoring together the most grievous hits on their muddy monstrosity. Ilmarinen scored a great hit, but the things gloopy mes of a body absorbed the worst of the blow. Heathers claws tear into the muddy flesh of the creature before her, her larger form now on par with the size of the thing before her.

The Mudmen lash out with their ponderous fists at the three attacking them, and it is obvious they do not have a sense for tactics, as they continue to leave one of their comrades out of reach of the attackers.

Attack!

Attack on Amalody.

[roll0]

[roll1]

(DC 17 reflex or entangled on hit)

Attack on Heather

[roll2]

[roll3]

Attack on Ilmarinen

[roll4]

[roll5]

The mudman in front of Amalody manages to clip her on the shoulder but her impeccable balance keeps her from being covered in the muddy goo that drips from the things pummeling fists.

Ilmarinen gets caught by a lucky blow, the thing smashing him square in the chest. Mud drips forth towards the man from the things fists, threatening to hamper his movements.

Heather is able to keep her attacker at bay for now.

Amalody
Take 11, you passed your reflex save.

Ilamrinen
Take 14, the monster did not confirm his critical threat. Make a reflex save versus being entangled in a muddy mess.

Stormwind
2012-10-02, 06:37 AM
Reflex vs Entanglement(DC17): [roll0] (Fail)

Entangled: The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell.

Ilmarinen fails to avoid entanglement but he still proceeds to retaliate with spell and blade against the same elemental.

Round 3
(full attack action) Spell combat/Spellstrike vs Elemental at (j-k,14-15)
(Attack) Black blade [roll1](-4 entangled) melee [roll2](-2 entangled) (crit 15-20)
(Spellstrike) Cast Shocking grasp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shocking-grasp); Concentration [roll3] vs DC 17 for casting defensively
(Spellstrike attack) Black blade [roll4](-4 entangled) melee [roll5](-2 entangled) + [roll6] electric (crit 15-20)

Arcane pool [5/7]

Effects
Enhance weapon [Black blade +3 keen] (8 rounds)

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-03, 12:00 AM
Jasper

"These ruffians shant muddy up our plans!" Jasper continues his inspiring oratory.

Performance: 24/27
Spells: 6/6/3/2

Current Performance
Inspire Courage: +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls

Angstrom
2012-10-03, 01:32 AM
Heather sees the party retreating into the ruins and follows.

She steps to cover Amalody's position and tears into the elemental with her talons before delivering a brutal gouge with her beak. A scream, much louder than before, erupts from her beak as she rips free of the mud and the world goes red at the corners of her vision.

Full Attack:
Talon: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]
Talon: [roll3], [roll4]+[roll5]
Beak: [roll6], [roll7]+[roll8]

5ft step to f-g, 11-12 and full attack Amalody's opponent.
In her last turn Heather moved to g-h, 11-12, but the map shows her at h-j. She was actually flanked last turn and wants to drop Amalody's elemental to prevent future advantages to the elementals. She was able to attack the elemental anyways with reach from enlarge person.

Gorthok
2012-10-09, 11:03 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Seeing people getting hurt, Khrona begins to chant in a language long gone from this lane. At the end of the chanting, she throws her hands out in front of her and opens her milky white eyes wide as all the beings in front of her are doused in colorful glows.

Casting Deathwatch as a spell-like ability. Please denote auras as follows. White: Healthy(full hp) Blue: Fighting off Death (4 or more HP) Red:Fragile (3 or Less HP) Black: Dead Grey: Undead Brown: Non-living (Constructs and such)

Deathwatch: 700 Rounds/ 70 Minutes

Cleavon
2012-10-10, 05:59 AM
Amalody

As Heathers claws and beak tear her opponent into a gooey mess which slowly melts into a pool of mud, Amalody turns and charges the closest opponent.

Charge!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Gorm

Gorm continues his volley from just inside the door, attacking the easiest target to see, the same as Amalody just charged.

Full Attack!
Deadly Aim active
Attack 1
[roll2]

Damage 1
[roll3]

Attack 2
[roll4]

Damage 2
[roll5]

Attack 3
[roll6]

Damage 3
[roll7]

Cleavon
2012-10-10, 06:05 AM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/MongrelmanRound3.png

The Mudman in front of Amalody falls to Heathers claws, and the one Amalody charged felt the sting of her blade, as well as Gorms arrows thudding into its muddy hide.

Khronas spell reveals information about the health of the combatants to her as Jaspers inspiring oration gives the party new insight into the battle.

The Mudmen continue their assault, relentless speaking in their baritone voices.

WHO GOES

Attack on Ilmarinen!

[roll0]

[roll1]

Attack on Amalody!

[roll2]

[roll3]

Amalody carefully dodges the blow from the creature, and Ilmarinen is able to keep the mudman in front of him at bay, even with the mud still caked onto his form.

Angstrom
2012-10-10, 09:58 PM
Mud flies from her beak as she whips around to face the remaining elementals. With singular fury she tears into the elemental before her.

5ft step, full attack
Talon: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]
Talon: [roll3], [roll4]+[roll5]
Beak: [roll6], [roll7]+[roll8]

Stormwind
2012-10-11, 03:12 AM
Removing the mud, Ilmarinen once again proceeds to retaliate with spell and blade against the same elemental.

Round 4
(Entangled)
(full attack action) Spell combat/Spellstrike
(Attack vs mud) Black blade [roll0] melee [roll1] (crit 15-20) vs Mud (Hardness 5, HP 10) -> Mud removed
(Entangled)
(Spellstrike) Cast Shocking grasp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shocking-grasp); Concentration [roll2] vs DC 17 for casting defensively
(Spellstrike attack vs Elemental at (j-k,14-15)) Black blade [roll3] melee [roll4] + [roll5] electric (crit 15-20)

Finally, just after his turn ends,
(immediate action) Spell shield: +5 shield bonus to AC [1AP] (until the end of his next turn)

Arcane pool [4/7]

Effects
Spell shield [+5 shield AC] (end of next round)

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-14, 05:52 AM
Jasper

"Who goes? Something doesn't seem right about this. Khrona, do you have any knowledge of these muddy guardians? If only we knew what answer they were looking for." Jasper stops his inspiring oratory and begins to cast a spell.

Performance: 24/27
Spells: 6/6/2/2(6/6/4/2)

Casting Ancestral Communion to try to figure out what response they are looking for (with a +6 bonus). Knowledge Local: [roll0]

Current Performance (2 rounds remaining)

Gorthok
2012-10-18, 08:58 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Noticing the wounds and light bluish hue of both Ilamrinen and Amalody... Khrona conjures forth a bit of healing magic for Ilamrinen.

Cast Cure Light Wounds on Ilamrinen. Then move to look down the cellar staircase with Deathwatch.

Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

Cleavon
2012-10-19, 02:58 AM
Amalody

Amalody attacks the severely weakened mudman in front of her, then steps up side by side with Ilmarinen.

Attack!

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

[roll3]

Cleavon
2012-10-19, 03:01 AM
Gorm

Taking a step out to get a more clear view of the final remaining enemy, his arrows fly through the melee with uncanny accuracy, threading the needle and striking at the mudman with ease.

Attack!

5 foot step and full attack, deadly aim active, rapid shot.

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

[roll3]

[roll4]

[roll5]

Cleavon
2012-10-19, 03:06 AM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/MongrelmanRound4.png

Heathers claws tear into the muddy beast in front fo her, and Ilmarinen is easily able to remove the mud that caked to his armor and clothing. Arrows streak in and the vicious pokes of the blade Amalody wields see another two of the wounded creatures fall. Gorms arrows find purchase on the fresh enemy, as well as one of Amalodys sword strikes. It looks battered already, but still attempts to continue the fight.

Attack on Amalody!

[roll0]

[roll1]

On hit, dc 17 reflex or entangled.

Amalody is able to dodge the ponderous swinging fist.

Jasper notices as well that the small noises that could be heard ever so often from the stair well behind him have stopped for the most part.

Angstrom
2012-10-19, 04:28 PM
Continuing her onslaught, Heather rips through the pulpy elemental.

Full Attack:
[roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]+[roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]+[roll8]

Cleavon
2012-10-19, 06:23 PM
The furious assault from Heathers claws destroys the remaining mudman, the thing dissolving into a lifeless pile of muddy clumps. The swamp grows eerily silent now, only the chitter of nearby insects to break the silence. Nothing seems to move about the ruined base of the tower.

Stormwind
2012-10-20, 11:48 AM
Murmuring a quick cantrip, the remaining dirt and mud covering Ilmarinen simply falls away, leaving him and is garments fresh and clean, and every link of his mithril shirt gleaming once again.

End of Combat
(standard action) Cast Prestidgitation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/prestidigitation) (Clean up)

Arcane pool [4/7]

Effects
Enhance weapon [Black blade +3 keen] (7 rounds)

Although he feels significantly better after Khrona's healing magics, he is still slightly hurt, not that Ilmarinen lets that affect anything as he takes position as rear guard as he waits for the others to fall back into the more defensible tower ruins first.
(Ilmarinen: HP 40/49; non-lethal 4 points)

As he stands in the 'doorway', Ilmarinen comments "Whoever built this place put some serious work into construction of the base ... the land here in this spot, not just the tower itself, was definitely manufactured. Perhaps the guardians we just faced were also used to construct the earthen base too?"

Angstrom
2012-10-20, 12:16 PM
With no available foes to fight, Heather launches skyward. After a minute spent circling tower without a target, her bestial fury subsides.

As her heartbeat slows, her vision returns and she remembers her companions below. Ducking into a dive she swoops down and lands atop the roof.

Cleavon
2012-10-20, 04:32 PM
The sound of creaking boards comes from the stairs, and soon a small hunched figure can be seen slowly coming up the stairs. It puts a hand up, as if to signal that it means no harm. A thin voice follows from inside the voluminous hood the creature wears.

"Stay your weapons...what is your business here? You are not of the swamp."

The hand that the creature put up to signal you as he came up the stairs is what catches your eye the most. It's hand seems to be covered in warts, and more interestingly it has green scales down one half of the hand. Pink flesh covers the other half. Only three fingers can be seen, the one int he middle thicker than the others. Truly a strange sight.

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-20, 09:23 PM
Jasper

"Please, we are not here for violence. We just want to talk to you about the scalies that have been giving you trouble."

diplomacyPerform (oratory): [roll0]

Cleavon
2012-10-20, 11:54 PM
The creature turns, and you get a slight glimpse of the side of its face. You can see that its chin is a pale skin, but there are deep green scales that start at it's cheekbone and disappear into the darkness provided by the cloak.

"Why do you care what happens to us? There are fewer and fewer every moon...we think the others are taken as slaves by the Lizardfolk. We wish we could help them but there is no way we could leave this place. The swamp is far too dangerous, and master has been dead for decades."

Stormwind
2012-10-21, 08:36 AM
Ilmarinen turns his head briefly at the sound of the thin voice coming from the stairs, but upon seeing it's source, he turns his attention back to the swamp outside, remaining aware and vigilant against whatever dangers lie without these ruined stone walls.
Perception (keeping watch against the dangers of the swamp): [roll0]

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-21, 07:44 PM
Jasper

"Ah yes. Iv heard of this master of yours, though I know little about him. He commanded the mud men, correct?"

Cleavon
2012-10-21, 07:59 PM
Ilmarinen keeps an eye out, but the swamp seems idle. The pools of mud and the remains of the mudmen settle into one another and only the chitter of insects can be heard.

The creature turns its head, and pushes back it's cloak. It;s face is strange, like several creatures patched together. Scales run up the side of its face, but its nose, eyes and forehead were a more human skin color, the nose a piggish snout. Wiry hair covered its head, scraggly flowing down his shoulders.

"He is long dead. He created the mudmen, the same as he created us. The Lizards tried to harness the mudmen but their magic is locked to this place. They take more and more of us each time they come. We don't know where they take them. We were once his slaves, and now we just want to be left alone...

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-22, 10:07 AM
Jasper

"Well we are no friends of the lizards, and we wish to know what they are up to. We believe we can help you in the process."

Cleavon
2012-10-22, 05:13 PM
The look on the creatures face remained skeptical, but his attitude towards Jasper did not change.

"I do not know where the Lizards take us. It has been several moons since they last came. They could come again at any time. I warn you, be careful. They have many slaves. Savage creatures from the deep swamp. What would you even do if you could find their home?"

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-23, 06:47 PM
Jasper

"I can investigate. Slip in and find out what they are up to. I wouldn't even raise any suspicion, its kind of my specialty."

Cleavon
2012-10-24, 02:12 AM
The strange creature simply shrugs it's shoulders.

"Whatever business you have with the Lizards is none of my concern, I suppose. You are welcome to stay here if you like, I know the appearance of my people can be unsettling, but we are simple folk."

Gorm pipes up then, musing a bit about the current situation.

"Hmm. We have to make our way back to town by Dusk tomorrow. I'm up for whatever you guys want to do...I can try and look for any trail the lizardfolk might have left, but the swamp is notorious for devouring trail signs if left for too long. I'll go take a look around, while you guys decide what you want to do"

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-24, 07:18 PM
Jasper

"I would appreciate that very much, Gorm. We can rest for now. If you find any trails, we will decide how to proceed."

Cleavon
2012-10-25, 05:13 PM
The Mongrelmen begin to go about their business, a menagerie of strange and foul looking folk bustling about. You find that there are actually crops hidden among the backside of the tower. Their leader can even be seen working a small bit of magic, if only to purify some water from the swamp. It turns slowly from the algae tainted green to a clear cool blue. They set up a cooking pot of great proportions and light a small fire. Soon the smell of stew fills the base of the tower, and about that time Gorm comes back.

He takes a seat with the party after giving a few sprigs of some herbs to the leader of the Mongrelmen.

"I smelled the cook fire, so I grabbed up a couple of herbs that I find tasty...they grow all over around here. I found signs of the way the Lizardmen come, but the trail is old. It disappears less than half a mile from here. I know they come from the Northwest, but I can't rightly tell beyond that half mile. The swamp devours tracks too quickly sometimes."

The Mongrel man leader offers some stew to all of you, and Gorm takes some first. He assures that it is actually quite tasty, vegetables and broth and such. The leader takes a seat nearby and gives a crooked smile.

"We have few guests that are not interested in doing us harm. It is comforting to see that there are people who would not shun our kind. I heard your ranger speak about the trails..and I am sorry you could not find what you are looking for. The Lizards will no doubt return here. We simply cannot say when. You are welcome here, if you wish to stay, or return to seek them out."

Gorthok
2012-10-26, 07:11 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Having stayed quiet since the fighting... Khrona helped with the finding sticks of wood for the fire. Once the stew began bubbling however, her stomach could no longer be held back. She graciously accepts a bowl of stew and quickly devours it.

"I believe that it would be for the best to return on time to town, Mr. Grom. That way we will be given more attempts to return and find more information in the future."

Angstrom
2012-10-27, 01:03 PM
Overhearing the conversation from her perch on the roof, Heather takes to the air as well. In the next hour she does a wide circuit of the ruins, eyes on the horizon looking for smoke from campfires, or signs of a settlement.

When she returns she makes sure to land away from the mongrelfolk and revert back to her normal form before joining the group around the fire. Hungry from the flight, she gladly accepts some stew.

"It seems that we are no closer to finding the lost hunters than before. I agree with Khrona that perhaps it is best if we head back tomorrow morning with our toads to avoid suspicion."

Cleavon
2012-10-27, 04:05 PM
Heather
You don't find any sign of settlements in your circuit, and there are no plumes of smoke in or around the swamp. You can see a plume or two back towards the forest. Most likely small farms or villages on the swamps edge.

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-27, 06:58 PM
Jasper

While Gorm is hunting game for the party, Jasper takes some time to go through the paperwork and familiarize himself with it.

In privateJasper takes his parchment and ink quill and practices making copies of the documents. He makes note of what kind of paper, ink, and pen he would need to make high quality forgeries.

Stormwind
2012-10-28, 09:05 AM
Even as he notes Jasper doing some sort of paperwork, Ilmarinen nods briefly, once, to himself, and sitting down he too pulls out some ink and papers.
However what he does is substantially different, as a map of the area starts to come into being under his pen.
Use map-making kit, and ink (to draw a map of this area, specifically marking landmarks like this tower ruins and the point at which they entered the swamp)
Knowledge(geography) (to help with drawing the map): [roll0]

Finally, having finished as much as he is able of the map, Ilmarinen partakes of a small portion of the soup, not needing to eat himself due to the magic of his ring, he partakes in order to experience the taste.

Responding to both Khrona's and Heather's comments, Ilmarinen states "It seems the lizardfolk are becoming more active here in the swamp, and it would seem that we are in need of more time in order to get the answers we seek."
He then turns to Gorm, "Gorm, with what we know now, how hard would you think it to be to obtain a permit to spend a longer period of time investigating the swamp?"

"I suggest we be on our guard tonight just in case"

Cleavon
2012-10-28, 05:13 PM
Things begin to die down as the Mongrel men set up watch and most make their way back downstairs to sleep. The party gathers back together and readies for sleep as well, Gorm volunteering for first watch. Before everyone beds down though, he answers any questions posed to him.

"Well, you should probably spend a bit of time in the city when we get back. A few days should do fine. See the sights for a bit, enjoy some of the food and wine maybe. I'll mention around the Hunters guild that you enjoyed your stay and want to hunt some larger game. I can probably swing getting you a five day permit for Catoblepas. They wander the swamp pretty regularly, but stay more of the west in the deep swamp. Not a bad haul if we take a couple down, the restaurants in the city pay pretty well for the meat."

Jasper
You are able to easily copy the handwriting of the hobgoblins, and the parchment used is good quality but otherwise plain. The only thing that has you perplexed so far is that the Hobgoblins use stamps and black ink to endorse properly filled out documents. The marks do not seem too intricate, but you feel it would be noticed if they were simply drawn, and not made with a stamp.

Ilmarinen
Your map is correct, but incredibly rough at this point. You have several landmarks that you would easily recognize but are unsure if you have them in exactly the correct locations in relation to each other. A little more time in the swamp would easily grant you a chance to improve your map.

Gamblerjoe
2012-10-30, 12:29 PM
Jasper

"Well that sounds splendid! It probably would be most shrewd not to dally with only a day left on our permit. Perhaps I can come back another day and look into this lizardfolk situation a bit more."

Cleavon
2012-11-01, 05:19 AM
The Mongrelmen bid you farewell the next morning, after a meal of berries and roots and the like that they have gathered from their makeshift gardens nearby. They seem a simple and peaceful folk.

The pelts and meat of the hunt are gathered once again, and brought back to the horses. None have bothered the animals thanks to the hunters tricks. Gorm readies the horses and soon the group is off on the road to Brindol.

It is nearing dusk, and Brindol is a mere hours ride ahead when a wagon is seen on the side of the road. A man is there with a broken wheel laying behind the wagon, a new one in his grasp as he tries his best to fit it to the axle and pound it on. When you approach he looks up warily, his wagon full of casks that look hastily piled there. A blanket covers half of them. As you approach another man comes from the other side of the wagon with some more tools and settles in to help him.

Cleavon
2012-11-01, 05:26 AM
Ilmarinen
When the party is about 60 feet from the cart you notice a shadowy figure crouching in the bushes. He is watching you but is so far unaware that he has been spotted.

Stormwind
2012-11-01, 06:16 AM
Ilmarinen approaches and reins in his gelding, deftly avoiding yet another nip from the willful young horse, as he asks [ Goblin ]"Evening good sirs, you seem to be having a spot of trouble. Might I offer some assistance?"[ /Goblin ]
Ilmarinen's speech is simple and heavily accented, and those who speak dwarven might recognize the source of his accent.

Although he is a good-natured fellow, Ilmarinen doesn't immediately assume that others are likewise trustworthy, having had experience to that effect in the past, and so he silently assesses the two figures before him.
Sense motive(assessing the human and hobgoblin): [roll0]

Almost as an afterthought, Ilmarinen states in common, "You might ask your friend in the bushes to join us. The work is liable to be easier with more of us assisting"

GMIlmarinen keeps a casual eye out for the figure in the bushes ... and for any others that might be around....

Angstrom
2012-11-01, 01:06 PM
Happy to be out of the swamp, Heather reins her horse in when she see's her elven companion do the same. At first she wonders why Ilmarinen has called a halt, but when he speaks of strangers in trees, she immediately assumes an ambush. Several stories about noble heroes fighting off ambushes come to mind and she hurriedly whispers to the others.

"If you guys wait here, I could ride up unarmed and try to draw them out."

Gamblerjoe
2012-11-01, 01:52 PM
Jasper

Friends in the bushes? Well that seems rather suspicous.

Jasper approaches the wagon. "Good day fellows. Im not much for brawn, but I am glad to help in any way I can. You know, this reminds me of the story of the damsel in distress. No offense of course. You see, there was this lovely damsel who's wagon broke down in a rough little patch of wilderness..."

Jasper continues with his verbose story. As he carries on, seemingly without taking a breath, the story seems oddly compelling for a fable.

Bardic Performance
Fascinate (DC 18): If its saving throw fails, the creature sits quietly and observes the performance for as long as the bard continues to maintain it. While fascinated, a target takes a –4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Perception checks. Any potential threat to the target allows the target to make a new saving throw against the effect. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect.

Gorthok
2012-11-02, 02:50 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Having seen Heather rein in her horse, Khrona does the same and cantors up next to her. She sees the broken down carriage and both Jasper and Ilmarinen talking with the folks doing repairs. Khrona dismounts and stands next to her mare, at the ready for what might happen next.

Cleavon
2012-11-02, 02:17 PM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/RogueEncounter1rnd0.png

The man at B8 seems completely enthralled by Jaspers oration. The figure hiding in the bushes seems ready to make a move, but hasn't sprung quite yet. The Hobgoblin near the wagon is confused by his friends ignoring of Ilmarinen discovering the person in the bushes.

Everyone!

Surprise round. Everyone can make a standard action or a move in the surprise round, except Jasper. He used his already. You win initiative, since you effectively blew their surprise. So take your surprise round and then you all go first in round 1.

Angstrom
2012-11-03, 07:51 PM
"Gorm, do you see anything?" Heather asks worriedly.

"I don't see any weapons, but if there are hidden figures in the woods, it could be bandits. What do we do? As foreigners, are we allowed to shed blood on your soil?"

Heather won't attack unprovoked. Though she will draw a vial of mutagen, just in case. Ready action to drink it if attacked.

Stormwind
2012-11-04, 05:32 AM
Ilmarinen gracefully swings down from his horse, once again avoid a nip as he dismounts, and then he take a couple of steps forward, though he does not draw a weapon yet.
Whilst his voice is still mild, there is a hint of steel in it as he speaks again, "I'm afraid I must insist that your friend emerge from the bushes. It wouldn't be friendly of him to remain there would it now?"Surprise round
(move action) Dismount

Round 1
(move action) Move to (y,6)

If they attack, then as an immediate action:

(immediate action) Spell shield (+5AC) [-1AP]

Cleavon
2012-11-05, 06:42 PM
Gorm

Sliding down from his horse, Gorm slung his bow off his back. He fingered an arrow over his shoulder, watching the two figures ahead near the cart carefully.

"If these men bare steel, or threaten ill will in any way the emperors law is on our side. These roads fall under the Rule of Regalos, and banditry is punishable by death."

His words a warning to their current foes, as well an answer to the question asked.

Gorthok
2012-11-09, 12:03 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

After Gorm's words, Khrona feels more prepared to protect herself. She readies herself for the struggle if it comes.

Standing still, ready an action to cast Sound Burst (DC:16) to hit all enemy targets at the first aggressive action.

Gamblerjoe
2012-11-09, 12:52 AM
Jasper

Jasper finishes blurting out his short story. "Well, you heard my friend here. The law is on our side if your intentions are ill. If you all lay down your weapons we can help you repair your wagon, or we can just be on our way. "

SuggestionDC 18
Suggesting the fascinated one to lay down his weapons.
A bard of 6th level or higher can use his performance to make a suggestion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/suggestion) (as per the spell) to a creature that he has already fascinated (see above). Using this ability does not disrupt the fascinate effect, but it does require a standard action to activate (in addition to the free action to continue the fascinate effect). A bard can use this ability more than once against an individual creature during an individual performance.

A Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 bard’s level + bard’s Cha modifier) negates the effect. This ability affects only a single creature (but see mass suggestion, below). Suggestion is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting, language-dependent ability and relies on audible components.

Bardic Performance (2 turns left)
Fascinate (DC 18): If its saving throw fails, the creature sits quietly and observes the performance for as long as the bard continues to maintain it. While fascinated, a target takes a –4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Perception checks. Any potential threat to the target allows the target to make a new saving throw against the effect. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect.

Cleavon
2012-11-09, 06:15 AM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/RogueEncounter1rnd1.png

As the party dismounts and makes their tentative moves the man that Jasper is speaking to looks at him, puzzled. He looks down to the formidable looking hammer he was using to tend to the wagon and shakes his head slowly.

"I don't think that is such a great idea. I mean, I heard one of your friends back there say something that sounded kinda threatening."

The hobgoblin behind him growls in frustration. As he speaks he steps to the wagon and draws from under the tarp and well used looking battleaxe.

"Shut your gob and get them! What are you waiting for! Attack!"

As his shouts echo towards you, several more hooded figures emerge. Two of them toss small orbs into the road, one from each side. They burst into a choking cloud of smoke.

Smoke Cloud
A bank of smoke billows out from the point designated. The smoke obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can't use sight to locate the target). The wind is slight, and the smoke will dissipate in 2 rounds.

Heather drinks her mutagen, Ilmarinen is covered in his shield of magic and Khrona speaks a word of power and a crack like thunder erupts near the two cloaked figures in the bushes above Ilmarinen. They are visibly shaken and battered by the explosion of sound, and one of them(X,3) drops his short sword and his hands clutch to his pained ears, stunned for the moment.

Stormwind
2012-11-09, 12:04 PM
Ilmarinen springs forward out of the smoke, drawing his blade even as he moves, and engages the two fellows beside the broken wagon.
His blade slices for the throat of the nearest fellow, deadly intent clear by both his expressions and his actions, even as he mildly states, "Not too smart are you, attacking alert travelers who are willing and able to defend themselves. I would suggest a career change but I fear that you no longer have that option."

Round 2
(swift action) Cannot take a swift actiion due to having just taken an immediate action.
(move action) Move to (B,7), avoid provoking AoO's
(standard action) Attack vs (B,8) Black blade [roll0] melee [roll1] (crit 18-20)

Arcane pool [3/7]

Effects
Spell shield [+5 shield AC] (end of this turn)

Gamblerjoe
2012-11-12, 06:32 PM
Jasper

Jasper steps out of the smoke. "Then so be it." Jasper casts a spell on himself and begins an inspiring oration. 3 copies of the halfling appear and mimic his movents.HP: 52/52
Performance: 22/27
Spells: 6/6/2/2(6/6/4/2)

5 foot step.
Cast mirror image as a standard action: [roll0]
Begin bardic performance as a move action.

Current Performance

Angstrom
2012-11-14, 12:31 PM
"Stay safe Gorm." she whispers to their guide as she springs off of the path. Flying toward the bandit, a smile flashes in her eyes as a look of terror fills the man's face.

Charging grapple at the s11 highwayman. Combat maneuver check [roll0]

Gorthok
2012-11-15, 08:43 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Backing away from the the billowing clouds of smoke, Khrona scans the fighting around her. To prepare herself for anything, she closes her eyes and when they open again she can see the outlines of people with colored hues.

Casting Deathwatch as a spell-like ability. Then moving behind Jasper at (v,7)

Cleavon
2012-11-16, 01:54 PM
Gorm

Nodding to the alchemist, he moves up into a small set of bushes to give himself a bit of cover and levels his bow at the highwayman that moved against Ilarminen(z,7)

Attack!
Point blank shot, Deadly Aim active.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Confirm?

[roll2]

[roll3]

Amalody

Moving out of the smoke Amalody readies her rapier and gathers her wits about her now that she can see.

Cleavon
2012-11-16, 02:18 PM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/RogueEncounter1rnd2.png

Ilmarinens sword bites into the man Jasper had befuddled, and Heathers rushing at one of the highwaymen takes him completely by surprise. The two grapple fiercely in the bushes. Gorm moves forward and an arrow flies forth. It goes wide unfortunately. Jasper becomes surrounded by images of himself and Khrona takes a position behind him as her eyes begin to glow with the telltale signs of magic.

The Highwayman that dropped his sword takes the time to collect his senses, while the one nearest to him dashes in on Ilmarinen after seeing his sword bite into his comrade. The man Ilmarinen scored a hit on gathers his senses and draws a longsword from the wagon while the other moves up and chops at Ilmarinen with his axe. The one grappling with Heather is both terrified and unable to escape for the moment.

One of the Highwaymen bursts from the bushes and rushes at Khrona.

Attackson Ilmarinen!

Hobgoblin Highwayman:

[roll0]

[roll1]

Confirm?

[roll2]

[roll3]

Highwayman from the Bushes:

[roll4]

[roll5]

Attack on Khrona!

[roll6]

[roll7]

Khrona feels the bite of the highwaymans dagger as it slashes into her.

Khrona!
7 damage!

Stormwind
2012-11-16, 04:35 PM
Even as he attacks the highwayman again, Ilmarinen casts, causing arcane currents to engulf his black blade and he strikes swiftly twice against the same fellow he struck before. When his blade touches the fellow before him a glowing rune is inscribed on the fellow's forehead ... the dwarven rune for 'Death'.

Round 3
(swift action) Enhance weapon [-1AP]
(full attack action) Spell combat/Spellstrike vs Highwayman at (B,8)
(Attack) Black blade [roll0](confirm [16 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14235156&postcount=175)]) melee [roll1](confirm [14 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14235156&postcount=175)]) (crit 15-20)
(Spellstrike) Cast Arcane mark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-mark); Concentration [roll2] vs DC 15 for casting defensively
(Spellstrike attack) Black blade [roll3](confirm [29 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14235156&postcount=175)]) melee [roll4](confirm [17 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14235156&postcount=175)]) (crit 15-20)

Arcane pool [2/7]

Effects
Enhance weapon [Black blade +3 keen] (10 rounds)

Angstrom
2012-11-19, 06:01 PM
Establishing control over her terrified foe, Heather seeks to pin the bandit. As she folds the man's arms behind his back she screams in his ear (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33DWqRyAAUw).

Standard action to pin opponent: [roll0] (includes +5 for being the grappler).
Move action to draw her set of masterwork manacles.

Gamblerjoe
2012-11-20, 11:57 PM
Jasper

Jasper continues his inspiring rant and moves to aid Ilmarinen with a spell.

Performance: 21/27
Spells: 6/6/1/2(6/6/4/2)

5 foot step to z9 and cast blur on Ilmarinen.

Current Performance

Gorthok
2012-11-28, 10:45 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Khrona recoils from the sharp blade of the bandit, her bluish hued blood staining the shoulder of her robes where the blade had bit into her flesh. Khrona stifled a cry of pain and retreated from the lumbering man. She hoped that Jasper could handle himself alone for the time being.

HP: 39/46

Khrona withdraws to (s,8)

Cleavon
2012-11-29, 03:03 AM
Gorm

Stepping up to the edge of the bushes, Gorm fires off a volley at the bandit closest, the man seeming now ready to rejoin the fight.

Attack!

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]
[roll2]

Possible Crit?
[roll3]

Bonus Damage
[roll4]

Attack2
[roll5]

Damage2
[roll6]

Possible Crit?
[roll7]

Bonus Damage
[roll8]

Attack3
[roll9]

Damage3
[roll10]

Possible Crit?
[roll11]

Bonus Damage
[roll12]

Amalody

Seeing Khrona injured, and rushing past her to safety, Amalody charges forth to meet the attacker.

Attack!

[roll13]

[roll14]

Cleavon
2012-11-29, 03:18 AM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/RogueEncounter1rnd3.png

Ilmarinen is able to dodge the clumsy blows put to him, and Khrona safely moves out of harms way. Jaspers spell swirls Ilmarinens image, making him slightly harder to see. Amalody finds a good hole in the rogues defenses as she charges, and her thin blade pierces straight into the mans torso, a look of dread on his face as his blood spills down the steel.

Gorm fires of his volley and finds only one arrow having hit the man he aimed at, but these desperate bandits continue their fight. The man Heather grapples with becomes pinned under her strength, unable to defend himself from her continuing assault. The rest of the bandits look determined to see this fight to the end. Whatever reason they have to not flee must be a powerful one to force them to fight to the death.

Bandits

The bandit in front of Ilmarinen swings his battle axe at him, his mouth a grim line of determination.

Attack on Ilmarinen!

[roll0]

[roll1]

Crit?
[roll2]

[roll3]

Concealment
[roll4]

The other Highwaymen try their luck with Jasper, Amalody, and Gorm.

Attack on Jasper!

[roll5]

[roll6]

Crit?
[roll7]

[roll8]

Mirror Image(Jasper is #1)
[roll9]

Attack on Amalody!
[roll10]

[roll11]

Crit?
[roll12]

[roll13]

Attack on Gorm!
[roll14]

[roll15]

Crit?
[roll16]

[roll17]

Gorm
Gorm takes 7 damage.

Stormwind
2012-11-29, 08:06 AM
Turning to face the next highwayman, Ilmarinen casts, causing arcane currents to engulf his black blade and again he strikes swiftly ... twice ... against the next fellow. As before, when his blade touches the fellow before him a glowing rune is inscribed on the fellow's forehead ... the dwarven rune for 'Death'.

Round 4
(full attack action) Spell combat/Spellstrike vs Highwayman at (B,7)
(Attack) Black blade [roll0] melee [roll1] (crit 15-20)
(Spellstrike) Cast Arcane mark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-mark); Concentration [roll2] vs DC 15 for casting defensively
(Spellstrike attack) Black blade [roll3] melee [roll4] (crit 15-20)

Arcane pool [2/7]

Effects
Arcane strike [+2 dam] (1 round)
Blur [20% concealment] (7 minutes)
Inspire courage [+2 att/dam/...]

Angstrom
2012-12-03, 12:37 AM
Continuing to subdue the bandit, Heather attempts to lock the man's arms behind his back with her manacles.
[roll0]

Gamblerjoe
2012-12-05, 11:35 PM
Jasper

Jasper moves away from the bandit and begins dancing around to avoid being hit.

Performance: 21/27
Spells: 6/1/2(6/4/2)

5-foot step to y8 and use the full defense action.

Current Performance

Gorthok
2012-12-06, 07:35 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Seeing Gorm take a sword to his shoulder, Khrona rushes to his side to heal the gushing laceration.

Move to (t,6) and cast Cure Light Wounds on Gorm

[roll0]

Cleavon
2012-12-06, 10:12 PM
Gorm

Stepping back from the mans assault Gorm looses another volley of Arrows at him.

Attack!
Five foot step to t,6 and full attack.

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]
[roll2]

Possible Crit?
[roll3]

Bonus Damage
[roll]2d8+10[/roll

Attack2
[roll4]

Damage2
[roll5]

Possible Crit?
[roll6]

Bonus Damage
[roll7]

Attack3
[roll8]

Damage3
[roll9]

Possible Crit?
[roll10]

Bonus Damage
[roll11]

Amalody

Pressing the assault against the highwayman she has encountered, her thinblade flashes forward.

Attack!

Attack1
[roll12]

Damage1
[roll13]

Possible Crit?
[roll14]

Extra Damage
[roll15]

Attack2
[roll16]

Damage2
[roll17]

Possible Crit?
[roll18]

Extra Damage
[roll19]

Cleavon
2012-12-06, 10:25 PM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/RogueEncounter1rnd4.png

Two of the Highwaymen fall, one skewered by Amalody and the other with arrows protruding from his leather armor in various places. Another is tightly bound by Heathers manacles. The only two who remain focus on Ilmarinen, seeking to gain some justice, even if felling the man will only provide so much for their situation.

Attack on Ilmarinen!

Highwayman at y8.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Sneak Attack
[roll2]

Highwayman at b8.

[roll3]

[roll4]

The man in Manacles struggles against them.

Escape Artist!

[roll5]

Ilmarinen remains unharmed after the duo attacks, and the man in the manacles writhes fruitlessly against them.

Angstrom
2012-12-07, 02:17 AM
"Don't even try it," Heather's layered voice booms in the bandit's ear, "Submit if you value your life."

Ready an action to pin him again if he doesn't cooperate.

Stormwind
2012-12-07, 05:11 AM
Continuing his assault on the highwayman, Ilmarinen casts, causing arcane currents to engulf his black blade and again he strikes swiftly ... twice ... against the next fellow. This time, when his blade touches the fellow before him the dwarven rune inscribed on the fellow's forehead glows again, brighter ...

Round 5
(full attack action) Spell combat/Spellstrike vs Highwayman at (B,8)
(Spellstrike) Cast Arcane mark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-mark); Concentration [roll0] vs DC 15 for casting defensively
(Spellstrike attack) Black blade [roll1](confirm 22 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14337351&postcount=180)) melee [roll2](confirm 16 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14337351&postcount=180)) (crit 15-20) + Arcane mark(overlaying the previous mark)
(Attack) Black blade [roll3](confirm 32 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14337351&postcount=180)) melee [roll4](confirm 19 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14337351&postcount=180)) (crit 15-20)

Arcane pool [2/7]

Effects
Arcane strike [+2 dam] (1 round)
Blur [20% concealment] (7 minutes)
Inspire courage [+2 att/dam/...]

Cleavon
2012-12-15, 12:55 AM
Amalody dashes in against the last bandit, and her thinblade finds purchase in the mans armor. A couple of Gorms arrows soon sprout from his torso, and he falls to the ground dead at Jasper and Ilmarinens feet.

Heather has the remaining man manacled securely, and he is no way able to escape for the moment. Gorm begins piling the corpses, and soon after takes out a shovel from his pack and begins to dig. He is surprisingly efficient at clearing a big enough hole in the soft loam of the forest floor.

After they are stripped of anything of value he buries them, gathering rocks to make a small pyre atop the mass grave site.

"Better than they deserve"

While Gorm does his digging, Khrona and Jasper look through the wagon. In the back of the wagon are casks of potent ale. They are all marked "The Wandering Flumpf Inn" with a burned in mark on the bottom that they came from Crenshaws Wine and Spirits. Under Crenshaws mark are in smaller words "Not for individual sale".

Jasper

While searching the back of the wagon you also find a ledger book much like the one you obtained at the hunters guild. Inside are a set of counterfeit stamps and a pad of ink. One Hunters Guild Stamp, one City Watch Stamp, one Merchants Guild Stamp. There are several forged documents in the ledger, but the names are all obvious fakes.

Amalody and Ilmarinen take a look at what the men had on them. Only a modest haul, but still the spoils of their victory.

Treasure

2 Masterwork Daggers
1 Battleaxe
17 Gold
1 Platinum ring with a Skull design

Angstrom
2012-12-15, 02:36 AM
Once her prisoner has accepted his fate, she carries him over to the wagon and leaves him under the watchful gaze of Jasper and Khrona. Without a shovel of her own all she can do to help Gorm with the bodies is to gather rocks for the cairn.

"A shame to see people waste their lives like that. Is it strange to see bandit groups of both hobgoblins and humans? I suppose seeing bandits in these parts is a surprise in itself."

Gamblerjoe
2012-12-17, 04:24 AM
Jasper

After the conclusion of the battle and burial Jasper is brimming with satisfaction.

"That certainly was a pointless endeavor for them. It does in deed seem strange that there would be such moderately competent and equipped bandits in this area. How common are attacks like these, Gorm?"

Stormwind
2012-12-17, 09:33 AM
Once the bodies are stripped of any valuables, Ilmarinen piles the valuables to the side and proceeds to help Gorm, having picked up a fair share of pragmatism from his time with the dwarves of Hammerlund. Although he lacks a shovel, Ilmarinen makes good use of prestigitation to assist in moving loose dirt as Gorm digs, and then he assists him in the moving and laying of the bodies before finally placing rocks atop in a simple cairn.

Once the bodies are buried, Ilmarinen stands silent for a moment before touching his hand to a stone atop the cairn. A moment later a single glowing rune appears on the stone, the dwarven rune for death.

That done he turns to Gorm and asks, "And their effects? How are they to be disposed of?"

Cleavon
2012-12-17, 10:49 PM
Gorm thinks on the question posed to him for a moment as he works.

"Well, most of the time bandits like these flee, or at the least are better set up for ambush. Though I've never seen a group with a wagon...and especially not one laden with what seems to be stolen ale. Crenshaws barrels fetch a tidy sum in other parts of the kingdom. Usually we just have small reports, but this group seems a little odd actually."

Once the burying was truly complete he turned to Ilmarinen and shrugged at the man.

"Anything not stolen is fair game for us as spoils. I'd gather it all up and we can have it checked in with the city watch. They'll do some checking and make sure the items don't belong to any other rightful party and then return what is left to us. The money I believe will be given over to us at the gate. Not much they can do to prove who it belongs to so it defaults to us as owner."

He looked in the back of the wagon for a few moments and then seemed rather thoughtful.

"I do wonder though...this would be a pretty big haul for such a small group. They were probably trying to defend it with their lives...that isn't normal behavior that I've seen out of the local bandits."

Stormwind
2012-12-18, 02:43 AM
After listening to Gorm's comments on legality of items, Ilmarinen simply stashes the collected valuables in the front of the wagon.

He then joins Gorm in musing, ".. Stranger yet is that if they had simply declined our help, we would've continued onwards, none the wiser, and there would have been no need for violence, let alone their deaths."

"Still, we do have someone who might shed light on this", and Ilmarinen turns to their trussed captive. "Do you wish to add anything to our discussion, perhaps even explain yourself and your comrades actions?"

As he listens to anything their captive might have to say, Ilmarinen relies on his knowledge of people to assess the veracity of their captives words.
Sense motive: [roll0]

Cleavon
2012-12-18, 06:05 AM
The man in chains spits at Ilmarinens feet.

"Oy, yah think I'd jus tell yah the whole bit eh? We 'ad our reasons. If'n you hadn't seen thems in the bushes we'd be countin' up your valuables."

He does not seem the smartest of fellows.

Ilmarinen

He seems to speak truthfully, that he does feel the ambush would have worked if they had carried it off properly.

Gorm explains further that the ale in their wagon is quite expensive, and they may have been defending the very cargo with their lives.

Stormwind
2012-12-18, 08:01 AM
"Well, I'd say you've not got much for choices now, either you speak to us, or you speak to the authorities once we get to the city. From what I understand of local law, the authorities have somewhat hefty penalties associated with banditry, so you stand to lose you head for this. If you speak to us, I will give my word that I will do my best to convince the authorities to spare your life. I can give no guarantees other than that."

Ilmarinen watches the bandit's face closely for any reaction as he waits for a response.

Cleavon
2012-12-18, 02:07 PM
The man snorts a derisive laugh as he looks up at Ilmarinen.

"Oh how I bet yah would. Plead on yer knees for my safety. Listen here. All I know is that me, Gren, Shamus, and Doffer got picked up in town and asked to protect this here load. You done killed the two guys who hired us. Big feller there near the wagon and the one who was putting the other wheel back on. Idiot rode right into a rut and damaged it so bad we had to stop to change it. I don't know who thems worked for, and I don't rightly care. I just know that we were to be payed well and we thought we could take you by surprise...we weren't to be seen for some reason. They didn't explain that either. We weren't askin' too many questions for the price we were gettin'. Seems stupid now."

Angstrom
2012-12-20, 03:10 PM
"I can't say I understand why a cart of stolen ale is worth dying over, but perhaps if the authorities in Brindol are interested we could tell them where we laid the fallen to rest and they can investigate for themselves." Heather suggests from where she is crouched amid the barrels in the back of the wagon.

She lifts the casks one by one, turning them over for anything that would explain the bandits dying for their loot. Absentmindedly rapping her knuckles on the sides of the casks to check their contents she looks at the sun getting low on the horizon, "Perhaps its best to get this mess back to Brindol and sort things out with the authorities. We still need to report to Davros as well."

There are enough corpses there that Heather believes getting a cleric to use speak with dead on them is the easiest way of figuring out what was going on. That said, she doesn't suspect a conspiracy.

Perception: [roll0]

Gorthok
2012-12-21, 05:23 PM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

While digging through the cart knocking around on boards for hollow spots, Khrona hears that the "interragation" is going poorly. She gets up and walks to the shackled bandit.

"Perhaps, Sirs, I may be of some help in this matter. With the flow of time comes knowledge and wisdom that many disregard." Khrona begins humming and places her fingers upon her temples, "Please step back, Sirs."

With the last word slipping from her tongue, a greenish hue flows from Khrona's eyes into that of the bandit.

Perception Check while in the Cart: [roll0]

Cast Detect Thoughts on the Bandit.

Cleavon
2012-12-21, 07:38 PM
Khrona
After a bit of concentration you are able to determine the bandits surface thoughts.

He is terrified of two things. One, that when he is returned to Brindol he will be beheaded for banditry. Two, that whoever employed the men that were in charge knows who he is and even if he manages to escape they will find him and kill him for losing a valuable score.

Cleavon
2012-12-27, 05:22 PM
Soon enough the Wagon is able to travel again, and everyone is ready to be on their way. The bandit in manacles seems resigned to his fate and doesn't speak unless spoken to for the rest of the way back.

At the gate the guards immediately stop you, upon seeing a man in chains. Upon hearing your story they put forth a summons, and ask that you stay here at the gate for a short while. A hobgoblin man appears some while later, his leather armor tooled and worked in a fine fashion. He seems a little older, but his movements are still sharp. He addresses the gathering in a stately manner.

"Well met, I am Ribal Tennem. I came as quickly as I could when word of your troubles on the road reached me. I am the Emperors Justice here in Brindol, and all disregard for it's law is brought before me. I am glad you were able to recover this merchandise here...we'll be looking into how it was acquired and who might be ultimately responsible for trying to smuggle these fine wares out of the city."

His men take the bandit into their custody, and are happy to return Heather her manacles. Ribal Tennem then makes a gracious offer.

"I have had the pleasure of meeting your friends, the diplomats from the south. The man Wilt Badger and I have been speaking at length over dinner some nights, and I believe it would be most splendid if you would all join us for the nightly meal. If you so accept I'll send for you when night falls and we can speak more about your time here in Brindol. For now I must take care of this bandit business."

Angstrom
2012-12-28, 03:00 PM
Heather thanks the guards for returning her manacles and tells them everything they wish to know about the bandits, but sticks to the hunting trip story for why they were in the swamp to begin with.

"Well met Ribal Tennem, I am Heather Pauwher of Saltmire. I expect we would all be delighted to take you up on your offer." Heather's diction is more forman usual. Though the flowery language always left a bad aftertaste, her desire to ingratiate herself with the Hobgoblin elite and the Hunters Guild made it worthwhile.

Sorry to speak for the party, but it seems based on the nature of our contract with Wilt and Tella we should be going anyways. Is heading back to Davros the next thing we want to do?

Stormwind
2012-12-30, 09:21 AM
"Well met Ribal Tennem. I am Ilmarinen Brujah. I must confess to a certain amount of ignorance regarding the intricacies of your legal system here, specifically regarding leniency. The reason behind my inquiry here is actually fairly simple: After having defended ourselves against these bandits, I spoke with our prisoner here.." Ilmarinen nods towards the bandit, "..and asked him to disclose the details of their purpose. In return I gave my word that I would speak on behalf of his life once we handed him over to the authorities, namely your good selves." Ilmarinen pauses, and then looking the older hobgoblin, he continues, "He did indeed speak of their purpose, and so I would keep my word and thus speak for this bandits life. I understand that under your laws the penalty for banditry is death, but is a lighter sentence possible?"

Ilmarinen awaits Ribal's response before adding, "I would of course be happy to accompany your good selves and give what information we have gathered on this matter at your convenience."

Cleavon
2012-12-30, 08:39 PM
Hearing Ilmarinen's careful words and his plea on behalf of the bandit the older hobgoblin put a thoughtful hand to his chin.

"Hmm. If he continues to give up what information he can to us, something may be done. We shall leave his fate in his own hands, and bring him in for questioning. We shall speak more on this at dinner I believe. Thank you for your help in this matter."

Gorm spoke up as Ribal Tennem took his leave.

"Should probably get all of this frog back and get it processed...I'm sure one of the local butcher shops would give you decent coin for it if you don't to eat it yourselves."

Gamblerjoe
2013-01-04, 01:18 AM
Jasper

"Indeed I will accompany you to the butcher. Lets do so before the meat begins to spoil. I wouldn't mind a few cuts for myself, how about the rest of you?"

Stormwind
2013-01-04, 04:09 AM
Ilmarinen considers Gorm and Jasper's words for the barest of moments before he suggests, "Perhaps we might take a few choice cuts to the inn and let their excellent chef prepare the frogs as the succulent morsel it is reputed to be. I'm sure he could do it justice in the tradition of the best of local cuisine."

That said, Ilmarinen looks set to accompany Gorm to the butchers and he gestures that Gorm should take the lead.

Angstrom
2013-01-04, 01:33 PM
"Let's be off then. I certainly wouldn't mind trying some of your catch either. Perhaps next time I'll be able to help more on the hunt."

"We should report to Davros before dinner as well. If he wants to organize another expedition to look for his son he'll appreciate hearing of our trip as soon as possible."

Cleavon
2013-01-04, 06:42 PM
Gorm hefts the sack of frog pieces over his shoulder and leads the party back to the hunters guild. Once back inside the confines of the guild area he takes you all to a small series of butcher stalls. Most are not being used at the moment and once he has gotten the meat ready he sends for Davros.

Gorm has gone about preparing the meat, a small sharp knife and a large cleaver his instruments as he expertly separates meat from bone and preserves the best cuts.

The older hobgoblin appears then, wearing plain leather armor, but with a cloak that is pinned with a hunters guild token. It shows his station as an instructor. He seems in fairly good spirits at the moment.

"Ah, welcome back my friends. I see Gorm has found you some particularly plump looking toads. I'm sure that whatever you don't want from the haul the guild will buy from you for provisions. Toad makes excellent salted jerky for long travels. Enough of that though. one of our scouts mentioned some trouble on the road, or echoes of it from the gate guards, please tell me...have you found anything about who may have killed my son?"

Stormwind
2013-01-07, 09:48 AM
Ilmarinen looks towards Davros and nods, "The trouble on the road was incidental, as far as we can tell. With regards to the swamp, aside from the wildlife, we visited a small village of Vegepygmies, and Mongrelmen in ruins of wizard tower, and from both we got essentially the same message. The lizardfolk of the deep swamp are apparently both numerous and active and have been engaged in capturing many slaves. I suspect it was this that your son and his companions ran across during their patrol, but as yet I have no definite proof of this."

Ilmarinen pauses before continuing, "In order to find such proof we would need to locate the lizardfolk in the deep swamp and then hope that luck is on our side as we attempt to locate any personal items of your sons companions. If we are to pursue this angle, then a list of such items as your son and his companions carried would definitely be useful."

Cleavon
2013-01-07, 02:46 PM
Davros seems rather intrigued by the idea that the lizardmen are more than just a passing nuisance. He paces back and forth as he speaks, and Gorm gets an almost excited gleam in his eye, the prospect of adventure always exciting the younger Hobgoblin.

"This news may be more dire than expected. If the Lizardmen are truly becoming more active, that may mean that their number is growing back towards dangerous levels. I can provide you with a short list of items my son and his friends had carried with them. I am sorry to ask that you risk your safety again, but my son have have stumbled upon something important here. Our armies are heavily devoted to the battles in the northern plains against the nation of Orcs...if the Lizardmen are truly a threat we may find our forces stretched thin protecting our land."

Davros seems contemplative as he rubs his chin and thinks, being drawn back into thought of the war with the Lizardmen and how much force it took to drive them back and defeat them.

"We can only hope that this is not as big as I fear it is. In the coming days I will have Gorm send for you, with a five day hunting pass to the deeper swamp. Hunting Catoblepas should be a decent cover, they wander the deep swamp and are highly sought after for their succulent meat. I'll be sure to have a list of my sons effects ready for your journey. You have my thanks, many would not risk themselves in such a way...a trait I have always admired in you southerners. Be warned though, not all here in the Empire feel the same unfortunately."

Angstrom
2013-01-07, 09:29 PM
Silent through Ilmarinen's response, Heather smiles as she recognizes the gleam in Gorm's eyes as the same shining in hers.

"The reemergence of the lizardfolk as a threat is something neither of our nations want. To that end, I expect that the Councilmen would give us leave if informed of our reason for going."

"The sooner we can leave the better. Whatever your son found, haste seems prudent. Gorm, your help in preparing for this trip would be appreciated as would assistance locating a source of reagents I can use to prepare alchemical aids for the journey ahead."

Knowledge Arcana: [roll0] for information about Catoblepas
Knowledge Nature: [roll1] for information about the deep swamp and lizardfolk.

I assume from that result she knows about Catoblepas death rays and so will be able to prepare accordingly.

Also, do we make money from the frogs? I'd like to buy some new formulae before setting out again.

Gamblerjoe
2013-01-07, 09:52 PM
Jasper

"Davros my friend, this is what I live for. Our last trip proved to be a most enriching experience. We will be sure to prepare ourselves well while we are in town. After seeing these warriors in action, I believe we can handle any dangers the deeper jungle throws at us."

"If its any consolation; when this is said and done, I will compose a ballad for your brave son."

While in town Jasper visits some local shops grabbing what stationary and supplies he needs.10 sheets of the correct paper/parchment
1 oz vial of the correct ink
extra quills of various fineness

Stormwind
2013-01-14, 06:09 AM
Checking whether Ilmarinen knows anything additional about Catoblepas:

Knowledge(arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge(planes): [roll1]

As Davros speaks, Ilmarinen gets a contemplative look on his face, as he contemplates what he knows of the Catoblepas. Then with a wry grin he comments, "Succulent ... I would never have guessed. It seems that these hunting trips will indeed be educational, at the very least gastronomically"
His expression then becomes a little more serious, although there is still a twinkle in his eyes as he speaks, "If there is indeed going to be renewed problems with the lizardfolk, then it affects us all. I at least feel it would be irresponsible and shortsighted not to investigate, and I've never been accused of being shortsighted."

Cleavon
2013-01-16, 06:11 PM
Davros thanks you all for your dedication, and soon enough he and Gorm are called to other duties at the Hunters Guild. Your cuts of frog meat are ready, and Gorm had them packaged so they would not turn before your dinner. Fresh frog meat of course cooking up the best.

A carriage escorts you from your Inn to Ribal Tennems humble manor. The house is squat but well appointed. A stately looking Hobgoblin dressed in dark clothing greets you. He speaks with a dry tone and leads you inside where Ribal Tennem and Wilt Badger sit sipping brandy and discussing politics.

When you are seen to arrive they both rise happily you. Ribal has the package of Frog cuts taken to the kitchen and while he is in the back of the house Wilt takes the time to speak for a moment.

"Och, good to see you back from the swamp! I hope the cuts you've brought are as good as Ribal claims they can be. I 'ave to let you know though, he's asked you here to seek a favor of you."

Wilt gestures towards the sitting room and once you are all inside he leans against the edge of one of the chairs and swirls his glass of brandy.

"He's got some trouble with the thieves organizing themselves. They've got this war with the orcs in the north and it's left the guard thin around Brindol. I think he aims to ask for your help, seeing you made such easy work of those brigands on the road. They for certain came from the city. So don't be surprised if you get asked to do some sleuthing concerning them."

Angstrom
2013-01-16, 06:29 PM
Heather looks uneasy at Wilt's announcement. Folk generally didn't appreciate having foreigners snooping around, if they were to do this they'd have to be careful. If they did this. They had been perhaps been too hasty in offering aid to Davros; a mission of justice on behalf of the local government would likely take precedence.

"Thank you for the warning sir," speaking more formally to Wilt than she had on the journey to Brindol she continues, "We will listen to whatever Master Tennem asks, though I do not want any unsavoury attention from criminals putting your mission or your safety in jeopardy. We're here to protect you and Ms. Viron after all."

Gamblerjoe
2013-01-17, 03:08 AM
Jasper

"Why a little sleuthing would be right up my alley. Ill keep my ear to the ground for any information."

Stormwind
2013-01-18, 06:12 AM
Ilmarinen looks thoughtful, but he doesn't say much as he waits for their host to return.

Cleavon
2013-01-18, 06:48 PM
Your hobgoblin hosts reappears, his brandy glass empty. His smile still wide as he walks over to a set of nice glass bottles. They seem to hold a various number of spirits and he pours himself a glass, while offering to pour one for anyone who would like a brandy or one of the various chilled wines available.

After taking a seat near Wilt he seemed to compose himself before speaking.

"The food should be done in some short while, and I am sure from the chatter I heard on the way back that Wilt has keyed you in to what I wanted to speak to you about. The war has strained my resources here in the city. I don't have nearly the number of constables that I used to have under my command, and with so many of our menfolk away fighting the city has seen many travelers come to work in various fields. In fact the number of non hobgoblins has never been higher in Brindol."

He gave his drink a swirl before taking a long pull from it. He set it aside and leaned forward. His elbows on his knees and his hands clasped in front of him.

"We were not able to get much out of the man you captured. A priest of the Martyr used some divine insight on him to ensure he answered true, and it seems he did not know who had actually hired his little troupe. Two men, one a Hobgoblin hired he and his friends, and they picked up the stolen cargo in the dead of night. He never saw the person who delivered it, only a plain wagon that they unloaded into their own. It took place near the edge of town in an alley. We've found no witnesses so far, but we're still looking."

Cleavon
2013-01-20, 07:12 PM
Ribal Tennem stands and goes to refill his drink, all the while continuing speaking.

"I've been talking to Wilt, and he has agreed to let me ask for your help. The man you brought in had one other thing I found troubling hidden in his thoughts. Our priest found from reading his thoughts for a time that this job he took was some sort of test or initiation. We haven't had a true thieves guild here in Brindol in years. If another is cropping up, it will look rather bad for me, and for my men. I feel, and Wilt agrees, that you might have a better chance at getting information from some of the non citizens here."

He turns and leans against the mantle piece, the fire burning low next to him.

"If you can aide me I can compensate you of course...as well as lending any help I can to my friend Wilt and his associates in drawing up this treaty. I'd much like to see it go through, and I think working together we could make much good will for you and yours, if we are careful in how we proceed."

Gamblerjoe
2013-01-21, 03:32 AM
Jasper

Jasper waits until there is no one in the room except for the party, Wilt, and Ribal. "Gentlemen, I happen to have a unique skill set that could come in handy for your current situation. In short, I can infiltrate any organization known to man or hobgoblin. I'll go into more detail, but I would appreciate if any discussion pertaining to my special skills stays between us."

Stormwind
2013-01-21, 05:08 AM
Ilmarinen nods slowly as Ribal speaks, and then adds "Regarding the bandits, the two ringleaders of this little group are buried to the south, a little off the side of the road. The cairn is marked with a symbol for death, like this ..", Ilmarinen traces out the symbol before continuing.
"Assuming that the cairn is undisturbed, a priest might get answers from the dead. We do not have such an individual amongst us, but perhaps you have access to such resources ...?"

Ilmarinen then considers the larger question that Ribal has put on the table so to speak. He comments slowly, "Our primary task is naturally the security of our ambassadors", he nods in Wilt's direction, ".. but so long as negotiations are underway, we do have a certain amount of freedom and could quite well assist in discreet investigations, particularly if it would assist our ambassadors in their task."

Ilmarinen looks Ribal in the eyes as he asks,"I assume that since you have no definite information on the existence of such a group, that they have either maintained a very low profile, or they have information sources within your organization ... perhaps both"

"I would like to discuss the details and particulars before I make a final decision for my part, specifically I would see it as necessary that this is kept as discreet as possible, to avoid potential information leaks, and thus we would need some discreet method of contacting or passing information to you directly."

Cleavon
2013-01-22, 06:19 PM
Listening to the various points brought up, along with Jaspers polite inquiry for secrecy, Ribal takes his seat once again and gives a thoughtful look to Jasper and Ilmarinen.

"Well my good Halfling, I can always assure you that anything you do not wish to be heard outside of our company will stay that way. Any help you can provide will be appreciated and treated with the utmost discretion. As far as the points brought up by you sir Elf, I have been thinking along those same lines. For that reason anything that you find should be brought directly to Wilt, and he will arrange meetings with me. I think if we keep this arrangement to the people here in this room we will be much more successful in our endeavors. I will say though. Please be careful if you find any information regarding my constables. I will want to know immediately, but be warned that some of them may not take inquiries lightly. They are trained to be suspicious of outsiders, though most are courteous."

Soon after he finishes speaking, one of Ribals servants calls into the room that the food will be done shortly and the table is set.

Angstrom
2013-01-24, 02:07 PM
Heather looks to Wilt for guidance on this matter, but if none is offered she speaks. "I know little about how thieves operate, but should our services be required I will attempt to uncover these secrets for you."

Wondering about their plans with Davros and Gorm, Heather allows herself to accept this deal. As much as she wishes to ingratiate herself with the Hunters Guild, refusing the request of a government official could hurt in the long run.

Gamblerjoe
2013-01-25, 11:39 PM
Jasper

Jasper waits until the servants have left the room. "Okay gentlemen, here's what I can do for you. I can alter my appearance and find a way to join this syndicate of thieves. I can gather information about them allowing us to take the correct course of action."

Cleavon
2013-01-25, 11:59 PM
Wilt tilted his head a little bit as he thought about Jaspers offer.

"Are yeh sure about that Master Jasper? I know one of the reasons you were brought along was your talents..they came highly recommended of course...but it just sounds dangerous. Tis your choice naturally but I simply fear for the safety of someone I've known as a traveling companion and friend."

Ribal seems to think on it for a moment, and then shrugs his shoulders.

"We pride ourselves on our stealth and recon work here in Brindol, we have an entire branch of the military devoted to covert operations. I was actually quite upset to find that I could not get much help from them, given their need to help the war effort. If you can uncover any information through these tactics it would probably prove to be most helpful..."

Angstrom
2013-01-29, 07:18 PM
"If you think you'll be successful Jasper, I will help in whatever way I can. Master Tennem's agents surely have valuable information, and an opportunity to review what they know about our quarry would be ideal. Would you allow us that Master Tennem?"

I'm totally fine with letting you and Joe do your thing. Heather will, however, take any opportunity to build relationships with members of Brindol's major organizations. Its not brown-nosing so much as getting her name out there.

In the meantime, she'll write out a few new formulae into her recipe book and enact her shopping. If Gorm is available, she'll ask him along to ensure she is not getting swindled.

Gamblerjoe
2013-01-29, 10:20 PM
Jasper

"Oh it would by my pleasure gentlemen. Ill take any opportunity to help perfect my craft. It would seem that each of us has our own unique abilities that could help solve this problem."

Cleavon
2013-01-31, 07:17 PM
Dinner is called soon after the conversation dies down, and the spread before you is quite delicious. Frog cut in different varieties, skewered and roasted with spices, basked with vegetables and smothered with gravy and some grilled with a sticky sweet sauce poured over it. Hearty bread and strong mead and wine served as well.

Once everyone has eaten their fill Ribal Tennem invites you all to the balcony for a smoke, the Hobgoblin Empire known for fine cigar like smokables, made from various herbs grown throughout the countryside. The smell is strong and slightly sweet, with thick thick smoke. Wine is served as well, and of course both wine and smoking are optional, but Ribal seems to enjoy both quite well.

As it grows later Wilt takes his leave, and you accompany him back to his inn before retiring to your own.

Gamblerjoe
2013-02-06, 05:16 AM
Jasper

Jasper heads to Garob's Hall, a local seedy gambling joint. He befriends some of the regulars and meets one who does occasional work that closely resembles what the bandits were conducting. A goblin named Zetub and his half brother haul "dead weight" roughly once a week.

"So Zetub tells me that there aren't any job openings at the moment. The way I see it, if we can find a way to tie up Zetub's half brother, I can get in. The first step though, is finding him. I don't even know what he looks like."

Gorthok
2013-02-06, 05:43 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

Sitting in her room at the Inn, a knock at the door startles Khrona. She walks over and open the door, Jasper standing just outside.

"Oh, hello there, Mr. Jasper. How may I help you at the moment?"

After listening to Jasper's tale and following request, Khrona remembers Gorm showing them to the local wand maker that morning.

"I can visit the wand maker in the morning and see what kind of spell I can procure for your specific 'problem'."

Goes to Mort the Wand Maker, purchases one Wand of Locate Person for 2000 gold. Roll for the UMD use is in the OOC thread.

Gamblerjoe
2013-02-06, 05:50 AM
Jasper

Jasper and Khrona go to locate Zetub's half brother. They find what they presume to be his home in a crowded goblin slum. They casually wait for him to leave so they can get a good look at him. Now that they know what he looks like, they return to the rest of the group to plan their next move.

Angstrom
2013-02-08, 12:16 AM
"So, you two find anything interesting?"

Seated at a booth in the inn, Heather is enjoying a local boardgame at a table with several boisterous hobgoblins. "Anything I should know?" her tone is festive and light, but when they make eye contact its clear to the returning adventurers she can be ready at a moment's notice.

So I don't actually know how much you guys did in your investigation segment. What's the plan?

Stormwind
2013-02-08, 02:51 AM
Whilst Jasper and Khrona attempt to gather information within the city, Ilmarinen speaks to Wilt, "Could you convey a request to our friend Ribal: If it would be possible for him to organize an individual to accompany us on a brief sojourn out of the city, an individual capable of speaking with the dead, then we might determine if the deceased individuals involved with the wagon are able to answer a few questions."

Once Jasper and Khrona return, Ilmarinen is quietly enjoying a glass of red wine as he lounges in front of the warm stone fireplace in the common room of the inn.

Cleavon
2013-02-08, 05:16 AM
Ilmarinen
While Jasper and Khrona are out, Wilt and Ribal arrange for a Cleric of the Martyr to be made available to cast Speak with Dead on one of the corpses that is buried near the battle site on the road. They let you know that the cleric will be able to ask four questions of the spirit, and are willing to take suggestions for suitable questions if you have any, else Ribal will come up with them himself.

Stormwind
2013-02-08, 06:36 AM
Prior to Jasper and Khrona's return (GM)
Ilmarinen writes a note which he gives Wilt to pass on to Ribal:
Potential questions:
Who were you working for, on this job with the wagon of Crenshaws Wine and Spirits?
Who or where were you to deliver the wagon of Crenshaws Wine and Spirits to?
Did you belong to a thieves guild, or some equivalent organization, in Brindol?

If the answer to the third question is yes, then
Who runs the guild?

Gamblerjoe
2013-02-08, 04:36 PM
Jasper

"Well I know where our mark lives and what he looks like. I never got his name; didn't want to draw too much suspicion. Im wondering what you folks think we should do. We need to remove him from the picture in order to create a job opening for me to fill.

They seem like decent goblin folk. I doubt they are even aware of whom they are dealing with. They must realize something is going on given the amount they are paid for such mundane work, but I dont think they realize how dangerous these guys are. The way I see it, we would be doing them a favor distancing them from these thugs.

So, any suggestions?"

Gorthok
2013-02-23, 04:23 AM
Khrona, Mistress of Time

"Hmmm... I believe, Sir Jasper, keeping our own involvement in this mission is best. Perhaps we could ask Sir Ribal to send out a warrent for this goblin's arrest?"

Stormwind
2013-02-26, 12:07 PM
Ilmarinen nods quietly in agreements with Khrona's idea, "Perhaps just having him picked up for questioning would be sufficient?"

Cleavon
2013-03-03, 07:34 PM
Once it is decided to ask for Ribal Tennems help, It takes a few hours to get a meeting with him. He mulls over the information put forth and then decides that the lead is credible enough to invoke action.

"Well, seeing that we are still technically unsure if this activity is truly linked to our suspected thieves guild perhaps we should use a bit of tact. I'll have him picked up for something innocuous. Public drunkenness is still a minor crime and I am sure we can catch him walking to or from one of the goblin drinking establishments near where you found him. It may take a few days to set up a plausible reason for taking him in that won't raise suspicion with his brother. I'll leave a message with Wilt once we've managed to remove him carefully and quietly from the streets."

After speaking to Ribal Tennem, Gorm finds you at the Inn you're staying at and informs you that he is free to take you back into the swamp to hunt. Your pass is for five days and Gorm is ready to go whenever you are.

Angstrom
2013-03-04, 02:35 PM
"Gorm, its great to see you! How are you?" Heather is full of energy as she pulls all the straps on her haversack into place. She has new footwraps with leather sandals over top, several more lengths of wrapping in her pack. Five days in the Great Swamp is a once in a lifetime experience for most humans. Such a chance could not be wasted.

Stormwind
2013-03-07, 11:50 AM
Ilmarinen slides his leather satchel over one shoulder and slides it behind his back where it won't hinder access to his ebony blade. Unconsciously gripping the handle of the blade, albeit briefly, Ilmarinen nods to Heather and Gorm, ready to depart as soon as the others have completed their preparations.

Cleavon
2013-03-08, 01:21 AM
Ilmarinen

The cleric of the Martyr comes to you with a report on what they found. They unearthed the two bodies that you buried. One was too destroyed to ask questions too (The spell requires his mouth be intact and the early onset of rot and the weight of dirt and stones had destroyed the better part of his head.) The second was able to answer questions. He answered:

1: We were working for ourselves, trying to establish a smuggling ring to make money.

2: We were going to try and smuggle them across the border into the Conclave lands.

3: No.

The cleric assures you that the dead can be quite tricky, and he has a strong feeling that the spirit was deceitful. He informs you that it is not a perfect science trying to speak with the dead. The spirit seemed apprehensive in its answering and he adamantly feels that it was trying to deceive him.

Gamblerjoe
2013-03-11, 11:52 PM
Jasper

Jasper finishes his shopping and organizes his gear. He meets up with Gorm to get their paperwork all in order.

Cleavon
2013-03-16, 08:35 PM
Jasper and Gorm get the permits filed away in your groups ledger while Ilmarinen and Heather make sure the horses are packed and ready for your hunting trip. Ribal Tennem shows you off, assuring you that he'll have things sorted out when you return from your hunting trip.

Gorm leads you straight back towards the Mongrelmen ruins. He seems eager to be back out in the swamp, looking for clues and information. He is quick to speak with anyone who wishes to, mostly about the swap itself or about how dangerous the lizardfolk must be, harboring all the resentment towards the civilized folk.

You come to the ruins by much the same route, but once you are within a few hundred yards Gorm instructs everyone to stop.

"No game at all. Odd. Swamp is always full of noise..."

He dismounts and preps the horses, leaving them damong a stand of thick alders. As you move towards the ruins you can soon hear a barking guttural voice.

"Get out here you little runts...you best be breeding like we told you too. We've no end of use for slaves..and your strong backs best be making more strong backs!"

Heather is able to spot the culprits. Two large lanky trolls stand nearby, one barely around the corner of the ruin on the far side. the other stands next to a smaller but powerfully built creature, his scaled body humanoid and the club he carries ridged with deadly sharp stone spikes. The frill atop his head makes him unmistakable. This must be a Lizardman. What stands on the far side of him though is even worse. Its smell can be picked up from there. It looks stockier than the other trolls, and two heads sit atop its shoulders. This snarling creature must be what drove off the natural denizens of the swamp.

You see no sign of the mongrelmen complying yet.

Positions!

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/SlaveTakersRnd0_zps923d81dc.png

Round 0. The Enemies seem to have no idea you are there. Everyone is entitled to a surprise action (A standard or Move action, before we roll initiative.)

Angstrom
2013-03-17, 01:35 AM
While they ride through the swamp, Heather chats idly with Gorm about the swamp environment, the hobgoblin people, the Hunters Guild, and the lizardfolk. Racial animosity was what kept humans like her out of business in the Emperor's lands, but if the hatred of the lizardfolk could be enough to unify the Conclave races and the hobgoblins it was worth stereotyping.

When Gorm signals them to be wary, she dismounts and looks warily around. Slipping two flasks from her bandolier, she passes one to Ilmarinen but places the other in Khrona's hands. "To stay safe." she says as she joins Gorm to advance slowly on the ruins.

"Get out here you little runts...you best be breeding like we told you too. We've no end of use for slaves..and your strong backs best be making more strong backs!"

Heather lays low against the corner of the ruins, using two fingers to gesture to that she had spotted something around the corner. Signalling Gorm to take her position, she quietly steps backwards, unslings her pack, and begins dispensing alchemicals. Whispering under her breath, she once again looks to Gorm for guidance, "Slavery is an abomination. No one deserves that fate, certainly not those folk in there who were kind to us. That's a lizardman though. Gorm, can we intervene without breaking treaties?"

If Gorm indicates that they should prepare for a fight, Heather continues whispering to the others. Her face is grim and serious, though a flicker of red excitement flashes behind her eyes. "Trolls won't stop fighting until they're burnt with either acid or fire. I brought both. We don't want them taking hostages, so I'll aim to block the doorway. Gorm, if you fire from here to support us and Ilmarinen works his magic to flank with me in the doorway we can end this before it even begins."

Heather gave Ilmarinen an extract of shield and Khrona an extract of fly.

If planning for battle occurs, she gives a flask of acid and alchemists fire to Khrona, Jasper, and Gorm, asking that they coordinate their use to that the troll being targeted by the melee fighters gets coated continuously. Gorm is probably the most accurate (assumption that he has precise shot) so should probably be the one throwing into melee. Do we want to give him Heather's extract of fly (the one she gave Khrona) so that he can drop them from above?

Heather's plan is for her to try and stealthily get on top of the building, maybe with Khrona flying up there too, and then drop to the ground at f,g-11,12 to block access to the Mongrelmen and hopefully pull off a surprise round partial-charge sneak attack on the lizardfolk. If Ilmarinen charges the troll so that on her next round Heather will be able to full attack sneak attack that would be perfect. If Jasper or Ilmarinen hastes us before attacking he should be able to charge far enough although, since all these large guys have reach, provoking AoOs will be unavoidable.

If the lizardman is a caster then Heather will grapple him after the troll is down, but if we're up against a lot of brutes she *should* be able to hold the line if Khrona slows the enemies.

Buffs: Mutagen, GMF+alchemical allocation, barkskin, enlarge person, animal aspect (greater gorilla), shield.

Gamblerjoe
2013-03-18, 11:20 PM
Jasper

Jasper quickly casts a spell, expecting trouble. Best to be prepared for the worst!

Performance: 27/27
Spells: 6/4/1(6/4/2)

Jasper Casts Good Hope hitting the entire party.

Each affected creature gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls.

Stormwind
2013-03-19, 09:39 AM
Ilmarinen nods, and comments quietly "We have surprise - it should be enough to get into position".
After ensuring that his protective wards are up, Ilmarinen then drinks the extract that Heather gave him before he casts something on the group and then he waits with his black blade bared, waiting on Heather's first move.Preparation
(Standard action) Drink the Shield extract
(Standard action) Cast Haste affecting everyone in our group

Arcane pool [7/7]

Effects
Good hope [+2 morale bonus on saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls] (7 minutes)
Haste [+1 attack, +1 AC, +1 Reflex; +30 speed; additional attack on Full attack] (7 rounds)
Shield [+4 shield to AC] (7 minutes)

Angstrom
2013-03-19, 09:27 PM
"Indeed, though I think you should try and stay hidden until we know if they are hostile or not. Though I doubt a signal will be necessary either way, I will specify 'bird' as the trigger for launching an ambush."

Fully prepared, Heather ascends to the roof of the building as quietly as she can. She creeps forwards to the edge of the building while the others get into position. Judging the time right she leaps down from the roof, landing in the doorway.

"Good afternoon sirs, how are you today?"

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Invite the lizardman and trolls to make the first move.

Ready standard action, power attack beak attack: [roll2], [roll3]+[roll4]electric

Stormwind
2013-03-20, 04:53 AM
Even as Heather makes her appearance, Ilmarinen is moving, taking advantage of both haste and surprise to move into position. Once he stands behind the troll, Ilmarinen merely concentrates and his ebony blade erupts with dark fire, the flames literally dancing on the blade as he stands ... immobile ... waiting ...
Surprise round
(move action) move to (f,15) - No AoO's due to enemies being flat-footed
(swift action) Enhance blade (+1 flaming) [-1AP]

Arcane pool [6/7]

Effects
Enhance blade [black blade +3 flaming] (1 minute)
Good hope [+2 morale bonus on saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls] (7 minutes)
Haste [+1 attack, +1 AC, +1 Reflex; +30 speed; additional attack on Full attack] (6 rounds)

Cleavon
2013-03-20, 11:53 PM
As Heather appears in front of the motley group, the lizardmans eyes go wide for a second. His snarling voice changes to a hiss as he sees Ilmarinen move in behind them.

"What are you waiting for you idiots, Kill them and get the little ones!"

The trolls are surely going to begin to move.

Gorm slips up to the corner of the ruined building with his bow draw and an arrow knocked.

Gorthok
2013-03-22, 04:55 AM
Khrona

After hearing the plan set out by both Heather and Illmarinen, Khrona quaffs down the sapphire liquid handed to her by Heather. Hoping that she wouldn't start to shapechange, Khrona's body seems to lighten to that of a feather blown by the wind. Taking the chance to remove herself from harm, as Illmarinen sneaks behind the lumbering oafs accompanying the lizardman, Khrona flies off the ground and hovers at a very safe distance to support her compatriots.

Buff Round: Drink the Extract of Fly given to her by Heather
Surprise Round: Fly to [16,P] and hover 25 feet off the ground. Hopefully well out of troll reach! :D

Active Effects
Fly
Haste (6 rounds)

Gamblerjoe
2013-03-23, 12:19 AM
Jasper

"Evil trolls and wicked lizards, burn em down and stab thier gizzards. We'll win this battle without a hitch, then roll the bodies into a ditch!" Jasper conclude's this first stanza with a quick casting of blur on Ilmarinen.

Performance: 26/27
Spells: 6/4/1(6/4/2)

Current Performance

Cleavon
2013-03-23, 01:13 AM
Current Positions
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/BrujahKirk/SlaveTakerRound1_zps9a0d431c.png

Heather: I hope that is the spot you meant, at any rate you still give Ilmarinen flanking bonus on the scrag and can reach the lizardman and Scrag as well.

As everyone moves into position the lizardman and his troll companions look sure to attack. The scrag snarls with vicious intent and Heather lashes out and her beak slashes a great furrow down the trolls shoulder to its chest, the edges crackling with hints of electricity.

Everyone

Everyone but Khrona can take their first round actions, then I'll move the monsters.

Stormwind
2013-03-23, 07:54 AM
In a sudden explosion of movement, Ilmarinen's ebony blade suddenly slices towards the troll-like scrag before him ... once .... twice ... and yet a third time, leaving a glowing rune on the burning body before he takes a step towards the lizardman.
Round 1
(swift action) Arcane strike (+2 damage)
(full attack action) Spell combat/Spellstrike vs Scrag at (f,14)
(Attack) Black blade [roll0] melee [roll1] plus [roll2] fire (crit 18-20)
(Spellstrike) Cast arcane mark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-mark); Concentration unnecessary (as enemies are still flat-footed)
(Spellstrike attack) Black blade [roll3](confirm [33 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14950468&postcount=249)]) melee [roll4] plus [roll5]fire(confirm [16 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14950468&postcount=249)] plus [2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14950468&postcount=249)]fire) plus Arcane mark (crit 18-20)
(Haste Attack) Black blade [roll6](confirm [38 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14950468&postcount=249)]) melee [roll7] plus [roll8] fire(confirm [20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14950468&postcount=249)] plus [2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14950468&postcount=249)]fire) (crit 18-20)
(free action) 5ft step to (e,14)

Arcane pool [6/7]

Effects
Arcane strike [+2 damage] (1 round)
Blur [concealment: 20% miss chance] (7 minutes)
Enhance blade [black blade +3 flaming] (9 rounds)
Haste [+1 attack, +1 AC, +1 Reflex; +30 speed; additional attack on Full attack] (5 rounds)
Inspire courage [+2 saves vs charm/fear; +2 attack/damage]

Angstrom
2013-03-23, 12:22 PM
"Not well I take it."

Ripping her beak free of the troll's shoulder, a grim flash of excitement plays across her eyes as the elf tears the monster several new ones. "Of course not." she mutters as she leaps at the lizardman.

One grappled enemy commander coming up.

Grapple: [roll0] (BAB+size bonus+strength+animal aspect+improved grapple. Not sure if the haste, good hope, and inspire courage add to CMB so I left them out.

Cleavon
2013-03-24, 10:40 PM
Gorm

Seeing Ilmarinen cleave through one troll and Heather grab onto the Lizardman, he sends his volley of arrows towards the two headed troll.

Attack!

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Extra Damage
[roll3]

Attack2
[roll4]

Damage2